Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

On 11/8/2022 at 6:58 AM, Haleth said:

The best seasons were with David Dawson as Alfred.  

I'm slogging through season one now, and I hate Alfred.  And I hope that sanctimonious, pious bitch of a wife of his dies a slow, horrible, painful death.  So far I only really like Leofric, Ragnar, and to a lesser extent the elder Odda and the king's nephew.  Uhtred and Brida annoy me sometimes and are okay other times.  Oh, and I'd be rooting for the Danes, if I didn't already know the history.

This, I think, is a really unpopular opinion.  I like Kevin Costner as an actor.  Not in everything, but in a lot of things I've watched.  I do hate the very idea of Yellowstone, though, based on the commercials.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 6
8 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

This, I think, is a really unpopular opinion.  I like Kevin Costner as an actor.  Not in everything, but in a lot of things I've watched. 

Same.  I particularly liked some of his earlier movies, especially Field of Dreams.  

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I liked that sketch until I found out Farley hated it.  I always thought he enthusiastically consented to the sketch, and now I feel bad about liking it.  

I feel less bad knowing that, from what I remember reading, Farley was misinterpreting the reaction to it--or at least the reaction of me and people I know. He thought people were just laughing at him being ugly and fat, but in fact, what makes the skit work is that he's *not* repulsive to watch at all. It's totally believable that he'd be a finalist, even as you know he can't be because he (and most of the population) don't have the right body for it. Plenty of people with "better" bodies than him would look worse in the sketch with the same punchline.

So I wind up feeling good about liking it--even if he doesn't know it, I know he's a joy to watch!

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

Same.  I particularly liked some of his earlier movies, especially Field of Dreams.  

All of Costner’s sports movies tend to be very good.  I liked DWW when it came out, but his bloward speech at the Oscars tended to sour the movie for me.

• Love 4

Though as I said I usually can barely tolerate Costner, I tend to like him much better in a movie when he is not directing himself. That's also true of Kenneth Branagh. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 2
  • Love 3

It's a very unpopular opinion in my RL social circle that I think Yellowstone is poorly written and every character is despicable.  Everyone I know is all moony over Rip and they all think Rip and Beth have the greatest romance that ever romanced.  I couldn't even get myself to finish last season.  Someone told me that was the point, that every character is vile, but that doesn't excuse the terrible writing.  Succession is chock full of awful people but the writing is superb so I am entertained instead of repulsed.  

(However if ever given the opportunity I would love to do Rip and Beth for Halloween for me and Mr Haleth.)

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 2

I have zero interest in watching Yellowstone.  I don't know if people really like it or are just jumping on a bandwagon.

I don't mind Kevin Costner.   He was in two movies with some of the hottest love scenes ever.  Bull Durham and No Way Out.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4
51 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

I have zero interest in watching Yellowstone.  I don't know if people really like it or are just jumping on a bandwagon.

I don't mind Kevin Costner.   He was in two movies with some of the hottest love scenes ever.  Bull Durham and No Way Out.

With a second prequel coming and a teased spinoff last season I think it is like The Walking Dead. A few ideas got some early buzz and the general society is jumping in now that enough episodes have been produced that a proper finale will come.

• Love 2

I'm fine with Kevin Costner.  I like some of the stuff he does.  I don't like some of the stuff he does. 

But I did try Yellowstone and only  made it two episodes.  It did not grab me but I should probably recommend it to my parents.  It sounds like something they'd like unless my dad has some kind of thing against Costner.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

But I did try Yellowstone and only  made it two episodes.

The only thing I like about Yellowstone is Beth's hair. Kelly Reilly has gorgeous hair. 

I have zero interest in ever watching Dances With Wolves again. I saw it when it was new and didn't care for it. The only Cosner film I can think of that I liked was Bull Durham.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

The samurai sketch only worked because Buck Henry played brilliantly straight off Belushi. 

And then there was the time that Belushi actually cut Henry on the head with the katana, then Henry ripped up his leg on the set.  It was "Samurai Stockbroker" and Belushi's samurai was cutting a "window" into the wall of his office for Henry's character to jump out of (playing off the then-ubiquitous joke about stockbrokers and/or their clients committing suicide in that manner after losing their money on the market.)

According to an interview with Henry, he took responsibility for the hit to his head, saying he moved towards Belushi when he shouldn't have, since Belushi was actively swinging the sword at the time.  And fortunately, Belushi's doctor was in the house, so he patched Henry up during the commercial break that immediately followed.

