Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

It looks like he’s back for awhile. 

Nikolas does enter into the reunion prepared to face some tough questions from Spencer about his latest disappearing act. “Nikolas doesn’t back down from a challenge,” Huss asserts. “He’s got his eyes on the prize of what he needs, and what he’s got to take care of. I think he believes he can handle whatever is going to come his way. And yet I also believe that the yearning just to reconnect with his son at this time — at all times, truly — is still there, even though he had that moment of saying to him a year ago, ‘You’re no longer my son.’ I think in that time [he spent away from Port Charles], he had to think about what was important to him. And I think this is one of those relationships where Nikolas feels like, ‘If I am able to reconcile this, I am willing to go to whatever means possible to do so.’

2 hours ago, Sake614 said:

That was a nice interview. I can’t imagine coming back after 30 years when she was just a little girl the first time! 

It was a very good article that made me feel a little emotional

• Like 1
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, DanaK said:

Brighton Hertford (ex-BJ) on her emotional return to GH

What a great article and interesting life she’s had, thanks for posting! Hard to think of someone her age as one of the vets but indeed she is.  A wonderful writing and casting choice. 

I didn’t recognize her on the first day she appeared and mistakenly assumed she was a real-life relative of JZ’s.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
(edited)

UGH. I have a feeling Show isn’t going to bother finding a new, more appropriate Nikolas. Adam just doesn’t exude elegance, princely, or the essence of a Cassadine. He acts more like one of their minions/thugs.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 8

I had no idea that was the actual/ original BJ. I now forgive the show for what I had previously considered to be a ridiculous sappy twist. Bringing the same actress back actually makes for a lovely tribute.  

11 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Adam just doesn’t exude elegance, princely, or the essence of a Cassadine.

And he has zero chemistry with Maura. I witnessed their reunion and all I could think was, this would be so hot with Marcus C. With Adam, it was… two actors saying lines. Meh.

• Like 6
  • Applause 4
On 1/14/2024 at 11:23 PM, 30 Helens said:

had no idea that was the actual/ original BJ. I now forgive the show for what I had previously considered to be a ridiculous sappy twist. Bringing the same actress back actually makes for a lovely tribute.  

This has got to be one of the best things TPTB have done on this show in a really long time.  I didn’t think they had it in them.

• Like 4
  • Applause 4
1 minute ago, Desperado said:

I would say it’s good news for the show, but they’re not the ones who re-hired SB so I’ll just watch from the sidelines and see.

Yep, Frank is still there.  And so is Carly-worshipper Korte.  So, we'll see how things develop from here. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
  • Useful 1

Dan/Chris don’t do much for me but Korte will just make it even more centered around Carly and her kids than it already is so I don’t see an improvement there. If that’s true, hopefully they hire a new HW soon. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 4
26 minutes ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

Maybe they'll at least break up Liz and Finn.

Elizabeth and Finn could be great. It's the writing for them that is the problem. Both actors are great, and have chemistry, but they simply aren't written AS a couple. Their fans don't even like the writing for them. If the dang writers would actually write them as a COUPLE, give them good writing, it would be different.

Just now, YaddaYadda said:

They should get rid of Korte. The show would improve leaps and bounds without the weird Carly worship and continuous fanfic we are treated to on the daily.

Not likely considering that Korte is the temporary headwriter according to that link.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
12 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

They should get rid of Korte. The show would improve leaps and bounds without the weird Carly worship and continuous fanfic we are treated to on the daily.

I mean, for me personally, that's the biggest problem with the show.  So with Korte becoming interim headwriter (assuming that's true), this isn't good news at all.  They'd have to replace her with a new, perm, headwriter very fast to have any hope of a better outcome for me. 

• Like 8
26 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:
42 minutes ago, driver18 said:

Korte is the temporary headwriter

Carly will probably oust Laura as Mayor now.

And still run the diner and be Crimson's editor.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Liz Korte has been blamed online for everything short of the sun coming up for over 20 years. I have no idea what is actually credible at this point, I just know she's been there a very long time and frankly seniority over the day to day writing purge that followed Wolf and Carlivati is something I do value.

That said, Dan and Chris seemed to me like nice, witty guys largely controlled by Frank. The show feels like it has been largely in stasis since Ron left to stay in a comfortable, lethargic mold designed to cater to existing surviving viewer bases and therefore stay on the air. This was the case with Passanante and Altman (and Passanante had equally boring/dreadful stints HWing other soaps) and things only marginally improved with O'Connor and Van Etten. There was and is very little forward momentum, very little urgency and a lot of recycled BTS pets - Easton, Howarth, the shadow demon known as Violet, little Sam from OLTL coming back over and over as that Boy Scout even though the poor kid can't act and just wants to play hockey, etc.

