Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, jcbrown said:

To me, that would be a good thing. He can stay home. Sans cameras.

I should’ve been more clear. JB is the one who controls the show’s contract and his kids. He would never agree to have his religion be seen in a bad light and to put the kids in situations where they could be confronted in their views or exposed to something « immoral ». Also, the kids would not go against their parents that way. 

• Love 8

It's worth-noting that TLC is showing Counting On reruns in the very early hours of the day. Two episodes 4-5am and 5-6 am, at least according to the guide on my tv. Most television "stars" have a contract where they get paid for any re-airings or syndication. I would expect the Duggars see a little money on this. It also suggests TLC hasn't completely given up on them.

Both Jessa Seewald and her sister-in-law Jessica Seewald are going to be on Say Yes to the Dress: Atlanta where Jessica will pick her wedding dress. Jessa is apparently the conservative relative. If y'all remember, Jessica's dress was quite daring even by non-fundie standards. (I thought Jessica looked beautiful and I also like Jessa's dress when she married Ben.) It airs March 21st. We can create a thread here since Jessa will be there. 

Edited by Temperance
correction thanks to OpieTaylor
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Temperance said:

It's worth-noting that TLC is showing Counting On reruns in the very early hours of the day. Two episodes 4-5am and 5-6 am, at least according to the guide on my tv. Most television "stars" have a contract where they get paid for any re-airings or syndication. I would expect the Duggars see a little money on this. It also suggests TLC has completely given up on them.

Did you mean to say TLC has or hasn’t completely given up on them?

1 hour ago, Temperance said:

Both Jessa Seewald and her sister-in-law Jessica Seewald are going to be on Say Yes to the Dress: Atlanta where Jessica will pick her wedding dress. Jessa is apparently the conservative relative. If y'all remember, Jessica's dress was quite daring even by non-fundie standards. (I thought Jessica looked beautiful and I also like Jessa's dress when she married Ben.) It airs March 21st. We can create a thread here since Jessa will be there. 

What? So, Jessica's already married, the dress has already been publicly revealed, and now TLC is gifting us with this precious sister-in-law trip down memory lane to the dress shopping? What a snooze. Disclosure: I can't imagine why anyone would watch strangers shopping for wedding dresses, in real life or on TV. I would truly rather watch paint dry. So there's that.

Edited by Jeeves
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
42 minutes ago, OpieTaylor said:

Did you mean to say TLC has or hasn’t completely given up on them?

I meant to hasn't given up on them. Sorry I do proofread and I missed that. 

17 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

My DVR picked up two episodes I think Thursday morning. I checked to see what they were, and they were Joy's honeymoon and moving into the Laredo house, so stuff that happened 3 years ago. 

I also saw listings for both early hours Friday and early hours Saturday today.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Temperance said:

It's worth-noting that TLC is showing Counting On reruns in the very early hours of the day. Two episodes 4-5am and 5-6 am, at least according to the guide on my tv. 

This could be good news for anybody who frequently wakes up way too early in the morning and has trouble getting back to sleep before a wakeup time of 6:30 or 7...... Just turn on the Duggars when you wake up at 4 and you'll be bored to sleep in seconds. 

They could offer this as a service to insomniacs. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2
46 minutes ago, Future Cat Lady said:

First pic : Wow, she looks amazing.

Second pic : Your wife is dressed like a complete hottie and you're wearing that? Complete letdown. 

True.

But while he's clearly way underdressed related to his wife's outfit, she seems to me to be significantly overdressed (for lack of a better word...) for the occasion/venue.

He seems to be dressed much more in line with the way the people at the other table are dressed than she does. I see nothing but schlubby sweaters and vests, and peacoats hanging on the backs of chairs, over there. Plus, do you really dress up like she's dressed to eat a dinner with that many potatoes in it? 

And look at the lighting in that place. That's in no way a restaurant where you wear your super-sexy getup and your nighttime makeup. The place is ablaze with light. 

Honestly, she looks to me like somebody who bought those clothes but has no place or occasion suitable to wear them. That's okay but kind of pitiful, seems to me. Well, just speaking for myself, I guess -- but I'd feel stupid in that look in that restaurant. 

Although if she's okay with it, it's okay with me.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 2
  • Love 14
4 hours ago, Future Cat Lady said:

Second pic : Your wife is dressed like a complete hottie and you're wearing that? Complete letdown. 

4 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

I had the exact same thought. 

Me too!

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

But while he's clearly way underdressed related to his wife's outfit, she seems to me to be significantly overdressed (for lack of a better word...) for the occasion/venue.

He seems to be dressed much more in line with the way the people at the other table are dressed than she does. I see nothing but schlubby sweaters and vests, and peacoats hanging on the backs of chairs, over there. Plus, do you really dress up like she's dressed to eat a dinner with that many potatoes in it? 

And look at the lighting in that place. That's in no way a restaurant where you wear your super-sexy getup and your nighttime makeup. The place is ablaze with light. 

