Type keyword(s) to search

S28.E02: You Look Like Gollum

• Start Topic

I was on a cruise that stopped in Cartagena.  We're going on that same itinerary in December, and have already decided we are NOT getting off the ship in Cartagena.  Scariest port we've ever visited.  We'll be watching just to see if everyone gets out of there safely.

• Love 4

"A fish went into (my crotch.) when I as younger"  I don't blame her for being freaked out by that (and admittedly that is one of my nightmares.)  Meanwhile I was freaked out by Blair's...laugh? Scream? Shriek? At the Speed Bump. 

If only we had some Dancing Phil to go with the music.  

Sorry to see  Marty/Hagan go but oy, that was a bad move relying the local on that.  "Just over there" can mean ANYTHING in terms of distance. 

• Love 1

So long, Marty and Hagan. I found myself hoping both they and Darius and Cameron were still in it. They were two of the few of the teams that stood out for me. Why would you need a hairdryer on the race, let alone a curling iron as well?

First, someone drops the mask pieces on the first Roadblock. Now Korey drops the emerald for this one (though he and Tyler made up for it by being Team #1). I hope this isn't the season of butterfingers.

I'm short, so I would've had to do the "Barbacoa" Detour. Plus, that food looked really good. "I cut myself with a knife, 'cause I'm a genius," did get a small laugh out of me. I hope she got a bandage.

I wonder why TAR hasn't gone to Columbia before.

As far as next week's episode goes: "Kisses for pesos!" Seriously? Already shaking my head.

Edited by InDueTime
  • Love 2

One overmatched parent/child team gone, two to go. And it's fitting that the pair with the one video between them wound up bowing out first.

No real villains thus far, though I can see where some Racers can be annoying. Darius & Cameron lack drive, and that could harm them down the road. On the flip side, Tyler continues to be adorable, as does Korey.

Loved the post-Pit Stop conversation between Phil and Blair. She brought a curling iron and a hair dryer, but didn't pack a decent swimsuit? Oy. Haziness must run in the family. Sorry, Scott.

• Love 6

I did not enjoy this episode, and wanted to mute it or turn it off constantly. It looked like great tasks, which were ruined by shrieking. And the stupidity. My God the stupidity. Not having a bathing suit but having a curling iron and hair dryer? What??? I may have to take up drinking to get through this season. I do not like most of these people.

• Love 16

Seems like every season I comment on the absurdity of racers competing while wearing a full face of makeup at all times but never once did I imagine one would bring not just a hair dryer but also a curling iron.  I just can't with Blair.

• Love 9

I like T & K.  Happy they finished first.

D & C almost blew it at the airport.  You can't just wander aimlessly.  Then they screw up again, I like them, but they appear doomed.

M & H make the big screw up giving up their taxi.  Adios.

A hair dryer and a curling iron?  And daddy lugs it around for her?  She's past Princess, she's a Queen in Training.  They won't last.

Team Brody and 'Bama can leave any time.  The rest still kind of blur together into hyperactive, screaming meh.  Dancer dude and Zach are kind of annoying.  They all could turn it down a notch.

Fish in the crotch, oh my!  

Hard to tell which detour was tougher.  The mud pit was fun.

• Love 4

Remember when Race contestants were all these hyperdriven fitness-fanatic Type A's ?

This ... is not that group.

I get it now -- this is going to be another 'goofy' season, like the dating season.

Okay, I can laugh at people and feel superior.  That's fun.

But geez, Race, you used to be better than that.

• Love 9

Playing frisbee for 10 years together with definitely give them a leg up on the competition... if they knew anything about the show that is. Which they obviously don't. But that won't keep them from cheering for themselves at every turn like they've just won the million dollars. Dudes, you're not screaming to each other accross a field... the microphones will do fine picking you up if you dial it down sayyyy 5 or 6 notches,

And speaking of annoying, Cole, it's not pronounced Cart-a-GEEEEN-a. And you still annoy me. I remember last week pal.

Yeah don't get fooled by one of those pink emeralds. *eye roll*

Tyler reallllly needs to work on that comic like huh yuk yuk yuk laugh he has going. Oh man...

