Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

I would watch that, but I would want it to be part of a larger doc on people from many different types of restrictive backgrounds breaking free (orthodox jews, menonites, kids on communes, in cults, FLDS, etc.)  But, and here is the hard part, not in a tabloid or fake reality show kind of way.  

And a puppy.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
14 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Did the entire Duggar clan decide not to acknowledge Memorial Day? If so, I wonder if it was a calculated decision.

Well, unless it happens to them personally or it's a sad event they can show off in -- waving their guns, flying their helicopters and commandeering bulldozers -- seems to me they seldom show much interest in tragedies, disasters or difficulties of any kind. (Yeah, I know Jer wrote that post one time about how Jim Bob is the most fervent Good Samaritan in all of Arkansas.... But, you know, bullshit....) 

Anyway, no reason to change that tradition just because you hold public office! 

Not much room for empathy in their "I me mine" mentalities. And besides, some ungodly heathens might be involved and they wouldn't want to get involved with them.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
45 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Did the entire Duggar clan decide not to acknowledge Memorial Day? If so, I wonder if it was a calculated decision.

This is the only one I saw:

354EE78F-AD08-4829-92F5-3C48C052359D.jpeg

• Useful 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Well, unless it happens to them personally or it's a sad event they can show off in -- waving their guns, flying their helicopters and commandeering bulldozers -- seems to me they seldom show much interest in tragedies, disasters or difficulties of any kind. (Yeah, I know Jer wrote that post one time about how Jim Bob is the most fervent Good Samaritan in all of Arkansas.... But, you know, bullshit....) 

Anyway, no reason to change that tradition just because you hold public office! 

Not much room for empathy in their "I me mine" mentalities. And besides, some ungodly heathens might be involved and they wouldn't want to get involved with them.  

In past years many of them acknowledged the holiday. Most were met with snarky posts of how none of the Duggar 19 have fought for this country, etc. I wondered if maybe they all agreed not to acknowledge it, because if a couple did and a few didn't, it would 'look bad'.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 3
Just now, GeeGolly said:

In past years many of them acknowledged the holiday. Most were met with snarky posts of how they none of the Duggar 19 have fought for this country, etc. I wondered if maybe they all agreed not to acknowledge it, because if a couple did and a few didn't, it would 'look bad'.

Yeah, I do remember the snarky responses to things they've said supposedly honoring the military. Didn't remember them being about Memorial Day, but it makes sense that they were.

I don't understand why any of them but Jed! should talk about the holiday, actually. They're not public figures with an obligation to make public statements about the life of the nation. They're a bunch of idiots who are well known because they've received money for being on tv shows that were engineered to showcase their idiocy. That doesn't call for making statements about public events. But it does mean that you've deliberately opened the door for people to lambaste things you do and say in public forums. 

But Jed! probably should, though, since he wants to be a damn legislator.

And he could engineer something that wouldn't call down more than the usual amount of snark on his head....And all politicians get snark, so he should get used to that if he plans to have that career.

He could acknowledge that he's never served but that he greatly appreciates what other people do and have done and write something accurate and simple about one of those veterans he's supposedly been so close to at the veterans' home, for example. 

• Love 8

They didn't serve?...but, but, but, didn't they all go to ALERT? At least they didn't say 'HAPPY Memorial Day" this year like they did last year. They were called out for it, too, and rightly so. Memorial Day isn't a 'happy' holiday, it is to remember and honor those who lost their lives in the service of our country. Certainly, not anything 'happy' about it. Idiots.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

But Jed! probably should, though, since he wants to be a damn legislator.

And he could engineer something that wouldn't call down more than the usual amount of snark on his head....And all politicians get snark, so he should get used to that if he plans to have that career.

He could acknowledge that he's never served but that he greatly appreciates what other people do and have done and write something accurate and simple about one of those veterans he's supposedly been so close to at the veterans' home, for example. 

Don't give him ideas.  Does anyone really want Jed to get into a position of power?

• Love 2

I think Memorial Day in general was dwarfed by Covid19.  We couldn't hold the parades or hold religious/secular services and many people were grieving a fresh loss.  I don't personally know anyone who died of Corona, but I still feel sad about those who are lost. Of course quite a few veterans died of COVID.  And Lowes announced on the radio that there were be a few minutes of silence in their stores for those who served and passed on. 

