Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

7 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

They've recycled DUGGAR promos before. This isn't a first, and the show is still in no danger of cancellation. 

I'm just waiting for them to bring Smuggar back. That will be the bellweather moment, I believe. We all know it's coming; it's just a matter of when.

I'm not sure we know that......There's always some cutoff point for any show. It comes when they just can't make the numbers add up any longer, and they'll try to do that as long as possible....But when they finally can't, the show's over. And people seldom really see it coming. 

Don't destroy my tiny shred of a remaining dream that the Duggars will be off the air at some point before I die of old age! 

• Love 14
7 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:
19 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

They've recycled DUGGAR promos before. This isn't a first, and the show is still in no danger of cancellation. 

I'm just waiting for them to bring Smuggar back. That will be the bellweather moment, I believe. We all know it's coming; it's just a matter of when.

Read more  

I'm not sure we know that......There's always some cutoff point for any show. It comes when they just can't make the numbers add up any longer, and they'll try to do that as long as possible....But when they finally can't, the show's over. And people seldom really see it coming. 

This is true and the Duggars were fast approaching that point....and then Jill got engaged and we've had years more of Duggars.  For TLC the break point used to be between 700,000 and 800,000 viewers.  I haven't been watching enough other TLC shows the last year or two to have a firm idea on their current renew/cancel point, but my guess is that it has gone the way of other TV networks and is lower.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

We can only hope. 😁

Weren't they hovering down around .9 million to 1.1 million or so a couple years ago? How the hell'd they climb back up to the 1.2/1.3 million range? How the hell'd they attract more viewers? 

Honestly, I'm obsessed with these people, and I've never been able to stand watching their show for more than 20 minutes at a stretch -- and I've only forced myself to do that about three times, total.....

What the hell are people interested in? The fucking babeez???? Lauren? Jeremy? WTF? They're excruciatingly boring to watch -- and just their stupidity alone is horrifying to see and listen to. I'm baffled that they're actually gaining viewership. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 13

I think Counting On has been pretty consistently in the 1.2-1.3m range, maybe a hair less on some episodes. But this season, we're going to get all the baby announcements then jump a few months ahead to gender reveals and Mary's funeral. I don't know what else there is. Seems like dullsville to me.

• Love 8
36 minutes ago, Absolom said:

This is true and the Duggars were fast approaching that point....and then Jill got engaged and we've had years more of Duggars.  For TLC the break point used to be between 700,000 and 800,000 viewers.  I haven't been watching enough other TLC shows the last year or two to have a firm idea on their current renew/cancel point, but my guess is that it has gone the way of other TV networks and is lower.  

I wonder if the judge’s ruling about the Kate Plus 8 drama will have any impact on whether or not the kids can continue being filmed for Counting On?  From what I understand, a judge ruled that it was not in the best interest of the Gosselin kids to continue being filmed, so he ordered no more filming.  Unsurprisingly, Kate and TLC went against the judge’s order and filmed anyway.  Now there’s talk of Jon Gosselin suing TLC and Kate being held criminally liable. 

• Useful 10
  • Love 3
30 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I think Counting On has been pretty consistently in the 1.2-1.3m range, maybe a hair less on some episodes. But this season, we're going to get all the baby announcements then jump a few months ahead to gender reveals and Mary's funeral. I don't know what else there is. Seems like dullsville to me.

Well, apparently there are 1.2-million-plus women out there who live to see the "gender-reveal parties" of super-boring ignorant idiots they've never met. 

I'd think that anyone who's entertained by that might be equally entertained by those old "test patterns" they used to show. 

That'd be even cheaper for the network. 

• LOL 10
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, farmgal4 said:

I wonder if the judge’s ruling about the Kate Plus 8 drama will have any impact on whether or not the kids can continue being filmed for Counting On?  From what I understand, a judge ruled that it was not in the best interest of the Gosselin kids to continue being filmed, so he ordered no more filming.  Unsurprisingly, Kate and TLC went against the judge’s order and filmed anyway.  Now there’s talk of Jon Gosselin suing TLC and Kate being held criminally liable. 

