Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

On 3/26/2024 at 9:33 AM, YaddaYadda said:
On 3/26/2024 at 8:55 AM, dubbel zout said:

I had to laugh in the FH interview that she says she tells SBu she always has to bring her A game in their scenes. I can't see what he gives anyone.

That's probably why. She has to work harder to squeeze juice out of a rock. He sucks.

My thought exactly.  I think all his scene partners have to work extra hard because he gives nothing.  Even the actor who plays Danny was stepping up his game.  He’s a kid and not the strongest of the kid set, but he was still carrying those scenes with Burton.  Frankly I’d be very annoyed at that.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Same, especially because he doesn't look that much more mature from when he was on GH regularly. That's not his fault, of course, but NAC was obviously cast (to me, at any rate) because he did look more like an older teenager, early 20-year-old.

Unfortunately, older fans keep saying "he recently uploaded a new picture, you should see him now!".  Like, there's no nice way to put it.  Yeah, he grew.  And that's it. He is not a fitting replacement for NAC or anywhere near close to it.  So then people respond that way, and the actor saw it and got his feelings hurt.  I felt bad about that.  I mean, I didn't say anything because i am not about to insult someone I consider a child on Twitter.  But I was thinking it.  One thing about this place I don't think any of the actors read here.  I think they do read soap central.  And obviously the do read Twitter.  So I feel like i can be more open.

If you're not on Twitter, Charles Mesure and Adam Harrington were a delight this past week. Bantering with each about their characters.  Now, that's how you do Twitter PR for your show.  All of the other Gh actors should be taking notes.  LW and Eden should be taking notes.  They are so defensive.  If you can't deal with it, don't be on twitter, like Kemo and Becky who don't tweet, and I don't blame them.  But if you are doing publicity for your show, you need to can that BS.  Ignore it and just be positive.  That's what PR is, it's not about your ego.  Or trying to get a write up in Soap Central "so and so SNAPS back at fan and puts them in their place" which happened twice last year with the aforementioned actresses. 

Now, I don't mean NB.  He's 19 and to me that's still a kid I don't care what anyone says.  But the adults need to be taking notes.  Those guys are bringing it for their show.  

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
38 minutes ago, CeChase said:

If you're not on Twitter, Charles Mesure and Adam Harrington were a delight this past week. Bantering with each about their characters.  Now, that's how you do Twitter PR for your show. 

Thanks for pointing me in this direction- they are fun. CM even RTd MB saying he hasn’t had this much fun acting “in a long time”.

I hope that both the John and the Brennan characters can stick around.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2

How to be an alum…

Sometimes we want to be asked a question so we can say no. I know I have in the past. I got that sense from the Nicolas Bechtel posts. Glad to see him headed off to college after his own time with Murphy. 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

Bechtel and/or his stage mom got up to a lot of nonsense on social media both during his tenure and when he was let go/replaced, IIRC. That doesn't excuse his recent bullying by fans which I find totally unacceptable, though.

Edited by jsbt
  • Like 5
15 hours ago, CeChase said:

Unfortunately, older fans keep saying "he recently uploaded a new picture, you should see him now!".  Like, there's no nice way to put it.  Yeah, he grew.  And that's it. He is not a fitting replacement for NAC or anywhere near close to it.  So then people respond that way, and the actor saw it and got his feelings hurt.  I felt bad about that.  I mean, I didn't say anything because i am not about to insult someone I consider a child on Twitter.  But I was thinking it.

NB is a 19-year old kid who looks like a 16-year old. That's fine, and it's actually a good thing in this industry. But he simply does not fit the role of Spencer as he's been written since NAC took over. If you're going to be an actor, you have to be honest with yourself about what types of roles you're suited for as you currently look. No amount of shirtless pictures from NB is going to change that he still looks like he should be hanging out with Rocco and Danny. Hell, even the hairstyle fits.

I got that sense from the Nicolas Bechtel posts. Glad to see him headed off to college after his own time with Murphy. 

I really do wish NB the best of luck in college, and I hope he has a blast.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

Yeah, I haven't forgotten.  I've become a very cold person in regards to certain matters.  While I said nothing on Twitter and would not, because no matter how cold I am I would never allow myself to be the kind of person who says mean things about a teenager, I really don't care about any of it.  

