Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Marooned

• Start Topic

I really enjoyed this episode. They have the ensemble down perfectly.

Things that made me laugh: Sara and Snart playing cards, Stein making sure to wear a beret as he kicked ass and took names, Ray and Kendra flirting via Trekkie talk, and Jax invoking Star Wars.

Leoben!!!! I geeked out HARD when he showed up. He really does belong in space.

I'm not on board yet but I'm considering shipping Ray and Kendra. Their mutual nerdiness is endearing.

Holy shit did Snart just kill Mick? Nobody spoil me.

• Love 13

Well that happened.. I mean Ray and Kendra.. I groaned, I literally rolled my eyes and than dropped my head into my hand and groaned.. but that's because I really wanted them to go the AtomCold route. sue me.

Here's BirdieAtom ending by the end of next week episode.

On the one hand I wanna say Snart killed Mick on the other hand... I don't know. I was sort of hopping Mick would have come around, but at the same time it has been obvious time and time again (as well as on The Flash) that Mick was his own brand of uncontrollable crazy.

• Love 2

Ahh!! Mick and Snart! My Prison Break loving heart can't take it! 

I'm officially of the opinion that I like Ray as long as he's not in a suit and doesn't mess with my ships. The dork is awesome. And between him and Cisco, I'm thinking dork is definitely Kendra's type.

Also, officially on board the Snart/Sara ship. They were cute and he gave her his jacket.

I think I'd watch an entire series of Rip jumping over stuff to go fight bad guys. And Sara beating up armed pirates with a stick. A stick! Good fight scenes.

• Love 8
(edited)

This kind of felt like a poor mans Battlestar Galactica and not just because Leoben was there. 

It was interesting to hear Sara talk about what's like to die. Then she got to fight Mick, who may or may not be dead by Snart's hand. Leonard has really changed. I get it he likes a challenge not just being bad to be bad like Mick. 

We met Rip's wife, she didn't make much of an impression on me. But it showed once again what his true mission is. Don't know how I feel about Kendra and Ray. They are kind of there and if it keeps Ray away from Sara I'm all for it. 

And Sara beating up armed pirates with a stick. A stick! Good fight scenes.

That's what I said, the whole team has super powers, super weapons, super suits and wings. And Sara's got a stick and she's still the most badass character on the show. She was fighting Mick with a stick and her new leap frog abilities she got from the Lazarus Pit.

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 6
(edited)

I don't believe Snart killed Mick, but I do wonder in what time he left him.  I think it's entirely possible he froze him to let him thaw out and think about what he's done. No, I'm not kidding - not at all.

In other news, I love this show so much.  As much as I kind of hoped they were going to leave the shipping alone this season, I do find Kendra and Ray all kinds of adorable.  So sue me.  I really wish she hadn't been paired with Cisco on Flash, but I didn't really buy into them and frankly I've never bought her with Carter in present day or the flashbacks.  But apparently all is DOES take for me to buy into a couple is some Star Trek themed flirting and a "space" date. 

Now I want to see tiny Ray riding on her shoulder while she's flying.  They better make this happen!

ETA: I actually liked Rip's wife a lot, so I'm all on the goodship ColdCanary!

Edited by nksarmi
  • Love 5

Awwwww . . . Leonard and Mick broke up. If Cold was smart, he would have frozen Mick and dropped a dime to Barry. I'm betting Mick will be a Micksicle until such a time when the crew needs his services.

Stein outdorked Ray this week. I didn't think that was possible. Not sure how to feel about Ray and Kendra, though.

• Love 6
(edited)

I also love that Snart's kind of sci fi geek. He likes Star Wars and Star Trek. With Kendra liking that stuff too I can see why she liked Cisco. 

Sara gets to play a nurse next episode

in a mental hospital which is even better.

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

So Imperiex is canon in this universe, which means there's a great chance that President Lex Luthor might be canon.

Snart and Sara are getting closer, go for it Snart.  You gotta do it, you've got a shot.  Her heart belongs to Nyssa, but there's nothing wrong with a little casual sex.

Loved Stein, Jefferson, and Rip as a team.  Fantastic moment with Jefferson calling Stein a space ranger.  And of course you had the line you've got to have in every space adventure, "I've got a bad feeling about this."