When Weekend Update came up, Chevy Chase (in his final regular appearance) had the comedic sense to both include the "attack" on Henry as part of the news and to apply bandages to himself, mimicking those on Henry.  As the rest of the episode went on, that became a running gag for the night.  Each cast member (including a teddy bear in an Omen parody sketch) would eventually put on a bandage, until the entire cast had one on during the closing.

And I think this led to a later moment in another Samurai sketch, where Henry broke character and the 4th wall for a split second, by removing his glasses and looking directly into the camera, to show that he had not been hit by the sword this time.

• Useful 5
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, Raja said:

With a second prequel coming and a teased spinoff last season I think it is like The Walking Dead. A few ideas got some early buzz and the general society is jumping in now that enough episodes have been produced that a proper finale will come.

I liked 1883 more than Yellowstone, well, until it ended the way it did and I'm interested in the new spinoff.  (But I tend to prefer period pieces more than contemporary dramas anyway.)

• Love 1

Old UO unearthed:  I don't blame the Buffy the Vampire Slayers for having Buffy and Spike knock boots.  Gellar and Marsters had chemistry for daaayyyss and it's easy to see the two of them in an episode like This Year's Girl and not at least wonder "what if?"  And also, admittedly, the episode where they actually did it (Smashed?) made my TV melt.  Now, the problem was that they fell in love and the fallout from that.  But as a love/hate relationship with the occasional grinding?  I dig that.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

Old UO unearthed:  I don't blame the Buffy the Vampire Slayers for having Buffy and Spike knock boots.  Gellar and Marsters had chemistry for daaayyyss and it's easy to see the two of them in an episode like This Year's Girl and not at least wonder "what if?"  And also, admittedly, the episode where they actually did it (Smashed?) made my TV melt.  Now, the problem was that they fell in love and the fallout from that.  But as a love/hate relationship with the occasional grinding?  I dig that.

The show went to shit when it completely fell in love with Spike and souled Spike was the worst. Spike and Buffy having sex was one of the more understandable aspects of her being pulled out of heaven and being depressed. 

My UO: Even with Robin Wood with trying to kill Spike, Spike (who was souled at the time) became wholly unlikable to me when he didn't have an ounce of compassion or even understanding as to why Robin would attempt to kill him. Spike did kill his mom. Some say that it came with the job (that was foisted upon her), but Spike should have understand that Nikki was fighting him because he killed and drained people, a lot of whom were innocent. Least souled!Spike could do was give Robin his mother's coat.  Instead he proudly put it back on as some sort of trophy, and then mocked him how Nikki didn't love him enough to fight to live. It wasn't like Nikki was a single, probably poor black  mother that took care of a 5 year old son and had to fight monsters without pay. Oh wait, that is exactly what she was.  Even Angel had more understanding and shame that Holtz would make a deal with a demon and hunt his ass down for what he did to Holtz's love ones. 

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Applause 6
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, Ambrosefolly said:

The show went to shit when it completely fell in love with Spike and souled Spike was the worst. Spike and Buffy having sex was one of the more understandable aspects of her being pulled out of heaven and being depressed. 

My UO: Even with Robin Wood with trying to kill Spike

I read that really fast as "Evan Rachel Wood trying to kill Spike" and I was like "Wait.  Whaaaa?"

But yes, I should have included Buffy's depression in my original post as another reason why Spuffy sex at least makes sense.  But not them being in love.  And the soul stuff was most definitely a bad idea.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Ambrosefolly said:

My UO: Even with Robin Wood with trying to kill Spike, Spike (who was souled at the time) became wholly unlikable to me when he didn't have an ounce of compassion or even understanding as to why Robin would attempt to kill him. Spike did kill his mom. Some say that it came with the job (that was foisted upon her), but Spike should have understand that Nikki was fighting him because he killed and drained people, a lot of whom were innocent. Least souled!Spike could do was give Robin his mother's coat.  Instead he proudly put it back on as some sort of trophy, and then mocked him who Nikki didn't love him enough to fight to live. It wasn't like Nikki was a single, probably poor black single mother that took care of a 5 year old son and had to fight monsters without pay. Oh wait, that is exactly what she was.  Even Angel had more understanding and shame that Holtz would make a deal with a demon and hunt his ass down for what he did to Holtz's love ones. 

The coat thing was so gross.

I don't know if it's UO, but season 7 is by far the worst for me. It was so depressive and cynical. Buffy looked like she didn't care about anything anymore (probably a result of SMG finally being ready to quit, which I completely understand, even without the Joss baggage).

