Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E14: Showcase #4: Judges Vote

• Start Topic

The only reason I watched last night was to see Chris Daughtry and Constantine.  They're two of my favorite Idols.  I loved Chris jumping up and down when Lee's name was called.

(Psst--that was when Dalton's name was called. It was pretty adorable!)

Edited by rereader2
  • Love 1

But Cook never lived up to that potential after the show.  Part of it, he was never able to shake off the Idol stigma.  He's now doing crowd funding.   After Kelly and Carrie, Daughtry is the one of the most successful alums to come off the show.

This is absolutely true, but I would pay money to see David Cook and would not spend money on Daughtry.  But then, I also have spent money to see obscure Australian bands play bars in Philly and would consider it waste of money to go see someone like Beyonce.  Musical taste is subjective and does not always correlate to any particular musician's success.

Edited to note that my original comment was in reply to someone questioning that anyone would pay money to see/hear David Cook.  There are those of us who would.  Obviously not as large a number as those who would/have paid money to see/hear Chris Daughtry, but we do exist.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 8

NOT looking forward to some of these returnees vs. the last bunch. Constantstink? Pickle? Cookie? Jordin Sparks (where's her career at?) Ugh.

Daughtry might be the only one I look forward to seeing.

This is so funny cuz my older friend that I watch AI with kept asking me about the alums--do they have a cd, a show, a song, a movie, who is that, etc. It was hard to answer although I keep up on E news. Truly a good point that so many alums are not on the active performing radar or mainstream tv/radio. They do pop up from time to time here and there. Is that success? I guess, as long as they are performing somewhere...and getting paid.

On another topic....

Why was Constantstink using The Royal We when talking about how it was to work with Jenn? He did it like three times.

Not to mention that Keith had the gall to say (to her) "you are getting so consistent with your performances". His exact words. Like the song she sang where she sounded like a bag of cats being hit with a stick never happened.

Yes, I noted the "consistent" word, too. Consistently off-key is what I was thinking. I liked Jenn, but she needs to pronounce words and not sacrifice them to her voice noise.

• Love 2

Interesting. I'm okay with most of the people who advanced, but I really wish Jenn and Olivia hadn't. Both of them just scream "contrived" to me, and I cannot stand how Olivia pronounces words when she sings.  I can't put my finger on what it is exactly that she does, but it just sounds weird.

As for the returning idols, I actually enjoyed seeing David Cook, as I really liked him on his season. I thought Jordin was a great mentor, who actually gave her duet partners concrete advice that made their performances better. I also enjoyed seeing Chris Daughtry again, and loved his celebration when Dalton got through. The other three returnees were neither here nor there for me.

Also, thanks to BogoGog24 for reminding me of who Kory was, after I didn't remember his existence on Wednesday's show. As it turns out, his existence is a moot point, given what happened last night. Boy, did he look pissed when his name wasn't called!

On the whole, there are a few people in this group of 14 for me to root for, but I'm not too excited about this season as of yet.

• Love 1

Is Pickles pregnant? Not that it is my business.

Constantine just drips smarm to me.

I didn't know that Haley was on the Scotty season. Am I confusing her with another Haley from another year? I know there was a Haley who got severely bussed, but IIRC Simon was a judge on the season of the Haley that I'm thinking of and it was  season/s before Scotty's win. Anyone?

No one but Elton should sing that Jets song. It just blows when anyone else does it, for me (for you.)

Lee was kind of adorable.

• Love 2

This is so funny cuz my older friend that I watch AI with kept asking me about the alums--do they have a cd, a show, a song, a movie, who is that, etc. It was hard to answer although I keep up on E news. Truly a good point that so many alums are not on the active performing radar or mainstream tv/radio. They do pop up from time to time here and there. Is that success? I guess, as long as they are performing somewhere...and getting paid.

One of them sells Dr. Pepper.

n-JUSTIN-GUARINI-628x314.jpg

• Love 1

The people going through are so random. The judges didn't even need to justify the reason. It's ridiculous. And I felt sad for Kory and Adam, who were really good singers (better than Lee, Tristan, and Olivia for sure). At the end when they were about to call the last person, I got a kick out of Kory's resigned bitch face. Boy knew what was coming.

