Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E20: The Big Bear Precipitation

Secrets are revealed when Amy and Sheldon join Penny and Leonard on a weekend cabin trip. Raj is more excited about Howard's and Bernadette's impending parenthood than they are.

The shot of Bernie in the bear was adorkable, and Sheldon and Amy finishing the drinking game was cute too. But seriously, they are so missing out on the ocean experience.

Do we know how much Penny's debt is? More than $6,047?

• Love 4
(edited)

Do we know how much Penny's debt is? More than $6,047?

Probably.  She has had this job for [someone will tell us how long], making a lot more money than Leonard, who makes pretty good money himself, did someone say $50K or $80K?  Either Penny owes a *lot* of money or she is not trying very hard to pay off her debts.

ETA: Is it only on TV that couples do not talk seriously about money?  I fear not.

Edited by Driad
  • Love 5

I tuned in midway through the episode, just in time to watch Howard and Bernie listen to the heartbeat. Made me freeze and gave me all kinds of memories and feelings, as i had home dopplers for all three of my babies and there is NOTHING like listening to your own baby's heartbeat whenever you want to.

• Love 3

I tuned in midway through the episode, just in time to watch Howard and Bernie listen to the heartbeat. Made me freeze and gave me all kinds of memories and feelings, as i had home dopplers for all three of my babies and there is NOTHING like listening to your own baby's heartbeat whenever you want to.

My wife is pregnant with our first child and we also bought a fetal Doppler monitor. It's such a neat thing when you locate the baby's heartbeat for the first time. It took us a little longer than it did for Howard. ;)

Generally, it's kind of a bad sign when a sitcom goes to the pregnancy storyline but I think I don't feel as negative about it since we're experiencing some of the same stuff depicted on the show.

• Love 1

I love how all three of our couples were able to demonstrate their emotional commitments to each other. I especially like how Sheldon and Amy seemed almost flirty with each other in that final scene. 

• Love 11

There was a storyline last season where Penny told Leonard that she had investments. Wouldn't it have been common sense to pay off the credit cards first, since those usually have a high interest? Seems like sloppy writing me.

• Love 6
(edited)

There was a storyline last season where Penny told Leonard that she had investments. Wouldn't it have been common sense to pay off the credit cards first, since those usually have a high interest? Seems like sloppy writing me.

Yes, this could be considered a retcon, but it could also just be Penny consistantly being Penny with money. I have a coworker Penny's age who could pay off her debts but does not. Fortuately she is marrying a Leonard type. Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

I was on Penny's side about the hidden account until she immediately started talking about spending that money on herself, even if it was to make debt payments. If there's one thing my parents have drilled into me, it's to have a money cushion just in case. That secret fund Leonard has been holding on to should stay untouched except for serious emergencies, like losing a car (which is vital to a lot of careers, especially in Los Angeles) suddenly and needing to buy a new one, or having to pay the copay on an overnight hospital stay for whatever reason. It's like in Up, how during the married life montage it shows them constantly having to tap the South America fund because of life's unexpected disasters. Better not to create even more debt in those situations, but to hold on to your emergency fund while making your payments on your debt at a steady rate from the rest of your income.

• Love 9

If Penny really wanted to pay this big debt, may be Penny would save money if she wasn't paying rent when they're living in 2 places across the hall from each other. Where is all this money she makes that she points out everytime is more than Leonard going?

I think they forgot something during Sheldon's game playing. I thought when he drank on the arrested one that they'd all remember he was put in jail for contempt. Have the writers forgotten that.

• Love 9

LOL, that was fun, especially the cabin part. One thing I really love about the show now is that Sheldon and Amy are again enjoying each other's company. I mean, there were a couple of seasons where it seemed that they never had fun together: it was Amy trying to bed Sheldon and Sheldon trying to be left alone. I don't need sexy times every episode, but it's always great to see they like each other and the things they do together. All their scenes together in this episode were perfect.

• Love 12
(edited)

If Penny really wanted to pay this big debt, may be Penny would save money if she wasn't paying rent when they're living in 2 places across the hall from each other. Where is all this money she makes that she points out everytime is more than Leonard going?

Shoes!

