Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

Thanks for the recap @DanaK!  I’ve been on a little GH hiatus myself and wow I missed a lot!  Last I watched was the Bobbie/Jackie farewell but I still have the episodes saved on my dvr.  Gonna have to go back and take a look at some.

I started watching GH in 1996 for Jax/Brenda.  Stayed for the early Jason/Elizabeth story.  Not sure I'd know how to view them now given all the history with the subsequent women Jason has been with over the years, starting with Corky, Sam and lastly Britt.  Elizabeth too, with Ric, Lucky, Nik (ick), etc.  I love Hudson West as Jake, but fear he'd be made the foil for his half brother Danny.  IMO, the time to have really done Jason/Elizabeth was when SBu returned in 2002.  Instead we got the "flabby" four with Sonny, Carly and Corky.  Blech.  :(

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Artsda said:

I'll keep Eva, can we drop Blaze. 

I like Blaze. I think she’s a breath of fresh air on an otherwise stale show. And I enjoy her and Kristina. 

I wish I could be excited for Eva joining the cast but she was cast as Lola’s mom on Y&R and they completely wasted her. I know, different show, different writers, and maybe Mulcahy will do better by her. Here’s hoping anyway.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, jsbt said:

TV Line has a pic up. They also claim Mulcahey's work won't air til mid-late March, but they may or may not be piggybacking off prior reports.

This is my second week not watching, I couldn't take it anymore.  I thought Mulcahey's writing  would begin in early March.  So this is a bummer. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I wish I could more optimistic about the writer change but I think what’s airing now is more Korte influenced than ever before so I only see things marginally improving once Patrick comes onboard. Previous episodes she was credited with writing were extremely heavy with Carly/Michael/Joss plus their SOs and all of them have gotten heavy focus this month. TBH, I only see things improving for characters Patrick takes a liking to that Korte is also indifferent towards. 

• Like 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, CeChase said:

This is my second week not watching, I couldn't take it anymore.  I thought Mulcahey's writing  would begin in early March.  So this is a bummer. 

FWIW, Soap Opera Network is doubling down on it being a mix of Mulcahey's work and the past HWs (Dan and Chris) threaded together from at least early March until PM's official start date, whenever that might be. They're alleging Steve Burton's entire intro story is PM/EK. This is not uncommon for soaps; often incoming HWs will ghostwrite or tweak material before their first official airdate and you can tell onscreen. Our most notorious examples would be Bob Guza heavily tweaking/ghostwriting material credited to Richard Culliton's time in late '97 (like the Alexis Cassadine reveal) before his official first credited date, and the same IIRC when he returned in 2002. (I think the bulk of the Carly car accident/fake death storyline is his team's work, but I may be wrong.) This has happened at other soaps in other situations too.

It's still anyone's guess when Mulcahey's influence on any scripts or scenes may begin to show, or if it already has. I wouldn't be shocked if it happens very, very soon this month which is why I have been keeping a close eye on the show again already.

2 hours ago, ffwbe said:

I wish I could more optimistic about the writer change but I think what’s airing now is more Korte influenced than ever before so I only see things marginally improving once Patrick comes onboard. Previous episodes she was credited with writing were extremely heavy with Carly/Michael/Joss plus their SOs and all of them have gotten heavy focus this month. TBH, I only see things improving for characters Patrick takes a liking to that Korte is also indifferent towards. 

I highly doubt PM is taking a second position to Elizabeth Korte. But I also know people have been crediting Korte with everything they don't like on GH since before the Iraq War, and I've rarely heard any of that backed up by her own statements or clearly attributable facts. I'm not saying you're wrong; it is entirely possible Liz Korte is the biggest Carly fan on the face of the Earth and has written everything that's made the character worse or diminished, but there have been a lot of writers on staff between now and the year 2000. And I just tend to think the truth can be a lot more nuanced, especially with someone who IIRC was at the show before Carly existed. So I am going to give her a chance to show me who she is as a writer as opposed to being the third name on the writers' roll who I often feel the fans have simply projected a lot onto.

