Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

36 minutes ago, roamyn said:

He didn't like that movie.  Felt that he was portrayed as too much of a "goody two shoes".

I never knew that in Korea, his co-pilot was Ted Williams (THE Boston Red Sox Ted Williams).

And they took liberties with Gus Grissom and Chuck Yeager too. But the movie does a really good job of catching the spirit of the moment when the country was still willing to do such bold and crazy things and try to climb from the shoulders of giants to the stars.

• Love 6
58 minutes ago, roamyn said:

I never knew that in Korea, his co-pilot was Ted Williams (THE Boston Red Sox Ted Williams).

He wasn't - they were squadron mates and Williams flew as Glenn's wing man on many missions, but they were flying single-seat Grumman Panthers, so Williams couldn't be his copilot.

The Right Stuff was a little over the top in spots, but overall was a very good movie.  The book was even better.

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 4

Rip John Glenn a pioneer of space.

So all week I've been reading articles about Kirk Douglas turning 100 and I've wanted to yell STAHP you're gonna curse it's two thousand and freaking sixteen.  But he made it.  Happy 100th Kirk!  Some happy news in a year of make-it-stop deaths.

• Love 12
On 12/4/2016 at 7:20 PM, Ohwell said:

RIP, Billy Chapin.  If you've ever seen Night of the Hunter, you'll remember him as the kid and his little sister escaping from Robert Mitchum..

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/billy-chapin-dead-child-actor-night-hunter-dies-1201933160/

Lauren Chapin's brother! As in, Kitten from Father Knows Best's older brother. I've seen her E! True Hollywood Story, and their childhoods (along with their older brother, Michael's) were a living hell. As if their father sexually abusing Lauren wasn't enough, their mother was a mean alcoholic who openly favored Billy over Lauren, even when Lauren became more successful (maybe BECAUSE of it), and allowed him to torture her. Luckily, I think they realized how toxic their parents were in forming their relationships later on, and got along great. RIP, Billy.

And now: 

Stefano on Days Of Our Lives may have had more than nine lives, but alas, his actor, Joseph Mascolo, will not. RIP, Joe. http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/joseph-mascolo-dead-dies-days-of-our-lives-1201938400/

• Love 1
1 hour ago, UYI said:

Lauren Chapin's brother! As in, Kitten from Father Knows Best's older brother. I've seen her E! True Hollywood Story, and their childhoods (along with their older brother, Michael's) were a living hell. As if their father sexually abusing Lauren wasn't enough, their mother was a mean alcoholic who openly favored Billy over Lauren, even when Lauren became more successful (maybe BECAUSE of it), and allowed him to torture her. Luckily, I think they realized how toxic their parents were in forming their relationships later on, and got along great. RIP, Billy.

I knew he was Lauren Chapin's brother but I didn't know they had such a hellish childhood.  That's so sad.  What's even sadder is that he probably thought about his childhood when playing a child in Night of the Hunter escaping his abusive, murderous, psychopathic stepfather.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, kittykat said:

Rip John Glenn a pioneer of space.

So all week I've been reading articles about Kirk Douglas turning 100 and I've wanted to yell STAHP you're gonna curse it's two thousand and freaking sixteen.  But he made it.  Happy 100th Kirk!  Some happy news in a year of make-it-stop deaths.

It was the same way with Ramona Quimby author Beverly Cleary turning 100-- for the longest time, I read articles about how that classic children's author was turning 100, and I hoped and prayed that she would make it and not be cut down short, thus invalidating all the articles about her centennial. She made it though, and I hope she sees a 101st birthday.

• Love 6
On 12/8/2016 at 1:27 PM, roamyn said:

John Glenn has now passed away.

The former Sen., astronaut & WWII vet was 95.

All Ohio is in mourning for her native son.

I always roll my eyes at statements like this.  Years ago, now, a warehouse burned down in MA, 7 firemen died.   The headlines said, "The country is in mourning!"   Well, no, no it wasn't.  The friends and family were but the entire country?   The sad part is that someone said a homeless couple was seen living in there at some point.  So 7 men lost their lives on the chance two people might have been in it.  Anyway there is an interesting story on the aftermath, that is way off topic for here and there is no other thread that will work.  

The short of it was donations totaling in the millions came rolling in to help the families (over 1 mil a piece!).  They actually asked for volunteers to help them with thank you notes!  They got no help! 

Faulty Towers is one of my all time favorite TV shows and is in my top 10.  Andrew's death reminded me and now I will go look to see if the series is available anywhere.   I would love to watch it again.  One of the best ever series!  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, wings707 said:

Faulty Towers is one of my all time favorite TV shows and is in my top 10.  Andrew's death reminded me and now I will go look to see if the series is available anywhere.   I would love to watch it again.  One of the best ever series!  

For about $25, you can have the entire series on DVD from Amazon

I get mine out every now and then, this weekend may be a good time for a re-watch.

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

For about $25, you can have the entire series on DVD from Amazon

I get mine out every now and then, this weekend may be a good time for a re-watch.

Thank you!  Now, where the hell did I put that DVD player?  I hope I didn't toss it when I moved.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, wings707 said:

I always roll my eyes at statements like this.  

Seriously?  I'm sorry if you didn't like my statement, but Sen. Glenn was the longest serving Senator in our state.  More important to Ohioans than his exemplary military, aeronautics, and business career.