I think they forgot something during Sheldon's game playing. I thought when he drank on the arrested one that they'd all remember he was put in jail for contempt. Have the writers forgotten that.

I thought of that too, but maybe being jailed for "contempt of court" isn't considered being arrested?

I was a bit disappointed at why he was in arrested; I wanted something really out of the blue, like a trespassing complaint for breaking into a nuclear facility looking for yellow cake.

Edited by MaryMitch
  • Love 2

Regarding the realism or lack of same in the Penny and Leonard plot. I work in banking. I can say that everything that previous comments are saying is illogical or unrealistic I have seen in real life. Multiple times. Lack of communication over money? Debt despite high incomes and relatively low fixed obligations? Not paying debts and putting money into savings or investments? It may not make sense, but it happens in real life all the time.

• Love 15

Sometimes it's not a wrong approach. If you're the sort of person who can't trust themselves with a credit card, investing money despite having a load of debt at least ensures you will save *some* money. Yes, the debt is more expensive, but at least this way you have a cash stash *and* debt, whereas the other way you have only debt. Numbers aren't the only consideration in financial planning.

• Love 3

I was pulled out of that scene wondering if at least one of his stalking charges (Stan Lee and others) included an arrest.
  • Love 1

Although I could see the aftermath of Raj's 'dignity' comment coming a mile off, he still made me laugh as he struggled to get the giant bear out of the house.

Years ago, someone suggested that Penny could get some modicum of fame doing a youtube show. I'd still like to see them go down that route. 

• Love 3

I know commercials have been consuming more and more show time over the years, but last night's episode was absolutely astonishing.  The commercial breaks were so long that I honestly had forgotten what the storylines were by the time the show came back on!  I didn't time it but it felt like 18 minutes of commercials to 12 minutes of show.

My favorite part was the end scene with Sheldon and Amy continuing the "Never have I ever" game on their own.  They really do match up well together, especially how that the sex issue seems to have been put to bed, as it were.

• Love 11

I mean, there were a couple of seasons where it seemed that they never had fun together: it was Amy trying to bed Sheldon and Sheldon trying to be left alone. I don't need sexy times every episode, but it's always great to see they like each other and the things they do together.

They really do match up well together, especially how that the sex issue seems to have been put to bed, as it were.

I certainly was one who was against having Amy/Sheldon finally sleep together, cause I thought our beloved writers wouldn't handle it well. I'm surprised now that they might have actually done a good job with it. The pressure is off. Amy, particularly, doesn't feel like she's missing out on anything anymore and that she's not in a "real" relationship. Sheldon, I guess, doesn't feel hounded and irritated. It's a relief to watch. If they can continue to enjoy each other's company it'll be nice to watch.

Leonard probably feels the need to keep some money separate from Penny, whether or not she has any debt. He's seen the way she spent money when she wasn't working, he knows how she spent HIS money over time, even if he was ok with at the time and I'd want to keep a small separate stash too. He's thinking long-term. Maybe them having an actual talk about money that doesn't include Penny stating I make so much more money than you every time it comes up.

Raj is the total weirdo now. I hope the actor is happy with that as his role. 

• Love 4

I know commercials have been consuming more and more show time over the years, but last night's episode was absolutely astonishing.  The commercial breaks were so long that I honestly had forgotten what the storylines were by the time the show came back on!  I didn't time it but it felt like 18 minutes of commercials to 12 minutes of show.

Not sure how long this episode was yet, but most this season have been in the 18-19 minute range, instead of the current standard 22.

(Shamelessly borrowed from Reddit.)

1 - The Matrimonial Momentum - 20:31

2 - The Separation Oscillation - 19:20

3 - The Bachelor Party Corrosion - 19:38

4 - The 2003 Approximation - 18:51

5 - The Perspiration Implementation - 18:45

6 - The Helium Insufficiency - 19:16

7 - The Spock Resonance - 18:45

8 - The Mystery Date Observation - 19:17

9 - The Platonic Permutation - 21:09

10 - The Earworm Reverberation - 21:30

11 - The Opening Night Excitation - 21:44

12 - The Sales Call Sublimation - 18:38

• Love 3

Overall a good episode.  I especially liked Penny admitting to Leonard that she doesn't like her job.  So been there.  Keeping doing a job you dislike because there are no alternatives is pretty soul sucking - and sadly also pretty common.  I think the writers are very confused about money, this comes up time and again when they talk about the relatives incomes of the guys as opposed to Penny and Bernadette (it really pushes my buttons when they act like the guys earn a pittance) but they really went too far in this one when Penny who supposedly earns Big Bucks thinks Leonard's secret account that amounts to about $6,000 is a lot of money.  Last season she was talking about paying off Leonard's student debt (hmmm, what happened to that writers?) and now she's in debt herself and thinks $6,000 is a lot?  Read your past scripts writers!