The people going through are the producer picks based on the chosen story line for the season - the young kids getting their shot at being American Idol before the curtain comes down. Although if by "random" you mean the picks have nothing to do with the actual performances, than I totally agree. They're not even risking one of the chosen ones not getting through by letting the audience vote. That feels to me kind of like a big "eff you" to the devoted audience that made this show a success. Not a great ending.

I'm sure that Kory and Adam knew all along they were not making Top 14, no matter how well they sang or how badly Tristan or one of the other chosen kiddies sang. They're probably just glad to have gotten whatever exposure the show provided that could boost their careers.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 2

Forgot to add that Manny is such a shallow singer, he can't even sing A LINE convincingly without his go-to cheesy grin. Jordan was so good with him but the actual performance wasn't much better. I still see no real emotion. And this song exposed the weaknesses in his voice.

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 6

To Pickle's credit, I DO think that while I still don't particularly connect with her as a performer (let's just say despite the Dolly comparison I saw upthread... as a performer she's no Dolly), I do like the grown up version of her a lot more otherwise. I always found the endless rounds of "I ain't never seen a xxxxx before" tiresome, and with hundreds of thousands of touring miles under her belt, not only isn't she able to do that anymore, she doesn't even seem like the kind of person who'd want to. I don't know if she was a particularly great mentor, but she didn't embarrass herself either. She certainly wasn't any worse than Constantstink, and really whatever people do or don't think of Cookie as a performer, his "coaching" was just kind of "jamming".  I actually didn't think Haley was that bad at the coaching side of things--she did seem to give some ok advice to one of her hamsters, although with the other all we really saw manifest was that nonsense about adding more Bennys (not that she was necessarily wrong about that, but how she expressed it was a bit incoherent). I'm another who liked Haley in her season, at least as a performer, so even though I haven't commented on her in this thread yet, I wasn't upset at seeing her (not that I thought she was any great get for a return appearance vs. the likes of Ruben or Fantasia or Daughtry).

Not that Cook is even near the worst this show has ever served up, but man I have trouble conceiving of people actually paying to see or hear him.

I've seen him four times, and the man knows how to put on a show.  

That said, his second album was terrible and that probably doomed him.  His new one is pretty good, though.  

• Love 3

I don't like Olivia and IDK why. Also, her dresses are too short imo and hiking up in the back. It makes me nervous.

If I never see Sprinkles twerk and or rap again, it will be too soon. Just NO.

Jordan is strikingly lovely.

Are Cook and Daughtry going grey? Not that it matters, but I still think of them as young.  Good on them for going natural. Not sure females could get away with that without some backlash. (not here, elsewhere)

Im still going blank on Haley and Im sure I have her confused in my head with another Haley who took a lot of grief and bussing. Anyone? It's making me cray. ... er. :-)

I appreciated Pickles' enthusiasm and she sounded good imo, so there's that..

Im still going blank on Haley and Im sure I have her confused in my head with another Haley who took a lot of grief and bussing. Anyone? It's making me cray. ... er. :-)

The other Hailey wore dressy hot pants a lot and took a lot of hassle about her advancing on the shortness of her skirts.

• Love 1

Well, dammit. I don't like Shelbie Zed and I dont' like Constantine, but I did like the Queen song/performance. That song would have been too big for many folks.  I like her voice, I just don't like her. I find her off-putting for some reason and I hate the squats..

The other Hailey wore dressy hot pants a lot and took a lot of hassle about her advancing on the shortness of her skirts.

Yes, that's who Im thinking of. I get them confused. :-)

When they say, "continue ON" it makes me batty.

Didn't watch closely, but something about having duets with prior contestants at any stage of the judging process makes me uncomfortable. Mainly that the now pros are "judged" by the judges afterwards, and then by viewers. It's like when competing. It diminishes them. They're pros now, save duets for the finale show, and give the new ones a chance to make moments of their own at this early stage.

I always found the endless rounds of "I ain't never seen a xxxxx before" tiresome

Get ready for another round of that with Calamity Jane. "Gee Willikers! They gots machines that do laundry here. Can you imagine? I'm used to washing my scarves in the river and drying them on a rock. What will they think of next?" I loved it when she trying to get Scotty to agree about how LA was so weird with all them there electric lights. Scotty grew up with electricity.