I'm not sure if we tab this one as 'Cab Luck' really more drop off luck?? But that just goes to show they should have turned back half way instead of doing that huge run... unfortunate

• Love 2

My son is Tyler and my husband is Corey so I am predisposed to root for Tyler and Korey, although we never ever call our son Ty. Just our preference.

Blair may have been a spaz, but I wouldn't want to grab a live floppy fish either. It's why I don't go fishing.

Mud + stairs = hell no.

• Love 1

My son is Tyler and my husband is Corey so I am predisposed to root for Tyler and Korey, although we never ever call our son Ty. Just our preference.

Blair may have been a spaz, but I wouldn't want to grab a live floppy fish either. It's why I don't go fishing.

Mud + stairs = hell no.

I did think there was gonna be someone falling down the stairs. I was shocked when no one did. Does that make me a horrible person? LOL!!

• Love 1
I did think there was gonna be someone falling down the stairs. I was shocked when no one did. Does that make me a horrible person? LOL!!

No, but being dissapointed that nobody did would have gotten you closer *grins*

And yes there were two CartaGEENa people.

Edited by Wandering Snark
  • Love 2

She said that she got rid of the bathing suit when she was removing things from her pack, and didn't know if shorts would meet the "bathing suit" requirement. 

I forgot about the pink emerald. I knew there were a few idiotic statements this episode, but it was so much squealing. 

• Love 1

I like T & K.  Happy they finished first.

D & C almost blew it at the airport.  You can't just wander aimlessly.  Then they screw up again, I like them, but they appear doomed.

M & H make the big screw up giving up their taxi.  Adios.

A hair dryer and a curling iron?  And daddy lugs it around for her?  She's past Princess, she's a Queen in Training.  They won't last.

Hard to tell which detour was tougher.  The mud pit was fun.

To me, it appears that T & K and the Frisbee bros are the toughest competition -- they seem like the two teams least likely to make major unforced errors.

Last week I had thought the notHarvard brothers were a sleeper team.  I was clearly wrong.  They seemed to have never been in an airport before, and missing the juice stand suggests they're going to have huge navigation problems.  Maybe they'll pull it together, but they blew it in the airport by clearly not tracking down someone to help them, and I can't see them getting that skill now.

I agree that the two detours seemed pretty equally matched.  It seems like the show has had trouble with that a lot more than it should, even in Mexico City where the mariachi one was much easier.  Hopefully this marks a change.

I'm hoping the curling iron and daddy team go next.  That's just weak.

Mel Brooks said "Tragedy is when I cut my finger.  Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die.”  Falling down muddy stairs probably also counts as comedy by that measure.

• Love 2

I.cant.take.all.the excessive.screamng. STFU! Thank you.

Amen! Enough already with Blair screeching "Daddy" every five minutes. Too many young ladies screaming and screeching; poor locals!

Edited by CSunshine76
  • Love 16

I agree that bringing both a hairdryer AND a curling iron is ridiculous, but why was Phil so incredulous that she brought a hairdryer on the race? I've watched the show for years, and a lot of racers, esp. the women, often look camera-ready - both hair and makeup-wise. Surely Blair's not the first to pack a hairdryer!

The YouTube mentality is really starting to show - notice how the young woman cleaning the fish (I haven't learned their names yet) starting telling a long story to the camera (fish, underwear, crotch....) - cuz they're just so used to narrating everything they do. Thankfully, the other one cut her off and told her to focus on the task.

The Amazing Editors struck again - right after the NotHarvard brothers talked about how smart they are, they were then shown lounging around the airport while other teams passed them by. Like Phil said - book smart does not equal race smarts. Hey, at least they kept their taxi.

• Love 8

Dana and Matt's relationship is dooooomed. And Dana needs to shut. up.

I was expecting the teams to have to harvest cocaine in Colombia.

I'm tired of the brothers telling us how smart they are.

The flight attendant can't pronounce Spanish and can't use her supposed experience flying to get an early flight.

Kurt and Brodie need to stfu.

I don't know who it was who told the beauty guru that she should do a beauty tutorial about her hair after the mud, but that was funny.

Damn, that fish looked good!

The title should have been "Do you know how to gut a fish?"

"Mas rapido" means faster.  Quit saying faster, say "rapido".  Dammit.

• Love 5

How is Cartagena pronouced?  I missed the first 5 ish minutes thanks to my tv being a butt and had to reset the cable doohickey thing. 

