Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

You know, there is soooo much to poke fun/snark at on Morning Joe.  I don't watch it much anymore (for fear of head exploding or driving to NYC and bitch-slapping Joe, thus getting arrested)..I tune in here for the fun and snark on Her Nibbs Ms. Meeeekkaaaa and the Holy Roller Yeller In Chief.  Can we please please please keep our personal feelings regarding Hillary/Bill/etc off of here?  Please?  It ruins the vibe.  Yes, I said vibe...I am almost 70 and can say what I want.  Until I can't.  I just want to spend my laptop time with a glass of wine and the feeling of superiority over Joe and Company.

• Like 1
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, Nidratime said:

Waddled?

Mika & Joe did complain about Hillary refusing to appear on Morning Joe. Trump was on the show practically every day. I do think that Hillary would have helped herself by appearing on more tv shows.

4 hours ago, Kemper said:

You know, there is soooo much to poke fun/snark at on Morning Joe.  I don't watch it much anymore (for fear of head exploding or driving to NYC and bitch-slapping Joe, thus getting arrested)..I tune in here for the fun and snark on Her Nibbs Ms. Meeeekkaaaa and the Holy Roller Yeller In Chief.  Can we please please please keep our personal feelings regarding Hillary/Bill/etc off of here?  Please?  It ruins the vibe.  Yes, I said vibe...I am almost 70 and can say what I want.  Until I can't.  I just want to spend my laptop time with a glass of wine and the feeling of superiority over Joe and Company.

Mika & Joe should come up with their own brand of wine so that the viewers can drink it while watching the show in the evening.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, may flowers said:

It's so hard with this program. Nothing Trump does is questioned by the hosts. DJT is completely in charge, but Miller wrote the horrible EO, Bannon didn't tell Trump a separate EO was putting him on the NSC, and only Jared can control twittering Trump. But, according to Joe's bellow this morning, Trump is in charge. 

I struggle with characterizing Joe and Mika's support. They are not really apologists, because Trump does nothing wrong. They aren't really cheerleaders because they aren't rooting for the team (their disdain for Miller and Bannon is palpable).  Maybe mouthpieces?  

Mika & Joe have been trying to latch on to a successful Presidential Candidate since I started watching the show. In 2010, they were touting Chris Christie & demanded that he appear at Mika's run around the White House Mall. In August 2011, Mika admitted that she tried to convince him to run for President on the phone on the night before he made his decison. . Joe was trying to get Mark Sanford pre Miss Argentina & Bob McDonnell pre conviction to run for President. They didn't really like Romney in 2012 until October when Romney won the first debate. They were excited about Romney's crowd sizes in Ohio but it wasn't enough for him to win the state. Mika & Joe succeeded being insiders with Trump but nearly blew it with Mika's hysterics in August bashing everyone who came on the show to talk about the election. & Joe ridiculous attacks on Trump in the Washington Post. Trump retaliated against them by threatening to spill the beans on their activities at Mar A Largo. Joe's son fell down the stairs in September & Trump called him to see how he was doing. After that Trump became less hostile toward the couple. It is interesting that they still haven't interviewed him since the election.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Catching up with today's show with a glass of wine. Joe is blasting Donnie over the media attacking Trump. Joe has transcripts of everything he wrote that turned out to be true!. Joe said the media overreached against Trump in 2015. Joe is shouting at the panel over all the Fake News against Trump. Halperin told Donnie that the media has to stop personal attacks against Trump & all White House staffers. Donnie said Bannon has a bigger ego than Trump & is trying to leak info to the press & become a celebrity by being on Time Magazine. Joe says when he was in Congress his chief of staff would be fired if he was on the cover of Time. Why would Joe's COS be on the cover of Time Magazine? Joe wasn't that much of a big Shot in Congress. I love the show when Joe goes ballistic at 6 am . Mika is wearing her Bond villainess black turtleneck!

• Love 1
15 hours ago, may flowers said:

It's so hard with this program. Nothing Trump does is questioned by the hosts. DJT is completely in charge, but Miller wrote the horrible EO, Bannon didn't tell Trump a separate EO was putting him on the NSC, and only Jared can control twittering Trump. But, according to Joe's bellow this morning, Trump is in charge. 

