Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: Death Will Have His Day

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Lucious announces he will stop at nothing to be at the top of his company again, but he'll have to make his way past Cookie first. Meanwhile, Rhonda, Andre and the rest of the Lyon family struggle to come to terms with a horrific tragedy that will change their lives forever.

Good to have the show back, finally. I was about to give up.

Cookie has got to stop beating Hakeem with a broom and then her purse. Ha.

Lucious is pathetic, but he made me laugh when he called Hakeem, "Fredo." Hakeem isn't wrong about Lucious deserving this payback. I cannot believe he threatened to kill Hakeem. I love how he refused to do what Lucious wants. I hope that Hakeem tells Cookie so she will take Lucious down.

I thought the Lock guy was on Lucious' side from his reaction to the take over last season.

Poor Rhona. Anika is evil as hell.

This time I was not fooled by the Pepsi ad. However, Jamal's song was weak.

• Love 2

If the broom could talk: "Did y'all miss me?"  

At this point though, I am so over the back and forth over who owns Empire.  "It's mine!" "No, bitch it's mine!"  "Nah, my lover got it through her wife and give it to me, it's mine!"  If that happened in real life, their stock would be at zero. 

• Love 10

All I have to say to the writers is THANK YOU! For me, this was the best episode yet. Why? Because it FINALLY felt like an actual soap opera and not a musical/guest variety show. It focused on the family and the plotting to get their company back. The episode wasn't tied down by excessive music and useless guest stars either. I'm cautiously optimistic since the previews continue to look more like a focus on characters and story. This was a good comeback episode!

Edited by Syndicate
  • Love 12

Hakeem is lying to Laura, isn't he? Damn you 'Keem. You'd come so far.

Poor Rhonda and Andre. Trai was excellent in this ep. I thought we'd learn who pushed Rhonda right away, but it looks like we have to wait for that.

I thought Cookie & Camilla both brought it fashion-wise tonight. Theirs is a fun rivalry.

Next week looks good!

• Love 3

I agree it's good to have the focus back on the core characters, though I am getting tired of Jamal's and Hakeem's love lives. And it's really confusing to keep track of who's in and who's out at Empire and at Lyon Dynasty.

Saddest moment: Andre packing up the nursery and sobbing. I wonder if Rhonda had an epiphany on the stairs during that flashback, when she remembered being pushed.

Is Lucious really ruthless enough to kill his own son or is he just bluffing?

I wonder who was in the ambulance in the previews of next week. Has the show dropped the "Lucious is sick" storyline?

• Love 2

I absolutely love it that they didn't allow Rhonda to sniff out Anika as the culprit in this episode by moving at the pace which they have in the past. But here's what I'm really hoping for: The writers have decided that they've been way too obvious with their storyline revelations and outcomes in the past, and have decided that Anika didn't push Rhonda after all. That opens up another door to a neat little soapy mystery of just who DID push Rhonda.

• Love 5

I thought it was Anika who pushed Rhona, but if it wasn't her, who could it be? Hmmmmmm lol

Oh I think most of the audience deduced that it was her before the show's hiatus. I'm just saying since that's too painfully obvious, I would've liked it if the writers cleverly switched gears and made it someone else. Maybe someone in Andre's business circle?

• Love 3

I like the Hakeem character but the actor is not the strongest and too much Hakeem only serves to highlight this. I do love that despite all that has happened, it's clear that he wants the closeness he and Cookie developed to remain in tact.

I was surprised they allowed Rhonda to live. If the story reflected what reality should be ( I know, I'm just making the point) then there should be cameras surrounding the house to see the culprit coming and going, but since we know this will be revealed to not be the case, then Rhonda was needed to reveal what happened.

Cookie remains my absolute favorite -- beat that ass like a boss. Hakeem knew what time it was when he walked through the door and saw his mother waiting for him in the dark.

I know I should, but I can't really muster any sympathy for Lucious.

