Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

11 minutes ago, oakville said:

Joe said that Democrats should be worried that Trump is meeting with so many union leaders

Joe's wrong.  The Republicans should be worried.  The Democrats should support this and encourage it and spin it as a huge win for unions in America and for progressive ideology.  The Republicans can react to that.

• Love 10

^^^ This.  Gutting unions was what lead to the recall in 2012 of Wisconsin gov Scott Walker.  It was pushed because of the republican's agenda of limiting collective bargaining privileges of state employees.  Of course the recall failed and Walker won.

But republican governors have been weakening unions for years now.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Landsnark said:

Joe's wrong.  The Republicans should be worried.  The Democrats should support this and encourage it and spin it as a huge win for unions in America and for progressive ideology.  The Republicans can react to that.

Joe's view is that Trump is being sympathetic to union leaders so that he can win reelection in 2020. Trump wants to create jobs that tend to be unionized. 

Joe was also happy that Trump was busy meeting with many groups during the first day in office. Joe said that Obama was a loner who never liked to meet with anyone. Joe said that Obama would go up to the private quarters after working in the White House. 

Joe said the people invited last night for dinner were very happy. Joe said Trump can make deals with Democrats & Republicans.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Landsnark said:

Joe's view is that Trump is being sympathetic to union leaders so that he can win reelection in 2020. Trump wants to create jobs that tend to be unionized. 

Joe was also happy that Trump was busy meeting with many groups during the first day in office. Joe said that Obama was a loner who never liked to meet with anyone. Joe said that Obama would go up to the private quarters after working in the White House. 

Joe said the people invited last night for dinner were very happy. Joe said Trump can make deals with Democrats & Republicans.

While they were all oohing and ahhing about AirBnB at the end of the show, no mention that it has resulted in screwing up housing markets in cities because landlords make more money renting their apartments for $200-300 a night than renting them to longterm tenants. Or that they result in avoiding taxes owed to cities because they're technically not hotels (but might as well be). 

Trump may accelerate it, but the demise of the regulatory state began long before he came on the scene. And given that many of Obama's former advisers are now bigshots at Uber etc, it is not only the Republicans' doing. Neither party has been particularly great to the poor (although to avoid false equivalencies, one is still a lot better.)

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

While they were all oohing and ahhing about AirBnB at the end of the show, no mention that it has resulted in screwing up housing markets in cities because landlords make more money renting their apartments for $200-300 a night than renting them to longterm tenants. Or that they result in avoiding taxes owed to cities because they're technically not hotels (but might as well be). 

Trump may accelerate it, but the demise of the regulatory state began long before he came on the scene. And given that many of Obama's former advisers are now bigshots at Uber etc, it is not only the Republicans' doing. Neither party has been particularly great to the poor (although to avoid false equivalencies, one is still a lot better.)

Morning Joe has been very pro Uber for years. Willie loved the service. It arrived recently in Oakville, and my daughter loves it as a way to get home from school & friends. It is so safe and she can use my credit card to pay for the services. Not all taxis take credit cards here.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, oakville said:

Morning Joe has been very pro Uber for years. Willie loved the service. It arrived recently in Oakville, and my daughter loves it as a way to get home from school & friends. It is so safe and she can use my credit card to pay for the services. Not all taxis take credit cards here.

Sidenote: I had a horrible Uber experience during my recent visit to Oakville!

That's all. Carry on!

Joe said that Obama was a loner who never liked to meet with anyone. Joe said that Obama would go up to the private quarters after working in the White House. 

Yes the photos of the thousands of people President Obama met with over the two terms prove that.  

• Love 14
3 hours ago, oakville said:

Joe said that Obama was a loner who never liked to meet with anyone. Joe said that Obama would go up to the private quarters after working in the White House. 

Did he mention when Obama invited House members to come over they refused to come? Just want to know if there'll be any truth over the next 4 years. Can't wait until we get to participate in these cable news shows via Twitter.

• Love 11

Joe said that Obama would go up to the private quarters after working in the White House. 

I didn't see the show, but I don't even understand what Joe means.  I mean, where the hell else was Obama supposed to go after he finished work (actually, a president never "finishes" work but who knows about this new one)?  Was the man not supposed to get dinner, maybe spend time with family, and get some sleep?  Or was he supposed to go out drinking with the Republicans?

