Type keyword(s) to search

OG or Why Did You Start Watching?

• Start Topic

I'm curious what everyone's motivations were originally for watching TWD - one thing I've noticed looking around the Interwebs is that the show seems to have a very diverse audience.

I wasn't aware of the source material but was watching 'Wuthering Heights' with Andrew Lincoln and was interested in what else he'd been up to. I never thought I'd watch a 'zombie show' but have become alarmingly immune to the gore.

I'm curious what everyone's motivations were originally for watching TWD - one thing I've noticed looking around the Interwebs is that the show seems to have a very diverse audience.

Well, I'm a shameless sucker for prestige tv and also the zeitgeist, so if the "right people" are watching something, I'll watch it too.  I thought the first season was promising, and I was more or less with the show in fits and starts through the destruction of the CDC.  But then I became really disenchanted with it not long after that when we were spinning our wheels forever at the farm house, and soon I was hate-watching.  I reeeeeeally loved the piss-your-pants-funny recaps that Videogum used to do just tearing the show apart.  That guy and I were simpatico.  I do think this show has been vastly overrated by critics through much of its run.  Good production values will go a long way to convincing people that lipstick makes that pig pretty.  But just in this last half season I've found finally more attention to plot and characterization [at least to my taste] and as I kind of came out to a friend recently, "I'm sort of watching it legitimately now."  Heh.  Either way, love it or hate it, I'll probably watch it to the bitter end.

Funny thing I was filling out a tv veiwing survey and said I watch mostly Drama, Crime Drama and Dramedy(who knew that was a word) just to find I actually watch a lot of Sci-Fi. Who knew Revolution, the Following and TWD were Sci-Fi. I always think of alien and outerspace shows as Sci-fi

I would never lump myself into liking Sci-Fi so I guess I'm one of those "diverse" viewers. I started watching real time season 3 after catching up on Netflix. Hubby's friends told us about it and he watched a couple shows out of order so we dove in.

When it premiered, AMC's other shows had been Mad Men, Breaking Bad, and Rubicon – two of the best shows of the past decade and one really solid show – so at that point my friends and I at least thought AMC automatically meant it was great. The pilot held up to that, so I was totally in, even though I didn't really like the rest of the first season that much (and then The Killing completely disabused me of that notion).

• Love 1

I really hadn't heard of it but saw the freaky icon for the recaps on twop. I did some reading and found out it was getting good reviews so we started watching it. First line of the show, I knew they had to be in Georgia, where I've lived all my life. Then Rick was downtown near where I went to college. That grabbed me, and I tend to enjoy apocalyptic storylines (ala The Stand). I was hooked, and I love the show. I defend its dumb moments to my husband and somehow love the show more for having done so. Ha. I also have since read the comics and enjoy them as well.

• Love 2

I too like (some) apocalyptic storylines, and survival logic stories ( I loved Jericho, and the Anthony Hopkins movie The Edge). Managing not to be killed by ravenous grizzly bears, flesh-eating corpses, or just the Federal government, it's all good.

• Love 3
(edited)

Back during the (seemingly interminable) winter hiatus, I got myself polar vortexed. Didn't even put on pants for like 5 days. High five! Fortunately, all my utilities came through it like a champ, but the ole DVR was empty and nothing much new was airing. To the Netflix!

I've never been a zombie guy, a horror flick guy, definitely not a comics guy. So I never had the slightest interest in watching The Walking Dead, despite several signs that I probably ought to go ahead and give it a shot. Namely:

1. As mentioned by Dougal, AMC has built up an awful lot of cred with me via Breaking Bad and Rubicon. (Edited to add: I also greatly enjoyed the much-maligned Low Winter Sun. Lennie James, bitches!)
2. At this point, if Chris Hardwick is hosting an aftershow, that's pretty much automatic POINTS!!! in the show's favor.
3. A couple of friends had mentioned that "It's not what you'd expect from zombie fare. There's a significant LOST element to what they've got going on." Which always piques my interest and causes me to reflexively raise my left eyebrow, even though usually when people say that, they're so very wrong. In this case though, I came to understand what they meant by that, and I agree.

