Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Mumbles said:

Omg, between David Gregory, Joe and Dead-Eyed Harold, what a bunch of ghouls in that video.

Joe looks like a kid back then. He is so mature looking now with his fancy glasses. Where did he get the extra hair? He had the founders of that company whose name escapes me now on the show a few times. I think Mika is unrecognizable now compared to 2008.

• Love 1

Catching up with Friday's show. Joe agrees with Eugene Robinson that the democrats have to filibuster Gorsuch's nomination. The base is excited about protesting Trump so they need to fight the nomination even if they lose. Joe is OK with going Nuclear over the SC.

Eugene admitted that the GOP controls all levers of governments & the states as well. The Democrats have to start winning elections at all levels.

Posh Katty said McConnell will get rid of the filibuster & allow 51 votes to determine Gorsuch's appointment.

David Ignatius was excited by the march in Washington. It is the beginning of the revolution against Trump. It's important that they remember to vote in 2018.

Katy Tur said her doctor told her that millenials are complaining about heart palpatations since Trump was inaugurated. Joe mocked her.

Joe blamed Bannon & Miller for the EO on the Travel Ban last week.

Tom Brokaw came on the show. He complained about Trump's ties and that Joe doesn't wear ties.

Joe said that Jared can't monitor Trump's twitter account on Saturday's because it is the the Sabbath. Joe said Trump tweets crazy things on Saturday when Jaed isn't around.

Brokaw is very upset at the violence at Berkeley. Brokaw said it's worse than the 1960's.

Brokaw supports Gorsuch. He went to Oxford. He said he has a good reputation.

Katy said the Democrats can't oppose everything Trump proposes. She wants to save the filibuster for Ruth Bader Ginsburg or Kennedey.

She wants Democrats to pick their fights.

Brokaw blasted the Democrats for re electing Pelosi to be the leader. He said they have to talk to people in Middle America.

Ignatious said Trump is Ready Fire Aim.

Brokaw blasted Obama for ignoring Syria. He said the terrorists in Orlando, San Bernandino were home grown and radicalized here.

Big discussion on the Johnson amendment. Trump wants to repeal it to allow churches to endorse candidates. joe said Congress won't approve it.

Joe is shocked how popular Trump is with evangelicals. Trump is more popular than Romney.

Joe said that Trump beat a very weak candiate like Hillary.

Heilemann reminded Joe that Trump beat Cruz and other GOP candidates who had better religious credentials than Trump.

Joe said he was a heathen & popular with baptists. Joe said he won the evangelical vote in his district.

Joe said that Trump has to deal with CEO's. Joe ran out of things to say at 845 am. The panel laughed at him.

Joe made fun of the bowling green massacre.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, oakville said:

Big discussion on the Johnson amendment. Trump wants to repeal it to allow churches to endorse candidates. joe said Congress won't approve it.

Joe is shocked how popular Trump is with evangelicals. Trump is more popular than Romney

This is terrifying

• Love 4

Ad rates doubling like that is a judgment by management.  It's a qualitative leap, not quantitative, because viewership has not gone up.  So the ad execs selling time have been instructed by their bosses to rep Morning Joe’s air time as having more value now than it did before… somehow.
And we come to understand the purpose in allowing Joe Scarborough to become a virus infecting American media.  This is why he is permitted to be a herpes sore in American media and politics.  Higher ad rates for a while and profits could increase. 

Edited by Landsnark
  • Love 6

I think that since Trump said essentially the same thing to Joe during in interview last year (according to a tweet from an NBC producer) that he'll just dismiss it to focus on the tweets attacking the judge. Joe has a piece in the Washington Post about it that seems to say Trump is undermining his success thus far by going after the judge. It will probably be the topic of his first rant tomorrow. 

• Love 3

Monday Recap. Joe was sad that the Patriots won. He went on a long rant about how bad the Atlanta teams have been in all the sports.

Joe was in his Bunker with a new navy suit & red tie. Mika was wearing a red turtleneck.  No scarf. Willie called in by phone with a slurred voice.

Everyone was shocked by the Patriots comeback.

