Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

Mods, if this is the wrong forum, please let me know.

Bill Gothard (of ATI and the Duggars' guru) released a short-lived "statement" on his difficulties. Shorter Gothard: Bitches be crazy.

http://gawker.com/insane-duggar-cult-leader-posts-new-statement-immedi-1708747235

So "offended" is their latest synonym for sexually molested?

I have no words. Why anyone would view this pustule as something to worship is beyond understanding.

• Love 3

WTF did I just read?

[snip]

I thought I was hallucinating. I also wonder how many labor laws are violated re: Gothard's 4 AM to 11 PM work day for his employees...

The best part of this "statement": The ATI board just got a taste of how deluded (hell, insane) their leader is. Will they take the final steps to make sure he cannot make public statements on behalf of the organization again, or do they think those who read Gawker are too stupid to forward the information on to additional news organizations?

• Love 3
(edited)

The Talk (the CBS afternoon chatfest with Sharon Osborne, Julie Chen, Aisha Tyler and Sara Gilbert) discussed the Duggars today with their guest Piers Morgan. Morgan and the hosts ripped Jim Bob, Michelle and Josh up one side and down the other, hitting every point we've been discussing here for the past two weeks: the molestation, the lying, the hypocrisy, the Duggars doing nothing to protect their daughters and shoving everything under the carpet so they could do their reality show. For once, nobody was making excuses for the Duggars or trying to sugarcoat Josh's actions.

Piers Morgan hit the point that the Duggars covered up for Josh and then went on to repeatedly attack others (notably the LGBTcommunity) for sexual immorality, which is something that I haven't heard anybody in the media bring up yet. He asked the audience if they would ever watch 19K&C now that they know about this and the answer was a chorus of "NO!"s. And the audience booed Josh's picture when it was flashed on the screen.

The executives at TLC will certainly be aware of this. Hopefully, it will help to counter-balance the Megyn Kelly interview on Fox.

Edited by Albanyguy
  • Love 18

I think this more recent release of the Sherrif Dept. report is In-touch and TMZ firing a warning shot toward Megyn Kelly.

Or attempting to hold her feet to the fire in order to embarrass her into playing it straight instead of sucking up to JimBob and Michelle.

• Love 6

The girls are just that brainwashed. And they like their lifestyle. They'll suppress whatever they have to in order to live the way they have, even if it means they still have unresolved issues. 

This still has Boob written all over it. You KNOW he's getting a cut of whatever action goes down with TLC. 

• Love 5
(edited)
<sigh>

Michelle, what about the bad choices you and JB made:

-by not taking this to the police immediately

-by not protecting your daughters

-by covering this up

-by sitting on it for a year before getting "help" while your daughters and another victim suffer at the hands of Josh

-by taking Josh to a friend in law enforcement for a stern chat

-by sending Josh away to work off his "mistake" in construction

Way to throw Josh under the bus!

ETA: Not that I'm defending Josh at all, he has just as much to answer for. I'm addressing how Michelle & JB seem to be taking either no responsibility or not enough responsibility for this nightmare.

I realize I'm only going by a short sound-bite of a long interview, but so far I am steamed by what I just saw and heard. Anyone who isn't privy to the Duggars and the police report will have sympathy with JB & Michelle as they sit there trying to come off as sincere as possible.

Edited by msblossom
  • Love 5

The girls are just that brainwashed. And they like their lifestyle.

YES. They spent their entire adolescence and adult lives in front of a camera. Nothing really 'happens' if its not filmed.

And I don't really give an F if two of the victims are fine and dandy, if ONE of the other three had their life ruined we should just be OK with that? NO!

• Love 5

No matching clothes?

So this is what is in People about the girls Jill and Jessa.

SMH why would they out them?

http://www.people.com/article/josh-duggar-molestation-scandal-michelle-jim-bob-megyn-kelly-fox-news-video?xid=socialflow_facebook_peoplemag

Just saw it on Peoples site and can't get past a reaction of... Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god (and repeat). Can not believe they did it, first because it makes it "real" plus we can all do the math to figure how old everyone was which just - ugh. But mostly because nothing will ever convince me the girls had any real say in whether to keep it secret or reveal it was them and I won't be able to believe what we know they're going to say abou having forgiven Josh long ago. It's just all getting so much worse.