I was hooked about 10 minutes into the pilot, and never looked back. As is so often the case, I feel fortunate to have been able to binge watch the first time through. I suspect it helped greatly. Having followed along with the episode threads over at TWoP (and the TWD thread at a non-TV message board I frequent) as I watched, I found myself being far less annoyed by some of the slower parts and other things that apparently annoyed the living crap out of legions of people who were watching as it originally aired. I credit binge watching for that, because in reading the comments, I frequently found myself saying "Yeah, that would have bothered me too if I'd had to wait a week (or 6-8 months) to move on from it, and I know that's true because LOST."

Got myself all caught up over those 5 days, and now I'm experiencing all the angst and frustration and excruciating anticipation of the rest of the as-it-airs crew. Fortunately for me, I'm living vicariously through a couple friends I convinced to follow in my footsteps, and are currently early in season 2. With it all still relatively fresh in my mind due to my only having walked that path just a few weeks ago, their emails and texts and the face to face conversations are especially gratifying. "So you guys finally met Herschel, eh? How about THAT guy?" Good times. Good times.

Edited by Uncle Benzene
  • Love 3

Ballet class.

Oh, I love post-apocalyptic stuff - "The Stand" is one of my favorite books ever- and anything based off of comic books gets an extra gold star - another book favorite is "The Death and Life of Superman" novelization of the multi-comic arc from the 90s. That said, I am simply not an early-adopter of TV shows. I hate investing in shows that get cancelled early or especially end with absolutely no resolutions. I also hate waiting until October (grr). So I'm more of a "let's give it a few seasons and then binge a few seasons on Netflix" kind of girl. Hey, it worked for "Arrested Development" for me.

But this year my kid has ballet with a friend's daughter, next to a wings & pizza place, during happy hour. So that leaves the two of us an hour and a half to enjoy cheap beer and pizza and discuss life. And, since it's on Mondays, TWD. Of course, I didn't watch at the beginning of the year, but she knew I was into "that stuff" if not that show - yet- and kept telling me things because she wanted to talk about it. 

So, after hearing "well, I know you are going to watch, so I don't want to give too much away, but

" too many weeks, I just decided I needed to turn on a lot of lights and make it past the shooting of the creepy zombie child (which, topic for another thread, picking up the rabbit *still* bothers me... bothers me even more, really!).

• Love 3

Karate Kate, another huge fan of The Stand here, it's the one book I can read over and over.  For TWD, I saw the previews and I figured that since I <3 post-apocalyptic fiction, this was must-see-tv for me and it far surpassed my expectations.

• Love 3

I bought into the hype and tried watching the first episode but was kind of bored with the show. Then I went to Universal Studios Hollywood Horror Nights where they were promoting the heck out of season 3 and the trailers and ads and walkthroughs everywhere made me reconsider the show. The prison was better, but it slowly went back to being slow and annoying (I didn't like anyone left except Hershel and Daryl).

Then someone in my household had the show on during the last part of this season and it was the episode "Still." I LOVED that it wasn't centered on Rick drama and it was quite refreshing, so I gave the whole season a rewatch and it was very, very good so I'll be back for Season 5. Scott Gimple sure knows what he's doing with this show.

Well, my teenage son had been watching it in the first season, and I caught a bit of it here and there, and thought this is not appropriate for a 14yo!!  He tried to convince me it was about survival, not zombies, that I would like it, etc.  So, I decided to watch it during some marathon they were having over the summer, you know, to judge it as a parent (negatively) and omg.  I was hooked!!  lol! He was pretty much, I told you so. 

So by season 2, I was all in.  I love it even when it's exasperating. It's great fun to talk about, and a great bond with my son.  We have some great conversations about the moral dilemmas as well as just the fun stuff like "weapon of choice."  lol  We even went to the theater to see the Paleyfest panel of the cast.  The family that watches zombies together, stays together!

• Love 6

It was definitely the AMC effect that first drew us to the show: my husband and I were already satisfied consumers of Breaking Bad and Mad Men when TWD came out. We've been loyal and obsessive viewers since episode 1. Our adult kids are not nearly as into it as we are--I'm always surprised when they'll talk casually about missing an episode--but on a fairly regular basis one or both of the local kids, plus their SOs, come over Sunday night and watch with us. Love that family time!