IMHO the problem is the grannies who think of him as that sweet child, and who now see him having gotten taller and much like they would say to their grandsons "my you have gotten so handsome, young man!".  And that's what starts all of this.  Because people respond, and they should not.   Just let it fly.  He is not being asked back to the role, and if you weren't a delusional granny you would know that.  So let if fly. 

Yeah. It's not even that NB is a bad-looking guy. He's cute in that cute best friend sidekick kind of way. He would have made a really good Gordo in Lizzie Mcguire if it was being written now. That's not how they're writing Spencer, though. 

• Like 1

I can see why someone wrote in his Insta "I'm beginning to wonder if you have a face." He appears to be a good-lucking young man -- why is he never seen full-on? Or is that just the style now?

Wasn't quick enough with the remote and caught part of an ad for "What Would You Do?" during Friday's episode.  The situation:  "What would you do if you overheard a music manager harassing their client?"  A situation directly from GH, or vice versa.

• Useful 1

They're gossiping on Twitter that three cast members will be gone by summer, possibly including Dr. Michael Eastman.  Just when I'm starting to root for him and Elizabeth! 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Auntie Velvet said:

They're gossiping on Twitter that three cast members will be gone by summer, possibly including Dr. Michael Eastman.  Just when I'm starting to root for him and Elizabeth! 

I have been wondering if one of them is Cynthia.  If it is, maybe that will free me, because I will be so mad I won't watch.  

I honestly thought ME was leaving when I heard that throwaway line "I miss doctors without borders".   So I kind of believe the rumors. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 5
2 hours ago, driver18 said:

It's been denied by Sarapa and others who are more in the know, thank goodness!!!! I love ME.

He actually said, "I'm going to wait on celebrating the Michael Easton rumor because he isn't one of the names I heard, but I'm hoping it is true. #GH"

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)

A lot of those soap dudes on Twitter are frankly only half-plugged into anything on a good day. I wouldn't swear by any of them for anything. I can say I'll believe ME is finally out of a job when I see it and he's gone another 6-9 months.

Meanwhile: 

Edited by jsbt
link re-upped
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
9 minutes ago, jsbt said:

A lot of those soap dudes on Twitter are frankly only half-plugged into anything on a good day. I wouldn't swear by any of them for anything. I can say I'll believe ME is finally out of a job when I see it and he's gone another 6-9 months.

Meanwhile: 

I get a "not found" in the link you posted.

1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I get a "not found" in the link you posted.

They appear to have pulled the tweet. The article on today's Drew/Nina hate sex (and interview with Cameron) is still here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1

Exactly, Sarapa said Easton isn't one of the names he heard was rumored to be gone unlike what was being bandied about. If ME goes, so do I. The show is better written now, but Carly is still the greatest, Nina is the worst, Chase and Brooklyn are the most featured couple, and Elizabeth and Finn are still barely on. They have been on once since PM/EK officially started, twice since it was unofficial. I've been a cheerleader for the new regime, but JJ brought me back, and ME kept me. Without one of those two, I'm outta here.

• Like 3

I popped on X to see what awaited me when I get home and... Drew and Nina. Good grief. CM seemed to jump the gun posting about it. It did get people going though, that's for sure. ;-)

I am wary of podcaster and "connected fan" chatter. I don't doubt they know people who for their own reasons share things they feel they can safely share without repercussions, but when GH wants to hide things, they do, and some of what is shared, especially by fans around exits, isn't helpful to anyone. 

• Like 1

It occurred to me that, sadly, if a few people are at risk, things aren't looking so good for Ava. She's doing one of those 180s (actually a 360) that formerly semi-redeemed characters sometimes do, just before they get off'd. 

• Like 5
11 minutes ago, Grinaldi said:

I have the same concern regarding Ava. If she's in on the meds tampering not sure whe comes back from that 

Especially since she did that with Morgan.

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, Grinaldi said:

I have the same concern regarding Ava. If she's in on the meds tampering not sure whe comes back from that 

Well she tampered with Morgan’s meds and she was able to come back from that.

• Like 4

Yeah it's exactly because she did it to Morgan that I dont think Sonny would let her off again. And she went through a bunch of atonement with the fire and the scars to get back on stable footing.

I do not want to lose her. But they're spending a lot of time chem testing various folks in that age cohort but all she is doing is lurking. Getting a bad feeling.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3
53 minutes ago, Auntie Velvet said:

It occurred to me that, sadly, if a few people are at risk, things aren't looking so good for Ava. She's doing one of those 180s (actually a 360) that formerly semi-redeemed characters sometimes do, just before they get off'd. 

