Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I was thinking about HHI the other day and wondering what countries they haven't visited yet - other than obvious war-torn areas? 

How about Canada? We've seen lots of Toronto and (I understand) Vancouver on other shows, but I've never seen a show where non-Canadians move to Canada. There are lots of interesting places besides Toronto and Vancouver. I rather suspect that they can't do a HHI in Canada for some contractual reason.

• Love 4
I rather suspect that they can't do a HHI in Canada for some contractual reason.

I can remember episodes in Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver off the top of my head (though they might have all been Canadians but that is probably just because their English speakers, no need to look for ex-pats). In fact just last night on House Hunters: Where are they Now, where they checked in on both international and domestic house hunters one of them was from Canada.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

I just wanted to throttle the Tamagachis in Aberdeen Scotland last night.  A childless couple from Texas relocating due to his work.  They wanted close to the city or at least bus service for the wife because she would be sooooooo  bored while he is at work.  Fine..sounds good.  Wanted fenced yard for the dogs.  (this goes without saying on every single episode of HH's ).

Started out fine until we heard their complaints about the size of the kitchen and the rooms.  Honey you're not in Texas anymore.  She annoyed me more than he did and it's possible it was just the way she was complaining but I don't know.  They were being unreasonable.  The first house was so perfect for them, close to work, close to bus, 3 BRs, 2-1/2 baths, etc.  Shockingly that's the one they took..even though the rooms were sooooooo small.

Edited by NYGirl
  • Love 4

How about Canada? We've seen lots of Toronto and (I understand) Vancouver on other shows, but I've never seen a show where non-Canadians move to Canada. There are lots of interesting places besides Toronto and Vancouver. I rather suspect that they can't do a HHI in Canada for some contractual reason.

I can remember episodes in Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver off the top of my head (though they might have all been Canadians but that is probably just because their English speakers, no need to look for ex-pats). In fact just last night on House Hunters: Where are they Now, where they checked in on both international and domestic house hunters one of them was from Canada.

I believe I remember the episodes you mentioned biakbiak but I have a feeling they have a few other reasons, Apprentice Ilisidi - possibly marketing and/or logistics.  Scripps/HGTV acquired their HGTV - Canada subsidiary long before HHI started, IIRC.  Don't know how their total viewers break down between the U.S. and Canada but it must be a very large market, given the numerous series produced up there.  (BTW, I realize they're taking advantage of various tax breaks but I believe they have many viewers, too.)  In addition, HHI typically features a fair number of Canadian ex-pats each season, usually snowbirds escaping the long winters.

So, that means, for quite a few of their viewers, Canada locations should appear as HH episodes instead of HHI episodes!  Although it sounds easy enough, it could be a pita for the production teams.   For one thing, they use different crews and probably different editors.  And why can't they just change the intros / series name?  Sounds easy peasy, right?  Well, what about scheduling, website maintenance, episode numbers, blah, blah, blah ...?

Given that they probably leave those things up to interns that cycle through their doors regularly, it could be difficult to manage.  I've frequently noticed minor errors on the websites now so perhaps they don't want to bother with it.  Easier to classify everything outside of the US/Canada as HHI and be done with it.

I'm just speculating so if anyone has a better idea, please, correct me!

Edited by BearCat49
  • Love 1

I was thinking about HHI the other day and wondering what countries they haven't visited yet - other than obvious war-torn areas?  There haven't been any set in India, have there?  No, wait.  I think there were two - the Australian girl who married the Indian guy, and an older American/Canadian/European couple somewhere in southern India.

I watch HH/HHI in waves. I get tired of watching it, and stop recording. BUT I do remember a young Indian-American couple living in New York City who wanted to experience their parents' home country. They were quite open to the colors and explained things like how when you have staff (often staff who lives on your property), you are expected to take care of them and their family. They didn't want the responsibility of staff, IIRC. They just couldn't go that traditional.

I agree with classifying everything outside of the US/Canada as being House Hunters International (even the US regions in the Pacific and Caribbean). Is there a name that emcompasses both countries? You can't say North America. English-Speaking Americas is too cumbersome. Don't we have a name for us?

• Love 1

I agree with classifying everything outside of the US/Canada as being House Hunters International (even the US regions in the Pacific and Caribbean). Is there a name that emcompasses both countries? You can't say North America. English-Speaking Americas is too cumbersome. Don't we have a name for us?