• Love 9

I was expecting the payback after Sheldon mentioned the secret bank account would be either Leonard or Penny using the Sheldon deciding to propose to Amy pre-break-up as revenge in the "never have i ever" game.  

"Never have I ever had a ring and almost proposed to my girlfriend before she broke up with me."

It would have been cruel but Sheldon had it coming b/c he says things he shouldn't even though he more than likely knows better.

• Love 1

I was playing Candy Crush during the ads and they went on so long, I got absorbed in the game and didn't notice when the show returned. Definitely felt like there were more ads than there was show.

• Love 1

Wouldn't it have been common sense to pay off the credit cards first, since those usually have a high interest?

Penny is experienced enough that she probably knows how to take advantage of balance transfer offers to pay very little in interest, by periodically moving her debt from one card to another. She's exactly the kind of customer banks want, so I'd bet that some of those offers are even at 0%.

Last season she was talking about paying off Leonard's student debt (hmmm, what happened to that writers?) and now she's in debt herself and thinks $6,000 is a lot?

That was her long history of not having much money talking. My own circumstances changed a lot further ago than Penny's and I still catch myself thinking the same way sometimes.

Leonard probably feels the need to keep some money separate from Penny, whether or not she has any debt. He's seen the way she spent money when she wasn't working, he knows how she spent HIS money over time, even if he was ok with at the time and I'd want to keep a small separate stash too.

There's nothing wrong with keeping a stash of his own; some financial advisors even recommend that for couples. But, it's insulting to Penny to tell someone that he needs to do it because he can't trust her to be financially responsible. She wouldn't have the amount of debt she has unless she had demonstrated the ability to handle money responsibly.

Except when your baby's heartbeat stops. It is devastating. I may have to back out of this one.

• Love 1

I'm really tired of the "expose a secret in front of the group and storm off" trope.  Writers, please retire this.

The writing for Sheldon is very inconsistent.  He obvious knows that some things should not be discussed in front of the group, because last week we learned of a big secret of his, so why does he keep saying things he HAS to know are private?  How would he have liked it if Amy had said "I've never ever kept a storage locker full of everything I've ever owned."

Overall, another pretty lame episode.  No laughs.

• Love 4

I was expecting the payback after Sheldon mentioned the secret bank account would be either Leonard or Penny using the Sheldon deciding to propose to Amy pre-break-up as revenge in the "never have i ever" game.  

"Never have I ever had a ring and almost proposed to my girlfriend before she broke up with me."

It would have been cruel but Sheldon had it coming b/c he says things he shouldn't even though he more than likely knows better.

I think Amy found out about that when Meemaw was visiting.

I'm really tired of the "expose a secret in front of the group and storm off" trope.  Writers, please retire this.

The writing for Sheldon is very inconsistent.  He obvious knows that some things should not be discussed in front of the group, because last week we learned of a big secret of his, so why does he keep saying things he HAS to know are private? 

I took it that Penny and Leonard had decided to use it to get the other person in trouble, so that was Sheldon's way of joining in... not realizing it might be over the line.

• Love 2
(edited)

Have you ever had a baby's heartbeat stop just as you were listening to the doppler?

I wasn't holding  the device. It was a doctor.  Sorry to be a downer. The heartbeat had likely stopped before the test not at the "just as I was listening"  point  since my doctor couldn't pinpoint the exact time and Im not sure why the exact time matters since it was devastating all the same. .

I'll skip this eppy.