• Love 7

I watched the show this morning with the sound off just before the 9 am hour began  (because I really can't listen to them anymore) and the body language between Joe and Mika is amazing. Mika is extremely flirtatious, turning away from the camera towards Joe and widening her eyes. Then she bends her head to say something private to him. At one point Joe clearly  started reaching for Mika's hand but physically stopped himself just before taking it - which was kind of funny since he didn't know what to do then. Amazing what I've missed when I've wasted my time listening. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I didn't see the show, but I don't even understand what Joe means.  I mean, where the hell else was Obama supposed to go after he finished work (actually, a president never "finishes" work but who knows about this new one)?  Was the man not supposed to get dinner, maybe spend time with family, and get some sleep?  Or was he supposed to go out drinking with the Republicans?

Joe has been arguing for years that Obama failed to get his policies accepted by Congress because he refused to socialize with Democrats & Republicans after 6 pm. Joe said that Clinton always had parties in the evening at the White House for members of Congress. He was able to get support from the GOP in the 1990s. Joe is very happy that Trump is hosting dinners for the GOP and Democrats.

7 hours ago, Drumpf1737 said:

Did he mention when Obama invited House members to come over they refused to come? Just want to know if there'll be any truth over the next 4 years. Can't wait until we get to participate in these cable news shows via Twitter.

No. in the past, Joe has said that it was Obamas responsibility to meet with the GOP to get their support. Joe said that you have to wine and dine the opposition

25 minutes ago, oakville said:

Joe has been arguing for years that Obama failed to get his policies accepted by Congress because he refused to socialize with Democrats & Republicans after 6 pm. Joe said that Clinton always had parties in the evening at the White House for members of Congress. He was able to get support from the GOP in the 1990s. Joe is very happy that Trump is hosting dinners for the GOP and Democrats.

Well, Joe has been full of shit for years...about many things, not just Obama's dinner parties.

Obama started out having open house type receptions on Wednesday night at the White House. He ended the practice after a few months when no Republicans would come. Obama tried inviting Republicans to come to the White House on Sunday afternoon to watch premieres of big new movie releases. None would accept his invitation. Obama was the first president to have special dinners to celebrate various other religions' celebrations. No Republicans, Jewish or not, would join him.

I could go on down the list of other ways the Republicans refused to show any respect for President Obama. Clinton didn't have dinner parties. Bill and Hillary were scorned in Washington for being country hicks and it was big news at the time about how excoriated they were. Clinton didn't get support from the Republicans, he gave in to the Republicans. That's how the country got DADT, the big Crime bill, the big Welfare Reform bill, the Glass Steagall repeal and numerous other right wing policies in the 90s. Obama had too much integrity and dignity to cave in to the Republicans like Clinton did.

• Love 15

Wednesday recap. Angry Joe is back. He is excited about all of Trump's policies. He is mad at Cookie Roberts for Trump limited refugees. Mika is trying to adopt a family of refugees and it will be tough to do now. Mika does not like waterboarding. Mika said Trump hired serious people who won't waste time on crowd size.

Joe said when he was elected to Congress, he kept his promises.

Joe is amazed how many things Trump is trying to get done in one week. Trump wants to send federal troops to stop the violence in Chicago.

Joe said Obama was not focused on terrorism.

Joe is in Bulldozer mode today. Joe basically called Cokie & Barnicle sissies for their position on refugees. Joe keeps talking over Cokie.

Mika & Joe are wearing matching navy sweater. No scarf today. Two days in a row. Is Mika in scarf rehab?

• Love 3

Cokie Roberts says that usually mommy is the person in the White House to put the president in timeout  but she doesn't live there so there's no one to keep trump from acting like an idiot every day.

Mika, made me laugh when she said that Melania could do that but she can't live in Washington, DC.

Thank God former ambassador Nicholas Burns showed up.  A true foreign affairs professional that knows what he's talking about.

• Love 8
42 minutes ago, oakville said:

Joe said Obama was not focused on terrorism.

When Joe says stuff like that, I want to punch him in his whiny, nasally, squinty-eyed face.  Compliment Trump all you want, but stop with your shitty lies and purposeful mischaracterizations against President Obama. To assert that Mr Obama was not focused on terrorism is a ridiculous, stupid LIE.