Edited by jsbt
  • Like 7
  • Useful 2
5 hours ago, jsbt said:

And I just tend to think the truth can be a lot more nuanced, especially with someone who IIRC was at the show before Carly existed. So I am going to give her a chance to show me who she is as a writer as opposed to being the third name on the writers' roll who I often feel the fans have simply projected a lot onto.

As a head writer, no less... It will be EK and PM directing the writers room and reporting into Frank.

I am eager to see what the team that is there does under new management. Writers always have editors. I know I do. ;-)

• Like 1
5 hours ago, ComeWhatMay said:

As a head writer, no less... It will be EK and PM directing the writers room and reporting into Frank.

That depends on a lot of things, and is not always the case. Just ask Bob Guza. I have a very hard time believing Frank chose Patrick Mulcahey.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, jsbt said:

I highly doubt PM is taking a second position to Elizabeth Korte. But I also know people have been crediting Korte with everything they don't like on GH since before the Iraq War, and I've rarely heard any of that backed up by her own statements or clearly attributable facts. I'm not saying you're wrong; it is entirely possible Liz Korte is the biggest Carly fan on the face of the Earth and has written everything that's made the character worse or diminished, but there have been a lot of writers on staff between now and the year 2000. And I just tend to think the truth can be a lot more nuanced, especially with someone who IIRC was at the show before Carly existed. So I am going to give her a chance to show me who she is as a writer as opposed to being the third name on the writers' roll who I often feel the fans have simply projected a lot onto.

If it is said everywhere that that woman is in love with and obsessed with Carly, then it must be true.

On 2/10/2024 at 6:39 PM, coffee drinker said:

I started watching GH in 1996 for Jax/Brenda.  Stayed for the early Jason/Elizabeth story.  Not sure I'd know how to view them now given all the history [...] IMO, the time to have really done Jason/Elizabeth was when SBu returned in 2002.  Instead we got the "flabby" four with Sonny, Carly and Corky.  Blech.  :(

I agree. I remember this promo for a Zander/Elizabeth/Jason triangle during the summer of 2002, when Burton had just come back.

I was still naïve enough to think that if they went to the trouble of making a commercial hyping something, and even ran the commercial in prime time, it was going to be a significant story. Ha. ALW's Courtney was the shiny new thing, and Guza and Pratt quickly wrecked Liz/Jason to facilitate Courtney/Jason (by some accounts because Brian Frons was all about Courtney/ALW).

I'll never forget the scene of Tamara Braun's Carly telling Liz that she had had her chance and blown it, and now Jason was over her. Anyone who remembers the Tamara Braun Carly can picture the expressions and hear the vocal tone. She couldn't have been more smug about it if Jason had started sleeping with her.   

The Liz fans of that era really felt like Charlie Brown going trick-or-treating and getting a bag of rocks. Not for the last time.  

• Love 3

That swerve was such a terrible decision. Courtney was completely unbearable when she was paired with Jason and they didn’t have anywhere to go with them storyline wise once Sonny got over them being together. She was siloed to that group and spent every episode with Carly talking about what Sonny/Jason were doing or talking about whatever mob enemy they had at the time. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, ffwbe said:

That swerve was such a terrible decision. Courtney was completely unbearable when she was paired with Jason and they didn’t have anywhere to go with them storyline wise once Sonny got over them being together. She was siloed to that group and spent every episode with Carly talking about what Sonny/Jason were doing or talking about whatever mob enemy they had at the time. 

It was only maybe a year but felt like 5.

The swerve to Jason and Courtney was a Frons directive; in addition I think Pratt in particular was enamored of hot action-oriented blondes (Courtney, Faith). The instant Frons' focus shifted to Kelly Monaco Guza exiled Courtney to C-tier plots with Jax and her adopted son(!!!!) Diego, followed by killing her as soon as possible.

