Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk

• Start Topic

OK.  I am clearly slipping.  After repeatedly proclaiming here that I'd sworn off regularly watching the show, I had to watch yesterday's episode, after what I read here. 

I would actually eat that Italian salad ... if ... A) It had an entirely different dressing, like a vinaigrette; B) It was served with a different soup, like an Italian wedding soup; C) Ditch the quiche and just have crusty Italian bread and D) If the dessert was the one where you have a cup of espresso with a scoop of vanilla gelato. 

That fruity gazpacho looked terrible and again, it was Ree adding more and more of anything green that she could get her hands on. How about lime  I didn't notice if she added a jalapeno (probably did) and where was the zucchini, parsley and cilantro? Lime Jell-O, pistachios and kiwi?

The quiche and pie were just ordinary and I think Ree's made both on the show before.

I guarantee that Ladd didn't eat a single bite of anything. Odds are that after they were finished working that he and Paige jumped in the pickup and headed into town to McDonald's or the coveted Chinese drive-thru.

I see the surliness of her younger brothers has rubbed off on Paige. She's probably sick to death of listening to her mother weep over the pending move away to college. Paige is probably counting the days. 

• Love 5
On 9/23/2018 at 4:36 AM, Mandolia said:

To use the title of the 1980's book: "real men don't eat quiche".  (I suppose you could just about get away with it by calling a quiche Lorraine An Egg & Bacon Pie - with the addition of onions, several cloves of garlic, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, chipolte (sp?) peppers and a whole buncha cumin, turmeric, garlic powder, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce.)  Plus copious quantities of cheese (multiple types) and a great dollop of heavy cream. 

My mother used to call quiche an egg pie.

Those Lonestar Fries looked like gack -- that sauce she poured over the top reminded of... nevermind.   I did perk up at that cake, as I love mandarin oranges and it looked fruity and light for a summer meal.  I put that in my memory bank for the future.

On another note, Paige (that was Paige, right?) is a giant!

Edited by patty1h
On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 2:49 PM, LillyB said:

Today she explained her hair color. Her favorite color is orange and hence her hair.

Is that the issue with her hair color?

Can branded orange canning jar lids, sauté pans, aprons, and all the other merchandise froofra be far behind? She'll be as bad as Rachael Ray.

<shudder>

• Love 1

I saw the Lonestar Fries episode.  The fries?  Fine.  I would even hazard a go at the first topping, on the side.  Adding Guacamole?  No, just no.

Every time I turn on FN channel there she is, at all hours.  Is she dying or something?  Is she leaving the network?

I was sorry to hear about Lad's mom.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, jumper sage said:

Is she leaving the network?

If only.

She's not going anywhere as long as there a is a buck to be made.  And her sheeple would have melt downs without her guiding wisdom and deelish, down home buncha cookin'.

• Love 4

I wasn't impressed with "P-Town."  It just looked like your average run-of-the-mill pizza joint.

Not Knots? Seriously? The last thing I'd want on top of a Caesar salad is a fried ball of dough.  Especially is the salad was swimming is dressing with a (un)healthy dose of mayo.

What puzzles me is that couldn't have been cheap to renovate that place, plus buy the pizza over from Italy, pay the consultants/chefs to get it up and running. I don't know the population of Pawhuska and surrounding areas, but I just can't see how there would be enough business to support all of these pop-up ventures.

Maybe the end game is to rename Pawhuska as  D-Town?

• Love 2

Ugh, did Ree write the descriptions for the menu items? 1.) She’s a terrible writer. 2.) Nobody needs a blog post; just say what the item consists of and that’s it.

I’m amazed at how a rancher family just cannot cook beef. I’m watching the goodbye dinner for Paige and Caleb episode and those ribeyes look grey and sad despite being on the grill. No browning, no crust, not even grill marks. If you’re going to go with the butter route with steaks, why not butter-baste them in a cast-iron skillet? I enjoy cooking steak (especially ribeye) by sous-vide and then searing/butter-basting them in the cast iron. Perfectly cooked, I get that nice crust on the steak, and great flavor from the garlic and herbs with the butter.

Also, hi everybody! I just returned from Hong Kong and I wish I were still there!

• Love 5

Hi, Automne. Welcome back!  Did you have any interesting food in Hong Kong?

I watched the going away episode, too. I see that the family tradition of ruining perfectly good steaks with gross seasonings extends to Ladd's brother. I sure hope that the garlic salt wasn't in addition to the seasoning salt. Lemon pepper is bad enough.  I bought some lemon pepper seasoning once out of curiosity and that stuff's terrible.

I see it was another opportunity for Ree to trot out the heart attack mashed potatoes. I still don't understand adding cream cheese. I'd think that would just make the texture gummy as the potatoes cooled down.  They looked pretty running when Ree transferred them into the serving dish.