And as my most favorite character was Giles and my most favorite relationship in the series was his friendship with Buffy, I can't describe how much I hate the above mentioned episode. Not that I disagree with Wood and Giles, I am completely on their side, just the way it was written.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

House of the Dragon: a surprisingly well put together show considering that GoT failed to stick the landing. However, to get to the point, there is a lot of contrived bullshit that violates even the accepted laws of succession in Westeros and logic. To watch the show, you have to turn off that part of your brain.

• Love 1

If HBO keeps making Game of Thrones prequels I would love to see one following Balerion. It will never happen due to the necessary expense but it would allow us to explore centuries of characters before, during, and after the Targaryen invasion of Westeros. We'd also get to see just how massive he got and the dragons are much cooler than the creepy Targs (who I do find interesting to be clear but they are also CREEPY AS FUCK).

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Ambrosefolly said:

My UO: Even with Robin Wood with trying to kill Spike, Spike (who was souled at the time) became wholly unlikable to me when he didn't have an ounce of compassion or even understanding as to why Robin would attempt to kill him. Spike did kill his mom. Some say that it came with the job (that was foisted upon her), but Spike should have understand that Nikki was fighting him because he killed and drained people, a lot of whom were innocent. Least souled!Spike could do was give Robin his mother's coat.  Instead he proudly put it back on as some sort of trophy, and then mocked him how Nikki didn't love him enough to fight to live. It wasn't like Nikki was a single, probably poor black  mother that took care of a 5 year old son and had to fight monsters without pay. Oh wait, that is exactly what she was.  Even Angel had more understanding and shame that Holtz would make a deal with a demon and hunt his ass down for what he did to Holtz's love ones. 

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter. It's bad enough that the final season of the show turned into the Spike Admiration Hour, using Buffy's assault as a way to "redeem" him, it's even more stupid when you realize he was a vampire for over a century, but suddenly he realized that he wasn't the hero of the story because she kicked him off of her. What? No, really, what?

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I like Kevin Costner as an actor but have zero desire to see Yellowstone (it feels like everyone I know watches it). I do love Mayor of Kingston and I read some review that said they're basically the same show just different environments. Not sure how true that is but if it is then I figure I got Yellowstone covered.

Outside of a couple of skits with Girl You Never Want to Meet at a Party (?) I haven't seen a full SNL in awhile. I think that everyone's Best SNL tends to be whatever they grew up with. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, callie lee 29 said:

I think that everyone's Best SNL tends to be whatever they grew up with. 

Yes I suspect you're right. I'm perhaps a bit of an oddball because my first exposure to SNL was actually via my stepmom's VHS collection that celebrated what I think was the 20th anniversary. That sentence sounds so dated. LOL

I just remember each year had a tape that included some full episodes. So, I have rather fond memories of skits and characters that aired long before I was born, but I still grew up with them in a way. And I do still fondly remember some of them I got to watch as full episodes airing live as a teen. (This was early 2000s. I remember seeing Bill Hader's initial impression of Keith Morrison when it first aired, and I still laugh my ass off every time I think of it.)

But the last time I watched a show live and in its entirety was in 2012, and it just didn't strike me as particularly funny anymore. It wasn't terrible and some of it amused me on an intellectual level, but I am not sure I actually laughed once. And pretty soon the remaining cast members whom I liked and remembered (mainly Hader by that point) were gone, and I lost any remaining interest I had. I think I just aged out of it. 

Now, I couldn't pick any current member out of a lineup if I was being paid. I'm not saying that to be smug or dismissive toward the current cast members. It's just a statement of fact. I did know who Davidson was when he was on there but solely because of how much media attention he gets for his personal life. I have seen select skits since then that I did find funny, but I also spend a lot of time thinking, "I don't know any of these people! Who are these people?!" 

A few years ago, I read the oral history on SNL, which was a pretty interesting and eye-opening read. Someone quoted in there--I don't remember who--complained that the show was never as groundbreaking or edgy as it likes to think of itself as, though it did break ground and push some boundaries. I think there's a lot of truth to that, and I suspect for a lot of people that's something that eventually dulls interest in it as you age and are exposed to other comedic media. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, callie lee 29 said:

I think that everyone's Best SNL tends to be whatever they grew up with. 

I didn't grow up with it in any meaningful way; I only ever sometimes watched bits and pieces while going around the dial.  Because with the first skit that wasn't doing it for me, I'd switch to something else, get caught up in that until commercial, then check back in to see if anything good was happening on SNL.  Same with MADtv; sketch comedy has never been something I wanted to sit and watch all the way through, because I never enjoy it all the way through. 

I haven't channel surfed SNL in eons.  I'll watch a specific bit online if I read good press about it, but that's it. 

• Love 4

Laraine Newman said everyone's best SNL cast is the one when you were a teenager. 
Social media will tell you that the worst cast is always the current cast. 