I loved that Enrique Iglesias promo series in '02 (the OLTL one is one of the greats of all time), even if I questioned the wisdom of a Jason/Liz/Zander triangle. I loved Zander but he had been positioned as a Jason heir while Steve Burton was gone, taking a bigger role in Sonny's organization as another troubled but noble young man. With Jason back it was essentially Liz caught between two of the same archetype, which I rarely find interesting story. Plus Zander and Liz's romantic angle came so out of nowhere. That being said I would 100% bring Chad Brannon back today - he looks amazing, can still act and you could play at the very least a short-term story with Liz and her son reconnecting with Witness Protection Zander.

• Like 4
  • Useful 3

Of course Joss will win. Carly will plead with Sonny to bring Dex home and he’ll acquiesce. Then Dex and Joss will have a Spring wedding and live happily ever after 🙄

I’ve seen nothing indicating EH is out.

• Useful 1

Saw a photo of Antonio Sabato, Jr.  He and Steve Burton have both become so hard-bodied over the years that I think it would be hard to tell them apart on screen.   Also, the acting.  Best they not come back at the same time.

• LOL 2

Dex is on borrowed time. Any young dude this show brings on in that role who isn't Jason always is. I remember when people told me Brando was the new Jason.

• Like 7
19 minutes ago, Mirabelle said:

Maybe the show can pivot and make him a columnist for Crimson. Apparently, one does not need any experience to work there.

He can also be CEO at Aurora. One doesn't need an education to be CEO. He can talk, he knows how to add numbers using his fingers and toes. He should be good to compete for the position with Michael.

• Like 3
  • LOL 10
35 minutes ago, Mirabelle said:

He too can demand the numbers be changed because he doesn't like them!

The Elon Musk School of Business. Change the numbers if you don't like them!!!

• LOL 3
16 hours ago, jsbt said:

Dex is on borrowed time. Any young dude this show brings on in that role who isn't Jason always is. I remember when people told me Brando was the new Jason.

Undoubtedly true but so wild that this show thinks Jason should maintain that status as he nears 50.  I despise Jason and always have, so the only thing that could have made that character palatable to me was a return to Jason Q which Steve refused to do (and they let him make such demands). But even if I liked Jason or saw leading man potential in him, he’s not competing with 25 year olds. Or shouldn’t be anyway. 

• Like 13

I don’t think Dex is going anywhere until they decide to give Joss a new guy. The other Jason replacements were closer to his age and could be seen as competition, this guy is young enough to be his son. They don’t really use Dex like they would Jason anyway. He’s mainly a bodyguard and errand boy. The one time Sonny asked him to kill someone, he looked scared out of his mind and his jobs were more ones that would go to a random employee and not Sonny’s #2. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

Oh no!  Don't give the writers the idea that Dex is Jason's long lost son that he never knew about!

I'd really prefer he was AJ's long lost son, who hated Jason, Sonny, Carly, et al., but if wishes were horses and all that.

Besides, AJ was fat, so...

• Like 3

A.J. was already painted as a twelve-time loser for most of his adult life, he doesn't need the indignity of Dex added to his CV when Michael has already become an adult corncob.

• Like 7
  • LOL 4
(edited)

The best Michael ever was the one who hated Sonny for murdering AJ, but that lasted for a nanosecond. Now it's AJ who?

GH really is its own Bizarro World. Maybe the new HWs can rotate its axis at least slightly. Maybe being the operative word.

Edited by Fellaway
  • Like 4
  • Useful 2
On 2/16/2024 at 11:43 PM, jsbt said:

I thought Dex was supposed to be a replacement Milo, and Brando was more of a replacement for Morgan Corinthos. Milo was once a 20 something, sorta in JMB Lulu's storyline(s). He and Spinelli both had crushes on Lulu at the time that she got to be Carly's mini-me, pre-Joss.  Whereas Brando treated Sonny like he was his surrogate father and Sonny acted like Brando was the son he wished Morgan had been. There was a scene at Casa Corinthos soon after baby Liam died, focused on Brando and Sasha. I thought, "they are the new Morgan and Kiki to this family."

