Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

I'm copacetic with the Jax situation because a) Ingo is radioactive and b) Jax frankly lasted on this show well over a decade past his expiration date. He took up space for years doing very little of note, and I don't see a point in him coming back now just to hold her hand. Let us miss him for long enough until such time as Ingo either eats humble pie or they find a viable Fake Jax to make the occasional reappearance - Jax doesn't need to be back on contract let alone regular recurring, he just needs to be mentioned on occasion or maybe appear again someday, and that's a big maybe for me. I was fond of him in the '90s and when he was a stalwart father to Carly's boys, but that was a long time ago and the character's done enough IMO.

Taggert is different. This is a fan favorite who's been barely utilized, who outshone the somnambulant Donnell Turner last year and who can do more. He's far from spent. JMO, anyway.

• Like 8
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, jsbt said:

I'm not unfamiliar with various claims about RA. If someone wants to talk about it they might as well, but I'm not going to assume he's not on the show because of alleged past struggles I don't know much about and can't verify are any kind of issue today. Assuming he's capable and not being carted off the set on a gurney, I'd like to see Taggert.

I am unfamiliar.  I was really annoyed last month when one of the soap blogger alluded to such on Twitter, without ONE hint of what they may be.  Which I think is dirty pool.  Because the mind, it does wander.  I am not asking, because unless it is something to do with bothering women, I honestly don't care.  Just get him back.  

• Like 6
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, CeChase said:

I am not asking, because unless it is something to do with bothering women, I honestly don't care.

I never heard of anything like that. Regardless, nothing RA has said in this statement is any different or out of bounds from the standard statement actors looking to get back on the show say every week. So I see no reason not to use him.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, jsbt said:

Taggert is different. This is a fan favorite who's been barely utilized, who outshone the somnambulant Donnell Turner last year and who can do more. He's far from spent. JMO, anyway.

I think the show just doesn't care about Taggert. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 5
3 minutes ago, CeChase said:

I am unfamiliar.  I was really annoyed last month when one of the soap blogger alluded to such on Twitter, without ONE hint of what they may be.  Which I think is dirty pool.  Because the mind, it does wander.  I am not asking, because unless it is something to do with bothering women, I honestly don't care.  Just get him back.  

It is. I work in communications and I am a big believer in play it straight and be fair to people. The blogger put it out there that RA has issues and allowed minds to wander about what those might be and whatever they were, they may be well behind him and not our business either unless they threaten the welfare of others. It is better for story if Taggert's on the canvas so I hope RA can be sometime soon, but I also know that sometimes doors are just closed to people regardless and the audience is out of luck.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
(edited)

I like RA’s work but Taggert can be recasted just like Nik and many others.

Not having the character on canvas for Trina is a deliberate choice not at all related to an actor’s possible issues.

Edited by Desperado
  • Like 12
1 hour ago, Bringonthedrama said:

I understand there may be reasons why we don't see Taggert. But for Trina to not even mention "my dad" all this time? I would even accept a passing mention that "Dad has been really sick with a virus/the flu, but I just talked to him and he's starting to feel stronger. I haven't told him everything since before we left for Paris because I don't want him to be worried about me." 

I just hate that the Show execs think it's okay to write like the dads who raised Josslyn and Trina no longer exist.

THIS! No matter what's going on behind the scenes, it doesn't make any sense, not to mention the character. Even if it's to write him off, they should deal with it instead of pretending the character doesn't exist and expecting the audience to accept it.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3

It could very well have nothing to do with the actor specifically but the fact that the show has planned to make Curtis Trina’s father since 2020 and the reception to their scenes have been mostly lukewarm while Trina/Taggart scenes have gotten a lot of positive feedback, online anyway. Sometimes the show sidelines actors when whatever agenda they are selling isn’t hitting and another character is more popular than who they wanted to promote. 

• Like 5
(edited)

I keep hoping Ms. Wu monkeyed with those test results, against Curtis's wishes. Why she'd do it, I don't know. I just want Taggert to be Trina's bio dad, but, as with much on this show, I'm guessing I'm so out of luck.

