Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Baby Shower & A New Home

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

Derick could easily get a job teaching English. I know people who don't have a college degree at all who do it. All they really care about is that you're a native speaker.

I'd pity the students in his class, but this is true. I could easily see Derick employed teaching English.

• Love 1

It could be the ratings reflect people hoping to see Anna say - I'm leaving Josh.  Now with people being horrified by her decision to stay the only ratings  hope for the next episode is for people who want to see Jessa giving birth. Pros and cons to watching that one. After that - the Josh redemption after the New Year?  Anna's welcoming him home?  How much worse can it get?

• Love 4

If it's dropped, chances are the next episode will drop too. It might lead TLC to believe it's not worth a full series. 

Yes, but Spurge is born on the next episode. That could bring a larger audience - although there's nothing new or interesting about the Duggars having a baby.

• Love 2

Since they've filmed so many Duggar births, I would expect more viewers would want to hear what Anna had to say about Josh than watch Spurgeon's birth. The fact that they didn't get a bigger audience for the second installment gives me hope that the numbers will go down even further for the last installment, thereby causing TLC to drop that bunch of grifters all together.

• Love 8

In their worldview, pretty much anything can be forgiven if you are "truly repentant"--there's a hymn that my former church used(the name escapes me at the moment)with the lines "The vilest offender who truly believes/That moment from Jesus a pardon receives."

Wow, that's catchy! ;-)

• Love 6

Has there been any chatter about continuing this beyond the 3rd installment?

Well, the ratings are about what the Kardashians pull in for E! and that shitshow has been on for close to a decade, so....

I think TLC is desperate at this point. They've cancelled several shows and none of the 19K&C replacements have been able to fill the vacuum. If Boob can wrangle a courtship for one of the older kids, I think a regular series will get the green light.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 3

Didn't Josh and Anna both say that HE liked her for a while and she didn't really notice him and wasn't into him? Maybe Anna should've listened to her first instinct? Josh pursued her and he prayed about it for almost a year.

So... the way people have seen Josh treat Anna, is the way he treats women he's longed to have?????

This isn't a particularly good sigh.

So... the way people have seen Josh treat Anna, is the way he treats women he's longed to have?????

This isn't a particularly good sigh.

I doubt he longed for her in the romantic sense, though a part of him probably thought a married life would help his urges. Of course, that would be a lie but he was young and naive as well. He also could have pursued Anna BECAUSE she rejected him at first---replace longed with coveted and she's the ring in LOTR in human form. Sadly, Anna was raised in an environment where I'm doubtful she had much of a choice---sure she rejected him, but ultimately, they got married. Was that her change of heart or did her dad spur the change because money was tight and someone was interested in her? Who knows, but something tells me if I had to put money down I'd go with the latter. She probably saw it as an adventure, where she could focus on having kids and she'd get a new cushy life like she'd never seen before---she grew up poor, not even comfortable poor, just poor. Josh likely could have been a means to an end, since I don't think she's ever really been taught the empowerment/pleasure side of sex (it was something you just did because you're supposed to and you have to because it brings about children) so she could have just considered it an annoying side effect of marriage. 

My heart breaks for Anna because I don't really think she ever stood a chance, BUT she may have gone into this with some pretty big dreams that have clearly landed her in a girl's dorm. So there's that...greener grass and all of that. 

• Love 7

Did anyone check out Michelle in the background during the baby food tasting?

Talk about adding to many spoons of sugar to the mix!She was drunk with excitement,really hamming it up.

Almost as if to say "see I doint care what you all say about us"

• Love 2

Ratings for second episode from zap2it.com...down from the first episode:

Show/ Net/ Time/ Viewers(000s)/ 18-49 rating
REAL HOUSEWIVES ATLANTA BRVO 8:00 PM 2863 1.4
SUNDAY MOVIE FAM 7:00 PM 2712 1.0
SUNDAY MOVIE FAM 9:15 PM 2522 1.0
FAMILY GUY ADSM 11:00 PM 1948 0.9
KEEPING UP KARDASHIANS ENT 9:00 PM 1893 0.9
FAMILY GUY ADSM 10:30 PM 1799 0.8
INTO THE BADLANDS AMC 10:00 PM 2159 0.8
BIG BANG THEORY, THE TBSC 10:00 PM 2140 0.8
AMERICAN DAD ADSM 10:00 PM 1730 0.8
ALASKA: THE LAST FRONTIER DISC 9:00 PM 3033 0.8
RICK & MORTY ADSM 11:30 PM 1436 0.7
HOMELAND S5 SHO1 9:03 PM 2073 0.7
BIG BANG THEORY, THE TBSC 10:30 PM 1802 0.7
JILL & JESSA: COUNTING ON TLC 9:00 PM 1895 0.7

