Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

Okay, okay, fine, only because I get how irritating it can be when people vaguepost about shit lmao. 

Basically I have an issue with the fact that he dated a 16-year-old when he was 24. For the record, I'm aware that this might not have been illegal depending on the age of consent, but I still find it creepy regardless, because what the fuck is a grown ass man dating a 16-year-old for? 

His friendship and praise for Terry Richardson also creeps me out, because Terry Richardson himself is a creep. "Childlike genuineness"? Shut up, MGG. 

• Love 15

Thanks for that, galax-arena.  I used to like Scott Bairstow (sp?), but when he started dating a 12 year old, he was finished.  16 isn't 12, but an adult shouldn't encourage anything like that, even if the younger person is persistent, and I'm not saying she was.   Robert Kelker-Kelly was another similar case, and IIRC the young girl was older than 16, but it was still creepy, and he didn't work much after that.

Edited by atomationage
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, festivus said:

I gave up Criminal Minds years ago but I want to know too. My feeling is that you should not have to defend your unpopular opinion in this thread. 

You would think so, but I understand why some are hesitant - there has been pushback on some opinions posted here.  

• Love 4

I'm sure I've occasionally been guilty about that sort of pushback (or at least disagreement)! It's not that I think disagreeing with someone's opinion in this thread is inherently bad - sometimes it can lead to interesting discussions - it's just that this particular subject (i.e. dating creepiness and Terry Richardson) wasn't something I wanted to get into, haha. It's such a polarizing topic. 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

You would think so, but I understand why some are hesitant - there has been pushback on some opinions posted here.

Yeah I get why people don't want to post them. I have lots of unpopular opinions and I feel like if I post them here or in other unpopular opinion threads then I'm not going to defend them. Honestly I'm just going to ignore anyone who calls it out. I like seeing people's UO even though I don't agree with a lot of them so I wouldn't want to argue with them here.

So back to MGG. I watched Criminal Minds longer than I should have because I liked his character and I love Paget Brewster. I never knew anything about him personally but yeah I gotta say I think it's creepy for a 24 year old to date someone 16. I have a 24 year old son and I couldn't imagine him doing that.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, atomationage said:

Thanks for that, galax-arena.  I used to like Scott Bairstow (sp?), but when he started dating a 12 year old, he was finished.  16 isn't 12, but an adult shouldn't encourage anything like that, even if the younger person is persistent, and I'm not saying she was.   Robert Kelker-Kelly was another similar case, and IIRC the young girl was older than 16, but it was still creepy, and he didn't work much after that.

You're talking about RKK's former Days of our Lives co star, Miriam Parrish (Jamie Caldwell--Sami Brady's best friend as a teen). They have always maintained that they only started dating once she was 18 (they started to get close--I shit you not--when he began helping her with her English homework on the set. No seriously, I read that before.), but considering that they apparently went public with their relationship on her 18th birthday? Yeah, I'm calling bullshit on that, even though that obviously doesn't mean that there was any statutory rape involved or anything (And he has a history in soaps with being inappropriate with his female co stars--Alison Sweeney (Sami)'s mother took her off the show for about a month in 1995 until RKK was finally fired. She's about the same age as MP.).

OTOH, RKK and MP will be celebrating their 20th wedding anniversary next year, and from what I found out, they live in the St. Louis area, and he's an airplane mechanic, so there you go. *shrug* 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, UYI said:

You're talking about RKK's former Days of our Lives co star, Miriam Parrish (Jamie Caldwell--Sami Brady's best friend as a teen). They have always maintained that they only started dating once she was 18 (they started to get close--I shit you not--when he began helping her with her English homework on the set. No seriously, I read that before.), but considering that they apparently went public with their relationship on her 18th birthday? Yeah, I'm calling bullshit on that, even though that obviously doesn't mean that there was any statutory rape involved or anything (And he has a history in soaps with being inappropriate with his female co stars--Alison Sweeney (Sami)'s mother took her off the show for about a month in 1995 until RKK was finally fired. She's about the same age as MP.).

4 hours ago, atomationage said:

Scandal! I used to watch Days back in the 90s, and didn't know about this.  Certainly explains why Robert Kelker-Kelly (who I thought was yummy at the time) wasn't seen much after his stint. 

