Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

(edited)
2 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

FIFY. 😬

🤣🤣🤣🤣

It's also a really strange image from people who claim to be pro-life. I guess cookie babies don't matter?

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 14
  • Love 2

Would like to clarify I am sympathetic to the fact they had a miscarriage and that they are either apparently trying to commemorate that baby or celebrating this next one. I don't have a problem with that at all. It's just the manner in which it is being done is just weird as fuck. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 13
1 minute ago, Zella said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣

It's also a really strange image from people who claim to be pro-life. I guess cookie babies don't matter?

If one were actually to eat this bizarro thing, one would eating cookie feces. Why stick at eating a cookie baby?

(Running away screaming into the night...)

• LOL 14
Just now, Oldernowiser said:

If one were actually to eat this bizarro thing, one would eating cookie feces. Why stick at eating a cookie baby?

(Running away screaming into the night...)

They're just violating cookie norms left and right!

• LOL 12
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

This woman has TWO spines! 

Edited 25 minutes ago by doodlebug

Thank you!! I'm not a physician but I could not for the life of me figure out what was happening in her back.

• LOL 7
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

Besides the fact that Joy and Austin aren't in the picture, what is also NOT in the promo is the fact that Joy and Austin lost Annabell. That's telling. It makes me wonder how much they will be on the show this season, if at all. Austin didn't do anything controversial on social media the way Derick has, but it makes me wonder about Derick's statements about the degree to which the kids were pressured to remain on the show or whatever it was Derick said. If anyone is going to back out of filming sans controversy, it would be Austin as he has another legitimate source of income. If it turns out that Joy and Austin have removed themselves from the show, it could add a new dimension to Derick's comments.

Given the timeline of filming, I thought that Jinger's pregnancy announcement to the family was in reference to the one she eventually miscarried, not the current one. It looked like it coincided with the Christmas party, although I may have misread that.

At least this season appears to have footage from 2020 since there is mention of the pandemic, so it looks like they're catching up to real time.

They might as well start recasting. People mostly cared about the 5 eldest daughters. They've lost Jill and potentially Joyless Joy. The daughters-in-law don't have the same connection with the audience. Joy has been in the public spotlight since she was a little kid. People watched her grow up. Not so much Lauren and Kendra. 

• Love 4

If we were picking shows that had to include Duggars ...

Jill and the boys - no Derick.

Joy, Austin, Kendra, Joe and the kids. To compare and contrast.

Jana and the littlest girls. So see how different the Littles are being raised compared to their older sisters.

And just Lauren. Because I'm an asshole sometimes, who occasionally enjoys a good trainwreck.

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

What I find particularly concerning about this supposed anatomic representation of the pregnant mom's belly are the multiple anatomic impossibilities.  First, look at her back.  This woman has TWO spines!  Meanwhile, most Duggar women are spineless.  Perhaps they donated theirs to the cookie?  Then, we do indeed see a rectum.  Yum!  But that rectum dead ends just behind the cervix.  What happened to the rest of the colon? I guess cookie mom doesn't need a digestive tract.  Finally, take a look at the front wall of the uterus just in front of the baby's head.  There is a balloon-like protuberance from the womb.  What the heck is that supposed to be?  It cannot be her bladder because a) it has no exit and b) that's her bladder behind it and in front of the vagina.  

I guess I was absent the day they taught fundie anatomy in med school.

Your analysis of this cookie legit made me laugh out loud.

Also made me feel slightly ashamed that I still have only the slightest grasp of where the uterus is located, despite owning one myself-I did not have a fundie education, just a typical late-90s sex ed in NJ, where they focused entirely on heterosexual sex, and since that wasn't my thing I just snoozed through health class.

• LOL 16
(edited)
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

If we were picking shows that had to include Duggars ...

Jill and the boys - no Derick.

Joy, Austin, Kendra, Joe and the kids. To compare and contrast.

Jana and the littlest girls. So see how different the Littles are being raised compared to their older sisters.