I thought Mick would lead the pirates into a trap, I wasn't expecting him to turn against the team.  I don't think Snart killed him though.

• Love 3
(edited)

I really enjoyed this once again.  The show continues to make great use out of all its characters.  I actually like Ray and Kendra together and the Star Trek talk.  An actual Vash reference!  Those are definitely Star Trek fans.

I'm impressed they let things come to a head with Snart and Rory.  Curious what the resolution to that plot will be.  Though the group getting smaller does put over the nature of their mission.  I likes Stein in full geek mode here tonight.  Him beating up the pirate was pure SpyDaddy from Alias.

Some great dialogue here.  Stein saying that NASA had strict rules about near sightedness and Jax adding "And weed smoking" was great.

I enjoyed the spacebound setting of this story a lot.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 6

Jax is never going to let Stein live down his weed smoking. 

I think I'm more on board Captain Canary which is somehow Sara and Lenard's ship name. CL used it with a pic of her and Wentworth. 

This show really does know how to use it's character well. Kendra is still the weakest link. Maybe Ray can make her more interesting because I did enjoy their Star Trek flirting. 

Mick's not dead, they didn't show him being shot. 

My favorite line: "the brigs not really for long term confinement" or something like that. Because that's a big reference to Arrow and Flash (especially Flash) that keep people in rooms for days with nothing in them, no chairs, no toilet or sink.. At least the Waverider brig has a bench for them to lay down on. 

• Love 6

Man am I bored by this show! I want to like this, but it's just not working. It's just one unexciting thing after another. Nothing about the action is doing much for me either, and I get that they seem to be trying on that end, but it's just falling flat. I don't care about Rip at all. I can't stand Mick. Ray/Kendra is a snoozefest, though I generally like their characters individually, preferring Kendra to Ray. Sarah is still great, but not great in the way she was on Arrow. Firestorm isn't doing much for me at all, though I guess it's something they don't have the Professor acting like such an ass as he was when the show started, but not enough for me to like his character.

I mean, it's just not working. I'm not sure if I should stick it out for the rest of the season and try out next season's premiere to see if things get fixed or what. That seems like maybe the best thing in case they right the ship. It's in a good time slot for me so I can easily keep watching it without giving up anything else to record, but yeah, I'm am just not feeling this at all. If I stick with it this season it's not because I'm enjoying this. Definitely wondering if I should just table this unless it's a Flash or Arrow crossover episode.

• Love 4

So who called Kendra/Ray as the first official pairing? This is CW, so I'm guessing that Carter reappears sometime soon, now that Kendra is attempting to move on.

Mick, no! He's not my favorite, but I liked the dynamic he had with the few people they've paired him with. I really hope Snart didn't kill him. I mean, that escalated quickly -- they only 'broke up' last episode.

It was nice to see some backstory for Rip. The only thing I didn't like was Miranda giving up career for love because... ladyparts? (It's the trope in general I'm tired of.)

• Love 2

I don't believe Snart killed Mick, but I do wonder in what time he left him.  I think it's entirely possible he froze him to let him thaw out and think about what he's done. No, I'm not kidding - not at all.

In other news, I love this show so much.  As much as I kind of hoped they were going to leave the shipping alone this season, I do find Kendra and Ray all kinds of adorable.  So sue me.  I really wish she hadn't been paired with Cisco on Flash, but I didn't really buy into them and frankly I've never bought her with Carter in present day or the flashbacks.  But apparently all is DOES take for me to buy into a couple is some Star Trek themed flirting and a "space" date. 

Now I want to see tiny Ray riding on her shoulder while she's flying.  They better make this happen!

ETA: I actually liked Rip's wife a lot, so I'm all on the goodship ColdCanary!

Ha, they showed Rip's wife as a real character. Still don't think she and Rip will ever get their HEA but she's more than just a plot point now.  I'm rooting for Rip to save his family.  And they've made his vow to save them a big deal so yeah, save them and then hide them in time so they are safe?  (Eventually)  Won't worry about that for now.  But good use of flashbacks.  I was interested and cared. I'm not used to that anymore. ;) 

Sara says that she doesn't like Cold and yet they're hanging playing cards and she's earned Mick's respect and she's willing to share really personal things I don't think anyone else knows?  Sure, you don't like him. 