• Love 1

I think RKK played a living dead Stavros Cassidine on General Hospital after his stint on DAYS.   His character "killed" Luke,  IIRC, by shoving him into a hole so deep it went all the way to China,(joking) and Luke later returned.  I have no memory of the explanation for that.   Coltin Scott/Stephen Martines played his son Nikolas back then.

Edited by atomationage
spelling
39 minutes ago, atomationage said:

I think RKK played a living dead Stavros Cassidine on General Hospital after his stint on DAYS.   His character "killed" Luke,  IIRC, by shoving him into a hole so deep it went all the way to China,(joking) and Luke later returned.  I have no memory of the explanation for that.   Coltin Scott/Stephen Martines played his son Nikolas back then.

I do: Jill Farren Phelps, the show's EP at the time, loved RKK and found an excuse to get him on the show.

Topic?

I think even later seasons of TV shows are capable of some enjoyable episodes. Some of my favorite episodes of The Facts of Life are from after Mrs. G is gone.

• Love 7

I've gone from once liking Gilmore Girls' Luke to feeling increasingly ambivalent about him to feeling a lot worse than ambivalent and from actually semi-shipping him with Lorelai to liking him only as a friend to Lorelai/uncle to Jess to not even liking him much in those contexts. And recent rewatches have solidified my most unpopular opinion ever: I hate Luke Danes. To me he's a boorish brute, he's rude, he's alarmingly angry and temperamental, he's somehow too passive, too aggressive AND too passive-aggressive in all the worst ways, he's joyless and humorless, he's dreadfully dull, he's one of the most ghastly communicators I've ever seen, he's dopey, he's too often not honest with himself or others, he's bitter, he's petulant, he's jealous, he's depressing, he never apologizes or even deigns to acknowledge his many, many, many problems and mistakes. He's just a thoroughly unpleasant, toxic person who usually has absolutely NO reason to be, and the fact that once or twice a year he'll make you something or help fix an appliance doesn't come close to making up for all that's wrong with him to me. And the more many revere him and merrily disregard his MANY serious flaws, the more I find myself disliking him, because apparently I can be just as immature as most GG characters when it comes to these things ;) 

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, Gudzilla said:

I'm so sick of this story that hasn't even happened yet.  I'm hoping Negan hit his own damn head with that bat.

I don't even watch the show and I'm sick of hearing about it.

• Love 5

This must be unpopular since there are so many of them, but I can't stand fight scenes. Or chase scenes.

I assume I'm supposed to feel anxious, excited, tense, worried, thrilled ... anything other than completely bored. I can't fast-forward fast enough.

• Love 7
On 9/2/2016 at 10:58 AM, atomationage said:

On 9/2/2016 at 2:02 PM, UYI said:

OTOH, RKK and MP will be celebrating their 20th wedding anniversary next year, and from what I found out, they live in the St. Louis area, and he's an airplane mechanic, so there you go. *shrug* 

Wow, I didn't know about either of them. I was put off by Paul Walker dating a teenager - I think she was sixteen when they started going out. 

On 9/15/2016 at 5:19 PM, Gudzilla said:

I'm so sick of this story that hasn't even happened yet.  I'm hoping Negan hit his own damn head with that bat.

I've been sick of it for years. I've complained about it in the Walking Dead forum more than once. 

On 9/15/2016 at 11:14 PM, lordonia said:

This must be unpopular since there are so many of them, but I can't stand fight scenes. Or chase scenes.

I assume I'm supposed to feel anxious, excited, tense, worried, thrilled ... anything other than completely bored. I can't fast-forward fast enough.

I usually feel the same way. I zone out during most of them. 

On 9/15/2016 at 7:16 PM, Shannon L. said:

Grey's Anatomy is still on the air?!  How old is it now?

It started airing almost twelve years ago, early 2005. 

• Love 2

Unpopular Opinion: I loathe discussing media/fandom/shipping in 'mainstream' settings,  as an audience member of color, because far too often we're expected to ignore entrenched systemic inequality to 'keep the peace.'

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Anela said:
On 9/15/2016 at 4:16 PM, Shannon L. said:

Grey's Anatomy is still on the air?!  How old is it now?

It started airing almost twelve years ago, early 2005. 

Ok, thanks.  It's not quite as old as I thought it was, but damn......

