Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, awaken said:

Oh darn, is Jeremy out of a job?

Since he hasn't technically had a real job in awhile and loses each influencing gig he gets, he can rest easy. 😉 

• LOL 2
  • Love 11

I'm wathing TLC right now. (90 Day Fiancee: Before the 90 Days: Pillow Talk) Anyway they just showed a promo with TLC stars at their homes social distancing. This ad spot started with Dr. Pimple Popper and featured the Vuolos, and other TLC stars. (Amy Roloff?) Everyone was filming with their phones. The message was stay home, we're in this together, and TLC is here for you.  

(The only Duggars featured were the Vuolos. Good call!) 

(Also Lori? from Say Yes to the Dress: Atlanta)

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Temperance said:

I'm wathing TLC right now. (90 Day Fiancee: Before the 90 Days: Pillow Talk) Anyway they just showed a promo with TLC stars at their homes social distancing. This ad spot started with Dr. Pimple Popper and featured the Vuolos, and other TLC stars. (Amy Roloff?) Everyone was filming with their phones. The message was stay home, we're in this together, and TLC is here for you.  

(The only Duggars featured were the Vuolos. Good call!) 

(Also Lori? from Say Yes to the Dress: Atlanta)

Well, of course.  They are the break out stars!!! 🤣

• LOL 9
41 minutes ago, MonicaM said:

Well, of course.  They are the break out stars!!! 🤣

The only ones actually distancing, too. Shows TLC monitors their social media, too.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5

I think the Seewalds seem to be taking this seriously as far as I know.  The Dillards are taking this seriously, but they're off the show. The Vuolos are taking this seriously. 

I have no idea how seriously John and Abbie are taking this.

Everyone not mentioned doesn't seem to be taking this seriously. I wish they had more negative publicity for that. 

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Not sure if John was there or not. I didn't see him in any of the pictures.

I thought he might’ve flown them, but then I realized they probably just drove. On the other hand this was a good occasion to wear a useless badge and gun on his belt.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 1

Has TLC announced a new season for Counting On?  There were glimpses of filming at the Vuolos last month, but has there been any filming in Arkansas?  I would imagine that with the pandemic, all filming would be suspended.  Could this mark the end of the series?  Thoughts?

• Love 1

They filmed the ladies' breakfast when Jinger was in AR (sans Jill), so I guess they can use that. There really hadn't been much going on before the pandemic. Is there even enough footage to put together six episodes?

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

Has TLC announced a new season for Counting On?  There were glimpses of filming at the Vuolos last month, but has there been any filming in Arkansas?  I would imagine that with the pandemic, all filming would be suspended.  Could this mark the end of the series?  Thoughts?

5 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

They filmed the ladies' breakfast when Jinger was in AR (sans Jill), so I guess they can use that. There really hadn't been much going on before the pandemic. Is there even enough footage to put together six episodes?

I think it depends on the footage they shot before they had to shut down for the pandemic. This article indicates that editing footage has at least for some shows, continued, with people working at home: https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/reality-tv-coronavirus-cable-tlc-bravo-hgtv-1203550807/

If they had a substantial amount shot that could be edited into a few episodes they might go ahead. The "seasons" of this show are now, what, half a dozen episodes? TLC has a captive audience so even the deadly dull Duggars might snag some good viewer numbers with a few new episodes.

• Love 4

It will be interesting how they handle the next season.  I'm envisioning lots of bad smartphone video footage of Josie and Jana wearing masks while keeping the TTH running.  I honestly think that once we get past this crisis, nobody will want to relive it via reality TV and the numbers of viewers will be low low low.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
3 hours ago, JoanArc said:

I thought he might’ve flown them, but then I realized they probably just drove. On the other hand this was a good occasion to wear a useless badge and gun on his belt.

Si is a pilot and maybe Jeremiah as well? If they flew, the pilot could be Si or Jer. 

I think that they'll find a new courtship in the summer and that will be most of the season. I'm speculating the show will come back in the fall. 

(edited)
21 hours ago, Zella said:

They might need to jazz it up with some murder for hire and mullets to compete with Netflix. 😉

Josiah courts the Tiger King. He never gave a piece of his heart to Marge or Lauren.