I tend to think it's like the hall of fame - you have to wait until 5 years or after a cast leaves. When you look back, you realize, oh, there were some hitters in that cast. 

I'm actually watching the show from #1 to present. I'm on season 7. These Ebersol years aren't the best. 

I'd have to disagree that it wasn't groundbreaking though, when you read the history of the show and the era; where comedy was in the 60s, 70s. Most of the originals came over from Lampoon and other underground comedy scenes. I don't know if the show suffered from its initial success to now. It's remarkably consistent since 1975 (taking out the non Lorne years except Eddie Murphy, really), so it might not seem as groundbreaking now. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I'd have to disagree that it wasn't groundbreaking though, when you read the history of the show and the era; where comedy was in the 60s, 70s. Most of the originals came over from Lampoon and other underground comedy scenes. I don't know if the show suffered from its initial success to now. It's remarkably consistent since 1975 (taking out the non Lorne years except Eddie Murphy, really), so it might not seem as groundbreaking now. 

I never said it wasn't groundbreaking. I just was repeating the argument of someone who'd actually been on the show who said it wasn't quite as groundbreaking and edgy as it advertises itself as. It's a slightly different argument than just handwaving away any claim the show was groundbreaking. It's more saying there was always an element of safeness that the show's reputation obscures. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 3

That's fine. I mean, it was on a broadcast network since there were literally no other channels so in the PG, R sense, you still have to work under the FCC constraints. It sounded like Ebersol was running interference with the network a lot though from what I've read. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
On 11/19/2022 at 5:33 PM, Ambrosefolly said:

House of the Dragon: a surprisingly well put together show considering that GoT failed to stick the landing. However, to get to the point, there is a lot of contrived bullshit that violates even the accepted laws of succession in Westeros and logic. To watch the show, you have to turn off that part of your brain.

To be fair to HOTD, the violations of the accepted laws of succession are pointed out in the plot.  But the logic?  Yeah, you just have to ignore logic part of the time.  As in: dragons!  So, so many dragons!  Um, what's the plot again?

• LOL 2
5 hours ago, Avabelle said:

Jennifer Coolidge is the worst part of White Lotus for me. She is awful and I have zero interest in her or her storyline. 

I seem to be one of the few on this forum that I've seen that liked 2 Broke Girls. Well the last two seasons are when I was actually waiting for it to be put out of it's misery.  Jennifer's character on that show annoyed me more then she didn't with that over the top voice she used while extremely over exaggerating everything she said. I haven't watched White Lotus yet so I don't know if she does it there too.

• Like 2
On 11/21/2022 at 11:13 PM, Jaded said:

I seem to be one of the few on this forum that I've seen that liked 2 Broke Girls. Well the last two seasons are when I was actually waiting for it to be put out of it's misery.  Jennifer's character on that show annoyed me more then she didn't with that over the top voice she used while extremely over exaggerating everything she said. I haven't watched White Lotus yet so I don't know if she does it there too.

I enjoyed 2 Broke Girls until Kat got her friend fired from a job she liked and was good at doing by filing a fake sexual harassment claim. That they remained friends after that infuriated me. Anyhow, Jennifer's character bugged me too, but I think a lot of it was the audience whooping and cheering every time she appeared in a scene.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 11/21/2022 at 5:30 PM, proserpina65 said:

dragons!  So, so many dragons!

This is one of the worst tropes in all of fantasy, for me. I never saw the fascination so many people have with dragons. There's not a whole lot you can do with them that's interesting (that hasn't been done to death) - are they dumb, savage monsters or are they conniving, calculating villains? - yet they appear in endless numbers of fantasy novels and now TV shows.

The only take on dragons I actually find fun to read about and consider is Terry Pratchett's - 'real' dragons no longer exist and what's left are swamp dragons, which are dog-sized, generally friendly but fatally unstable creatures due to the fact that their digestive systems produce explosive gas and chemicals. They have a tendency to explode if startled.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Like 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, Danny Franks said:

The only take on dragons I actually find fun to read about and consider is Terry Pratchett's - 'real' dragons no longer exist and what's left are swamp dragons, which are dog-sized, generally friendly but fatally unstable creatures due to the fact that their digestive systems produce explosive gas and chemicals. They have a tendency to explode if startled.

We didn't deserve someone as wonderful as Terry Pratchett, but, by golly, we needed him then and we need someone like him now.

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

This is one of the worst tropes in all of fantasy, for me. I never saw the fascination so many people have with dragons. There's not a whole lot you can do with them that's interesting (that hasn't been done to death) - are they dumb, savage monsters or are they conniving, calculating villains? - yet they appear in endless numbers of fantasy novels and now TV shows.

