Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

On 5/8/2018 at 9:36 PM, MamaMax said:

I would think the plumbing/sewage alone would be a big expense to set up. 

Naa. I'm sure the Lost Girls and the younger Howlers would be conscripted to set it up. And they work for tater-tot casserole..... Each of them has probably watched somebody unclog a toilet at least once in their lives. ...And JB probably has some old pipes lying around in one of his storage sheds somewhere. So the materials are taken care of. 

• Love 3
(edited)
On 5/9/2018 at 8:34 AM, McManda said:

That seems relatively inexpensive, depending on how long the season is. My family's summer vacation was always two weeks camping (okay, more like gl-amping lite because there was water and indoor plumbing a short walk away and we were never in a tent) at a (the same) state park. It was a tradition stayed long before I was born because it was an inexpensive way to spend two weeks away ... but in recent years it got to be something like $32/night just for the site. 

State parks also limit you to 15 nights at a time before you have to leave for at least 1 to prevent people from staying all summer. The state park we camped at didn't allow full season rentals. 

JB is never going to get an RV park started on his property. There's no appeal - no lake, no forest, no nearby attractions. Why would anyone vacation on random Duggar property (other than the novelty of saying you did?). A mobile home park, maaaaybe, but I'd bet it'll just end up being Duggar family in the end. 

I'm thinking it'd be more like the Gothardite version of Lourdes or Medjugorje. I mean, we shouldn't underestimate the orgasmic spiritual thrill of setting up your lawn chairs and grill so close to the actual home of the conservative-evangelical madonna Meeeechelle. ....

Why, sometime at night, you might even get a vision of her missing back muscle as that relic floats through the Ozarks blessing everybody! 

Really. ... I'm sure JB has something like that in his mercenary head ... 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 7
On 5/13/2018 at 1:38 AM, Temperance said:

Wait isn't the Ark thing drowning in debt? (Pun intended.) 

Yes. As is the local community around it, which they tantalized with the promise that it'd have the opposite effect. For some years now there's been bitter infighting among the Ark Experience operators and local and state officials over taxes and other monetary issues -- as the theme park/mission and its neighbors were all drowning in fiscal crises together...... Turns out they all needed an actual ark to rescue them. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, floridamom said:

I have often wondered why we have NEVER seen Michelle wearing flip flops? She has always had shoes even before those awful wicked witch of the west shoes she constantly wears now.

Boob must not be a foot fetishist.  Her feet are probably hideous looking, too.  Corns, bunions, fallen arches...maybe even extra toes.

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

I'm thinking it'd be more like the Gothardite version of Lourdes or Medjugorje. I mean, we shouldn't underestimate the orgasmic spiritual thrill of setting up your lawn chairs and grill so close to the actual home of the conservative-evangelical madonna Meeeechelle. ....

Why, sometime at night, you might even get a vision of her missing back muscle as that relic floats through the Ozarks blessing everybody! 

Really. ... I'm sure JB has something like that in his mercenary head ... 

That's a great, and funny, visual, Churchie!!

But, in this case the Duggar-owned property which is being proposed for an RV park, is 14 miles away from the TTH, so no Michelle-sightings are likely.  (The property is described in the online article, as being just east of the Ozark Mountain Family Smokehouse, which per Google maps is about 14 miles from Tontitown.)

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:
On 5/8/2018 at 6:36 PM, MamaMax said:

I would think the plumbing/sewage alone would be a big expense to set up. 

Naa. I'm sure the Lost Girls and the younger Howlers would be conscripted to set it up. And they work for tater-tot casserole..... Each of them has probably watched somebody unclog a toilet at least once in their lives. ...And JB probably has some old pipes lying around in one of his storage sheds somewhere. So the materials are taken care of. 

Since this is what I think JB would do, although he'd probably use the older boys & Austin, it's a good thing for the community that the City has already stipulated they will be inspecting all aspects of the park as it is being built. This will require licensed plumbers and electricians to sign off on the work. 

