Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E13: Back Where It All Started

• Start Topic

San Francisco is the setting when the competing foodies cook for chef Traci Des Jardins. Later, they try to wow master chef Hubert Keller, the judges and San Francisco culinary elite with cuisine inspired by the restaurant Fleur de Lys.
(edited)

I'm so sad that Amar was booted off. He would have rocked the French challenge. Lot's of buildup on the challenge with the already snobby effortfully acting extra snobby, I was super nervous for Issac when they didn't approve of his dish, or lack of sauce, but happily Marjorie was also criticized. And Jeremy appeared to rock it. Looking at Carl's food, it looked like dog food with some blood clots. Again, this episode really exposed the chef's for who they are/what they can do. Marjorie isn't strong with meat, but she can bake and roll pasta, and make snacks, anything flour/ dough based Marjorie can handle. But they didn't like Carl in the end, or Marjorie, so I'm hoping, since my Amar is gone, that at least Issac can stay. PLEEESE!

Edited by bravofan27

Before I talk about my darling Hubert Keller, I just have to say: there's a toast craze? Sweet Jesus. I thought Amar should have stayed over Carl in the Quickfire because he actually you know, cooked something.

So is there anyone kinder and more devastatingly attractive than my darling Hubert Keller? It's too bad three out of four of the meals were so disappointing. The stew he made for the cheftestants looked so delicious. I loved hearing him talk about his process to develop a new recipe.

I can't stand Jeremy.

I could swear someone in another season tried to make a tourchon- did I spell that right? - and failed just as miserably as Carl.

• Love 17
(edited)

Carl's decision this week was about as stupid as Kwame's last week, so he was a clear choice for elimination.  Had he cooked something that could actually be prepared in the time allotted, I'm sure he'd have done a better job with it than Isaac did with his dish, so that was a truly boneheaded move.

It was also clear to me Marjorie was safe, so that when Padma called her name it was going to be to say "Please join Jeremy" rather than "Please pack your knives and go," but it wasn't clear to her and she must have had quite the cardiac event.

And, damn, it sucks to be Amar -- going home for toast (and losing to a crudo), and then missing out on the chance to cook French food for Hubert Keller.

It was cracking me up that they kept showing the plank either Tom or the guest judge stood on to add some height.  They went to the trouble of using one that blends in with the floor instead of using the standard box, but then showed it on camera multiple times. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5

Yes, there was toast fad. During the height of it, Instagram was a minefield of pictures of toast, avotoast, artisan toast, argh.

http://nymag.com/thecut/2014/06/biggest-food-clich-on-instagram.html

http://www.grubstreet.com/2014/01/san-francisco-trouble-cafe-toast-menu.html

Amar would have rocked this challenge. I'm kind of bummed that we're left with Jeremy. This is not at all the final three I thought we'd end up with. I thought it would be Marjorie, Kwame, and Amar. Or Karen or Carl subbing for Amar.

• Love 6

Sorry to see Amar go. It seemed harsh to send someone home in a quick fire, who had come so far and done so well.

Loved isaac's attitude- instead of complaining that classical French is not his thing and he can't do it, he seemed to have a dish idea up his sleeve and made it in his style. Bravo. Just what we armchair chefs always yell at the contestants to do! (Like with desserts).

I don't understand choosing to make a dish that literally cannot be made in the given time period. Like people doing risotto in 20 mins on Chopped. Not brave or risky- just impossible and setting yourself up for failure. I knew Carl was going home.

• Love 8

So I hope Isaac learned his lesson: if you wish you'd have more time to do your dish, maybe you should rethink it. I love Isaac, but Carl saved his ass by choosing a dish that required days, not hours. (What the everloving fuck Carl???) I noted that Gail said Isaac's dish wasn't refined and had to wonder if Marjorie was cackling in her living room as she watched the episode.

Over the course of the season, I've come to kind of dislike Jeremy and haven't had much interest in anything he makes. But I have to give him props this episode: he killed it on all fronts and if nothing else he's had a strong finish, which is really all that matters. Since he's lived his dream, I won't be sorry if he chokes next week in Vegas. I'm tired of him.

I couldn't exactly tell what it was about Marjorie's dish that the judges didn't like. There appeared to be an issue with the fact that she chose boneless lamb, and then there was something about she should have let it sit for 45 minutes, but I seem to think someone wasn't happy with the seasoning (or lack of it???). I got that Isaac's was dry and Carl's was just under-developed, but the criticism for Marjorie's lamb seemed to depend on who you were listening to (and some of the guests pronounced it perfect, if I remember correctly). I didn't feel she was ever on the bubble to go, but it was clear she wasn't going to win it.