I actually find Anne McCaffrey's take on dragons to be different, and her Pern novels (at least the early ones) are my favorites.  Naomi Novik's Temeraire series is also fantastic.  Neither author traded in the usual dragon tropes you describe at all.

I'm not going to apologize for liking dragons.  You don't have to, but I do and will continue to enjoy House of the Dragon's dragons.  Which, by the way, also don't come across as strictly dumb monsters or calculating villains.

• Fire 1
  • Love 8
3 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

I like Pratchett's dragons too. But are you familiar with Shadowrun? Some dragons are certainly evil conviners, but others live and work with people. There's over a dozen, all with various goals. Lofwyr runs a megacorporation, while Ghostwalker is mostly just interested in ruling Denver. Celedyr is a technolophile, Schwartzkopf teaches magic, and others have goals less easy to define.

Shadowrun really is one of the greatest universes out there, it's terrible how it's limited to the TTRPG, a few books and games. It should have a long-running anime or comic, or something more!

Anyway, their dragons are great because they all have different personalities and ways of achieving their goals.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 4
10 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I actually find Anne McCaffrey's take on dragons to be different, and her Pern novels (at least the early ones) are my favorites. 

Anne McCaffrey's dragons are the best.  (Avoid Todd McCaffrey's dragons, though.)

• Fire 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Anne McCaffrey's dragons are the best.  (Avoid Todd McCaffrey's dragons, though.)

Yeah.  The Pern dragons were my gateway drug to dragons.  I thought being a dragon rider must  just the coolest thing.   I thought her conception of them and their purpose and their relationships with their riders was so creative.

I'd love to see a Pern tv series of the original trilogy.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I'd love to see a Pern tv series of the original trilogy.

I sort of would.  I mean, I have such vivid pictures of the characters in my head that no real-life person could compare.  I cannot think of one person I would be happy with for Lessa.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On my latest rewatch of The Office (US) I noticed 2 things; Mike Scott is almost unwatchable due to the incredibly selfish and harmful things he does to others each episode.

The other strange thing I notice is that Jan and Jim have great chemistry. I know that Jim and Pam were meant to be but what a different show it would have been if Jim and Jan had got together.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, juno said:

On my latest rewatch of The Office (US) I noticed 2 things; Mike Scott is almost unwatchable due to the incredibly selfish and harmful things he does to others each episode.

The other strange thing I notice is that Jan and Jim have great chemistry. I know that Jim and Pam were meant to be but what a different show it would have been if Jim and Jan had got together.

I've tried more than once to get into that series but I just couldnt 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, juno said:

I did always find it odd that people or the show overlooked that. Because yes, he was needy and desperately wanted friends, but was cruel to people if they weren't the cool friends he wanted. He was barely able to consider someone else's feelings if they weren't pushing him around.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

I did always find it odd that people or the show overlooked that. Because yes, he was needy and desperately wanted friends, but was cruel to people if they weren't the cool friends he wanted. He was barely able to consider someone else's feelings if they weren't pushing him around.

Cruel and really offensive and strangely overlooked. The episode where he outed Oscar was very offensive.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, juno said:

Cruel and really offensive and strangely overlooked. The episode where he outed Oscar was very offensive.

I remember someone once defending him by saying, "He isn't racist, he just thinks stereotypes are true." Which is...racism.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 7
On 11/23/2022 at 9:22 AM, Anduin said:

I like Pratchett's dragons too. But are you familiar with Shadowrun? Some dragons are certainly evil conviners, but others live and work with people. There's over a dozen, all with various goals. Lofwyr runs a megacorporation, while Ghostwalker is mostly just interested in ruling Denver. Celedyr is a technolophile, Schwartzkopf teaches magic, and others have goals less easy to define.

Shadowrun really is one of the greatest universes out there, it's terrible how it's limited to the TTRPG, a few books and games. It should have a long-running anime or comic, or something more!

Anyway, their dragons are great because they all have different personalities and ways of achieving their goals.

I love Shadowrun and have been playing or running it off and on since it first came out in 1989! I think it would make an interesting TV show, if they could do it right.

• Love 1

I don't know how unpopular this is since I'm not actually watching the show Wednesday, but my Youtube feed gives me a lot of trailers of it and I can't help but think this would have been the perfect role for Summer Glau 20 years ago. And now I feel old.

• Like 5

I don't know how unpopular this is, but I reckon that because of the popularity of the US adaptation of the show, and people getting tired of Ricky Gervais,  that the Office UK has kind of become underrated.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1