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

Lana Clay, mother of the boys who play Ace, was hospitalized with sepsis and dangerously low BP. Her husband tweeted that she’s awake but very sick. 😥

MEK is out as Martin. Not surprised since he’s had nothing to do for the better part of a year but I’ll miss he charm and good looks.

• Like 1
  • Sad 9
8 hours ago, Sake614 said:

MEK is out as Martin. 

Well, that sucks. Colonel Tad was never a fully fleshed out character but that wasn’t his fault. I don’t know why the show hires vets like MEK and RH if they’re not going to use them effectively. Just to cut them loose so they can afford to rehire a jackhole like SB and resuscitate his tired, played-out character. It’s all so pointless. 

• Like 16
  • Applause 3
(edited)
10 hours ago, Sake614 said:

MEK is out as Martin. Not surprised since he’s had nothing to do for the better part of a year but I’ll miss he charm and good looks.

SOD says it’s a temporary exit but it’s not known for how long. Of course, it depends on whether the new headwriting team wants to use him

https://www.soapoperanetwork.com/2024/02/michael-e-knight-temporarily-exits-general-hospital-martin-grey

Edited by DanaK
  • Thanks 2
  • Useful 2

3 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Well, that sucks. Colonel Tad was never a fully fleshed out character but that wasn’t his fault. I don’t know why the show hires vets like MEK and RH if they’re not going to use them effectively. Just to cut them loose so they can afford to rehire a jackhole like SB and resuscitate his tired, played-out character. It’s all so pointless. 

Hear! Hear!

I had hopes Martin could’ve helped Nina more in compensation for his treachery and even saw them as a potential couple (all from the MEK charm).

I would also love to have Taggart, Ms. Wu and Liesl back for which I would gladly give up Drew and Valentin.

But I rarely get nice things.

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
14 minutes ago, Desperado said:

I would also love to have Taggart, Ms. Wu and Liesl back for which I would gladly give up Drew and Valentin.

Ms. Wu should be back this week.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I doubt they needed to cut MEK to pay for Steve Burton; to my knowledge he (like much of the cast) is on recurring. 

I do think the cast needs major cuts and I won't weep over seeing less of Martin, but I do like the character in doses and hope he returns off and on.

I understand the clamoring I see for Taggert and the character’s erasure from Trina’s life is especially noticeable and unfortunate now, but… Something happened here and I think fans need to pick their battles wisely and with maximum information. I do wish Réal well. Article from SOD

10 minutes ago, jsbt said:

That's a pretty standard message for an actor trying to get back on the show.

Certainly, but we don’t, or at least I don’t, know why he isn’t there now. I tend to leave it alone when I don’t. 

• Love 1

I'm not unfamiliar with various claims about RA. If someone wants to talk about it they might as well, but I'm not going to assume he's not on the show because of alleged past struggles I don't know much about and can't verify are any kind of issue today. Assuming he's capable and not being carted off the set on a gurney, I'd like to see Taggert.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, jsbt said:

Assuming he's capable and not being carted off the set on a gurney, I'd like to see Taggert.

Same. He should be a part of this whole storyline. He's a police officer, yet he doesn't even get a mention while Dr. Robinson gets to blow off her responsibilities and take her wheelchair-bound club owner husband with her on the airplane to Paris? They are not qualified to help rescue Trina from a psychopath. Come on.

I understand there may be reasons why we don't see Taggert. But for Trina to not even mention "my dad" all this time? I would even accept a passing mention that "Dad has been really sick with a virus/the flu, but I just talked to him and he's starting to feel stronger. I haven't told him everything since before we left for Paris because I don't want him to be worried about me." 

I just hate that the Show execs think it's okay to write like the dads who raised Josslyn and Trina no longer exist.

• Like 8
  • Applause 5
  • Love 1