Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

On 1/28/2017 at 4:30 PM, VCRTracking said:

If anybody wants to see how funny Burr could be, they should look up his appearance on the Jack Benny Show.

Heck yea. Came across them via Youtube awhile back, here's a link to the post. The videos still work too.

And here's one where he was on KopyKats, Bizbuzz linked to it originally.

And try to look up about his practical jokes! Barbara Hale talked about them sometimes in interviews.

• Love 1

Now that it's been reported that Oprah will be a special correspondent for 60 Minutes it makes sense to me why she and Gayle had that special for Mary Tyler Moore on CBS. Oprah taking the opportunity to get herself out there for her new network.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, BW Manilowe said:

Asia frontman John Wetton dead at age 67, from colon cancer.

I shall think about 4x4 rows of tv monitors and that it's been 35 years since...

"And now you find yourself in '82, the disco hot-spots hold no charm for you..."

• Love 4
1 hour ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

And try to look up about his practical jokes! Barbara Hale talked about them sometimes in interviews.

You might find it in the Emmy site? The interview she did that was in the 50th anniversary DVD has her talking about how she got hired, the jokes Raymond played on her, how Dean (blanking on his last name) didn't know that William Katt was her son when he suggested that  Katt play Paul Drake, Jr. for the return movie, etc. You can see the love and affection she had for Raymond and she gets very emotional at the end. She was a beautiful woman. 

And I'll never forget how creepy Raymond Burr was in Rear Window.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, King of Birds said:

I shall think about 4x4 rows of tv monitors and that it's been 35 years since...

"And now you find yourself in '82, the disco hot-spots hold no charm for you..."

I loved 'Asia'.  So young...too young.

The artist who created the MTM statue was not a man, but a woman named Gwendolyn Gillen.  She was from Wisconsin. 

From the article in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel after her death - found at http://www.jsonline.com/story/entertainment/arts/2017/01/31/gwen-gillen-created-mary-tyler-moore-bronze/97253358/ 

Gillen said one of the toughest parts of the sculpture was capturing the toss.  "I actually practiced throwing the hat to find out when it left the hand," Gillen said in 2001. "It comes out between 75 and 80 degrees on the slant. So I'm showing it at just between 78 and 80 degrees, with the hat just touching the fingers of her extended right hand, and the thumb open."

• Love 9

He was only 37, and it sounds like an accidental drowning after going scuba diving. 

He was doing extreme technical diving just before this occurred. He and his partner had done three dives down to 230 feet that day using re-breathers (they were filming a new documentary). His dive partner passed out shortly after entering the boat and had to be revived with oxygen. When they looked back into the water, Rob was gone. It is thought the he passed out as well.

It would seem that something went wrong on that dive or with their equipment or... They were both very skilled divers, but accidents happen.  Technical diving is tricky.

Here is a more in-depth article from Outside.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Sonny Geraci, frontman for the bands The Outsiders & Climax (I think they were aka Climax Blues Band)--the latter band was best known for the song Precious and Few--dead at age 69.

Just to clarify: Climax was an American band that broke up in the 70s and Climax Blues Band is an English band (still together even!) most people probably know their song "I Love You".

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Bear McCreary hurst post to Twitter that Richard Hatch passed away. 

I remember watching the reruns of the original BSG when I was a kid. He was one of my first crushes. He is the real Apollo to me forever. :(

• Love 5

Richard Hatch, the original Captain Apollo, dead at 71 from pancreatic cancer.

First of all, how the hell did Richard Hatch get to be 71.   He should be 35 tops.  RIGHT?????

Second, because this is a perennial, FUCK YOU CANCER.

Third, I had such a crush on him.   So sad he is gone.   I see 2017 is trying to give 2016 a run for its money (that was not a fucking challenge 2017).

• Love 8

I heard about Richard Hatch.  Although I didn't watch the original Battlestar Galactica (It was a little before my time)  I did enjoy the remake.  Richard Hatch played Tom Zarek in 22 episode of the series.   I loved that the show took what might have been a one note character and turned him into a driving force and a thorn in alot of peoples sides. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, merylinkid said:

First of all, how the hell did Richard Hatch get to be 71.   He should be 35 tops.  RIGHT?????

No kidding.  I think that was the bigger shock to me than the fact that he had died.  I just can't picture what he'd have looked like at 71 because I'm too used to the handsome 30-something from my late teens.

RIP, Mr. Hatch.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, roamyn said:

Waaaaaaaahhhhhhh!

I had the biggest crush on Captain Apollo.  Starbucks was too playboy, and Boomer was too bland.

So did I.  He was my first crush as a teenager (after Jonathan Frid when I was like 7).  I thought Apollo was perfection.  

71 was a good run, but damn, so sad.  

• Love 2
8 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Second, because this is a perennial, FUCK YOU CANCER.

Third, I had such a crush on him.   So sad he is gone.   I see 2017 is trying to give 2016 a run for its money (that was not a fucking challenge 2017).

I thought Richard was younger, too. I would have guessed he was 55, not 71. RIP.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

British comedy writer Alan Simpson dies at age 87. He & his writing partner were responsible for Steptoe & Son, the British comedy from which Norman Lear developed Sanford & Son.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2017/02/08/british-comedy-writer-alan-simpson-dies-87/97641688/

Interesting, I wonder how he felt about the US creation. Also, it should be noted that it was during a rerun of the British show, that BBC2 made a horrible on-air blunder in 2002 when the network interrupted the show to tell viewers to 'stand by for an important announcement' and went to dead air while occasionally repeating that plea for FIVE MINUTES until the network finally joined BBC1 to announce the Queen Mother's death. I wonder how Mr. Simpson felt about his viewers thinking that the world might  about to come to an end for so long.

• Love 1

Article in the Telegraph, T-P-T says she took medication and the tumour had gone away. I will wait for further confirmation as to cause of death. Maybe her cocaine abuse weakened her system and it was a heart attack. There seem to be a lot of people dying from drug abuse in their youth.

And Mike spent a lot of his money investing and donating to metro Detroit and its residents. No one person can save that city, but he more than did his part to try.

I just wish that the Tigers could have won a World Series for him while he was still alive; he was first a baseball guy before anything else.

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, roamyn said:

RIP, Mel Hal & Al.

it's worrisome to have lost all three men in 24 hours, but they lived long lives

"Mel"?  Mel Gibson is still very much alive, as far as I know.  I think you mean "Mike", as in Mike Ilitch, don't you?

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 2

I still quote from Moonlighting with some regularity, so that theme song is absolutely what I think of when I hear Al Jarreau's name.  (In fact, I found out about his death not via this thread, but by email from one of a group of people with whom I occasionally gather to watch favorite episodes of the show.)  I know nothing about him as a person, but that song has made me smile for over 30 years now.

• Love 2