Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E14: Showcase #4: Judges Vote

• Start Topic

Maybe its just me but I didn't think JLo looked tired old etc or jealous of the slimmer girls on stage- remarks that are mentioned here. She has enough money in any case to get over all the bashing so I suppose she doesnt lose sleep over people talking about her looks or body. She has done quite well.

This should be an interesting week coming up. I hope this group provides some entertainment.

• Love 1

CJ and David - This paled in comparison to Cook’s original performance of it, which is one of my favorites. This song requires you to be completely invested in the lyrics to pull it off, and CJ wasn’t. OTOH, first performance of the night where the contestant was allowed to be the lead singer instead of functioning more or less as a backup singer.

That's one thing I liked about David's mentoring,  the arrangements favored the contestants. Especially CJ, he had him do the first line of the song, and the last note and did the harmony at the end.  Something that Harry said when Lee/Chris did Home is that he did a good job in following  Chris Daughtry after the first line, that it is difficult to do. Even though I would rather hear more of David, I love when he does both songs, I understand the point of this was to showcase the contestants, and he understood that too.  

The other thing is, the songs that David did would unlikely to be a duet.   I think they did a good job arranging them so they could be a duet and fit both contestants. 

• Love 4

That's one thing I liked about David's mentoring, the arrangements favored the contestants. Especially CJ, he had him do the first line of the song, and the last note and did the harmony at the end. Something that Harry said when Lee/Chris did Home is that he did a good job in following Chris Daughtry after the first line, that it is difficult to do. Even though I would rather hear more of David, I love when he does both songs, I understand the point of this was to showcase the contestants, and he understood that too.

The other thing is, the songs that David did would unlikely to be a duet. I think they did a good job arranging them so they could be a duet and fit both contestants.

Hm. I adore David Cook. And his voice is as awesome as I remember it. But his duets with his contestants are my least favorite of them all. He was a very generous partner but I felt the arrangements were lacking and it felf like 2 people were singing songs in their own ways instead of a duet. Just doesn't have the right mix as say Jordin/Trent or Amelia/Kellie.
  • Love 1

It was nice to have HCJ v1.0 back of only for a fleeting moment.  Jenn completely deserved the "shouting" critique he gave her.   I also loved that he called out Connie for being dead wrong about needing to put "energy" into that song.

I'll always love Kellie.  She was, as expected and per usual, the most giving to her partners.   Unfortunately, her encouragement of Tristan to waltz all over the stage proved to be a bridge too far.  She got creamed, reasonably so, by the jidges for bad staging.  

Sound mix shenanigans again.  Poor Dalton and Daughtry! were obliterated by the band.  It may have been better in the hall, but it was brutal her in TV land.

Shelbie was soooo pissed that Connie was bigger than she was as they performed.  Her whole thing is to be the big voice, and she was owned on stage.  

Trent won the night as far as I am concerned.  Beautiful job on an iconic song.  Good on Jordin, as well.

None of the evictees this week have any complaint.  All of them had at least one rough performance in this round.  And I got my one must:  Buh bye, Shelbie.

Hm. I adore David Cook. And his voice is as awesome as I remember it. But his duets with his contestants are my least favorite of them all. He was a very generous partner but I felt the arrangements were lacking and it felf like 2 people were singing songs in their own ways instead of a duet. Just doesn't have the right mix as say Jordin/Trent or Amelia/Kellie.

I think that's because the songs themselves would not normally be a duet.  I agree that Jordin/ Trent and Kellie and Amelia's duets were better, but I think those songs were easier to make another vocal part for because they already have harmonies and themes that work well as duets.

I think that's because the songs themselves would not normally be a duet. I agree that Jordin/ Trent and Kellie and Amelia's duets were better, but I think those songs were easier to make another vocal part for because they already have harmonies and themes that work well as duets.

That's true. I don't understand why they chose The World I Know as a duet. That song is about self-introspection to me and how can you do it honestly as a duet? Same with Light On. Whereas for love songs or storytelling songs it's easier to duet believably.
  • Love 2

That's true. I don't understand why they chose The World I Know as a duet. That song is about self-introspection to me and how can you do it honestly as a duet? Same with Light On. Whereas for love songs or storytelling songs it's easier to duet believably.