• Love 1
On 9/2/2016 at 3:18 PM, ribboninthesky1 said:

Scandal! I used to watch Days back in the 90s, and didn't know about this.  Certainly explains why Robert Kelker-Kelly (who I thought was yummy at the time) wasn't seen much after his stint. 

A friend of mine met him on the Another World set during his second go round in the mid-90s and she said when she was introduced to him, he simply said, "Welcome to hell." and strode off lol.  I met him when he was on GH and he was happy to talk about his time on Another World, but refused to answer any questions about Days.  I wanted to say, "Because of the whole banging-your-teen-costar thing?" but he was rather intimidating and I didn't dare.

• Love 3

Awards Show UO:  I love when the In Memoriam tribute is accompanied by a live vocal performance.  There is something about the human voice that makes that moment poignant; before there were instruments and orchestras, we expressed our grief with our naked voices.  (Now, if they would give some actual thought to the lyrics of the song they choose, that would be great (looking at you, Hallelujah).)

• Love 9
On 9/15/2016 at 11:14 PM, lordonia said:

I quit Daredevil because of the endless fight scenes. They just went on soooo looooong.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

I'm indifferent as well, but I was highly amused at her temper tantrum over Strahan leaving. That said, I've never understood his appeal at all.  

Oh, I think he's charming and handsome. But there's also something smarmy about him--like he knows how to turn on the charm but can be a big asshole in his real life. Maybe I know too much about the nastiness of his most recent divorce and his break up from...someone else's ex-wife (Eddie Murphy? Babyface? Deion Sanders? Martin Lawrence?). I'm not kidding--these guys trade women, and I can't remember his ex-fiancee's name. And I'm too lazy to google it. 

My UO: I'm proud of Amy Schumer's career. I know some people don't like her comedy, and I do agree that she's over-exposed. And she's been lauded as this feminist, when I don't think that's always true. She does have some pro-woman sketches on her show: "Her Last F***able day" comes to mind. But I remember first seeing her as an up-and-coming comedian on "Last Comic Standing." She's made some great career moves since then. 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, topanga said:

But there's also something smarmy about him--like he knows how to turn on the charm but can be a big asshole in his real life.

Yep, pretty much, except I don't find him charming. I think it was Nicole Murphy he was with once upon a time. 

Edited by ribboninthesky1
  • Love 3

http://screencrush.com/netflix-originals-fifty-percent/

Netflix wants fifty percent of its streaming service to be original content.  I very well may eat theses words but I don't know how good of an idea that is.  Talk about saturating the market.  I suppose as long as the price stays cheap enough people will keep their subscriptions even for just one or two shows but still, starting a new series is a commitment.  How committed can people be expected to be?

Edited by kiddo82
"Its"/"It's"
  • Love 5
19 minutes ago, kiddo82 said:

Talk about saturating the market.

I'm already saturated.  All Netflix is interested in is trying to  compete with Amazon Prime and other services.  They're like cable tv channels.  There's a million of them, and most of them only have 1 program that I would want to watch.   I kid you not, I have way over 3000 hours of tv shows and movies saved on hard drives that I haven't even watched yet, or that I've already watched but won't delete yet until I re-watch one more time, or that I've watched a little bit, and will watch more later.  I haven't had time to watch anything on Hulu for 6 months. 

Edited by atomationage
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

UO: I hate Portlandia. And I hate Broad City even more.

I've seen snippets of Portlandia and I liked them; I just wonder if I can handle watching entire episodes.

And total word on Broad City. I watched several episodes and gave up in disgust. I especially hate the curly-haired one. How she keeps a job or has a guy who actually wants to be more than a "Friend With Benefits" is beyond me.

Edited by Bookish Jen
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, kiddo82 said:

http://screencrush.com/netflix-originals-fifty-percent/

Netflix wants fifty percent of its streaming service to be original content.  I very well may eat theses words but I don't know how good of an idea that is.  Talk about saturating the market.  I suppose as long as the price stays cheap enough people will keep their subscriptions even for just one or two shows but still, starting a new series is a commitment.  How committed can people be expected to be?

That's not even the flaw I see. People were paying for Netflix long before they started creating original content. I don't know what it costs Netflix to get the rights to an existing show or a movie but it has to be less expensive than producing their own content. Netflix gets the same amount of money from me every month if I watch Jessica Jones or I watch That 70s Show. I guess their hope is with more original content they'll appeal to a wider audience and get more people to subscribe but it's hard to say if that will work. Because there are so many Netflix Originals now, they don't get the press they once used to get. Orange is the New Black and Hosue of Cards were events when they first happened. Now, I get an email from Netflix every week promoting a new original show.