Yeah, I’ve suspected that for awhile and it’s not just because she’s being shady. They have her so isolated right now. She spends almost all her scenes with Sonny  and they can’t seem to think of much else to do with her other than open the door for his guests, fix him drinks and lurk in the background. 

• Like 5

I really don't care that much who goes atm. You could burn half the cast and I'd probably still not be satisfied with cutting the bloat. CM/CW are hot together, but do I think Drew and Nina at present have any longterm longevity? No. But MW would not be the top of my list. I've said many a time I think Ava needs to be a villain and stay a villain, so the current position they have her in works for me. I don't think it needs to be a signpost for her exit though; I think she can last at least a couple more years in that role, and frankly Ava's already had a long run. I do want her around, and I think she can wriggle her way out of trouble and stay active on canvas. She has before.

• Like 1
(edited)

I remain hopeful. And maybe the reason she's not getting chem tested all across town like Drew, Nina and Jordan is that they have a solid plan for her already. 

Edited by Grinaldi
  • Like 3
(edited)
22 minutes ago, ComeWhatMay said:

Shannon Peace, formerly of the GH writing team… 

IMG_2225.thumb.jpeg.bc4f708194378c7506e809bc814e3467.jpeg

OH BOY

13 minutes ago, ComeWhatMay said:

More from Peace… IMG_2226.thumb.jpeg.c11ecdf33f3240b44782b4bd78db2bcf.jpeg

Look, I totally agree with her, but it's a direct shot at Laura freaking Wright, first of all.  And Mo and very soon SBU as well.  I am NOT criticizing her for saying what she said, but this was a "i said what i said" moment. 

Edited by CeChase
  • Like 4

I’m just being honest. I don’t think the show has ever been “balanced”. At least not during the entire time I’ve been watching. Seems like every HW and EP has their set of faves who get focus and POV while the rest mainly get shafted or are brought on to support other people’s SLs. I’m not entirely sure if there is a way to give equal focus to 35-40 characters. Now there are times when it’s kind of obvious that an actor’s contractual guarantees don’t line up with the writer’s interest in the character and we’ll see someone on all the time but is constantly inserted into other people’s SLs, which really tend to annoy fans of characters who have to deal with their own faves being cycled. 

• Like 1

Yeah but I call for that all of the time.  I have called for that for years now.  I got this.  This unwatchable week.   So thanks?  But I would never tag or attack any of the actors, that's low class and not my style. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5

There’s been multiple actors who have called out the lack of balance on the show as well and how the show rarely utilizes all of its cast members properly because they center everything around a chosen few. Usually it only comes up once the actor is off the show but people are very, very aware of it. It’s not all in our heads 

• Like 7
(edited)

I read Shannon's posts as acknowledging and confirming the problem exists from her own first-person experience working on the show, while placing the blame for the problem elsewhere/not on actors. 

Edited by ComeWhatMay
Clarity
  • Like 3
5 hours ago, ffwbe said:

I’m just being honest. I don’t think the show has ever been “balanced”.[...]I’m not entirely sure if there is a way to give equal focus to 35-40 characters.

I agree, but I also don't think anyone's asking for that? Equal focus for every character, I mean. There has always been tiers - major characters, secondary characters, minor or tertiary characters that only show up once in while, etc. The problem is when only a handful of characters dominate the show - and not just in terms of screentime, though that's a big one, but in terms of stories that the writers put the most care and effort into - and everyone else is treated like unimportant filler.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

My first memory of watching GH was back in 1977, I was six.  I can’t speak for that time period but by the late 80’s early 90’s I was used to characters rotating from front line stories to back burn stories.  I even remember the back burn stories would come on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  And then right when the front burn story was wrapping up, the back burn story was just starting to take off.

For instance for a long time my faves were Sean, Tiffany, Felicia, Mac, Lucy, and Doc.  While their stories were in the front, Sonny, Brenda, Lois, Ned, L&B were more back burn.  I wasn’t watching for them but by the time their story became front and center I was interested because of all the building and layering their stories did on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Hope this is making sense.

Then you always had the characters who never had a front line story like Amy, Brian, Claudia, Dan, Gail, Lee, Ruby, Ramsey (until they made him Mr. Big), Epiphany, Diane, these characters seem to be meant only to be glorified extras who support other character’s stories.  Every once in a while they get a little story but it’s never a front burner.

i think more balance would be to rotate stories the way I remember.  I think that way the characters get to build chemistry, layers are peeled back, connections are richer and deeper.