Yes.  "America."  (I kid!)

• Love 2

Thanks, I guess I just haven't seen any of those Canadian episodes on Netflix of Amazon Video. I don't watch HGTV live because I get too impatient with the commercials.

I remember reading a comment in a post above on the use of "ex-pats" as opposed to "immigrants" for Americans abroad on HHI. Have you ever noticed that in this country people from England and Ireland get called ex-pats, while people from Asia, Central America and South America get called immigrants? I  have. Now just maybe the people from England and Ireland all intend to go back home someday, and all the people from Asia, Central America and South America don't. . . .  But I'm not inclined to lay that flattering unction to American souls.

• Love 1

On another note: I watched a show set in Cairo, Egypt, where the family was moving to expose the kids to Egyptian culture (also, the husband came from Cairo). The American wife walked into a kitchen which had apparently-functioning appliances and said, repeatedly, "This is so outdated." How would she know what's outdated in Cairo? 

• Love 2

On another note: I watched a show set in Cairo, Egypt, where the family was moving to expose the kids to Egyptian culture (also, the husband came from Cairo). The American wife walked into a kitchen which had apparently-functioning appliances and said, repeatedly, "This is so outdated." How would she know what's outdated in Cairo? 

One of the things I have learned from watching this show is that kitchen appliances literally do not work unless they are stainless steel.  Apparently the stainless steel somehow makes the food edible.  I didn't know that but it's the only explanation for the fact that any other kitchen must be completely gutted and rebuilt. 

• Love 7

I was embarrassed by these two. Especially the wife. I hope when she saw this episode, she took a long, hard look at herself. Don't get me wrong, he was bad enough, but she snapped my last nerve. Who in this current day and age is not aware that most properties outside of this country PROBABLY has smaller rooms than you are used to. Listen lady, don't go if you can't handle it. You have an opportunity that most of us will never have. Embrace the adventure. Definitely don't go to another country and insult the people with your unreasonable demands. Did your Mother never teach you "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything." No wonder there is the term "ugly American".

• Love 3

Just watched the Texas to Aberdeen, Scotland episode, and oh my that wife was a whiner.  Everything was better and bigger in Texas.  It was all about her, as is usually the case when the wives have to give up their jobs to accompany their husbands to a foreign country.  i almost lost it when she was feeling the flocked wallpaper and calling it "trippy".  When she said it was fuzzy, the realtor corrected her and said it was flocked, which might not be in style now, but it was a rental property for goodness sake.  I was embarrassed for the realtor.  She certainly got an earful of how living in Texas was so much better than living in Scotland.  I doubt that the husband will be working there permanently.  When you rent a furnished place, the chances are very high that the furniture is not going to be your style.  The last straw was her snide response to the husband's offer to help her in the kitchen and she said he could help by leaving the very small kitchen.  Well, while they might have needed more counter space, putting that small island into that space did not expand it now did it?       

• Love 5

Yes, I've never heard anyone say, "Oh, those yard guys?  They're Colombian ex-pats."

Th at is so true about stainless steel mindset!  And the sad part about it, is that we're probably in the waning days of stainless steel appliances because that fad has been going on for quite a while now, so all those homeowners ripping out those kitchens in order to put it in are going to pick up a home decorating magazine some day soon and see: colored appliances!

• Love 3

h at is so true about stainless steel mindset! And the sad part about it, is that we're probably in the waning days of stainless steel appliances because that fad has been going on for quite a while now, so all those homeowners ripping out those kitchens in order to put it in are going to pick up a home decorating magazine some day soon and see: colored appliances

I did an open plan or whatever and hated the thought of appliances in my living room. So I wanted integrated and a colored range since it could blend in with the cabinets. Let me tell you a decent colored range costs much,much more than a stainless. I found three brands, Wolff, Viking and Bertazonni.

So now when I see stainless I think, poor dears just couldn't afford anything better.

• Love 10

Yes, I've never heard anyone say, "Oh, those yard guys?  They're Colombian ex-pats."

Th at is so true about stainless steel mindset!  And the sad part about it, is that we're probably in the waning days of stainless steel appliances because that fad has been going on for quite a while now, so all those homeowners ripping out those kitchens in order to put it in are going to pick up a home decorating magazine some day soon and see: colored appliances!

