(edited)
23 hours ago, DanaK said:

Steve Burton is now on contract and has signed a two year deal

spacer.png

Edited by ciarra
  • Like 1
  • LOL 4
On 3/13/2024 at 11:33 PM, ciarra said:

Last I read, she was living with her dad. 

She had a good voice, I don't know why she didn't act/sing anymore.

According to the Daily Mail, (not a source I like to use) she was struggling with addiction and mental health issues. 😢

• Sad 3
1 hour ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

I feel like GH is really taking it on the chin these days with their alumna dying. 

They really are. 

If the DM can be believed here as they alternate between an utterly tasteless rag and a publicist’s cutting garden, Robyn was a paranoid schizophrenic. Underlying severe mental health problems and addiction are a toxic combo. They would be for many regardless of occupation. 

Hollywood is a rough place so I also believe she was abused there as those quoted say. Lots of bad people in powerful positions and an acting career necessitates the ability to handle chasing the next check/gig unless you are a nepo baby, Galitzine, or Emma Stone level actor (who seems like an actually cool person), abundant rejection, and breathtaking cruelty for the sake of it. 

RIP, Robyn. 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, ComeWhatMay said:

Lots of bad people in powerful positions and an acting career necessitates the ability to handle chasing the next check/gig unless you are a nepo baby, Galitzine, or Emma Stone level actor (who seems like an actually cool person), abundant rejection, and breathtaking cruelty for the sake of it. 

Nepo baby Gwyneth Paltrow was harassed by Harvey Weinstein early in her career, so no one is out of reach. She was dating Brad Pitt at the time, and he told Weinstein to cool it, as he (Pitt) had more power than she did at the time.

Bob Evans told Sharon Stone to sleep with Billy Baldwin during the filming of "Sliver" in order to make their onscreen love scenes "more believable," and Stone was coming off "Basic Instinct." No one is immune from slimeballs acting like assholes.

I'd like to think things are better today after #MeToo, but they're probably just less overt, alas.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Like 8
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, AheadofStraight said:

According to the Daily Mail, (not a source I like to use) she was struggling with addiction and mental health issues.

From what I read, "She was a nice lady [living on the street].  We gave her food and water sometimes." 😢

• Sad 2
30 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I'd like to think things are better today after #MeToo, but they're probably just less overt, alas.

NDAs 

And, yes no one is immune from being harassed. I meant in terms of the need to book gigs being less urgent for nepo babies and Russian royalty. 

And some of these people are truly dangerous re: why people stay quiet. 

• Useful 1

No one is safe. Tony Goldwyn of the Goldwyn lineage of the G in MGM came out a few years ago and spoke out about how he was sexually harassed

Hollywood is a cesspool of inhumanity.

• Like 10
14 minutes ago, driver18 said:

Unfortunately, sexual harassment exists everywhere in all forms. (If I had a nickle for every time I got harassed at my old job in the pre-me-too era, I'd be a very wealthy woman.  Hedge Funds/Stock Brokers can be pretty awful.  A lot of money = ridiculous delusions of over-entitlement).  And don't even get me started on the incident with Snoop Dogg and his crew.

Sadly, I am sure many of us here have had to deal with sexual harassment.

• Like 7
  • Hugs 1
On 3/17/2024 at 5:08 PM, driver18 said:

No one is safe. Tony Goldwyn of the Goldwyn lineage of the G in MGM came out a few years ago and spoke out about how he was sexually harassed

Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

- John Acton

• Like 3

This was an interesting interview. Eden pretty much states that Joss/Dex’s appeal to their fans is mostly that they are constantly having sex onscreen and was surprised that Joss got so much blowback for cheating on Cameron because most people found the pairing boring to begin with. 

• Useful 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, ffwbe said:

This was an interesting interview. Eden pretty much states that Joss/Dex’s appeal to their fans is mostly that they are constantly having sex onscreen and was surprised that Joss got so much blowback for cheating on Cameron because most people found the pairing boring to begin with. 

It was interesting.  And it looks like this is a much more permanent split than I had thought.  I thought they'd be back together by end of the month.  Now I am wondering if they are going to kill off Dex.  Unless he's Jagger's son. And that's never been written so even if it was a plan they could change course.  She is calling for new blood in the youth scene.  Hmmm

Edited by CeChase
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

I didn’t think their split was a long term one either because there’s no one to pair her with. The next youngest guys on the show are TJ and Chase, who are not only already paired off but they are drama free, good guys and I don’t see either of them dating someone still in college. If they end up recasting Spencer, I could see them throwing him to Joss but if she thought her other pairings weren’t liked, the feedback to those 2 would probably keep her off SM permanently. 

