Type keyword(s) to search

S28.E05: We're Only Doing Freaky Stuff Today

• Start Topic

From a beautiful nature perspective and a fun task perspective, this was my favorite leg so far this season. The tasks were definitely things I would love to do. The biggest drawback to this leg (at least from a RACING perspective) was the fact that this leg didn't really allow for an opportunity to significantly change the ranks. It might have been different if more teams did the campsite setup detour, but the other one was way more fun, so it isn't surprising that most teams did that one. So unless a team member fell on the paraglide take off, teams pretty much finished in the same order they started. 

Other things:

I was initially intrigued, because I thought teams would finally drive themselves, but nope, just another taxi.

I have to actively block out Blair's voice, because I find it so shrill and grating, and most of her words seem to be yelling "Daddy" in any event.

Still not a huge fan of quintessential dudebro Brodie, but Kurt seems very pleasant to be around. 

Still rooting for Tyler and Korey to go all the way. Outside of that team, the only TEAMS I really like are Burnie and Ashley and Zach and Rachel. 

• Love 11

The girls rifling through the mountain guide's lunch bag was perhaps the funniest thing I've seen on TAR since the runaway cheese or painting a random house. Who eats a baguette for lunch?

The scenery was breathtaking. What a treat to see it from the paraglider.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 12

Well there is your most likely Emmy submission episode right there. You can tell that is what the producers were hoping to accomplish, and I must say, I personally thought this was the best episode in a couple years at least. Just wonderful.

For negatives, I'm really starting to bore of Brodie's schtick. I thought Cole would be this season's most camera-hungry racer after the premiere, but they've actually been tolerable. Not so with Brodie.

Also, why on earth can't we have one single leg with racers having to drive themselves? Not even through a peaceful French mountain town? I was excited at the beginning of the episode when they had to find their car, but nope. Drivers waiting. Losing Ford as a sponsor must have really taken a toll on their transportation budget.

Anyways, wonderful episode. I was surprised it was an elimination leg. And it's a shame that all the girl teams are out already (tho I don't miss the models). Fantastic scenery, close finish, a couple funny moments, and basically the definition of the show: doing amazing things in amazing places.

Edited by TheRabbi
  • Love 8

Dana is such a buzzkill... "Get down here NOW, because we have stuff to do!!"

Beautiful, even though I am afraid of heights and I would probably have passed out. I have a friend who is a paraglider pilot who has been asking me to go for a tandem ride with him off a high mountain near here. Watching that, knowing I won't have to plow through snow.... I am ready!! Fear of heights be damned!!

And I want a big long baguette sandwich when I get finished. :)

• Love 19

This was my favorite episode in a long time, and I can't remember ever envying the racers quite so much as I did during the paragliding task. It looked like just about the most awe-inspiring, fun thing ever.

Sheri gets my total respect for facing her fear of heights and just getting on with things, tears notwithstanding. I haven't had strong feelings about her or Cole so far, but I was rooting for them to climb out of last place tonight.

Even the screamy screamers couldn't spoil the pleasures of the Alpine scenery. Although Bro-die and Blair definitely tried.

• Love 14

From a beautiful nature perspective and a fun task perspective, this was my favorite leg so far this season. The tasks were definitely things I would love to do. The biggest drawback to this leg (at least from a RACING perspective) was the fact that this leg didn't really allow for an opportunity to significantly change the ranks. It might have been different if more teams did the campsite setup detour, but the other one was way more fun, so it isn't surprising that most teams did that one. So unless a team member fell on the paraglide take off, teams pretty much finished in the same order they started. 

I agree that it was a spectacular leg visually.  I saw it on broadcast instead of streaming, and the difference in picture quality really mattered for once.

Also agree that the leg wasn't well designed for giving teams a chance to earn their way ahead.  The gamers' experience setting up the campsite made it clear that even a flawless job on that task wouldn't have made much difference, and they lost some extra ground by not digging enough snow.  I don't mind the show having a leg or two that are heavy on the visuals and light on the competition if they are non-elimination legs, but it seems unfair to cut a team that has little chance to get out of a hole and even the paraglider failures seemed as much dependent on the luck of wind and unpredictable snow depth as anything else.  If a team had to go, I'm not sorry it was the models, but I'd rather see teams fail on tasks that hinged less on starting order.