That was my first thought. My second thought was that the two pictures may have been taken on two separate occasions at two different locations. All these people can be devious when curating their lives on social media.

• Love 6

Anybody with any insider info on when the new season is going to premiere? It's usually on by the end of January or sometime in February. Now it's almost mid-March and no info at all. They need to revamp this show. I want to see family get-togethers, weekend events, holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, road trips, vacations, entertaining hobbies, fundraisers, projects, & interesting daily life not just courtships, weddings, buying wedding dresses and babies being born. I'm sure I'll have to sit through another wedding, but the next one better be Jana's or I might be outta here. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, GinnyLee said:

Anybody with any insider info on when the new season is going to premiere? It's usually on by the end of January or sometime in February. Now it's almost mid-March and no info at all. They need to revamp this show. I want to see family get-togethers, weekend events, holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, road trips, vacations, entertaining hobbies, fundraisers, projects, & interesting daily life not just courtships, weddings, buying wedding dresses and babies being born. I'm sure I'll have to sit through another wedding, but the next one better be Jana's or I might be outta here. 

Entertaining hobbies? Fundraisers? Surely you jest. 🤣

• LOL 11
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, GinnyLee said:

Certainly won't be until Fat WWT,  Jazz, and the new episodes of my beloved 600 lbs are finished.  TLC is so lacking in original content, they need some spacing between new shows.  

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

Their hobbies ARE courtships, weddings, buying wedding dresses and babies being born.

Plus, these are apparently the hobbies of the lion's share of viewers, too. Since this seems to be the stuff that gets the biggest ratings......Now that even their highest ratings aren't very high, they're definitely not turning away from the stuff that pulls in the biggest audiences.......

• Love 3
57 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Entertaining hobbies? Fundraisers? Surely you jest. 🤣

Good point. What I meant was anything other than weddings, courtships & childbirth. Anything! 😁

• LOL 9
9 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I don't watch TLC. Have they even promoted the show at all?

I only watch TLC for Counting On so I'm not normally on that channel. I also checked the TLC website and nothing. So to answer your question, I don't think so. 

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, GinnyLee said:

I only watch TLC for Counting On so I'm not normally on that channel. I also checked the TLC website and nothing. So to answer your question, I don't think so. 

Right now in Primetime, TLC is the Pimple Popping, vulgar WWT,  crying Jazz, 90 Day whatever random show,  plus the wedding dress nonsense.  And, my 600 lbers.

Too soon for the Summer promos.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Has TLC even been filming? I think the only potential of filming was when Jinger and Prop flew out to Arkansas on "short notice" for the girl's lunch. 

I mean they could rehash Addison's, Bella's, and Grace's birth specials.

The Duggars and TLC have steadfastly refused to re-tool Counting On, even as it is apparent that there are a finite amount of courtships that could happen and even fewer that will capture the viewer's imagination. I'm doubtful they are willing to wade into the Jed!2020 campaign on the show. 

And eventually it becomes the same old, same old. We all know Addison will be doing a smash cake for her 1st birthday to reveal whether the new baby is a boy or a girl. Etc. Etc. Etc. 

Kind of depressing to realize Kendra will be pregnant again within the next couple of months.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

Has TLC even been filming? I think the only potential of filming was when Jinger and Prop flew out to Arkansas on "short notice" for the girl's lunch. 

I mean they could rehash Addison's, Bella's, and Grace's birth specials.

The Duggars and TLC have steadfastly refused to re-tool Counting On, even as it is apparent that there are a finite amount of courtships that could happen and even fewer that will capture the viewer's imagination. I'm doubtful they are willing to wade into the Jed!2020 campaign on the show. 

And eventually it becomes the same old, same old. We all know Addison will be doing a smash cake for her 1st birthday to reveal whether the new baby is a boy or a girl. Etc. Etc. Etc. 

Kind of depressing to realize Kendra will be pregnant again within the next couple of months.

JerJer previewed on instagram his talking head stuff in LA. So TLC  filmed something in LA.  In Arkansas, Jing did the ice broom stuff with family and her prop.  And TLC comped one (non Josh) family night bowling event and filmed yet another bizarre family night.  Plus the Holstein Heifers breakfast. 

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

It's probably been discussed before and I've missed it but does Jed running for political office affect TLC's ability to feature him on the show? I vaguely remember this coming up during Arnold's run for governor of California but that may have been something solely for California. Since reality TV people running for political office isn't a thing, I generally don't look up these laws. 😉

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

It's probably been discussed before and I've missed it but does Jed running for political office affect TLC's ability to feature him on the show? I vaguely remember this coming up during Arnold's run for governor of California but that may have been something solely for California. Since reality TV people running for political office isn't a thing, I generally don't look up these laws. 😉

Would you please refresh my memory re Arnold? I recall his wife stepping down as a reporter for NBC to avoid the appearance of interest.

What was the deal with Arnold?

I’m not sure the equal time applies to reality TV.

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, SMama said:

Would you please refresh my memory re Arnold? I recall his wife stepping down as a reporter for NBC to avoid the appearance of interest.