I do think that JB's version of upscale is a whole lot more rustic than the RV communities' version of upscale. 

• Love 8

Whatever happened to the A- styled frame house or building that JB & sons were renovating? We were speculating it could be a church for one of the sons-in-laws.

• Love 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, Temperance said:

People magazine seemed to be losing interest in the Duggar family.... and now they seem interested again! 

I think it’s been slow in the celeb news world since the royal wedding.  They’ve had reality ‘stars’ on the cover a lot lately.  Chip and Joanna’s baby got a cover and feature story. Christina from Flip or Flop got the cover this week to tell us how tough it is to be divorced with 2 kids. Poor thing only has 2 full time nannies and had to sell their multimillion dollar 6000 square foot home and buy a smaller multimillion dollar home because the old place was too big for 3 people. Ya think? Very sad.

At least the Duggars aren’t getting covers anymore.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

It seems many aren’t doing actual sanctioned stories these days. They grab some tweets, instagram pictures, and bam, an article is written.

Which means, to me, that People is no longer willing to pay the Duggars for 'exclusives'.  They are taking what is out there in public and using it to fill pages.  Even if they get a Duggar quote or two, I'm sure it doesn't cost them like a full article and it may well be something they negotiate through TLC to provide publicity for the show which the Duggars are probably obligated contractually to provide for no additional payment.

• Love 10
55 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Which means, to me, that People is no longer willing to pay the Duggars for 'exclusives'.  They are taking what is out there in public and using it to fill pages.  Even if they get a Duggar quote or two, I'm sure it doesn't cost them like a full article and it may well be something they negotiate through TLC to provide publicity for the show which the Duggars are probably obligated contractually to provide for no additional payment.

I agree. The last time I bothered to read a People story about the Duggs (maybe when Joy's baby was born?), IIRC it was all secondary material, based on and citing other sources. No "People exclusive" as to content or photos. As I recall, I looked carefully at the story, to see whether or not People was still willing to fork over $$ to any Duggar. And I concluded they were not.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, doodlebug said:

it may well be something they negotiate through TLC to provide publicity for the show which the Duggars are probably obligated contractually to provide for no additional payment.

I hope that's true because I can't think of anything that would piss Jim Bob off more.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Josiah's wedding was an exclusive, complete with watermarked picture.

I’m guessing jinger’s baby will be, too.  

36 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

The phrase "there's never a dull moment" gets bandied about quite a bit in this video, but the truth is that there's never a moment that's NOT dull with these people . . .

Ha, yes, most of the moments we see are extremely dull!  Funny choice of phrasing they used!  

• Love 4

I just watched the preview. I saw maybe ten seconds total of Lauren and my suspicion that she's Priscilla Waller 2.0 was confirmed. Same breathy voice and vacant affect. Josiah is like an actor on a bad soap opera with the way he's trying to feign interest in her. 

I also notice they're trying to go in the Bateseses direction with cutesy themed couples dates. 

Poor Joy. She looked like she had an absolutely miserable pregnancy. I'd bet every dime I have that she had gestational diabetes and it went undiagnosed. 

• Love 7

I haven't watched an episode in a loooooong time, but I just watched the preview. I forgot just how much these people touch each other! It's like they are incapable of being in the same room without touching, hugging, arms around the waist, etc... It's like once they get married, they can't stop groping each other. I love my husband, but I do not want his hands on me 24/7.

• Love 12
(edited)
13 minutes ago, Booking It said:

I haven't watched an episode in a loooooong time, but I just watched the preview. I forgot just how much these people touch each other! It's like they are incapable of being in the same room without touching, hugging, arms around the waist, etc... It's like once they get married, they can't stop groping each other. I love my husband, but I do not want his hands on me 24/7.

I am convinced that is 95% for the cameras, especially in the cases of those couples who have been together for years already. They have to prove how having such a Godly relationship guarantees that you will be in a state of besotted bliss forever and ever.

Ha! Albanyguy beat me to it! 