I struggle with characterizing Joe and Mika's support. They are not really apologists, because Trump does nothing wrong. They aren't really cheerleaders because they aren't rooting for the team (their disdain for Miller and Bannon is palpable).  Maybe mouthpieces?  

I am getting whiplash from watching Joe's back and forths on this. Yesterday, it's "absurd" to think Bannon is pulling the strings in the White House - Trump's in charge, always has been, blah blah blah. Today, thought, the hateful Muslim ban is all the fault of Bannon and Miller,

WHICH IS IT, FATSBY?

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, Eliot said:

I am getting whiplash from watching Joe's back and forths on this. Yesterday, it's "absurd" to think Bannon is pulling the strings in the White House - Trump's in charge, always has been, blah blah blah. Today, thought, the hateful Muslim ban is all the fault of Bannon and Miller,

WHICH IS IT, FATSBY?

Joe's gotta be playing some kind of Big Game with Trump, but damned if I can figure out his b.s. 

I passed by to see Mika introducing Jeremy Peters of the NYT, then immediately launching  into reading Scarborough's opinion piece lambasting his orange boyfriend.

Two quick observations: 1.  Wow, Mika can read aloud after all!  All the stuttering and miscues and mispronunciations were gone.  Mika read the excerpt like a pro, punching up the relevant phrases, using punctuation properly, giving the thoughts a gravitas.  Unbelievable.  2.  WTF is Joe REALLY doing?  He's nuts these days. Yeah, and Mika is complaining too,

What are they REALLY mad about?  Really?  Must have gotten slighted in some egocentric way.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2017/02/07/joe-scarborough-trumps-dangerous-lie-about-russia/?utm_term=.1f12883906b2

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Eliot said:

One hour they were exclaiming how stupid it was to shut down Warren in the Senate last night and the next hour how McConnell was a mad genius calling the White House about his plans to shut down Warren. Why do I bother?

ETA: I took about a years worth of Russian/Soviet history in college. Yay me. One thing that stuck out to me was the belief in the strong ruler and blaming his cronies for any problems. I get the feeling that the people like the stability of the strong ruler, but most have made peace with knowing their place.

Edited by Dagny
More stuff
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, Dagny said:

One hour they were exclaiming how stupid it was to shut down Warren in the Senate last night and the next hour how McConnell was a mad genius calling the White House about his plans to shut down Warren. Why do I bother?

Did Joe mention that McConnell then allowed Sen. Merkley to read Coretta Scott King's letter after shutting Warren down?  I guess shutting up the womenz in the Senate was more important to McConnell.

• Love 2

According to the U Michigan website - 

http://fordschool.umich.edu/faculty/harold-ford

Looks like he teaches two classes, Monday afternoons. And this isn't Political Theory, it's two hours of gasbagging and war stories. I hated this crap in college - a celebrity professor teaching a few hours one day a week. Does anyone think he holds office hours or is available for student questions? Meanwhile assistant profs and grad TAs bust their butts all week and get paid a fraction.

Then again I seriously doubt he's burning the midnight oil at Morgan Stanley. He's available to go to lunch with clients and gives off a false impression that he can pick up the phone and smooth things over for a client down in Washington. With every year that goes by, that potential diminishes.

• Love 3

Did Joe mention that McConnell then allowed Sen. Merkley to read Coretta Scott King's letter after shutting Warren down?  I guess shutting up the womenz in the Senate was more important to McConnell.

As well as Udall and Sherrod Brown, if I understand correctly. It only seems to be a problem when a woman "impugns" a man.

• Love 7

I taped yesterday's show but only watched the part about fake news.  I just can't take Joe yelling and screaming and not letting anyone else really speak.  It would have been nice to talk about what fake news actually is instead of Joe just huffing and puffing.  I'm so tired of hearing about the MLK bust which of course Joe included as fake news but considering the source quickly said he was wrong I don't consider this fake news.  Fake news is the people like JOe who keep pushing the story as fake news.  I love that Donnie was able to squeak in that fake news is anything trump doesn't like.  I lasted about 10 minutes before I deleted the tape.