I would rate the mentors from best to least:

1) Jordan - gave concrete improvement advice to both her duet partners and tried to match them. I don't blame her for Manny because she was a mentor, not a magician. She did make him better. Her duet with Trent was the most duet-like in both weeks. They just clicked and fed off of each other.

2) Daughtry - tried to tone down his performances to match his partners and managed to get Dalton to do something that worked with the song instead of just turning everything emo. He amped up Lee a bit which is an improvement.

3) Haley - she provided performance tips and tried to get her two stiffs to lighten up. They were incapable of doing so with just a few hours of coaching and she blew them both out of the water.

4) Kellie - didn't have much advice for her duet partners, but she injected a lot of fun which was helpful for Amelia. Good fit with her partners when performing.

5) Cook - he was nice, but didn't seem to impact his mentees very much and they didn't improve very much. At least he gave them a boost of confidence before he sang circles around them.

6) Constantine - gave no advice and made little effort to modify his performance to match his partner. Sniffed Jenn's hair which skeeved me out.

• Love 2

He's also been doing Broadway since 2010.

Yes!  I actually saw him in Joseph And The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (touring) a few years ago.  He was very good.  But it blew my mind to find out he was Lil Sweet.  lol  Probably pays better than anything else these guys are doing.

• Love 1

Yes! I actually saw him in Joseph And The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (touring) a few years ago. He was very good. But it blew my mind to find out he was Lil Sweet. lol Probably pays better than anything else these guys are doing.

AI needs to do more PR for their alum. You would think with all the pimping of Scott B....the skeevy music producer, they wd show more alum. That wd be a great show, I think, an AI alum musical hour. Thoughts?

• Love 1

I almost choked on Jennifer's praise of Haley as others have mentioned. I was so angry she wasn't in the final 2 I didn't watch because I found Scotty and especially Lauren A two of the most boring , disconnected contestants ever!

Haley was one of the few contestants who understood the lyrics and performed!!! I think her " I Who Have Nothing" was her show stopping performance. I felt sorry for her when both of her Mentees failed to move on.

• Love 2

AI needs to do more PR for their alum. You would think with all the pimping of Scott B....the skeevy music producer, they wd show more alum. That wd be a great show, I think, an AI alum musical hour. Thoughts?

I believe they are going to have some kind of sing-down-memory-lane special the night before the finale.  They've already had on a ton of people between the duets shows and the guests during auditions and we're not even into the live shows yet.  Kelly is on next week.  I feel like I should make up a bingo card for the remaining names:  Carrie Underwood, Phillip Phillips, Candice Glover, Jennifer Hudson, Katharine McPhee and Justin Guarini.  We already saw Adam Lambert and Taylor Hicks, right?  Who else is there?

I'm hoping for my favourite David Archuleta to show up. What about Clay, Bo, Brooke White, Jason Castro Kris, Blake and Melinda?

That My Sweet Valentine duet was a shouty mess. I do think the duets are as much and if not more about the returning 'stars' then the contestants. The judges have already made up their mind the night before. 

• Love 1

The more successful alums, who can pull in the viewers, would never want to do something like this.  There is no reason for them to.

Unfortunately, the alums who would want to do this, do not have the bandwidth to draw in the viewers.

• Love 1

I almost choked on Jennifer's praise of Haley as others have mentioned. I was so angry she wasn't in the final 2 I didn't watch because I found Scotty and especially Lauren A two of the most boring , disconnected contestants ever!

Haley was one of the few contestants who understood the lyrics and performed!!! I think her " I Who Have Nothing" was her show stopping performance. I felt sorry for her when both of her Mentees failed to move on.

Huh. It just occurred to me that she's the only alum (from both weeks!) who had both her mentees get cut. Everyone else had at least one of their contestants "continue on". Both Daughtry and Jordin had both of theirs move on, the others all had one (if I tallied correctly). It seems kind of crappy of the producers to saddle her with the forgettable Kory and Adam, who they knew they had no intention of putting through.