Edited by ari333

I liked that Leonard apologized for the secrecy and disrespect, and not for the separate account. When my ex and I were together, we had all joint accounts and it was hard to buy her a birthday present without her knowing what I was doing. Even if you aren't worried about irresponsibility, there are lots of reasons to have some separately held money. But then, when my ex and I were together, we actually negotiated about the budget, and it sounds like Leonard and Penny have no agreements about those things, either. It's good, though, that they actually talked about it like adults this week, instead of just having escalating shenanigans.

Except for Raj, the show has been handling all the characters and relationships a little better, I think. It's like Chuck Lorre has truly had a change. First Mom turns out to be shockingly good, and now BBT shows some maturity peeking through.

• Love 1

I liked that (so far at least) they haven't decided that since Penny doesn't like her job but doesn't want to go back to acting/waitressing that it's time to have a baby.  While in a way that would actually make sense in terms of their ages and the place they are in their lives it's never a solution if the problem isn't "want a baby".  Really hope they let Penny continue to develop without bringing a baby into the picture.

• Love 3

They're quietly showing us the remodel of Howard & Bernadette's house.  First it was the kitchen, now the living room. All new furniture?  That wasn't cheap!  Looks like they got rid of all of Ms. Wolowitz's furniture and décor.  I'm not too crazy about some of the upgrades, but overall it looked pretty good. 

I'm still hoping that they'll find a way for Penny to get a break as an actor.  I'd like to see her team up with Wil Wheaton again.  I love how he's become one of their friends.  So unlikely, but hilarious whenever he makes an appearance.

• Love 6

What I disliked: when Penny finds out about Leonard's stash, she says something to the effect: "Don't you know what I could have done with that money?"  Is it really necessary to make Penny endlessly selfish?  Okay, she's self-centered.  I get it.  But she can be kind and thoughtful.

Agreed.  There was an episode a season or two ago where she thanks Bernadette for helping her get her new job and  Bernadette tells her that she can treat her to a meal as a thank you,  Penny very reluctantly agrees and then has to be reminded by Bernadette to bring her purse.  So annoying.  And not like Penny at all.  Yes she had a history of  being a mooch in terms of food and wifi but they also showed her being kind and generous to all her friends within her means.  Penny may have been self centred but she was never selfish. 

• Love 10
(edited)

Last season she was talking about paying off Leonard's student debt (hmmm, what happened to that writers?) and now she's in debt herself and thinks $6,000 is a lot?

She also sold the car Leonard gave her and gave him back the money.  So, agreed, total confusion on the part of the writers with what they want us to believe about Penny and Leonard's financial situation.  On the one hand Leonard can afford to buy Penny a car and has been putting money away in a secret bank account - on the other hand he claims, even though he's been out of school for years, that he still has a lot of student loan debt (which never interfered with his spending habits before or since that one episode where it's mentioned).  With Penny we're told on the one hand that she is making a huge salary, that she has a company car, that she can afford to pay off Leonard's student debt, that she has an investment advisor, that she can sell the aforementioned car and give Leonard back the money but then on the other hand she's in debt, won't willingly put her hand in her pocket to treat her friends and thinks $6000 in savings is a lot of money.  Mmmkay. 

One thing I really liked about the Bernie/Howard/Raj storyline was that they made it clear that Howard was being his usual Howardy self and not being all that involved with helping Bernadette - didn't even go with her to the doctor for her check-up.  Raj being over involved was a wake up call to Howard and I thought that was very well done.  

And I really identified with Bernadette and the tears - when I was pregnant I could burst into tears if a commercial was the least bit touching let alone any real emotional stuff in my real life!

Edited by Homily
  • Love 7

I wasn't holding  the device. It was a doctor.  Sorry to be a downer. The heartbeat had likely stopped before the test not at the "just as I was listening"  point  since my doctor couldn't pinpoint the exact time and Im not sure why the exact time matters since it was devastating all the same. .

I'll skip this eppy.

Awwww. I had five miscarriages myself. Three of them were at the point where we'd already seen and heard the heartbeat at least once. One of them was a pair of twins. I went through almost a decade of infertility and loss until I was blessed with my first child. It's a very rough thing to go through. ((HUGS))

• Love 11

Bit of a meh episode. The show's greatest problem is the writing for Raj, it's not just creepy it's also boring and repetitive. We had plenty of variations of the theme social awkward best friend being intrusive with established couple (Penny, Leonard and Sheldon/Bernadette, Howard and Stuart/Bernadette, Howard and Raj) there really isn't much new ground to cover - i.e. we already had plots of Raj being a better version of boyfriend/husband than Howard and Howard vowing to step up his game. It just never sticks.