Jax is never going to let Stein live down his weed smoking. 

I think I'm more on board Captain Canary which is somehow Sara and Lenard's ship name. CL used it with a pic of her and Wentworth. 

This show really does know how to use it's character well. Kendra is still the weakest link. Maybe Ray can make her more interesting because I did enjoy their Star Trek flirting. 

Mick's not dead, they didn't show him being shot. 

My favorite line: "the brigs not really for long term confinement" or something like that. Because that's a big reference to Arrow and Flash (especially Flash) that keep people in rooms for days with nothing in them, no chairs, no toilet or sink.. At least the Waverider brig has a bench for them to lay down on. 

Between the comment about the brig not suitable for long term confinement (which only made me love you more Rip) and using EBR's oft repeated reason why she didn't grow up to be an astronaut for Stein, the meta was strong but I loved it. Loved Stein not just saving the day but completely being giddy while doing it.  I loved watching but I was also having fun watching VG have fun as Stein was having fun.  Like I said, the meta was strong in this one.  

As were the Star Wars and Star Trek references.  I'm very fond of Ray but he doesn't have Picard's steel.  Give him time.

Loved him complaining about getting walloped in the chest and that not actually being what brought him back (I'm assuming the CPR compressions did the trick) 

Ray and Kendra actually worked for me.  Not as soul mates so much but as Ray being kind and sweet and brave and very open and uncomplicated and yeah, I could suddenly see why Kendra would go for him.  (As long as we ignore just a couple weeks ago her deciding  Carter was her one true love - maybe she remembered but more like having watched a movie than really deeply felt it?)  On Ray's end, Kendra is a bright, optimistic, strong woman that has a lot of hidden depths and frankly, the only other option is Sara and yeah, while I could totally have seen a way for Sara and Ray to have been written as a thing, this Ray is cautiously keeping his distance. 

I think Ray/Sara is the only pairing the show really hasn't explored apart from her giving him a pep talk early on. 

• Love 7

By the way I just remembered that they confirmed that the Time Masters names are not their real ones.
So Rip is not really Rip Hunter- per say.. Shell we restart the: Rip is Oliver descendent guessing game? I mean if Oliver and Felicity had any kids and one of them escaped Star City after the siege thinking mom and dad are dead they may have ended up in London and.. Just sayin.

• Love 1
(edited)

Sara wasn't in the episode enough for me but I liked the episode. The way Mick Rory was talking was even more extreme this episode. He's not dead though (and there is no real spoilers to know for real but) because they didn't show his death and they would have).

I really liked seeing more of Rip's history. Him watching recordings of his son and wife was  powerful imagery. His wife leaving the time masters cause she found love and doesn't want to be apart of something that doesn't have love was sweet. Her making Rip stay on though was a bit eye rolling. Rip must have some Time Legacy. I know his relationship with Booster's Gold in comics so maybe.

Sara talking about how she was lonely when she died was sad. Looking forward to some potential developments there. I like Snart telling her about him meeting Mick and them becoming a family :'(

Ray and Kendra are ok. I can stand their dorking it up together but only in short doses. I'm not looking forward to Carter returning and a potential triangle. 

Stein was adorable.

Geese I totally can't write English (my first language) today >.< 

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 3

Mick, no! He's not my favorite, but I liked the dynamic he had with the few people they've paired him with. I really hope Snart didn't kill him. I mean, that escalated quickly -- they only 'broke up' last episode.

It was nice to see some backstory for Rip. The only thing I didn't like was Miranda giving up career for love because... ladyparts? (It's the trope in general I'm tired of.)

I liked that they at least tried to frame Miranda's reason to quit as a principled stand against the policy.  I've made it my head canon that she's some kind of a genius and could do whatever she put her mind to so she wasn't that upset about getting to try something else.  Cause yeah otherwise that would fester. 

Mick. 