Right. Actually, when I heard they were doing duets, I thought maybe they would do David's version Always Be My Baby, he has actually done it in concert as a duet and it was terrific.  Or Elinor Rigby, which would be a storytelling song that already had harmonies. And I think if they were going to do one of David's hits, Come Back to Me would have worked better as a duet, it already has a strong second vocal part.  

• Love 1

I don't know much about arranging duets but I was disappointed in those two songs.  I would've loved them to do Always Be My Baby, Billie Jean, Hello or even his coronation song.  

David was always my favorite idol and also the first season I watched but coming out of that show the other night, it's Daughtry's new album I find myself wanting to buy.  His voice is so good, his hits are so good and my stations just don't play him anymore.  

I assume production assigns the songs.  Though one of the alums did thank the contestant for (supposedly) picking a song. 

Every time I read a comment about the "faces" people have when singing I'm reminded of Joe Cocker and the things he would do on stage.  I'm sure he's not the only one, but I'm from a generation who used to listen to music vs being able to see the people performing it so can't verify how many others had "funny/peculiar faces" while performing. 

I don't remember who it was or what the song was, but have to say it's very odd and off putting to listen to some of the younger contestants singing songs with very mature lyrics/experiences.   I don't believe you can't sing what you haven't experienced, but to me it's like dressing up a little girl in make-up etc and it squeeks me out.  I know it's been said before, but JLo's reaction to Dalton is also starting to bother me.  If the role was reversed and it was HCJ or Keith doing this to a young girl, you know there would be a huge backlash.  I do think Dalton is handling it well - "grew them myself" (paraphrasing), but at some stage it must be uncomfortable for him.  It's one thing to think the things she's saying, but it's a different kettle of fish when she's saying them on national television.  Just my two cents.  I'm sure he gets plenty of reaction for his looks, but that doesn't mean it's okay to do it.

I don't understand why they couldn't have had everyone sing "real duets" vs songs that were never meant to be duets.  Call it two people harmonizing/singing together vs duet as that's what I thought many of these performances were.

• Love 2

Maybe its just me but I didn't think JLo looked tired old etc or jealous of the slimmer girls on stage- remarks that are mentioned here. She has enough money in any case to get over all the bashing so I suppose she doesnt lose sleep over people talking about her looks or body. She has done quite well.

This should be an interesting week coming up. I hope this group provides some entertainment.

THIS times 100.

I also don't notice (in the media, etc) that the male judges are accused of same.

Constantine  does look the same as before i.e. young, so good for him. Time indeed marches on.  

That Rox chick bugs me. And I did wonder if she was flashing the band when she leaned forward in that half dress.

I like Pickles, but what was going on with her enunciation?... especially the "B"s. "Suds in the BBBBBUCk-et".... and "BBBBBB"Est days.... just me? alrighty then. [/nitpick]

I think Jennifer usually looks amazing but the styling on this episode to me made her look bad.  The brown 70s dress looked like it was from her Kohls collection and her eyes were overly made up so they had a sunken look, but with thick spider-leg lashes, and where she usually has a glowy complexion she looked pasty.  

It has nothing to do with her income or her worth as a person or misogyny or her feelings.  She's not reading here.  

If Harry or Keith shows up looking 80%, I'm sure it'll get mentioned here, too.  It doesn't tend to happen because they show up styled virtually the same every day (and fairly minimally), unlike Jennifer who seems to enjoy looking very different every show and going full-max with it every time.

I don't know much about arranging duets but I was disappointed in those two songs.  I would've loved them to do Always Be My Baby, Billie Jean, Hello or even his coronation song.  

I'm trying to picture Billie Jean as a duet. Billie jean is not my lover! Mine neither!

But I think Always Be My Baby would have been fab. And I LOVED when he did The World I know on the show. It was superb and emotional. And I think both Cook and CJ sounded great on it, but I too think it was an odd song choice for a duet.

Edited by dannymoon
  • Love 5

Jennifer Lopez is incredibly stunning. None of these girls are in her league even though they are decades younger. And if you compared young Jennifer to them now, in an age by age comparison, there oils be no contest.