And I agree that Amar probably would have nailed the challenge; it sucks that he got sent home for toast. Listen: I like bread (LOVE bread, actually), so I can dig some good toast. But I can just imagine that this "toast" that's becoming quite the rage is probably upwards of ten bucks a plate when it's all gussied up with fresh veggies or a bit of meat, which pisses me off for some reason. It may have something to do with a restaurant in Pioneer Square in Seattle that actually charges $7 for a plate of toast with some homemade jam. SEVEN DOLLARS! So when I see a challenge that perpetuates that nonsense it drives me a little nuts.

Based on the three that are left, I will pick Marjorie for the win, though my heart kind of wants Isaac. Whatever her beef was/is with him (if there ever really was some kind of beef), hopefully he's earned some respect from her now that he's made it to the final three with her.

The other thing I noted was that all four chefs seemed visibly nervous when they presented their dishes - high pressure, indeed.

• Love 9

Why did FDL close? Seemed sad to lose such an icon.

Ha, will have to go back and look for the plank they were standing on!

So sad Kwame isn't top 3. Haven't watched LCK yet so IDK if he's coming back. But I hope do! Kwame, Isaac, and Marjorie were my top 3 picks.

Jeremy was is full bro mode tonight. Geez. Like, dude.

• Love 2
(edited)

Jeremy was such a gracious winner. Heh.

TOAST! Its the bees knees bro. Getting eliminated over TOAST! has to suck. At least Amar was able to find a plate to put the TOAST! on.

Calabria Carl's days were numbered. Fish and cheese can never be compared to TOAST!

Edited by rustyspigot
  • Love 2

I don't care for the toast craze any way around it. (While it started in the Bay Area, where I live, I had a hard time believing Padma that it's "taken the nation by storm" or whatever she said. If so, I offer my sincerest apologies to all of you.) But I thought they missed the point -- they all made what I see as crostini or whole-meal-on-a-shingle. Most of the "fancy toast" I see is a little more simple, more like what Marjorie did. What Amar did completely obliterated the bread, which was supposedly the star of the show. Then again, Tracy des Jardins didn't note that so maybe I'm off base. 

Now I have to go pop corn and wait for commenters who were irritated to see that Marjorie wore a very nice dress and heels to dinner with Hubert Keller, after wearing jeans as FOH in RW.

Why did FDL close? Seemed sad to lose such an icon.

From all accounts I've read, Keller simply decided to move on. It's telling that recently he turned 60 and his business partner passed away. Locals: Take note he owns the building. Can you imagine what he's going to make on that after 30 years?!

http://insidescoopsf.sfgate.com/blog/2014/06/05/fleur-de-lys-to-close-this-month/

• Love 5
So is there anyone kinder and more devastatingly attractive than my darling Hubert Keller? It's too bad three out of four of the meals were so disappointing. The stew he made for the cheftestants looked so delicious. I loved hearing him talk about his process to develop a new recipe.

He appears to be a very  nice man, and very handsome.

My heart did go out to Marjorie when they called her out on her dish and she started to cry. That was pretty rough, cuz she definitely tires incredibly hard. HOWEVER, I continue to dislike her jabs at Issac. She told him to "Shut up" when Amar (bye Amar!) and Carl were facing off, and at the end she wouldn't look at Issac, only Jeremy when they cheered for themselves, and at the very end, she high fived Jeremy, and quickly turned her back on Issac so he couldn't join in. That type of stuff just makes me feel SO BAD for Issac, who has proven he deserves to be there and is there fair and square. She needs to show some humility. 

I don't have the vitriol hatred for Jeremy that others seem to have, but for some reason I keep forgetting about him. Even watching him, I don't really see him. It's very strange, his "lack" of presence. 

• Love 12
(edited)

I am happy for Jeremy -- he rocked both of those challenges and was so full of shock and pure joy when he won. His dude-ness doesn't bother me a bit.

On the other hand, IMO, Marjorie is a bitch. She is so overtly disdainful and snobby about Isaac. Makes me dislike her tremendously. And she was smiling big when Amar got eliminated. Excuse me, but most of the time, she's made bread. And I loathe the way she speaks -- bizarre. The tears made me furious -- I am a woman and It makes me nuts when women cry in these moments. Her personality is very unattractive to me.