Edited by Fellaway
  • Like 4
  • Sad 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, jsbt said:

I suspect a lot of us have been fans of RA’s Taggart for decades. There’s so much history there and viewer affection. I want him on my screen (and frankly never heard a bad word about the actor). 

But the characters absence is really insulting. Trina would want the man who raised and loved her to be there to comfort her now. I hated the Curtis being her bio dad storyline to begin with but for them to have her now act like Taggart doesn’t exist is terrible. 

Edited by racked
  • Like 2
  • Applause 13
(edited)

What's still so crazy to me is how they basically recycled the exact same story for Curtis and Trina that they strung out for as many years on the backburner with Shawn and T.J. Neither Curtis nor Shawn was a big priority for the show but because GH is only set up to truly support one Black contract male in their very broad age range at a time, Shawn had to give way to Curtis and Taggert can have no consistent role either, because that would mean more time for Black males. (T.J. has not been a real factor in over ten years.) This also goes to why Jordan has been recast over and over IMO; the past teams really didn't want to have to invest in new Black female characters when C-player Jordan was 'enough.'

Edited by jsbt
  • Like 8
  • Useful 1
(edited)

May be coincidence, but another legendary GH scribe, Michele Val Jean, is finally out at B&B after many years. She and Mulcahey were thick as thieves both there and at GH in the glory days. (Coincidentally per the above, MVJ was/is also one of the key Black writers in the industry.) 

Edited by jsbt
  • Like 2
  • Useful 5
16 minutes ago, Desperado said:

@jsbt - you are a fount of interesting information!

It doesn't come from me, it's just public knowledge on social media as of today.

B&B is a terrible show, but it's also basically a retirement plan and guaranteed income for many very talented daytime writers who came to rest there doing day to day scripts in recent years. It's run by Brad Bell's whims, the writers are just clocking time. Which is why it shocked me that Mulcahey bothered returning to GH given the money he almost certainly got from his long stint at B&B, and why it shocks me MVJ has left that security now. If she's not retiring (as PM had done previously to his GH move, I believe) then it begs the question of what's up.

• Useful 3
3 hours ago, jsbt said:

May be coincidence, but another legendary GH scribe, Michele Val Jean, is finally out at B&B after many years. She and Mulcahey were thick as thieves both there and at GH in the glory days. (Coincidentally per the above, MVJ was/is also one of the key Black writers in the industry.) 

OMG she is??  I personally feel that Val Jean and Mulcahey are the closest to a dream team we could get.  I don't want to get too excited.    But...that is very interesting timing

• Like 2
Just now, CeChase said:

OMG she is??  I personally feel that Val Jean and Mulcahey are the closest to a dream team we could get.  I don't want to get too excited.    But...that is very interesting timing

IIRC they are very good friends going back to the GH glory days. I believe Mulcahey helped get MVJ her position at B&B. He left several years before her, now he's back at GH and here we have this. I may be extrapolating too much, but it's real sus.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
20 hours ago, CeChase said:
21 hours ago, jsbt said:

I'm not unfamiliar with various claims about RA. If someone wants to talk about it they might as well, but I'm not going to assume he's not on the show because of alleged past struggles I don't know much about and can't verify are any kind of issue today. Assuming he's capable and not being carted off the set on a gurney, I'd like to see Taggert.

The only thing I ever heard about Real was that he had cancer so he wasn’t physically able to be on as much.  Was there more to it?  

I’ve always liked Real and I’ve always liked Taggert.  I hated that he softened his stance on Sonny but that’s par for the course I guess.  I do wish Real could come back on a more full time basis if he wanted to, but if not….anyone can be recast.  No one is irreplaceable, even the ones we think aren’t.

• Like 1
(edited)
On 2/20/2024 at 9:06 PM, racked said:

Trina would want the man who raised and loved her to be there to comfort her now. I hated the Curtis being her bio dad storyline to begin with but for them to have her now act like Taggart doesn’t exist is terrible. 

