Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk

• Start Topic

tvvoodoo, I am so sorry that you've lost your mother and especially on Mother's Day.  I hope that your memories of her are happy ones.  As one who has lost her own mother, as several of us have, I send you my fondest and most sincere sympathy.

Peaches, you and I have spoken frequently about your loss, but my condolences remain the same.  I wish you the best with your father.  My mother suffered from Alzheimer's for many years before her death, so I'm well aware of the challenges.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Thanks, CC. I have never really been able to grieve. Since the day she became one with the universe I have been taking care of my dad. Alzheimer's is a terrible thing.

Points for you on the heavenly scale.  My mom had Alzheimer's but my dad did most of the care with my help.  Don't be afraid to ask for help.  And hospice is an option.

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, HyeChaps said:

All we can do is hang in there.

My dad is 95 and has Alz. It is awful. 

I'm so sorry. It's horrible to see someone you've looked up to and respected reduced to being a forgetful child. I hope you have some friends and family around to help. It's exhausting.

• Love 3

I don’t get the long hair dangling down towards the food she’s preparing. Why she doesn’t cut it is beyond me. And her voice & goofy little sayings she has drives me nuts. But I keep watching!

Edited by Svorps
Misspelling

Thank you, everyone. @peacheslatour, she sent me her recipe box a couple of years ago when she went into assisted living - and her baking pans, pyrex dishes, great old pots, etc. I'm lucky in that I was making recipes and calling her to tell her about them when I did. 

She was 93, and post-stroke. It wasn't unexpected. But she sure picked a day to go where I'd never forget! 

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, Aunt Catfish said:

I was thinking that this thread was about the murder of the hair of Paige.   What was she thinking???

We can only hope it was some sort of sick college initiation to a sorority thing and that it will go away.  She looks a wraith.

• Love 5

I've been wondering whether anyone here has read other viewers' reactions to Ree's "cemetery show" about Nan.  Anything in the way of articles or comments on other message boards?  Thanks.

• Love 2

Like mother, like daughters.  Ree has had hair colored in multi-tones for years.  It only stands to reason that the girls couldn't wait to experiment, too.  After all, famous television stars like the Drummond women have to stay glam for the plain, common masses glued to their shows.

• Love 4

Did anybody watch the "one pot wonders" episode yesterday? The root vegetable breakfast hash turned my stomach. I don't think I could face Brussels sprouts at 7 a.m.

I also don't understand the logistics of how one would have a cast iron skillet "pizza party." You'd need tons of skillets, otherwise while people were waiting for their pizza to bake, the other people's would get cold, unless the point was to not eat together. Also, if kids or even teens were doing this, there'd be a LOT of burned hands and fingers. I learned that the hard way for Thanksgiving about two years ago. I was cooking turkey thighs in a La Creuset skillet and forgot and grabbed the handle with my bare hand. OUCH!

The real star of the show was when Ree showed off her pantry. She must have had a couple dozen of her Walmart Dutch ovens in all sizes and colors plus an entire inventory of her other products. SMH.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, CharlizeCat said:

The real star of the show was when Ree showed off her pantry. She must have had a couple dozen of her Walmart Dutch ovens in all sizes and colors plus an entire inventory of her other products. SMH.

What's SMH?

I never did understand why Ree thought that her viewers would be interested in what cans and bottles she stored in that pantry.  Of course, if I understood Ree, I'd understand what she found so fascinating about it.

I think maybe Ree was showing off.  "Look at MY pantry.  I'll bet you wish yours were as big as a bedroom!"  Then, too, she might have run out of recipes to demonstrate, so a guided tour atop a stepladder filled out the time.  Who knows.