Sad that Carl and Amar were booted off, but Carl was crazy to take on that dish that required a ton of time. Amar got the boot for toast -- what??? Very lame challenge.

Hubert Keller is lovely. Enjoyed seeing so many familiar faces in his restaurant for the last meal.

I'd be happy with anyone but Marjorie for the win.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 22

I am happy for Jeremy -- he rocked both of those challenges and was so full of shock and pure joy when he won. His dude-ness doesn't bother me a bit.

On the other hand, IMO, Marjorie is a bitch. She is so overtly disdainful and snobby about Isaac. Makes me dislike her tremendously. And she was smiling big when Amar got eliminated. Excuse me, but most of the time, she's made bread. And I loathe the way she speaks -- bizarre. The tears made me furious -- I am a woman and It makes me nuts when women cry in these moments. Her personality is very unattractive to me.

Wait a minute. Isn't Jeremy the one who said something sexist to his daughters? Can someone remind me of that? I know I've had a bad taste in my mouth about him ever since.

• Love 1

I told anyone and everyone that knows me not to call me, text me, talk to me or touch me while Hubert Keller was on my TV. I love that man. I was granted the pleasure of having dinner at the now-closed FDL, he was in charge, came around to our table.....sigh.... I always tell people I can die happy having had his food.

I don't care who wins at this point, Kwame is gone and I was even a little sad to see Amar lose to Carl in the quickfire. I wasn't a big Amar fan but I thought his dish looked better. Again, can't taste it so that's the final call.

• Love 10

Wait a minute. Isn't Jeremy the one who said something sexist to his daughters? Can someone remind me of that? I know I've had a bad taste in my mouth about him ever since.

I remember him telling his daughter that second place is first loser....which may not be sexist, but its pretty douchey

• Love 6

There's a toast craze sweeping the country?  Toast?  Ah, well.  The Midwest is always the last to know.

This episode was so tense it was making me nervous and it somehow changed my opinion of these people slightly.  I liked Jeremy for the first time all season.  I even liked Marjorie a little better and I gave her full credit for having the sense to dress up for dinner with Hubert Keller.  Something about Isaac's attitude made me like him a little less.  

I was sorry to see Amar leave.  I thought he'd make it to the finale.  I thought Carl would too until he decided to prepare foie gras.  Didn't he watch what happened to Dougie last season?  He did himself in.

At this point, I think I'll be happy with whoever wins as long as it's not Marjorie.

• Love 5

I was glad that Carl won the quickfire, since his dish was apparently only at the bottom because of the whole "seafood and cheese is ick" meme rather than any actual flaws. I was disappointed that it was at Amar's expense, however. Perhaps Carl was, too, and that was why he self-sabotaged himself out the door. Ah, well, guess I have to get behind Isaac, because LCK continues to be a blight on the planet (n.b.: I was one of the few who was behind the Kristen elimination at the time -- and still am -- since she also went home for self-sabotage, just of a different sort), although I'd also be fine with a Marjorie win.

Jeremy did tell his daughter that 2nd place was first loser, but he also told her he was stupid "you're so much smarter than your dumb daddy", so I say  it's a wash. LOL.I don't think it was a manipulation in terms of Marjorie crying-- I think those were her emotions and she was fighting them. I think it could have happened to anyone, man or woman (though unlikely Philip). Emotions getting the best of you, that is. 

• Love 7

Living in San Francisco, I am embarrassed that they focused on the toast craze.  If someone wanted to be authentic, they should have smeared avocado on toast and sprinkled it with red pepper.  People wax poetic about it on yelp.  I eat out a lot.  Even I know that I can make avocado toast at home.  

It seemed like three out of four of them psyched themselves out or were too ambitious for the main meal.  Trying to make fois gras torchon in 3 hours?  Doing 7 ballotine of duck?  Buying lamb off the bone?  We have heard Tom's disdain for cooking meat off the bone when it could be done on the bone.  Jeremy was the clear winner from the judges' comments.  I was not surprised Marjorie was in.  Tom mentioned her artichoke was under-seasoned and there was debate about the lamb cookery, but overall they liked her dish.  To me, while I generally like Isaac, with this being a challenge at Fleur de Lys, he got lucky that fois gras boy made such a mess of it.  Raw fois gras would be disgusting.  Isaac made a decent dish but he was well outside of his element.  It sounded good but was not artful.  Food at Fleur de Lys was artful.  

