Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

In regard to my comments about hyperbole and its expanded use, I'm not saying it's just 'kids these days'  In fact quite the opposite. I realize kids are more likely to use those terms because they have limited life experiences and no perspective in things. 

I'm saying it permeates the internet and online articles, written by adults. 

Not everywhere but in many places and many online publications. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, JimmyJabloon said:

I hate Targaryens and their nonsense so I’m not watching HOTD but dear god Aemond looks so cool. I’m waiting for the inevitable meltdown by the fandom in upcoming seasons though.😆

He’s already solidified his 100 per cent woobie status within the fandom yet he hasn’t even really done anything bar kill his young cousin.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

In regard to my comments about hyperbole and its expanded use, I'm not saying it's just 'kids these days'  In fact quite the opposite. I realize kids are more likely to use those terms because they have limited life experiences and no perspective in things. 

I've said this before, and it's not like I've never been prisoner of a moment, but nothing is ever allowed to breath anymore and I feel like it's completely affected the way we evaluate film/television.  Initial reactions are definitely important but it's become the most important to have either the first take or the hottest take and that's why it feels like there is so much hyperbole thrown around.  It's not enough to have an opinion, you have to be a take machine.  Gotta get the clicks, baby.  And like I said, being blown away by a first impression counts for a lot but have you ever experienced a piece of media that you just couldn't stop thinking about?  Something that maybe didn't seem like the be all on first glance but just got under your skin?  Then it becomes this slow burn towards the top of your list?  Or maybe it was the be all at the time and then you re-evaluate it some time later and it still holds up?  That's the shit right there.  

This might be a me thing but I legit don't trust any critic/podcaster/blogger/YouTuber/etc who says, without caveat, the whatever the most recent thing they are reviewing is is their favorite/least favorite/best/worst/etc.  (Unless of course you are re-evaluating things that have been out for a while)

Edited by kiddo82
  • Like 2
  • Applause 4
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, Avabelle said:

He’s already solidified his 100 per cent woobie status within the fandom yet he hasn’t even really done anything bar kill his young cousin.

I saw someone whining about writers ruining daemon's character because he apparently choked rhaneyra or something. Future seasons are going to be hard on these folks. By the end I'm expecting a GOT S8 level wailing.😂

• Love 1
14 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

We’ve lost all sense of nuance.  People can’t just disagree anymore; one person “slams” or “owns” another.  I remember (years and years ago) a reporter saying the downside of multiple newspapers in a city is that the headlines have to become more salacious to attract notice.  Now I look at all the websites vying for clicks; hyperbole unfortunately wins.

• Like 6
  • Applause 4
  • Love 6
On 10/24/2022 at 6:11 PM, Cinnabon said:

Just the words “fandom,” “Stan,” and “ship” make me want to tear my hair out. Goddamn millennials. 🤣🤣🤣

Only certain types engage in that kind of hyberbolic nonsense. Words matter.

I have a friend called Stan. Relevant to nothing, he's very tall.

On 10/27/2022 at 11:40 PM, JimmyJabloon said:

I hate Targaryens and their nonsense so I’m not watching HOTD but dear god Aemond looks so cool. I’m waiting for the inevitable meltdown by the fandom in upcoming seasons though.😆

I hate Targaryens and Aemond too, even though I have no idea who or what they are.  And I have no clue about what HOTD is either.  I guess I'll just go back to my Jane Austen.

Edited by Leeds
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, JimmyJabloon said:

I saw someone whining about writers ruining daemon's character because he apparently choked rhaneyra or something. Future seasons are going to be hard on these folks. By the end I'm expecting a GOT S8 level wailing.😂

The people whining about this must have temporarily blacked out when Daemon killed his first wife with a large rock.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Crs97 said:

We’ve lost all sense of nuance.  People can’t just disagree anymore; one person “slams” or “owns” another.  I remember (years and years ago) a reporter saying the downside of multiple newspapers in a city is that the headlines have to become more salacious to attract notice.  Now I look at all the websites vying for clicks; hyperbole unfortunately wins.

Ditto for the word “hate.” Hate is a strong word. Disagreement and disapproval are NOT “hate.” 

• Like 1
  • Love 8
17 hours ago, Popples said:

The people whining about this must have temporarily blacked out when Daemon killed his first wife with a large rock.

