Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

Since this is the topic of a Netflix series and numerous TV specials, I think the Steven Avery case is fair game to be mentioned in this forum.

My UO is that I am appalled that what happened to Teresa Halbach is being marginalized while people are forming an opinion of the verdict and of law enforcement. To a certain degree I think she has become less of a real person to many and more of an instrument to prove or disprove Avery's innocence or guilt.

My UO is not condoning any alleged framing, cover up, crime, sinister deed, or pure incompetence on either side of the fence. Basically, I am not expressing my opinion in anyway on case's outcome. My post is about Teresa.

Not to disagree but to play Devil's advocate: isn't that what happens when a trial gets so much attention? Look at the OJ debacle which is now become a tv series. Even before it did it became less about Nicole Brown Simpson and more about OJ and his skin color, fame and money. The same can be said for Avery. It is less about Teresa Halbach which is a terrible tragedy and crime no matter how you spell it out but putting an innocent man in prison doesn't give her justice (if you believe he is innocent).

My belief is that his trial should have been federal. If the people who are trying to put you in prison are the same people you are suing for falsely putting you in prison the first time there is a problem.

• Love 1

@Chaos Theory, I cannot quote using my work computer, so I will just respond.

For Avery change out his name with any high-profile alleged criminal and with Halbach change her name to any victim. You are right that it happens with any high-profile case, but, imo, this  case focus is on two noncelebrities and rich people but still seems to be receiving more focus than other cases like it that fade away. Sure! It is due to the documentary. That is neither here nor there.

I purposely placed in my disclaimer so people would not retort back and think that I was saying this gives X the right to railroad Y. I just wanted to focus on the person that it cannot be debated really got a raw deal: Teresa.

Again, I am not saying that others have or haven't gotten a raw deal in this case. Part of my point is that you cannot express sadness for Teresa w/o mentioning Avery. Anywho, that is my UO.

• Love 3

I think Uzo Aduba has become overrated in a lot of ways.  She had become more of the "face" of OITNB and although it is actually nice to have a POC face on a multi-racial show.  She got overshadowed this season by many other characters.  She most certainly deserved accolades in season 1 and her turn in season 2 was fabulous but even if you are just talking POC actresses there are those who are more deserving of awards then her in season 3.  Selenis Leyva & Laverne Cox had breakout performances.    But hey like I said it is nice to have a POC as one of the main faces of the show i just wish it was one of the more deserving ones this season.  

I think it might have something to do with the "type" of character Uzo has been playing. 

My belief is that his trial should have been federal. If the people who are trying to put you in prison are the same people you are suing for falsely putting you in prison the first time there is a problem.

That's when your defense attorney files for a change of venue to another part of the state.  Not sure that federal officials would have any grounds for taking over a trial like this under our system of justice; there are specific circumstances required and I'm not sure whether this case would qualify.

On to my possibly unpopular opinion: I like this season of Downton Abbey.  Hell, I've liked every season.  I've never considered it anything but a high-class, well-dressed soap opera, so I just roll with it.

• Love 2

That's when your defense attorney files for a change of venue to another part of the state.  Not sure that federal officials would have any grounds for taking over a trial like this under our system of justice; there are specific circumstances required and I'm not sure whether this case would qualify.

Murder is not a federal crime unless it involves crossing state lines, is done for hire, or the victim is a federal official.  

I looked back a few pages and didn't see this mentioned but maybe it was and possibly by me but I don't mind American remakes of British shows. Sometimes as in the case of Shameless and Being Human they turn out better. I wouldn't mind if the Brits remaid a popular American show if they were so inclined.

Shameless UK was good until the main cast began to leave and the same for BH UK. Keeping the main cast whole is what I liked about Being Human the American Version and it allowed the show to tells quite moving love story.

• Love 6

I don't mind American remakes of British shows. Sometimes as in the case of Shameless and Being Human they turn out better.

That does seem like a UO! I usually haven't seen any of the original U.K. shows, but It would be nice if U.S. remakes could be judged on their own merits. The constant carping of "the Brits did it so much better!" can be a bit tiresome.

• Love 9

It's not so much that the Brits did it better, it's the seeming lack of creativity and just jumping on a trend. It's the same derision I have for reboots.

Everything has a trend. If some say for instance has women in prison show does that mean no in the history of time can write another one. I can name three off the top of my head and they are all from different counties made in the last twenty years and one is kinda a robot. Bad Girls UK. Wentworth Australia (Reboot of an old Aussie soap) and of cours OITNB.

Edited by Chaos Theory

That misses the point. Law and Order UK literally used the same plots. Life On Mars was a huge success in the UK and then there was a Life On Mars USA. 

Obviously, one can write a medical drama different than other medical dramas, or with something new to it. I'm not saying there shouldn't be another show set in a bar because Cheers invented it. 