None of these girls can hope to have the life or career of Jennifer who is currently starring in a tv show. I actually wondered if her styling was to make her closer to her character on the show, as a kind of promotion, but maybe not.

• Love 1

Sometimes when you look back at a previous winner, you see that the people at home were ordering comfort food. Nothing wrong with that, but it may not hold up well when the years go by. Good music isn't always about what's safe and easy.  

That My Sweet Valentine duet was a shouty mess. I do think the duets are as much and if not more about the returning 'stars' then the contestants. The judges have already made up their mind the night before. 

I agree - I thought some of the alumns (I'm looking at you Haley) were there to promote a new project; the only ones one gave any decent advice were Jordan Sparks and Chris Daughtry. 

I also think that the judges were going to send certain people (Tristan) through regardless of how sucky they performend (and she was awful in both her performances).  

Other than Dalton (who is interesting) and Olivia (who really has a great voice) and possible Trent (who sings well enough) I feel like the rest of this group is cannon fodder (no much matter how badly the powers-that-be want to make Tristan happen I don't see it).

I'm glad that venue is done because I'm tired of the rented sorority girls behind the judges.

I love watching them watching themselves in the monitor, then you see them remember and they look back at the talking judge with interest, then them move their eyes to watch themselves again, this time keeping their face pointed at the judge so it's "not noticeable."  Quite a hoot to watch.

• Love 1

The only thing I didn't like about Jennifer's look this week was her hair; it looked dry and damaged - it's usually so glossy that I noticed it right away.  Jennifer is a stunning woman; I wish she'd back off heavy the make-up a little - I don't think she needs to go full out glam (with wild colors) all the time - I think she's the most stunning when she wears a neutral eye and a bright lip.

I wondered if anyone had a choice on the duet songs or if they were told "this is what you will sing" by production.

I'm pretty sure that the powers-that-be had a hand in song selection; they harped on "iconic" moments of the alumns moments on idols.  I also think that singing one of the alumns post-idol songs/current release was the only way to get some of them back.

I think Jennifer usually looks amazing but the styling on this episode to me made her look bad.  The brown 70s dress looked like it was from her Kohls collection and her eyes were overly made up so they had a sunken look, but with thick spider-leg lashes, and where she usually has a glowy complexion she looked pasty.

It has nothing to do with her income or her worth as a person or misogyny or her feelings.  She's not reading here.

If Harry or Keith shows up looking 80%, I'm sure it'll get mentioned here, too.  It doesn't tend to happen because they show up styled virtually the same every day (and fairly minimally), unlike Jennifer who seems to enjoy looking very different every show and going full-max with it every time.

My original comment actually included observations that I have read here about Jennifer being jealous of slimmer contestants etc, and the comments about her looks I just included in the group of things I read.   

I don't see her as being jealous of slimmer contestants, she looks amazing and carries it well.  Maybe some weeks she is a hit or a miss in terms of her styling, I will give you that much and I do agree, but overall when I read comments like that I just wonder -  I don't see this. 

• Love 1

I didn't know that Haley was on the Scotty season. Am I confusing her with another Haley from another year? I know there was a Haley who got severely bussed, but IIRC Simon was a judge on the season of the Haley that I'm thinking of and it was  season/s before Scotty's win. Anyone?

Haley R., Scotty and Lauren Alaina were all on Season 10 together.  The judges were Steven Tyler, JLo and Randy Jackson.  It was JLo and Steven's first season on AI.  Haley was 3rd runner-up, Lauren second behind Scotty.  James Durbin and Casey Abrams were also on Season 10.

• Love 1

I was the only one who said Jennifer looked to be sizing up the females, I think.  It's ok, no one has to agree.  When Jordin, Haley, Tristan and other natural beauties were performing Jen had more of an intense, almost worried look about her.  To me.  If it's a guy or a non-threatening woman she seems more "in character", with the chair dancing and lyrics mouthing and chatting to Keith and Harry.  To me, it looks like she goes into a competitive/research mode.  