Oh well, it was great to see her again anyway. I'm sure she's over it, lol.

• Love 4

Olivia is very fake. It's like she doesn't even know how to be herself or something. I find it sad. Also, her voice sounds so awful to me. It's super forced imo. 

I am so glad they didn't put Shelbie through. I couldn't deal with having to hear her one more time.

• Love 1

I feel like I should make up a bingo card for the remaining names:  Carrie Underwood, Phillip Phillips, Candice Glover, Jennifer Hudson, Katharine McPhee and Justin Guarini. 

Which, btw, I gotta ask:  am I the only one who thinks Tristan both looks and sings a bit like McPhee?

Daughtry's happy dance over Dalton's advancing was very cute. Overall, he seemed sincerely into this experience and I think more highly of him now.  

I put my finger on who Olivia Rox reminds me of, physically: Shannon, the bitchy pretty girl on the early seasons of Lost.

• Love 2

I thought Jenn and Constantine sounded like shrieking pelicans, horrible.  She won't last long.  How tall is Olivia, wow!  I don't mind her singing.  I do like Tristan and have to keep remembering how young she is.  Haley is AMAZING, love love love her yet did not root for her when she was on for some reason.  I have watched her many videos on You Tube and that girl is all about the music, it comes out of every pore!  JLO was likely a bit jealous and I think she often is much more critical of women who have it all, sing, looks, moves and isn't a voice for them like she is to the guys like Dalton.  We know she likes them young!

Again the songs were either ones performed prior by the alumnae or plugging their current single.  Idol is all about how wonderful they are not the current contestants.   

• Love 1

Not that Cook is even near the worst this show has ever served up, but man I have trouble conceiving of people actually paying to see or hear him.

Plenty do, his concerts are amazing, and I love all his albums.  He's still successfully touring too.

• Love 3

I find it funny that overall the duets last night were better than the solos this week, while last week the solos were better but the duets were horrible. Maybe this week's contestants spent more time on their duets than solos?

Amelia and Kellie - I enjoyed this immensely. I think the song was fun and they both did well. Amelia slayed that violin solo, too bad her violin skills are better than her singing. I think she just sounds sooo young when she sings, but she is a great violinist no doubt. Maybe she could do something with that. Overall I loved this, one of my favorite duets of the night. Kellie was so cute with Amelia too and I think she really helped calm Amelia's nerves.

Kory and Haley - I was worried that Haley was going to totally wipe the floor with Kory but Kory surprisingly held his own here. Bennie and the Jets was one of my favorite performances ever on Idol. I think this was overall a solid duet. 

Lee and Chris - This was dismal. The pairing was cute in a big brother/little brother way, but Chris completely dominated Lee in this performance. It's not Lee's fault, he can't help being so young and inexperienced, but that's how he came off next to Chris for obvious reasons. And on Chris's own song too, such an iconic one at that. Lee did what he could with the hand he was dealt I guess, but I didn't think this pairing worked. Just too huge of a difference in maturity and experience between the 2. Chris sounded fantastic though, it reminded me of how great "Home" really is. Maybe Lee did poorly on this because it wasn't an Ed Sheeran song? Heh.

CJ and David - This was meh for me. I tuned out halfway in, the song was just boring. I was never much of a David Cook fan either, also not a fan of CJ, so it was just 2 bland WGWGs performing a bland WGWG song for me.

Manny and Jordin - This was just ok. I don't really get Manny. Talented singer but he comes off inauthentic to me (he seems quite nice on his Periscopes though). And I was distracted by how much taller Jordin was, it made the whole thing awkward. 

Jenn and Constantine - I guess I'm in the minority because I really liked this and thought it was one of the best of the night. I don't hold the song sacred so I didn't care that they rearranged it or whatever Harry said he didn't like about it. I thought they sounded great together and it was much better than Jenn's solo.

Tristan and Kellie - This was a train wreck. Tristan was awkward onstage and was off key most of the time. She strains when she reaches for high notes and always sounds kind of shrill when she does it. I love this song but it wasn't a good choice for a duet. Even Kellie sounded a bit shrill while singing it. Tristan keeps showing her weaknesses more and more with every performance now. She is on the Majesty Rose trajectory. 