I don't really care if Being Human USA was better or not than the UK. The UK came first and people were like, that's a good show, let's do a version of that. That's jumping on. The three main characters were the same, right? That's not the same as, "Supernatural shows are popular, let's see if we can develop something along those lines."  

It's the same as a UK show about a school teacher who decides to make drugs and is really good at it and makes a ton of money, except that he's using the money to pay for his wife's medical bills. It's Breaking Bad UK. That's not creative, and it's lazy.

Versus, war hero comes home and has problems adjusting and getting a job, so he turns into a hitman to make money and is really good at it. That's Good Guy 'breaking bad' because of the circumstances backed him into a corner. Not exactly the same thing. 

Wasn't there a UK Friends? It's the same thing. Then there was a US UK Friends that was based on the US Friends in the first place. 

I mean, make a Law and Order UK if you want. Just write original material. Come on. 

Wasn't there a UK Friends? It's the same thing. Then there was a US UK Friends that was based on the US Friends in the first place. 

I mean, make a Law and Order UK if you want. Just write original material. Come on. 

Coupling >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Friends.

I wish Law and Order: UK could have done original episodes, but they had to recycle scripts. That was the only way Dick Wolf would let them use the name Law and Order.

THEY KILLED MATT!!!

Sorry, I'm still not over it.

• Love 6

It's the same as a UK show about a school teacher who decides to make drugs and is really good at it and makes a ton of money, except that he's using the money to pay for his wife's medical bills. It's Breaking Bad UK. That's not creative, and it's lazy.

I think I saw a cartoon strip about that 'show'.

It went something like

Doctor "you've got cancer"

Patient "oh no, I'll have to become a drug dealer to pay my medical bills"

Doctor "Welcome to the NHS where it'll all be paid for"

The End

• Love 7
I looked back a few pages and didn't see this mentioned but maybe it was and possibly by me but I don't mind American remakes of British shows. Sometimes as in the case of Shameless and Being Human they turn out better. I wouldn't mind if the Brits remaid a popular American show if they were so inclined.

UK tv would remake US shows more often if they had the money.

I don't only think there's anything wrong with any nation remaking other nations tv shows (and it happens all the time), I think the only reason why US adaptations of UK shows are looked down upon is because people think shit from the UK is automatically smarter and superior. 

Speaking of so-called smart tv, most of these unpopular shows that are declared too smart for the general audience are stupid to me.  There's a reason that shit like Crazy Ex-Girlfriend failed to find an audience, and the reason is that it's fucking stupid.  IMO

Edited by junemeatcleaver
  • Love 5

I'm sure this is a UO with some people, but for me the absolute worst ADA in terms of personality, unbelievability and bad acting was Abby Carmichael.  No one who insulted her superiors as much as Abby did would last a week in her job.

I wanted to punch her in the face every time she'd go off on one of her diatribes with that 5 pack of cigarettes a day raspy drawl.
  • Love 1

UK tv would remake US shows more often if they had the money.

For UK TV stations, it's easier and cheaper just to buy popular US TV shows and fill out their schedules that way.

Honestly I don't care if something is a reboot or a remake ot whatever. As long as it's a good show on its own that's all that matters to me.

• Love 7

I don't only think there's anything wrong with any nation remaking other nations tv shows (and it happens all the time), I think the only reason why US adaptations of UK shows are looked down upon is because people think shit from the UK is automatically smarter and superior. 

Never underestimate the power of the (usually posh) English accent! Apparently, it classes up a joint, no matter how silly the writing is. 

• Love 5

Never underestimate the power of the (usually posh) English accent! Apparently, it classes up a joint, no matter how silly the writing is. 

Except the Brits don't want you to see Eastenders where they speak with the Cockney accents.  I need closed captioning when I watch that show.

Re: Shows getting cancelled because audiences are too stupid to "get it".

I can't tell you how many people have busted my chops because I dislike Firefly. Look, I've never overestimated my intelligence or my tastes (I'll own to having wretched taste in music), but I like what I like, and frankly, I found Firefly to be an unimpressive show populated by characters I just wanted to slap across the mouth (Book, Inara and Zoe excluded). 

There is a myriad of reasons why shows don't last: Politics regarding time slots, current tastes, a niche subject matter, and, of course, ratings, ratings, ratings. I know I'm missing countless other reasons, but the point is, some shows don't stand a chance... get over it. 

Here's a thought: what if Firefly hadn't been cancelled? What if it ran for 10 seasons? How much creative mileage do you think the writers could have gotten out of it? How do you all know you wouldn't have gotten sick of it and even have prayed for it to be cancelled? Honestly, I think there should be a rule against shows running longer than five seasons because more often than not, stories get stale and characters fall prey to Flanderization (sorry to use a TV Tropes term, but it was the best I could come up with). Friends became unbearable after season 5 or 6, and by season 10 I grew to hate all the characters and just wanted the show to be over. 