It's not just the Duggars who did things a little differently this year. 

• Love 4

I really don't see the purpose of Jana in that picture or in the show at all.  Unless she is courting (which we know she is not), what is the point of showing the single gal?  She looks pathetic all alone there while her siblings have spouses and children.  It screams something is wrong with this girl.**

Also, that red background is hideous.  It does not flatter anyone.

**I just want to clarify that I have see nothing wrong with a woman choosing to stay single.  I have made that decision myself.  But, we all know in Duggarland women don't really get to make that choice.  Jana looks defeated because she cannot own her decision on staying single.  And we don't know if she even got to make it.

• Love 16
Just now, Ohiopirate02 said:

I really don't see the purpose of Jana in that picture or in the show at all.  Unless she is courting (which we know she is not), what is the point of showing the single gal?  She looks pathetic all alone there while her siblings have spouses and children.  It screams something is wrong with this girl.**

**I just want to clarify that I have see nothing wrong with a woman choosing to stay single.  I have made that decision myself.  But, we all know in Duggarland women don't really get to make that choice.  Jana looks defeated because she cannot own her decision on staying single.  And we don't know if she even got to make it.

Fellow single gal here, and I also thought she looked super awkward, uncomfortable, and out of place in that picture. Like the very personification of third wheel. 😞

• Love 8
(edited)

JD always looks like a crazed, leering man in these promo things.

so Jinger and Abbie have the tilt your head toward the headship thing going. kendra leaning toward joe. Jessa tilting her head away from Bin and Lauren ramrod straight, indifferent to Josiah, and then Jana.

such an awkward pic all the way around

Edited by crazy8s
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10
14 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Well, officially, in their world women don't get to make any proactive decisions, really.

I mean, a woman never is the one to initiate a courtship or an engagement or even a getting-to-know you period, for example. Those decisions are the province of the woman's father (and they never speak of her mother as actually being involved in the decision here....) and the potential partner. Officially, the guy asks and Jim Bob disposes. 

And, of course, women are not to hold jobs. So they also aren't acknowledged as having any actual decision power when  it comes to the financial situation of their family, a business, etc. 

Of course, it probably doesn't totally work out in the official way.  Jim Bob probably at least asks the Duggarling daughters whether they're willing to give Proposing Guy X a trial or not., so the women have a bit more of a say in some things than their official story suggests. 

Nevertheless, in the context of the official story, I don't know that a single woman is in a much different position than the married ones.  According to the mythology, I don't really think she is. All the married ones were hanging on the Jim Bob tree, utterly incapable of going out into the world and finding a man or a destiny of their own. If men hadn't decided to pluck them, they'd all be in the same position as Jana......

• Love 2

Is this TLC's and the Duggars' way of trolling Jana? I feel like this poor woman has become a running joke, standing smack dab in the middle of all the marrieds and babies. They should've definitely thrown a couple J-boys in so she didn't stick out like a sore thumb. 

• Love 7
(edited)
11 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

"Dear TLC

There are too many Duggars on this show. Please eliminate 3. 

PS-I am not a crackpot!"

I'd get rid of all 20.  

As far as I can  tell, television wouldn't be a lick more boring with zero than it is with the 20 pictured there.

And, long term, it would be much more psychologically healthy for those 20 people than their lives are and will be with continuing TeeVee Stah status. 😈 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9
1 minute ago, Churchhoney said:

I'd get rid of all 20.  

As far as I can  tell, it wouldn't be a lick more boring with zero than it is with the 20 pictured there. And, long term, it would be much for psychologically healthy for those 20 people than their lives are and will be with their TeeVee Stah status. 😈 

It's a play on when Grandpa Simpson wrote the president saying that there were too many states these days and to get rid of 3.

I mean. I'd rather the show be canceled or they recast the Dillards. But can't always get what you want. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

It's a play on when Grandpa Simpson wrote the president saying that there were too many states these days and to get rid of 3.

I mean. I'd rather the show be canceled or they recast the Dillards. But can't always get what you want. 

Oh, I remember that. An actual entertaining and insightful show! 

• Love 1

Even the latest seasons of the Simpsons are more creative and insightful than anything the Duggars have to offer. 

(We aren't counting how not to parent children as one of the things a Duggar has to offer, right?)