'I have never ever' has become such a cliché, you know some major drama will ensue and obviously Penny behaved ridiculously because couples in sitcoms never sit down and discuss their financial arrangements.

Sheldon and Amy were sweet and looked like the most functional couple this episode.

(Yes, seeing Howard fumbling around with the doppler immediately brought back memories of a family member who had lost a baby without noticing until she went in for her last check-up before delivery and there was no heartbeat anymore. My heart goes out to all of you who suffered such a loss.)

• Love 3

Penny behaved ridiculously because couples in sitcoms never sit down and discuss their financial arrangements.

I thought Penny reacted pretty realistically as it was Leonard who was hiding something from her.  Even if he had  the best of intentions I know if I were to find out my husband had a secret bank account I would NOT be happy. 

• Love 4
(edited)

She can be angry he kept it a secret but that still does not give her the right to claim that money for her own purposes. Just as Leonard was not entitled to get all huffy when she mentioned making investments after talking to a financial advisor (which he didn't).

But I'm always confused about how those things are handled in the US. Where I live a prenup is required for marriage and the partners settle whether they are joining their property or keeping it separate. I always assumed that without a prenup the later is the case and the whole 'what is mine is yours' was just as binding as 'till death does us part'.

Edited by MissLucas

I don't think she really claimed the money - it was just a comment about what she could do with that money - which in light of her supposedly high income just made zero sense really.  If she's really in debt in part that has to be because she's already spending thousands of dollars a month over and above any contribution she may be making to rent and groceries and other bills.  Just clumsy writing IMO that contradicts things said in the past.  And not even the distant past.  I could accept making changes from stuff said in earlier seasons (even if I still found it annoying) but stuff said in episodes from this season?  Ugh.

• Love 2

Except when your baby's heartbeat stops. It is devastating. I may have to back out of this one.

When did they invent these? I have 3 adult daughters but lost one inbetween. A sense of dread came over me when they were listening for the heartbeat and at first couldn't find one. Bad plot device choice even though they didn't intend it that way.
  • Love 5

When did they invent these? I have 3 adult daughters but lost one inbetween. A sense of dread came over me when they were listening for the heartbeat and at first couldn't find one. Bad plot device choice even though they didn't intend it that way.

I'm NOT glad that I wasn't the only person who felt this way.  My "bad experience" happened in a doctor's office, but that scene brought it all back.  Watching this, I thought I was overly sensitive, but now I'm not so sure.  I think they could have come up with something else, something "safer" to achieve the same plot effect.

• Love 4

Although I have no children, I also got a knot in my stomach during that scene-when they at first couldn't detect the heartbeat. I thought "please ...No"

My condolences to all  those who have lost a child-either before or after the birth.

• Love 13

She can be angry he kept it a secret but that still does not give her the right to claim that money for her own purposes. Just as Leonard was not entitled to get all huffy when she mentioned making investments after talking to a financial advisor (which he didn't).

But I'm always confused about how those things are handled in the US. Where I live a prenup is required for marriage and the partners settle whether they are joining their property or keeping it separate. I always assumed that without a prenup the later is the case and the whole 'what is mine is yours' was just as binding as 'till death does us part'.

It may vary from state to state, but where I live, the property you come into the marriage with is yours; everything you acquire after the marriage is common property.  

It may vary from state to state, but where I live, the property you come into the marriage with is yours; everything you acquire after the marriage is common property.

It does depend on the state. In California, without a prenup, each generally keep what they had going into the marriage and share what is acquired afterwards except for gifts and inheritances. When it comes to debt, only joint obligations get shared, so Leonard has no responsibility for whatever Penny charges to her credit cards, unless he gets added to the accounts, which would also convert the debt she had when they got married to something they share. Assets can change character too; if they start sharing Leonard's car, it would become a joint asset even though it was just his when they married.