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 14
(edited)
14 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

The phrase "there's never a dull moment" gets bandied about quite a bit in this video, but the truth is that there's never a moment that's NOT dull with these people . . .

Courtship, yay! Engagement, yay! Wedding, yay! Baby, yay! Next babies, yay!  

Lather, rinse repeat. 

Boring as hell for most of us following them, but these people don’t have anything else in their lives so this will never be dull to them. 

Edited by EVS
Clarity
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I am convinced that is 95% for the cameras, especially in the cases of those couples who have been together for years already. They have to prove how having such a Godly relationship guarantees that you will be in a state of besotted bliss forever and ever.

Ha! Albanyguy beat me to it! 

Remember that episode where Jessa leaned in for a kiss goodbye and Ben looked confused before he remembered the cameras? I had a good laugh over that. 

• Love 1

And let us not forget Smuggar and Ofsmuggar after the wedding. He wore her like wet underwear.  Did she think she’d die if she let his hand go? I can’t figure out if they’re just posturing for the cameras, or if it’s because they have no flipping clue about how a newly married couple interacts or what normal displays of affection or interaction are.  It’s not like they get to watch rom-coms or interact closely with people who are allowed to touch before the wedding nite.  They make this shit up as they go.

And Lauren looks like she’ll be the biggest barnacle wife of all!

• Love 8
6 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

But what about modesty?

That seems to go out the window the moment they’re married and pregnant. Then we get constant PDA, bedroom photos, and skin tight clothes. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

And let us not forget Smuggar and Ofsmuggar after the wedding. He wore her like wet underwear.  Did she think she’d die if she let his hand go? I can’t figure out if they’re just posturing for the cameras, or if it’s because they have no flipping clue about how a newly married couple interacts or what normal displays of affection or interaction are.  It’s not like they get to watch rom-coms or interact closely with people who are allowed to touch before the wedding nite.  They make this shit up as they go.

And Lauren looks like she’ll be the biggest barnacle wife of all!

In that case, I think Anna was just probably starved for some physical affection she went over board. Some people are more touchy than others, and I imagine if you’re a “touch is my primary love language” person, and you aren’t allowed even what we would deem non-romantic physical affection between family members AND you’re finally allowed to touch someone you’re attracted to youd go nutso. 

• Love 11
(edited)

This is the current big main photo for the show on TLC's website. It's also what I see on my Xfinity screen when I call up info on the show.

Kendra's there. Jill's not. And because I'm sure the photo was shot weeks ago, Lauren's not there. Yet.

Quite a fall for Jill, from being featured in the title (it was "Jill and Jessa: Counting On" at first), to not being on the show (and thus not in the group photo). She must be so thrilled with that #besthusbandever of hers who once bought her chocolate milk and got them canned from TLC. Or quit TLC, depending on which story one believes.

I captured this as a screen shot so it may not be the best quality:

Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 2.49.08 PM.jpg

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 8

Why do I feel like they do the same promotional photos year after year?

Infinity scarf? Check

Maxi dress? Check

Fake smile on Jessa? Check

Awkward, unnatural poses? Check

Unless these are last season's photos and they airbrushed Kendra in to replace Jill.

• Love 18
2 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Why do I feel like they do the same promotional photos year after year?

Infinity scarf? Check

Maxi dress? Check

Fake smile on Jessa? Check

Awkward, unnatural poses? Check

Unless these are last season's photos and they airbrushed Kendra in to replace Jill.

Oh, I think they probably took these photos with Kendra present. I scrolled down the TLC web page and see that although Jill and Jessa were "co-stars" of Season 1, they are using a photo of "every married Duggar daughter except Jill" to promote it on Hulu:

Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 3.09.29 PM copy.jpg

• Love 1
(edited)

So odd for a family that was always lined up in a row, never sitting close to each other, always serious, never showing any love or connection with each other. And now they have them smooshed together in these fake, happy, laughing group hugs.