The show over the last 8 years or so has felt to me like a show largely run by committee or rather, probably, by a Committee of Frank. It has no real ambitions other than to remain on the air and not upset the applecart by changing anything too much for what it believes is its major priority audience, older white women of certain beliefs. This is a philosophy Frank has adopted more than once before at other soaps.

I don't know that anyone other than Frank Valentini can keep this show on-air and on budget as an EP. He is very good at that, and he has saved it before. He has done many things at GH and OLTL I'll always be grateful for, including the tribute to Jackie. I do think nothing will change with the writing or stories or characters until Frank, at least, gets out of the way of the writers.

Edited by jsbt
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, driver18 said:

Not likely considering that Korte is the temporary headwriter according to that link.

Of course she is [tm Daniel Jackson]. Probably the old writers didn't prop Carly enough .

(edited)

Again, what people fail to factor in about Elizabeth Korte is that Korte has been there since 1996 (maybe '94?). She came up under the very, very, very good writers' corps from Labine and Guza I-II that was absolutely rock solid. You could've put the show on ABC at night at times in those years without disrupting primetime's pedigree. It was that good and that was because of those scripts and those actors.

Many of those writers lingered even as the show slowly got bad and then very bad in the 2000s; even in really ugly times they could still turn out really shockingly great, literate scenes all the way to 2011. Then Guza was gone, Frank came in with Ron and almost everyone remaining was purged. Except Korte.

I have a real long memory. Since I remember hearing her name in 2001 or so, Korte has been blamed online for everything imaginable on the show, especially re: Carly. But Korte has been there all along. She was, until now, maybe the last remaining writer on staff who knows what it is like to write this show for more than pure equilibrium and put it on without it being about 90 second scenes. And I don't think she's ever gotten enough credit for that. It takes more than one writer or creative or executive to make Carly the center of the show. And Carly took the rock plenty of times in those years.

As for Mulcahey, I will let others cover it. He is not just a GH legend, he is a soap opera legend across many great shows, one of the last writing GOATs. His stories about writing for Luke, Laura and Lucky, creating Carly with Sarah Brown, etc. are well-documented. I never thought he would return from paid retirement at B&B. I am 100% back for this, however it turns out.

Edited by jsbt
  • Like 5
  • Useful 2
(edited)
19 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

Not sure I know Mulcahy’s work. Is he any good?

Mulcahy is fantastic. He's my 2nd favorite soap writer of all time (and I've been watching soaps for 40 years. He wrote for GL and SB during its heyday (I believe).  I think he's the one who wrote the infamously awesome GL election special episode.

RE: Korte. Honestly, until I read people complaining about Korte's obsession with Carly here nonstop, I always and only heard good things about Korte. Because, yes, she has been around FOREVER. She *KNOWS* GH and has delivered some of its finest hours.

ETA: Just checked the link and, yup, Mulcahy was there at GL during 1992. He was the one who wrote that amazing election episode. He's so very good.

I'm excited for GH again! I'll have to wait until March for the new stuff, but DAMN, I'm excited!

Edited by driver18
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Yeah, I'd forgotten Doug Marland saved Mulcahey from waiting tables in the early '80s and brought him to his GL run, then Loving (where they did not get along with Agnes Nixon lol). Then he did the Dobsons' Santa Barbara. Then the legendary Curlee run at GL. Then the legendary runs at GH. Then paid retirement at B&B.

• Applause 1
2 minutes ago, jsbt said:

Yeah, I'd forgotten Doug Marland saved Mulcahey from waiting tables in the early '80s and brought him to his GL run, then Loving (where they did not get along with Agnes Nixon lol). Then he did the Dobsons' Santa Barbara. Then the legendary Curlee run at GL. Then the legendary runs at GH. Then paid retirement at B&B.

Can you tweak an aging memory by mentioning some of the GH storylines associated with Mulcahey?  

2 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

Maybe they'll at least break up Liz and Finn.

I think that's already in the works. Apparently Jason will be turning to her for help when he comes back, reading between the lines.

(edited)
10 minutes ago, JMO said:

Can you tweak an aging memory by mentioning some of the GH storylines associated with Mulcahey?  

1996-1999. He helped create Carly, did the rape revisit with L&L, the Cassadine return, a lot of the early Alexis stuff, etc. I thought he'd lingered into the 2000s but apparently not. He's talked extensively about a lot of this period in interviews, which I cannot dig up right now.

He was also, like me, intensely enamored of the Sarah Brown Carly he created which, well, I don't think what I want will ever happen (and I think Laura's done a great job), but anyway.

Edited by jsbt
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Thanks, jsbt.  I remember the Sarah Brown Carly and loved to hate her (and occasionally to feel sorry for her).  Not sure I loved any of the rest, but they were all definitely better than what we've been getting of late.  

I'm one of those 'women of a certain age' who loved the pathos and relatability of the past, but I understand that things change, and maybe viewers are looking for something different these days.  That's why I am grateful for having found vintage episodes online.  (Also just discovered the Brit series 'Cranford', which is quite soapy and much more my speed.)