After seeing Joe so worked up yesterday, when I turned on the tv this morning he was so calmly talking about the Elizabeth Warren thing.  I wonder if he's on medications.  Even though it was calm Joe I turned the show off.

• Love 3

@realDonaldTrump: “Big increase in traffic into our country from certain areas, while our people are far more vulnerable, as we wait for what should be EASY D!” 

I am praying to sweet Baby Jesus that Joe tries to explain to Trump via tomorrow's show what "Easy D" means. 

It should be EASY D, but it's the D you work for that is really worth it. 

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 3

Joe gave the republican leadership a kick in the ass this morning.  I'm glad he was critical of their not standing up to trump and standing up for their principals.

However, he also says trump wants to run against Elizabeth Warren in 2020 which made me throw up a little thinking he could actually win a second term. 

• Love 1

Did Joe allude to the 25th Amendment during his rant, or was all that talk of T's cabinet openly worrying about the soundness of POTUS meant to say that people will be quitting en masse soon?

• Love 1

Mika was wearing an Episcopal scarf this morning - then at some point it was gone.  I agree with whoever posted that it's some sort of secret signal!  Joe was pretty good in discussing the danger posed by Trump's trash talk about the judiciary.

• Love 2

Can someone please explain to me all the sudden hand-wringing over Trump's un-presidential-ness? I mean, he showed us time and time again throughout his campaign how unfit and unstable he is. The panel is just now finally catching on to the fact that THIS IS WHO HE IS and he's never going to change???

I had a sad realization as I was listening to the final segment. Someone made the comment that everyone underestimated Trump during the election. That's actually not true. Everyone overestimated the electorate.

• Love 21
1 hour ago, captain1 said:

I agree with whoever posted that it's some sort of secret signal!  

Sort of like Bill Clinton wearing Lewinsky's ties!

It was great that they let Willie take the lead in questioning Blumenthal about the Gorsuch conversation.  He's just far more professional and less bloviating than Fatsby.

The mayor from Indiana and New Republic author at the end were great guests.  The DNC needs to refocus its efforts from presidential elections to the states. One of the criminally underreported stories of this election was that how monies purportedly raised by the DNC for state parties was then just roundtripped back to Clinton's campaign, where it went to such excellent use.  Only Politico really covered this.

Maya Angelou said, when somebody shows you who they are, believe them. Trump has shown us who he is for years. I don't understand why everyone is so shocked, shocked at all this. That doesn't mean not to be disgusted by it. But the pearl-clutching is a little much.

Edited by Mumbles
  • Love 2

It was great that they let Willie take the lead in questioning Blumenthal about the Gorsuch conversation.  He's just far more professional and less bloviating than Fatsby.

I was a bit taken aback by Halperin's drilling of Blumenthal: "Did Judge Gorsuch say it was okay to share the substance of your discussion??"

What the actual f**k? Isn't the point of these meetings supposed to be the Senators getting to know the nominees and conveying their impressions with, you know, their constituents who voted for them and have every right to know this shit? How are they supposed to do that without sharing the substance of those discussions? And, pardon me, but I don't recall any of Obama's nominees being afforded this lofty place of sacrosanct privacy!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Eliot said:

Can someone please explain to me all the sudden hand-wringing over Trump's un-presidential-ness? I mean, he showed us time and time again throughout his campaign how unfit and unstable he is. The panel is just now finally catching on to the fact that THIS IS WHO HE IS and he's never going to change???

I had a sad realization as I was listening to the final segment. Someone made the comment that everyone underestimated Trump during the election. That's actually not true. Everyone overestimated the electorate.

I saw a few minutes this morning. Don't Mika & Joe brag about how good friends they are with Trump for many years. They always tell us that Trump is very friendly and smart in private, but that he has an alter ego of a blowhard for public shows. If so, what are they worried about? Is this one of those issues about optics? 

• Love 1

5 HOURS AGO,  OAKVILLE SAID: 

Is this one of those issues about optics? 

When did this term enter the political lexicon?  I'm already annoyed by double down and wheelhouse.

You can blame "double down" on Halperin, who entitled one of his post-election burn books that. And from what my blackjack playing friends have told me, he misuses the term.