I hate to see him go.  When he wasn't unhinged, I really enjoyed his contributions.  Maybe they could have just stuck him on Ritalin to keep him from getting bored.  It's hard to believe he's dead when we didn't see the body.  I wish we'd been told WHEN he was dragged to the woods.  No 2016 for him but would they have dropped him off in the past where he might have fit in easier to a rougher world?  I'm curious if Snart faked out his team or us in the audience.

Oh and until Snart fired at him, choosing a different team, I didn't believe Mick was actually betraying them.  I thought he had a sneaky plan but I guess the twist was nope, he didn't. 

That fight between Sara and Mick was really impressive.  And can she take a punch!! Really, all the fights were good.  Rip got some great moves in beyond just his space gun,  Ray was serious, methodical and effective, Kendra fine and Sara...I keep expecting to get used to how good CL is in this show but nope, she and her flashing sticks are mesmerizing.  She's really too good at the stunt fighting to not get picked up for some action movie. 

After weeks and weeks of the action scenes boring me nearly to tears on Arrow, I was convinced actions scenes just didn't do anything for me any more.  Apparently the good ones do. 

• Love 6

Sara wasn't in the episode enough for me but I liked the episode. The way Mick Rory was talking was even more extreme this episode. He's not dead though (and there is no real spoilers to know for real but) because they didn't show his death and they would have).

I really liked seeing more of Rip's history. Him watching recordings of his son and wife was  powerful imagery. His wife leaving the time masters cause she found love and doesn't want to be apart of something that doesn't have love was sweet. Her making Rip stay on though was a bit eye rolling. Rip must have some Time Legacy. I know his relationship with Booster's Gold in comics so maybe.

Sara talking about how she was lonely when she died was sad. Looking forward to some potential developments there. I like Snart telling her about him meeting Mick and them becoming a family :'(

Ray and Kendra are ok. I can stand their dorky it up together but only in short doses. I'm not looking forward to Carter returning and a potential triangle. 

Stein was adorable.

Geese I totally can't write English (my first language) today >.< 

I'm not looking forward to Carter returning at all, but I am really hoping that whenever he does - he has a Kendra of his own in that timeline so it doesn't matter.  Like ok, maybe Ray will question if she would want to be with him if Carter was still around but then she can remind him that he lost his first choice as well and there is no reason they can't be happy together.

What I DO hope is that since MG divides his attention between this show and Arrow that everyone will just somehow forget that Jax had a crush on Kendra and no one will make a big deal of it if Kendra and Ray become a thing. 

Ships are cute; friendship is better; no love triangles please.

• Love 3

Man am I bored by this show! I want to like this, but it's just not working. It's just one unexciting thing after another. Nothing about the action is doing much for me either, and I get that they seem to be trying on that end, but it's just falling flat.

Can't disagree at all. This is the show I was most excited about, and it's the most disappointing, seeming to get worse each week rather than better. I feel like they used all their money on the cast, and had nothing left for the writers. This episode grabbed elements of several different other space shows, most notably Firefly, and rehashed them, but not only didn't add anything to the concept, but played the scenes off less effectively. Rip's storyline was really boring; they tried to flesh out his background with his wife and the Time Masters, but it felt like they were just going through the motions. I didn't get any sense of a love story or even chemistry between Rip and Miranda, the Time Masters and their "no personal relationships" mantra felt like a slapdash Jedi Council (which itself became a mere mockery of the mystery and intrigue of the Jedi from the original movies once Lucas released the prequels). The about face with Kendra and Ray since last week was abrupt and, again, no sense of chemistry due to Kendra's actress' poor performance. And why in the name of the Ideal didn't Stein and Jax turn into Firestorm to take on the pirates, again, rather than stand around and allow Rip to pull off the silly "shove 'em out the airlock" nonsense (Oh, but hey, it was a callback to the maneuver his beloved wife performed early in the show, so, y'know... it was a love note to her.)

I thought the fight scene parallels were interesting, if not necessarily well choreographed. And I love Dominic's Heatwave, as usual. He's been one of the real standouts since the pilot- and given much more to do than in his Flash appearances- so, naturally, they've written him out now. (Albeit, I'm sure, only temporarily.)