This is what irritates me the most. When Trina's (allegedly) true parentage was revealed, she had a heartfelt conversation with Taggert saying he would always be her dad.  Then, within weeks,  she was calling Curtis "Dad" and there was no mention of Taggert at all. I could live with the transition better if she used another name for Curtis. IMO, the current situation is a bit of an insult to all of us with memories. 

Edited by rur
  • Like 11
(edited)
3 hours ago, jsbt said:

It doesn't come from me, it's just public knowledge on social media as of today.

B&B is a terrible show, but it's also basically a retirement plan and guaranteed income for many very talented daytime writers who came to rest there doing day to day scripts in recent years. It's run by Brad Bell's whims, the writers are just clocking time. Which is why it shocked me that Mulcahey bothered returning to GH given the money he almost certainly got from his long stint at B&B, and why it shocks me MVJ has left that security now. If she's not retiring (as PM had done previously to his GH move, I believe) then it begs the question of what's up.

I’ll take your word on Bold paying its writers well since I have no idea what writers make but I’ve always heard that Brad Bell has his hands in everything so his writers get very little control over SLs. I can imagine that at best it’s unfulfilling and at worst, incredibly frustrating, especially for 2 writers who’ve been in the game for decades and have penned some really popular storylines. 

Edited by ffwbe
  • Like 2
1 minute ago, ffwbe said:

I’ll take your word on Bold paying its writers well since I have no idea what writers make but I’ve always heard that Brad Bell has his hands in everything so his writers get very little control over SLs. I can imagine that at best it’s in fulfilling and at worst, incredibly frustrating, especially for 2 writers who’ve been in the game for decades and have penned some really popular storylines. 

As I've said, I think B&B is just a comfy retirement pad for a lot of writers (soap writing money is lucrative period from what I've heard; there is a reason the Labines, the Cullitons, the Hursleys etc. all got their kids into the business). They cruise and get paid, it's not a bad gig. But Mulcahey did write good material there despite the bad stories, from what I've seen.

• Useful 2

I don’t think MVJ is retiring. I follow her on SM and during the strikes, she seemed somewhat worried about her finances and eager to return to work. She had to either have been ousted or has another gig lined up. I could definitely see her returning to GH but if she does, I think that highly suggests someone above Frank is tinkering with things. I recall most of the previous writing regime being replaced by former OLTL writers once Frank took over so I’d have a hard time believing that 2 writers who he’s never worked with suddenly joining the show is a coincidence. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
(edited)
16 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

I don’t think MVJ is retiring. I follow her on SM and during the strikes, she seemed somewhat worried about her finances and eager to return to work. She had to either have been ousted or has another gig lined up. I could definitely see her returning to GH but if she does, I think that highly suggests someone above Frank is tinkering with things. I recall most of the previous writing regime being replaced by former OLTL writers once Frank took over so I’d have a hard time believing that 2 writers who he’s never worked with suddenly joining the show is a coincidence. 

I agree.  We'll see, but they aren't going to have 3 head writers, so I do wonder what this would mean for Korte.  I don't worry about what it means for her to be clear, but I'm wondering.  It's possible she was always interim and knew it.  

Edited by CeChase
  • Useful 1
(edited)

My understanding is that all 3 go way back together, and Korte has been hailed as a GH historian for years - I think she may be the one who was there the earliest, but don't quote me on that. But I do suspect (and have heard, though it's anecdotal and could be incorrect) of the original duo announced at least that Mulcahey is the primary HW. I can't see MVJ being officially announced as a third, but it's not unheard of - IIRC Mulcahey was part of a 3-6(!) person HW team at GL at one point, and they are all well known to longtime fans.

Edited by jsbt
  • Useful 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, ffwbe said:

I recall most of the previous writing regime being replaced by former OLTL writers once Frank took over

Almost everyone other than Korte and maybe Kate Hall (who only came in in 2011 fresh off AMC), maybe one or two others, I can't recall.