According to them that a-okay because she apparently said some not so nice things to their poor baebae. Who hasn't killed their spouse and gone on to creep on their niece afterall. That's a totally normal thing to do. Choking their queen though, that's the writers 'ruining' the best husband in the world.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 2
On 10/28/2022 at 2:13 PM, Avabelle said:

Oh, there are plenty of us Aemond fans who aren't woobifying him.  We know he's a villain, and we don't care.

On 10/29/2022 at 12:59 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

As much as the lannisters were conniving and duplicitous bastatds on game of thrones, the show (house of dragon) just isn't the same without lannisters involved 

Well, there are some Lannisters.  They just haven't done much yet.

31 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Oh, there are plenty of us Aemond fans who aren't woobifying him.  We know he's a villain, and we don't care.

On 10/29/2022 at 12:59 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

Yeah, there's a certain kind of fan that I wonder if really deserves that title. Like I have no problem with someone liking fanfic where the character's different or whatever, but when someone watches the actual show and creates explanations for how the character is really the opposite of what they are, that doesn't seem like really being a fan of the real character.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

Yeah, there's a certain kind of fan that I wonder if really deserves that title. Like I have no problem with someone liking fanfic where the character's different or whatever, but when someone watches the actual show and creates explanations for how the character is really the opposite of what they are, that doesn't seem like really being a fan of the real character.

Oh, yes, this is a VERY common topic of discussion in fandom/fanfic circles. Some of it, I think, has come from the fact that there are fans that think that if you like "problematic" or "toxic" characters or ships, then clearly that means you must automatically support that awful stuff in real life, and they can and have actually attacked fans for liking that sort of thing (we're talking stories of doxxing, harassing, and death threats and things of that sort). Hence why some fans will twist the characters into knots to try and make them more palatable, so that they can perhaps avoid people making that assumption about them in turn, and perhaps avoid that kind of harassment. 

And some of it is just 'cause they think the actor's hot and so they'll go all out to try and make them more sympathetic and woobify them. There's other reasons, too, I'm sure, why people do that, but those are a couple big explanations I can think of for that phenomenon.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Oh, yes, this is a VERY common topic of discussion in fandom/fanfic circles. Some of it, I think, has come from the fact that there are fans that think that if you like "problematic" or "toxic" characters or ships, then clearly that means you must automatically support that awful stuff in real life, and they can and have actually attacked fans for liking that sort of thing (we're talking stories of doxxing, harassing, and death threats and things of that sort). Hence why some fans will twist the characters into knots to try and make them more palatable, so that they can perhaps avoid people making that assumption about them in turn, and perhaps avoid that kind of harassment. 

And some of it is just 'cause they think the actor's hot and so they'll go all out to try and make them more sympathetic and woobify them. There's other reasons, too, I'm sure, why people do that, but those are a couple big explanations I can think of for that phenomenon.

Yeah, it's already frustrating when people think that if you like the character you can't see the obvious flaws and must be woobifying them--or when people can't tell the difference between understanding the character and approving of their actions. Then you get people who really don't seem to be able to do that!

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

I freely admit that I would be much less of a Daemon fan if he was played by anybody other than Matt Smith. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Well, there are some Lannisters.  They just haven't done much yet.

I know there are some mentioned. But none are central to the story or really involved in any significant way

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I know there are some mentioned. But none are central to the story or really involved in any significant way

Yeah, that's why I said they hadn't done much yet.  But the one on the Small Council could potentially be more significantly involved in season 2.  Hopefully.  Of course, by the time we get season 2, we might forget who he is.

13 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

I freely admit that I would be much less of a Daemon fan if he was played by anybody other than Matt Smith. 

The performance of Ewan Mitchell has a lot to do with my appreciation for Aemond.  And not just because he's quite attractive.  I'd never even heard of him before House of the Dragon, but now that I'm aware of him, I'll be seeking out some of the other things he's done.

So yeah, I'm totally a "I don't care if he's evil, he's hot/sexy/cool/magnetic, etc." kind of person.  For fictional characters.  I do draw the line if it's a real person being portrayed.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

The performance of Ewan Mitchell has a lot to do with my appreciation for Aemond.  And not just because he's quite attractive.  I'd never even heard of him before House of the Dragon, but now that I'm aware of him, I'll be seeking out some of the other things he's done.

I concur with the recommendations for The Last Kingdom.  Binging it might seem like there's a lot of wash, rinse, repeat, but overall it's a great show.  One of the most satisfying endings ever.  And Baby Monk (Mitchell) is adorable.