• Like 7
6 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

I didn’t think their split was a long term one either because there’s no one to pair her with. The next youngest guys on the show are TJ and Chase, who are not only already paired off but they are drama free, good guys and I don’t see either of them dating someone still in college. If they end up recasting Spencer, I could see them throwing him to Joss but if she thought her other pairings weren’t liked, the feedback to those 2 would probably keep her off SM permanently. 

I guess that's why she said they need new blood, lol.   I think she's wise enough to know she cannot be paired with Spencer anytime in  the foreseeable future.  You're right, there would have to be a recast, and Sprina would have to end organically with zero involvement from Joss.  And we are still talking two years off I would think.  I was wondering if she wants Mo's son back?  I really don't know,  I just found the whole thing interesting.  

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, CeChase said:

It was interesting.  And it looks like this is a much more permanent split than I had thought.  I thought they'd be back together by end of the month.  Now I am wondering if they are going to kill off Dex.  Unless he's Jagger's son. And that's never been written so even if it was a plan they could change course.  She is calling for new blood in the youth scene.  Hmmm

If they do that, then Jagger will turn out to be abusive because Dex's father was abusive, so let's hope they don't go there. And they don't need to tie every Dick and Tom to someone on canvas.

• Like 5
  • Applause 2

I have always been curious about the decision to have Joss/Dex do nothing but have sex and talk about Sonny for over a year. Not that they’re the first horny soap couple but the other couples I’m thinking of also had their substantive moments and actual SLs. I also don’t think any of them had the ratio of love scenes to total episodes that Joss/Dex had. 

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

If they do that, then Jagger will turn out to be abusive because Dex's father was abusive, so let's hope they don't go there. And they don't need to tie every Dick and Tom to someone on canvas.

No I don't think Jagger raised him. 

1 hour ago, CeChase said:

Now I am wondering if they are going to kill off Dex.  Unless he's Jagger's son.

He can't be. Jagger's son, was Stone (named after his brother) and is on the spectrum. Unless he had another kid, which I don't think he did; unless he just mentioned Stone in his conversation with Olivia last month.

• Like 1

I don’t think they’re making Dex Jagger’s son. Jagger has no other family on canvas either so he’s not a strong enough tie. If anything, they are probably about to usher him out. Things between Sonny and Jason will be settled soon enough so Sonny doesn’t need him, no pairing, no friends, and no onscreen family. He lifts right out because Joss and his now former job were all he had since he joined the show. 

• Useful 1
3 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

I don’t think they’re making Dex Jagger’s son. Jagger has no other family on canvas either so he’s not a strong enough tie. If anything, they are probably about to usher him out. Things between Sonny and Jason will be settled soon enough so Sonny doesn’t need him, no pairing, no friends, and no onscreen family. He lifts right out because Joss and his now former job were all he had since he joined the show. 

I think Dex is not long for the world, so I agree.  But at one point I did think that Jagger was going to end up being his bio father.  An affair son he didn't know about, or knew about and thought he was having a good upbringing so totally ignorant of what was really happening.  I thought it could be a good story because it could set up a "Wall Street" (the film) type of struggle between Jagger and Sonny.  This was all in my head of course lol.  But Jagger made a few comments that made me think it could happen.  Now I am starting to think they are going to write Dex off, yeah.  But we'll see. 

• Useful 1

They definitely need new blood.  Right now, everybody is related to everybody, hence my constant need for clarification on which kids are siblings, half-siblings, step-siblings, first, second and third cousins.  Who can genetically be in a relationship, and who can not?  

The tendency to bring a new character onto the canvas and then retcon them into a biological relationship with existing characters doesn't solve anything.  It only compounds the situation.

• Like 7
13 hours ago, ffwbe said:

was surprised that Joss got so much blowback for cheating on Cameron because most people found the pairing boring to begin with. 

Just because Cam and Joss were boring doesn't mean he deserved to be cheated on.

1 hour ago, JMO said:

The tendency to bring a new character onto the canvas and then retcon them into a biological relationship with existing characters doesn't solve anything.  It only compounds the situation.

It's lazy, dumb, and creatively restricting.

• Like 7
  • Applause 3
8 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Just because Cam and Joss were boring doesn't mean he deserved to be cheated on.

I actually like cheating storylines but the “soapy” part is the fallout. Joss cheated and Cam was allowed to be upset for 1 episode and no one else found out or cared. The only cheating SL less interesting than that one in recent history was Michael/Willow cheating behind Chase’s back. He not only forgave them by the end of the episode but remained best friends with them even though they were unapologetic assholes about it.

Messy SLs are only fun to watch when we see the second half of it after the truth comes out. Those consequences never happen for a handful of characters so the SLs are instead just said characters being jerks while no one is allowed to hate them when they hurt people (see Carly’s reign of terror).