And just Lauren. Because I'm an asshole sometimes, who occasionally enjoys a good trainwreck.

One catch. You actually want truthful documentaries. Those shows would only be what the Duggars and TLC have always insisted on: Hours and hours of self-serving lies. 

"Reality" tv in the TLC/Duggar mode actually tells you nothing. All it does is foster more lying, sneaking, suppressing and embroidering among its  participants. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

One catch. You actually want truthful documentaries. Those shows would only be what the Duggars and TLC have always insisted on: Hours and hours of self-serving lies. 

"Reality" tv in the TLC/Duggar mode actually tells you nothing. All it does is foster more lying, sneaking, suppressing and embroidering among its  participants. 

True, but they're not that good. During filming somethings leak out, somethings are said and done by the Duggars because they don't know any better, and sometimes the producers throw a little something our way.

• LOL 1

As others have said, the show is not reality. None of these types of show are. But if JB had less control over the show and his kids, they may show some of the cracks in the family’s fake perfect image. They should show the conflicts between the family members. The stuff with Derrick would create great drama.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, doodlebug said:

What I find particularly concerning about this supposed anatomic representation of the pregnant mom's belly are the multiple anatomic impossibilities.  First, look at her back.  This woman has TWO spines!  Meanwhile, most Duggar women are spineless.  Perhaps they donated theirs to the cookie?  Then, we do indeed see a rectum.  Yum!  But that rectum dead ends just behind the cervix.  What happened to the rest of the colon? I guess cookie mom doesn't need a digestive tract.  Finally, take a look at the front wall of the uterus just in front of the baby's head.  There is a balloon-like protuberance from the womb.  What the heck is that supposed to be?  It cannot be her bladder because a) it has no exit and b) that's her bladder behind it and in front of the vagina.  

Also, the poor second spine is fused with severe degeneration disk disease.  Poor mother!

• Love 4

Finally, take a look at the front wall of the uterus just in front of the baby's head.  There is a balloon-like protuberance from the womb.  What the heck is that supposed to be?

Sigh. I can’t believe I’m still looking at that, let alone analyzing it...the pubic bone in cross-section?

• LOL 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

True, but they're not that good. During filming somethings leak out, somethings are said and done by the Duggars because they don't know any better, and sometimes the producers throw a little something our way.

True! (I gather. Except for the occasional clips, I don't watch.... just suck up the info secondhand from here...) 

I continue to think that it's extremely unhealthy -- both mentally and, in the long run, financially -- for them and for the next generation of them, though!  (And noone is in the least surprised that I continue to think this!) 😁

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Sigh. I can’t believe I’m still looking at that, let alone analyzing it...the pubic bone in cross-section?

If it is, it shouldn't be attached to the uterus.  Of course, these are people who didn't notice the double spinal column, so I think you're probably right. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

I don't want any children featured on the shows, besides maybe babies. I tend to think kids do better away from the spotlight. 

My ideal show would be about the christian patriarchy movement is evil and all the flaws in their beliefs held to the light. TLC which has been sugar coating their beliefs would never make such a show. 

Realistically the best thing would be a new courtship. There doesn't seem to be one. The last one was almost two years ago. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Future Cat Lady said:

As others have said, the show is not reality. None of these types of show are. But if JB had less control over the show and his kids, they may show some of the cracks in the family’s fake perfect image. They should show the conflicts between the family members. The stuff with Derrick would create great drama.

It's like finding out Ozzy and Sharon have 3 kids. But there were only two on the Osbournes! What is this???

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
44 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

It's like finding out Ozzy and Sharon have 3 kids. But there were only two on the Osbournes! What is this???

But the Duggars aren't a tv family! Jessa said so! 