• Love 4

What the hell was Hakeem wearing? He looked like Howdy Doody in newspaper print. And WTF does he see in Yo-Ho? Especially when he has that Latina cutie longing for him? I can't get with Jamal and the sex freedom thing. I know that's what people want to go with, but like Cookie said, pick a team; stick with it. I have to admit that the show he put on with his new song was hot though. Cookie, please beat down Yo-Ho and send her back across the pond. BTW, where is her lesbian wife? I guess she just used her to get what she wanted, revenge on Lucious. It's getting hard to keep track of the schemes and players. Poor Rhonda and Andre. Their scenes were heartbreaking. Yes, Boo Boo Kitty pushed Rhonda so that her illegitimate offspring can be the heir. She was so fake when she showed up at the hospital that I wanted to punch her in the face. I wonder how long it will take for her to mess up and wear the shoes she wore to the scene of the crime again. The dead cat. LOL Wow. That was as low as that bitch getting a free tongue job in the elevator. Waiting to see what Lucious is going to do next, because I believe he would kill Hakeem, if for nothing else than crimes against fashion.

• Love 2

Hakeem is an ungrateful brat. I loved Cookie kicking him out of the hospital and him having to watch from afar his family together. He's got a pregnant Anika, married to a lesbian Camila and also just took the virginity of Laura. Who was an idiot taking Hakeem back minutes after his trashed her.

I figure Rhonda will remember the Loubutin's walking away and it will clue her in on Anika. 

Jamal was boring this episode. 

Loved Lucious & Cookie coming together.

I actually think the mystery of who pushed Rhonda down the stairs is gonna morph into 'What will Rhonda do when she does find out it was Boo Boo Kitty'. We know Rhonda has a bad ass side too, and can be ruthless when she wanna be. I wanna see her putting two and two together and plotting on somebody. If Boo Boo Kitty winds up dead or injured, my money will be on Rhonda.

After Cookie broke that broom on Hakeem's ass and then picked up her purse and continued the beat down, I guarantee there were folks all over having flashbacks to their own childhood beat downs. I know I was. Cookie should've added a 'Don't you run from me, boy!' for good measure lol.

Lucius, you reap what you sow, bruh. And Cookie WILL KILL YOU DEAD if you try that with one of her kids. Don't act like you don't know who Cookie be, son.

• Love 10

Because I still have hope that this show is going to NOT be so obvious, I'm hoping that it wasn't Anika who pushed Rhonda down the stairs and that all of that was a red herring. I'm hoping it was that woman from the mayor's office (or whatever office) who Andre threatened with exposing if she didn't do what he wanted, when SHE wanted nookie from him for doing it.

It's just too pat and clean if it's Anika. I think Rhonda will think it's Anika, but seriously - a lot of women probably have that same pair of Christian Louboutin flats.

I think Anika as the killer is a red herring. Whoever pushed Rhonda killed a baby - I don't think it would be a good idea to have Anika sent away to prison for that long. I'd rather it was someone else.

• Love 1

I enjoyed the episode very much but was a little disappointed that it didn't really have any jaw-dropping, stunning moments. Even the scene with Lucious and Hakeem at the spot of Bunky's murder wasn't really that intense - of course Lucious wasn't going to be shot! Duh!! If anything, I though the gun might not have even been loaded. I get that the scene served another purpose - to show Hakeem's stubbornness and to show Lucious' blind determination to "anything" to get Empire back - but it still lacked the oomph that I'd hoped it might have - you know, when you sort of hold your breath the whole time! Didn't happen for me.

When Anika came to visit Rhonda in the hospital, she said, "When I heard the news.." Heard it from who? Where? Was it on the news or something? On TMZ? How would Anika have known what happened? She's on the outs with the whole Lyon family. So that sort of annoyed me.