• Love 2

Just when I thought it was food impossible for her to come up with anymore crazy recipes, she unveils her breakfast veggie hash.  I do believe that is the most disgusting thing I have seen her make yet.  We were actually a huge fan of the show before she decided to enter into clown school.  The first 20-25 are still my favorite.  She actually cooked real food that normal folks ate, and we still make a lot of those recipes.  Her cinnamon rolls are to die for, and I love the Aunt Trish dressing.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Bessiesue said:

Just when I thought it was food impossible for her to come up with anymore crazy recipes, she unveils her breakfast veggie hash.  I do believe that is the most disgusting thing I have seen her make yet.  We were actually a huge fan of the show before she decided to enter into clown school.  The first 20-25 are still my favorite.  She actually cooked real food that normal folks ate, and we still make a lot of those recipes.  Her cinnamon rolls are to die for, and I love the Aunt Trish dressing.  

Do you actually make 7 (seven!) pans of these rolls? If not, do you have a cut down recipe for 1 or two pans? Thanks in advance for the help. God knows, I need it. ;-)

• Love 1
On 4/16/2018 at 1:24 AM, grisgris said:

The sheet pan supper...of spatchcocked chicken to share with Paige seemed OK but I thought it was weird that Ree kept referring to her marinade as "dressing."

On to loaf pan lasagna.

The last act didn't disappoint. Ladd and Ree were having "Steak Night" (aka "Date Night.") Ree kept referring to the entire meal as "steak frites."

I had the pleasure (?) of the above yesterday - the UK now has moments of only being about 6 months behind Drummond Time!

(grisgris I do so hope you won't mind me cropping your original post back in April.  I agree with absolutely EVERYTHING you said.)

The reference (several times) to steak frites made me shout at the television.  How dim/dumb/thick is Ree?  Apart from anything else, the potatoes were potato wedges: not even a third cousin to a frite.  Ladd, as PW's commis chef preparing the DIY seasoning, looked so uncomfortable throughout, suffering his wife's coquettish sideways glances and appallingly laboured flirtatious chatter.  I found it slightly odd that Ladd had (I think) rib eye and Ree had fillet but hey ho.

Then the hollandaise sauce alongside ranch dressing.  I love hollandaise sauce (I love bearnaise sauce, too - a local restaurant does deliciously wonderful bavette steak*, bearnaise sauce,, watercress salad and (wait for it) proper frites of the sort you have in France) and I'm pretty keen on dressings such as Ranch.  BUT NOT ON THE SAME PLATE!  Just the idea made me feel slightly sick.  (And I have a thing about Iceberg lettuce: I always think that, as the name suggests, it's rather glacial with nothing to commend it except for the Crunch Factor.)

* in the last few years, butchers in the UK have started selling slightly old-fashioned/less expensive cuts which I think is a great step forward.  I can't afford fillet so I suss out the local butcher for these cheaper cuts (I do have fillet steak on Christmas Day which is a great treat)  Cuts such as bavette, pichana (sp?), hanger steak - can't remember the names of any of the others - have really taken off as they're a) delicious and b) not bank-breakingly expensive.  (slightly wandered off topic...sorry!!)

Edited by Mandolia
  • Love 3

I don't even know how to try to explain this without like I am trying to defend Ree and her fans (which I am not) but here goes. While the "steak frites" gaff was indeed an glaring error, Ree can bank on the fact that the majority of her fans would be none the wiser. I can only try to speak for U.S. audiences, but sadly, the food Ree churns out appeals to the diet of the median American palate.

Case in point. I was at work yesterday at my part-time job and was in the lunch room. Two women were eating lunch together. One looked to be in her late 20-early 30s (I am terrible guessing ages) and the other looked 50-ish. They were discussing some type of food products (thinking maybe frozen entrees you'd probably take to work for lunch). They were marveling about "chicken adobo" and chicken with farrow (Mia's long-lost sibling!) The younger woman seemed somewhat familiar with the first dish, but they were both quizzical about "farrow." 

OK. I know that farro wasn't that well-known or popular until the past couple of years, but in my mind, now it is on the same familiarity level as quinoa. People who have any inkling about food or cooking, should have at least have heard of farro? Maybe I am wrong or just harshly judging, but I was kind of surprised to overhear that conversation.  The demographics of the company are very white, college-educated and a mix of Millennials and through mid-50s. The location is in an upper-income, highly Republican and conservative county. 