• LOL 7
5 hours ago, Future Cat Lady said:

Just the other day I read that most "reality" shows are 85% scripted.  Then the producers take 50% of that and make edits that often change the original scripting to fit the story line they decide to follow.  The marriages and babies are real.  Everything else about this family is phony.  Apparently lying and misrepresenting themselves doesn't go against their devout religious beliefs.  🙄

• Love 16
13 minutes ago, babyhouseman said:

After seeing a commercial on TLC, I saw where the show is coming out on July 7. It looks like there may be footage after the quarantine at home. That will be exciting. lol

That means they pushed out the premiere another week. Original premiere was 6/30.

• Useful 5
22 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

That means they pushed out the premiere another week. Original premiere was 6/30.

Hoping that another week will get them to finally do something interesting? I think TLC will be disappointed.

Good to know, though, because I thought I had seen that they were coming back and then couldn't find them on the schedule. I was afraid I was having Duggar dreams and had not really seen the original ad.

• LOL 5
2 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

Hoping that another week will get them to finally do something interesting? I think TLC will be disappointed.

Good to know, though, because I thought I had seen that they were coming back and then couldn't find them on the schedule. I was afraid I was having Duggar dreams and had not really seen the original ad.

I think all the reality premiers were pushed back a week.

• Useful 6
8 minutes ago, Absolom said:

It hasn't aired on TV yet, has it?

Yes, it has (Counting Now) - its up on youtube for those interested. (Not sure f I am allowed to link it.)

• Useful 1
(edited)

Isn't that the early TLC website release that they usually do before the first episode shows up on TV?  It wasn't on their TV schedule for last night.

One of my online friends said yesterday that TLC had put it up early on their website as they usually do.

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 2

Yeah the episode airs on July 7th on the actual television.

Changing the start of the season from June 30th to July 7th seems to have thrown things off.  Then again People did a two-week magazine ahead of the fourth.

See normally today would have been an announcement in Ok! since they're the ones buying Duggar news. (Basically a new courtship or pregnancy). Or in People if they could get People (probably on a Friday). But the tabloids are off for the 4rth and everyone is either excited for the holiday or dealing with the pandemic and not paying as much attention. Anyway the Duggars would make their announcement in tabloids and then the first episode back would air in the less than a week. So they don't want to announce without a tabloid story, TLC is releasing the episode early and waiting for the announcement next week. 

Maybe we'll get an announcement next week for the tabloids. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Absolom said:

Isn't that the early TLC website release that they usually do before the first episode shows up on TV?  It wasn't on their TV schedule for last night.

One of my online friends said yesterday that TLC had put it up early on their website as they usually do.

You're right. I suppose it doesn't count as airing.

It's a 2 hour episode. I watched the first hour on YouTube. Booooring. 

They started with the Pandemic. They self filmed into May because Lauren complained that Bella was  6 months old, and they had to stay away from everyone. The Family Night they filmed from the TTH was likely earlier. They showed empty grocery shelves, so Jessa's filming was also early on since it didn't take long for stores to normalize. 

Josie is definitely behind in her cognitive development. 

• Useful 4
25 minutes ago, floridamom said:

Is Counting Now another spin off of Counting On? 

16..17...18...19Kids and Counting, Jill and Jessa: Counting On, Counting On and now Counting ON? Why all the name changes after 19K?

No that's what they call the one hour specials. No name change.

Oh, and Lolli and Pops are back in talking heads, like they never left. 😡

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

It's a 2 hour episode. I watched the first hour on YouTube. Booooring. 

They started with the Pandemic. They self filmed into May because Lauren complained that Bella was  6 months old, and they had to stay away from everyone. The Family Night they filmed from the TTH was likely earlier. They showed empty grocery shelves, so Jessa's filming was also early on since it didn't take long for stores to normalize. 

Josie is definitely behind in her cognitive development. 

i just went to several stores grocery shopping this morning and i see tons of empty shelves. tp is still missing. couldn't get my creamer - nothing special just an organic brand i like. we are still feeling the pinch here as for as covid fall out.  oh and i decided that as of today, i am back in SEVERE  (😘 ) lockdown. our cases in cali are rising super fast per what i am reading. i gave up on local tv news.  i am sad about not seeing my kids but after seeing the post bout intubation and the actual pictures of people and how it looks to live on the vent face down, yeah ,,,nope. i didn't relax too much in the first place so its easy to pull back. 

i really hope the duggers are safe from exposure but i dont see how that can possible. 