I think they really ought to jettison this Vandal Savage/Rip's family/Hawkgirl plot as soon as possible, find a real reason to keep this group together, and get them doing something else. I still think there is a lot of potential here, it's just sad to see it going to waste.

• Love 5

Just making sure I understand how Gideon works.  She can take control of the ship in an emergency situation.  She can see that Mick Rory is injured and guide his shuttle back to the ship.  But she can't see that there's 10 other people traveling with Mick and warn the crew.  Nor can she warn Sara and Snart that they're about to be trapped in a room with a hull breach.

Also, what was stopping Ray from fixing half of the breach, heading back into the ship to refill his suit with oxygen, and then going back out to fix the other half of the breach?

This episode more than most had some major plot holes that distracted me.  Still an entertaining show, but I'd like to see fewer characters holding an idiot ball.

• Love 14

I loved all the Star Trek/Wars references with the space travel.

Wonder how they redeem Mick, I doubt he's dead.

Loved Sara & Snart trapped together scenes.

Kendra moves on fast she's gone from Cisco-Carter-now Ray in just a span of episodes.

• Love 1

Also, what was stopping Ray from fixing half of the breach, heading back into the ship to refill his suit with oxygen, and then going back out to fix the other half of the breach?

I think Sara and Snart would have frozen to death if he did that.  For the rest of it, I have no idea.  Gideon's just selectively lame, I guess.

So, I have slightly mixed feelings about this episode.  I mean, I wasn't a huge fan of any part of the set up, but I thought most of the scenes of different characters stuck together were really good.  I particularly liked Sara and Snart, but Ray and Kendra were more enjoyable than I expected them to be.  I was also really happy to see Stein get his big damn hero moment.

That being said, I think the time pirate stuff was kind of dumb (both the element that time pirates brought to the episode and the very idea of time pirates existing).  I also did like Rip's wife, but it didn't make me like Rip any more.  If anything, now I'm more upset that we didn't get her leading the team instead, since she was apparently the smart, strategic one in their relationship.  

• Love 2

Since we didn't actually see a body, I won't be surprised of there is some kid of twist and Snart didn't actually kill Mick in the end, but used his freeze gun in another way, to prevent him from being trouble.  Either way, I'm surprised they actually went all the way with having Mick turn on the group.  I thought for sure it was going to end with him pulling some kind of con on the pirates, but nope.  He's simply had enough of this shit and wants to go home.  Almost can't blame him after the way Rip treated him.  Have no idea what to think.  I hope this isn't the last of him, because I grown to like him and am still surprised how much I liked Dominic Purcell in this.

Not as surprising is Snart and Sara being awesome together.  Of course, they would totally play cards during down time.  I mean there is only so many times Sara can polish your weapons or Snart practice his blue steel, so why wouldn't they be up for a round or two.  And then they get trapped together which is interesting as always.  I liked Snart asking what did Sara feel when she died, because really, why wouldn't you ask that?

Martin Stein playing space ranger was hilarious.  Victor Garber seemed to be having so much fun in this episode.

So, Ray and Kendra is actually happening, huh?  Eh, whatever.  Not as annoying as it could have been, but I'm not a huge fan.  As long as Ray has learn his lesson, and won't try to ping her phone or buy out the company she works for.  No need to bring back Stalker Ray, please.

Rip gets back-story this time.  So, his wife was a Time Master trainee too and even better then him, but after getting busted making out, she resigns because she knows he wants to be a TM more, and she doesn't want to be part of an organization that doesn't allow them to love and whatnot.  Really, I never understand any organization that doesn't allow relationship.  I mean, I can understand not wanting fraternization between co-workers, but it sounds like TMs just want their folks to be celibate, and they have to know that is a hard battle to win.

I've read complaints on other places over Sara "losing" the fight to Mick, but I didn't think it was that big of a deal.  Sara was still her normal badass self, but I think Mick is big enough to power through some of those hits, and he had to resort to getting his fire gun again, in order to finally push her back.  Sure, I'll admit it was a mainly a set-up to have Snart save the day, but I didn't think Sara was suddenly incompetent.  This was nothing compared to Oliver and Thea suddenly getting their asses handed to them by freaking Anarky. 