I agree, I hate all these terms. They reek of McKinsey-sequel consultant-speak, which, unsurprisingly, a lot of political pros started out in. 

29 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

You can blame "double down" on Halperin, who entitled one of his post-election burn books that. And from what my blackjack playing friends have told me, he misuses the term.

I agree, I hate all these terms. They reek of McKinsey-sequel consultant-speak, which, unsurprisingly, a lot of political pros started out in. 

You can see a split-second decision where the pundit (another term) is trying to find a way to work a cool reference into their commentary.

I'm a news junkie and need something to grouse about.

14 hours ago, spiderpig said:

When did this term enter the political lexicon?  I'm already annoyed by double down and wheelhouse.

Mika & Joe frequently analyze all political events based on the "optics" ie how will the media & public opinion will react to any move that a politician makes. It is much easier to analyze optics than the substance of the legislation or any move that a politician makes.

• Love 3

Friday Recap. Mika is wearing a violet Minister's jacket with a black turtleneck. Mika offered to sell her Unitarion scarf. Mika mocked KAC for trying to sell Ivanka's products on Fox. Joe is in the studio. He somehow got out of the snowy bunker. Joe is wearing a navy blazer. Katty is wearing one of Mika's tight black shirts. Willie & Halperin are on. Joe trashed the ruling on the travel ban because it focused on Due Process & not the law that allows the President to close the borders to aliens. Joe trashed the judges for not commenting on the law for 29 pages. Joe blamed Obama for having EO's that Conservative judges overturned. Joe is mad that local circuit judges are issuing politicized rulings.

Joe said Scalia would trash the FCA's rulings. Joe wants KAC to be reprimanded for supporting Ivanka's products.

Joe said there could be a Democrat Tea party because some people showed up at Jason Chavetts town hall shouting Do Your Job.

Joe said the protests are not crazy.

Joe said that Trump should fix the EO to allow Green Card holders in. Joe is upset with all the distractions at the White House. Joe is happy that Trump was nice to the Chinese.

Mika & Joe said the country is exhausted with all the Trump drama. Joe is mad that Trump keeps attacking judges.

Posh Katty dd not like Devos's jokes about the Bear. Halperin said that Posh Katty does not understand british humour and blamed Benny Hill.

• Love 1

Joe wants better messaging from the White House. Joe is happy that Trump is going golfing with the Japanese PM. Joe said that Trump could lose Mcain, Lindsey,Collins & Ben Sasse. Joe said Trump has to stop insulting everyone.

• Love 1

This show gave me a headache this morning.  Joe goes after the judges.  Joe somehow expected Jason Chaffetz's audience to applaud KellyAnne sales pitch?  And I am convinced that if President Obama had ever jetted to Florida with any head of state in tow to go golfing, Joe's head would have exploded.

• Love 7

The panel is excited that Rosie Odonnell is looking like Steve Bannon. She wants to be on SNL. Mika mispronounced Alan Dershowitz's name.

7 minutes ago, stormy said:

This show gave me a headache this morning.  Joe goes after the judges.  Joe somehow expected Jason Chaffetz's audience to applaud KellyAnne sales pitch?  And I am convinced that if President Obama had ever jetted to Florida with any head of state in tow to go golfing, Joe's head would have exploded.

Joe used to mock Obama for golfing. It's OK now that Trump is President. There aren't many activities that a 70 year old overweight man can do.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, oakville said:

I read that Morning Joe's ratings are up to 782k now. That is more than double the 2014 ratings

This is deeply discouraging.  Conflict as entertainment.  Friction as substance.  "Debate" as weighty as gossamer, and it's what the people want. 

• Love 6

Joe just can't help himself.  He's such a sycophant.    Guess it works for him.  The ratings are up?   At a time when the ogre Trump and his ogre-ettes are crashing  in one stupidity after the next,  Joe  keeps straining....and straining....and straining to advance the folly that  better "messaging" is there for the picking of this lousy bunch....  standing firm  against the judges, defending the disgraceful Kellyanne, telling us what a great gal Ivanka is (which poor Mika chimes in on...ick), praising the cuckoo and conflicted ogre's cabinet....yada yada yada.

Mika is now totally compromised as a co sychophant. 