Probably.  She has had this job for [someone will tell us how long], making a lot more money than Leonard, who makes pretty good money himself, did someone say $50K or $80K?  Either Penny owes a *lot* of money or she is not trying very hard to pay off her debts.

ETA: Is it only on TV that couples do not talk seriously about money?  I fear not.

Sadly, based on the financial situation of most American couples, its accurate, I think, that this would happen.

A nice moment with them hearing the heartbeat of the baby at the end, but still, really, nothing original that hasn't been done a million times on sitcoms. And Raj once again being over the top weird with his best friend's wife. ANd completely oblivious to that fact.

In the end the "trip to the woods" was actually pointless, was not used at all as part of the plot besides a joke about Sheldon needing to be checked for tics. Any number of other scenarios where they are in the apartment could have resulted in that drinking game being played.

The virtual reality at the beginning by Sheldon was funny though.

• Love 2

he has had this job for [someone will tell us how long], making a lot more money than Leonard, who makes pretty good money himself, did someone say $50K or $80K?

I don't think they every say Leonard exact rank, but Sheldon and Howard would be at about the 100k mark, considering how long Leonard has been there and that he has had success he's probably be around that as well.  Caltech is one of the highest paying colleges in the US. They'd make a lot more as full professors but that doesn't seem to fit their interest. 

Money has been inconsistent on the show. I don't think they pay it too much mind, so I am not sure it helps us to. 

Edited by yb125
  • Love 1

She also sold the car Leonard gave her and gave him back the money. So, agreed, total confusion on the part of the writers with what they want us to believe about Penny and Leonard's financial situation. On the one hand Leonard can afford to buy Penny a car and has been putting money away in a secret bank account - on the other hand he claims, even though he's been out of school for years, that he still has a lot of student loan debt (which never interfered with his spending habits before or since that one episode where it's mentioned). With Penny we're told on the one hand that she is making a huge salary, that she has a company car, that she can afford to pay off Leonard's student debt, that she has an investment advisor, that she can sell the aforementioned car and give Leonard back the money but then on the other hand she's in debt, won't willingly put her hand in her pocket to treat her friends and thinks $6000 in savings is a lot of money. Mmmkay.

I don't think this is all that hard to believe or at least explain. I have a lot of clients who have substantial student loan debt but now make decent money. It doesn't stop them from spending more than they should on meals, hobbies, etc. But it does come up occasionally, sometimes as an excuse, sometimes as frustration that they can't do everything they think they should given their salary. And as has already been mentioned your past can definitely color your perception of the present regardless of what an outside observer might think. And when we see money as a plot on the show it's almost always filtered through the character's POV. And people's view of their financial situation can be just as inconsistent and illogical as portrayed here.

Edited by wknt3
  • Love 2

The money situation mainly bugs me because they consistently act like the guys are all earning a pittance.  But if they seriously want us to believe that in the eyes of Bernadette and Penny the guys salaries are low but they are earning somewhere in the neighbourhood of a $100,000 then the women must be out earning them by a LOT more than that.  If that's the case then yeah $6,000 in savings is not a lot of money (it's actually a little sad IMO that a couple earning well in excess of $200,000 a year would think that it was a significant amount in savings).  But I don't think this reflects anyone's reality, least of all Leonard and Penny.  It's the writers not caring what they say from one episode to the next and not giving any amount of real thought to what people actually earn.

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 8

It really depends how much they teach. I know professors who don't teach and have research positions, and they really have to spend a lot  of time writing  grant  applications; it's the money they raise that pays their salaries.  We haven't seen Leonard or Sheldon do much of that, but  they did do some in early seasons. So they could well have financial ups and downs  based on who's funding what projects and how substantially. 

• Love 2

The way TV depicts finances makes me crazy. It's often so unrealistic that I wonder do these writers not have access to the internet and can do a modicum of research? Do they not have non-writer friends or family who might be able to say hey, that's really not how much money a local AM-radio talk show host would make (I'm looking at you Frasier). In my TV watching history, I think Roseanne probably did the best at showing a more realistic representation of finances, until they blew it up and had them win the lottery.

In general, I think that the writers just don't care whether it's realistic or not, as long as it serves their need for a particular story. 

• Love 3