I continue to be surprised by how little annoying behavior there is compared to many previous seasons.  The show tried to force the Blair-Frisbee Dude angle again, but even they didn't seem to cooperate with it much, and there wasn't a lot of oh I broke my nail behavior by Blair or tension between the dancers.  And even they don't seem nearly as aggravating as a lot of other obnoxious competitors of the past.  It also seems like this show barely even mentioned the whole social media angle.  I think they're actually down to fairly enjoyable bunch of teams.

• Love 4

Still not a huge fan of quintessential dudebro Brodie, but Kurt seems very pleasant to be around.

Kurt seems smart and even-keeled,  I just sort of tune Brodie out (with the mute button).

Agreed....beautiful scenery, fun tasks, and enough drama to make it interesting without being annoying.  As posted above, the only real chance for shuffling was at the para-gliding...and that's just what happened.

Edited by sinycalone
  • Love 2

Absolutely breathtaking! i can't even conceive of such high mountains!

I just cannot tell these teams apart! I only know Tyler and ?, Cole and Sherri, and Blair and daddy. I can't even tell what place they're in during the race since I can't recognize them. When I see Dana and Matt or Ashley and burnie it's always the first time I'm seeing them! I've watched every episode. Maybe I'm getting old and my memory is fading?

• Love 18

I just cannot tell these teams apart! I only know Tyler and ?, Cole and Sherri, and Blair and daddy. I can't even tell what place they're in during the race since I can't recognize them. When I see Dana and Matt or Ashley and burnie it's always the first time I'm seeing them! I've watched every episode. Maybe I'm getting old and my memory is fading?

Do you feel the urge to go nap in a rocking chair and only wake up long enough to yell at some damn kids to get off of your lawn?

• Love 12

Great gorgeous episode! I love that Tyler and Kory are giving the jocks a run for their money. Kory is a really great partner to have - he's athletic and willing to do anything and he's also really patient and supportive. Same seems to be true for Kurt, but man Brodie is LOUD. At one point he turned around to scream right into the face of his paraglider pilot.

I thought Cole's mom was really impressive this episode. Dana continues to hate her boyfriend so very much.

Edited by racked
  • Love 15

So the greeter with a hook was some kind of serial killer, right?

I had to reset my receiver in the middle of the episode and missed the resolution of someone's clue falling down the mountain. What happened there? Did they have to go down and get the clue? Was it as dramatic as the pre-commercial setup made it out to be?

The girls rifling through the mountain guide's lunch bag was perhaps the funniest thing I've seen on TAR since the runaway cheese or painting a random house. Who eats a baguette for lunch?

The person whose cheese ran away?

• Love 8

I had to reset my receiver in the middle of the episode and missed the resolution of someone's clue falling down the mountain. What happened there? Did they have to go down and get the clue?

No, they just had to go again and get another clue.

• Love 1

Beautiful scenery, but I couldn't feel the "Race" part of the show's title. While I have trouble differentiating between the Racers, I will say that I don't hate any of them with the white-hot passion like I do with Scot and Jason over on Survivor. I'm guessing the teams don't want to alienate their respective fans, so they don't need tapes of Justin running in the previous season as a guide to what not to do.

Sucks that we'll be on March Madness-based hiatus. As usual, I'll be rooting for high seeds winning and blowouts, just so CBS suffers low ratings. They can't put TAR on a different night for just one week?

• Love 8

Beautiful scenery, but I couldn't feel the "Race" part of the show's title. While I have trouble differentiating between the Racers, I will say that I don't hate any of them with the white-hot passion like I do with Scot and Jason over on Survivor. I'm guessing the teams don't want to alienate their respective fans, so they don't need tapes of Justin running in the previous season as a guide to what not to do.