Is this marketed for new viewers? Because we all know this is not who they are or what they represent.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 21

Reminds me of the Sister Wives promo photos.  The 'wives' all hate each other, yet try to look happy flanking their 'husband.'

I don't know what fascinates me about watching (un)reality shows about cults.  I think it might be partly because I'm thankful not to have been brought up by the kinds of parents depicted on them.

Joy rolling her eyes looks dumb.

• Love 11
1 minute ago, xwordfanatik said:

Reminds me of the Sister Wives promo photos.  The 'wives' all hate each other, yet try to look happy flanking their 'husband.'

I don't know what fascinates me about watching (un)reality shows about cults.  I think it might be partly because I'm thankful not to have been brought up by the kinds of parents depicted on them.

Joy rolling her eyes looks dumb.

@xwordfanatik I’m fascinated with cults too.  Any cult will do.  Escaping Polygamy and Cults and Extreme Beliefs are my favorites 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

Kendra's there. Jill's not. And because I'm sure the photo was shot weeks ago, Lauren's not there. Yet.

Weeks? Try years. I think getting everyone together for new promos, etc. costs a pretty penny, so TLC isn't doing it on a dime, so to speak. 

1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

So odd for a family that was always lined up in a row, never sitting close to each other, always serious, never showing any love or connection with each other. And now they have them smooshed together in these fake, happy, laughing group hugs.

Is this marketed for new viewers? Because we all know this is not who they are or what they represent.

Great point. I was looking at those photos in light of the discussion somewhere around here, with opinions about the relative attractiveness of the Duggar sisters. But you are spot on - they are pretty much never as animated as that on TV, or in their social media posts. Certainly no group huggin' or such shenanigans. I think TLC has a pro photographer do those shoots and I don't think it's been "years" since they did one. They're already sending camera crews to Arkansas and sometimes Laredo; a session to get some promo stills wouldn't break the bank.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Jeeves said:

This is the current big main photo for the show on TLC's website. It's also what I see on my Xfinity screen when I call up info on the show.

Quite a fall for Jill, from being featured in the title (it was "Jill and Jessa: Counting On" at first), to not being on the show (and thus not in the group photo). She must be so thrilled with that #besthusbandever of hers who once bought her chocolate milk and got them canned from TLC. Or quit TLC, depending on which story one believes.

I captured this as a screen shot so it may not be the best quality:

Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 2.49.08 PM.jpg

20 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I thought this back with the original "Jill and Jessa: Counting On" promo pictures and it goes double with this one--it's amazing how you can tell from still photos that this is a family that does not display any physical affection towards each other ever. I don't know *how* Jana touching Jessa's back looks unnatural, but it does.

• Love 8
23 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Oh, I think they probably took these photos with Kendra present. I scrolled down the TLC web page and see that although Jill and Jessa were "co-stars" of Season 1, they are using a photo of "every married Duggar daughter except Jill" to promote it on Hulu:

Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 3.09.29 PM copy.jpg

HULU has been showing Season 1 since I have had it (admittedly not that long but several months).  They need to get more seasons!

4 hours ago, lascuba said:

I thought this back with the original "Jill and Jessa: Counting On" promo pictures and it goes double with this one--it's amazing how you can tell from still photos that this is a family that does not display any physical affection towards each other ever. I don't know *how* Jana touching Jessa's back looks unnatural, but it does.

I hadn't looked at it that closely, but, yeah....there's something majorly out of proportion going on there. Since Jana's hand is forward of her body, the camera should have captured it as somewhat enlarged, but, instead, it's just as small as her feet are in a similarly sort of fish-eye lens way. Something really smells photoshopped about the whole thing the more I look at it.

• Love 1

The Hulu promo pic has to be an old one since Jinger isn't wearing an e-ring or wedding band.  

Good grief.  I did a reverse image search on Google of the one with Kendra, and Google's best guess for the image was denture cleaning tabs.  And as an FYI, Amazon has them cheaper than Walgreens.

• Love 13