• Like 8
  • Applause 4
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

I actually like cheating storylines but the “soapy” part is the fallout. Joss cheated and Cam was allowed to be upset for 1 episode and no one else found out or cared.

Joss acted as if she were entitled to cheat, and the dope she cheated with is a big nothing. Joss and Dex are at least as boring as Joss and Cam. The only reason Joss cheated is because she was bored, and that's not soapy, IMO. Neither couple had much chemistry, so the cheating was a big snore.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

Eden is right in terms of the canvas. We do need some new blood there. Maybe Stone. Just because he's on the spectrum doesn't mean he cant have other stories or a love interest. And tying new characters to established ones is an easy way to attempt to get some buy-in from the audience. But I agree with everyone that the canvas is too incestuous as it is. But if they tie Dex to an established character that isn't related to Sonny or the Qs that would be fine. Jagger, Ava, Nina, Sasha could all be tied to someone new without risking grossness. Hell, Scott hasn't had a heretofore unmentiomed kid in years. He's due for another one.

I'm in no way attached to Dex and if he is the tragic loss we need to establish the situation is serious fine by me. 

They may be waiting to see just what's going to happen with NC and Spencer before they start casting or writing any new young dudes. But Trina and Joss are going to need something to do very soon.

• Like 6

A good interview, which makes it sound like the split with Sonny may last.

It's clear Finola and MB enjoy working together but Anna's been too soft on him for too long. The old school Anna would've run him in years ago.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

Very excited for the Laura/Anna scene she mentioned.

The course correction she talks about with regard to Sonny is so overdue and necessary. Glad to hear her talk about it.

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
34 minutes ago, jsbt said:

LW does not see Jason/Carly happening, and has some interesting insight re: the writing change.

I didn’t think they were happening. It would be suicide for new writers to try them again when the last attempt got the kitchen sink thrown at them to make them popular and was still a colossal failure. They don’t have romantic chemistry and while I’m not a fan of Jason at all, I know that has an extremely dedicated and vocal fanbase who made it obvious that they aren’t down for Jason and Carly being a romantic pairing. However, their dynamic also makes them a crappy option for whoever they do get paired with. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
57 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

I didn’t think they were happening. It would be suicide for new writers to try them again when the last attempt got the kitchen sink thrown at them to make them popular and was still a colossal failure. They don’t have romantic chemistry and while I’m not a fan of Jason at all, I know that has an extremely dedicated and vocal fanbase who made it obvious that they aren’t down for Jason and Carly being a romantic pairing. However, their dynamic also makes them a crappy option for whoever they do get paired with. 

Yes there lies the rub.  their  story as bff's who love each other SOOOOO much that  they will drop their spouses and their children to run  to each other, is played out by about two decades.  The best answer would have been to put them together at this point, but they would have had to boot Wright and bring back Braun for that to work.  And that's never happening.  They put themselves between a rock and a hard place with this nonsense with these two characters IMO.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, Grinaldi said:

The course correction she talks about with regard to Sonny is so overdue and necessary. Glad to hear her talk about it.

It was one of the biggest problems GH stories had, IMO. Sonny's illegalities were constantly being excused by the PCPD because "he loved his kids," "he gives money to GH," "he was nice to Stone while he was dying of AIDS," and other dumb excuses. That didn't change the fact he's a gangster who has people killed.

2 hours ago, jsbt said:

I think she's right when she says it can't happen with Sonny around. And I agree with @ffwbe that it hamstrings the relationships Jason and and Carly are put into (unless it's Carly and Sonny).

I had to laugh in the FH interview that she says she tells SBu she always has to bring her A game in their scenes. I can't see what he gives anyone.

• Like 11
37 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I had to laugh in the FH interview that she says she tells SBu she always has to bring her A game in their scenes. I can't see what he gives anyone.

That's probably why. She has to work harder to squeeze juice out of a rock. He sucks.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 12
49 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I’ve heard that said so much about working with MB or SBu and to be as diplomatic as possible, I feel like their costars know they have to repeat the company line because those 2 are consistently the weakest of the over 40 cast. To make it obvious that they aren’t god’s gift to acting makes the entire show look dumb since it’s been centered around them for close to 30 years 

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
(edited)

Jason/Carly might have had a better chance if the writers hadn't tried to give them Robin/Jason's history. I wasn't much of a fan of that pairing and even I was offended on behalf of their fans. I think there is a way to write Jason/Carly but it would have to be presented as two co-dependent dipshits who've discovered no one else will put up with them so they might as well be together and not some grand passion or soulmates or first real loves. 

Edited by Mirabelle
  • Like 9
13 hours ago, DanaK said:

Of course they’ll have Danny at odds with his family over Jason, who will barely acknowledge his existence. It’ll make for some interesting drama but I’m still going to roll my eyes at him. I am pleasantly surprised one of Jason’s kids sees him for who he is and isn’t falling all over for the tiny bit of attention he’ll give him. I never thought I’d see the day. 