Joe said Trump shouldn't fight with judges. Clinton was isbarred by the Supreme Court. Nixon fought with the courts over the tapes and lost.

Joe was upset that he had to rewrite his column several times because Trump kept changing positions on topics.

Joe is baffled by the narrative that Bannon is running the white house. Joe said that Trump is still in charge.

Meacham called Trump Shermanesque. Joe said Trump goes crazy on twitter on Saturday mornings when Jared is at the synagogue.

Joe is upset at Putin killing journalists.  Joe said that Iran & Russia are working with Assad but that it is better if Russia works with the USA against Isis.

Halperin said Lady Gaga changes wardrobe almost as much as Joe Scarborough does over a 3 hour show.

Joe said that the Separation of Powers is important.

Cofessore said the staff around Trump waste a lot of time trying to defend Trump's impulses.

Tina Brown showed up at 8 30 am. She said women's march is exciting and will reawaken opposition to Trump. She also was shocked that 56% of white women voted for Trump over Hillary.

Tina was expecting Trump to pivot and be responsible.

Marcia Brady showed up to say that her focus groups in Michigan show that Democrats want to allow trump to pick his Supreme Court nominee.

Tina Brown said that Pence is busy cleaning up Elephant poo after Trump makes statements.

Mika was mad at Democrat women for giving Bill Clinton a free pass with Monica Lewinsky.

Mika was very mad at Bill Clinton. Tina Brown mumbled at her.

Tina Brown wants more women in the cabinet.

Mika found out that Melissa Mcarthy is a funny actress. Mika likes her & she is her new favourite.

Mika said that Melissa would be funny in movies.

Mika liked the Audi commercial because it promoted equal pay for women.

Mika can't figure out why Trump is so nice about Putin. Tina thinks that Russia is financing Trump's hotel business.

Hmm. Why can't the media investigate Trump's business dealings with Russia?

• Love 3
Just now, teddysmom said:

Well then he's not paying attention. 

Joe thinks he should be running the White House. Joe is upset that the narrative in the media is not about him giving advice to Trump .

Joe also brought up the point that Obama was rude to the Supreme Court justices when they attended the State of the Union. It was over a campaign finance ruling.

• Love 2

Mika said that Melissa would be funny in movies.

... that Mika will not lower herself to go to.  That Melissa McCarthy sketch was like the funniest thing I've seen on SNL in years (that is not a dig against SNL)  the Homeland Security edited video was also a blast

• Love 5

Guess he forgot about Bush 43's comment " In 2004, President Bush did seem to take aim at Massachusetts’s highest court, which had two months earlier ruled in favor of same-sex marriage. “Activist judges,” Mr. Bush said, “have begun redefining marriage by court order.”

Neither Obama or Bush called out any justice by name, nor insulted their heritage or doubted their credentials, ie " he's Mexican he can't be fair" and "so called judge. "

But then when have we not known Joe to use false equivalency when he can't make his point with facts. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, oakville said:

Mika was mad at Democrat women for giving Bill Clinton a free pass with Monica Lewinsky.

Mika was very mad at Bill Clinton.

Joe Scarborough bangs his subordinate, causes her to abandon her marriage.  Infidelity outrages Mika.  Trump brags about his infidelities, is proud of them, gets votes from 56% of white women, but it's 2017 and it's Bill Clinton who's the villain.

Make of those 3 sentences what you will.

• Love 15
5 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

Joe Scarborough bangs his subordinate, causes her to abandon her marriage.  Infidelity outrages Mika.  Trump brags about his infidelities, is proud of them, gets votes from 56% of white women, but it's 2017 and it's Bill Clinton who's the villain.

My vote is for all three.

1 minute ago, Landsnark said:

Make of those 3 sentences what you will.

I am amused by Mika & Joe's hypocrisy. Trump was supposed to reveal the true story about Mika & Joe during the campaign last year. However, Mika & Joe toned down their attacks on Trump and started supporting him again, so we won't know what happened between the lovely couple. I do find it strange that they refuse to go public about their affair. Both of them have divorced their spouses and broken up their families. Does Joe think that he will lose credibility with his viewers if he admits that he cheated on his wives ?. Joe could argue that he was being bi partisan by divorcing a  GOP lady who was working for low energy Jeb & replaced her with  high energy  Democrat Mika.