Sucks that we'll be on March Madness-based hiatus. As usual, I'll be rooting for high seeds winning and blowouts, just so CBS suffers low ratings. They can't put TAR on a different night for just one week?

Especially with everything else seemingly on some sort of hiatus.  Goofy.

I have watched TAR since the very beginning, and in 15 years of watching, I think this this episode is one of my favourite episodes ever. The scenery was spectacular, and the canyon crossing, dynamite and paragliding tasks were just amazing.

With the elimination of the blue girls last episode, I really think there is not one team that I dislike. I think Matt is my favourite racer this time around. He is just so calm and is so patient and understanding with his difficult partner.

I'm enjoying the rivalry between the frisbee guys and Tyler/Korey. Although I would like for Tyler to stop with the "Bros being _____" every episode. It wasn't funny the first time and now it's just old.

No TAR for three weeks. Sad. :(

• Love 6

I didn't realize Chamonix was such a big city.

Brodie talking about his limp baguette was pretty funny.

This episode is SO pretty.

Jesus, Dana is an absolute bitch.

Good on Sheri, she did a great job through the fear. Cole was so proud of his mother.

I want to know whose lunch got stolen.

It's nice that the noisy BroDudes took time to appreciate the beauty.

"I once dated a yeti".

During the show, there was a commercial for ICanAffordCollege.com that was made in partnership with Zach:

http://jbellproductions.com/i-can-afford-college/

"Stay tuned for scenes of what's in store for the rest of the season"?  Uhoh.  March Madness is coming, isn't it?

• Love 8

Regarding the teams being spoonfed the transportation, I'm assuming it's because it was winter, and the streets were snowy and icy, and they didn't want anyone to get hurt. But are there no taxis in Chamonix? I guess there is little difference between getting a spoonfed car and driver versus getting a taxi that you use all day long, apart from the money.

The whole show terrified me! Like Blackwing I initially thought they were going to drive themselves, and the thought of non-stickshift-enabled racers struggling on the ice was not a happy one. No way could I have got the first clue, nor could I have done the baguette delivery. Maybe, just maybe I could have forced myself to paraglide. I have huge respect for those afraid of heights who managed to do the tasks. I would have been taking time penalties.

It seemed like Sherri finished the paragliding task well before Ashley, so how did she and Cole end up behind Ashley and Burnie at the mat?

Since, like others, I can't tell most of them apart, I can't help you with this :-)

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 2

I was ready for that annoying little shit Tyler to go before the end of the Previouslys.  So, of course they are Team #1.

The scenery is Brrrr-reathtaking!  I thought you could only ever take one clue?  Thats's been a rule from way back in Classic TAR times.

Zach:  "I have a feeling it's not Blair, because I think you'ld hear her (from miles away, at a rock concert, in a thunderstorm...)"

Gotta say, that parasail flightlooks like it would be fantastic.  And the three teams at the end waiting for the wind and looking to get a jump on each other was very dramatic!

have to actively block out Blair's voice, because I find it so shrill and grating, and most of her words seem to be yelling "Daddy" in any event.

"Daddy" is the #1 word in her vocabulary.  For Brodie, the #1 word is "WOOOOOOO!!!!"

Who eats a baguette for lunch?

I do.  Every chance I get.

Jesus, Dana is an absolute bitch.

This cannot be said too often!  Because Dana is an absolute bitch.

• Love 8

Brookside . . . Sheri is the mother running the race with her son, Cole. And yeah, I don't see how they fell behind Burnie & Ashley at the Pit Stop. Bad cabbie? Editing shenanigans?

Thanks. Maybe she had to pee? Or change her underwear. I know I would.

• Love 5

Everything Rick Kitchen said and most of what Netfoot said along with the following:

We finally got some of the Amazing scenery this show is famous for, but all the tasks were basically first in, first out and didn't allow for much order change. The only time that was guaranteed to happen is if a team did the camp site task. That we got some order shuffling due to racers not being able to run through the snow fast enough was pure happenstance. And I would have been really upset if two people froze up on the "zip" line to the clue at the same time at the start, thus blocking the contestants behind them. To follow up the hideous bunching at the end of the last leg just before the pit stop with such linear tasks on this leg was a epic failure of leg design. It bothered me so much more than unbalanced Road Block tasks bother some of you.