• Love 1

jeremy....how dare you hide that yummy ass with that untucked shirt....i mean, wtf?  exposed chest but hidden booty?

these quickfire eliminations are rather stupid.  going through weeks of fighting to get to that point and be booted off before the main challenge?  well, at least they had 3 judges.......(short criticism of last chance kitchen having only one biased judge)

i knew carl was in trouble in the quickfire when he rambled on and on and on and on........and on.......

marjorie, stop being a biatch.....telling isaac to shut up (though well deserved), still not nice.

• Love 1

I was really hoping that when I read about the toast "craze" a while back that it was just some kind of internet hoax, because for the life of me I can't figure out why something any competent 3rd grader can make (mashed avocado & toast) should be a thing people pay more than $3 for.  I'm more of the mind that if you want avocado & carbs, lean into it, get some guacamole & chips, and add a margarita for kicks.  But then, I also don't get why fish and cheese is such a big faux pas when it seems like every other menu features lobster mac & cheese.  Maybe that isn't haute cuisine, but neither is f'in toast.

I'm not a Jeremy fan, but still, at least this season has no one in the top 3 who just shouldn't be there and they're all pretty evenly matched with strengths and weaknesses.

One other thing that's been bugging me: this season the judges seem to be collectively vexed at the number of crudo plates.  I could have sworn that in seasons past, there were equally as many, if not more, civeches presented.  I'd have to go back through ep guides, but maybe somewhere around S5/S6?

• Love 1

My guess now is that Jeremy is going against the winner from LCK now. Something about 'the looks' from judges to cheftestants and the reactions by cheftestants in this episode. Maybe it is just me. I don't know. I'll be interested in reading what you all have to say.

Wasn't crazy about Marjorie telling Isaac to shut up but later she told someone else to shut up too so maybe it's Marjorie being Marjorie and there is nothing wrong with that IMO. Again will enjoy reading what you all have to say.

Have a great day, all.

• Love 2
(edited)

Happy Issac is still in it! 

I was glad that Carl won the quickfire, since his dish was apparently only at the bottom because of the whole "seafood and cheese is ick" meme rather than any actual flaws. I was disappointed that it was at Amar's expense, however. Perhaps Carl was, too, and that was why he self-sabotaged himself out the door. Ah, well, guess I have to get behind Isaac, because LCK continues to be a blight on the planet (n.b.: I was one of the few who was behind the Kristen elimination at the time -- and still am -- since she also went home for self-sabotage, just of a different sort), although I'd also be fine with a Marjorie win.

Thats an interesting question for me.  There are some things I just don't like, and I'll probably never like....liver for instance, and carrots.  A person could flawlessly execute a liver dish with perfect carrots and I would find it gross.  So how do they really judge something that is well done, but just not to their taste?  Perhaps ManBun was right in that way and you do have to cook to the judges tastes.  I mean of course thats not how ManBun meant it, but still.

Based on the three that are left, I will pick Marjorie for the win, though my heart kind of wants Isaac. Whatever her beef was/is with him (if there ever really was some kind of beef), hopefully he's earned some respect from her now that he's made it to the final three with her.

If I were Issac I wouldn't mind not having the respect of someone who considers Angelina a "beast" in the kitchen.  

My guess now is that Jeremy is going against the winner from LCK now. Something about 'the looks' from judges to cheftestants and the reactions by cheftestants in this episode. Maybe it is just me. I don't know. I'll be interested in reading what you all have to say.

Wasn't crazy about Marjorie telling Isaac to shut up but later she told someone else to shut up too so maybe it's Marjorie being Marjorie and there is nothing wrong with that IMO. Again will enjoy reading what you all have to say.

Have a great day, all.

I wonder how she would feel if someone told her to shut up or punched her in the arm?

Looks like we'll never know.

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 7

I like Marjorie.  She said shut up to Jeremy last night and we saw her punch Amar in the arm several times.  It is her personality to banter that way.  It is almost flirtatious, at times, and a show of affection.  Makes me think she grew up with brothers.  

I don't like Issac and don't think he can win.  He is there by default; Carl (smack in the head) made a bigger mistake.  I hope Carl comes back and either he or Marjorie win.  I love the names of his daughters, Poppy and Ivy.  