Mika does bear a striking resemblance to Melania Trump. Maybe Joe started dating her to impress Trump. Mika does look Melania's older sister if you look closely.

Wouldn't Mika's admission of leaving her husband for Joe be an interesting talking point at her seminars on Knowing your Value? . Mika could be a spokesperson for advocating that women can move up in the workplace if they sleep with their bosses or higher ranked co workers?

I can't stop laughing at Mika when she gets on her high horse attacking Trump for not having enough women in the cabinet.

• Love 3

Mika's like the ghost whisperer.  Today, during the discussion of why does trump keep complimenting Putin,  she barely mumbled maybe Putin has something on trump and that she'd liked to know what that is. 

• Love 5

Mika's like the ghost whisperer.  Today, during the discussion of why does trump keep complimenting Putin,  she barely mumbled maybe Putin has something on trump and that she'd liked to know what that is. 

More like Dobby the house elf. She'll say something she knows she shouldn't (in that she knows it'll piss Joe off)  then start banging her head on the desk. Bad Mika!!! 

#Dobbyisfree

• Love 7
2 hours ago, stormy said:

It is mind boggling that no one in the media is able to do some investigative work on Trump's business dealings. I suppose it was easier for them to sit around the table and bloviate about polls.

• Love 3
Just now, stormy said:

Well according to their BFF, the polls are fake news.

The polls were wrong during the election in terms of predicting the swing states. I find it ludicrous how much time Morning Joe was spending during the election talking about polls.

• Love 2

Not only did Mika play dumb about not knowing who Melissa McCarthy is, no one on the show barely cracked a smile on her Spicer bit.

While on CNN this morning, Alysin and Chris were bellowing they thought it was so funny.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 3

Mika danced all around Trump's Putin-love during the hour I saw, listing the unlikely reasons and asking others for their thoughts as to a reason so they could take the bullet. No one would bite, so finally she said (paraphrasing here) "Well, I'm just going to say it. Might it be financial?" Leaving her repeated questions hanging there unanswered would add to her reputation as a nitwit and LMAO, at this stage of her, uh, career she made like a rookie and painted herself into a corner.

I mostly like Elise Jordan except sometimes she sounds like Casey Anthony. She called something "obvioush obshtructionism" this morning and followed that with "overshight." Gah.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, oakville said:

It is mind boggling that no one in the media is able to do some investigative work on Trump's business dealings. I suppose it was easier for them to sit around the table and bloviate about polls.

David Farenholdt (sp?) of the Washington Post and Kurt Eichenwals of Newsweek have done stellar reporting into Trump's business misdeslings. But you won't see them on Morning Trump.

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 12
4 hours ago, suomi said:

Mika danced all around Trump's Putin-love during the hour I saw, listing the unlikely reasons and asking others for their thoughts as to a reason so they could take the bullet. No one would bite, so finally she said (paraphrasing here) "Well, I'm just going to say it. Might it be financial?" Leaving her repeated questions hanging there unanswered would add to her reputation as a nitwit and LMAO, at this stage of her, uh, career she made like a rookie and painted herself into a corner.

I mostly like Elise Jordan except sometimes she sounds like Casey Anthony. She called something "obvioush obshtructionism" this morning and followed that with "overshight." Gah.

It's absolutely ridiculous how dumb Mika acts on the show with respect to Trump's business dealings. The Trump Hotel bankruptcy in Toronto is often "front page news" here in Toronto. I like Elise Jordan. I prefer her to Cackles Wallace but she looks too much like the actress who played Marcia Brady in the Brady Bunch Movie.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Well if Joe's going to start blaming the press for putting out fake news and not checking facts before retweeting and all the other spaghetti he threw out to see what would stick to the walls, he really needs to look in the mirror.  He had this lying con man on morning after morning with his lies and and general BS, and never held him accountable.  Although he claims to have manuscripts to prove he always did his homework.