However, I am glad the camp site challenge didn't knock out Burnie and Ashley. I think I'm starting to root for them to win. Not sure how they pulled ahead of Sherri and Cole at the pit stop either, but I suspect it had something to do with a potty break or something similar. However, I am thankful they didn't agree to work together when Sherri proposed it, even if there really wasn't any way for them to do so. Race, dammit!

While Sherri earned a bit of respect for powering through her fear of heights, I have lost all respect for Cole. I thought he was going to start crying just talking about the big scary roadblock. He only wishes he was a mamma's boy. Though I will give him props for the gender switched "womaned up" comment when praising his Mom. If I thought Tyler should butch it up a little bit, Cory needs to man (or woman) up as well.

Speaking of Tyler, I'm so tired of his bros being bros comments. That's NOT helping you butch up. However, I will give him props for realizing that his glasses fogging up would hinder his ability to do the parasailing. And I love Tyler's yeti dating comment. Got a thing for hairy men do ya?

And speaking of the bros, king dude bro Brody finally got on my nerves with the shouting. It hasn't bothered me as much as the high-pitched shrieks from the girls, until this episode. Shut up already and just look pretty. (Thanks for the tight pants, by the way.) I can finally understand what everyone has been complaining about. Also, free Matt!

Was anyone else disappointed that the yeti was in a dark brown-black gorilla suit instead of a whitish one? I know they did that so they could more easily spot it from the air, but I'm still disappointed. Plus, I wonder what they would have done if someone didn't know that was the French flag. And while I would appreciate more driving by the racers, I'm very glad they weren't allowed to on this leg due to the slick, curvy mountain roads.

• Love 1

As I was watching I realized that I didn't have a clue who most of the racers were, I can't remember the eliminated team at all & I don't know why.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 4

Familiarity is breeding contempt like rats on Broad City.  Two minutes in putting on their mountain gear and I wanted them pretty much all off my screen immediately. 

Thankfully the scenery was pretty spectacular and somewhere I had been and did the survival winter course there.  Not sure how the models missed all the cute guys.  There were plenty when I was there and plenty on screen including the baffled guy watching them rifle the lunch bag.

I wonder though how the Swiss Govt didn't require Brodie and Blair to be muzzled to prevent avalanches?  Somewhere in some tiny little out of the way valley their echoes are still careening off the mountainside. 

Sherri impressed me with her drive.  I have no head for heights and I didn't have to race and wade through that much snow on the peak trails we were on.   We did have to climb in a howling whiteout up the stairs to the observation building and that was worse than any of the trials since the wind would suddenly push down on you. 

Not sure why setting up a campsite was considered the best bet for that team.  Anything detail tends to be a bit of a gamble it seems. 

Not sure if any of them really realized that descent on the para-glider was not up to the racers.  Dana probably had to get in as many whiny and demanding moments as she could though.  

Brodie's partner seems to be just as bad as yelling in moments that don't require it.  Though Brodie's observation that he is flying was truly profound.

Blair seems challenged at times.  I'm trying to picture her out in the world on her own.  I'm guessing Daddy gets phoned several times a day. 

Usually I would complain about the March Madness pause.  This time I actually don't mind getting a break from these people.  A few weeks off and still watch in real could be a good thing.

Edited by tenativelyyours
  • Love 3

I wonder if Burnie and Ashley got some sort of time credit because the edit of Phil telling them what place they were in was odd. It didn't show them running to the mat but both teams were clearly on the mat when he checked B/A in.

The Good:

1. Beautiful location, just beautiful....and tasks designed to capitalize on the visual beauty of the location

2. Less Shrieking -- I think

3. Cole/Shari -- I think its ridiculous to come on TAR with a deadly fear of heights, but they both worked hard in spite of their fear and that's good to see.  