• Like 1
On 10/18/2022 at 1:51 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

And didn't Christina Aguilera come to the peach pit to sing?

I recall it was a big thing around the turn of the milenium to have (relatively) popular musicans perform at the show's restaurant or bar that the main chars hung out. I found it forced and interrupted the show.

On 10/19/2022 at 5:02 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

I can buy Seinfeld went to the same diner. It's close by. They did go to other restaurants at least. 

They only went to the Soup Nazi's Soup Kitchen once. 😀

On 10/20/2022 at 9:37 AM, bluegirl147 said:

When they were at a bowling alley (I think) and you see Norm opening the door to the bar and you hear "Norm!" and Sam looks at Cliff and Cliff says "He has a life".

Wasn't there another episode in Mexico where they had their own version of Norm, except the dialogue was in Spanish? 🤔

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Gharlane said:

They only went to the Soup Nazi's Soup Kitchen once. 😀

They also went to a Chinese restaurant but left without being served.  And there was the restaurant where the chef didn't wash his hands.  And the aforementioned Soup Nazi.  With crazy things happening any time they went to a different restaurant maybe that is why they stayed at Monk's.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 5
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

I concur with the recommendations for The Last Kingdom.  Binging it might seem like there's a lot of wash, rinse, repeat, but overall it's a great show.  One of the most satisfying endings ever.  And Baby Monk (Mitchell) is adorable.

Maybe if I skip the parts I already watched and was half-bored by?  I'm pretty annoyed at myself because my PBS station re-ran World on Fire a couple of months ago but I didn't watch it then (or when it originally ran) because I'm not all that interested in things set during WWII.  D'oh.  🤦‍♀️

• Love 1
2 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

They also went to a Chinese restaurant but left without being served.  And there was the restaurant where the chef didn't wash his hands.  And the aforementioned Soup Nazi.  With crazy things happening any time they went to a different restaurant maybe that is why they stayed at Monk's.

Ohhhh....every been to mindys?  Get the swordfish!  It's the best Jerry!

They actually went to quite a few different restaurants on the show.  Monks was just the old standby

• LOL 5
23 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Maybe if I skip the parts I already watched and was half-bored by?  I'm pretty annoyed at myself because my PBS station re-ran World on Fire a couple of months ago but I didn't watch it then (or when it originally ran) because I'm not all that interested in things set during WWII.  D'oh.  🤦‍♀️

My local library has both on dvd.  Woo hoo!

• Love 2
On 11/1/2022 at 11:25 AM, Haleth said:

I concur with the recommendations for The Last Kingdom.  Binging it might seem like there's a lot of wash, rinse, repeat, but overall it's a great show.  

That's putting it lightly.

I'm fairly sure we got into double figures of:

Mainly Alfred, but sometimes also Brida and Ragnar: "You've betrayed me by doing the thing you just did!"

Uhtred: "I won't apologise because I did what I consider to be morally right, also I'm way too proud and stubborn!"

The show would have been two seasons max, if they'd just run that trope two or three times.

On 11/1/2022 at 3:25 PM, proserpina65 said:

World on Fire was quite good. Another show where the put-upon women are the most vibrant, interesting characters by far, but are destined to orbit around the same, bland and forgettable posh boy hero.

Arthur Darvill, Brian J. Smith and Max Riemelt are in it though, which is good.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 2
On 10/30/2022 at 1:35 AM, JimmyJabloon said:

According to them that a-okay because she apparently said some not so nice things to their poor baebae. Who hasn't killed their spouse and gone on to creep on their niece afterall. That's a totally normal thing to do. Choking their queen though, that's the writers 'ruining' the best husband in the world.

image.png.f1e8d7b2c1ad691b7c22b67185b7f847.png

That is all I have to say about that, and the misspellings are not mine.

• Like 3
  • LOL 5
On 11/5/2022 at 11:02 AM, Danny Franks said:

That's putting it lightly.

I'm fairly sure we got into double figures of:

Mainly Alfred, but sometimes also Brida and Ragnar: "You've betrayed me by doing the thing you just did!"

Uhtred: "I won't apologise because I did what I consider to be morally right, also I'm way too proud and stubborn!"

The show would have been two seasons max, if they'd just run that trope two or three times.

World on Fire was quite good. Another show where the put-upon women are the most vibrant, interesting characters by far, but are destined to orbit around the same, bland and forgettable posh boy hero.