I think she's lovely (again) but look up pics of her without makeup or hair done.  Her makeup and hair artists are the real stars.  Without her glam squad I don't think she'd compare to the young women, but then again they're half or less her age.  But she does compete with young women for music sales, etc.  And this is just my opinion.  

Cookie Puss! That's what we call David Cook in our household (those folks who know from Carvel Ice Cream will understand the reference). I love him! And yes, I would pay money to see/hear him perform. I've at least spent money on his music. I think he's a terrific singer, and I actually like him as a person. And while that doesn't pay his bills, at least I don't feel grossed out by him, as I do when I see Constapuke! 

What did Tristan sing? I have no recollection of this contestant (I only started watching this season last week - so I barely know anyone's name).

• Love 2

I had dust in my eye during "You don't know what it's like". Loved it.  So I knew the dude was toast. (Was he?)

I giggled when HCL shot down Connie's energy line about Funny Valentine. I also giggled when Keith said that JBlo is consistent.

I had a hard time remembering who made it last week *snort*

Imo Jennifer Lopez is very hot with or without makeup and getting her hair "did."

Edited by ari333

Imo Jennifer Lopez is very hot with or without makeup and getting her hair "did."

I think Jennifer Lopez is a stunning woman, but some looks are better on her than others.  I get what a previous commenter said about the dark eye makeup making her eyes look a bit sunken, and I'm not fond of pale pink lipstick on her either.  She tends to look her best with lighter eyes and a bold lip.  But even at her worst, she's a zillion times more attractive than I could ever hope to be, and I envy the crap out of that.

• Love 1

But even at her worst, she's a zillion times more attractive than I could ever hope to be, and I envy the crap out of that.

Indeed. She truly won the genetic lottery. I love it when she wears her hair loose and flowing, like a big, tawny, caramel-colored mane! Agree that this last look was a bit more unfortunate – the dark eyes and the pale lipstick just didn’t cut it – but again, we should all be so lucky!!

• Love 1

Mary Phillips says she's been her personal artist since 2006.

http://somethingartists.com/artists/mary-phillips/bio/

I wouldn't be surprised if Jennifer helps come up with the looks, though.  She has a distinctive style.  Her Kohls pieces in my local store always look kind of 'hoochie mama'.  

I look on in envy at the young, beautiful women on these shows, too.  Like Jennifer, I often have to stick to a strict diet to keep even a rough semblance of a figure and I miss those days when I looked like Tristan in my jeans, without effort, without swatting Keith's hand for taking too many mango pieces because it's all I get to eat that day.    

I think that the mango was all the mango she got to eat that day. A woman doesn't look that awesome and do the dancing she does, eating only a little mango.(imo)

Jordin has become even more stunning. I enjoy her voice too since she tends not to screech. 

Actually all the alums this week were good imo (as opposed to last week's)

Connie smelling Jen's hair was a little much for me though.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 1

I believe the "other Haley" that was mentioned was probably Haley Scarnato, who finished 8th on Season 6 (thanks, WP), the year Jordin won.

I would say that the best "Bohemian Rhapsody" I've ever seen on the show was the one by the Albanian stripper who pleaded to be sent to Hollywood lest she be deported.  I don't remember if she cleared that hurdle (probably not), but if she did I'm sure she went home in the first cut.

• Love 1

I believe the "other Haley" that was mentioned was probably Haley Scarnato, who finished 8th on Season 6 (thanks, WP), the year Jordin won.

I would say that the best "Bohemian Rhapsody" I've ever seen on the show was the one by the Albanian stripper who pleaded to be sent to Hollywood lest she be deported.  I don't remember if she cleared that hurdle (probably not), but if she did I'm sure she went home in the first cut.

YES! Thank you! It was driving me nuts.

• Love 1

I just started watching this season after Hollywood week was over. Not feeling it for any of them truthfully.

I like Mackenzie, because I always like quirky ones. Dalton is certainly entertaining, but his eyes look a little scary sometimes. I liked Kory's duet with Kellie.

I really enjoyed the alum so far, especially Kellie, Haley and Daughtry!

Haley is a stunner, Daughtry seems as down to earth as ever and Kellie still has that fun personality....though she is a lot heavier than she was on DWTS. Still a sweetheart though!

• Love 1