Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, patty1h said:

The menu today wasn't too bad, as two of the dishes (8 layer dip, lemon icebox pie) looked fairly tasty and nice additions to a BBQ.  The other two... I would probably walk past.  I am VERY picky about my potato salad and the idea of BBQ sauce in it would put it on my Nope list.  I would most likely skip that cornbread/blueberry thing too, just for being too complicated and weird.

I can't stand pink savory food. Except salmon, of course but that's a natural found in nature type of pink.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Gam2 said:

OMG. Please tell me that she did not put BBQ sauce in Potato Salad!!

Hate to be the one to break it to you ... but yes, yes she did. And she was quite pleased with herself, too.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, CharlizeCat said:

You mean how auburn hair is more like a color found in nature -- autumn leaves -- as opposed to clown red?

Exactly. When I was a florist I would occasionally be asked for teal flowers. No such animal.

• Love 4
(edited)

I entered the Reecipe for cheesy potatoes into a recipe calculator; one serving has 42 grams of fat (and she served it alongside prime rib in that episode - 30 grams of fat for four ounces - why not a green salad and new potatoes? Isn't prime rib lux enough?)

You mean how auburn hair is more like a color found in nature -- autumn leaves -- as opposed to clown red?

"We all float down here (at the ranch)".

Edited by film noire
  • Love 5

I was having serious flashbacks to Aunt Sandy with that potato salad. In what world do barbecue sauce, dijon mustard, mayo, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce go together? On top of the flavor shock, the color of the dressing was just so off-putting! 

I actually didn't mind the cornbread salad and would probably try a No-Thank-You-Helping of it, but I was trying to figure out what could be swapped out to make it less sweet. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

In what world do barbecue sauce, dijon mustard, mayo, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce go together?

Proving, yet again, that she is a "grab 8 items out of the pantry and dump them in" hack rather than someone who actually has any idea of what ingredients are appropriate together.  A monkey could do just as well.  And have a more natural hair color.

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, film noire said:

I entered the Reecipe for cheesy potatoes into a recipe calculator; one serving has 42 grams of fat (and she served it alongside prime rib in that episode - 30 grams of fat for four ounces - why not a green salad and new potatoes? Isn't prime rib lux enough?)

"We all float down here (at the ranch)".

And then the murders began...

• Love 3

BBQ sauce in potato salad???!  She also uses BBQ sauce in one of her many baked bean recipes.  She must like the stuff.  It makes me ill thinking about it.  I notice that anything that seems unnatural is frequently explained away by saying that it's popular in "these parts," whether it truly is or not.

I'm thinking that BBQ sauce added to potato salad is almost as bad as adding it to her egg yolks for deviled eggs on one occasion.  She goes for color, you know -- not taste -- the brighter, the better.  Barf.

• Love 3

I think that multi-layered dips are one of the grossest party appetizers and I don't touch them. I hate seeing the gouges made by chips and spoons and it's only a short matter of time before all the ingredients are mixed together into a grayish lump that dries out as the event progresses.  People also dig out only parts of the dip that they like, which always leaves an uneven blob of sludge -- usually sour cream, olives and green onions. Barf ... 

Pico de gallo "juice." Hee! Shades of Aunt Sandy. 

The potato salad warnings on here didn't disappoint. Pickled red onions were so last year. Mayo and barbecue sauce just ... no. I could see maybe if a more deft hand (and palate) was behind the whisk, but not in this instance. I kept thinking how awful the barbecue sauce would clash with the pickled red onions.

The best line was when Ree tried to explain that the longer potato salad "sits," that it "absorbs the creaminess." Huh? That could be another Aunt Sandy line if I ever heard one.

The lemon pie looked OK but was rather heavy on the dairy and saturated fat side. What else is new.

You can't really mess up salad, but wait!  That salad would have been OK, but I agree with others that the dressing tipped everything over to the too sweet side. Maybe use the blueberries in the salad and make a dressing out of raspberry vinegar or something to echo the fruit theme. I dunno. 

Geez. It's only late May and the heat index here today in KCMO was over 100! We're in for a heat wave with no end in sight. That said, barbecue, grilling, being outdoors, eating anything heavy ... NO THANKS! This is gonna be one L-O-N-G summer. 