On a shallow note, I loved Camilla's green dress. And I also loved the décor of the baby's nursery - fabulous color scheme, those gorgeous earthy tones and lots of white! I love that it wasn't the standard pastel colors (usually pale yellow or pale green if the baby's gender is unknown). I'm surprised that Andre was the one packing up the baby stuff...I'm guessing they have a staff in their household, someone else should have done it. I hope the loss of this baby doesn't send Andre over the edge.

I don't like Hakeem's girlfriend. There's just something about her that rubs me the wrong way. Why is he soooo smitten with her? Is it her innocence and purity? Well, that's down the tubes now! I loved the scene when Hakeem showed up a bit drunk to the girls' rehearsal and the two back up singers mouthed off! "You suck!" So funny! I do sort of like that song, however.

All of that said, I'm just happy the show is back!

I know that's what people want to go with, but like Cookie said, pick a team; stick with it. I have to admit that the show he put on with his new song was hot though. Cookie, please beat down Yo-Ho and send her back across the pond. BTW, where is her lesbian wife? I guess she just used her to get what she wanted, revenge on Lucious. It's getting hard to keep track of the schemes and players. Poor Rhonda and Andre. Their scenes were heartbreaking. Yes, Boo Boo Kitty pushed Rhonda so that her illegitimate offspring can be the heir.

Pick a team and stick with it?  Illegitimate offspring?  First, why does anybody have to pick a team, just to make others feel comfortable.  It's not any person's job to make people feel comfortable.  And second, I don't think it's nice to call a child "illegitimate" I mean this isn't the 1950's. 

I though the gun might not have even been loaded. I get that the scene served another purpose - to show Hakeem's stubbornness and to show Lucious' blind determination to "anything" to get Empire back - but it still lacked the oomph that I'd hoped it might have - you know, when you sort of hold your breath the whole time! Didn't happen for me.

It happened for me because I thought the gun wasn't loaded and Lucious just wanted to see what Hakeem would do and now Lucious knows that Hakeem will only go so far, but Lucious, he'd go all the way.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 5

I was afraid Rhonda was going to die and I like the character so I was relieved when she didnt.  Hopefully  Rhonda will realize it was Anika who pushed her and some "accident" will happen to Anika too.  I just dont like the Naomi Campbell character.  It bugs me that she speaks with that fake European accent.  

I literally had my finger on the delete button during the Godfather-esque montage with all the board members getting their cars blown up, cats killed, etc. because it was the dumbest, most unbelievable thing I've ever seen on this show, which is saying a lot.  But I love Taraji and the kid who plays Hakeem, so I'm going to try and hang in there for the rest of this season.

I realized part way through this that I think I would like this as a limited series - like maybe 6 episodes a year as I find it so redundant and over the top - could barely sit through it to the end and felt like I could almost mouth some of the dialogue just before they spoke.  There was a moment that I felt I was watching a parody of Empire vs. the show itself - rats.

Sometimes there is such a thing as too much of a good thing and this is one of them.  Less is more in this instance - (personally, of course)

• Love 1

I was hoping that when Hakeem and the Latina were ready for her to lose her virginity, Hakeem would find out that 'she' was a "he".

I kept hollering at the TV, "She's a man! She's a man!!!"

But, dammit, I was wrong,

• Love 2

What the hell was Hakeem wearing? He looked like Howdy Doody in newspaper print. And WTF does he see in Yo-Ho? Especially when he has that Latina cutie longing for him? I can't get with Jamal and the sex freedom thing. I know that's what people want to go with, but like Cookie said, pick a team; stick with it. I have to admit that the show he put on with his new song was hot though. Cookie, please beat down Yo-Ho and send her back across the pond. BTW, where is her lesbian wife? I guess she just used her to get what she wanted, revenge on Lucious. It's getting hard to keep track of the schemes and players. Poor Rhonda and Andre. Their scenes were heartbreaking. Yes, Boo Boo Kitty pushed Rhonda so that her illegitimate offspring can be the heir. She was so fake when she showed up at the hospital that I wanted to punch her in the face. I wonder how long it will take for her to mess up and wear the shoes she wore to the scene of the crime again. The dead cat. LOL Wow. That was as low as that bitch getting a free tongue job in the elevator. Waiting to see what Lucious is going to do next, because I believe he would kill Hakeem, if for nothing else than crimes against fashion.