I can't see that happening since all the Duggar couples are married and both parents agree to film.  There are no custody battles going on here.

• Love 6

The Sex Pest being back on the show would be the death knell for those who hate watch. 

I'm actually curious who is watching. The only thing they've kept under wraps before it aired (recently) was Lauren's miscarriage. You can follow their lives on social media. 

It can't be because TLC is some Godly network. I mean, they openly talk about sex on 90 Day Fiance. One woman had her vibrator out for taping ffs. 

Eventually it has to give, right? I mean, the Family Chantal got a spin off from 90 Day Fiance. I'm fully expecting at least one of the other families to get a spin off.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Honestly, I'm almost impressed that they've held off on bringing Smuggar back. Back when they announced Counting On (2 minutes after they "cancelled" 19KAC), I was sure he'd be back by the end of the first season, in a tearful TH with Anna, ushering his public redemption tour. Maybe they're keeping that in the tank for when the ratings drop well below a million. 

• Love 7

I feel like the biggest thing keeping the Duggars on TLC is that TLC is far less sucessful than it was in the 2000s and 1990s and it doesn't have too many hit shows to take the wind out of the Duggar sails.

For some reason TPTB, overthere at TLC seem obsessed with fundies. They've tried the Bates, the Willises, the Putnams, all of whom never had quite the Duggar level of success and their own scandals and in the end weren't much better. 

Say Yes to the Dress has lost the kind of momentum it had earlier. Trading Spaces and While You Were Out were huge in the mid 2000s and TLC brought them back and they didn't do too well. 

The Duggars have fans who've invested long term with the family. A lot of their audience is people not in the small children season of life who want to see small children around. TLC had daytime shows before the Duggars where they filmed weddings and births and those were regularly successful for daytime cable offerings. 

Three ways the Duggars can off the air:

1. A network buy out where the programming all changes.

2.  The network gets some new bigger hits and doesn't need them anymore.

3. The network leaves television altogether. 

One caveat about a bigger hit: It seems a lateral move if TLC find more fundies to film who aren't Duggars.  For example, they have a new show Plathville about family named Plath who FJ already follows. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 2

I was shocked when SYTTD moved to Saturdays but it stands to reason. They show the same freaking Pnina Tornai dresses over and over again. It is the same dress but different bride every damn time. 

That being said don't they have a bunch of shows about families with small children right now? OutDaughtered, Sweet Home Sextuplets, The Little Couple, etc. I don't think that is the sole reason the Duggars keep going. 

I think if more of the 90DF couples manage to stay together and get pregnant we will see a spin off about them. My bets are on Deavan and Jihoon since they already have an extremely cute baby and are fairly likeable. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

I was shocked when SYTTD moved to Saturdays but it stands to reason. They show the same freaking Pnina Tornai dresses over and over again. It is the same dress but different bride every damn time. 

That being said don't they have a bunch of shows about families with small children right now? OutDaughtered, Sweet Home Sextuplets, The Little Couple, etc. I don't think that is the sole reason the Duggars keep going. 

I think if more of the 90DF couples manage to stay together and get pregnant we will see a spin off about them. My bets are on Deavan and Jihoon since they already have an extremely cute baby and are fairly likeable. 

Not to mention the Facebook/YouTube “Five two Love” - quints born to Mormon couple with two older sons. 

Don't destroy my tiny shred of a remaining dream that the Duggars will be off the air at some point before I die of old age! 

There's a passel of very homely, very stupid, very lethargic boys all lined up waiting to get married. That might do it, unless the wives are spectacular.

Jana's wedding might nab them a year. (Two if she and Laura are pregnant at the same time.)

• LOL 9
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

There's a passel of very homely, very stupid, very lethargic boys all lined up waiting to get married. That might do it, unless the wives are spectacular.

Jana's wedding might nab them a year. (Two if she and Laura are pregnant at the same time.)

Here's a twist - by the same sperm donor?  Of course not!!!