• Love 5
(edited)

With the new report out, TMZ Live showed no mercy. They went for the jugular, big time, and that was before Jessa and Jill were outed. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3

The People article quotes them as saying they pray that viewers will see they are not a perfect family. The hell? They assume we have all been viewing them as perfect all this time?? How humble.

Anyone who has watched five minutes of this show already knew *that*.  The freaking balls on this family.  They certainly hold themselves in exceptionally high regard, don't they?

• Love 7

I have been mostly sticking to my preferred forms of media to read about the interview, and they are predictably slamming the Duggars. Which is good for my blood pressure, I was raging last night.

Has anyone seen any news outlets not bash them? Just curious to hear.

I have been mostly sticking to my preferred forms of media to read about the interview, and they are predictably slamming the Duggars. Which is good for my blood pressure, I was raging last night.

Has anyone seen any news outlets not bash them? Just curious to hear.

I haven't. And I was actually proud of the Twitterverse for dragging them with the gusto of a thousand hurricanes last night. 

• Love 1

In case anyone is dying to know what Bristol Palin's thoughts on the scandal were.

My curiosity got the better of me and I read that. I'll sum it up for you: she basically said the liberal media is evil and out to get conservatives because they're discussing and talking about the Duggars and what Josh did while they didn't say much about the whole Lena Dunnam (sp?) situation. While I absolutely do not think that talking a lot about one situation and basically ignoring another is in any way right, how is that addressing what Josh did AT ALL? It's basically saying "Oh, what he did wasn't right, but since they ignored the Lena Dunnam thing and she didn't get this much judgement it's okay!" I don't understand that logic at all. As the old saying goes, and I know it's said a million times but it's still true: two wrongs don't make a right.

(edited)

My curiosity got the better of me and I read that. I'll sum it up for you: she basically said the liberal media is evil and out to get conservatives because they're discussing and talking about the Duggars and what Josh did while they didn't say much about the whole Lena Dunnam (sp?) situation. While I absolutely do not think that talking a lot about one situation and basically ignoring another is in any way right, how is that addressing what Josh did AT ALL? It's basically saying "Oh, what he did wasn't right, but since they ignored the Lena Dunnam thing and she didn't get this much judgement it's okay!" I don't understand that logic at all. As the old saying goes, and I know it's said a million times but it's still true: two wrongs don't make a right.

I think it's not that she believes what Josh did was right, it's that she assumes that the "liberal" media is so intrinsically corrupt that they're not capable of being offended by child molestation, so expressing outrage over the Duggars is a completely cynical political act. She may have an unusually leaden prose style, but she's far from the first partisan commentator to say essentially the same thing since this started. 

Edited by Julia
  • Love 2

1.  No one ignored the Lena Dunham thing.  Lena Dunham wouldn't allow it.  (Seriously dislike that girl.)

2. There are few things I find more annoying than the "excusing of bad behavior on the part of Person A by bringing up the bad behavior of Person B".  They're both wrong and disgusting.  I expect that sort of logic out of my ten year old niece, not grown-ass adults.

• Love 23

Wow - what a shocker (not).  Sorry, Mike, due to your "support" of the Duggars, I think your chances of being President are slim to none! 

He won't make it past the primaries (in the event he doesn't pull out even before then).  He's toast, too.   

"Mike Huckabee removes all signs of recent support for the Duggars."

http://www.eonline.com/news/663238/mike-huckabee-removes-all-signs-of-recent-support-for-the-duggars

• Love 1

Wow - what a shocker (not).  Sorry, Mike, due to your "support" of the Duggars, I think your chances of being President are slim to none! 

He won't make it past the primaries (in the event he doesn't pull out even before then).  He's toast, too.   

http://www.eonline.com/news/663238/mike-huckabee-removes-all-signs-of-recent-support-for-the-duggars

Is there no honor among Gothardites?

TPM on Huck's defection:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/duggar-endorsements-disappear-mike-huckabee

• Love 3

Wow - what a shocker (not). Sorry, Mike, due to your "support" of the Duggars, I think your chances of being President are slim to none!

He won't make it past the primaries (in the event he doesn't pull out even before then). He's toast, too.

Its a little too late Huckabee, you already sided with Joshie-poo.