Also, everybody I have seen make a trifle (e.g. Nigella and Ina) have always spread jam or sprinkled liqueur on the pieces of cake first.  And another suck-up to Chuck by using his grandmother's recipe for the cake.

Paige's hair along with her overly dark eyebrows make her look hard and angry. She is way too sweet of a girl to sport a look like that. 

• Love 4

The food was great in Hong Kong! I finally got to try xiong long bao (soup dumplings), had rice noodle rolls (they had this peanut sauce and adding hoisin sauce and sesame seeds (as directed by the tour guide) made it sooooo good), tried a century egg (nope), and a bunch of other Cantonese dishes. I just bought a wok and some other Chinese utensils/ingredients because now I really want to try my hand at authentic Chinese cooking. And I’ve decided Taiwan is my next big trip (goal for 2020).

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Automne said:

The food was great in Hong Kong! I finally got to try xiong long bao (soup dumplings), had rice noodle rolls (they had this peanut sauce and adding hoisin sauce and sesame seeds (as directed by the tour guide) made it sooooo good), tried a century egg (nope), and a bunch of other Cantonese dishes. I just bought a wok and some other Chinese utensils/ingredients because now I really want to try my hand at authentic Chinese cooking. And I’ve decided Taiwan is my next big trip (goal for 2020).

Am very envious of your Hong Kong trip and the food ('cept for the million year old egg!!).  Have you bought one of those bamboo steamer "basket" things as part of your venture into Chinese cooking?  Very useful, according to someone I know who's taught herself to be a dab hand at cooking all-things-Chinese from different regions.  She makes wonderful dim sum filled with minced shrimp, etc. which are to-die-for good.  I wouldn't have the patience to even try, as awfully fiddly!  (Ree has done a few stir fry dishes with an abundance of ingredients which aren't necessarily authentic...there's a surprise.)

Link below is ref a series which was shown in the UK ages ago.  It was repeated in its entirety quite recently which I watched more or less in one hit.  So interesting. 

http://www.keofilms.com/projects/exploring-china-a-culinary-adventure/

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Automne said:

I’ve found this site great for recipes, explanations of ingredients, and suggestions for cookware and utensils: The Woks of Life

Sounds like an amazing trip!

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 1

I caught today's show and was flabbergasted.

1.  Unless I am mistaken, I thought the whole point of making a panini was so the panini press would compact all of the sandwich innards together and melt the cheese. All Ree did was use the panini press to toast the bread. Since the final product was going to be cooked in the oven, what was the point? Dumb ass! Also, WTF with that sandwich spread: Mayo, lime juice and hot sauce. If I had to face that first thing in the morning, I'd barf.

2.  Almond almond Very berry croissants. What the fresh hell ... ? She made a spread of almond paste and a TABLESPOON of almond extract and an entire cup of dark rum. That even outdoes one of Aunt Sandy's sweet and boozy concoctions. When I hear a term like "very berry," I get visions of blackberries, blueberries, strawberries and raspberries. This recipe only included a small sprinkling of blueberries. 

I don't remember much about the bread pudding thing other than it included Ree's latest favorite obsession ingredient -- pesto.

Frozen yogurt bark? Why, God, why? Wouldn't it be easier (and healthier) to just use those ingredients (sans the fruit preserves) to fix yogurt parfaits?

• Love 5
On 10/20/2018 at 7:47 PM, CharlizeCat said:

I caught today's show and was flabbergasted.

1.  Unless I am mistaken, I thought the whole point of making a panini was so the panini press would compact all of the sandwich innards together and melt the cheese. All Ree did was use the panini press to toast the bread. Since the final product was going to be cooked in the oven, what was the point? Dumb ass! Also, WTF with that sandwich spread: Mayo, lime juice and hot sauce. If I had to face that first thing in the morning, I'd barf.

2.  Almond almond Very berry croissants. What the fresh hell ... ? She made a spread of almond paste and a TABLESPOON of almond extract and an entire cup of dark rum. That even outdoes one of Aunt Sandy's sweet and boozy concoctions. When I hear a term like "very berry," I get visions of blackberries, blueberries, strawberries and raspberries. This recipe only included a small sprinkling of blueberries. 

I don't remember much about the bread pudding thing other than it included Ree's latest favorite obsession ingredient -- pesto.

Frozen yogurt bark? Why, God, why? Wouldn't it be easier (and healthier) to just use those ingredients (sans the fruit preserves) to fix yogurt parfaits?

This episode was just _____   Wtf was the Panini bullshit?  How about calling it what it will really be?  A breakfast sandwich!!   I love almond inside of my crossaints, but I was gagging with her “interpretation”.  Those things were soggy as shit when she pulled them out of the oven.   