These two will do anything to get another invitation to Mar O Lago?

• Love 5

This is deeply discouraging.  Conflict as entertainment.  Friction as substance.  "Debate" as weighty as gossamer, and it's what the people want. 

The increased ratings are discouraging, especially given that this was a much better show two years ago when they had writers and documentarians etc on the show.

Joe continues to fixate that these seven countries were ones that "Obama chose." Highly misleading out of context.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Lindy Dear said:

Joe just can't help himself.  He's such a sycophant.    Guess it works for him.  The ratings are up?   At a time when the ogre Trump and his ogre-ettes are crashing  in one stupidity after the next,  Joe  keeps straining....and straining....and straining to advance the folly that  better "messaging" is there for the picking of this lousy bunch....  standing firm  against the judges, defending the disgraceful Kellyanne, telling us what a great gal Ivanka is (which poor Mika chimes in on...ick), praising the cuckoo and conflicted ogre's cabinet....yada yada yada.

Mika is now totally compromised as a co sychophant. 

These two will do anything to get another invitation to Mar O Lago?

I think Joe hopes that Trump is still watching him every morning. Joe wants to become one Of Trumps key media advisors. The best way to do that is to keep harping on Bannon & Miller as incompetent. I am amused that Joe has not secured an interview with Trump yet.

The ratings for many cable shows is much higher now because Trump tweets so much and KAC & Spicer keep fighting every little battle. It's an easy story to cover.

Nobody wants to discuss charter schools vs public schools in the inner cities. It's much more fun to lampoon Devos as a gun loving grizzly bear killer

I also was amused that Mika was excited about having Ivanka join her in the White House council on women tour. Mika loves these schmmozy events. Joe gets to tag along as her fashion consultAnt

• Love 2

Okay, one thing that made me laugh was at the discussion about McDonalds, when Joe said, when I was young I liked to take two Big Mac's and smush them together and eat them and Mika added (I assume sarcastically) oh yeah, I used to do that too. I seriously doubt she's ever eaten a Big Mac in her life but the visual of her scarfing down two at once still makes me laugh now.

Edited by Mumbles
  • Love 1

and Mika added (I assume sarcastically) oh yeah, I used to do that too. I seriously doubt she's ever eaten a Big Mac in her life but the visual of her scarfing down two at once 

Don't be so quick--she used to have an eating disorder--who knows?

• Love 1

Catching up with the parts of Morning Joe that I missed this week.

There was an excellent interview with Jonathan Starr who is running a school in Somalia. They are teaching people & some of them are getting into MIT & Harvard. They will be affected by the travel ban.

The guy had Somali relatives & he said that he can't franchise the concept like Starbucks, but they hope to get 40 students per year scholarships into US universities.

John Turley called the 9th circuit judge decison on the travel ban as Impressionistic art.

Marcia Brady is engaged & wants to sign up for the Dominoes Wedding Registry. Mika doesn't like Dominos pizza.

Joe said that Trump likes to throw ideas at the wall & see what sticks. Mancin said that Trump is open to a path to legal status for  illegal immigrants.

Joe likes the McDonalds Snow Crab Sandwhich. Mika said it was disgusting.

Marcia Brady said there is no control of the staff by Priebus. There are 5 people running in different directions. Joe said that Bannon & Miller do whatever they want & don't listen to Priebus.

Marcia was happy that Andy Card controlled the White House. No staff got out of control.

• Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 3:58 AM, stormy said:

Seriously. And golf twice in three weeks? Outrageous!!! (for Obama, that is).

I tried watching once again the morning after the court decision and realized that I still hate Joe so much. Why even HAVE guests when you don't care about what they think if it disagrees with you?  I wasn't surprised that after his long rant against the 3-0 decision, he got Jonathan Turley on the phone for some predictable reinforcement.

When Halperin, of all people, broke the silence at the table to offer a mild counter-opinion "I don't agree with everything you just said because some of the reasoning behind this decision made sense to me" (paraphrasing), Joe cut him off and ranted some more.