• Love 4

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is actually a pretty smart, goofy deconstruction of romantic comedies and does some really great playful social commentary in its musical numbers. The reason why it's not finding an audience has more to do with the fact that the general premise and the title are pretty much unmarketable, especially if people take them at face value. However, it seems to be slightly growing its small audience now.

Okay.  And I still thought it was a typical single-cam comedy snoozefest with songs thrown in for good measure.

• Love 1
Here's a thought: what if Firefly hadn't been cancelled? What if it ran for 10 seasons? How much creative mileage do you think the writers could have gotten out of it? How do you all know you wouldn't have gotten sick of it and even have prayed for it to be cancelled? Honestly, I think there should be a rule against shows running longer than five seasons because more often than not, stories get stale and characters fall prey to Flanderization

I loved Firefly but yeah it could have turned into Smallville so be careful what you wish for. I prayed for that show to be cancelled and yet I still hatewatched it till the bitter end. I also agree with you about the five seasons thing which may be an UO.

• Love 2

I freaking loved the Walking Dead and have photos of myself with Norman Reedus and Michael Rooker to prove it, but I haven't seen a single episode this season. I can no longer get excited for it--what's that? Our heroes have found a safe haven in the midst of the apocalypse? But wait! All is not as it seems? Moral dilemma, angst, angst, angst, really cool fight scene, aaaaaaaaannnddd done. Can't watch anymore, it's boring. I kinda wish it had gotten Firefly'd, because we'd have a good, short show instead of uninspired tedium.

• Love 2

I freaking loved the Walking Dead and have photos of myself with Norman Reedus and Michael Rooker to prove it, but I haven't seen a single episode this season. I can no longer get excited for it--what's that? Our heroes have found a safe haven in the midst of the apocalypse? But wait! All is not as it seems? Moral dilemma, angst, angst, angst, really cool fight scene, aaaaaaaaannnddd done. Can't watch anymore, it's boring. I kinda wish it had gotten Firefly'd, because we'd have a good, short show instead of uninspired tedium.

All I can say is: Bingo.

I love Allison Janney and Julia Louis-Dreyfus, but I don't think they deserve all those Emmys; they're not THAT good.

True! The academy is notorious (in my opinion, anyway) for rewarding over and over and over. I can't believe Janney has six Emmys. I lost count of how many JLD has. Same thing for John Larroquette, Candice Bergen, Michael J Fox (which REALLY peeves me). It's like they forget there are other actors in the categories.

• Love 3

I love Allison Janney and Julia Louis-Dreyfus, but I don't think they deserve all those Emmys; they're not THAT good.

Don't the Emmys always just go to the same people every year? I feel like whenever I hear about them, it's because someone from Modern Family or one of the people from some procedural show I don't watch won for the umpteenth time.

I was bored of that by the end of season 2. I've always liked Andrew Lincoln, but the character of Rick was an idiot who led other idiots. There's nothing there for me to enjoy. And (this is another unpopular opinion) zombies are fucking boring. Seriously mind-numbingly boring. Why have they become this overpowering thing that everyone is supposed to enjoy? Once you've seen one zombie story, you've seen them all.

To me, The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones are two examples of shows that people thoughtlessly watch and think they enjoy, because it's cool to enjoy them. Any interesting ideas they had ran out years ago.

As for Allison Janney; Mom is an awesome show and one of maybe.....uhhhh let's say three comedies I watch regularly. I would give every woman on that show an award if I could. That being said I do get the point of spreading the wealth if it is deserved. I don't watch other comedies but i do watch dramas and I see the same trend of same old same old there as well.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

lalalallala I can't hear you llalalalalala.  Firefly would have been the bestest show ever, and would have gone on and on and on with nary a drop in quality until the end of time.    If only it hadn't been cancelled after being screwed over by Fox.

• Love 3

Yeah, I'll still watch but it's getting to be kinda lather, rinse, repeat.  And what I hear of the back 8 episodes coming up isn't good.

To me, The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones are two examples of shows that people thoughtlessly watch and think they enjoy, because it's cool to enjoy them. Any interesting ideas they had ran out years ago.

GOT was horribly mangled last season.  I'm not necessarily a book purist but the show writers (who obviously lack Martin's imagination) put out a poor replica, so much so that now that they've run out of book material I'm questioning whether to continue watching.  (Who am I kidding, I will watch.)

• Love 2

True! The academy is notorious (in my opinion, anyway) for rewarding over and over and over. I can't believe Janney has six Emmys. I lost count of how many JLD has. Same thing for John Larroquette, Candice Bergen, Michael J Fox (which REALLY peeves me). It's like they forget there are other actors in the categories.

To be fair to Candice Bergen, she removed her name from consideration after winning her fifth Emmy. So for the last few years of Murphy Brown, she couldn't be nominated. 