I hope the brothers kick it into gear soon- I like them- they're the most mellowest of the bunch!  Way too much high pitched squeaking by females this leg and mauling of the poor locals again.

As for racers talking/telling stories while doing tasks- I don't think this crowd is any less guilty than past racers.  I've seen racers go on and on with the camera (and even not looking at the camera - looking at you Justin and blabbering to Kelsey and Joey instead of paying attention to the task...).

That mud pit thing looked rather cool lol.  Nice to see Tyler and Korey in first- I like them also... I think some teams are underestimating them a little bit.

Whoops... yep big mistake with not getting a cab.  Why didn't they get a cab after they were done at the detour though since they had already discovered they made the mistake of thinking it was "just up the road" for the detour? 

• Love 1
I'm tired of the brothers telling us how smart they are.

I am kind of starting to like them and do believe they are smart. Would an average person use the phrase "our lack of competitive initiative"? And I loved their "This is why you don't give up" while passing the mother/daughter pair on the way to the pit stop. 

I was thinking about a cocaine-related challenge too. That would be cool. Challenge yourself, TAR! Speaking of which, those were the fakest-looking emeralds ever. You can buy inexpensive giant fake emeralds on ebay that look like they actually have been mined and not made out of glass (although the sellers claim they are genuine, of course). Seeing those would have been quasi-educational, at least.

• Love 5

The frisbee dude made me laugh by yelling "It's cleansing" in the mud pit. It just surprised me. They're a bit annoying though, if seemingly competent racers.

"El raceo" was cringeworthy. If that's your best attempt at Spanish, keep quiet. 

Tyler and Korey seem to be a strong and likeable team.

I will not miss the mother and daughter. The brothers have more potential to be interesting, although I'd appreciate less talking about how smart they are and more showing how smart they are. They certainly didn't make much of a case for themselves tonight.

I wonder why TAR hasn't gone to Columbia before.

In addition to Colombia's central role in the drug trade for many decades, the country's government has also been fighting an insurgency group called FARC since the 1960s. FARC's tactics have ranged from terrorism to outright war with Colombian troops in the countryside, and I suspect that until they reached something of a peace deal with the government that seems to be somewhat sticking through 2014-15, Production just couldn't get insurance to cover a leg there, not did they want to be a target for the insurgents.

• Love 16

Cartegena, mud slide, gemstones. Would make a great movie.

Yes!  As I yelled at the screen many times during this episode, clearly none of these people has ever seen Romancing the Stone or they'd know how the hell to pronounce Cartagena.

I have no idea what went on in the airport. I cannot figure out how the not-Harvard brothers were 3rd at the airport but last to get a flight. It seems like a lot of these teams have spent more time in their basements than doing any kind of traveling.

Excess shrieking aside, I don't hate anyone. After last season being ruined by the presence of Justin, that's saying something positive right there.

• Love 11

The only reason I enjoyed the fish in the crotch story is her partner basically telling her to stop speaking to the camera and focus on the task.  Race! 

The Not!Harvard! brothers showed the other issue for “famous” teams – stopping for a selfie with a fan rather than hustling to get a flight.  You can disappoint your fans.  They’ll understand when they see you on TAR. 

Dr. Dad is doomed racing with his daughter.  She is a very special snowflake.  She shrieked constantly, didn’t bring a swimsuit and was wearing false eyelashes.   Her little performance when picking the fish off the sand at the speedbump was OTT.  The greatest blessing in his life was when she moved out at an early age.  He got to skip some years under the same roof.  Is he doing penance for a crime he committed by running the race with her?

Edited by Muffyn
  • Love 9

Blair needs to stop talking, her voice could shatter glass. And my nerves.

Darius & Cameron are only still in the race because of luck. Any time a team brags about how smart they are, they’re almost guaranteed to lose, they think knowledge from books means they can race well.

There doesn't seem to be any point to all these people being "social media stars", I thought it would somehow figure into the race, but it hasn't so far. Unless it's getting the show better ratings because they're posting about it now.

• Love 5

Way too much screaming and shrieking.

What kind of dodo brings a hair dryer and curling iron on TAR yet doesn't bring a swimsuit?