• Like 5
  • Love 4

“Danny says something along the lines of, ‘Why aren’t you giving him the benefit of the doubt?’ And Jake says, ‘Because he doesn’t deserve it.’ 

Team Jake!

• Like 9
  • Applause 5
(edited)

Personally, in the Sarah Brown years and (to a lesser extent) the Tamara Braun years, I always thought the "Jason and Carly as BFFs for life" thing came off as sublimation. It was as if Carly was deeply in love with this guy, and she had accepted that he'd never have sex with her again or entertain the notion of a romantic relationship (especially after Sonny staked his claim), so "my best friend" is the declaration she could make.

The vibe I got from Burton as Jason supported that. He was often impatient with her, and yelled at her when she needlessly caused trouble for herself. And there was about 20 times as much of Carly going to Jason for help as there was of the reverse, which isn't the way any friendship of mine goes.    

But then in the Laura Wright years, for better or worse, it did seem like more of a reciprocal friendship, which was a bummer. I'm a Carly hater, so I'll always prefer it when she's full of shit.  

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Like 10
  • Applause 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

Personally, in the Sarah Brown years and (to a lesser extent) the Tamara Braun years, I always thought the "Jason and Carly as BFFs for life" thing came off as sublimation. It was as if Carly was deeply in love with this guy, and she had accepted that he'd never have sex with her again or entertain the notion of a romantic relationship (especially after Sonny staked his claim), so "my best friend" is the declaration she could make.

It absolutely was that, but I think it still has been ever since. That's never changed. IMO Carly has never stopped being in love with Jason with the possible exception of the first year or two of her married life with Sonny. IIRC they made a point of showing Sarah's Carly running to Sonny first over Jason after some disaster, and that clinched it for me at that time. I bought it because I was super into the original incarnation of S&C. Once the honeymoon phase faded and trouble really began for them, I think Carly gravitated back to Jason more. Though for me with the exception of the random kiss at the PC Hotel fire, I think Tamara played Carly with Jason largely like a sibling. This is likely because her material was almost totally Sonny-centric and the Fab 4 roles were locked in her time.

Whereas I think Laura in particular has consistently played it like Carly has never gotten over Jason. That doesn't mean I think she has been angling for the pairing for 20 years, because I think she has worked to sell every romance she has and I think she really sold the pairing with Ingo and the marriage to Jax, which I never would have bought with any other Carly back then. (I remember the chem tests with Tamara during the JFP year and I hated it.) But the yearning and the intensity re: Jason is always there with LW for me, which makes sense because it was there with Sarah. I've always said I feel Laura and Sarah often have the same sort of brute force onscreen. It's just that Sarah's Carly was more exposed and vulnerable at the same time, and Laura's version has the benefit of decades of wealth and security as a mob wife while having a performer that has a somewhat harder take.

Edited by jsbt
  • Like 4
(edited)
18 minutes ago, jsbt said:

But the yearning and the intensity re: Jason is always there with LW for me, which makes sense because it was there with Sarah. I've always said I feel Laura and Sarah often have the same sort of brute force onscreen. It's just that Sarah's Carly was more exposed and vulnerable at the same time, and Laura's version has the benefit of decades of wealth and security as a mob wife while having a performer that has a somewhat harder take.

Very well put, @jsbt. I know some people find LW's take on Carly OOC for Carly, but it makes sense to me that at this point she's become a bit too cocksure of her place in PC, even if it's only because of who she's been married to. LW does overplay Carly's smug, but that's also in the writing.

ETA: As for Carly's feelings for Jason, I agree she will always have them. 

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, jsbt said:

I think LW really sold the pairing with Ingo and the marriage to Jax, which I never would have bought with any other Carly back then. (I remember the chem tests with Tamara during the JFP year and I hated it.) 

I'm gonna have to HARD disagree on this. I uber-adored Tamara's Carly and Jax. I thought Tamara and Ingo had incredible chemistry and worked so well together.  I shipped them so, so hard. 

In fact, when Tamara came back as Kim, I was desperately hoping that maybe they would pair up Jax and Kim so I'd finally get those two together. Alas.

• Like 1

On Twitter Nicholas Betchel has seemingly denied he will be coming back as Spencer (since it's obvious NAC is not coming back) and is going off to college. Good for him. I find that a lot of child stars benefit from doing college and having a regular life before they come back to acting, if ever.

• Like 6

Same, especially because he doesn't look that much more mature from when he was on GH regularly. That's not his fault, of course, but NAC was obviously cast (to me, at any rate) because he did look more like an older teenager, early 20-year-old.

• Like 1