What was the deal with Arnold?

I’m not sure the equal time applies to reality TV.

Networks didn't run any of Arnold's old movies as they would supposedly have to give equal air time within the same slot to the other candidates. I went and looked it up. It looks like most TV networks drop re-runs and stop showing movies where any politician candidates show up to avoid issues but it is a grey area on what equal time constitutes and if movies/TV shows apply as campaigning. 

• Love 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

Basically, if one candidate gets "favorable" exposure on a station, that person's opponent has the right to ask for equal favorable time. (You have to ask within 7 days.).

This doesn't apply to somebody legitimately getting on the news for something they actually did, but it does apply to everything else. And unlike some of the other FCC rules about this, it applies to all candidates, even for local offices like city councils, and even if the person is running in a race with multiple opponents. if those opponents ask for it in time, they all have to be given time. (this goes for all programming, including both ads candidates pay for and any other appearances)

And if the first person's appearance wasn't an ad or something they paid for but was "free" coverage for them, then if the opponent asks, they have to be given approximately equal time for free as well.

I have no idea how the hell TLC would accommodate this if Megan asked. But it's in the law and if they failed to comply, she could sue. ... 

They do not, however, have to notify anybody that a candidate's going to show up on their station. So unless the opponents find out about the appearance prior to its happening or right when it happens, so they can make their own requests within 7 days, the station gets to breathe a sigh of relief.

My guess is that TLC definitely won't broadcast any ads with Jed in them between now and Nov. 3 and may just opt not to show him at all or only show him in crowd shots. Whizzing by with his broomball stick, for example, and mostly visible just from the rear. (he probably looks better from the rear, though, come to think of it...)

Even if they give him so much as a 20-second talking head about whether Jana or Jackson is courting, they'll be required by law to give Megan a bit of "favorable" time, too, in some show somewhere if she asks....

Seems unlikely they'd risk this for somebody who's never been much a part of the show anyway.....

But...if Jed really did start courting this year and then marry before the election, as was rumored when his candidacy first came to light, TLC could have a real dilemma on their hands. Because Megan'd be an idiot not to demand equal time....and I don't think she's an idiot. 

I wouldn't be surprised if JB thought about giving Jed a political leg up by combining a courtship with a candidacy.

But maybe some advisor warned him the network could get pissed if they got an equal-time claim from the ebil librul opposition -- even annoyed enough to cancel the currently limping show!....

.Or maybe he just couldn't find a woman who was eager to marry Jed's super-punchable face just now.....

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 3
  • Love 9

At this point the Duggars are really TLC's, A Baby Story and A Marriage Story, with a built in fan base.

Other than that, they have a dozen kids at home, no current buddy system, no School of the Dining Room Table, and no making-ends- meet, buy used save the difference, stories.

The Duggars are now an affluent Fundy family, housing a half dozen unemployed adults and a half dozen school age children who run feral.

The Counting On couples aren't really all that different than the average American family (minus their beliefs).

Humpers and Haters will continue to watch but there really isn't anything unique about this family to bring in new viewers. 

My bet is TLC will continue to film them and air the shows as special episodes or abbreviated seasons. Between Jana and the older boys and the married couples, TLC and the Duggars can keep this going for a while.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
12 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

vulgar WWT

Which show is "WWT"?

1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

But...if Jed really did start courting this year and then marry before the election, as was rumored when his candidacy first came to light, TLC could have a real dilemma on their hands. Because Megan'd be an idiot not to demand equal time....and I don't think she's an idiot. 

This may not be a problem, since there's such a lag between the time an episode is filmed and the time it airs. Engagements and pregnancies are announced in Very Special Episodes long after we already know that the wedding has taken place or the baby has been born. Any footage they shoot of Jed's campaign (and so far, there really doesn't appear to be much to shoot) probably wouldn't air until well after Election Day. And if that's the case, it will pose a dilemma for Jim Bob. If Jed wins the race, he'll obviously want it featured prominently on the show. But if Jed loses (as seems more than likely), he certainly won't want it immortalized on camera. That, however, will be TLC's decision to make, not Jim Bob's. 

• Love 4
Just now, SMama said:

My Big Fat Fabulous Life, featuring Whitney Way Thorne. 

Thanks! I thought "WWT" was an acronym for the title of a show and I was going crazy trying to figure it out. And that leads me to think that I need to get out of the house more.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
On 2/29/2020 at 1:06 PM, Future Cat Lady said:

Second pic: rebellious teen is forced to go to dinner with her dad. 

• LOL 9
(edited)
On 3/8/2020 at 11:15 AM, Albanyguy said:

Any footage they shoot of Jed's campaign (and so far, there really doesn't appear to be much to shoot) probably wouldn't air until well after Election Day. And if that's the case, it will pose a dilemma for Jim Bob. If Jed wins the race, he'll obviously want it featured prominently on the show. But if Jed loses (as seems more than likely), he certainly won't want it immortalized on camera. That, however, will be TLC's decision to make, not Jim Bob's. 

My favorite part of the whole story! 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3