• Love 11

That's just it there is a Netflix Original for almost everyone's taste.  You like gritty drama well I got that for you.  You like high concept comedy, low brow comedy or even family comedy and you can probably find it.  Netflix is trying to appeal to the everyone's taste and that is both good and bad because well I might not want to pay for  your comedy and I am selfish but God how I love their drama.   

There is also a butt load of science fiction and super hero stuff so good for them.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, vibeology said:

That's not even the flaw I see. People were paying for Netflix long before they started creating original content. I don't know what it costs Netflix to get the rights to an existing show or a movie but it has to be less expensive than producing their own content. Netflix gets the same amount of money from me every month if I watch Jessica Jones or I watch That 70s Show. I guess their hope is with more original content they'll appeal to a wider audience and get more people to subscribe but it's hard to say if that will work.

Exactly.  I guess that was also part of my point before.  Right now, for a lot of people I'd gather, $10 a month for Netflix isn't a terrible add on if you're a traditional cable subscriber and a damn steal if you're a cord cutter.  It's cheaper than HBO or actually going to the movies and you can watch whatever you want from the catalogue whenever you want.  And while there's a fair share of must see type content (original and otherwise) how can you really take advantage of everything (or even want to)?  So while I feel like I personally can justify $9.99 worth of entertainment a month, what happens when $9.99 becomes $19.99 becomes $24.99 becomes $39.99?  You're now getting into a territory where want vs need gets assessed particularly as the content becomes more diluted because it will.  And why would I want to pay more and more for more content I'm not interested in?  It's literally the same problem people are having with the traditional cable model.  Not everything will be House of Cards or Kimmy Schmidt, and not everything has to be, but at the current price point most people probably already feel they are getting what they pay for.  Prices will rise inevitably (they just did), but I feel like this will this will expedite the process and leave people feeling as if they are getting less for more.  The thing Amazon Prime has going for it is the free 2 day shipping.  Even without the streaming options people can still be attracted to that as long as they feel it's cost effective.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 6
59 minutes ago, kiddo82 said:

So while I feel like I personally can justify $9.99 worth of entertainment a month, what happens when $9.99 becomes $19.99 becomes $24.99 becomes $39.99?  You're now getting into a territory where want vs need gets assessed particularly as the content becomes more diluted because it will.

Good point.  I'm notorious for renewing my Netflix and Hulu accounts only when they're offering a free trial period, but I keep my Prime subscription because there are other benefits besides video-streaming. My cable package is part of my apartment lease agreement, so I'm stuck with it.  I'm not interested in paying additional money for these other streaming services, especially Netflix. I think Hulu is going the smarter route in partnering with Time Warner and strategizing to replace traditional cable. 

As already stated, there's so much content out there, and only so much time to watch it.  I know people who have all of these paid subscriptions, but rarely have time to watch most of it.  Not sure it's any more cost-effective than having traditional cable service when you add it all up (and mind you, most people still have to pay for Internet on top of everything else).

ETA: 

Related to the saturation of content - I think TPTB are missing that people like to socialize and discuss their favorites.  With ever increasing quantity, people's attention spans become more fractured, and social groups bonding over shows become smaller.  There will probably always be the "cool kid" shows, but people won't care to watch them because there are so many, and few will care. 

Edited by ribboninthesky1
  • Love 2

I've seen snippets of Portlandia and I liked them; I just wonder if I can handle watching entire episodes.

Maybe--isn't it different every time? Maybe I'm not being fair to it? 

I miss when Netflix just mailed me dvds.

Ugh, I don't. By my calculations, I was spending $30 to watch a movie...because I'd put the DVD down on the coffee table and forget about it for weeks! And inevitably on the times I did try to watch one right away, it would be the one in 100 that wouldn't play or had a scratch in it! 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1

As long as Netflix and Hulu offer the opportunity to start and stop service with no penalty, and if they continue releasing all series episodes at once, I can easily watch any buzzy original content for $8.99 and then just shut my subscription off until the next time.