DISCLAIMER: What am I doing there, you ask? LOL!  It's only a part-part-time job and it pays decently for part-time work but I  am thinking about leaving because I'm growing bored. 

So, my take is that Ree knows exactly what she's doing. She's reaching out and appealing to the masses who aren't knowledgeable about food, cooking or food trends.  The idea is to eat something -- anything -- that is filling, preferably economical and consists of ingredients and flavors that don't veer to off the beaten (familiar) path (e.g. none of that weird furr-in stuff!)

Edited by CharlizeCat
  • Love 4

The big thing around here is "Amish" buffets. They're about as Amish as I am. But they feature huge quantities of overcooked, underseasoned food and at least a dozen dessert choices. They're always packed with people who pile food on top of food on top of food, then shovel it in while barely coming up for a breath of air. As a friend of mine once said, it's where people go to eat, not dine. I imagine those restaurant patrons being among Ree's biggest fans. My in-laws love those places, which is why I'm familiar with them. I always pack an extra-large roll of Tums and a bottle of Mylanta in my purse when we have to go to one because that's where Mr. Shoe Princess's sister want to go.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Peacheslatour:  Do you actually make 7 (seven!) pans of these rolls? If not, do you have a cut down recipe for 1 or two pans? Thanks in advance for the help. God knows, I need it. ;-)

We were dumb as dirt the first time, and made the entire batch.  Were stuck with pans and pans of cinnamon rolls.  Later she aired and episode with the orange rolls, and someone on her blog commented that she halved the recipe.  This is the one we use now.  I made the orange marmalade and the cinnamon flavors.  It is the "Special Delivery" episode.  This is the one where she exchanges the meal for Hy taking the girls to the co-op.  I found the link.  We also make beef stew and grits. 

Growing up we were meat/potato/two veggies family.  When Ree first aired, we were hooked, and down the rabbit hole we went.  My favorite episodes are:  The Big Game (Where Ladd's college mates come to visit), Alex's Birthday, Sunday Brunch, Shakespeare Movie Night (The pizza lasagna is amazing), Fill the Freezer, and Pet Parade.  Who does not love Cocoa and a blue painted turtle.  Gradually her shows became weirder and weirder.  We do watch her new shows to just have a good laugh at times, and others we do try the recipes, although not lately though.  Like I said, I am a true sucker for the first 25-30 episodes.  OH well, we all have to be kooky like Ree sometimes to get through life.   

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/orange-sweet-rolls-recipe-1974921

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, CharlizeCat said:

I don't even know how to try to explain this like I am trying to defend Ree and her fans (which I am not) but here goes. While the "steak frites" gaff was indeed an glaring error, Ree can bank on the fact that the majority of her fans would be none the wiser. I can only try to speak for U.S. audiences, but sadly, the food Ree churns out appeals to the diet of the median American palate.

Case in point. I was at work yesterday at my part-time job and was in the lunch room. Two women were eating lunch together. One looked to be in her late 20-early 30s (I am terrible guessing ages) and the other looked 50-ish. They were discussing some type of food products (thinking maybe frozen entrees you'd probably take to work for lunch). They were marveling about "chicken adobo" and chicken with farrow (Mia's long-lost sibling!) The younger woman seemed somewhat familiar with the first dish, but they were both quizzical about "farrow." 

OK. I know that farro wasn't that well-known or popular until the past couple of years, but in my mind, now it is on the same familiarity level as quinoa. People who have any inkling about food or cooking, should have at least have heard of farro? Maybe I am wrong or just harshly judging, but I was kind of surprised to overhear that conversation.  The demographics of the company are very white, college-educated and a mix of Millennial and through mid-50s. The location is in an upper-income, highly Republican and conservative county. 

