Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

When the episode about Emerald moving from Perth to Paris aired, someone did some digging and found out information about her background and her parents.  They are very wealthy.  I think the comments were posted on the old forum.

I fell asleep watching last night's (actually, early this morning's) HHI episode called "Manuel Antonio Pura Vida" from Costa Rica.  I won't lose any sleep (obviously) over not knowing but I am curious as to which house they chose.  The "Mrs" seemed pretty adamant about being able to walk to the beach and only one of the three met that requirement.  And it was an odd home with water canal-type things running throughout the inside of the house. Did anyone see this episode?

The California to Costa Rica couple bought that first house with the beach access and water canal "feature" in the house.  I'm not sure I'd see that as a feature myself, but the rest of the house was gorgeous with beautiful views.  It was listed at $1.2M, which was over budget, but they bought for $1.05M.

• Love 1

Watching an ep set in Granada. I LOVE Granada! I sat right in that park where they met their realtor. It's such a beautiful place, and the Alhambra is one of the most amazing places I've ever been.

The pool on the second house was stunning, as were the views. I loved the third one too - definitely would have been my pick.

• Love 1

Watching an ep set in Granada. I LOVE Granada! I sat right in that park where they met their realtor. It's such a beautiful place, and the Alhambra is one of the most amazing places I've ever been.

The pool on the second house was stunning, as were the views. I loved the third one too - definitely would have been my pick.

In 1981 my old man was offered 2 jobs.  One in Granada (living in a converted Governor's mansion) and one in Hawaii.  He chose Hawaii, and I went along with it.  But I still dream of Granada ...  :-)

Calgary to Bermuda accountants (two young women) renting an apartment together. I'm getting caught up on Tivo episodes and wouldn't you know, the original signal cut out as they were saying which apartment they chose. I'm guessing which ever one it was, those two are no longer sharing an apartment. Does anyone remember this episode?

I saw this one! They went with the third one (the one below budget with the dark back bedroom). They said that living together had "challenged" the friendship but they were still living together. I don't think that will last.

I saw that one too and was interested because I lived in Paris. To me, a toilet in the kitchen when you are hosting dinner parties regularly would be a deal-breaker. Her family did seem to have money (I rewound the ep a few times to look at a series of 8 paintings on the wall) and I'd also guess she banked a bit from her days as a corporate attorney (fakest "at work" scene ever), as those positions are lucrative. I couldn't figure out how pop-up dinner parties make money - are they just small catering jobs?

Now I'm watching three recent college grads try to find an apartment to share in Madrid. I have (American) friends in Madrid and have been there, so this is fun to watch. I stayed right near where option # 3 (their chosen one - the right call for them, IMO) was.

Is that the one with the 2 guys with no heads behind them in the Square?

I really liked the couple moving to London last night. There wasn't too much of the omg I need a house with giant rooms and a huge yard and an American fridge blah blah blah that we often see and they seemed very positive and supportive of each other. They didn't even insist that their children would be irreparably damaged if they had to share bedrooms. And dang, the wife was a catch! PhD and accomplished scientist in organic chemistry and beautiful to boot!

Edited by Peanutbuttercup

Yeah, the London wife is very accomplished. I looked her up on LinkedIn - she's a big deal at Pfizer. I have a Ph.D. in chemistry, but organic was my weakest area. People who are good at organic have my respect.

• Love 4

The couple and agent wore the same clothes, so it was definitely filmed over one day--this incredibly successful woman obviously had more important business to take care of, and obviously they let HGTV know it! One day of filming doesn't seem too bad, and we're all fans of the series, so maybe they just wanted to be part of a show they've watched/liked for years. 

Edited by CocoaGoddess
  • Love 1

I think the only thing that I didn't like about the London episode was the fear their daughter's would be hurt.  English children have lived with steep stairs, Aga's and stone floors for centuries......maybe no have to have stainless and granite, but, kid's are not idiots.  They do learn pretty easily.  

• Love 1

The couple and agent wore the same clothes, so it was definitely filmed over one day--this incredibly successful woman obviously had more important business to take care of, and obviously they let HGTV know it! One day of filming doesn't seem too bad, and we're all fans of the series, so maybe they just wanted to be part of a show they've watched/liked for years. 

Many of them have confirmed on their blogs both the 40 hour shooting schedule and that they're instructed to wear the same clothing to give the illusion of only 1 house hunting day.

Their $5,700 would have been provided by Pfizer, IMHO.  Figured that was their rental as soon as they showed the pink light bulbs!

• Love 1

The husband in last night's move to Germany couple was a breath of fresh air.  I liked him a lot...his wife?  not so much.  She was way too shrill and forceful for my taste.  At least he had common sense in that he said they didn't need a dedicated guest room since people stay a couple of days.  I was shocked to hear that and I'm sure the producers missed it or it would have been snipped out of the episode.

The guy I saw in the afternoon in Brussels (I think?) was a dick.  He just had to be closer to his work than school for the kids.  It was like he had a competitive thing going on with the wife and he wanted to exert his power.  I'm glad they settled on the house in the middle of both school and work.