He really should become press secretary when Spicer gets the axe (any day now, imo). Because Joe is far more suited to be Trump's alter-ego. He's a big, loud-mouthed bully, too, and he's not interested in reevaluating or rethinking any of his own ideas or beliefs. I got tired, so quickly, of him shouting down other points of view at the table (and telling us the "right" way to think once again, as if he hadn't already gone on and on for several, uninterrupted minutes).

He's insufferable on MJ, but it would be fun to see him having to face off with the WH press corps. Plus, with his ego, he'd love it if SNL mocked him (not, of course, EVER played by a woman!)

The way he bashed the circuit court judges and misrepresented the facts of the case and ruling, makes me think he must have been a terrible lawyer, if he practiced at all.

• Love 8

The only thing that would keep him from being press secretary is the pay cut by a magnitude of a multiple of 20 or so. And most people do the opposite - parlay a spokesman gig to a TV one (George Stephanopoulos, Diane Sawyer, Tony Snow). Plus how would working for a  racist Neanderthal play with the Nantucket set (joke, most of them are Trump people).

That said he is an egomaniac and I'm sure he's saved the millions he's made over the years. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Padma said:

Seriously. And golf twice in three weeks? Outrageous!!! (for Obama, that is).

I tried watching once again the morning after the court decision and realized that I still hate Joe so much. Why even HAVE guests when you don't care about what they think if it disagrees with you?  I wasn't surprised that after his long rant against the 3-0 decision, he got Jonathan Turley on the phone for some predictable reinforcement.

When Halperin, of all people, broke the silence at the table to offer a mild counter-opinion "I don't agree with everything you just said because some of the reasoning behind this decision made sense to me" (paraphrasing), Joe cut him off and ranted some more.

He really should become press secretary when Spicer gets the axe (any day now, imo). Because Joe is far more suited to be Trump's alter-ego. He's a big, loud-mouthed bully, too, and he's not interested in reevaluating or rethinking any of his own ideas or beliefs. I got tired, so quickly, of him shouting down other points of view at the table (and telling us the "right" way to think once again, as if he hadn't already gone on and on for several, uninterrupted minutes).

He's insufferable on MJ, but it would be fun to see him having to face off with the WH press corps. Plus, with his ego, he'd love it if SNL mocked him (not, of course, EVER played by a woman!)

The way he bashed the circuit court judges and misrepresented the facts of the case and ruling, makes me think he must have been a terrible lawyer, if he practiced at all.

Mika would never let Joe quit his job to join the White House unless it was as VP. Joe said  that Trump does business on the golf course with allies & uses the golf games to get deals done. Joe applauded Trump's golf game and said he was a good golfer.There was an episode on the Apprentice many years ago where Mika & Joe golfed with Trump on one show. Joe trashed Obama for only golfing with GOP speaker Boehner once. Joe said Obama only golfed for pleasure and with his friends & never got any deals done with Congress or the Senate.

Joe mocked the court ruling because it never dealt with the statute that said that the President can control the borders.

• Love 1

Joe trashed Obama for only golfing with GOP speaker Boehner once. Joe said Obama only golfed for pleasure and with his friends & never got any deals done with Congress or the Senate.

Yeah, never acknowledging the fact that Boehner et all shunned every Obama effort at outreach. Shut up, Joe.

He's been singing the praises of Tillerson and claiming that he's "doing all the right things" to stabilize State. I wonder how he'll react to the fact that Trump overruled Tillerson on the Elliot Abrams appointment because Abrams said mean things about President Snowflake during the campaign.

• Love 4

I averted my gaze when they ran it a second time.

Gving credit where it is due, I didn't think (the) Trump (admin) would implode this soon. I was thinking more around the six-month mark. So I am impressed.

More credit to Joe for vigorously thumping Trump and Flynn. Mika was beside herself with disapproval and made a couple references to comments she would like to make, except that Joe already told her to zip it with those.

• Love 4

I was surprised to hear Mika dissing the admin talking about all the lies going around, and ESPECIALLY for her mentioning KAC.  I remember during the campaign she and Joe loved her.  I don't remember if they called her "a friend of the show" exactly, but they often said how good and professional she was. The SNL sketch was great, albeit a bit heavy handed.  I wonder if KAC has moved her kids to DC yet, hope not she may not last. (hope??!)

• Love 2