I don't like Jeremy but he really paid attention to Hubert about laying out his plate with a drawing and going for a delicate touch. Kudos on that "dude."  

I wish fancy toast really was sweeping the nation.  I would love to have that choice when out and want something good but smaller than the usual luncheon fare.  I have been putting sliced avocado and cayenne on good toast for years and love it.

Off to look for the platform.  Where was it, the quickfire or in FDL?  

• Love 5

Happy Issac is still in it!

Thats an interesting question for me. There are some things I just don't like, and I'll probably never like....liver for instance, and carrots. A person could flawlessly execute a liver dish with perfect carrots and I would find it gross. So how do they really judge something that is well done, but just not to their taste? Perhaps ManBun was right in that way and you do have to cook to the judges tastes. I mean of course thats not how ManBun meant it, but still.

If I were Issac I wouldn't mind not having the respect of someone who considers Angelina a "beast" in the kitchen.

I wonder how she would feel if someone told her to shut up or punched her in the arm?

Looks like we'll never know.

Oh I know, RC. She probably wouldn't let someone get away with telling her to shut up or punch her in the arm. She'd return either the punch in the arm or with a 'no you shut up'.

This groups dynamic appears to be different than other seasons. They seem to get along better or have worked harder to appear to get along.

Lol I'm thinking about Sarah/Heather vs Beverly specifically. There was another chef involved too but can't remember her name right now. I believe there was some fallout from them not getting along.

Lol, wish I had a memory. Darn it. :D

• Love 1

Actually, physical assault and abusive speech aren't OK from anyone, and particularly from someone who is the head of a brigade, who acts as the equivalent of a military officer toward the people who work for them, and can't be hit or spoken back to, and holds peoples' livelihood in their hands. But, we all know that.

I love Traci des Jardins and Hubert Keller. They're the good kind of old school. Sorry she got stuck judging crostini.

• Love 6

I think it's shitty that anyone got eliminated in a sudden-death quickfire this close to the Finals, let alone Amar.

I was thinking that the final four would be Amar, Isaac, Kwame and Carl until last week. I would have been happy with any of those four winning. Instead, we have Douchetool and Punchy. All we need now is Hosea, Ilan, Lisa Fernandes and Robin from the Volt Brothers' season to round out the douchefecta. Hopefully one of the eliminated Amar, Kwame or Carl will return from LCK to balance out the tooliness.

• Love 6

Sorry to see Carl go, but he sabotaged himself. Sigh. Looks like Jeremy is going to sail to the win, hmmm? Isaac is an awesome chef but not
"fine dining" enough, Marjorie seems to be handling the pressure less and less well. Jeremy is peaking at the right time. But I still don't like him. He not only told his daughter that second place is the first to lose, but he also took credit for her reaching a reading milestone at her school "that's because I made you read all those books". A pet peeve of mine is parents who take credit for their kids' accomplishments. shrug.

Padma remains insufferable. I wish Marjorie would tell her to shut up. Just once. The show would be vastly improved for me if both Padma and Tom were replaced.

I think it's shitty that anyone got eliminated in a sudden-death quickfire this close to the Finals, let alone Amar.

I was thinking that the final four would be Amar, Isaac, Kwame and Carl until last week. I would have been happy with any of those four winning. Instead, we have Douchetool and Punchy. All we need now is Hosea, Ilan, Lisa Fernandes and Robin from the Volt Brothers' season to round out the douchefecta. Hopefully one of the eliminated Amar, Kwame or Carl will return from LCK to balance out the tooliness.

My life has been made richer by the addition of the term Douchefecta, which I intend incorporate into my lexicon immediately. Thank you, The Solution!

• Love 2

I had avocado toast for breakfast a few days ago, with a scrambled egg. I definitely wouldn't order that in a restaurant.

I find both Jeremy and Marjorie off-putting. I can see how she might not mean "shut up" maliciously, like "Aw, shut up," but that punching thing would annoy the shit out of me and I'd have called her on it the first time she did it. I know she's not doing it to cause harm, but still. Jeremy is just such a bro, and I don't like that type of guy. (I looked at Jeremy's Bravo bio the other day and apparently he's only 30. He looks ten years older, to me.)

Hubert Keller seems like such a sweetheart. It was nice to see Harold again - he's long been one of my favorite winners.

Sad to see Amar go, and it's got to sting to go out like that. Not that sad to see Carl go, because that was just a dumb move. There's a huge difference between days and hours, and setting yourself up for failure that way is just silly.