Yes! The big question in American life today is "what's coming after stainless steel?" It may be appliances of various colors, as you suggest. And/or, as I suspect, it may be European style appliances where they're hidden behind matching wood cabinetry, at least for those who can afford them.

And/or, as I suspect, it may be European style appliances where they're hidden behind matching wood cabinetry, at least for those who can afford them.

Those have been around for a while now, haven't they?  I like it with dishwashers, but find it a bit overwhelming visually when it's used on refrigerators, too, especially when the cabinets are stained rather than painted.

• Love 2

They have been around a while.  It's part of the reason I have painted cabinets.  The thought of this big slab of stainless in the kitchen reflecting the fire in the living room fireplace was just more open a plan than I'm comfortable with.  So I looked at panel front and hidden.  I went with hidden.  I saw photos of the last 3 kitchens this same person had done and every one of them had integrated.  

For the record Bertazonni has about 8 colors.  Viking has a 6 month lead time for colors.  Wolf does it as a custom piece. 

i don't know where things will end up.  I know that there was a time all countertops had just a 6 inch curb on the back and no tiled backsplash.  That wasn't that long ago.

• Love 2

Was that the family from OC, moving to allow their son to play soccer?  Although we don't know for certain, it truly felt as if the mom was forced into that move.  I assume they high-tailed it back to the OC - or I hope, anyway - when the gov't/political situation changed, shortly thereafter, IIRC.

I'll give her a break for her tiresome comment b/c she needs it, lol!  When she said "outdated", I'm sure she was comparing the kitchens to her only frame of reference, i.e. CA.  And, b/c we hear this same criticism constantly, it's very possible that the production team gave her that comment.  Also, they film so many hours that tptb can compress it into any 'tude they like in the editing room. 

JMHO

Edited by BearCat49
  • Love 1

Just watched the Texas to Aberdeen, Scotland episode, and oh my that wife was a whiner.  Everything was better and bigger in Texas.  It was all about her, as is usually the case when the wives have to give up their jobs to accompany their husbands to a foreign country.  i almost lost it when she was feeling the flocked wallpaper and calling it "trippy".  When she said it was fuzzy, the realtor corrected her and said it was flocked, which might not be in style now, but it was a rental property for goodness sake.  I was embarrassed for the realtor.  She certainly got an earful of how living in Texas was so much better than living in Scotland.  I doubt that the husband will be working there permanently.  When you rent a furnished place, the chances are very high that the furniture is not going to be your style.  The last straw was her snide response to the husband's offer to help her in the kitchen and she said he could help by leaving the very small kitchen.  Well, while they might have needed more counter space, putting that small island into that space did not expand it now did it?       

Noticed something else about the episode.  She seemed to do all of her whining, or possibly the majority of it, in their apartment, the first choice.  So, did everyone get that as a first impression and stick with it?  Just curious -

I could be incorrect but IIRC she actually complimented, too much IMHO, the other properties.  Plus, she seemed to have totally embraced the situation during the brief, postscript scenes, going on "walkies" with the dogs and enjoying their other travels.  Given that, it felt as if the producers had instructed her to bad mouth their move ( in the opening scenes, i.e. first impressions) plus the apt they already lived in!  Gotta' throw the viewers off the trail, as if we can't figure it out, anyway!

Wasn't she complimenting the flocked wallpaper?  Again, I might have been asleep by the second house so let me know!  Even if her hands were clean, our hands contain oils so I just wanted to tell her to get her paws off of it!

BearCat, yes she seemed to reserve most of her snark for the first apartment and as they say first impressions are hard to forget.  I'm not sure if she was complimenting or dissing the flocked wallpaper.  She certainly did not know the correct term for it since she called it fuzzy.  Her reaction to the other decor in that 2nd apartment was less than complimentary though.    .

Last night's family moving from Paris to London.  I couldn't stand the wife.  Yes this is not Paris so therefore I'm sick of you saying everything is not like they had in France.  They were pretty low maintenance in that they only wanted a 3 br house with no special features.  I guess that stems from coming from another European location.

