Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E13: Back Where It All Started

• Start Topic

Top Chef is about being able to do a lot of things, not just be "refined" whatever that means. I'm assuming classical French cooking. But to be Top Chef it seems like you need a range. I'm assuming that all the chef's can do refined food, some better than others (AHMAHRRRR!) However, Marjorie talks like if your food isn't refined you shouldn't be there. That is not her decision to make and saying that Issac is "Great and amazing, BUT his food isn't refined as other chefs" more than once is pretty backstabby. Jeremy might deserve to be where he is now, because he can pull off "Super" refined food that pleases the best of the best, yet also master something simple like toast. As long as he doesn't speak "It's going to be a gastropub for surfers with a rooftop and hot chicks serving..." he is just fine. Maybe.

Apparently, Issac's strong point is cooking meat, and that's Marjorie's weakness. Maybe she is a bit intimidated? Amar liked to cook chicken, Carl liked to make ground up grey pate looking things that no one liked, and Jeremy is into crudo. So maybe Issac will be able to bring the chefs something they haven't had before. 

I really hope Amar comes back. 

• Love 7
(edited)

This Marjorie quote, that Isaac's cooking is not as refined as the others, isn't that the simple truth? Isaac has even said it talking about himself. If Marjorie ever said that Isaac can't cook or that his food tastes like crap, I could better understand the outrage.

To me, it seems like the editors are using it to create Isaac's storyline - the unrefined chef who makes delicious food, how far can he go?

Edited by micat
  • Love 8

I think I'm completely alone in this, but I don't really see Marjorie's disdain for Isaac.  Honestly, not seeing it. I think maybe she doesn't have great social skills, that's it.

I heard her tell the other guys to "shut up!" during this episode, so I think it's just her way of being funny.

One thing I noticed was the lovely black dress Marjorie was wearing. Where was that dress when she was front of house?

• Love 3

Marjorie's punching and joylessly delivered "Shut up, so-and-so"s are what you typically see among middle schoolers joking around, waiting for the school bus.  You know, the way you interact with the opposite sex when you first start wanting to interact with them, but still don't know how.

It's cringe-worthy to see in a grown woman in a professional setting.

• Love 2

One thing I noticed was the lovely black dress Marjorie was wearing. Where was that dress when she was front of house?

I thought there were rules against stirring up hornets nests around here!!:))

• Love 1
(edited)

Without any apology to the Marjorie fans, that woman is a fucking bitch. She's emotionally immature (the punching, the low self esteem/nerves/fears) and she's rude and disrespectful to Isaac. I don't care if Isaac spent his 10 years with Emeril washing dishes - he has a more professional attitude than Marjorie has shown this entire competition. There is simply no excuse for her constant harping about Isaac. The Seattle/Alaska season had the chef from Hawaii who worked his way up from dishwasher to cook to chef and not a single chef in the season said a bad word about him. No comments about his lack of refinement or limited knowledge of classic techniques. And the Hawaiian chef made it to the finals. So fuck off Marjorie. You might want to learn how to be more like George Paganos and less like Mike Isabella.

As for Jenn Carrol, her biggest problem (aside from having a father who told her repeatedly as a child that second place is the first loser) was her drinking. She drank too much during S6, she was obviously drunk during the All Stars reunion and her unprofessional behavior on All Stars led to Eric Ripert firing her. FIRING her as the chef at Four Arts in Philly. Because in the really real world, the best chefs simply do not tolerate unprofessional behavior when a chef representing them goes off the deep end. But as Marjorie works for Mike Isabella her job is obviously not on the line because he's a bigger douche than she is.

A couple of corrections. Marjorie doesn't work for Mike Isabella. She used to but has had her own restaurant for awhile now. I also don't think Jen Carroll was fired by Eric Ripert.

I don't think Marjorie's comment on Issac's lack of refinement has to do with his training. Just that the food he puts out in the competition is more rustic or overly narrow and not really fine dining or diverse enough. This isn't the first season where a contestant has mentioned this about another contestant. It's actually happened many times before. Off the top of my head, people who were criticized for this include Carlos (who cooked Mexican), Josh (who cooked a lot of pork), Carla (who cooked more homey dishes), Kevin (more rustic style vs the Voltaggios' style). I don't necessarily agree with this point of view but some feel that those who cook more fine dining and take more risks (and don't just cook one type of ethnic cuisine) are more deserving in this competition. Heck, this board complained about George cooking a couple of Greek dishes last season.

Edited by Noreaster
  • Love 6

I heard her tell the other guys to "shut up!" during this episode, so I think it's just her way of being funny.

That dress didn't seem that comfortable to me. As FOH needing to run back and forth to the kitchen (at least in how this show runs restaurant wars), I would probably prioritize comfort. Wasn't it last season when the woman eliminated wore really high heels and was shown struggling to manage the FOH position in part because of how she dressed?

I still think the focus on Marjorie's FOH attire is a bit much given how none of the judges or anyone else on the show mentioned it.

• Love 8

That dress didn't seem that comfortable to me. As FOH needing to run back and forth to the kitchen (at least in how this show runs restaurant wars), I would probably prioritize comfort. Wasn't it last season when the woman eliminated wore really high heels and was shown struggling to manage the FOH position in part because of how she dressed?

I still think the focus on Marjorie's FOH attire is a bit much given how none of the judges or anyone else on the show mentioned it.