And like shok writes above, many of us have long memories as to the MANY ways Mr Obama tried to reach out to the opposition, only to be spit on again and again and again.

Joe and Mika are trying MIGHTILY to present their pal as some kind of superhuman statesman, even bragging that the guy never sleeps cause, you know, he's so committed.  My observation is that in the few days he's been in office, he has looked progressively more puffy, bleary-eyed, sniffffffy and punchy. Instead of bragging about his sleeplessness, these two twits should encourage the guy to get rest and sleep.

• Love 16

Did Joe mention that Obama also had two little girls, at that time, who probably needed to see their father regularly? Dinner time was clearly family time. I don't know about Joe and Mika's parenting but the Obamas seem to have done a pretty good job.

• Love 12

Did Joe discuss:
- the cost of building an unnecessary wall the length of Mexico's northern border?
- Mexico dropping out of NAFTA
- the US abdicating its role as chief trade partner on Earth
- the freeze on any public communication by any science bureau, agricultural bureau, and federal land bureau
- the approval of the stupidest person in American public life to direct HUD
- the repeated lie that 3 million people voted illegally for trump, and the lie that there is proof
- the actual impacts of dropping out of TPP
- Trump has done nothing other than sign Executive Orders, something that made Fox News and the right wing burn in white hot sanctimonious rage, that destroy established American policy, and has not pushed anything forth that requires the legal approval of Americans
- his taxes
- Russia
This is just off the top of my head and I haven't had coffee

Edited by Landsnark
  • Love 12

From a March 2013 article in the New York Times - http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/12/us/politics/obamas-gop-outreach-hits-barriers.html

WASHINGTON — For all the attention to President Obama’s new campaign of outreach to Republicans, it was four months ago — on the eve of bipartisan budget talks — that he secretly invited five of them to the White House for a movie screening with the stars of “Lincoln,” the film about that president’s courtship of Congress to pass a significant measure.

None accepted.

Joe has been parroting that line about Obama for years. He also forgets to add the part where the GOP congressional leadership met the night of Obama's inauguration in 2009 to promise to make him a one-term president. They failed of course but that was their mindset from day one.

• Love 10

I see Joe was back to the Trump ass kissing full on this morning. 

Please Joe if you want to be a dj that bad and talk about old Steely Dan songs, go do it and give us all the belated Christmas present we deserve.

Interesting he reads those tweets on breaks and talks about them, but I didn't hear any mention of mine asking him to ask Politico who the fuck they polled on that inaugural speech question? The Trump family?  49% liked it?  49% of who? Russian government? old Nazis?  imaginary illegal voters? people at inauguration who were standing on the magic white lawn coverings that made them invisible? 

• Love 8

Did Joe discuss:
- the cost of building an unnecessary wall the length of Mexico's northern border?
- the freeze on any communication between any science bureau, agricultural bureau, and federal land bureau
- the approval of a the stupidest person in American public life to direct HUD
- the repeated lie that 3 million people voted illegally for trump, and the lie that there is proof
- Trump has done nothing other than sign Executive Orders, something that made Fox News and the right wing burn in white hot sanctimonious rage, that destroy established American policy, and has not pushed anything forth that requires the legal approval of Americans
- his taxes
- Russia

I would add to this list the request from the governor of Mississippi for a disaster declaration and FEMA assistance after the deadly tornadoes over the weekend. As of yesterday, there had been no response from Trump. I'm sure if Obama had ignored something like this, Joe would have given him a pass as well.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Landsnark said:

Did Joe discuss:
- the freeze on any communication between any science bureau, agricultural bureau, and federal land bureau
- the approval of a the stupidest person in American public life to direct HUD
- his taxes
- Russia
This is just off the top of my head and I haven't had coffee

No not in the first hour

I, too, was curious about the Politico poll.  I don't want to join trump with the "rigged" BS, but I don't think they polled anyone like me.

It was agreed that all Presidents sign executive orders, but no one mentioned that maybe not every President does it all day every day with cameras there to make themselves look so "see me, I'm so strong and important".

And was the whole martial law in Chicago brought up?  I only lasted for 30 minutes.

• Love 2

The Mississippi tornadoes are really troubling. If he really has not sent FEMA to help out, this is what we can expect for disasters for the next few years.  I've been watching local news from Mississippi and I've heard no outcry about it yet, so I'm wondering what that's about.  I'll keep my eye on it (for whatever good that will do).