The realtor, Toby Brown, on the other hand had a voice that made me want to mute the TV!!  God he didn't shutup once.  He seemed so conniving when he showed them properties above their price range that he could have been twirling his moustache.

Last night's family moving from Paris to London.  I couldn't stand the wife.  Yes this is not Paris so therefore I'm sick of you saying everything is not like they had in France.  They were pretty low maintenance in that they only wanted a 3 br house with no special features.  I guess that stems from coming from another European location.

I noticed that they both kept saying "we didn't have this in Paris", which wasn't necessarily a complaint, but still got tiresome. Because of having moved a lot in the past, I'm conscious of looking at each place as the here and now, and not referring to somewhere else to the people in your new location.  It's irritating.

• Love 2

I laugh at the ones that take those top-floor, un-airconditioned apartments under the roof that require their guests to climb up 100+ stairs.

Let's see how often those guests come back after their first visit - and after spending hours drinking and having to try to go down those same stairs without stumbling.  I can hear it now: "Why don't we meet you instead at Cafe___?"

• Love 2
I don't know why, but I thought those two were just as cute as they could be.

I know why. They had a sense of adventure, they weren't petty, they didn't have unrealistic demands, they seemed grateful for the opportunity they were given, and they respected each other.  And I love the Hampstead Heath area, it's a win/win for me!

• Love 2

Agree about the Hampstead Heath couple.  She didn't whine the entire time about having to give up her job and how much better things were in Ohio.  As mentioned by others though, her voice was like fingernails on a chalkboard. 

Edited by laredhead

Monaco!  I want to see bazillion dollar house hunting in Monaco.

I think I remember seeing one episode in Monaco. I wish I could remember the details. It was interesting because he wasn't a bazillionaire. I think his circumstances were much more modest, which made the hunt more interesting. I'll try to find the episode info.

• Love 2

Another nice thing about the Ohio to London couple is that we didn't have to watch them cram themselves on a daily basis into a 600 sq.ft. "under budget" apartment so that they could "traaaa-vel throughout Europe" on their weekend getaways.  Yes, travel is nice, but not if you have to live like a hobbit when you're at home!

While they were young and cute and adventurous, I came away from this episode thinking that they were also very naïve and somewhat unprepared for their relocation.  They didn't seem to have a $$$ figure at hand when asked about their budget, were surprised when their realtor basically told them their budget would have to be around $2,500/mo., and then pretty readily accepted that figure and, indeed, went beyond it, rather than exhibiting some control from the outset.   So nice to be young, in love, and living in London, but they still have a lot of growing up to do.

And, yes...that voice!

• Love 1

I liked the Ohio couple a lot. They were bright and enthusiastic, and realistic in what they wanted. And I'm totally on board with wanting an American fridge. I'm engaged to a Brit, and I've already told him I can live in the most wall-papered, no clothes dryer, no closets, smallest English home ever, but it must have an American sized refrigerator. I can't deal with those tiny things they use that barely hold a loaf of bread, and as my future husband, I insist he keep me in the manner to which I was born.

I knew they'd go for the first house. Since we all know the show is rigged, as soon as they looked blankly at the realtor when he asked about budget, I knew the game. Who doesn't know their housing budget when looking for a place to live? Then he showed them the home that was perfect except for budget, and I knew "over budget" was the only way they could justify the couple not saying, "we'll take it!" as soon as he showed it to them. The whole budget thing was just to keep the drama up.

When they checked in with them later, and the husband talked about how his company had lots of expats, and their guests were American, I was like, aw bless -- they found people they were comfortable relating to.

• Love 2

Regarding the Ohio to London couple, I thought London was wasted on them. They didn't seem to know much about it, or about England, and Hampstead Heath was basically a place to run. But I was only half-watching while I cleaned, so maybe I'm doing them an injustice.

Edited to add: Or maybe I'm just jealous of 20-somethings who can afford to live in Hampstead!

Edited by peggy06
  • Love 2

I just wanted to throttle the Tamagachis in Aberdeen Scotland last night.  A childless couple from Texas relocating due to his work.  They wanted close to the city or at least bus service for the wife because she would be sooooooo  bored while he is at work.  Fine..sounds good.  Wanted fenced yard for the dogs.  (this goes without saying on every single episode of HH's ).