And today Mika knows everything about Lady GaGa.  

We aren't going to be able to listen to anyone smart come on and talk about the economy.  Jeffery Sachs did but when you've promised your legions to take them back to the 19th century, they aren't going to listen anyway.

• Love 6

Joe said it was the "Federalist" with the fake news list. Not sure if that's a website for the Federalist Society or something unrelated.

The first twenty minutes of this mess could be summarized as "Steve Bannon is not controlling Trump but to the extent something bad is happening, it is Steve Bannon's fault."

Joe was at it again, making Trump's so-called judge remark equivalent to Obama criticizing Citizens United opinion at the SOTU. 

No scarf. Black turtleneck. Quite existentialist.

Edited by Mumbles
  • Love 6

Well, if you saw the piece, the problem is, "fake news" is a very sloppy label. There is complete fabrication (Bowling Green massacre) and there is misreporting (error in reporting the removal the bust of Martin Luther King). These are all being lumped into "fake news." Willie the voice of reason pointed out the importance for journalists to be careful in this day in age because Trump will lump any reporting error as "fake news." And Halperin correctly pointed out out that the Clintons would seize upon an innoceng reporting error to whine about unfair coverage. Trump just takes this to an extreme degree.

• Love 5

Toward the end of the second hour Mika suddenly sported a long blue scarf wrapped around her neck, with one end trailing behind her and the other end cascading down in front appeared to be longer than Trump's ties.

Edited by suomi
  • Love 1

I love how Joe keeps touting Jared Kushner as this statesman and isn't anyone listening to him?  And all bad tweets happen on Saturday morning when Jared is busy observing the Sabbath.  Is Jared an orthodox Jew?  Because if he isn't then he can work on Saturdays.

Jared can't babysit this nincompoop!

And again we have a man claiming to be president and showing up in front of troops yesterday complaining about fake news.  Joe said he thinks they're told to ignore this kind of stuff?  No.  This man does not have a clue how to act presidential.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Mumbles said:

Well, if you saw the piece, the problem is, "fake news" is a very sloppy label. There is complete fabrication (Bowling Green massacre) and there is misreporting (error in reporting the removal the bust of Martin Luther King). These are all being lumped into "fake news." Willie the voice of reason pointed out the importance for journalists to be careful in this day in age because Trump will lump any reporting error as "fake news." And Halperin correctly pointed out out that the Clintons would seize upon an innoceng reporting error to whine about unfair coverage. Trump just takes this to an extreme degree.

I watched the segment and I feel like joe and crew were missing the bigger point. no matter what the news says about donald, he is going to say it's fake. to me, the conversation is pointless. everything negative is fake in DT's view. period. 

• Love 3

And Halperin correctly pointed out out that the Clintons would seize upon an innoceng reporting error to whine about unfair coverage.

Comparing this to what Trump is doing is apples to elephants, Halperin and his hatred of Hillary Clinton is beyond ridiculous.  

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, Lana X said:

I watched the segment and I feel like joe and crew were missing the bigger point. no matter what the news says about donald, he is going to say it's fake. to me, the conversation is pointless. everything negative is fake in DT's view. period. 

Exactly he's said , I'm sorry, TWEETED those exact words.  All negative polls are Fake. So let's lump all negative news is fake too.  I can't stomach MJ anymore. I tried last week. It's just pointless. It's just the Trump Bandwagon and they take us along for the ride.  Everything gets twisted around to make look Trump good.  It wasn't Trump's fault it was a little peon kid (who btw is 30+ years old) who enacted the EO.  Yeah okay.  NOW today they are saying Trump didn't even know what he was signing when he put Bannon on the NSC.  That's encouraging. Good grief. Did they talk about that little tidbit today? I doubt it b/c it makes look like the lackey that he truly is.

• Love 3

Jared is Orthodox, but separate and apart from that, he's no great shakes. His dad donated $$$$ to Harvard prior to his admission; his former teachers have told the press he wasn't Harvard material. He used daddy's money to buy a paper and by all reports has no idea how to run it. He's also managed to be the one person who has lost money buying property in Brooklyn (it wasn't zoned properly.) He's a nice looking guy with cute kids but never has done anything successful in his own, other than to shiv Chris Christie. So why does this crowd place so much faith in him and praise him to the high heaven? 