Arthur Darvill, Brian J. Smith and Max Riemelt are in it though, which is good.

I actually binged World on Fire in a day & a half.  Really enjoyed it.  Ewan Mitchell was great, as were most of the cast.  I found Harry's story the least interesting except for when he was at Dunkirk.

Now on to The Last Kingdom.  Still debating about skipping right to the end of season 2, though.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I actually binged World on Fire in a day & a half.  Really enjoyed it.  Ewan Mitchell was great, as were most of the cast.  I found Harry's story the least interesting except for when he was at Dunkirk.

Now on to The Last Kingdom.  Still debating about skipping right to the end of season 2, though.

I like World on Fire although I'd be happy if Lois and her stupid brother disappeared forever or were killed off. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, BlueSkies said:

I know a lot of people found the Debbie Downer skits funny but they usually came off to me in poor taste 

Not to mention not so fun if one had had the fate of having one in one's life as a working colleague .. .or a relative.

• Applause 3
17 hours ago, Haleth said:

The best seasons were with David Dawson as Alfred.  

I was pretty underwhelmed with what I saw of the show in general, but I agree his performance was fantastic and a highlight. 

On 11/8/2022 at 4:26 AM, BlueSkies said:

I know a lot of people found the Debbie Downer skits funny but they usually came off to me in poor taste 

I've never understood why anyone finds anything funny about Saturday Night Live.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Leeds said:

I've never understood why anyone finds anything funny about Saturday Night Live.

Overall, I agree, but there are a few skits over the years that, imo, have been really funny.  The ones that immediately come to mind are:

• Adam Driver playing the miserly, old, oil baron attending his grandson's school for career day.
  • Adam Driver playing a dad who wants to bond with his son over video games, so he creates a character and tries to play along with random teens online.
  • Chadwick Boseman and Tom Hanks on "Black Jeopardy"
  • Melissa McCarthy's Sean Spicer skits.
  • Kate McKinnon cracking up Ryan Gosling during the alien abduction skit.
  • Last week or the week before they did a trailer for a horror movie about who the democrats are going to choose to run in 2024.

The news updates are hit or miss.

Honestly, though, I don't remember the last time I was able to sit through a whole show. These days, I just click on whatever clips people point out as being really funny. 

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

Overall, I agree, but there are a few skits over the years that, imo, have been really funny.  The ones that immediately come to mind are:

• Adam Driver playing the miserly, old, oil baron attending his grandson's school for career day.
  • Adam Driver playing a dad who wants to bond with his son over video games, so he creates a character and tries to play along with random teens online.
  • Chadwick Boseman and Tom Hanks on "Black Jeopardy"
  • Melissa McCarthy's Sean Spicer skits.
  • Kate McKinnon cracking up Ryan Gosling during the alien abduction skit.
  • Last week or the week before they did a trailer for a horror movie about who the democrats are going to choose to run in 2024.

The news updates are hit or miss.

Honestly, though, I don't remember the last time I was able to sit through a whole show. These days, I just click on whatever clips people point out as being really funny. 

Your first two reminded me of a skit that cracked me up, which was Adam Driver as Kylo Ren on Undercover Boss: Starkiller Base.

I don't think I've ever sat through an entire episode of SNL in my life, although I'm certainly aware/seen later some of the more famous skits (Buckwheat Sings The Blues!)

• Love 4
1 hour ago, RunningMarket said:

I don't think I've ever sat through an entire episode of SNL in my life, although I'm certainly aware/seen later some of the more famous skits (Buckwheat Sings The Blues!)

The ones I listed were from the past several years, but some of the older ones are good, too.  It's funny, not long after I posted in here, someone on Twitter tweeted what they said was the best skit ever (an older one) and that took me down a rabbit hole of reading what other people thought were the best ones. I'd forgotten how funny some of the old ones were.  But, yeah, entire episodes were more often than not, for me, a chore to get through.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I'd forgotten how funny some of the old ones were.

I haven't watched in years - stopped somewhere around the time Eddie Murphy left so way back in time.  So many skits were wonderful though, especially their commercial parodies, Dan Ackroyd doing an infomercial:  "You have a bass, and you're trying to find an exciting new way to prepare it..." and also Dan Ackroyd playing Nixon in his final days in the White House, he is talking to a portrait of Abe Lincoln: ""Abe, you were lucky. They shot you".   The Blues Brothers will never not be awesome. 