• Love 2
(edited)
13 minutes ago, CharlizeCat said:

The best line was when Ree tried to explain that the longer potato salad "sits," that it "absorbs the creaminess." Huh? That could be another Aunt Sandy line if I ever heard one.

LOLOL  I haven't seen this episode yet.  Did Ree add a little mustard so she could enjoy the gross sound from the bottle?  She's the only woman I know who gets a thrill out of that sound.  We should send her a whoopee cushion for her sofa.  She could sit on it while she plays with her hand puppets.

Edited by Lura
  • Love 4
(edited)

I see what you did there, @IOUPayne.  Someone on another thread posted that SNL skit a few days ago and it cracked me up.  *The potato salad joke is at the end*

Edited by patty1h
  • Love 4
34 minutes ago, patty1h said:

I see what you did there, @IOUPayne.  Someone on another thread posted that SNL skit a few days ago and it cracked me up.  *The potato salad joke is at the end*

That was one of the funnies sketches they've done in along time.

• Love 1
(edited)

I am still trying to recover from the salad Ree fixed on an episode that loaded on my DVR.  It was what we might call a tossed salad, filled with lettuce and loaded with cherry tomatoes.  All of that was fine.  Then, though, Ree added BLUEBERRIES and a blueberry vinaigrette.  I cannot grasp the idea of oil and vinegar, all those tomatoes and sweet blueberries.  It seems like such a clash of flavors.  That's one I'll skip.  It seems like she puts that family through a lot of trials ... and errors.

Edited by Lura
typo
  • Love 2
(edited)

I couldn't help rolling my eyes the other day.  Ree was making one of her strange concoctions, looked at the camera with a giggle, and said, "I like doing crazy things like this."  I thought, "No kidding, Ree!  And what happens if we don't like it, despite your constant raves about it being divine, miraculous and heavenly?  You can write the whole thing off, but for us, it's money down the drain!"  As P.T. Barnum said, "There's a fool born every minute."  Have you heard that one, Ree?

Edited by Lura
typo
  • Love 2

I am glad that FN moved "Baked in Vemont" to Sunday where Gesine would be in proper company with the other real cooks like Ina and Giada.  Watching Ree before Gesine was always so jarring. 

Let's see ... yesterday I learned how to not add barbecue sauce to potato salad dressing or that melted down blueberries and sugar do not equal "salad dressing." 

Today ... I learned to add baking powder to rub/dry brine to coat chicken with before you roast it to ensure a crispy skin. I also learned that if you put vanilla or another extract into hot ingredients, the extract can burn and turn a weird flavor.  Also, Swiss meringue buttercream that actually looked doable!  (People always mess that up on baking competitions.) 

• Love 1

I loved Gesine's tips. I swear I learn something every time I watch.

I didn't have to learn NOT to put BBQ sauce in potato salad because any sane person would already know that.

• Love 3
(edited)

I wonder where Ree gets the idea that everything she makes is so clever.  There was a repeat episode on recently where she cooked and built a giant hamburger.  It had to have been about 6" tall.  No man, no dog that I know of, could possibly get their jaws open wide enough to eat that thing.  She built that thing from the ground up with so many things -- two patties, I think, every veggie but the kitchen sink, all kinds of cheese ('natch), lettuce -- so many different layers that I lost interest halfway up.  When she was finished with that monster and laid the top of the bun precariously in its place, she seemed to think it was the work of a genius.  She looked so almighty pleased with herself that I wondered where her brain was.  She didn't even take one of her ever-present wood skewers to hold the thing together. 

I honestly believe that Ree thinks her mother was the best cook that side of the Mississippi and that she far exceeds her mother in her cleverness.  I think she believes her own publicity.  It doesn't seem to matter to her how outrageous she gets.  The more people who will talk about one of her crazy dishes, the happier she is.  It's the same as her carting cookies, rolls, you name it, all over town.  (Her mom did that, and Ree calls it "a lost art.")  HA!  I used to think that it was generosity, but I've begun to think that it may be  braggadocio or calling attention to herself on the local scene. To me, it's become one more way that she deludes herself into thinking that everyone is thrilled to have an item from Ree herself -- her doctor, her minister, you name it.  Sometimes she stumps me.  I just don't "get" her.  I think she might be more careful that she doesn't become the laughing stock of Pawhuska.