• Love 1

Jinger also looks a tad awkward from the waste down.

And as mentioned, no Joy, and no twins. Other than Jinger's miscarriage and birth announced, they've already aired any other happenings. It leaves me wondering how many shows will be aired and what the content will be.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

And as mentioned, no Joy, and no twins. Other than Jinger's miscarriage and birth announced, they've already aired any other happenings. It leaves me wondering how many shows will be aired and what the content will be.

An entire show about how to sew masks and delivering them to the heathens. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, PikaScrewChu said:

An entire show about how to sew masks and delivering them to the heathens. 

That's too much work for people who are adverse to work and seem to think the pandemic is a hoax. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

60 minutes of broomball!

60 minutes of family bowling night.

60 minutes of yet another family game night.

60 minutes of the ladies luncheon with random babies tucked in the corner on the floor.

60 minutes of Spurgeon quoting Shakespeare.

60 minutes of triumph and tragedy in CA.  Narration provided by JerJer.

Any more ideas?

• LOL 9
  • Love 1

60 minutes of Josh/Anna explaining why they live in the pole barn/filming station guest house would be interesting

60 minutes of someone explaining the homeland security raid??

probably the need 3 minutes on each at most - JoshUa got in trouble

• Love 6
(edited)
22 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

So...pregnancies, miscarriages, babies. Rinse. Repeat.

People will actually watch a whole season of this???

sadly enough will so the money keeps rolling in for JB

Edited by crazy8s
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

I can't imagine Covid, unemployed America is going to want to watch new episodes of Another 5 Mouths To Feed.

• Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, VioletWitch said:

Counting On Trailer: Returns June 30th

When I see you, Jim Bob, I wanna throw up, too. 

(If you haven't watched this (don't know why I did...), 'I wanna throw up' is Jim Bob's speaking part. Kinda apt, I guess.)

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
(edited)

If TLC wanted  to do something useful, they could use all their footage of Duggar births to create a PSA explaining exponential growth. 

They could call it "Duggars: How a Disease Becomes an Epidemic."

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 17
  • Love 4
(edited)
16 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I wonder if that gingerbread house was for the pregnancy she lost or the current one? Clear as mud, as usual.

And didn't Jessa say something like "There are FIVE pregnant! That's never happened before!" ....But didn't they already do the show where there were five pregnant? I mean, now there are two pregnant, right? 

Although I guess if you care about logic, you really shouldn't be watching -- or thinking about -- this family or this show....

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

I wonder if that gingerbread house was for the pregnancy she lost or the current one? Clear as mud, as usual.

She's only 15 weeks and due in November, so I assumed it was for the one she lost. But who knows.

Just now, jcbrown said:

She's only 15 weeks and due in November, so I assumed it was for the one she lost. But who knows.

They said during the live Q&A that the family reveal would be on the show, so I am leaning towards this pregnancy announcement.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

Did I miss something with a gingerbread house? 

In the upcoming season trailer, the Vuolo’s reveal to the Duggars that Jinger is pregnant by making a gingerbread cookie that looks pregnant 

• Useful 1

Besides the fact that Joy and Austin aren't in the picture, what is also NOT in the promo is the fact that Joy and Austin lost Annabell. That's telling. It makes me wonder how much they will be on the show this season, if at all. Austin didn't do anything controversial on social media the way Derick has, but it makes me wonder about Derick's statements about the degree to which the kids were pressured to remain on the show or whatever it was Derick said. If anyone is going to back out of filming sans controversy, it would be Austin as he has another legitimate source of income. If it turns out that Joy and Austin have removed themselves from the show, it could add a new dimension to Derick's comments.

Given the timeline of filming, I thought that Jinger's pregnancy announcement to the family was in reference to the one she eventually miscarried, not the current one. It looked like it coincided with the Christmas party, although I may have misread that.

At least this season appears to have footage from 2020 since there is mention of the pandemic, so it looks like they're catching up to real time.

• Useful 5
  • Love 2
25 minutes ago, VioletWitch said:

In the upcoming season trailer, the Vuolo’s reveal to the Duggars that Jinger is pregnant by making a gingerbread cookie that looks pregnant 

Modest...

A7105A32-C8E4-402B-8ED7-8E1A75D05D66.jpeg

• LOL 2