DISCLAIMER: What am I doing there, you ask? LOL!  It's only a part-part-time job and it pays decently for part-time work but I  am thinking about leaving because I'm growing bored. 

So, my take is that Ree knows exactly what she's doing. She's reaching out and appealing to the masses who aren't knowledgeable about food, cooking or food trends.  The idea is to eat something -- anything -- that is filling, preferably economical and consists of ingredients and flavors that don't veer to off the beaten (familiar) path (e.g. none of that weird furr-in stuff!)

Brilliantly put. 

And I now feel that I might be perceived to be pompous and arrogant and entitled and judgemental and superior and know-it-all-ish with my comments about steak frites.  (overdose of "and": never mind)  Which couldn't be further from the truth: it was just a great irritation. 

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, ShoePrincess said:

The big thing around here is "Amish" buffets. They're about as Amish as I am. But they feature huge quantities of overcooked, underseasoned food and at least a dozen dessert choices. They're always packed with people who pile food on top of food on top of food, then shovel it in while barely coming up for a breath of air. As a friend of mine once said, it's where people go to eat, not dine. I imagine those restaurant patrons being among Ree's biggest fans. My in-laws love those places, which is why I'm familiar with them. I always pack an extra-large roll of Tums and a bottle of Mylanta in my purse when we have to go to one because that's where Mr. Shoe Princess's sister want to go.

I had a boss that would take me for lunch meetings at a Mongolian Chinese buffet exactly like that … except all the Chinese immigrants would go there for home cooking in obscene volumes. The food was always fresh, authentically spicy and hot (lots of turnover), but I couldn't handle people shoveling the food into their gobs, loosening their belts, going back for more, and rolling out the exits when they couldn't take it any longer.

Even though I made every attempt to not go over-eat, I always felt weird and bloated walking out the door.

Bromo-Seltzer to the rescue.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Mandolia said:

Brilliantly put. 

And I now feel that I might be perceived to be pompous and arrogant and entitled and judgemental and superior and know-it-all-ish with my comments about steak frites.  (overdose of "and": never mind)  Which couldn't be further from the truth: it was just a great irritation. 

Nah. Not in the slightest. You were being gentle compared to the rest of us. LOL!

You should have been around here during the days when Previously TV was Television Without Pity and "Semi-Homemade Cooking With Sandra Lee," was airing brand new episodes on Food Network.  Talk about online shaming! NOTHING (recipes, tablescapes, kitchen decor, Sandra's wardrobe, hair and makeup and usage/consumption of alcohol) went unscathed! 

God, I miss that show!

• Love 7
11 hours ago, CharlizeCat said:

Nah. Not in the slightest. You were being gentle compared to the rest of us. LOL!

You should have been around here during the days when Previously TV was Television Without Pity and "Semi-Homemade Cooking With Sandra Lee," was airing brand new episodes on Food Network.  Talk about online shaming! NOTHING (recipes, tablescapes, kitchen decor, Sandra's wardrobe, hair and makeup and usage/consumption of alcohol) went unscathed! 

God, I miss that show!

Thank you and phew!

Bit in bold:  ohhhh....what delicious fun!!

• Love 2
16 hours ago, CharlizeCat said:

God, I miss that show!

So do I. The difference between Ree and Aunt Sandy is, I would love to sit down and have a cocktail and chat with Sandra while I woud run screaming from Ree. Well. maybe I would bring my own bottle of wine because those cocktail creations were pretty dreadful. But I always thought Aunt Sandy was a kind person with a generous heart and a sense of humor. 

I still have nightmares about that Kwanza cake. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ShoePrincess said:

I still have nightmares about that Kwanza cake. 

Rewatching the Kwanzaa cake video has become an annual tradition when I have Christmas with my sister.  No matter how many times we've seen it, it still cracks us up.

• Love 3
On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 6:55 AM, Kohola3 said:

Rewatching the Kwanzaa cake video has become an annual tradition when I have Christmas with my sister.  No matter how many times we've seen it, it still cracks us up.