Edited by Lura
  • Love 5
On 5/26/2018 at 1:49 AM, film noire said:

Welcome to Reeworld! Live without a buncha limits.

(We always knew she was some kind of robot :)

Ricotta here as well. (I mix carmelized-until-jammy fennel into the ricotta -- the licorice flavour disappears, and it tastes faintly of celery -- plus a ton of red pepper flakes for heat.)

I recently  watched Ree make her cheesy twice baked potato casserole:  Four sticks of butter, 16 ounces of sour cream, two cups of chedder jack, 2 cups whole milk, 15 slices of bacon; mix with sixteen potatoes (baked and slathered in olive oil). Place in baking dish and cover top with more chedder jack.  Serve alongside defibrillator.

This has me REALLY intrigued!  Sounds super yummy!

• Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Especially the defibrillator.  

LOL

@Natalie68 - it's really good -- made me like fennel, which I'd always hated before. (And it adds a good texture/taste to the ricotta). 

No man, no dog that I know of, could possibly get their jaws open wide enough to eat that thing. 

Oh, @Lura, that thing was insane -- you'd have to unhinge your jaw like a prehistoric raptor to get that mountain of food into your piehole.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, film noire said:

LOL

@Natalie68 - it's really good -- made me like fennel, which I'd always hated before. (And it adds a good texture/taste to the ricotta). 

Oh, @Lura, that thing was insane -- you'd have to unhinge your jaw like a prehistoric raptor to get that mountain of food into your piehole.

I'm def going to try it!  Thank you @film noire!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

I'm def going to try it!

If you're planning on trying to eat it, you'd better put the whole thing into a strong Panini press first.

• Love 1

Has she discovered the instant pot yet? I love mine for convenience, but avoid some of the recipes posted that people rave over, because they sound do fattening. One recipe called crack chicken, calls for an entire block of cream cheese. I love cream cheese, but have been in no rush to try the recipe.

My mum hated the pioneer woman. She loved the food network, but used to mock Ree when she came on, "I'm just a country gal". She absolutely loathed her. 

• Love 3

Cooking for morons - gee, did you know that stirring eggs into a hot mixture might scramble them?  What a genius she is.

What's with calling their lackeys Cowboy This and Cowboy That?  You can't just use their names?  Makes them sound like cartoon characters.

• Love 4

The episode I watched last night was all about chocolate.  (If it isn't Tex Mex, it's chocolate.)  Ree was making treats for Paige to take to school.  Ree must have melted chocolate four times.  Why she didn't melt it all at once is anybody's guess.  I swear that woman couldn't make treats without marshmallows and sprinkles.  She said she got all of her fixins at the supermarket in her favorite aisle:  CANDY! 

One of her treats was two marshmallows on a skewer.  Then she rolled them in milk chocolate, then white chocolate, then chocolate cake crumbs, then repeated the process.  Done!  Another treat was her hot pepper fudge.  Hooo boy!  Into the chocolate she stirred hot chili peppers, seeds and all, followed by canned chili peppers and adobo sauce ("for a real kick!").  I shuddered to think what kids got stuck with that fudge.  Male or female, it would grow hair on their chest.

She copped some of Paige's treats for a smaller plate for Ladd.  She was so pleased with herself!  I felt sorry for Ladd.

• Love 3

I always though her original blog was derivative filler looking for book deal by adapting popularized magazine recipes with folksy banter and decent graphic presentation. But her show is odious; Why doesn't FN call Ree's show Recipes Stolen From Taste of Home and be done with it? Copyright issues?

Sprinkling crap on chocolate-coated marshmallows is straight out of a Taste of Home Halloween Party supplement from 2015. 

Chipotle Fudge is an abomination.

Re: BBQ sauce in potato salad -- Had it at a graduation party, and it was wack; too sweet with a medicinal hickory after-taste (my main complaint with commercial BBQ sauces) that tinted the potatoes and hard-cooked eggs pink. Ick.

• Love 8
On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:56 PM, CharlizeCat said:

Can you imagine what Anthony Bourdain would have said about that? R.I.P., good man. 