Wow, she is kind of the worst.  Not only did she bring a hair dryer/curling iron (and not even the really small compact travel sized ones) but she was having her father carry that stuff for her.  If I had to bring those things, I would have been carrying them myself, not having my father, who is 30 years older than me, carry it for me.

• Love 7

Dana and Matt's relationship is dooooomed. And Dana needs to shut. up.

I hope Dana doesn't end up becoming the Hayley of the race.  Ugh.

I am kind of starting to like them and do believe they are smart. Would an average person use the phrase "our lack of competitive initiative"? And I loved their "This is why you don't give up" while passing the mother/daughter pair on the way to the pit stop. 

I really like the brothers.  I hope they kick it up a notch....and I think they will.  I still can't do a Rubix cube, so good on them!  I just think that last time they had been able to pull themselves up so many rungs that they assumed each leg of the race would allow that opportunity.  But it really doesn't.  There wasn't a place where you could make up the near hour that they were behind most of the other teams.

• Love 3

So I'm not the only one who's finding all the screeching and carrying on TOO MUCH!  Some of the women in particular have voices that could shatter glass even when they're NOT shrieking.   I may not be able to stick it out this season.  I can barely focus on the tasks for all CONSTANT screaming and Drama Queen antics.  And I just can't with Blair.  Fortunately, I'm sure she will be gone soon.  Show, please bring back teams of normal people.

Edited by Kitla
  • Love 10

If we are already seeing these kinds of stupid mistakes on the second leg, can you imagine what will happen by the ninth or tenth leg?

Fine, Blair accidentally unpacked her bathing suit when she got rid of her curling iron and blow dryer. Why didn't she just wear a sports bra and underwear? Whoever loaned her an outfit was nicer than necessary. The shrieking and flailing (and complete lack of picking up a single fish) was also super annoying.

The notHarvard brothers weren't lacking in competitive initiative. They were just strolling through the airport like they were at the park which is just blatant stupidity. It's not competitive drive that tells you to GO TO A COUNTER TO BUY TICKETS. That's just common sense. Did they think someone was going to walk up to them and offer them tickets? I mean, seriously.

The flight attendant mom said that being a flight attendant would give her an advantage while booking their flight (which made very little sense to me because working on the plane as a flight attendant for a domestic carrier has nothing to do with booking international flights) and then she let her daughter do all the talking at the ticket counter. The only advantage I could have imagined would be if she told the person at the ticket counter that she was a flight attendant so they would be nicer, but even that isn't going to open up a seat that doesn't exist if the flight is full. But I will say that she was very supportive of her daughter when she couldn't find the fake emerald. As much as her daughter cried about being eliminated, she was definitely not cut out to raaaaaaaaaace. Last week she was ready to take a four hour penalty and this week she was whining about how she just couldn't do the muddy emerald task. After only two legs, it was obvious that the daughter was a whiner who gives up easily.

"Mas rapido" means faster.  Quit saying faster, say "rapido".  Dammit.

On a related note, I hate when teams beg the judges as they're checking their work, but this week more than one team busted out, "Por favor, please!" Even more offensive was "el race-o." Seriously, if you don't know the language, just shut it instead of trying to make English words into another language.

• Love 7

I agree that bringing both a hairdryer AND a curling iron is ridiculous, but why was Phil so incredulous that she brought a hairdryer on the race? I've watched the show for years, and a lot of racers, esp. the women, often look camera-ready - both hair and makeup-wise. Surely Blair's not the first to pack a hairdryer!

I would think a hairdryer would be tricky to navigate on a race around the world, given the need for power adapters and/or converters that change from country to country.  Hair dryers and curling irons take a lot of power and voltage may be a factor as well. 

Edited by mnfe
  • Love 7

I am so curious what will happen in a uturn situation. These people are all so supportive of each other. I loved when the others were shouting to Blair who was covered in mud that she should do a video but how it was beneficial for the skin. It's been two legs and only one pair, the choreographers, has had a negative to words with a teammate and they have all been super supportive of one another. Even the NotHarvard brothers were sympathetic about the only reason they were still in the race is because the mother/daughter team stupidly left their taxi behind.

Yes there is too much shrieking, but good comrade, shuffling during tasks and fun challenges make this a race I am happy to watch regardless of how it was cast.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 7