I didn’t bother to watch the bread casserole as my stomach was turning by that point.  The yogurt bark was absurd. 

• Love 1

She cooks ham. And other things. To put in panini-toasted bread. Which, if she'd put it in the bread and THEN put it in the panini press, wouldn't need cooking. (and you don't cook eggs in a panini press anyway wtf.)

She broke my brain. 

• Love 5

just popping in after a long hiatus -

last episode I caught is that she and hubby now owns  a pizza place in town ( website) . I guess they need to pay college tuition for 2 now - the 2nd daughter is incurring out of state tuition. don't remember where the 1st daughter attends.  I wonder is the plan for them to find a hubby to come back and work the ranch or go off and start their career. hmmmm.

re  - Breakfast Freezer Faves  ( link ) eposide - 

I made the mistake of looking forward to this episode b/c of cafe' issues at work, I am going to start bringing in my breakfast or at least part of it. I like a hearty breakfast.

1) Herbalicious Breakfast Casserole - I didn't know you can freeze glass 11x13 casserole dishes. I wonder why she didn't use a foil pan like she did with her other freezer episodes. I don't want to ruin my glass pans (let alone the meal) to try that method to find out. to me at the very least you will have to bring the glass to room temp before going into a hot oven.

2) Very Berry Croissants  - when is food network going to publish nutritional value info ? I almost went into sugar shock just watching this recipe. I know her schick is to "cook for hungry cowboys" but I don't think think they need this kind of nutrition for a quick breakfast on the go . ok, I get the croissant (which probably has a little sugar) but to add brown sugar, turbinado sugar, brush with simple sugar solution, and dust with powder sugar... also seems a little high on salt with the salted butter in the strudel and in the  almond cream. the croissant also already has salt in it.

Poor blueberries ! Did she pass out glucose  monitors after they cowboys ate them ?

Edited by sATL
  • Love 4
On 9/9/2018 at 5:09 PM, Kohola3 said:

Acknowledging is one thing.  Turning into a self-serving media circus is entirely another. 

A tasteful "Nan has passed and we honor her memory by asking you to allow the family time to mourn her in private" would have been perfectly fine.  Zeroing in on the face of the widower was unconscionable.

Ree's shows frequently rerun. Esp during the day. I hope food network pulls this episode from the repeat cycle.

Edited by sATL
incorrectly listed wrong channel
  • Love 3

I don't know how well this will upload, but today was it as far as the fugliest flowy shirt I've ever seen. What in the fresh hell are those white things? I even paused the TV and walked up to the screen and still couldn't tell.

The food looked like absolute dreck. Who wants a huge heavy breakfast bread pudding type casserole first thing on Thanksgiving morning? The base was cinnamon raisin English muffins. 

The worst was the pimento cheese spread which included the odd combination of adobo sauce and Dijon mustard. Gag. You were supposed to serve it on celery sticks and garnish with sriracha and raisins.

Ree.jpg

Edited by CharlizeCat
I had no idea that I finally learned how to screen grab from videos. Now, if only I could remember the 10,000 hit and miss steps I took!
  • Love 6
15 hours ago, CharlizeCat said:

The worst was the pimento cheese spread which included the odd combination of adobo sauce and Dijon mustard. Gag. You were supposed to serve it on celery sticks and garnish with sriracha and raisins.

This is a joke, right?  No way in hell would anything that vile pass my lips.

• Love 2

CharlizeCat - I had to look up the recipes when you said that about the casserole. It is DISGUSTING.

7 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

This is a joke, right?  No way in hell would anything that vile pass my lips.

It's real. 

Cream cheese, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, adobo sauce, Cheddar, Monterey Jack, pimientos, and suggested garnish: drained raisins, sriracha, walnuts, cranberries. 

SO gross. 

46 minutes ago, HyeChaps said:

Don’t want to disrespect Nan’s memory, but that cranberry jello with cream cheese looked gross. 

As soon as I saw the picture for it, I *knew* that she mixed more sugar in with that cream cheese.  Sure enough., there it is.

Let's not forget the Pumpkin "Tiramisu". On the other hand, can we? 

Edited by txvoodoo
Typos. Sigh.
  • Love 4
On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 3:42 PM, HyeChaps said:

Don’t want to disrespect Nan’s memory, but that cranberry jello with cream cheese looked gross.

Speaking of cranberries, we LOVE Ina's cranberry conserve, however my mother-in-law insists on making/bringing cranberry sauce, and hers is awful!  Not quite this jello concoction, but awful none the less.  So we make Ina's and stash it in the fridge.  Everyone sneaks a spoonful from the fridge and no one eats my MIL's.  MIL hasn't caught on to our secret yet!  

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, BTBAM310 said:

That's a good one, too. Forgot about that one.

Another one that gets me is when she says one fourth instead of a quarter.