4. Blair finally dropping the act -- it was only for the briefest of moments, but at least I know there is a real, non-shrieky girl in there.  When she was doing the task and got scared and her voice dropped half an octave and she called her father "dad" instead of squealing "daddy" at him.  I know she'll go right back to shrieking, but it was nice for a minute.

5. Shrieky team eliminated

The Bad:

1. Selfie sticks

2. Over the top shrieking from the frisbee guys

3. Blair is still mostly shrieky

• Love 4

Dana is kinda the worst.  I bet she is wondering why the engagement is taking so long, but Matt is going to want to think long and hard before committing to that joykill till death do them part.

Do you feel the urge to go nap in a rocking chair and only wake up long enough to yell at some damn kids to get off of your lawn?

Doesn't everyone?  The question is whether I have enough energy to shake my fist in righteous anger as I yell.

• Love 8

Not gonna miss those two either.

Since when (outside of Disneyland's Matterhorn) has a yeti been found in the Alps?

I think Burnie and Ashley were allowed to get a second clue because they weren't able to retrieve the first safely.

• Love 3

The scenery was really beautiful so I'm glad they took advantage of the location, but one thing that kind of sucked is that all of the tasks had some sort of height element to them. To me that would be like having three gross food challenges or three memory challenges in the same episode. It made me feel for anyone racing this season who's clearly afraid of heights like Cole and Sherri. I mean, I get that having a task with heights is inevitable on this show, but having so many in one day must have been really stressful for them. I loved that even though Sherri was crying when she had to get the clue, she was nothing but supportive of Cole when he was freaking out on the next task.

• Love 5

I'm still having a hard time matching names to people.  It occurred to me that I didn't know the names of anyone on either girl team eliminated last week or this one.  Most teams I can name one person but if you lined up the rest I wouldn't know who goes with whom or what their names are.

I don't mind Brodie's loudness anymore because he is just so darned kid in a candy store exuberant.  I love to see people having fun.  (But then I was a Justin fan too.  I know, very UO.)  Dana casts the only sour note in this group.  Her constant digs at her partner are really unpleasant.  Shut up, Dana.

I was getting frustrated with Cole and his mom whimpering about the height so I had to keep reminding myself that it is a real fear.  (Which is why I do any job that requires standing on a ladder, not my husband.  He wouldn't have been able to do any of those tasks.  And I would have been whining about the cold.)

I AM NOT SUGGESTING she was faking,

Yeah, I kinda went there too, not about mom but about Cole.  More drama = more air time?  I don't know. 

That we got some order shuffling due to racers not being able to run through the snow fast enough was pure happenstance. 

I disagree -- it seems a predictable part of the process that not everyone will achieve lift-off the first try. 

Edited by Rinaldo
  • Love 6

It seemed like Sherri finished the paragliding task well before Ashley, so how did she and Cole end up behind Ashley and Burnie at the mat?

She was probably waiting around, looking for a "team to work with" the way she did when she and her son saw that they were tied with Burnie/Ashley for last leaving the detour. These teams really seem scared to do anything on their own (even though "own" already means two people), don't they? I don't want to pop-psychologize that this is symptomatic of how much these social media stars love surrounding themselves with "fans" and "followers," but I don't want to not suggest it either.

[N]ot everyone will achieve lift-off the first try.

Well, we already knew that some of the teams did have limp baguettes. 

Edited by Corgi-ears
  • Love 6

Beautiful scenery. I like seeing the racers conquer their fear so it was nice to see Sheri make it through even was

clearly scared. It was funny when the girls were going through some random person's lunch. Dana is horrible.

• Love 1

Fear of heights is a real thing. Anyone who has a fear of heights would find that first challenge terrifying. You're pulling yourself over this huge chasm, supported only by a cable, and your feet are just dangling in the air. At least the second one, your feet are on the ground, you are strapped to your partner, and there is an experienced guide with you. With the paragliding, you are in tandem with a guide. I too would have been most scared on the first one, so I don't blame Sheri.

• Love 6
She was probably waiting around, looking for a "team to work with" the way she did when she and her son saw that they were tied with Burnie/Ashley for last leaving the detour.