Comparing this to what Trump is doing is apples to elephants, 

YMMV but I think it's a difference of degree. Trump is more obnoxious and blatant about it, and has social media to magnify his message and make a bigger fool of himself. But Bill Clinton was constantly whining about the media being out to get him. It wasn't as loud, but it was a running theme of his presidency. And you can count on one hand the number of morning shows Hillary Clinton waddled onto during her campaign (when she wasn't not waddling through Michigan and Wisconsin.) To her credit she didn't slam the media but she severely limited the press's availability to her. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, suomi said:

Toward the end of the second hour Mika suddenly sported a long blue scarf wrapped around her neck, with one end trailing behind her and the other end cascading down in front appeared to be longer than Trump's ties.

LOL. Mika should write a book on the meaning of scarves. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

What the frick was it with those chickens on Mika's phone?  I turn it on and she's holding out her phone showing chickens?  Sure, that is a good idea, let's do that rather than discussing how our country is going to Hell in a Handbasket.

Even worse, she named two of them Donald and Melania.

• Love 2

Mika should write a book on the meaning of scarves. 

Well, she's claiming that she's writing a book on Millenials, but I wasn't looking at her face to see whether she was joking.

On that note, I could care less what Millenials feel. Boring. I don't know why they have on the pollster from Harvard every few weeks to talk about them. And I'd be curious how many of these Harvard Millenials who care so much about public service end up doing it, and how many end up at an investment bank or consulting firm.

Edited by Mumbles
  • Love 2

My eyes rolled back so hard at Joe's declaration of "It's FAKE NEWS!!!". I guess the MLK bust story will be a thing to trot out to compare with: the fake Bowling Green Massacre, the 3M votes by "illegals", and whatever lie the WH wants to promote. And who the heck was Joe quoting with all the "stories" by the "mainstream media"? It seemed like he was talking about all of the fringe websites that people link to on Facebook.

I was trying to watch MJ but when they just trot out the DJT talking points, I'm out. 

• Love 4

It's so hard with this program. Nothing Trump does is questioned by the hosts. DJT is completely in charge, but Miller wrote the horrible EO, Bannon didn't tell Trump a separate EO was putting him on the NSC, and only Jared can control twittering Trump. But, according to Joe's bellow this morning, Trump is in charge. 

I struggle with characterizing Joe and Mika's support. They are not really apologists, because Trump does nothing wrong. They aren't really cheerleaders because they aren't rooting for the team (their disdain for Miller and Bannon is palpable).  Maybe mouthpieces?  

• Love 3

I am familiar with the Arkansas Project (and interestingly, David Brock's role in it) but their demonization of the media expanded beyond just the right wing. Ken Auletta wrote a piece in the New Yorker years ago analyzing Hillary Clinton's antagonistic posture against the media. They aren't as stupid and combative as Trump. But Halperin was right, they complained more than Bush 43 and Obama did (although Bush 43 had nothing to complain about.)

14 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

I am familiar with the Arkansas Project (and interestingly, David Brock's role in it) but their demonization of the media expanded beyond just the right wing. Ken Auletta wrote a piece in the New Yorker years ago analyzing Hillary Clinton's antagonistic posture against the media. They aren't as stupid and combative as Drumpf. But Halperin was right, they complained more than Bush 43 and Obama did (although Bush 43 had nothing to complain about.)

Halperin's anti-Clinton bias is legendary, so anything he says about them is to be taken with large grains of something.  

If I were Hillary and people had gotten away with accusing me of murdering my lover Vince Foster for my lesbian lover Susan McDougal, I think I'd have the same kind of coat of armor around me that HRC created for herself.  

• Love 9

The NYT, the Washington Post, the major news networks never accused Clinton of those crazy things and yet she rarely granted access to them during this campaign. They did however ask President Clinton about Lewinsky, and were lied to. Whatever Halperin's bias is, he's correct on this point.