• Love 2

In Restaurant Wars, Carl attempted to make a terrine that everyone says should take a few days to prepare and failed miserably. So now he thinks he is going to be able to make a foie gras torchon in a few hours that everyone says should take a few days to prepare. I guess Carl is not someone who learns from prior experience.

• Love 14
(edited)

Jeremy is just such a bro, and I don't like that type of guy. (I looked at Jeremy's Bravo bio the other day and apparently he's only 30. He looks ten years older, to me.)

Jeremy looks like he could play Charlie Brown in a Peanuts porno.

Just had to put that out there.  for you lovebug1975

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 8

I get the feeling Marjorie doesn't have a lot of social skills. If she grew up with missionary parents and did lots of time in soup kitchens (I seem to remember that from a past episode), perhaps she didn't have the opportunity to really learn how to interact with peers. I also wonder if she's a bit ill at ease with men, or perhaps she feels like she has to compete with them in the kitchen and this is how she acts out to be one of the guys. I don't see any animosity in the shut-up or punching (which I hate, by the way); it seems more like arrested development. It sounds weird, but there is a difference in the hitting/punching thing. For example, I worked in a place where the owner regularly would hit the women employees with whatever he was carrying (a newspaper, empty water bottle, and once, a fire poker). He would have said it was all in good fun (what the hell?) but it was definitely a sign of his dominance and continued til he hit the wrong woman with a newspaper.

Though I don't like Marjorie, I don't take her punches as a dominance/control thing, nor do I consider her "shut-ups" to be verbally abusive. It puts me in mind of an awkward teenager trying to fit in. However, if I was on the receiving end of one of her punches, I think I'd grab her hand and said "do not do that again!" or I'd give it back.

I think my issue with her is the basic lack of respect she gives to certain people, such as in this instance, Isaac. Maybe he reminds her of someone she doesn't like or had a bad experience with, but she seems very harsh and judgmental of him for no obvious reason. If she doesn't like him, I can accept that; some people rub you the wrong way. If that's the case, she needs to grow the hell up and learn how to be professional about it because life, and the kitchen, is going to be chock full of people you don't like and don't like you. Her dislike of him has shown up in subtle ways and it's been particularly glaring because she's been the only contestant I've noticed throughout the competition who's regularly condescending/dismissive of another chef throughout the competition. And since Isaac has been so go-with-the-flow and hasn't taken it personally, her animosity towards him stands out even more, to me. And when you throw in the Angelina adoration (which I'm really having a hard time understanding, for some reason), the disparity is even more glaring.

Marjorie's what? 30 years old? And I think Angelina is 25??? Everyone acts like Angelina is a teenager, but she's not all that much younger than many of the other chefs. I know the five years difference in their careers is a lot of time in terms of a culinary career, but ffs, it's not like Angelina is young enough to be Marjorie's daughter or even her niece. Kwame is about the same age as Angelina, and while the other chefs talk about his youth and his potential career growth, he acts far more grown up than Angelina, and I felt that any protective inclination the other chefs felt toward him was because he is such a nice, sweet guy and not so much because he's young. Kwame, in my opinion, was much more mature than Angelina and Marjorie. Though his past issues affected his performance in the competition, he was always professional, respectful and took criticism well. I can't say that about Marjorie or Angelina (or Man Bun).

• Love 11

I more or less sleepwalked through last night's episode, truth be told.  I'm just not "excited" about anyone left standing since Kwame got the boot last week (as he deserved, to be sure).  I mean, Isaac comes across as a good guy, but I can't completely discount the possibility that at least some of Marjorie's snark towards him is earned (believe me, it pains me to type that, because I just do not like Marjorie as portrayed by the show...AT ALL).  Jeremy can seriously fuck off.

In any event, I won't be truly excited about the winner this year.

• Love 4
(edited)

In any event, I won't be truly excited about the winner this year.

Unfortunately, that is the way I feel too. None of the remaining cheftestants has shown the skill of a Voltagio or a Blais (I know, I know, he is a douche, but a hell of a chef) or an Izard or even a Kish, but have all just sorta kept their heads up and cooked. Reminds me of the DC season with solid chefs, but no one special. Marjorie is workman like and solid, Jeremy is wildly inconsistent (those were the first really successful dishes he actually cooked i.e. non crudo) and Isaac makes food I'd love to eat, but certainly not at the creative level of others and he DOES lack the refinement and top notch chef skills of others in the past.