1950s are next, huh?  Figured they'd get around to that some point.  I wonder if they'll go way, way back soon, like the 1700s or 1800s.

• Love 3
(edited)

Wow, I didn't expect Snart to shoot Mick. Kudos, show, for surprising me in a good way. I also expected Mick's betrayal to be fake, but he really did it - which made sense, but still felt heartbreaking. I really liked the Snart/Sara talk about how he and Mick had met. Nice moment.

But ugh, Ray and Kendra? So soon? I mean, if we HAVE to have a forced romance (which I so wanted this show to avoid!), then it's better for it to happen between characters I don't care about, but yikes. And then Kendra will find another reincarnation of Carter and be all torn up. No thanks.

I did like Stein as a Space Ranger, but really, would it hurt to explain how he could overpower a space pirate who's obviously much younger and probably way more used to fighting? It felt unbelievable.

Rip's flashbacks were... OK? I mean, it kinda explained why he feels so guilty, but I didn't feel that much for his wife. At least she now has some kind of characterization.

I didn't mind Sara losing to Mick, because it was a huge physically powerful guy used to violence. It was realistic. She can't always win. Does Kendra have superstrength to go with wings? Because her knocking enemies out left and right felt really unbelievable.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 2

Does Kendra have superstrength to go with wings?

I can't really speak to this show, but in the comics the Hawkbeings are somewhat stronger than normal humans.  They're particularly good when it comes to lifting things (and people) and sometimes dropping them from a height.

• Love 4
(edited)

I thought Sara held her own against Mick. It was only when he got his gun that she had to flee, plus she probably was trying NOT to kill him. That's got to make it harder when the sheer power difference is so different.

I mean, I can understand not wanting fraternization between co-workers, but it sounds like TMs just want their folks to be celibate, and they have to know that is a hard battle to win.

They were pushing no romantic relationships for fear it would motivate them to break their oaths and change the time line just like Rip is doing. He has the "saving the world" as well excuse going for him, but you have to wonder if Rip would have been doing the same thing (trying to save his family) if a piano fell on them.

I wouldnt think the Time Masters care about sex as just a physical thing, but some of this backstory might come from the comics forty or fifty years ago. The distinction might not have been in the mainstream comic vocabulary.

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2

Sara didn't 'lose' the fight with Mick. She got thrown around a couple of times by a guy much larger and stronger than she is, but she was giving as good as she was getting. She actually had him down, to the point he went for his gun. It wasn't helped by the fact, as others have said, part of Sara was holding back because mad as she might have been she didn't really want to kill or even seriously hurt Mick.

I don't care about Kendra and Ray. I mean, I don't much care about Kendra at all. But I have no problem with her hooking up with him. She may have had some epic destined love with Carter, but he's gone. She and we know she'll end up with him again sooner or later, but that doesn't mean she has to be alone for the rest of this life until they reincarnate. If she wants a little Palmer in her life, why not?

I thought Arthur Darvill did an excellent job with the emotional scenes this episode. I never expected his wife would be a fellow Time Master, I was thinking she might be someone he met on one of his missions. It is a little disappointing she had to give up her career for him.

I don't doubt Snart could kill Mick if he had to, but given how much he obviously cared for him it wasn't something he was eager to do. I thought maybe they would go back to 2046 and drop him off. He seemed so happy there. I get the feeling, from the way they cut the scene, that we're supposed to think he killed Mick but they don't want to come out and say it, in case they want to undo it later. The question is, when/where was that? And if he didn't kill Mick, is he going to tell the others or lie to them?

• Love 1
(edited)

I hope the show does better in the future explaining certain things like why a few weeks ago, Ray went into the Russian mission without his suit and why Jax and Stein didn't become Firestorm at the end.  Was it because Jax didn't have that device on his chest which I can't remember the name of.

Not exactly Rip's finest hour as a captain and I wish the flashbacks didn't show his wife being a more competent at the whole Time Master thing than him.

Sara having a hard time fighting Mick was realistic.  He's got what, 100 pounds and six inches on her?  He also looks like one of those guys who can take a lot of punishment.  Add to it brute strength and he's going to be difficult for anyone to fight.