ETA: WLBT was reporting that people from FEMA are on the scene and that relief centers will be up by the end of the week.

Edited by revbfc
  • Love 2

Mika & Joe are wearing matching navy sweater. No scarf today. Two days in a row. Is Mika in scarf rehab?

Wow! It can be really tough to quit scarves cold turkey. Stay Strong Mika!

• Love 5
1 minute ago, stormy said:

And was the whole martial law in Chicago brought up?  I only lasted for 30 minutes.

Not as "Martial Law."

This entire blizzard of Executive Orders really tells me that the legislative branch is an afterthought to our new President.  Obama used them because he couldn't work with Congress, this guy is doing it for other reasons (which I will not get into because it'll become a rant).

• Love 6

Did Joe wonder why Trump has not signed an Executive Order demanding all available bureaus investigate the coordinated voter fraud in the vastest conspiracy of its kind in American history?  Is Joe not curious why Trump is trying to solve this criminal issue that Trump refers to daily?  Trump could put the entire DNC in jail and "drain the swamp," yet... odd that he's not even interested in it.  Heh.
Clearly, Joe is one of those married women who just want it so badly from any celebrity and doesn't mind Trump's hand up his skirt... but every single other guest on the panel won't stand up and ask what the fuck is happening here?
I refuse to watch any of the Political-Entertainment networks any longer as I won't contribute to their prolonged non-serious push for ratings, but surely there are adults at MSNBC who see Joe's antics as dangerous?

Edited by Landsnark
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Landsnark said:

Clearly, Joe is one of those married woman who just want it so badly from any celebrity and he doesn't mind Trump's hand up his skirt... but every single other guest on the panel won't stand up and ask what the fuck is happening here?

Yeah, I think that's the tinkle/trickle down-effect of the scramble for the spotlight. Joe worms his way to some kind of visibility and 'cred' and then the panelists either worm into visibility via Joe by kissing his ring or he shouts them down as a step up for more visibility.

It doesn't look good on anyone. Nobody looks good crushed in a desperate climb for attention and two seconds of camera fucking.

But hey, at least I think Joe and Mika know their worth and who they depend on to hand it out.

• Love 3

WTF was going on with Joe talking about how great Tucker Carlson was doing in his time slot, then throwing shade at Gretchen?  I guess the booth yelled in his ear and he acknowledged that Rachel is great.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Drumpf1737 said:

I know, right?  Somehow that little fact never seems to quite make it into Joe Blow's "Obama was aloof" narrative.  

At what point does one keep getting shunned because...racism?...before he throws his hands up and says, "Fuck 'em!" and keeps it moving?  Especially when those same people vowed to do everything in their power to obstruct your agenda.

And, I don't expect a lot of truth coming from the talking heads at MSNBC before the 8 p.m. hour.  Joe and Meek-a sold their souls a long time ago; it's only a matter of time before the devil throws them back.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Landsnark said:

Will Mika exhibit the same outrage over Donald Trump using an unsecured cell phone, his old phone is the one he uses currently, as she did over Hillary Clinton's email server?

If the phone is indeed unsecured AND he's using it for sensitive conversations, that's a problem (yapping stupidly to a reporter about dumb things doesn't count). But these are apples and oranges. Emails are public records and subject to FOIA and the National Archives Act. Phone conversations aren't. A reasonable person can find both practices disgusting. 

• Love 1

Guys, if it's not on the show do not talk about it here.  That includes discussions about email servers, cell phones, AND speculation of what the hosts should be talking about as a way to circumvent the no general politics rule. 

This could not have made me happier.  

MSNBC Viewers Dump Morning Joe As Scarborough Is Lowest Rated Cable Morning News Show

From PoliticusUSA.  

MSNBC viewers have spoken loudly as Morning Joe’s ratings continue to slide. The conservative talker is now the lowest rated morning show on cable news.  

One statistic from TVNewser tells the story of Morning Joe’s decline, “Last year, “Morning Joe” was ranked #28 of all cable news shows in the demo. This January it is #47, and in fourth place in the demo behind “Fox & Friends,” “New Day,” and ‘Morning Express.'” The numbers for Joe Scarborough’s show have fallen apart. “On weekday mornings, CNN’s New Day registered its highest ratings ever in January and posted its largest monthly share of the cable news morning audience since 2009. The program also easily beat MSNBC’s Morning Joe, topping Joe for four straight months in total viewers and seven consecutive months among A25-54. Fox and Friends posted its lowest delivery since 2001.”