I like Isaac's personality and the fact that he has one and it is not annoying is a victory in and of itself this season. However, it seems like the other cheftestants aren't all that fond of him, and not just Marjorie. There does not seem to be a lot of connections or warmth among them. Maybe he is a little over the top and after these few weeks the good ol Cajun boy thing is wearing thin.

Couple of random observations:

1. I am normally a fan of Michael Chiarello, but his head kept popping up in the background and he looked pissed that he was not at the "cool kids table". Finalist in the first TC Master and he is in the background!

2. Notice that there were no plugs for Terlato wines at the dinner at FDL. Hubert must have opened up the cellar for that meal!

3. I think HK is always great when he appears on this show or basically any TV show, but the scene in his restaurant was deadly boring. Even Emeril couldn't inject any life into it.

4. Did seem arbitrary to have the sudden death QF this late in the game.

5. Why the 3 hour time limit in the elimination challenge? Give them a reasonable amount of time to prepare a complicated dish to honor a legendary place. May still not have been enough time for Carl, but it did not make sense to limit it to 3 hours.

6. There seemed to be some editing monkey business in the order in which dishes were presented. When Carl came back, it looked like Marjorie's dish was still sitting on the counter and on the show Carl's went out last. Maybe that was the food for the other guests, but me thinks the editing monkeys were trying to create more drama!

7. Ewwwww-there was a lot of sweating going on! Where did that drop at the end of Jeremy's nose end up?

Edited by AriAu
  • Love 4

I get the feeling Marjorie doesn't have a lot of social skills. If she grew up with missionary parents and did lots of time in soup kitchens (I seem to remember that from a past episode), perhaps she didn't have the opportunity to really learn how to interact with peers. I also wonder if she's a bit ill at ease with men, or perhaps she feels like she has to compete with them in the kitchen and this is how she acts out to be one of the guys. I don't see any animosity in the shut-up or punching (which I hate, by the way); it seems more like arrested development. 

[snip]

This is how I see it, too.  

I can see her winning because she has the experience and has learned some things directly related to cooking for the judges.  With no restrictions and owing a successful restaurant she can stay in her comfort zone without being limited.  Carl would be her only competition.  I don't think he will be back, see my post in LCK for my logic on this.  If Carl does not come back I would like to see her win.  

I will root for Carl if he returns.  

I don't get the Issac love. I don't hate the guy, I just don't find him compelling.   He is limited and got to the finale by default.  Almost all of the chefs who left were better.  Carl, Amar, Grayson, Jason, Karen to name 5.   

Jeremy is a wild card.  If he is smart he will stay with French cuisine since he excelled in that challenge.  

• Love 2
(edited)

Before I talk about my darling Hubert Keller, I just have to say: there's a toast craze? Sweet Jesus. I thought Amar should have stayed over Carl in the Quickfire because he actually you know, cooked something.

I can't stand Jeremy.

I could swear someone in another season tried to make a tourchon- did I spell that right? - and failed just as miserably as Carl.

It was Mike Voltaggio, who had to make enough for 150 people (and a vegetarian dish), but he had 5 hours (vs 40 in 3 hours). His tourchon was great, it was his raw egg in the vegetarian dish that was the issue.

I've never made it before in my life, nor do I know how to make it, but I find it strange that here they kept talking about how it's a challenge for Carl, but it seemed no one was impressed by MVolt making it. 

And didn't Jen Carroll also say something about second place being the first loser? It seems strange that some people would knock Jeremy for it while she was very well liked in her first season. It just seems like a "reality show line" to me. 

Them magic editing elves. 

Edited by systemsgo
  • Love 3

Here is the thing about the SDQ....when it first came out, and when it was presented earlier this season, I thought there was one chef declared "the bottom" and they chose who to cook against.  If the losing chef lost the cook off, they went home, if the losing chef won the cookoff, everyone stayed.  That's how I remembered the sudden death quickfire.

I don't get the Issac love. I don't hate the guy, I just don't find him compelling.   He is limited and got to the finale by default.  Almost all of the chefs who left were better.  Carl, Amar, Grayson, Jason, Karen to name 5.   

He is humble, humorous and makes tasty food that doesn't try to be pretentious.  He doesn't look down on others and always seems respectful and quick to throw out a compliment.  He always seems like the first person to congratulate another contestant for a win.  These make him a likable person.  His over the top personality works for me, but I don't think its cloying as I've seen him tone it down when he needs to get down to business.  He seems like a happy and joyous person, which is a nice contrast to some of his competition.