I'm a late adopter in general (I like waiting until series are done being written to start reading due to something I will call The Clan of the Cave Bear effect), so the AMC cache is going the other way with me - now that I'm hooked on TWD, I'm planning on taking the season break to hunker down with Breaking Bad. Maybe Mad Men, but I can't handle too many "active" shows at once. 

(edited)

It was definitely the AMC effect that first drew us to the show: my husband and I were already satisfied consumers of Breaking Bad and Mad Men when TWD came out. We've been loyal and obsessive viewers since episode 1.

Been watching since Episode 1 for the same reason.

I guess that means I'm OG, or perhaps OZ.

But the AMC effect is now dead after The Killing & Low Winter Sun, so it's a good thing Walking Dead came first.

Edited by Constantinople
  • Love 3
(edited)

I am a Giraffe so I oringinally heard about it on there as people were discussing the mid season finale of season 2. I was in college then and started catching up online in time for the mid-season premiere. I happened to find out one of my friends watched it and so we watched it together. It grew into a big deal and soon we were having particies at her apartment every week for the viewing and a nice discussion.

I'll add I would've started watching it ages ago, but I love "28 Days Later". Another friend told me the first episode was like the opening to 28DL and I wasn't sure I could handle a show that would be that intense all the time. Thankfully (or maybe not), it isn't, so I watch with satisfaction. (Most of the time.)

ETA: Apocalyptic tv shows, movies, books are my jam. I love it so much. My favorite parts are the different ways creators reinvent society and what it means to be human after the end. I guess that's why I stuck around.

Edited by SpaghettiTuesdays
  • Love 2

Oh, I love post-apocalyptic stuff - "The Stand" is one of my favorite books ever

Completely -- me too! Plus, this:

I love "28 Days Later".

Plus this:

my husband and I were already satisfied consumers of Breaking Bad and Mad Men when TWD came out.

Plus, the fact that I had recently read and loved World War Z by Max Brooks, and many members of my family are "zombie people."  So I tried the pilot episode, loved it, tried the rest -- didn't love it, but I hung with it.  I wanted to love it but felt it never quite lived up to the pilot, but still liked it, and it had great moments if not great episodes.  Stuck with it, and am glad I did, I thought this season was very good. 

I seek out good sci fi and fantasy series for pleasure and for the escapism from work, and since I am perpetually tired after having kids, I need action so I don't fall asleep.  In other words, I escape into TV shows so I can stop worrying about work and get to sleep, but if they are too slow or about more mundane, real world things I am liable to fall asleep (only to awaken in the middle of the night unable to get back to sleep) or lose interest.  To maintain my interest and help me unwind, I want to find shows that feature engaging people having serious, gripping problems worth worrying about, but yet that are also problems that I will never have.  The Walking Dead fit the bill perfectly.

• Love 3
(edited)

My 17 yr old son got me into the show. He had watched the first few seasons and kept trying to convince me that I should watch, but I didn't really care too much about zombie shows. He kept insisting that the show was more character-based and less about zombies and one night out of boredom, I caved and gave it a try. Needless to say, I watched the entire first season all in one sitting. I became hooked instantly and couldn't wait to watch Season 2. What followed where marathon sessions until I got caught up to the live show. 

I am proud now, because I got my older sister and parents watching it too! :)

Edited by dreamwriter31
  • Love 1

Funny that this topic came up, I was telling my daughter the other day that I watched ep1season1 the first time it aired, I just happened to catch it, and was intrigued, and never missed and episode since, seeing almost all of them in real time.

She said "mom, you are such a Hipster" in a disdainful teen tone of voice "Why ? Am I a Hipster ?" I asked with curiosity, unsure if I should be flattered or insulted. She replied "Because you are all like 'I was an original, I was a fan before it was trendy and cool"

So, I guess I am a hipster, I suppose there is a plate waiting for me at Terminus.