Naomi Campbell is gorgeous.  The latina singer's face is pretty but bland.  Kinda like vanilla pudding.....its sweet but if you have a choice between Hunt's Vanilla Pudding or Creole bread pudding at Commanders Palace in New Orleans......you go with the second.

I think Camilla sent Mimi away to dry out or detox or something.

I was hoping that when Hakeem and the Latina were ready for her to lose her virginity, Hakeem would find out that 'she' was a "he".

I kept hollering at the TV, "She's a man! She's a man!!!"

But, dammit, I was wrong,

well....all the covers were on, and I've heard of Madam Butterfly so.....its possible......

Because I still have hope that this show is going to NOT be so obvious, I'm hoping that it wasn't Anika who pushed Rhonda down the stairs and that all of that was a red herring. I'm hoping it was that woman from the mayor's office (or whatever office) who Andre threatened with exposing if she didn't do what he wanted, when SHE wanted nookie from him for doing it.

It's just too pat and clean if it's Anika. I think Rhonda will think it's Anika, but seriously - a lot of women probably have that same pair of Christian Louboutin flats.

I think Anika as the killer is a red herring. Whoever pushed Rhonda killed a baby - I don't think it would be a good idea to have Anika sent away to prison for that long. I'd rather it was someone else.

I think this show does skew towards the obvious (which is fine with me) and I think whoever it was will be caught by their shoes...Matlock style!

• Love 1

After Mimi was voted in as Empire's new chairman, she immediately handed over the reigns of the company to Camilla, so she could travel to California to undergo chemo and radiation for her cancer.

• Love 3

It happened for me because I thought the gun wasn't loaded and Lucious just wanted to see what Hakeem would do and now Lucious knows that Hakeem will only go so far, but Lucious, he'd go all the way.

I don't know if I'd so much think about it as a dramatic moment or a rare subtle character beat (at least for this show). Remember, Lucious picked Jamal because he was ruthless enough to dangle dude over the balcony to get some masters and prove how far he would go to get Empire. Lucious has been testing Hakeem all season, to see if he had any grit or cojones (for lack of a better word). I'm inclined to think if Hakeem had pulled the trigger and shown he wasn't just a boy being led around by his mother figure of the week, Lucious would respect him enough to let him be. MMV,though.

• Love 2

Glad the show is back, but the music hasn't improved at all. I have to FF when Jamal sings. Sounds like a billy goat on auto-tune. 

It is Jamal. He sings way too much. So, the songs are sort of diluted. They need to let the other members of the show sing. 

• Love 2

After Mimi was voted in as Empire's new chairman, she immediately handed over the reigns of the company to Camilla, so she could travel to California to undergo chemo and radiation for her cancer.

I wonder if Mimi will die and then it will be revealed that Camilla killed her. 

Naomi Campbell is gorgeous.  The latina singer's face is pretty but bland.  Kinda like vanilla pudding.....its sweet but if you have a choice between Hunt's Vanilla Pudding or Creole bread pudding at Commanders Palace in New Orleans......you go with the second.

well....all the covers were on, and I've heard of Madam Butterfly so.....its possible......

I think this show does skew towards the obvious (which is fine with me) and I think whoever it was will be caught by their shoes...Matlock style!

Oh man, that Commanders Palace bread pudding is the shit!!! And Latina lead singer girl don't even come close. She just doesnt have it. Also, where the heck is Seraya?
  • Love 2

Guys, let's all remember to disagree without being disagreeable.

This show brings up a lot of topics that people have strong opinions about.  That's fine; argue the opinions as much as you like.  But don't make things personal, please.