This was nothing compared to Oliver and Thea suddenly getting their asses handed to them by freaking Anarky.

Good lord, yes...nothing like seeing Oliver get his ass kicked by a boy band reject.

I said this before but I was pleasantly surprised that Mick's betrayal turned out to be true.  I expected him to make peace with Snart but they didn't go the predictable route.  As pointed out, Mick is a serial arsonist and mentally unstable, one who Snart actually fears will go over their loved ones if they drop him back in 2016.  The resolution of his story (for now) works because it puts over the danger of this mission for the team.  One of their own has been killed and now another member of their team has betrayed them.  They've shrunk from eight to six.   I like that they are taking risks like that and shaking things up.

I'm curious if Mick will end up working with Savage.  God knows Savage could use an entertaining character to do his evil deeds with.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 2

The bottle episode but a great one though.

I liked the flashbacks with Rip/Miranda/Time Masters stuff. Nice enough look into their relationship and it was nice to see it tie in with the Baxter/Time Pirates main story as well.

I was a little shocked that Mick betrayed the crew but I don't think Leonard actually killed him. Just maybe put him on ice for a bit. We would've seen the death, right?

I could easily get behind a Sara/Cold pairing and even Ray/Kendra were quite sweet in this episode as well. A good one for shippers of both this week.

Jax didn't do much but I did love his snarking at Stein. Nice to see them more as a team nowadays, 8/10

• Love 2

If Hunter was the dead one and his wife the experienced Time Lord (er, Master) then there wouldn't be much of a show because she'd probably be competent enough to track down Savage without constantly wandering into obvious traps.  Rip should just put Snart and Sara in charge.  Maybe throw in Stein and create a triumvirate since there's no way they could be worse than him.

Mick is a villain but I'm not sure I see him throwing in with Savage.  It's still a leap to actively join up with a mass murderer.

• Love 2

This sounds so bad, but I really enjoyed Rip telling Mick, that no, of course he didn't need a psychotic arsonist criminal, because why the fuck would he need that? It wasn't exactly a clever thing to say, but really funny and so true.

• Love 11

Rip gets back-story this time.  So, his wife was a Time Master trainee too and even better then him, but after getting busted making out, she resigns because she knows he wants to be a TM more, and she doesn't want to be part of an organization that doesn't allow them to love and whatnot.  Really, I never understand any organization that doesn't allow relationship.  I mean, I can understand not wanting fraternization between co-workers, but it sounds like TMs just want their folks to be celibate, and they have to know that is a hard battle to win.

The show pretty much said why relationship were forbidden between time masters: because time masters are asked to change their names when joining the academy to avoid any harm to their families should anything happen to them, because of that relationships are not allowed for fear that unknowingly to the couple they might be related. it's a weak argument but strong enough that it has some reason to it.

Kudos to Arthur Darvill, because I think Rip is an absolutely moron with no ability whatsoever to plan more than half an hour into the future, much less command technology to send him anywhere and any place in space and time.

But I still kinda like him? And I really like watching him in fight scenes. It's the only time when he seems moderately capable.

• Love 2

Kudos to Arthur Darvill, because I think Rip is an absolutely moron with no ability whatsoever to plan more than half an hour into the future, much less command technology to send him anywhere and any place in space and time.

But I still kinda like him? And I really like watching him in fight scenes. It's the only time when he seems moderately capable.

They're all kinda the Worst Time Travelers EVER, but I think it's actually working. We're going to need another 'win' against Savage soon, though. Russia was more them fixing what they messed up earlier.

• Love 1

So: we now know that not all Time Master AIs are named "Gideon".

Therefore, the odds that Rip's AI is the same as Thawne's AI (which said it was created by Barry Allen) now seem near 100%.

Thoughts?

• Love 4
(edited)

I kind of like it that Rip screws up a lot. He's emotionally compromised and trying to corral a bunch of independent thinkers with serious impulse control problems and no respect for a chain of command. I've rarely seen the "storming" stage of a team-building show blow up so spectacularly, and it's a lot of fun. Plus the "norming" stage will feel more earned. And having the captain be part of the zoo rather than the trainer that gentles them all feels right.