Olivia and David - Out of the 2 David duets, this one was far better. I thought they sounded pretty great together. Olivia is a gifted vocalist, but I hate that clenching thing she does with her pronunciation. 

Adam and Haley - Well Haley did phenomenal on this. Adam, not so much. He got lost in the background on this. And he was hella awkward too, he seemed way too intimidated by her and like Keith said, stiff. This could have easily been the best of the night if Adam had measured up to Haley. I still think it was the best of the night but mostly because of what Haley contributed. She looked fabulous in that red dress too.

Dalton and Chris - One of my fave duets of the night. Dalton is my favorite this year and I always liked Daughtry a lot, one of my faves from his season as well. This was a great pairing that actually made sense. It was cute when Dalton said Daughtry's CD was the first one he ever owned. I wouldn't have picked this song, would have rather seen Dalton get "Home" over Lee, this didn't really do anything for either of them vocal-wise, but performance-wise, this was great and very entertaining. Dalton was one of the few who really held his own next to his Idol and evenly matched him. His moves onstage were very boyband though lol. Still, he did a great job and managed not to get overshadowed by his partner. Chris's reaction when Dalton got through was priceless. I think Chris really likes Dalton. 

Trent and Jordin - Much better than the Manny duet. I think Trent is one of the best vocalists on this season, possibly the best of the men especially, and I think he did a stellar job on this. He needs to control the weird faces he makes when he sings though. It's so off putting.

Shelbie and Constantine - In the minority again I guess because I liked this a lot. I thought it was pretty epic. It wasn't perfect, I mean this song is not meant to be squeezed into 90 seconds, so yeah the transitions between the different sections of the song were awkward. But overall I thought Shelbie sounded great. I was shocked the judges hated this.

I laughed out loud when Jennifer tried to rewrite history saying that they knew Haley was going to win season 10. LOL So is that why they bussed her so hard that year?

Of course JLo had to get her obligatory "You're so cute" comment in to Dalton. Yes he's cute and pretty and gorgeous and it's very tempting to gush all over him about it (I should know, being a big fan of his), but I hope she doesn't do this every time he performs. I'm concerned constantly mentioning his looks will cause viewer backlash or people will start saying he is only there/getting far because of his looks. JLo, you are old enough to be this boy's mother. Stop. Go back to your 12 year old boyfriend.

I think the results were mostly on point.

Amelia did well enough in her duet to warrant advancing but her solo was so abysmal that I'm not really sad about it plus she just sounds too young and inexperienced right now (not that some of the others they put through don't have the same issue). 

I probably would not have advanced Lee but I guess they need somebody with growth arc potential. IMO he's too young and immature right now.

Kory and CJ were both nondescript, forgettable bland WGWGs with zero personality so I didn't care they got axed.

I don't like Manny but the dude can sing and I guess they need some racially diverse contestants this year? I predict he'll be one of the first cut anyway.

Based on her solo Jenn should have gone home. She redeemed herself with the duet but I still don't know about her. I really liked her up until now but lately she has been singing very off key, so I don't know if she's going to start falling apart now or what.

I wouldn't have put Tristan through but she has been TCO since the start so we all knew it was coming. But I think she'll be the shocker exit of the season, leaving before top 5 most likely. 

Olivia is also clearly one of TCOs this year but she is a much better singer than Tristan so I'm ok with it. I don't think she'll win (how embarrassing would it be to have the last winner of this franchise be named Olivia Rox? Ugh.), maybe she won't even make the top 5 but I think she'll stick around awhile.

I liked Adam from last season and liked him this year as well, but his solo was just alright and he barely sang anything in the duet. I like Adam and think he could have made things interesting this year but the cut is not undeserved I guess.

Of course I'm happy about Dalton making it. By far the most interesting contestant they have this year. I'm so excited to see what he will sing next. 

Trent deservedly made it through. I'd say the most technically gifted male singer this year.

Shelbie outsang and outperformed a lot of those who made it but she also was mainly just a really good karaoke singer with an irritating personality so not sad to see her go. Based on vocals alone, yes, but if we're looking at the whole package, she never did anything for me to be upset about her getting cut.