• Love 4

To be fair to Candice Bergen, she removed her name from consideration after winning her fifth Emmy. So for the last few years of Murphy Brown, she couldn't be nominated. 

John Larroquette also removed his name for consideration after winning four straight times for Night Court.  I think that if we can have presidential term limits, we can certainly have Emmy limits!

• Love 6

Yeah, I'll still watch but it's getting to be kinda lather, rinse, repeat.  And what I hear of the back 8 episodes coming up isn't good.

I'd say more that the pacing of The Walking Dead kind of sucks now.  They go light speed through some stuff that seems like it would have been interesting and then they spend half a season dragging out a couple days that are boring as hell.

I've been wondering if they made budget compromises that cost them actor availability that resulted in all those centrics and virtually no ensemble episodes.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 2

I can't tell you how many people have busted my chops because I dislike Firefly. Look, I've never overestimated my intelligence or my tastes (I'll own to having wretched taste in music), but I like what I like, and frankly, I found Firefly to be an unimpressive show populated by characters I just wanted to slap across the mouth (Book, Inara and Zoe excluded).

I tried to like Firefly.  And I don't hate it but I just find it dull.  I like Serenity fine.  But the actual show bores me to tears.  I couldn't get invested in any of the characters.  I liked Zoe and River but not enough to really pull me in.  So, the lamenting it's cancellation years upon years after the fact baffles me a bit.  I liked Buffy and Angel The Series so I'm not sure what didn't work for me this time.  

You know, I love Firefly--I own the disks and watch them at least once a year--but the lamenting it's cancellation years upon years after the fact baffles even me!

I think lamenting the cancelation of Firefly ad nauseum is about more than Firefly.  Its the penultimate example of how Fox screws up and cancels shows.  Its the same way that Farscape is the perfect example of Sci Fi modus operandi and is the harbinger of the fate of all shows that would follow and be cancelled in the most classless way any network executive could ever dream of.  Its example number one of don't watch anything on SyFy no matter how intriguing you find the premise because it will end badly for you..

Well that and I think that the popularity of the actors and Whedon in social media and cons fuels the lamentation of Firefly's cancelation more than the actual show.

• Love 2

You know, I love Firefly--I own the disks and watch them at least once a year--but the lamenting it's cancellation years upon years after the fact baffles even me!

Lamenting over shows cancellation years later kinda baffles me as well. I post a bit on "shows cancelled too soon or were ahead of their time" but to cry havoc years later over them seems crazy to me.

• Love 2

With so much content out there, I don't lament much on shows even immediately after cancellation.  There is usually something with a similar premise on the horizon.  The days of long-running shows on a few channels are long gone.  I'm ambivalent about that, as I perceive showrunners are more gimmicky than invested in good storytelling in the current climate. OTOH, I'd prefer a well-crafted show with 2-3 seasons max vs a long-running one with recycled storylines. On the other, other hand, I believe showrunners have more hurdles with engaging audiences than in years past.  Which seems to be a combination of things: the expanded medium, more skeptical viewers, and the trend of immediate feedback via social media.  The vocal minority take full advantage of intimate proximity to showrunners and writers that wasn't present before 2010 or so. 

On a separate note, I really like Viola Davis as an actress.  But I cannot connect to her portrayal of Annalise Keating.  I thought she was off in season one, and while I thought season 2 was an improvement, I'm still not feeling it.  But then, I'm pretty middle of the road about How to Get Away with Murder as a show - I don't hate it or love it.  

Edited by ribboninthesky1

Speaking of cancellation, My UO is that I don't mind that Hannibal was cancelled. I loved that show but I had no interest in seeing the Clarice story and that's what would have been up next. I think the show ended perfectly.

Shameless UK was good until the main cast began to leave and the same for BH UK. Keeping the main cast whole is what I liked about Being Human the American Version and it allowed the show to tells quite moving love story.

I don't mind US remakes of UK dramas at all but I think that US attempts at remaking UK comedies are routinely dreadful. The sensibilities are just too different.

• Love 2

At this point has anyone tried getting Firefly revived? Like for Netflix or something? It seems like everything is getting revived these days. Arrested Development, The X-files, and freaking Gilmore Girls (which I loved as a kid but I'm pretty confident that the story was complete). It just seems with all the fan interest, some place would be trying to air another season of Firefly.

Yeah, it's interesting about that. They used to make a lot of noise about doing something with it themselves if they could raise the money after Dr. Horrible, but Joss Whedon and Nathan Fillion are both way, way richer than they used to be and nobody's talking about it any more.

Edited by Julia

Joss said a few years ago that to get all the cast back, several other shows would have to die. Strangely, he was reluctant about killing them himself. :) Essentally, the cast all went their separate ways. You sometimes get two of them in one place these days, but that's it.

• Love 1