IIRC MVJ left weeks before Ron and Frank took over, presumably once they were already in the building. One of the last old guard scriptwriters standing from the Labine/Guza years, maybe the last other than EK but again I can't be sure. While Korte, Mulcahey and MVJ all date back to (collectively) either Guza I or Labine.

Edited by jsbt
  • Useful 1

Don’t know if this has been posted yet, but SOD interviewed Adam Harrington (John/Jagger).  He sounds like a really cool guy, but I’m eternally grateful he wasn’t hired for the first role he auditioned for. Whatever it was, he said it was a straight chemistry read with LW/Carly. Teschler called him and said it wasn’t going to work, but to hang tight because they had another role for him. 

I think my favorite part is that his father and DZ’s father have a mutual friend, so when he got to the studio, DZ yelled out, ‘hey, so my dad called…’ lol'

https://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/exclusive-adam-harrington-john-opens-up-about-his-new-general-hospital-gig/

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

I bet he originally auditioned for Pikeman though it would be interesting if they did a chem test for a short term role like that considering they don’t bother doing that a lot of the time for long term characters who have a planned pairing and other connections to the canvas. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I would bet money Val Jean is on her way back here. And that would be awesome news. Doubt it will be in the HW role. Note sure she has ever had that title though I would welcome it. 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Grinaldi said:

I would bet money Val Jean is on her way back here. And that would be awesome news. Doubt it will be in the HW role. Note sure she has ever had that title though I would welcome it. 

She did, briefly, after Guza was released in 2000 and before JFP installed McTavish.

I had forgotten that. Would that she had stayed on...McTavish was such a terrible fit for this show. 

Starting to hope we're truly getting the gang back together for a return to 90s quality. 

• Like 1
(edited)
17 minutes ago, Grinaldi said:

I had forgotten that. Would that she had stayed on...McTavish was such a terrible fit for this show. 

MVJ did return with Guza in 2002, and continued with the show as a staff/breakdown writer until 2012. Many of the Labine/Guza writing corps (like the great Karen Harris) hung in for many years until around the late 2000s, early 2010s or until Frank and Ron arrived.

Edited by jsbt
  • Like 1

I meant specifically stayed on as HW. She was of GH whereas McTavish was a transplant the show rejected. For all his faults and weird fetishes, Guza understood the show better and seemed to respect the team Labine had assembled.

I dunno. Someone needs to show me where in the Christian religion it says you can’t get vaccinated against a potentially deadly virus. 

And that’s my one and only foray into this area.

• Like 18

Good for WL! Considering this gig and that Sydney Mikayla seems to be steadily working, I took their interviews about leaving the show to focus on school to not mean they were actually going to stop working completely. More like going to college full time meant they had less free time than before and had to choose between continuing on GH and pursuing other roles or a singing career and both chose to focus on the later, which at their ages is smart.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

I really don't want a recast Cam but if they do I hope they find someone who can convey Cam's innate grace. It's odd since he's not related to her biologically, but Cam has always seemed to me the grandchild who is most like Laura. 

• Like 12
  • Applause 2

The actor, 53, was last seen on General Hospital in November 2021 when a tunnel collapsed on his character as he was trying to save his brother Drew (Cameron Mathison) — a disastrous event that left viewers presuming Jason was dead.

LOL. Nobody presumed Jason was dead. 

• Like 6
  • LOL 7
2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Even if SBu never returned, I wouldn't presume Jason was dead.

Same. I mean, the show barely pretends. He didn’t have an onscreen funeral either time he “died” and you’d think they’d kill for a chance for their leads to wail about him 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
44 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

Tunnel needs to be fired for incompetence.

It's no Chandelier, that's for sure. That's what happens when they go for the cheap talent.

• LOL 13
11 hours ago, Fellaway said:

That's what happens when they go for the cheap talent.

They couldn’t even afford a crane? 

• Applause 1
  • LOL 6