• Love 1

I also thought the wife of the couple in Germany was shrill.  I can't remember, but didn't they pick the house she wanted with the "charm" that was also the farthest from his work?    

Ohwell.  No..they took the more expensive one but it was 10 minutes from work so he could ride a bike.  He said they could afford the more expensive one because they didn't need a second car.  Yes it was her favorite house too  ..because of the gas stove.

• Love 1

Did anybody see Greenland last night?  OMG it was so beautiful there.  I didn't even pay attention to either the HHs or the properties but the scenery was beautiful.  I'm so glad they took the first apartment because the view from that balcony was breathtaking.

The producers really played up that budget issue and then they took the most expensive anyway.  Go figure

• Love 2

I did see the Greenland one and thought they picked the right place.  For the most part, I go for the houses or apartments that more model the country. I mean, if you are going to live in a foreign country, why choose a place too much like home?  However,  I don't think I could go for the tiny, tiny bathroom with the shower above the toilet.  Has anyone ever lived with that?

I was watching another repeat with a family that moved from England to Australia.  They kept equivilating warmer weather with a better life.  I have noticed this before on episodes when people move to a warmer climate.  I live in a cold climate, so I get how it can get tiresome.   But warm weather is not always going to automatically equate to a great life if there are problems with money, jobs, relationships etc.  I just find it tiresome. 

• Love 3

I tuned into last night's episode (West Africa I believe?) late because I was watching football.  So I see the HHs talking about 5 bedrooms...lots of kids..nanny's room so I'm thinking..wow..they must have a high budget.  I'm half watching and I see them complaining about how dare she show us a 3 bedroom.  Then I learn their budget , and the fact that they had 2 boys that could definitely share a room and I snorted.  Pretentious much??

You know I fell asleep and I don't even know which one they chose.  I hated them and I don't care if they lived in a trailer.

I found him especially annoying. Since I missed the very beginning, I didn't catch what he did for a living--and the rest of the ep made it seem like he'd be the stay-at-home dad. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but his piss-poor attitude about every freakin' thing made me wish those little boys good luck!

• Love 2

The guy I saw in the afternoon in Brussels (I think?) was a dick.  He just had to be closer to his work than school for the kids.  It was like he had a competitive thing going on with the wife and he wanted to exert his power.  I'm glad they settled on the house in the middle of both school and work.

Just saw this one - she so did not want to be there. And then there was some strange camera work going on while they were "deliberating" - they were sitting in a window and shot from the street.

I enjoyed the couple moving back to Germany. They seemed really appreciative of the country and of the opportunity. All three houses were cool, but I loved the one they chose. The wood panelling, that kitchen, the lovely terrace overlooking the river. It seemed for a change it wouldn't all be wasted on a family just trying to pretend they were still in the U.S.

I also caught up with the chemist and family moving to London. The script was a tad overdone there. I know it's not an actual script, but they hammered home the "talking points" a little too often. If I'd been the wife, I'd have beaned him next time he talked about my driving. The first and third houses would have been good choices IMO. Loved the garden of the third house, and didn't really see the problem with the kitchen. I'd love to have a kitchen that big and up to date. Still, House #1 being closer in was a great location.

Both couples made me jealous!

Edited by peggy06
  • Love 1

I absolutely loved the friend of the girl looking in Barcelona last night.  He was the cutest thing ever..He was very animated and practical and they had to use sub-titles when he got too animated.  The girl...eh...  she did pick the right apartment though.

• Love 2

Holy crap the wife moving to San Juan had the most intense bitch face I've seen in awhile--couldn't tell if that's a resting bitch face or an active bitch face because she wore it the entire time before her choice in homes was revealed.

Holy crap the wife moving to San Juan had the most intense bitch face I've seen in awhile--couldn't tell if that's a resting bitch face or an active bitch face because she wore it the entire time before her choice in homes was revealed.

I was even more distracted by those big-assed earrings she was wearing.  The house they chose was beautiful though.

I absolutely loved the friend of the girl looking in Barcelona last night.  He was the cutest thing ever..He was very animated and practical and they had to use sub-titles when he got too animated.  The girl...eh...  she did pick the right apartment though.

Does she remind anyone else of an actress? I spent the entire episode trying to figure out which actress she resembles, right down to her manner of speaking, but I just can't. Aargh!!!!!

Teaching Yoga and Meeting Vikings in Amsterdam  Oh My Word.  Hands up those who were ready to  knock Miss Yoga is my Rock off her tree pose?

I did enjoy the realtor who was showing her the "spaces".  Even if they were noisy (right next to the canal), or claustrophobic (girl, you came from student housing and that room looked just fine), had a tv in it (you don't watch TV and the owner would probably be pleased to take it out for you) and didn't have ventilation for the stove (your horror at opening a window and that it isn't energy efficient to open a window in the winter). Her carefully controlled disdain was wonderful to watch.

So of course she gets the perfect one that is too high and somehow gets the price renegotiated.

I appreciate that there is a story line but she was so snark worthy

• Love 2

Ohwell.  No..they took the more expensive one but it was 10 minutes from work so he could ride a bike.  He said they could afford the more expensive one because they didn't need a second car.  Yes it was her favorite house too  ..because of the gas stove.