Omg.   I hate it when she says “one fourth cup” and thought there was something wrong with me that no one else notices.    I was never taught to say it like that.    I want to scream at the tv - it’s “a quarter cup”!!!!!

• Love 4

I'm glad you all feel the same about "one fourth cup". Sometimes she'll say "a fourth cup" which actually sounds like there should be 3 cups preceding it. 

I just watched her low carb bites. Per usual, everything looks good until she has to add the last 4 or 5 ingredients. Dear Ree: you don't need EVERY herb in everything. It obliterates the flavors and just tastes muddy. 

And the episode following is the appetizers for "The Merc."

Jesus wept, a whole bottle of whisky to 2 liters of Dr Pepper (which she calls "Nectar of the gods" but never mentions by actual name and the label's covered). And then to say it should have something else in it, there are some fruits in there. 

It sounds DISGUSTING. 

Edited by txvoodoo
  • Love 5

I am very behind, and still catching up:

Poor Paige and Caleb.  Alex had a huge send off with her class at the office above the Merc with the entire town invited.  Paige and Caleb had a family only dinner a the lodge with roasted cauliflower salad.  I did notice that Missy made a major point of stating that she brought a "normal' salad.

Seeing Nan on screen just breaks my heart,, and poor Edna Mae.  She buried a grandson and now her daughter.  My Mom

On 11/11/2018 at 4:42 PM, HyeChaps said:

My makes something similar with cottage cheese and buttermilk.  Yuck to the yuck.  My Mother in Law makes something using the whole cranberry sauce, strawberry jello, pineapples and almonds.  I'll be nice, and simply say nasty.  

I truly felt sorry for all involved for cleaning up the family cemetery in order to have an episode for Nan.  I hope that it was FN driven and not Ree driven.  How awful to have to deal with grief and death, and then replace fence, mow, pull weeds, and paint.  I hope that they did not have to dig the grave, and bury her as well.

Although we love her pizza crust recipe, and my family loves pepperoni, and do not foresee our family making any of those pizza's or "knots" anytime soon.  

We will also pass on her breakfast food recipes.  I will stick with her rolls, french toast casserole, french puffs, fruit salad, and  biscuits.  

The only truly thing I want to ask Ree:  Why on earth do we not see you eating/feeding your family/really commenting on all this weird concoction food which you call cooking, and expect us to make/eat/feed our families.  Other than that, we pass on "asking you anything".  

I do however hang my head in shame over the sausage stuffed mushrooms.  Those did look amazing, and I do have them on my "try it before Christmas" list.  

The easy comfort I do not believe will be comforting in our home, however.  I do make some of her comfort food:  chicken pot pies, chicken noodle soup, ham and potato casserole, roast beef, dip sandwiches, and any cookie or citrus flavored desserts.

We do love her angel cookies, gingerbread men cookies, and her citrus cookies.  She has a milky way cake on her site, that I am truly amazed that she has yet to make on her show.  It has 11 milky ways in it, and I am now expected to bring to all work/church/family functions.  It also sells really well at our son's bake sales at school.

Our favorite episodes are the first 20-30 before she decided to fulfill her dream of entering clown school, when that did not work out, she decided to control half the town.  I am sure the petition is circulating as we speak to change the town/county to ReeDum.

All kidding aside, we do make as many recipes of hers as we snark on.   

• Love 1

I watched part of the cookie exchange and 3 out of the 4 types of cookies I absolutely hate. Those chow mein noodle chocolate things and the Corn Flakes wreaths. Yuck and yuck. I didn't quite grasp the logic behind dipping an Oreo in white almond bark and sprinkling it with peppermint bits. It would have actually been easier and probably tastier to spread out the almond bark and make, well, actually PEPPERMINT BARK.

The red velvet crinkle cookies looked OK. I made red velvet fudge yesterday that I'll be probably tastes better. The problem these days is that so many people won't touch anything that has red food coloring in it. A lot of people won't eat food with any food coloring in it period, unless the dyes are from a natural source. I don't care for the tastes of artificial red or blue food coloring, but I see no harm (to myself) to indulge once a year with the red stuff.

I laughed when Ree kept commenting that the cowboys were "showing restraint" when filling up their cookie plates. Gee ... I wonder why. 

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, Bessiesue said:

Our favorite episodes are the first 20-30 before she decided to fulfill her dream of entering clown school, when that did not work out, she decided to control half the town. 

Snerk.

• Love 3
On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 9:16 PM, MissT said:

Omg.   I hate it when she says “one fourth cup” and thought there was something wrong with me that no one else notices.    I was never taught to say it like that.    I want to scream at the tv - it’s “a quarter cup”!!!!!

I sometimes hear it as: "a-fourth-a-cup" or "a-third-a-cup"......that makes me cringe!

• Love 2