• Love 4

WOW, the ladies on the Talk (CBS) just tore into the Duggars basically calling them out for not protecting the girls, for blasting others as sinners while covering up crime and sin in their own family, and for minimizing the sexual abuse since the girls were "sleeping, too young to know, only a few seconds over/under the clothes." It was very moving when one of the hosts shared that she was abused repeatedly around the age of five and how it horribly affected her. A very powerful segment.

• Love 4

It was very moving when one of the hosts shared that she was abused repeatedly around the age of five and how it horribly affected her. A very powerful segment.

It's kinda horrible how many people are coming forward with these stories.  I feel for all of them.

As for how it affects the victims, the down-playing of the affect on the girls due to age and "being asleep" is, in my opinion, indicative of how little these people - who have managed to welp so often - actually understand about childhood cognition and intelligence.  

• Love 6

The Talk - OMG, it was so moving.  I don't always agree with these ladies, but wow, they were spot on today.  I think it was Carnie Wilson who said that,if a very young child is molested but doesn't realize what is happening, does that make it ok?  The fact that this happened when the girls was asleep somehow makes it ok??

Another thing - I think it was Julie Chen who said that Josh was ALSO failed by the parents.  He went to them and they did not take immediate steps, basically they were in denial.

I think in general everyone in the media is disgusted with Jim Bob and Michelle.  I just do not see this show continuing in any capacity.

• Love 8

But what if all five went on camera and said they were ok. Not happy about it, but had put it behind them and they were less happy about it being brought out in public like this? Is that a valid opinion, or is that just brainwashing too? Because we don't know if they are "brainwashed" or if they legitimately feel that way. We have no way of knowing. But I find it fascinating that we all think we know.

• Love 3
(edited)

OK, I keep on seeing people saying this and I'm like WTF???? Every one I knew (and I'm a dyed in the wool hippie NYer) thought it was disgusting and absolutely NOT ok. 

It's impossible to prove a negative though, so they will keep on lying and saying that "no one cared" because it fits the agenda.

(Edit - Bristol's agenda, not that of the poster I was quoting!)

Edited by buffy11bnl
  • Love 3

Palin is using the Lena Dunam scandal as proof of the liberal media's bias against the Duggars of course.

Because of course Lena Dunham heads a major political group and has posed with all the major Democratic candidates for office. Just like Josh Duggar.

*Dorothy Zbornak voice* "too widdle, too wate..."

• Love 9

But what if all five went on camera and said they were ok. Not happy about it, but had put it behind them and they were less happy about it being brought out in public like this? Is that a valid opinion, or is that just brainwashing too? Because we don't know if they are "brainwashed" or if they legitimately feel that way. We have no way of knowing. But I find it fascinating that we all think we know.

Well, that's a great question, GMEL.  I don't think we'll ever know the answer to that one. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Well, that's a great question, GMEL.  I don't think we'll ever know the answer to that one.

I said in the pre-Kelly File speculation thread right before it closed - if these women have truly made the choice to forgive their abuser, that is their right, their agency and I fully support it. But I will always worry if it was a choice. Because what we do know from the Duggars' publicly stated beliefs (and their "parenting" books) is that they require their children to hug the person who "offended" them when an apology is given. Whether they want to or not. (They have said "we MAKE the child hug them.") We know that they believe that forgiveness is a requirement of their version of Christianity and failure to do so probably means hell because failing to forgive now means YOU'RE sinning against God. Would adolescent and prepubescent children raised this way actually see NOT forgiving as a legitimate choice they could make? I have a hard time imagining they would, or even could. We'll never know, and I truly hope that if they do forgive, it was freely and knowingly given, but I can't dismiss 15-20 years of parenting and how they were "trained" to look at the world and not think that probably played a HUGE role.

Edited by MichaelaRae
  • Love 22

I'll believe that when they break away from their cult. JimChelle required the girls to forgive Josh then placed the blame on them. If the girls said I forgive him and moved on while out of the I cult living normal lives then fine. But I don't take their word for it now because JimChelle will do whatever it takes to make money and get sympathy

• Love 5

I'm actually really disappointed that TLC hasn't made anymore statements about the Duggars. Im also surprised.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe they are waiting until after the Jessa and Jill interview tomorrow night.