Edited by Miss Dee
  • Love 8

I enjoyed the episode, except for Kendra and Prof. Stein.  I think Victor Garber is terrible in this role.  I don't much care for the character, but I don't care for his acting here either.  The girl that plays Kendra continues to far and away be the weak link on this show.  I couldn't care less what happens to Kendra.

I doubt Snart really killed Mick.  I'm kind of surprised that Rip didn't send someone else with Snart just to confirm that things got done.

So: we now know that not all Time Master AIs are named "Gideon".

Therefore, the odds that Rip's AI is the same as Thawne's AI (which said it was created by Barry Allen) now seem near 100%.

Thoughts?

But the other AI names encountered were "Gary" and "Gilbert" -- does that mean that all the Time Master AI names start with 'G' ?  Which is a little odd.

(edited)

Snart did not tell the team he was going to kill Mick - he said he would "take care of it."  Stein assumed murder but Snart still did not confirm that.  He might have told someone on the team his real intensions (say Sara?) - which I don't think were to kill Mick.

Then in the scene itself, Snart told Mick he was right before he aimed/fired his weapon - BUT he said that after Mick both said that Snart didn't have the guts to kill him AND that only one of them would be walking away alive.  Depending on what Snart actually did, he could have been confirming that he didn't have the guts to kill Mick OR that he made it so that Mick couldn't "walk away" from that moment (I know it sounds utterly ridiculous, but a Micksicle is not outside the realm of possibility as far as I'm concerned). 

And since I honestly believe that Cold is being setup as an anti-hero, I don't think it would be "in character" for him to kill Mick at this point.  I just want to know where/when he left him and how things are going to be when they are reunited.

Edited by nksarmi
  • Love 2
(edited)

I did like Rip telling Mick that he didn't want a psycho arsonist on the mission, he just happened to hang around Captain Cold. Probably shouldn't have said it at that time but that does answer the question of why he's on the team. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 4

We met Rip's wife, she didn't make much of an impression on me. But it showed once again what his true mission is.

I really hate that Rip is doing this for Twu Wuv.  Sure, millions of people will die, and millions more be enslaved, but if he can  just save his wife and son, why care about them?

The only thing I didn't like was Miranda giving up career for love because... ladyparts? (It's the trope in general I'm tired of.)

Yeah, that sucked (as does the "you must have a fake identity and no one to care about" because either of those always work so well!)

• Love 1

If he is gone for now, it'll be interesting to see Len with out Mick. Will he further embrace his anti-hero-ness or will he realize Mick was right and he's still a crook? Or stay somewhere in between like he is now? 

If he keeps hanging around Sara all the time, he will probably be picking her up her need to help people that need it. 

• Love 1
(edited)

You know, I'm gonna have to agree with you on both points.  I'm scratching my head wondering why we're supposed to believe that Rip is in any way competent at anything and yet I'm still not FFing his scenes.  Yet.  Very, very nearly deleted this from my DVR when Rip started talking about losing the 'loyalty of his crew' - in god's name, why would they be loyal to him?  I know the guy who cuts my hair better than these folks know each other, and yet they seem desolated to find out that everyone acts like they don't know each other all that well.  Lucky me I speak fluent cliché as it's the only thing that's making it possible to 'understand' the plot and character dynamics.

With one exception - I like Heat and Cold.  Them I kinda like, and I was very surprised that Mick actually was betraying the crew.  Woulda bet long odds that this was all a trick on his part and he was only pretending, but I'll admit the writers surprised me there.  I'm guessing that Mick isn't dead and he's the 'Marooned' of the title?  That they're gonna leave him stuck somewhen and come back a few years later?  That would be a hint of originality in a series sadly anemic thus far.

The bottle episode but a great one though.

I thought a 'bottle episode' is one that takes place on only one set with a limited cast in order to save money.  This episode ranged around a bit (mostly CGI, but still) and featured a fair number of guest cast. 

Edited by henripootel
  • Love 2

I see a lot of people saying Sara lost the fight to Mick. But I saw it has her first fight with the Huntress. She just heard Len's story about what Mick did for him. She was holding back because she wasn't looking to kill him. 

• Love 5