Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

21 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Marni Nixon, the hidden voice behind The King and I, West Side Story, and other movie musicals, dies at 86

Damn.  I love My Fair Lady and West Side Story, and Marni's singing voice (even if it was a "secret") made them memorable.

As long as we're singing  the late Miss Nixon's talents, let's not forget that she DID appear in person as one of the catty nuns singing 'How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria' in "Sound of Music"- and did a fairly good job both in singing and being comedically snide. Sad she suffered at the end and that her family has had to lose her but no doubt she's made the Heavenly Host more harmonious. RIP, Miss Nixon.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Blergh said:

As long as we're singing  the late Miss Nixon's talents, let's not forget that she DID appear in person as one of the catty nuns singing 'How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria' in "Sound of Music"- and did a fairly good job both in singing and being comedically snide. Sad she suffered at the end and that her family has had to lose her but no doubt she's made the Heavenly Host more harmonious. RIP, Miss Nixon.

To be fair, the nuns weren't really being catty.  They had legitimate complaints about Maria, and the Mother Superior agreed with them, even though she was a little more tactful about it. That's what led the Mother Superior to think (and eventually tell Maria) that Maria just wasn't cut out to be a nun and that God had a much different path laid out for her to follow.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Rick Kitchen said:

George RR Martin is writing the script for 2016.

Oh my goodness, don't do this to me- all I saw was "George RR Martin" and my stomach did a flip. This is the death thread, after all!

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

Oh my goodness, don't do this to me- all I saw was "George RR Martin" and my stomach did a flip. This is the death thread, after all!

By the time he finishes the series, we'll all be dead!

• Love 9
(edited)

It appears that Richard Thompson, creator of the Cul de Sac newspaper cartoon strip has succumbed to Parkinson's Disease.

http://teamculdesac.blogspot.com/2016/07/cartoonist-richard-thompson-has-passed.html

Adding the more detailed Washington Post obit

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp/2016/07/27/richard-thompson-acclaimed-cul-de-sac-creator-and-post-contributor-dies-at-58/?tid=pm_entertainment_pop_b

Edited by dalek
adding full obit
On 7/24/2016 at 6:34 PM, BW Manilowe said:

@wings707: I don't remember seeing the lump you spoke of on Garry Marshall's cheek, but I'm also not saying he didn't have 1. The official cause of death, as it was reported the night his death was announced, was complications of pneumonia following a stroke he apparently had on Tuesday of last week.

The lump was definitely there and prominent.  Clearly not the cause of his death though. 

8 hours ago, Rick Kitchen said:

I found a website called Celebrity Death Beeper that will send you a text or an email when a celebrity dies.

http://www.celebritydeathbeeper.com/

Maybe I need to get that for my friend at work who always texts me when someone dies, but sends me years-old info. In December, he sent me the "Colonel Potter aka Harry Morgan, also Joe Friday on Dragnet, dead @ 96" to which I replied "um...yeah, in 2011." This week he texted me that Mickey Rooney had died. Which was true in April 2014. I told him to upgrade from his darned flip phone so he could check Google to verify before sending me old celebrity death news.

• Love 4

I just heard about Jerry Doyle's death on the radio.  Although I do remember him as Garabaldi on B5, he's been a nationally syndicated radio host and I used to listen to him regularly.  I was floored when the death was announced.   His boss (the head of the syndication company) is hosting Jerry's radio show at the moment to break the news to fans (said he died Wednesday night) and talk about what kind a guy he was (a real mensch).  Darn it he was only 60 years old!!!   

Just now, King of Birds said:

Is this website run by someone named Dennis Duffy?

This is on their "about" page:

Jake Kuram - idea man / sounding board 
Ben Lut - runs servers 
Tony Orci - coder / maintainer 
Adam Ping - nice guy 
Jon Smi - possible inventor 

• Love 1

Since this is connected to a death discussed upthread, I'm posting it here.

According to TMZ & E! (my source), Anton Yelchin's parents are filing a lawsuit against Fiat Chrysler, along with the actual manufacturer of their son's car, & apparently the dealership where he bought the car (3 different defendants), in connection with Anton's recent & horribly untimely passing.

http://m.eonline.com/news/784287/anton-yelchin-s-parents-plan-to-file-lawsuit-against-automaker-after-deadly-car-accident

• Love 4

Huddleston guest starred on The West Wing, and his character's scene with President Barlet is something that pops into my head at random times and makes me smile.  He was also the sheriff in the so-bad-it's-good Angels in Chains episode of Charlie's Angels.   But, yeah, he'll always be Grandpa Arnold to me.

• Love 1

Ricci Martin, Musician Son of Dean Martin, Dead at 62

What the hell did he die from?  I'll be following to find out.  He's a distant relative of mine through his mother.    Geez 2016, Drumpf is 70.   I'm just saying. 

• Love 4