• Love 18
(edited)

Unfortunately, that is the way I feel too. None of the remaining cheftestants has shown the skill of a Voltagio or a Blais (I know, I know, he is a douche, but a hell of a chef) or an Izard or even a Kish, but have all just sorta kept their heads up and cooked. Reminds me of the DC season with solid chefs, but no one special. Marjorie is workman like and solid, Jeremy is wildly inconsistent (those were the first really successful dishes he actually cooked i.e. non crudo) and Isaac makes food I'd love to eat, but certainly not at the creative level of others and he DOES lack the refinement and top notch chef skills of others in the past.

I like Isaac's personality and the fact that he has one and it is not annoying is a victory in and of itself this season. However, it seems like the other cheftestants aren't all that fond of him, and not just Marjorie. There does not seem to be a lot of connections or warmth among them. Maybe he is a little over the top and after these few weeks the good ol Cajun boy thing is wearing thin.

Couple of random observations:

1. I am normally a fan of Michael Chiarello, but his head kept popping up in the background and he looked pissed that he was not at the "cool kids table". Finalist in the first TC Master and he is in the background!

2. Notice that there were no plugs for Terlato wines at the dinner at FDL. Hubert must have opened up the cellar for that meal!

3. I think HK is always great when he appears on this show or basically any TV show, but the scene in his restaurant was deadly boring. Even Emeril couldn't inject any life into it.

5. Why the 3 hour time limit in the elimination challenge? Give them a reasonable amount of time to prepare a complicated dish to honor a legendary place. May still not have been enough time for Carl, but it did not make sense to limit it to 3 hours.

6. There seemed to be some editing monkey business in the order in which dishes were presented. When Carl came back, it looked like Marjorie's dish was still sitting on the counter and on the show Carl's went out last. Maybe that was the food for the other guests, but me thinks the editing monkeys were trying to create more drama!

7. Ewwwww-there was a lot of sweating going on! Where did that drop at the end of Jeremy's nose end up?

Yeah, I am with you on not having a shining star on this cast.  I would add Carla to that list, as well.  

I attribute the boring dinner, in part, due to it was the last meal ever to be cooked there.  A hushed respect and reverence dominated the mood.  

I get it that Issac is a good guy and very friendly but at this point I do see some of the chefs tiring of his personality and there is probably some attitude about how did this Cajun guy make it so far?  I don't think they respect his background all that much.  

---------------------------------------------

There have to be interesting ways to eliminate chefs.  Amar didn't leave over toast; he had the chance to cook anything he wanted to save himself.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1

I totally agree!  I wish they had had more time, to really do justice to the meal and the setting.  I really wanted to see them all successful, and not making mistakes due to the limited prep time.  (Although of course, even that wouldn't have saved Carl or Isaac.)

I was going to mention that, too!  They clearly showed a big drop of sweat coming off his nose.  Disgusting.  It looked as it if fell into a pot he was stirring on the stove.  At this stage in their careers, haven't they developed a way to deal with dripping sweat?  Or do chefs not care?  Or sweatbands just wouldn't look cool enough on tv? (And I can say the same about lack of hair/beard nets.)

• Love 1
(edited)

And didn't Jen Carroll also say something about second place being the first loser? It seems strange that some people would knock Jeremy for it while she was very well liked in her first season. It just seems like a "reality show line" to me.

It is fine for adults to take that attitude but Jeremy said it to his daughter.  You just don't want that to be a message to a child.  My father did this sort of thing.  Believe me when I say that it is not a good esteem builder!  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 4

Jen was saying it as an adult, but relaying it as something her father had always taught her.  So, same scenario as Jeremy saying it to his child, just fast-forward a couple of decades.

• Love 1

Jen was saying it as an adult, but relaying it as something her father had always taught her.  So, same scenario as Jeremy saying it to his child, just fast-forward a couple of decades.

I didn't like Jen's attitude even during her first season, but my first reaction when I hear that someone has been the victim of parental malpractice is not to blame the kid.

(edited)
I didn't like Jen's attitude even during her first season, but my first reaction when I hear that someone has been the victim of parental malpractice is not to blame the kid.

I didn't; I said her father did the same thing to her as a child Jeremy is currently doing to his daughter.

Edited by Bastet