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

No that's what they call the one hour specials. No name change.

Oh, and Lolli and Pops are back in talking heads, like they never left. 😡

Lolli and Pops have been regulars for a while. I tried to watch JD's wedding and Michelle talked a lot. 

I watched the special. It's basically COVID-19 stuff. 

I did LOL at Ben calling Jessa a "ninja" when she had her mask on. Also, I noticed that while Ben was wearing his wedding ring, Jessa was not wearing a ring. I'm also not surprised at all that Jessa was the one who drove the family to Wal-Mart.

Evidently, Ben is the homeschool teacher for the Duggar kids. He also looks like he has aged a lot!

Oh, and hey, Ben is apparently in school himself. 

I was actually impressed with Jenni's artwork! But the Jana/Josie interaction...ughhhhhh

I see that you didn't include "talking viruses" in your #sayingsofSpurgeon, Jessa.

If you notice on the Brady Bunch-type shot of their family fun night, most of the non-married kids (Jana, and James on down, including Tyler) are in one shot, Jed! and Jer are in another shot, and Jason's in a shot by himself. Have Jed! and Jer moved out of the TTH? And, even though Jana said Jason was doing tornado relief, I call bullshit. Oh, and there was a shot of Anna with all the M kids but no Josh. And no Dillards, of course. Totally just for show!

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
56 minutes ago, zoomama said:

i just went to several stores grocery shopping this morning and i see tons of empty shelves. tp is still missing. couldn't get my creamer - nothing special just an organic brand i like. we are still feeling the pinch here as for as covid fall out.  oh and i decided that as of today, i am back in SEVERE  (😘 ) lockdown. our cases in cali are rising super fast per what i am reading. i gave up on local tv news.  i am sad about not seeing my kids but after seeing the post bout intubation and the actual pictures of people and how it looks to live on the vent face down, yeah ,,,nope. i didn't relax too much in the first place so its easy to pull back. 

i really hope the duggers are safe from exposure but i dont see how that can possible. 

The only thing missing from my market is paper towels. Otherwise, it's like the pandemic shortages never happened. It got back to normal fairly quickly here. 

1 minute ago, madpsych78 said:

I watched the special. It's basically COVID-19 stuff. 

I did LOL at Ben calling Jessa a "ninja" when she had her mask on. Also, I noticed that while Ben was wearing his wedding ring, Jessa was not wearing a ring. I'm also not surprised at all that Jessa was the one who drove the family to Wal-Mart.

Evidently, Ben is the homeschool teacher for the Duggar kids. He also looks like he has aged a lot!

Oh, and hey, Ben is apparently in school himself. 

I was actually impressed with Jenni's artwork! But the Jana/Josie interaction...ughhhhhh

I see that you didn't include "talking viruses" in your #sayingsofSpurgeon, Jessa.

If you notice on the Brady Bunch-type shot of their family fun night, most of the non-married kids (Jana, and James on down, including Tyler) are in one shot, Jed! and Jer are in another shot, and Jason's in a shot by himself. Have Jed! and Jer moved out of the TTH? And, even though Jana said Jason was doing tornado relief, I call bullshit. Oh, and there was a shot of Anna with all the M kids but no Josh. And no Dillards, of course. Totally just for show!

The boy twins live together in a house in Springdale so Jed! can actually live in the district in which he is a candidate.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

They appear to be broadcasting out of an RV.The boy twins live together in a house in Springdale so Jed! can actually live in the district in which he is a candidate.

They appear to be broadcasting out of an RV.  Was it confirmed that Jeremiah also moved out? I really don’t think either one moved out.

• Love 7