And yes, the loss of ANY first responder is a National Tragedy.  Doesn't matter what state they're from, tho obviously it affects others worse.

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, roamyn said:

Seriously?  I'm sorry if you didn't like my statement, but Sen. Glenn was the longest serving Senator in our state.  More important to Ohioans than his exemplary military, aeronautics, and business career.

And yes, the loss of ANY first responder is a National Tragedy.  Doesn't matter what state they're from, tho obviously it affects others worse.

Nothing personal about your statement!  The news tends to exaggerate and that was my point.  Sure people, in Ohio, are moved by his life and contributions but I question the word grieving.  Grief is a very strong emotion to use for a public figure who has had a long life.   Your spouse, relative, close friend, sure.  It is usually an emotion that is very deep, often debilitating and personal.  

If you are in grief, I am sorry for your loss.  I meant no offense.  I come in peace.  :^)

Edited by wings707
16 hours ago, jennifer6973 said:

Well, he will be now, because no one else can (or shouldn't) play him

You're right. 

There are just some characters that can't be recast. Stefano is certainly one of them.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, wings707 said:

Nothing personal about your statement!  The news tends to exaggerate and that was my point.  Sure people, in Ohio, are moved by his life and contributions but I question the word grieving.  Grief is a very strong emotion to use for a public figure who has had a long life.   Your spouse, relative, close friend, sure.  It is usually an emotion that is very deep, often debilitating and personal.  

If you are in grief, I am sorry for your loss.  I meant no offense.  I come in peace.  :^)

Thank you.  I'm not grieving for him personally, I only met him once - briefly, but I grieve for what we've lost. His kind was rare - even Neil Armstrong wasn't as popular or revered in Ohio. 

Peace to you, too. And safe holidays!

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 3

Buzz Aldrin was in the news which made me Google him, no idea what compelled me!  Seems he was a bit of a bastard to his 3 wives.  Never paid much attention to astronauts private lives.  OTT, apologies.  Now watch, he will die and I will be a person of interest! 

17 hours ago, jennifer6973 said:

Well, he will be now, because no one else can (or shouldn't) play him

44 minutes ago, rcc said:

You're right. 

There are just some characters that can't be recast. Stefano is certainly one of them.

Agreed. And Days tried to recast him in 1986, I think? for a short time, by casting George Del Hoyo, and it was disastrous. I think it was only for a month or so?

I remember when I started to watch Days and saw Mascalo for the first time, I yelled: "Hey! It's that smarmy asshole from Jaws II!"

I've always loved him. May he rest in peace.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Agnes was always my favorite character in Meet Me in St. Louis.  R.I.P. Joan Carroll.

Meet Me in St. Louis was just on TCM last night.  All the characters in the film were great. 

Well, damn! 2016 is killing it! My mom just had someone she knew drop dead of a heart attack. He was in his 40s, active lifestyle, totally unexpected. 

Alan has been active in a ton of recent projects. It's not like he faded into oblivion after Growing Pains. 

And I think today was Dick Van Dykes 91st birthday! 

I can't  hate on 2016 too much since I did have some pretty remarkable events happen in my life but really, 2016 can offer us a Christmas Miracle right about now and give us a reprieve. 

• Love 1

I'll always remember the Growing Pains theme song "Show me that smile again...."

As I get older the more I realize what a shitty kid Mike Seaver was and that his parents Jason and Maggie had the patience of saints.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 8

My favorite moment with Alan Thicke was from the pilot of Growing Pains...Thanks to him, I never heard this song the same way....

I also knew someone who loved and worked with Alan for years.....as a personal assistant...still spoke highly of him right up until he died in September..to lose both in the same year...really strange...

• Love 5

I really liked Alan Thicke's voice.  And some of the TV theme songs he and Gloria Loring wrote -- Diff'rent Strokes and The Facts of Life were far from my favorite shows, but I liked the songs.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 8

Now THAT is shocking, especially since I just watched him make an appearance on the Netflix series, Fuller House, earlier this week. Hell, he was still very much active in other projects this year. It definitely feels more shocking when you watch these people on TV and movies right up until their deaths. I think it makes the death of a celebrity a little bit harder to swallow.

I guess a fun fact is that my mom's old chiropractor was the sister of Alan, so I grew up hearing a couple of stories that she told my mom. Plus, there were so many photos of Alan and his career in the chiropractic office. 

69 may not be really young, but it's still an age where you don't really expect someone to really die. Plus, he really did seem like a good guy. 

Edited by Lady Calypso
  • Love 5
17 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

It definitely feels more shocking when you watch these people on TV and movies right up until their deaths. I think it makes the death of a celebrity a little bit harder to swallow.

Yes! I couldn't put my finger on it until I read your post - that is exactly why it's so shocking. I just saw him in a couple of things, and he was looking great. Well damn.

• Love 1

Damn, 2016 needs to stop messing w/ my childhood. Too many icons  taken this year.

Growing Pains was the 1st sitcom I really remember watching, when I was still too young to really understand the plots.  Alan Thicke has always popped up randomly as a guest star in various shows I've watched over the years, and I've always enjoyed  seeing him. My love for him waned a little when Robin turned out to be an epic douche, but I still enjoyed his acting. Just saw him on Fuller House and would have never pegged him for 69. 

RIP Mr. Thicke aka Dr Seaver.

• Love 7