Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 1:04 PM, kili said:

Apparently, the vehicle that killed Anton had been recalled in April..."Fiat Chrysler in April recalled more than 1.1 million cars and SUVs worldwide because vehicles may roll away after drivers exit, an issue linked to 41 injuries." The article goes onto say that the company hoped to have a permanent solution to the problem by Q4. What was the temporary solution, had it been applied and did it work?

My mother had a vehicle that was recalled to fix a problem that had caused deaths and she was told by the dealer it would take a couple of months before her car could be updated (waiting for a part that was back-ordered due to the high-demand because of the recall). She was told to just be careful until then.  She was not happy. So, even if they had recalled the car, it doesn't mean the problem had been fixed (or it was the cause of this accident).

Apologies, I got four pages behind.

I recently called the Jeep dealership to report my (new to me) 2012 Jeep had the throttle stick wide open and I had to stand on the brake with both feet at a highway merge to avoid getting broadsided by a semi.  The repairs department didn't have an appointment open for two weeks.  I said, "You understand I'm telling you this car nearly killed me and it's not safe to drive, right?"  He said sorry, summer's a busy time for us.

I canceled a road trip and spent two weeks grinding the last gears out of an '84 Toyota pickup., The dealership replaced a part and charged me an arm and a leg. 

Shit happens . . . but now this thread has my head spinning.

• Love 3

First, I didn't realize that Steven Hill was on the first season of MI until the DVD's came out some years ago. Second, I didn't realize the reason he was replaced by Peter Graves was that he was an Orthodox Jew and would not work on the Sabbath. R.I.P Mr. Hill.

• Love 1

Jeanne Martin was a cousin of my father.   I never understood the exact relationship, but he had an uncle in Florida who gambled a lot.  I don't know if that was her father.  Jeanne was considered quite scandalous back then, since she moved in with Dean while he was still married to his first wife.   I had no idea that she was still alive until her son Ricci died, and it was mentioned in the obituaries. 

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jeanne-martin-dead-wife-dean-922701?utm_source=twitter

Yikes, that article has a slideshow of Hollywood's notable deaths of 2016.  There were quite a few more recognizable character actors whose names I never knew.  

Edited by atomationage

The thing about the Jeep transmission is that it was NOT a "defect". It is an unusual design, which was dropped pretty quickly because customers didn't like it.

Now while I'm actually OK with NHTSA at some point forcing standardization of automatic transmission design, it's not a requirement now. FCA did nothing wrong technically other than design a bad UI. And BMW and Audi use similar designs. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Dammit, isn't that the second Alice cast member this year?  Someone better check on Linda Lavin.

Yeah, and let's make sure Polly Holiday's okay, too, even if she seems to have completely dropped off the 'Hollywood radar' despite(because of?) her onetime popularity as Flo!

6 hours ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

The link didn't work. It lead back to the forums.

Here's the article.

So sad to see :(. RIP sir. Top Cat seems so familiar some how.

If you're over about 50, you'll remember watching it as a child on Saturday mornings.  

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

If you're over about 50, you'll remember watching it as a child on Saturday mornings.  

I remember seeing it in re runs when I was growing up. Not first run. But he was still a memorable character.

• Love 3

My Mom knew Marvin Kaplan!  He was from "the neighborhood" (Far Rockaway) and she told me his dad owned a candy store in the area.  She used to tell me he literally hadn't changed - he always looked like the bespectacled nebbish!!    

R.I.P. Choo Choo!!

NO! 

One of my favorite lines: "You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons."

And another: "I must've killed more men than Cecil B. DeMille."

I thought it was odd that he didn't attend the Mel Brooks to-do last year or the year before. He looked pretty rough in the video shown.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Gee, when you read that, maybe it was for the best he go hang out with the missus.

The Alzheimer's comment was attributed to his nephew. I was trying to add that to my original post but my phone kept crashing.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, UYI said:

He's with Gilda now. That makes me happy. RIP. 

Indeed.  Even though he remarried after her passing 27 years ago, you'll never convince me that she wasn't the love of his life and that something in him died when she did, which is why he practically retired from acting afterwards.

Now they can rest and just roll their eyes at the rest of us foolish mortals and our stupid antics.

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

Indeed.  Even though he remarried after her passing 27 years ago, you'll never convince me that she wasn't the love of his life and that something in him died when she did, which is why he practically retired from acting afterwards.

Now they can rest and just roll their eyes at the rest of us foolish mortals and our stupid antics.

This was ReTweeted by someone I follow on Twitter, to add to your mention of Mr. Wilder's marriage following the 1 to Gilda Radner. It's a photo of Mr. Wilder & his now widow, Karen, to whom he was married for 25 years. The original poster didn't want her place in Mr. Wilder's life forgotten since most people/posters are bringing up his marriage to Gilda Radner, as though it was his only 1/his only 1 which "counted".

https://mobile.twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/770351315369066496?p=v

• Love 8
19 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

This was ReTweeted by someone I follow on Twitter, to add to your mention of Mr. Wilder's marriage following the 1 to Gilda Radner. It's a photo of Mr. Wilder & his now widow, Karen, to whom he was married for 25 years. The original poster didn't want her place in Mr. Wilder's life forgotten since most people/posters are bringing up his marriage to Gilda Radner, as though it was his only 1/his only 1 which "counted".

https://mobile.twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/770351315369066496?p=v

Your point is well-taken.  I think the reason people associate him more closely with Gilda and conveniently forget about his fourth marriage of 25 years is that we remember his utter devotion to her and to the fact that he did semi-retire in part to take care of her until she died and to found and support Gilda's Club and to encourage funding for cancer research.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 8

Here's a tribute to him written by Jordan Walker-Pearlman, that even shares what his last acts were and the fact that he went peacefully, holding hands with family members and listening to one of his favorite recording artists. 

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

Your point is well-taken.  I think the reason people associate him more closely with Gilda and conveniently forget about his fourth marriage of 25 years is that we remember his utter devotion to her and to the fact that he did semi-retire in part to take care of her until she died and to found and support Gilda's Club and to encourage funding for cancer research.

Yeah, in his book, Kiss Me Like A Stranger, his take on his relationship with Gilda was that although he loved her, it wasn't in that once-in-a-lifetime soulmate way (even though she was utterly nuts about him). That saddened me, but I'm sure he did have a special place in his heart for her.

I'm utterly destroyed by his passing. Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles, The Producers, Silver Streak, and of course Willy Wonka! 

Well, I hope he and Richard Pryor are making people laugh in the afterlife...

• Love 5

I know it's not mentioned much, or at all really, but for some reason I really liked The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother and Gene Wilder as Sigerson Holmes.  The iconic roles in Willy Wonka, Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, Silver Streak - of course.  Can't explain it, I just loved Sigerson.

RIP Mr. Wilder. 

• Love 4

I'm going to have to see if the library has a copy of The Producers.  I must have seen that movie a hundred times.  When it came out, my older sister and brother were both working at a movie theatre, and I got in for free, and saw it over and over again. 

• Love 3