• Love 2
(edited)

I didn't watch the first season when it aired, since I have generally never been a fan of zombie movies or shows.  I watch mostly dramas and sci-fi.  I am also a hug Stephen King fan - The Stand was the first book of his I read.

When AMC did a marathon of the first season I decided it to give it a try, mostly because I had heard so many good things about it.  I was hooked in the first 5 minutes, and have never looked back.  I do have to pause the show sometimes to catch my breath, especially when they kill a character I care about.

Edited by Kayleigh1717
  • Love 1

Yeah the first 5 minutes of the pilot episode is what hooked me. That conversation between Rick and Shane, about Shane's girlfriend and the lights had me laughing so hard. Because it sounded so much like a real conversation. I have not laughed much since that opening scene. Now I spend much of time while watching TWD, saying, "that's just not right, you know that was not right"

I'm curious what everyone's motivations were originally for watching TWD

Oh, I love post-apocalyptic stuff - "The Stand" is one of my favorite books ever

Me too. I was watching something on AMC (probably Mad Men) when they started promoting TWD with the creepy commercials of Rick trapped in the dark hospital stairwell. They played it over and over again, along with the shot of the Walkers pushing their hands through the crack of the hospital doors. Those commercials reminded me so much of Stu Redman's escape from the hospital in "The Stand" that I knew I had to watch TWD when it premiered (I think it was on Halloween).

I was hooked with the first episode. Loved the opening scene of Rick and walker child. I haven't always loved the show (season 2 on the farm dragged on too long), but I've watched all 4 seasons loyally. Knowing AMC's pedigree I knew TWD would have a higher production quality and could do things that couldn't be done on network tv. I can't imagine enjoying this show as much if it were on ABC or NBC.

Before watching the first episode I wasn't even sure it was a Zombie show. I hadn't paid much attention to the media coverage of it, so it was nice to go in with no expectations. After the first season though, I sought out spoilers and haven't looked back. But it was nice to watch the first few episodes not knowing who was going to die.

• Love 3

I was stuck at home with strep throat when the marathon of Season One was playing.  I didn't know anything about the tv show or comics prior to that.  I've been watching ever since then.

• Love 1

I've been a long time fan of all things horror, especially zombies. So when I initially heard about this show I was a bit skeptical. I'm kind of old school, so I rolled my eyes and scoffed a bit at the idea of television series about zombies. I just anticipated it being all kinds of cheesy. 

I think it was somewhere in the second year that I had a couple of friends insisting that I needed to watch it, that it was really good. However, my husband was overseas at the time and I didn't want to watch it without him. I actually mostly watch reality shows (no one laugh), and the dramas that I do watch I watch with him (Game of Thrones, Vikings, etc.). 

So once he was home and settled I brought it up, but now HE was the one kind of scoffing at the idea. This went on for awhile, and we had other shows going. Finally one night he was bored and there was a TWD marathon on AMC. He watched like 10 minutes of it, I can't even recall what episode it was, and said - "hey, this actually looks pretty cool". I yelled, "stop right there! We will start from the beginning". So he changed the channel and I set up the Netflix. 

We binge watched the first three seasons over last summer and season four is the first one I've watched as it airs. Suffice it to say, I have become a die hard fan. I love this show like no other. It combines the horror that I love while exploring some really interesting ideas on post-apocalyptic behavior and society. I have become so attached to these people, I care about them and what happens to them. Ironically, the zombies are not as interesting to me as the greater story of survival - at what cost? 

• Love 2
I'm a late adopter in general (I like waiting until series are done being written to start reading due to something I will call The Clan of the Cave Bear effect), so the AMC cache is going the other way with me - now that I'm hooked on TWD, I'm planning on taking the season break to hunker down with Breaking Bad. Maybe Mad Men, but I can't handle too many "active" shows at once.

Wow. So much like us. We waited until Sopranos was in it's last season before we started watching it. We waited until Dexter was like 4-5 seasons in. This is really the first year we are watching shows live as they air. I just love this show so much, there's no way I could wait until it came out on Netflix, although it can be more enjoyable to watch 4 episodes in a row. And,I'm also late to the Breaking Bad Party. I just started watching that this weekend and plan to let that consume my time until October as well. Too funny!