She could have easily paired that dress with a pair of flats and looked about a million times better than she looked as FOH.  If comfort was the main priority, she should have just thrown away all pretense and worn sweats, those would have been even more comfortable, because of the relaxed waistband and would have allowed her to run back and forth with greater ease.  

I thought what she wore was fine. It didn't really stand out to me one way or the other. And again, it's not as if the judges have ever rewarded or penalized FOH people for their attire so I don't think it's a big deal.

And Marjorie's team won and Marjorie was shown to do a good job at FOH so I really really don't think it's a big deal.

• Love 6

I thought what she wore was fine. It didn't really stand out to me one way or the other. And again, it's not as if the judges have ever rewarded or penalized FOH people for their attire so I don't think it's a big deal.

And Marjorie's team won and Marjorie was shown to do a good job at FOH so I really really don't think it's a big deal.

She wasn't even dressed as nicely as the clientele, and I've never seen that as a FOH in a restaurant.  Actually, I take that back, I've seen that in hipster joints I associate with the likes of ManBun, where everyone takes pride in "being rebels and breaking all the rules." But in those places everyone is dressed like a hipster except me, and they are probably skateboarding to the place.   No one doubts that Marjorie did a good job, she was just dressed inappropriately.  Heck, even ManBun dressed better.

• Love 1

I've seen FOH dress casually in all levels of dining, with the exception of fine dining. In multiple US cities. The trend in restaurants has been toward more casual ambiance for many years now.

• Love 2

I've seen FOH dress casually in all levels of dining, with the exception of fine dining. In multiple US cities. The trend in restaurants has been toward more casual ambiance for many years now.

The trend in everything has been toward more casual for many years now.

(edited)

Reading this endless, four-episode-spanning discussion of Marjorie's outfits, you would think that the woman wore assless chaps during service, and rubbed her exposed butthole all over people's food. 

Edited by Corgi-ears
  • Love 18

Reading this endless, four-episode-spanning discussion of Marjorie's outfits, you would think that the woman wore assless chaps during service, and rubbed her exposed butthole all over people's food. 

I would pay to watch that.

I'm so excited for you!  And jealous!  You can find Edam (Dutch cheese) at Vons, or whoever their parent company is.  Its not exactly like belizean cheese, but its close enough.  Hard to find good guava jam (I've never found a good store brand).

This bread is delicious!  The coconut milk is what makes it stand apart from other white breads.  I have used the guava jam but I have come to prefer the hot pepper jelly (Pepperlane brand) and Edam cheese.   So good!  Thanks.

• Love 1

This bread is delicious!  The coconut milk is what makes it stand apart from other white breads.  I have used the guava jam but I have come to prefer the hot pepper jelly (Pepperlane brand) and Edam cheese.   So good!  Thanks.

I can't believe you actually made it!??!?  That is so awesome, and I'm excited you found a good recipe online.  Hot pepper jelly and edam cheese sounds amazing on creole bread.  You're making me crave some glutens!

I can't believe you actually made it!??!?  That is so awesome, and I'm excited you found a good recipe online.  Hot pepper jelly and edam cheese sounds amazing on creole bread.  You're making me crave some glutens!

I steer clear of gluten, too.  My weakness is bread, big time.  Your description made me succumb. I had to make that bread.  The entire loaf is gone so back to gluten free eating as much as I can!  

• Love 1

I steer clear of gluten, too.  My weakness is bread, big time.  Your description made me succumb. I had to make that bread.  The entire loaf is gone so back to gluten free eating as much as I can!  

If I was going to break my gluten fast for anything, it would be for a thick slice of creole bread, covered in guava jelly (or maybe pepper jelly, because that sounds interesting!), homemade refried beans, and Edam cheese on top.  I think that is so neat that you went out, found it, and made it!  I could easily polish off a loaf of creole bread by myself.  I'm so glad I only know how to eat belizean food and not make it.  Didn't realize that it was coconut milk that gave it its special flavor, it makes sense, a lot of belizean dishes use coconut milk.  

Either way, my hats off to you, its pretty cool that you went and found the recipe and were adventurous enough to make it.  :)

• Love 2

If I was going to break my gluten fast for anything, it would be for a thick slice of creole bread, covered in guava jelly (or maybe pepper jelly, because that sounds interesting!), homemade refried beans, and Edam cheese on top.  I think that is so neat that you went out, found it, and made it!  I could easily polish off a loaf of creole bread by myself.  I'm so glad I only know how to eat belizean food and not make it.  Didn't realize that it was coconut milk that gave it its special flavor, it makes sense, a lot of belizean dishes use coconut milk.  

Either way, my hats off to you, its pretty cool that you went and found the recipe and were adventurous enough to make it.  :)

Cooking is my creative hobby and I will make anything I want to eat!  I made a lot of Carla's recipes on her season.  Others, too. 

This is a favorite of mine.  Gluten of course.  

http://arethereanymorecookies.blogspot.com/2007/09/top-chef-sara-ms-savory-tomato-bread.html

• Love 1

Pepper jelly is divine. We always have it with cream cheese and crackers at Christmas. And now I've got a hankering for some guava jelly too. I don't eat a lot of bread these days, but I've got to try that creole stuff.

I eat it with cream cheese on crackers, too.  The guava jelly is very sweet.  VERY and it could be substituted with any kind of jam, really.  I did not think it's taste was crucial.  I like Major Greys chutney with cheese, too.  

Pepperlane brand pepper jelly is the best, it has more taste to it than others.  They make a bunch of different kinds of pepper jelly, not just one.  

Edited by wings707