(edited)

I'm glad this nutbar factor 6 (TM Kevin O'Leary) show is back as well!!  It's been gone too long.

Having said that, I still hate what they've done to Annika and am holding out slim hope that it wasn't her who pushed Rhonda down the stairs. Dre broke my heart when he was packing up the nursery; that man can act and is underappreciated, but I'm hoping that's about to change.

Seems like the family is banding together to put everything back together and be even stronger than ever and the only one I hate to see benefit from that is Lucious. I'm thinking/ hoping (?) that Hakeem gave Cookie what she wanted because he knows she's going to overthrow Camilla and he's fine with that.

And, finally, too much Jamal singing. I like the actor a lot but I don't think he can sing that well, and I wish they'd stop giving him four or five songs an episode. Maybe it just feels like four or five. Oh, finally finally, is the mess with the little chick thug rap singer (cannot remember her name) all over? Thank goodness we've come back to focusing on the family. That's what made me love Empire from the start.

Edited by PepperMonkey

Jamal's singing is basically one note, as all the songs he sings sound so much the same.  He doesn't have a range of vocal talent.

Cookie is my main favorite.  I just love how she kicks ass.

Read a couple of articles where Grace Gealey, while not giving anything away, makes it sound like there could be a couple of people who could have pushed Rhonda.  My guess is that nasty, hooker looking, attorney who is hell bent on convicting any Lyon family member.  

• Love 1

I almost think Anika is too obvious as to who pushed Rhonda. I suspect that lawyer that Andre had a thing with. She seemed like she was getting a Crazy Eyesish if I remember right.

I am glad Rhonda is alive, I thought for sure she was a goner. I like her, and I like her and Andre. I felt awful for both of them this episode, having to deal with this on top of everything else. Whoever pushed Rhonda is going to be in a world of pain when they find out who did it.

I like that they are getting back to the family drama, and more of the business drama. Combining the two is when the show is at its best.  

(edited)

Pick a team and stick with it? Illegitimate offspring? First, why does anybody have to pick a team, just to make others feel comfortable. It's not any person's job to make people feel comfortable. And second, I don't think it's nice to call a child "illegitimate" I mean this isn't the 1950's.

First off, Cookie said pick a team. If you have an issue take it up with the writers. Secondly, "illegitimate" is the definition of a child born out of wedlock. Sorry if that offends you. I'm a writer, I use every word in the vocabulary to paint a picture.

Read a couple of articles where Grace Gealey, while not giving anything away, makes it sound like there could be a couple of people who could have pushed Rhonda. My guess is that nasty, hooker looking, attorney who is hell bent on convicting any Lyon family member.

Guess, we'll have to wait and see. I will be very surprised if it isn't Anika, though. She's coming across as bat-shit crazy this season.

Edited by taurusrose

Having said that, I still hate what they've done to Annika and am holding out slim hope that it wasn't her who pushed Rhonda down the stairs.

I think we're supposed to think Anika pushed Rhonda, but Louboutin makes men's shoes too.    I mean she's the logical choice but everything about the way that outline moved made me believe that was a man.

I just came to post that upon rewatch, I think Rhonda was pushed by a man. I thought about Thirsty, but unless LB makes purple , red, green and orange loafers with yellow and blue trim, I don't think he did it, could have paid to have it done, but he didn't do the deed himself.

• Love 1
(edited)

Empire is back!  What craziness do they have instore now?!

Actually, it wasn't too wacky, but I thought it was a solid enough return, which didn't surprise since I saw that Danny Strong was writing and directing this episode.  I know Empire is pretty much considered Lee Daniels show, but I do think Strong is just as important, because I feel like his episodes tend to move the plot forward and put the pieces together, while still mainly containing the soap.  I thought this episode had solid movements and made me curious to see where it is heading.