I saw Anthony Bourdain at a For Your Consideration Emmy event for No Reservations years ago. A reporter asked him about his time on FN, and his opinion of cooks like Paula Deen (another cook not above throwing the kitchen sink at a recipe). He spoke at length on the lack of substantive food production on FN, but when pressed specifically for dish about Paula Deen, his response was the universal Southern insult, "Bless her heart," making clear the subject was closed and moved on to another reporter. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Watched Ree make the pancake-mix-in-a-Mason-jar today and all I could think was "what a waste of space".  All those jars with the pre-measured mix lined up on a shelf is OK if you have a kitchen/pantry with lots of space and love the look of Mason jars lined up like soldiers.  Go crazy, if that's your aesthetic, but it just seems like clutter/filling up space.  Then Ree explained that one jar would make about 8 pancakes... that amount wouldn't feed her family at a sit down breakfast -- she'd need to pull out multiple jars.  So dumb.  Almost as bad as her fridge full of sheet pans loaded with stuff for the meal later in the day.

I live alone and I wouldn't bother with dividing that mix; I would put the mix in one BIG container and scoop out enough mix as needed.  Also, I don't think I would touch that roasted broccoli with bacon and creamy dressing concoction.

Edited by patty1h
  • Love 9

Thanks for the heads-up. I was unaware there was a new episode yesterday and couldn't sit through it. We've seen the beef stew and grits before.  

What is the point of roasting vegetables if you are going to drown them in gross dressing?  The premise behind roasting vegetables is because roasting really enhances the VEGETABLES' flavor. Sure, some herbs and other seasonings, lemon juice, etc., help, but not slathering them with that crap.

I hit "delete" when Ree moved to the pantry to talk about the pancake mix in a Mason jar. Honestly, I think Ree is like a dog with a bone with her Mason jars and sheet pans. Those trends are over and it's time to move on.

Didn't Ree used to have kitchen drawers or bins filled with dry ingredients or am I thinking about somebody else? Whoever it was, we all snarked about how unsanitary it was, welcomed insects, etc.  Why couldn't she have a drawer of baking mix. Maybe I am losing my mind.  Does this ring a bell with anybody?

Another point. The woman seriously needs a consult with a makeup artist. Yesterday, she looked so pasty and gross. It was like she'd had a flour flashback into her face or something.   She desperately needs some bronzer, blush and contour.  I don't know where she got the idea that flaming red hair, harsh black eyeliner and deathly white skin is a good look, especially for HD TV.

• Love 8
40 minutes ago, CharlizeCat said:

The premise behind roasting vegetables is because roasting really enhances the VEGETABLES' flavor.

Absolutely!  To add anything on top is just plain stupid.  But. then, so is she.

• Love 3

I was watching one of the older shows that was presumably a tie-in to Fathers Day and they showed a picture of a young Ladd with TWO brothers -- Tim, who we know about, and TODD, about whom I've never heard a word. Is he still alive? An estranged black sheep that is never mentioned? Presumably Ladd & Ree's Todd was named after him.

26 minutes ago, J-Man said:

I was watching one of the older shows that was presumably a tie-in to Fathers Day and they showed a picture of a young Ladd with TWO brothers -- Tim, who we know about, and TODD, about whom I've never heard a word. Is he still alive? An estranged black sheep that is never mentioned? Presumably Ladd & Ree's Todd was named after him.

Ladd’s brother Todd was killed in a car accident. You can google the story. Ladd’s son Todd is named after him. 

O.k. I took one for the team. From Ree's blog:

Ladd's oldest brother Todd was killed in a car accident when Todd was eighteen, the summer before he left for college. He was working at the ranch of a family friend in Texas. Tragic, life-altering, terrible. Anyone who’s lost a loved one to a car accident knows how much it rocks a family.

• Love 1
(edited)

On a recent episode, Ree made her father a retirement meal of beef stew and "blistered beans."  I'd never heard of blistered beans before.  She put fresh green beans into a skillet with oil, then cooked them until they blistered.  Some were burned, which she said were good.  I love fresh green beans, but Ree's looked terrible to me.  Has anyone here made them or tasted them?  Are they really good?

ETA:  I just discovered that I had basically the same discussion in Test Kitchen.  Don't mind me, folks.  Last night was a short one for sleep!

Edited by Lura
Added ETA
  • Love 4