I can't think of a better way to celebrate Christmas with a laugh, Kohola!  That episode is a classic.  People who never heard of Sandra Lee before that show now know who she is, thanks to all of the links online from people talking about it.  That was Aunt Sandy at her best!

• Love 3

Shoeprincess:I still have nightmares about that Kwanza cake. 

Kohola3:  Rewatching the Kwanzaa cake video has become an annual tradition when I have Christmas with my sister.  No matter how many times we've seen it, it still cracks us up.

Who did the Kwanza cake:  Aunt Sandy or Ree.  Speaking of cakes, Ree has a milky way cake on her website that is amazing.  I am shocked she has not made it on her show.  It is right up her alley:  tons of butter and milky ways.  I make it every time our church or work has bake sales, and is always a hit.

5 hours ago, Bessiesue said:

Who did the Kwanza cake:  Aunt Sandy or Ree.  Speaking of cakes, Ree has a milky way cake on her website that is amazing.  I am shocked she has not made it on her show.  It is right up her alley:  tons of butter and milky ways.  I make it every time our church or work has bake sales, and is always a hit.

Do you use "oleo" or butter?

6 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

You will watch it, and swear it is a joke. 

I don't know my favorite part - stabbing the cake with the knife for the candles, dumping that whole can of apples in the middle, or adding "acorns" (corn nuts) and pumpkin seeds to that monstrosity.  She must have been really hitting the sauce hard that day.

• Love 2

My favorite part about the episode was how seriously Sandra took the making of the cake.  She leaned over the cake so intensely that I thought the cake was headed for a White House dinner.  I really thought that any minute she was going to stop working on the cake, look at the camera, and say "April Fool!"

My second favorite moment was her gouging out the cake and shoving candles into the holes.  No candle holders for Aunt Sandy.

• Love 3

Today’s episode. “It’s gonna be a while before Paige and Ladd are gonna be up here for lunch but I have to get the pie in the freezer and before I do that I have to make the filling.”

wow. Very informative. Before you serve something you have to make it. 

Learn something new every day!

• Love 11

Color me shocked at the father/daughter menu:  quiche, gazpacho made with melon, italian salad?   Ree has made it clear all these years that there is cowboy food and everything else and her husband only ate the former.  I got the impression that Ladd would rather starve than eat those three dishes she prepared today.  I thought that 'maybe the guy is loosening up'. until they didn't show him even going into the house or Ree putting a plate in front of him.  I think this was a bunch of leftover recipes that Ree had to get out and they used this dad/daughter thing as a theme.  

• Love 4
18 hours ago, patty1h said:

Color me shocked at the father/daughter menu:  quiche, gazpacho made with melon, italian salad?   Ree has made it clear all these years that there is cowboy food and everything else and her husband only ate the former.  I got the impression that Ladd would rather starve than eat those three dishes she prepared today.  I thought that 'maybe the guy is loosening up'. until they didn't show him even going into the house or Ree putting a plate in front of him.  I think this was a bunch of leftover recipes that Ree had to get out and they used this dad/daughter thing as a theme.  

To use the title of the 1980's book: "real men don't eat quiche".  (I suppose you could just about get away with it by calling a quiche Lorraine An Egg & Bacon Pie - with the addition of onions, several cloves of garlic, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, chipolte (sp?) peppers and a whole buncha cumin, turmeric, garlic powder, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce.)  Plus copious quantities of cheese (multiple types) and a great dollop of heavy cream. 

Edited by Mandolia
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Mandolia said:

To use the title of the 1980's book: "real men don't eat quiche".  (I suppose you could just about get away with it by calling a quiche Lorraine An Egg & Bacon Pie - with the addition of onions, several cloves of garlic, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, chipolte (sp?) peppers and a whole buncha cumin, turmeric, garlic powder, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce.)  Plus copious quantities of cheese (multiple types) and a great dollop of heavy cream. 

And sprinkles! You forgot the sprinkles.

• Love 2