Started out fine until we heard their complaints about the size of the kitchen and the rooms.  Honey you're not in Texas anymore.  She annoyed me more than he did and it's possible it was just the way she was complaining but I don't know.  They were being unreasonable.  The first house was so perfect for them, close to work, close to bus, 3 BRs, 2-1/2 baths, etc.  Shockingly that's the one they took..even though the rooms were sooooooo small.

I'm glad I didn't see that episode as I'm sure it would have raised my blood pressure. I absolutely fell in love with the architecture of Aberdeen-the Granite City-when I first went there. It is so beautiful. I'd rather live in a studio apartment in Aberdeen than a McMansion in Texas any day. I hate when people like her give Americans a bad name.

I'm glad I didn't see that episode as I'm sure it would have raised my blood pressure. I absolutely fell in love with the architecture of Aberdeen-the Granite City-when I first went there. It is so beautiful. I'd rather live in a studio apartment in Aberdeen than a McMansion in Texas any day. I hate when people like her give Americans a bad name.

As mentioned above, I didn't think she was that bad.  Thought she was purposely criticizing the rental they were already residing in for the producers' benefit.  I would recommend that episode to everyone / anyone for the scenery, alone. 

JMHO

Edited by BearCat49

I watched a Paris one last night, a woman was looking and had her mother along. I think this is the first time I didn't get claustrophobic during the searches, even though the apartments were studios. I  kind of liked what she did with the renovation one she chose but still thought it needed some tweaking. Loved the colors but wish she had done it more like the finished studio (3rd apartment). I loved the efficiency of that kitchen and bathroom but didn't like the trundle couch. But I liked her choice and what she did with it. But I can't figure out if it was a repeat or new. It was filmed a different way, almost like a movie during the "must choose one" segment. Did anyone else get that?

That episode was first shown on 11/27/13.  (BTW, tvguide.com has the episode info, if you need it, stewedsquash.)  Was it an Adrian Leeds episode?  Not sure but if it's the one I'm thinking of, it appeared on Adrian's website as a vacay rental. 

That episode was first shown on 11/27/13.  (BTW, tvguide.com has the episode info, if you need it, stewedsquash.)  Was it an Adrian Leeds episode?  Not sure but if it's the one I'm thinking of, it appeared on Adrian's website as a vacay rental. 

It was an Adrian Leeds episode.  Adrian certainly has style, I love her clothes and her berets.

bearcat,

Yes, Adrian was the realtor, complete with a yellow beret! I missed the first part so I am not sure where they were from. She wound up doing the apartment in an acid green. I don't think this was a vacation rental, I got the impression she was living there. Ok googling Adrian... Scroll down to the Living a teenage dream episode and that is the one I am talking about.    http://adrianleeds.com/home/house-hunters-international 

Also, it's funny how you will be thinking about something and stuff gets put in front of you...I have been thoroughly pissed with my cable service and the horrible guide/search options for finding shows. I have been debating getting a subscription to old school paperback TVGuide and there you go bearcat, mentioning it! So I am off to google again, for a subscription to TVGuide! I don't like it online.

But before I do...I am going to get lost in Adrian's website!

eta I was composing and googling while Honey was posting...

Yes, BearCat, it was an Adrian Leeds episode.  The finished apartment was very nice.  Lime green was the color choice for walls and some of the furnishings.

Thanks, everybody.  Yes, that green was memorable!  That's the episode I remember from Adrian's website, not that long or only shortly after the episode aired.

Too funny, stewedsquash - came by earlier (shortly after you'd posted again) but didn't have time to post.  Neglected to mention that the episode info's also available on hgtv.com.  (We all have our mutual esp working!)  Between those 2 sites, I believe the TV Guide website's easier to maneuver, especially if you utilize their "favorites" tab. 

Great idea to subscribe to the TV Guide print edition.  Bet it's much faster, lol!  And, you can probably find a discount subscription somewhere for $5 or something, online, naturally!  Hahahaha ...

Yes, I do remember they either said or implied she'd be living in Paris full-time.  JMHO but I believe tptb manipulate the participants' RL stories b/c according to them, it's far more romantic or dramatic to up and quit your job and move overseas w/o employment or a plan or furniture or anything, basically.  I certainly don't have time to check out many of the HH participants but am pretty sure that 100% of the ones I have had their stories significantly changed for dramatic purposes.  Again, JMHO. 