Figured they were going to end up having Rhonda live, but lose the child, but I'm glad she's still around for now.  But I wonder what this means for her and Andre going forward.  Even looking past wherever she can have a child again, I wonder if they are going somewhere with her brief burst about their being no God, which I'm sure will not sit well with Andre.  And, of course, there is who pushed her.  This episode clearly was flashing a big neon arrow at Anika, so that makes me wonder if there will be a major swerve, or if they're just being that obvious about it.  But the only other person I kind of suspect his Thirsty, but I'm not entirely sure what he'd have to gain by it.  But I just feel like the animosity between him and Andre is leading to something big.

Hakeem is now the CEO and pretty much letting everyone play him like a fiddle.  He's pretty much just doing whatever Camille tells him too, until the one time he doesn't, and it turns out it's all part of Cookie's grand plan.  Yeah, I don't see Hakeem lasting very long as the "King of Empire."  At least he knew not to fall for Lucious' little performance, because I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if that gun was never loaded.  I don't see Lucious having the guts to give him a loaded gun.

Not sure where they are going with Jamal and his issues with William Fichtner's character over him sleeping with Alicia Keys that one time.

Ironically, Hakeem probably doomed his relationship with Lauren by sleeping with her.  Usually, that's considered a good step in a relationship, but this just probably means their eventual break-up will be even worse.

Biggest laugh-out-loud moment goes to either Hakeem's ridiculous outfit during the meeting with Cookie and Jamal, or Lucious meeting with his henchmen, which felt like a scene straight-out of a gangster movie.  Lucious just needed to a cigar.

Only thing I would put money on that the moment is that Cookie will destroy Camille.  And it will probably be ugly.  Hilarious too.  But oh so ugly.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 3
(edited)

I did love that Hakeem refused to shoot Lucious. Out of all the boys, Hakeem is the most like his mama, so there's no way he was placing ambition above family. That said, it had to sting to watch the rest of his family console Rhonda and Andre from afar.

I also loved that as angry as he was with the deserved beatdown he received from Cookie, it didn't damage their relationship nearly as much as it would have, even six months ago. Hakeem is beginning to understand the real depth of Cookie's love and sacrifice for him. Hopefully he gleaned some of her legendary hustle because he's definitely gonna need it as Empire's new CEO.

He's also gonna need it when it comes to his love life. He has no fewer than FOUR romantic partners (Camilla, Tiana, Laura, Anika) to satisfy, in addition to running a Fortune 500 company, so the youngest Lyon Prince definitely has his hands full in the upcoming weeks.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 2

Really loved the episode. A great one to return on to be honest.

I think we're meant to believe that Anika pushed Rhonda but I don't think it will be her.

Hakeem getting smacked by Cookie he brought on himself but Camilla and Laura, it's hard to care about both of his relationships with these women too.

Lucious is mad but I'm not sure he's mad enough to actually kill his own son. I like that Hakeem didn't rise to the bait either.

Jamal's sexuality, episode generated enough discussion but let this be the last time we hear about that incident with Sky already.

Great music in this episode, Heavy being a particular favourite, 9/10

(edited)
Great music in this episode, Heavy being a particular favourite, 9/10

Agreed! I loved all the music in this episode. Heavy is great, but I also loved "Freedom," which Jamal sang at the ASA event. And I also really liked "Crown" which Laura sang. IMO, the music's been really strong this season.

Edited by Gillian Rosh

Yawn. The show is so unbelieveable it's getting boring.

I thought it was very insensitive for Cookie to tell Andre that he and Rhonda were young and could have more kids. True, but that was not the moment to say something like that. 

• Love 3

Yawn. The show is so unbelieveable it's getting boring.

I thought it was very insensitive for Cookie to tell Andre that he and Rhonda were young and could have more kids. True, but that was not the moment to say something like that. 

It was incredibly insensitive, but it's also something that a lot of people say.

They usually have good intentions and are trying to be comforting.

While it stung to hear Cookie say it, it was believable that someone would.

• Love 2