Yeah.  That was pretty cringeworthy.

Sheri's explanation:

@davintjen my parachute landed on the crew. He ran to the chute instead of releasing me. Ashley was released before I was.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SheriLaBrant/status/708517842266640385

Also, I like Blair. She's really young and loves her dad, so what. I like that you see the eye of the tiger from her every once in a while, like when she realised she might be able to pass the paraglider that had fallen.

Edited by innocuouspuff
  • Love 3

The paragliding didn't seem scary to me, but I couldn't enjoy much of the first half of the ep because I was worried that someone would actually be injured falling down the mountain.

Didn't she start with "stop having fun!" That just made me laugh and I thought I would have preferred it as the ep title, especially since none of the tasks struck me as "freaky".

• Love 2

One of those legs that was all about the spectacle (and the Emmy committee) which underlined how the last leg was designed as a transition. The Amazing Editors have definitely benefitted from the revolution in small video cameras for things like the paragliding or the trek along the alp.

It felt like there was a little more opportunity for positions to change than in the previous Alps visit to Switzerland a few years ago, where teams absolutely couldn't change places because they were shuffled between tasks on the train. It's hard to tell whether the Detour was totally lopsided because we only saw one team build the tent, but it felt more like an escape option for a team petrified of heights, and the dynamite task clearly offered TPTB the best footage. And the paragliding was less 'first in, first out' than your typical Spectacular Airborne TAR task, such as a parachute jump or a bungie.

I can understand why you'd chauffeur teams around in the snow and ice, but it looks very much as if self-drive is gone gone gone. We're probably done with western/central Europe -- CBS has given us those spoilers in its publicity materials -- and there aren't many other locations where it's viable, other than on a closed course, especially with younger teams who may not have much driving experience.

This leg should dispel any sense that this season's teams don't really value TAR -- pretty much everybody was bowled over by the landscape and the chance to do crazy things in it. (Free Matt, though.)

• Love 5

So last week the models were eliminated and this week the other models are eliminated. Good job - now I know who everyone else is. 

I really dislike when things like paragliding or sky diving are used as "Roadblocks" because they are done in tandem with an expert and there is no real skill or work involved besides arriving, getting in line, and doing it in whatever order you arrived in. I understand they are going for something that is visually arresting for the sake of the viewing audience, but in terms of actual racing it's not much of a task but more of a pointless time-filler.

I get that fear of heights is a real phobia but Cole's constant uttering of "I'm gonna cry I'm gonna cry" had me rolling my eyes.

• Love 3

I wonder what they would have done if the weather would have been bad the day they were there.  Would they let everyone take a break for hours/days until the weather was good?  Seems that staying too long in one place would mess up the future legs.  Did they have back-up tasks in case they couldn't do these ones?

I don't think it is right that they are letting new teams join the race on the third or fourth leg, when other teams have already had to put up with lack up sleep and jet leg.  The new teams have an unfair advantage.  

Wait, you mean they are not new teams, but they have been around since the start? Really?  Well then, I guess I must be getting old too.  No, that can't be right, they must be new teams

I'm still having a hard time matching names to people.  It occurred to me that I didn't know the names of anyone on either girl team eliminated last week or this one.  Most teams I can name one person but if you lined up the rest I wouldn't know who goes with whom or what their names are.. 

Not only do I have a hard time matching names to people, I have a hard time matching people to people.  When I saw the two women who were out this week I thought "Weren't they out last week?  Was the last leg an NEL?"

I really dislike when things like paragliding or sky diving are used as "Roadblocks" because they are done in tandem with an expert and there is no real skill or work involved besides arriving, getting in line, and doing it in whatever order you arrived in. I understand they are going for something that is visually arresting for the sake of the viewing audience, but in terms of actual racing it's not much of a task but more of a pointless time-filler.

The same can be said about having them take taxis.  There is probably a higher chance of getting taxi driver who doesn't know where to go than a paraglider that has trouble with the controls, but, in both cases, the navigating is done by a professional and it lessens the chance of switching up the race order.

• Love 4