Little too obvious, IMHO, for anyone who plays the guessing game, trying to determine which house was their home.  They typically take kitchens along in Germany so the gas stove and new appliances were a dead giveaway.  Considering the loft bedroom (for their younger son) made it even more obvious.  Wonder how long they'd lived there.

And the cameraman didn't do his duty, like they typically would, in spite of its height, and film the loft.  Their younger son had tons of books and other bric-a-brac, shown in the final scenes.  Well, that made something else obvious - the camera crew stashed all that stuff in the loft when they moved out their things in order to film.  We play that game while viewing HH episodes, too - that is, where's their stuff, lol ??? 

They did omit the pocket door, however.  That's o.k. - seriously doubt they need to worry about their older son.  20 yo (IIRC) college student, partying in Europe ???  He won't be around that much, IMHO.

• Love 2

I am always bugged by people who drag their children to dicey places for no clear reason other than the parents desire to 'see how it would be to live somewhere else'.  Considering some of the stuff that's going on in Mexico I don't think you could pay me to move to most of it but they blithely wander into Acapulco or some of the more problematic areas with four kids in tow and think 'cool! We can totally afford to live here!'  Ugh.  Get a handle on the ridiculous amount of bloodshed and then get back to me, mom and dad.

This.  I just saw the woman who was moving from Texas to Granada, Nicaragua.  I'm curious why someone like her would take such a chance living in an area that is not only desperately poor  but potentially unstable politically.  Her neighborhood was labeled as "up and coming" which to me screams, "this place would be getting by only on money from the Save The Children Fund if it weren't for American/European ex-pats looking for a cheap place to retire".  Plus, Nicaragua wasn't considered the most stable country in the Americas (I'm old, but I often associate the country with the Sandanistas and the civil wars that plagued the area for decades) and I can picture people like her losing everything should there be another upheavel of some sort .  I also hope poeple like her aren't a target since many people automatically assume all Americans are "rich".  Sure compared to most countries we are, but I think it still a risk in some places.

ETA:  I don't know if anyone saw but there was a cart horse in which the driver used cardboard flaps as blinders.  These people are so poor they can't even afford a bridle with proper blinders on them! 

Edited by magicdog
  • Love 2

This.  I just saw the woman who was moving from Texas to Granada, Nicaragua.  I'm curious why someone like her would take such a chance living in an area that is not only desperately poor  but potentially unstable politically.  Her neighborhood was labeled as "up and coming" which to me screams, "this place would be getting by only on money from the Save The Children Fund if it weren't for American/European ex-pats looking for a cheap place to retire".  Plus, Nicaragua wasn't considered the most stable country in the Americas (I'm old, but I often associate the country with the Sandanistas and the civil wars that plagued the area for decades) and I can picture people like her losing everything should there be another upheavel of some sort .  I also hope poeple like her aren't a target since many people automatically assume all Americans are "rich".  Sure compared to most countries we are, but I think it still a risk in some places.

ETA:  I don't know if anyone saw but there was a cart horse in which the driver used cardboard flaps as blinders.  These people are so poor they can't even afford a bridle with proper blinders on them! 

Nicaragua is one of the safest countries in Central America.  The days of the Guerillas and the Sandinistas are long gone.  The country is blooming.  She bought that place for peanuts and in a few years it will be worth a lot.  Just think of buying in Costa Rica before it became a tourist spot, you'd be set.  It was a great investment for around $70,000

• Love 1

Did I miss a memo?  Is teaching yoga in a country where you have no connections and don't speak the language the wave of the future? I swear Barcelona yoga teacher was the third one I have seen this week.

All you silly parents telling your children technology is where it's at, and encouraging them to get advanced degrees.....

• Love 4

So I'm curious about the Paris kitchens. I know cooking and good food is paramount in Paris. Do people eat out for most meals or do they do amazing cooking in minuscule kitchens on one or two burners and no dining room?

• Love 1

Nicaragua is one of the safest countries in Central America.

Magicdog, I had the same reaction as you did when I first heard of people moving to Nicaragua a few years ago. I, too, thought of the Sandanistas, dictator Samoza and the Iran-Contra scandal. Times are changing quickly. And that's a great thing. Pretty soon, we'll be watching House Hunters in Cuba.

Edited by mojito
  • Love 1

Some of the countries in Central America are not still not safe.  Not sure if there are still death squads but there are definitely gangs, which is why all those children tried to get into the US.

The thing you used to see a lot in Latin American HHI episodes was barred windows and for US expats, gated communities with guards.

• Love 3

He was a bit hyper.  Dancing around, climbing up on the rail at the end, plopping down on the daybed.  I wanted to give him a Valium.  As for her, if I knew that millions of people were going to be watching me, I probably would have made a different wardrobe choice than short shorts and a sweater.  I liked their final choice of apartments.

• Love 1

Castle Hunters????  What the hell!!??!!  Not that I minded because I LOVE touring castles.  But still..

I am looking for a shed to put my backyard furniture in..can that make a HH about me?  Shed Hunters?? pleeeeeeeeease.

• Love 3