• Love 2
(edited)

I could take or leave zombies, so what hooked me initially was the AMC promos. Those ads with Rick riding all alone on that horse to Atlanta, while the cars on the other side of the interstate were piled up and abandoned, and the Walker Brothers "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore" played in the background...haunting and unforgettable images. I was hooked before I even watched the premiere. By the end of the pilot with the horse going down and Rick in the tank in a seemingly hopeless situation I was in love with the show. 

I'm planning on taking the season break to hunker down with Breaking Bad. Maybe Mad Men

I envy you all the good television watching you have ahead of you. There's nothing better than finding a show you love that's already been around for several seasons and that you know ended or will end on its own terms.  

Edited by bentley
  • Love 2

I'd never heard of the source material but am general down for anything post-apocalyptic, zombies in particular.  So I heard there was a zombie series coming to tv and was all over that.  I've never seen zombies on TV other than short miniseries.  Then I saw that pre season one trailer and I was hooked.  That thing still gives me goosebumps. 

• Love 2

This show had so many things I love horror, a post-apocalyptic world and a love triangle. I know, I know, but I am a sucker for a love triangle. I liked the initial struggle between Rick and Shane before Shane went off the deep end. But, I'd have to say the number one reason was the zombies. I've been watching horror movies since I was much, much too young and zombie flicks were always my favorites. 

• Love 1

I didn't think I'd ever be into zombies except for shooting them in an arcade game (OK, I'm old) but, like many others here, The Stand is one of my favorite books. Can't even count how many times I've read it. Didn't watch S1 but couldn't help hearing the buzz about it, caught a marathon, laid eyes on Daryl, loved the special effects and the dimension of the story and the characters, and I was IN! I've got my eyes on two hunks of rebar stuck in the ground (for some reason) at the Artic Circle drive-thru down the street, one is shorter/one is longer. Perfect sizes for me and my shorter sister. First hint of a ZA and that rebar is mine, erm, ours. I'm always doing something to improve my home so I go to Lowe's/Home Depot a lot and half my time there is spent evaluating various must-have ZA supplies and implements of destruction.

• Love 2

Mr. eejm and I hadn't watched a show together for awhile, so we decided to pick one.  Out of Breaking Bad, True Detective, and Walking Dead, we decided we'd start with Walking Dead.  I'm not a huge fan of zombie flicks, so I didn't know how or if I'd like it, but I really enjoy the fact that the focus isn't on gore or scare, but on plot and character development.  We watched most of the series in about two weeks and can't wait until season 5.

I never watched until the past year, and I started to fill the void left for me by Breaking Bad coming to an end. I watched all the prior seasons on Netflix and then started watching the past 2 seasons live.

I'm a little late to the party; but I started because Bear McCreary writes the score. I've been following his blog since the early BSG days and one day he had a "big announcement" with a video from ComicCon. It was for this cool comic book show about zombies. I did enjoy the Dawn of the Dead remake, although I'm not big on gratuitous gore, but figured 'why not?'.  Like many people, I was hooked by the end of the first episode. Needless to say my gore tolerance has grown since then.

(edited)

I can't really remember why I started watching, but I think I remember seeing a sneak peak of the pilot and thought "Holy crap!" this looks awesome and that it was from Frank Darabont which I figured would be high quality.  And man the pilot did not disappoint.  Eventually, I became all about Rick Grimes and I still am.  

Edited by catrox14

I have an irrational deep-seated fear of zombies.  I think it started when I was really young and made the mistake of watching The Night of the Living Dead (that scary black and white original movie) late at night.

Very little scares me in real life except heights and zombies, even though one of those fears is valid and the other is absurd.

I saw the original Dawn of the Dead and it scared me.

Then I saw the James Gunn remake of Dawn of the Dead and once he enabled those bastards to run like Olympian-caliber athletes, my previous state of finding them scary leapt up to DefCon proportions.  I had nightmares for at least a week and yet continue to torture myself by watching it every single time it's on.  Because I'm a freak like that.  

When I heard about The Walking Dead and that it was a realistic portrayal at surviving an apocalypse (in this case zombie apocalypse), I was in.  In for a penny, in for a pound.