But maybe that way of soap story telling is outdated and too slow 🤷🏾‍♀️

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

Also speaking of actors getting cut, where has Cyrus been?!  I like him.

What I think they should do is wrap up the stories for Sonny, Carly, Felicia, Mac, Jordan, Laura, Kevin, Anna, Lucy, Alexis I mean we’ve seen them go through everything a human could possibly go through.  Keep them as sounding boards and drag them out on holidays.

Sam, Dante, Liz, Maxie, Jason, Nina, Drew, hell even Spinelli can be in stories as they relate to their kids.  Again these characters have been through just about everything now time for the kids (teens up to the 40’s) to have a shot.

Much as I can’t stand Michael and Willow, bring on others in their age group for them to interact with.  For that reason keep Christina, Molly, and TJ.  Maybe keep Sasha and the cowboy (can’t think of his name).

Bring on people in Trina and Joss’ age group.

Bring back Valentin’s daughter.  I liked her and soaps can always use a sociopath.

Someone up thread said we need new blood and I completely agree!!!  Just because Sonny, Laura, Anna, Carly, etc were exciting 30+ years ago and just because we fell in love with their characters and still love them, doesn’t mean the time doesn’t come at some point to relegate them to back burn.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
8 hours ago, Jenxee said:

What I think they should do is wrap up the stories for Sonny, Carly, Felicia, Mac, Jordan, Laura, Kevin, Anna, Lucy, Alexis I mean we’ve seen them go through everything a human could possibly go through.  Keep them as sounding boards and drag them out on holidays.

Sam, Dante, Liz, Maxie, Jason, Nina, Drew, hell even Spinelli can be in stories as they relate to their kids.  Again these characters have been through just about everything now time for the kids (teens up to the 40’s) to have a shot.

Much as I can’t stand Michael and Willow, bring on others in their age group for them to interact with.  For that reason keep Christina, Molly, and TJ.  Maybe keep Sasha and the cowboy (can’t think of his name).

Bring on people in Trina and Joss’ age group.

Bring back Valentin’s daughter.  I liked her and soaps can always use a sociopath.

Someone up thread said we need new blood and I completely agree!!!  Just because Sonny, Laura, Anna, Carly, etc were exciting 30+ years ago and just because we fell in love with their characters and still love them, doesn’t mean the time doesn’t come at some point to relegate them to back burn.

In general, I think you're on the right track, even if it would mean I would no longer watch (because the 'sounding board' characters are the only ones I'm interested in).  I do think that the Tracy/Gregory relationship demonstrates that there are still good stories to be told for the older characters.  Same with the elder Quartermaines of the Edward/Lila era.   So maybe it's more the quality of storytelling than it is the age and prior histories of the characters.

Still, the show does need to plan for the future, which means they need to sort out their under-40 generations.  Who will be the strong moral compass?  Who the scoundrel? Who the solid relationship, who the star-crossed lovers?  With the exception of Trina, who has had a fair amount of development, I'm not sure I've seen enough consistency in character writing to answer any of those questions.  Nothing needs to be locked in at this point, but there should be some movement in a direction.  

• Like 6

I sure wish the writers would listen to Jenxee and JMO.  Those are all great ideas.  I remember how much fun the stories with Felicia, Mac, Lucy and Doc were.  The show doesn't have any silliness anymore.  I can't remember the last time in recent years other than the Nurses Ball with Lucy's shenanigans (which wore thin after a while) that I have laughed out loud.  A line here and there is amusing but the stories are all gloom and doom.  Lighten up, show!

• Like 6
10 hours ago, Auntie Velvet said:

I have a memory that Canada being a day ahead of the U.S. was a feature, not a bug. Does anyone else remember this?

I think it was due to the preemptions? But even if that's the case, why didn't Canada show the earlier episode first? The U.S. hasn't been playing catch up and episodes have been running concurrently until Tuesday.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Auntie Velvet said:

I have a memory that Canada being a day ahead of the U.S. was a feature, not a bug. Does anyone else remember this?

Yup, it used to be that regularly. And there were a few sites that recapped it for us in the US. It was nice getting that daily sneak peek.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I think it was due to the preemptions? But even if that's the case, why didn't Canada show the earlier episode first? The U.S. hasn't been playing catch up and episodes have been running concurrently until Tuesday.

Apparently it was an error on Canada's part

• Like 1