Happy Holidays, everyone!

Edited by BearCat49
  • Love 1

Before you subscribe to the print TV Guide you should know they only list prime time scheduled shows;  no day time TV.  I use it plus my U-verse on-line 24/7 schedule plus the print edition of TV Guide to insure I don't miss new episodes of shows I like, but that isn't fool proof either. 

Stewedsquash, U-verse is my cable/internet company and they have their own on-line guide.  I was just suggesting that you might want to look at a printed TV Guide before subscribing to see what it looks like these days.  It's not the TV Guide of 30 years ago where everything was listed from early morning to late night.

• Love 1

stewedsquash, did you set up the "Favorites" tab on the TV Guide online edition?  If you do that, you might find it easier to locate your info.  And, it does include everything, listed on the screen in the same format as the old, print edition.

Good Luck!

• Love 1

When I used to use TV Guideonline it used to allow me to select my cable provider which made the correct channels pop up as well. Then I'd just select my favorites to make all the other listings I didn't want disappear and it was pretty manageable. That was a few years ago though. Good luck!! 

The two women moving to Panama that we all loved so much are coming up soon in a rerun. 11:.30 PM next Sunday night per my guide. 'Panamanian Divas in the House'.  I think that shall always be my favorite episode. 

Good point, Andyourlittledog2.  That's how it worked for me, too - the TV Guide online worked best with the proper cable provider.  We have multiple services here but selecting the right one made the channels pop on the Favorites tab, stewedsquash.  Good luck!

I believe the Panama women are great examples of HHI participants who used their appearance on the program to its best advantage and didn't lose focus WRT their main goal, i.e. promoting the murder book!  As we saw above, like pretty much all the HHI participants, there's more to their story, too.  They stayed on task, however, and accomplished their goal, IMHO.

edited b/c this is the HHI thread not HH!  Hahaha, hohoho ...

Edited by BearCat49
  • Love 1

Just watched an ep with a guy moving to Singapore from Brooklyn. I was interested because one of my colleagues just returned from two years in Singapore (with his family) to open an office there. The first thing I noticed was that the guy had the biggest eyes I've ever seen. The second, which I'd heard, is that Singapore must be crazy expensive if ex-pats from NYC were telling him to be prepared. (One of my friends lived in China for a year and explored Singapore, and he had sticker shock.) Also, his budget was $2200 and he got more space for his budget than I would have expected.

He ended up going with a place that was $300 a month over budget to live in a trendy location; there was a gorgeous place right on budget that was in a more residential area, but he chose location.

Sidebar: he said he was saving money by brown-bagging it and taking public transportation, and I was thinking "Were you really going to cab it every day? Did you do that in Brooklyn?" I don't know any regular person who takes a cab to work every day - hell, I've had a number of celebrity sightings on the subway.

On the marathon today, I just watched the episode of Emerald from Perth moving to Paris to give dinner parties.  Judging by her parents house in Perth - which was absolutely gorgeous - Emerald comes from a family with money.  But I didn't get why her former boss Walis? was also in Paris and if they were actually going to run the business together.  Plus who would come to such dinner parties?????

Can't believe she knocked out Apt 3 because of the purple.  It seemed the best suited for her purposes.

I looked for her blog but it's no longer up and she hasn't tweeted since October so I guess the "business" has folded????

• Love 1

I saw that one too and was interested because I lived in Paris. To me, a toilet in the kitchen when you are hosting dinner parties regularly would be a deal-breaker. Her family did seem to have money (I rewound the ep a few times to look at a series of 8 paintings on the wall) and I'd also guess she banked a bit from her days as a corporate attorney (fakest "at work" scene ever), as those positions are lucrative. I couldn't figure out how pop-up dinner parties make money - are they just small catering jobs?

Now I'm watching three recent college grads try to find an apartment to share in Madrid. I have (American) friends in Madrid and have been there, so this is fun to watch. I stayed right near where option # 3 (their chosen one - the right call for them, IMO) was.

Edited by Empress1

I wasn't quite certain about Wallis, either. Did she already have an apt that wasn't dinner party friendly so it was up to Emerald to get an apt to host them? And did they mention they would be having dinner parties? Because they're going to be having dinner parties, bitches. Lots of them.