I'll watch it until it reaches it's conclusion to face my big fear every week.  Also, full disclosure, to snark on Carl.  I despise that kid's character with the fire of 1000 suns.  My biggest hope last season was that he would slide off of that roof right into a pack of hungry zombies, with only the sharp lid of his pudding can to protect himself.

I don't hate all kids, really I don't.  Hell, I have one.  I just hate Carl.  And I've really no clue why, I just roll with it.  

• Love 2

OK, I'm woman enough to admit I started watching in a lame attempt to stay connected with my girlfiend/SIL/mother of nieces, a woman I love, but have less in common with now that the girls are grown.  One look and I was hooked; I've never watched zombie, or even horror genres, but was desensitized by True Blood, and love conquers almost all.  My first true love is post apocalyptic stories (cut my eye teeth on "The Stand"), so I was an easy mark.  Funny thing - we never really bonded about this show, but I found a whole bunch of other people to obsess with.   :-)

Persnickety1 - that totally irrational Carl hate?  I get it.  It must be the hat.  I hate myself for saying that about a kid, so I choose to believe he's an awesome actor who is trying to annoy me with his dumb cow eyes and his Stupid. Fucking. Hat.  :-)

• Love 3
(edited)

Persnickety1 - that totally irrational Carl hate?  I get it.  It must be the hat.  I hate myself for saying that about a kid, so I choose to believe he's an awesome actor who is trying to annoy me with his dumb cow eyes and his Stupid. Fucking. Hat.  :-)

Maybe we'll get lucky this season and someone will tell him to look at the pretty, pretty flowers.  

While he's wearing the hat, of course.  

Edited by Persnickety1
  • Love 2

I enjoy going to the casino and they have a slot game based on The Walking Dead series.   Based on that and hearing positive comments from a slot forum I follow on the show itself made me marathon the first three seasons on Netflix last weekend.   *OT* I wish I had seen it while TWoP was still running.   I thought they would archive the old forums...didn't think they'd disable it permanently.  

I just like zombies.  Always have, even the cheesiest of cheesy zombie film/show/book.  I eat that shit up like it's brains.  I have a zombie alert on my newsfeed just so I know when new zombie stuff is coming out.  

• Love 2

I have a zombie alert on my newsfeed just so I know when new zombie stuff is coming out.

Or in the event of the much heralded Zombie Apocalypse?

Damn, now I'm thinking I should set up a Google alert for keyword zombie (not that I believe in a ZA but, you know, "just in case").  

• Love 2

I didn't have any interest in this show before I watched it. I was staying with a friend. They had the first season set up on the computer and viewable for watching on the television. I figured why not watch it? I found zombie movies interesting. I was hooked after the first episode. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Strangly enough, part of me watching was because I recognized Sarah Wayne Callies' name! I KNOW. I liked her in Prison Break, what can I say? But I also saw commericals for TWD and the idea of an apocalyptic world (with zombies!) just had an awesome ring to it, despite the idea of apocalyptic anything scaring the hell out of me plus I was a total zombie virgin. I hadn't heard of TWD either, since I don't read comics. I didn't sleep so well after watching the first few episodes (I also blamed pregnancy on that), but I certainly was captivated. Watching certain scenes through my fingers, but captivated nonetheless. Funny how quick we can become desensitized though. Now a lame guy with glasses gets his eyeballs eaten? Awesome.

Edited by dannymoon

I actually started watching due to insomnia. Rosiedad works nights and decided to catch a few episodes of season 1 On Demand on a night off. The only TV we had with the cable box was in our bedroom, so I got to listen to the episodes while holding a pillow over my eyes and trying to fall asleep. By "Tell it to the Frogs", I decided to throw in the towel and watch the rest of the season with him. After that, I was hooked.