[more at link]

http://www.politicususa.com/2015/01/27/msnbc-viewers-dump-morning-joe-scarborough-lowest-rated-cable-morning-news-show.html

And Cokie Roberts spent years on panels with one of the biggest all-time interrupting know-it-alls, the one and only Sam Donaldson.  Compared to Donaldson, Joey Scab is a rank amateur.  No matter how much Joe tried to pull his usual bullshit this morning, Cokie was able to get her points across.  

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, navelgazer said:

This could not have made me happier.  

And Cokie Roberts spent years on panels with one of the biggest all-time interrupting know-it-alls, the one and only Sam Donaldson.  Compared to Donaldson, Joey Scab is a rank amateur.  No matter how much Joe tried to pull his usual bullshit this morning, Cokie was able to get her points across.  

This article was from 2 years ago. 

Evan McMullin (former CIA agent, Mormon and excellent Trump critic who ran against him in Utah) announced today he started his own 501c.  He's made a commercial linking Trump to Putin and raising questions about connections during the campaign.

The thing is that he's only running it on MJ--in NY and Washington--because he knows that's a program that Trump will watch. Supposedly will run for two weeks. I don't live in either city, but will be interested if anyone here sees it--and if Trump does and (inevitably) responds (therein probably helping MJ's declining ratings.)

Personally, I'd like to see Ali Velshi, Kate Snow and either Roberts or Melber take over the MJ slot. I tried again this a.m. because there was a guest I wanted to see, but Joe and Mika are still unwatchable to me. I might tune in for McMullin's commercial, though, especially after its run for a couple of days. He's very articulate, if they have him on. 

Thursday recap. Mika is wearing a new scarf with Stars and Stripes. They are both wearing navy tops. Everyone is sad that Mary Tyler Moore died.

Joe is happy that Trump only sleeps 4 hours a day.

Joe is happy that Trump is signing many executive orders. He is moving much faster than Bush.

Warren is facing pushback from her fans for voting for Ben Carson.

joe said his twitter feed is exploding with angry liberals

harold ford was excited about blue dog Democrats getting invited to the White House to work with Trump

Joe bragged that he got Elijah Cummings to talk to president trump

• Love 1

I love Mary Tyler Moore.

Her passing has saddened me.

She deserves recognition.

Why are they discussing her twice this morning when there's way too much to discuss?  This is not a slow news day.

• Love 1

The UK ambassador, was he awake?  It was hard to tell he was dull and boring.  However, I was glad when he mumble about Brexit and the US elections being two different things.

Should the dems be pissed that they can't get a world leader to come pow wow with them?  I wish they'd invite the president of Mexico.

Joe is excited about the daily barrage of executive orders.  I don't know about this and I find it troubling because at some point trump's going to have to work with congress.  When does that start? 

And please, MSNBC, would be be totally impossible to get a real, legitimate African American(s) man or woman (how about a more than one) person on this show.  I don't want to see Harold Ford or Eddie ever again.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, stormy said:

Joe is excited about the daily barrage of executive orders.  I don't know about this and I find it troubling because at some point trump's going to have to work with congress.  When does that start? 

He can get some stuff done, but they're mostly masturbatory in nature.  A lot of the orders he signed require action from Congress.

Edited by revbfc
  • Love 5
26 minutes ago, revbfc said:

He can get some stuff done, but they're mostly masturbatory in nature.  A lot of the orders he signed require action from Congress.

His supporters won't know or understand this. All they see is that he's "keeping his promises and getting stuff done."

Halperin was right (for once) about these being "checklist moments."

I did lol when Willie said that Ted Baxter was a predecessor for Ron Burgundy. Hmm, where else have we seen a blowhard no-it-all doofus?

Mike Barnicle said that they could run MTM today and it would be a huge hit. Uh, if they could get it on what with the Focus on the Family types clutching their pearls that Mary was on the Pill (and joked about it.)

And to Joe's point that MTM worked for the coasts and "central time zones." This was before the divisive "us versus them" political posturing had really kicked in (begun with Nixon and his "Silent Majority", but really kicked into gear by Reagan.) 

Edited by Mumbles