• Love 2

I like Trent's voice but I can't get it out of my head that I'm looking at Gary Busey's son.  I also can't stop thinking that Jenn is related to Drew Barrymore.  And Kory looks like Ralphie from A Christmas Story all growed up.  I'm still trying to figure out who Olivia reminds me of--I almost get it, it's on the tip of my brain, but I can't seem to bring it forth. 

Most of the adult males seemed to have too-close-set eyes--  Trent, Kory, Jordan.

I don't think Trent is scarred by mono. I think he's just a sweaty-faced guy who makes unattractive singing faces. Kory, too.

JBlo reminded me of Meg Ryan a bit in some shots.  Amelia reminded me some of Heather Morris in ways.  Olivia is very Hannah Montana to me, like someone else said.  Not that she looks like her exactly, she just feels phony. 

I love Haley but she should ask Jordin for makeup advice.

Jennifer looked tired and old and critical of the younger, prettier, slimmer, better singing women on stage.

I'm glad that venue is done because I'm tired of the rented sorority girls behind the judges.

I wish Adam had stayed over Manny.  

Chris got himself invested in the two boys clearly. His jumping around was funny to watch.

He was adorable.  I thought to myself "Oh yeah, he's got kids, right?  That's such a goofy-dad thing to do."  I almost wondered if he'd bet the other mentors.  Was he the only person who had both charges go through?

• Love 1

Was [Daughtry] the only person who had both charges go through?

Both of Jordin's went through as well (Manny and Trent).  The week before, both of Nick's went through (Thomas and Gianni). 

• Love 1

But Cook never lived up to that potential after the show.  Part of it, he was never able to shake off the Idol stigma.  He's now doing crowd funding.   After Kelly and Carrie, Daughtry is the one of the most successful alums to come off the show.

Oh lord, Cook is not doing crowd funding. He produced his record himself and used PledgeMusic for distribution. Big difference. But I agree that it's been hard to shake that stigma. Still, he seems pretty content making an enviable living doing what he loves, which I bet he thinks is a fair trade. 

• Love 3

Amelia and Kellie – Not a fan of country music in general, but this was fine.

Kory and Haley - I hated when Haley performed Bennie and the Jets on her run, and hated this as well. Not helping was that Haley hogged the lyrics, leaving little room for Kory to impress.

Lee and Chris – It was adequate without being anything special. Lee has an okay voice, but not distinctive. If I heard him on the radio, I would have no idea if it was him or any other blandly good singer.

CJ and David - This paled in comparison to Cook’s original performance of it, which is one of my favorites. This song requires you to be completely invested in the lyrics to pull it off, and CJ wasn’t. OTOH, first performance of the night where the contestant was allowed to be the lead singer instead of functioning more or less as a backup singer.

Manny and Jordin – Something about Manny just bugs, and while Jordin was okay, nothing about this song appealed to me.

Jenn and Constantine – This sounded wretched to me and again, paled in comparison to Constantine’s original performance of it. I was shocked that the judges didn’t rip it apart.

Tristan and Kellie – Completely meh. By the end of the show, I could barely remember the performance.

Olivia and David - I wasn’t sure Olivia could pull this off, but she did surprising well. They both sounded good and neither overshadowed the other, so it was a good balance. 

Adam and Haley – Still not a fan of Haley. She essentially took over the song, and Adam just faded into the background. Her dress was gorgeous, but designed to draw attention to her rather than the contestant whose performance was being judged.

Dalton and Chris – This is one of the few Stevie Wonder songs I really don’t care for. Dalton did fine on it, as did Chris. Dalton looks way more comfortable on stage than most of the contestants, but I don’t find his voice particularly appealing. I don’t hate his voice, so I’d be willing to listen to him sing something else just to see if my bias on the song choice was affecting my judgment of his voice.

Trent and Jordin – Good job on the duet, although the song itself does nothing for me. Trent has a decent voice but needs to improve his performance skills.

Shelbie and Constantine – Bad song choice. Some songs work okay when they are cut down to 90 seconds or whatever, and some just don’t. The performance just did not build in a cohesive way and felt disjointed.