• Love 1

Oddly, my boyfriend (before he was my boyfriend) got me hooked on this show.  I mean, I had never even heard of it (yes, I must have been living under a rock for the last 4 years).  He got me to watch the premier of the 2nd half of this season and I was completely hooked.  Watched a marathon of the early part of the season and, by that time said guy was my boyfriend so I bullied him into giving me his Netflix password so I could catch up on early seasons.  :)

My son and I were planning our Halloween 2010 plans and he told me there was a new show about zombies that started that night. They film in and around the town my best friend lives in so I had heard some rumblings about it, so I decided to check it out. OMG. Best decision ever! I have been hooked ever since.

• Love 1
(edited)

My husband and 11 yr old son started watching this 'zombie nonsense' as I called it...and as the kitchen is off the family room I was forced to hear the show while I cleaned/cooked etc. This scenario of me overhearing the show and dismissing it as monster stuff went on as they watched the entire first season, and the second. I continued to insist it was silly stuff I don't like, whenever my husband would insist I watch, and told me how much I would love it. I'm stubborn that way. Anyway, eventually, I found myself loitering in my own kitchen, eavesdropping on this 'zombie nonsense' long after I'd finished my tidying. You know, wiping down a cupboard door for the third time so it didn't look like I was watching, which I totally was, but didn't want my hubby to know (see: stubborn).  I was still resistant to actually sitting down and watching it, but started saying things to hubby like 'I just want to see this part...I don't like it....you know I hate these shows...just this part here...'.  

Then Shane threw open the barn door and decimated the walkers, and Herschel crumbled to the ground, and Carole saw her zombified baby girl, and Beth ran to her Mama's zombie body, and her Mama tried to eat her.

That scene was so powerful to me...like MASH powerful...and I was hooked.

At my age, I thought I knew myself, and was certain zombie stuff was not my bag. Liking this show came as a huge surprise to me, but not to my husband, much to my chagrin. Every time we sit down to watch now, he will say something like 'good thing you finally listened to me, eh?'  Most annoying, but I allow him his gloat, because this time, he was right.

Edited by JustAlison
  • Love 1

I was at my folk's over the holidays watching my favorite show--a TWD marathon--and my 75 year-old mother was in the kitchen fixing a meal...she comes out saying "what are you watching?! That's horrible, it's disgusting! I don't know how people can put a show like that on the air!" About 15 minutes later she comes out and looks at the screen, shakes her head and goes back in the kitchen.

By the end of the hour she was standing behind my chair watching and just darting into the kitchen to stir during a break.

Then she announces we will all eat in the living room. Just because.

Within 3 hours she is seated in a chair watching and asking me questions.

Then during the breaks she is calling all her 70+year old friends telling them to quick turn on the TV to AMC and watch this show "It's really good . It's not about the zombies it's about the people!" (:-D)

At eleven o'clock at night she's still watching and all her friends are calling at every break: "OH did you SEE that?! OH what's going to happen to them next? OOOH I like that Daryl person, not very clean but his heart is in the right place..."

I didn't say a word.

• Love 4

One of my favorite movies is 28 Days Later, so when I saw the ads for the show, with Rick in the abandoned hospital, I labeled it a ripoff and decided I must watch in order to fume and snark. Little did I know I'd get hooked, and not long after start reading the comics, too.

We were going on a trip and I wanted us to find a new fix.  I had heard a lot of good things and we loved Breaking Bad.  My husband is not a fantasy/sci fi fan (I know, RIGHT?!) but we were both hooked after one episode.  Now if I could just get him to give Star Wars a fair shake.  ;)

(edited)

I'm a total newb.  I watched it all during 4th of July weekend during the Dead, White, and Blue marathon.  My 130 pound baby (dog) decided he was terrified of fireworks this year so we stayed in most of the weekend.

I wanted to watch it when it originally came out as it seemed like something I'd like, but my Mom was very ill with cancer and a show about death and all that wasn't something I needed to see at that time.  I kept thinking I'd catch up after season 2 and 3 aired but never got around to it.  My sister told me about the marathon, we had a huge dog trying to escape the house whenever he was alone and there were fireworks, so the stars aligned for me to finally see the show.

It is probably a good thing that I binge watched it, because there are points in the show when it got real slow or stuff and thangs were drawn out for to long that my ADHD would have kicked in and I would have stopped watching.

What does OG mean?

Edited by kj4ever
  • Love 1