Edited by JoanArc
  • LOL 8
7 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

saw it posted above

Best Reason to continue to keep Ma and Pa and Perv off the teevee and away from the TLC trough...

Ma and Pa are on tv front and center of their children's show.

Edited by Temperance

There's a picture of Jessa in a hospital bed with her three kids and she looks so much like Johannah that I did a double take. (It's in the TLC video above from Instagram.) No JinJer or Joy and Austin. 

• Useful 1

Not that surprised about JinJer since they are in LA (and I'm not sure how feasible it is for the crew to fly out there in these times). I AM surprised about Joy and Austin.

I totally agree that Jessa looked like Hannie in the hospital pic. Also, Jessa looking at Ben while he was speaking reminded me of how JB would look at Michelle when she spoke. Kind of like making sure that he said the right things while being ready to jump in if Ben got off track.

• Love 6
37 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

Not that surprised about JinJer since they are in LA (and I'm not sure how feasible it is for the crew to fly out there in these times).

But the set up is just talking heads, so I doubt a crew would have been necessary if they really wanted to include the Vuolos. I'm sure Jeremy would have been more than happy to pontificate if called upon. 

On a side note, though people had commented on how inarticulate Ben was, wow, that still was worse than I expected. The look on Jessa's face the entire time he rambled. 🤣

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
(edited)

Kendra has the adoring your headship gaze down pat. 

Surprisingly, JD was staring at Abbie the same way. Never thought I would see that from a Duggar male. 

Edited by PikaScrewChu
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I’m ready for TLC to launch a reality show fewturing the Dillards and how Jill seems to be genuinely breaking away from the shitshow she grew up with. Let’s follow adorable little Israel into public school and the real world. Let’s hear Jill talk about her process and struggles in breaking away. It could be a real inspiration and road map for others who were trained in similar restrictive situations.

I’m even a tiny bit hopeful that as this little family continues to interact with others outside the bubble, they may eventually overcome some of their more distasteful prejudices. That’s the only way it really ever happens; a homophobe actually meets a gay person and realizes there isn’t actually a problem and it gets them thinking, etc. Come on, Derrick, you can do it. 

I hope this time Durwood doesn’t sign the contract in disappearing ink!

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

I just can't see any network launching a show with them.  Not a single thing unique or dramatic about the Dillards or their situation.  They weren't in a Doomsday cult.  They weren't chained up in their homes.  They aren't talented, skilled or unique in any way.  They are dull people doing unremarkable things in a dismal area.  

Honey Boo Boo already got the folks looking for low-rent, ignorant hayseeds.  The only thing the Dillards can add is a little education, a LOT of Jesus and less body fat.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I’m ready for TLC to launch a reality show fewturing the Dillards and how Jill seems to be genuinely breaking away from the shitshow she grew up with.

Maybe on a different network.  TLC would have to admit that the Duggars are bad people that did bad things which is completely contrary to their current views on them.

• Love 11
5 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

Maybe on a different network.  TLC would have to admit that the Duggars are bad people that did bad things which is completely contrary to their current views on them.

Good point. Maybe a Netflix doc 😃

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Derick has proven himself a liability to a network. He turned on other personalities from the channel on social media and has vocally complained about money and contracts and lack of contracts. TLC won't deal with him, and I doubt any other channel is interested in dealing with his bullshit. 

• Love 13
6 hours ago, Nysha said:

They could do it themselves on YouTube, but it would take a lot of work and planning to do it right.

Work and planning are not things that they are all that good at...

• Love 7
15 hours ago, Zella said:

Derick has proven himself a liability to a network. He turned on other personalities from the channel on social media and has vocally complained about money and contracts and lack of contracts. TLC won't deal with him, and I doubt any other channel is interested in dealing with his bullshit. 

Yep, Derick kinda bit himself in the butt when he went on a rant against a child.  There was a lot of publicity surrounding his hateful remarks and I would think that a lot of networks that do expose-type stories would not want to do business with him and risk alienating a significant part of their audience.  We all know that the Duggars undoubtedly share the same hateful beliefs as Derick, but they aren't going to go public with them and risk the franchise, so he stands alone on this one and it is going to hurt the spread of any dirt he has on his in-laws.

• Love 8