I'd be thrilled if Netflix and others simply added to their, IMO, somewhat meager catalog of older shows. There are lots of series I'd like to catch up on that aren't included on any of the streaming services, or that are only available for an additional fee.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 3

I have Amazon Prime, Hulu and Netflix along with my home phone and internet and it's much cheaper for me than when I had cable. So I think that as long as Netflix remains at a low price, they could potentially gain more customers if their original content offers a little of everything to everyone.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Bastet said:

Yep - I still get DVDs (and don't have streaming).

Good to know.  I dropped Netflix a couple of years ago because I couldn't afford even the "dvd only" fee at the time.

14 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Maybe--isn't it different every time? Maybe I'm not being fair to it? 

Ugh, I don't. By my calculations, I was spending $30 to watch a movie...because I'd put the DVD down on the coffee table and forget about it for weeks! And inevitably on the times I did try to watch one right away, it would be the one in 100 that wouldn't play or had a scratch in it! 

I was pretty good about watching the dvd right away and sending it back.  I only got one at a time, so that helped.  Although there was one Nicolaj Coster-Waldau movie which I had for awhile because I thought it was in Danish and I couldn't get in the right mindset for a foreign film.  (Turns out it was in English but was really depressing.)

I can relate. I'm a copy editor so there are many times that I just flat-out do not want subtitles after hours of reading at work. Plus, I have this weird need to scrutinize the background of movies so I don't want to look at text! (I also have aesthetics issues too; sometimes I don't want to see a movie because of some visual thing that isn't appealing to me, for example, that silvery-greenish, somewhat grimy, patina-like tint that a lot of sci-fi has.)

I haven't browsed Netflix's genres lately but what used to bug me was that one category was called simply "foreign." "Foreign" is not a genre--there can be foreign romance, foreign horror, foreign comedy, etc. A person who likes love stories but hates murder cannot just blindly grab a "foreign" movie, haha!

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Bookish Jen said:

And total word on Broad City. I watched several episodes and gave up in disgust. I especially hate the curly-haired one. How she keeps a job or has a guy who actually wants to be more than a "Friend With Benefits" is beyond me.

I like Broad City, but don't find Illana (the curly haired one) funny at all. She is just too much. To me, the show is all about the awkward Abby moments. And Lincoln, but it is really hard not to like Lincoln.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Janet Snakehole said:

I like Broad City, but don't find Illana (the curly haired one) funny at all. She is just too much. To me, the show is all about the awkward Abby moments. And Lincoln, but it is really hard not to like Lincoln.

Good point. Illana is really off-putting and disgusting. But sometimes I like Abby at her more dorky moments like at work or when she was a that party and she and another friend hooked up with those DJs. That made me laugh and cringe at the same time. I've had those moments.

But Illana is just lazy, ignorant, sloppy, not something I can relate to or find funny at all. So seriously, what does Lincoln see in her? Why would he want to have an actual relationship with her? It's baffling. It's not like Illana is the only available woman in NYC.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

Exactly.  I guess that was also part of my point before.  Right now, for a lot of people I'd gather, $10 a month for Netflix isn't a terrible add on if you're a traditional cable subscriber and a damn steal if you're a cord cutter.  It's cheaper than HBO or actually going to the movies and you can watch whatever you want from the catalogue whenever you want.  And while there's a fair share of must see type content (original and otherwise) how can you really take advantage of everything (or even want to)?  So while I feel like I personally can justify $9.99 worth of entertainment a month, what happens when $9.99 becomes $19.99 becomes $24.99 becomes $39.99?  You're now getting into a territory where want vs need gets assessed particularly as the content becomes more diluted because it will.  And why would I want to pay more and more for more content I'm not interested in?  It's literally the same problem people are having with the traditional cable model.  Not everything will be House of Cards or Kimmy Schmidt, and not everything has to be, but at the current price point most people probably already feel they are getting what they pay for.  Prices will rise inevitably (they just did), but I feel like this will this will expedite the process and leave people feeling as if they are getting less for more.  The thing Amazon Prime has going for it is the free 2 day shipping.  Even without the streaming options people can still be attracted to that as long as they feel it's cost effective.

My biggest worry is with that much original content the chances of crap getting developed become a lot bigger. It is easy for nextflix to put out great shows when they only put out one or new shows a year. What happens when they have their first bomb?

• Love 2