• LOL 10
7 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

More than that if they are married to each other AND both pregnant at the same time! *evil cackle*

• LOL 13
  • Love 2

One of the former Big Brother hamsters (Vanessa from BB17) is pregnant with twins. Her wife is also pregnant (with a singleton) and they are due fairly close together. 

I'd actually watch the show if that were to happen with Laura and Jana. But since it won't, nope.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, JoanArc said:

Jana's wedding might nab them a year.

I've always believed that this is Jim Bob's ace in the hole for when TLC starts to lose interest in renewing the show. When all else fails, he'll dangle a Jana courtship/wedding in front of TLC, knowing that this is the one thing that the fans are panting to see. Then, almost by magic, an eligible suitor will appear on the horizon, Jana will fall in "love" on cue and the leghumpers will get their dream wedding to gush over. But he won't pull that trigger until he absolutely has to.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13

Jana is three months away from her 30th birthday. JB will marry her off ASAP.  Part of her joining social media is probably husband-hunting. 

I think Jana's wedding and first pregnancy will raise interest in the show for a while, but people will lose interest once it's just the brothers courting. 

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Jana is three months away from her 30th birthday. JB will marry her off ASAP.  Part of her joining social media is probably husband-hunting. 

I think Jana's wedding and first pregnancy will raise interest in the show for a while, but people will lose interest once it's just the brothers courting. 

From your lips to God's ear....

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Really, if Jim Bob really wanted to keep the show going, a wedding between Jana and Laura followed by simultaneous pregnancies should do the trick.  Hell, I might even watch an entire episode myself.

That would outdo the ratings for Benessa's wedding special and Jessa's head would explode.

Jeremy would lose his shit as no one would care about him and Prop.

This would keep the gravy train going though. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
16 minutes ago, SMama said:

Cyber security is one of their jurisdictions. As well as anti-terrorism, border security, immigration/customs, and disaster prevention and management.

Medic Corps? 

Wouldn't the Bateses have also been investigated if it was Medicorps?

This is going to be an interesting week. Why does stuff seem to go down when Anna is about to give birth?

• Love 6

Maybe it’s God’s way to tell Anna to stop popping babies. You are both correct about Medic Corps. The frustrating part is no matter what transpires, TLC will still subsidize this awful family. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 18

Just curious, the news link on previous post spoke with Jedidiah who is running for State Representative and he stated he "does not live there".  Where does he live then?  I thought all of the unmarried Duggars lived in the main house?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, LynneH said:

Just curious, the news link on previous post spoke with Jedidiah who is running for State Representative and he stated he "does not live there".  Where does he live then?  I thought all of the unmarried Duggars lived in the main house?

That's what they say but now Jed supposedly lives on his own in a house that is in the district he is running in.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, SMama said:

Maybe it’s God’s way to tell Anna to stop popping babies. You are both correct about Medic Corps. The frustrating part is no matter what transpires, TLC will still subsidize this awful family. 

Coming this spring - TLC's New hit show Counting On and On! See whoever is the least contaminated by the current scandal cry on camera! (and collect a paycheck).

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
Just now, Lunera said:

That's what they say but now Jed supposedly lives on his own in a house that is in the district he is running in.

Where he had to live for a year before the election in order to file and magically seems to have moved in 366 days prior.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, LynneH said:

He's renting a place in Springdale so he's a resident of the district he's running in. He must be living there with one of the brothers, but not his twin. He met up with Jer for breakfast last week, and he said it was basically nice to see him.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

Oh dear

Video of Josh playing while the news discusses Jed's campaign. And what looks like Jana, coming out of the house to deny everything. Sure Jan(a).

Not to make light of a potentially bad situation but why does the correspondent on the scene have the Duggar hairline?

• LOL 2
2 minutes ago, nightmeri said:

Not to make light of a potentially bad situation but why does the correspondent on the scene have the Duggar hairline?

Right? My first thought was, which Duggar spawn is that? Then I realized he was working, so that ruled that out.

• LOL 14