But that said it was totally the rare night when I would sit through the entire 90 minutes.  Compilation works on DVD are the way to go for me where you get to watch the cream of the crop.

• Like 2
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

Chadwick Boseman and Tom Hanks on "Black Jeopardy

All of the jeopardy skits with Darrell Hammond are hilarious.  There are a few cringeworthy ‘portrayals’ like whoever did Kathy Lee & Jimmy Fallon’s French Stewart.  But then there are gems like Tom Hanks doing an idiot version of himself, Alec Baldwin’s crooner, and of course Michael McDonald as Burt Turd Ferguson.

I also loved Dana Carvey’s Church Lady and George HW Busch.

Roseanne Roseanna Danna, Buckwheat, Betty White describing her muffins & Alec Baldwin describing his ‘Schweaty Balls’.

There are many great skits, but I will always watch Colin Jost & Michael Che on YouTube each week.  They are the best Weekend Update hosts in the history of the show, with Jane Curtain & Dan Akryod and Amy Poehler & Tina Fey coming a close second & third.

• Love 7

A couple years ago we were invited to a Halloween party where the theme was SNL.  Problem was we hadn't seen SNL for decades, not since the Eddie Murphy years, so a lot of the costumes had to be explained to us.  Even in the Golden Years a lot of the skits were hit or miss.  It's easy to remember the handful of classic skits.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

Compilation works on DVD are the way to go for me where you get to watch the cream of the crop.

I agree with this. The SNL Chris Farley one is absolutely hilarious.

1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Even in the Golden Years a lot of the skits were hit or miss.  It's easy to remember the handful of classic skits.

There is a lot of memorable ones I don't find funny.  Coneheads.  John Belushi as a Samurai.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 11/11/2022 at 8:26 AM, bluegirl147 said:

There is a lot of memorable ones I don't find funny.  Coneheads.  John Belushi as a Samurai.  

I don't find Chris Farley's 'Van down by the river" skit funny at all, but I did like his Chippendale's tryout w/Patrick Swayze.

• Love 2
On 11/11/2022 at 8:26 AM, bluegirl147 said:

I never found the Coneheads funny. Never cared much for John Belushi either, except maybe for the "But nooooo" bit he did.

Leslie Jordan's death is sad, and I think it's great that he had resurgent popularity at this stage in his career and at his age, but I always found a little of him went a loooong way. Maybe when he was a young man, that pixie-like schtick was funny, but not as a "mature" man. Not that he wasn't funny at times, but it's like candy corn -- a few are fine; eat the whole bag and you want to vomit.  

As a guest star or featured performer for an episode, he was fine. When he was one of the regular cast members, it was too much. I watched only one season of "Call Me Kat," and he did have some nice moments with Swoozie Kurtz, but the fact that he was given love interests that were way out of his league was too unbelievable (they did the same thing in that retirement home sitcom he did on Fox). He was an overweight, elderly gay man. Sorry, but in the gay world, that means he's invisible, not fighting off young studs. 

21 hours ago, roamyn said:

I don't find Chris Farley's 'Van down by the river" skit funny at all, but I did like his Chippendale's tryout w/Patrick Swayze.

I liked that sketch until I found out Farley hated it.  I always thought he enthusiastically consented to the sketch, and now I feel bad about liking it.  

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

I don’t like or get the popularity of Yellowstone. I think it’s awful. The first two episodes felt like a badly done TV movie.

I've never been able to bring myself to watch it because I tend to find Costner unbearable, but one of my former professors hate-watches it and sends me examples of bad dialogue that have made me laugh so hard. I know a lot of people who talk about how much they love the show and how well written they think it is, but it just sounds like a steaming hot dumpster fire to me. It's a shame because I actually love a good Western and would have found the premise interesting otherwise. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I generally dislike westerns.  And Kevin Costner.  Dances With Wolves was the very rare exception where those two dislikes combined somehow nevertheless yielded a movie I liked, but nothing I've seen or read about Yellowstone leads me to believe it would join that short list.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I generally dislike westerns.  And Kevin Costner.  Dances With Wolves was the very rare exception where those two dislikes combined somehow nevertheless yielded a movie I liked, but nothing I've seen or read about Yellowstone leads me to believe it would join that short list.

I like Dances With Wolves in spite of Costner, though some of the history makes my eye twitch. Not as bad as Costner's mullet in that movie does though. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Love 4