(edited)
30 minutes ago, Auntie Velvet said:

I think that's already in the works. Apparently Jason will be turning to her for help when he comes back, reading between the lines.

Or Elizabeth is just the intro to Jason's return. On Twitter (X) and such, Elizabeth and Finn do have a loyal fanbase. It looks like this malpractice story is going to be ending sooner rather than later (thank goodness), and so Elizabeth will get the focus of the next story. It doesn't mean a break-up. Of course, we'll see what the new HWs (hallelujah!) have planned. If it means a better show overall, I'll deal with it.

I still maintain that Elizabeth and FInn as a pairing is NOT the issue. It's the writing for them (and the fact that the current writers refuse to write for them as an actual couple) that is the problem.

Edited by driver18
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, jsbt said:

I do think nothing will change with the writing or stories or characters until Frank, at least, gets out of the way of the writers.

Here's hoping he gives Korte and Mulcahy some room. If Mulcahy is behind the stories mentioned, I'm more than willing to stick around to see what he can do today.

• Like 2
(edited)

The proper super-cut of some these scenes is no longer available, but I feel fairly certain most of these are Mulcahey. Specifically, Helena's re-introduction to the show as Constance Towers - the scenes are timestamped here, and interspersed throughout; everything with Helena and Alexis is extremely worthwhile.

Luke and Lucky about the rape (I wish this was around in better quality as the editing and sound design is remarkable):

Luke and Bobbie re: Carly and their past. The latter half especially is some of Jackie and Tony's best work.

The infamous Sonny and Carly scene that started it all. I remember well how a lot of people felt about it at the time and now, but I still think it's some of the greatest stuff on the show, performance and writing. Like many i was shocked and slightly repulsed but I couldn't look away, and I have few regrets about finding Maurice and Sarah to be one of the show's last supercouples in their time despite what came later.

7 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Here's hoping he gives Korte and Mulcahy some room. If Mulcahy is behind the stories mentioned, I'm more than willing to stick around to see what he can do today.

It's not the '90s anymore and that era was far from flawless, but by the same token Mulcahey doesn't need GH. I am a little amazed if Frank had anything to do with this, as Frank seems to prefer a peppy, cheap show with a bland status quo and 90 second scenes. As anyone will note from above if they weren't there at the time, that's not what Mulcahey writes. It will be interesting to see how this goes, but even if it's a disaster like when the great Michael Malone returned to OLTL and tanked it can't possibly be more boring than what I've struggled to watch for years.

Edited by jsbt
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
54 minutes ago, Auntie Velvet said:

Oh God, please no.  The only scene I want to see between Jason and Elizabeth is one in which she reads him for the filth he is.  Bonus points if Jake does the same.  Jake has far more reason to hate his father than Jason ever had to be such an asshole to Alan.

• Like 5
  • Applause 4

I remember being excited when Lucky Gold joined the writing staff because I liked his work on GL. And while his episodes are well-written, the show remained the Carly/Sonny/Michael worshipping mess that it was before and that's what his episodes show.

I will see in March if there is a new direction but the Carly in the episodes that Korte writes is some of the most vile Carly there is.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

This is great news. Korte does get a lot of blame, including from me recently, but she has been there a long time with some great regimes.

Mulcahey is one of the best episode writers to ever work in the medium. I trust him to give us a competently written soap opera if nothing else, which is not what we currently have. And NLG has to be over the moon. He wrote a lot of Mason/Julia on SB and her intro to GH.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

I still think Jason and Carly will hook up, since that's what they were doing before the actor left.

Hope the new writers will rise to our expecations and make this show care about the characters again.

Also, (unpopular opinion), I hope Nina and Sonny get back together  ducks tomatoes

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
1 minute ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

Also, (unpopular opinion), I hope Nina and Sonny get back together  ducks tomatoes

The character was at his most palatable in a decade with her so I wouldn’t mind, but he would need to grovel as he’s been treating her as badly as she had cheated in him, not just grassed on his ex.

• Like 5
  • Applause 3

I’m excited for Patrick. He’s always been one of my favorite soap writers. While I absolutely detest how Korte writes Carly and thinks she uses her show’s historian title to rewrite Carly’s history to make her come on on top, I do enjoy some of the stuff she writes for characters who aren’t involved in the same story as Carly. Bright side is she can’t exactly make me dislike Carly any more than I already do. 

• Like 2
(edited)

I'll believe they'll do better when I see it. They still have Frank calling the shots.  

I wonder if Drew's line about hitting Nina scene is what did these 2 in. 

Edited by Artsda
  • Like 3
  • Useful 3

Im pretty sure this is the first time since FV took over that we’ve had HWs that not only had he previously not worked with on OLTL but wrote for the show prior to him taking over. I’m not sure if it’s true but the consensus online has been that Dan/Chris deferred a lot to what Frank wanted and he was basically a shadow HW. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1