The first episode was 2220 & .8.  So they fell from 2.2 million to 1.89 million and from a .8 rating to a .7 rating in the 18-49 demo.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Love 1

I had a look at the top 100 cable shows for Tuesday the 16th, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Monday. Only Jill & Jessa got TLC into the top 100, they ranked twice on Sunday, and once on the Tuesday. Maybe TLC are hoping that the loss of advertisers for the Duggar show is compensated by viewers eventually watching the poor rating TLC shows advertised, and the ads that air on those shows. Maybe the viewer stats for the Duggar show looks good in TLC's ad block sales pitches. TLC's ratings do not look so great without the Duggars.

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 1

I had a look at the top 100 cable shows for Tuesday the 16th, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Monday. Only Jill & Jessa got TLC into the top 100, they ranked twice on Sunday, and once on the Tuesday. Maybe TLC are hoping that the loss of advertisers for the Duggar show is compensated by viewers eventually watching the poor rating TLC shows advertised, and the ads that air on those shows. Maybe the viewer stats for the Duggar show looks good in TLC's ad block sales pitches. TLC's ratings do not look so great without the Duggars.

I'd like to think that the issue isn't that they don't look good without the Duggars and that the problem is their programming lineup sucks in general and they're behind trend.  They don't even have a show based in Alaska!  Probably a discussion best held in the TLC forum. 

Edited by Lemur
  • Love 1

Looked to me as if Anna's borrowed bed had a fake wall or drapery on either side, plus a rack for her clothes and an actual dresser, so she gets some token privacy, unlike the other adult women in that shared bedroom. Plus she gets to wear her own things instead of join in the family closet. I don't think she has ever had a chance to live by herself.

• Love 3

I'd like to think that the issue isn't that they don't look good without the Duggars and that the problem is their programming lineup sucks in general and they're behind trend. They don't even have a show based in Alaska! Probably a discussion best held in the TLC forum.

I'm stunned that Jewel's family have an Alaska show, and it gets really good ratings, but it's audience demographic suggests most of the audience have no idea who she even is.
  • Love 1

I'm stunned that Jewel's family have an Alaska show, and it gets really good ratings, but it's audience demographic suggests most of the audience have no idea who she even is.

Especially because she sings part of the theme song and most people don't even recognize her. 

I don't get the "Joi-Anna is so pretty" thing. I mean, she's not going to put me off of my frito-pie but, I wouldn't be bragging to my buddies at church camp about a full-on frontal hug or anything.

Is it because she's got a few extra pounds? I mean, I agree, that can make someone look sweet and nice but, I don't know that I'd go with "pretty". I guess it's in the eye of the beholder. However, that beholder better have a good back...

Edited by tvehemently
  • Love 1

I don't get the "Joi-Anna is so pretty" thing. I mean, she's not going to put me off of my frito-pie but, I wouldn't be bragging to my buddies at church camp about a full-on frontal hug or anything.

Is it because she's got a few extra pounds? I mean, I agree, that can make someone look sweet and nice but, I don't know that I'd go with "pretty". I guess it's in the eye of the beholder. However, that beholder better have a good back...

I find Joy to be pretty because, unlike her sisters, she keeps her look very natural. 

https://www.facebook.com/duggarfamilyofficial/photos/pb.510067475793573.-2207520000.1450910618./747488015384850/?type=3&theater

Sure, I get that. So, it's not so much her "look" as it is that her look is natural? Again, preferences are subjective. I'd imagine women have a different notion of what is "pretty" compared to men. And, of course, there's variation within the population of men as well.

I keep my look very natural. In fact, my long, luxurious eye-brows are the envy of my ward. I have often been called pretty. I suppose some might not agree but, in the end, it's all about personal preference.

Thanks for clarifying!!

I don't see joy as being natural. She looks like she wears as much makeup as the rest of them. I do think it's great she doesn't appear to diet though.

She's definitely has a lot more personality than any of her sisters combined though. She has drunk the least amount of koolaid.

Are Jana and John David still living in the family dorms at 25 years old?? That might be the saddest thing ever.

Jessa is not someone who I would take my daughter to hear speak as a role model. Jessa is uneducated, unemployed, and has not accomplished anything except avoiding front hugs until her wedding day. Jessa has no goals and is not involved in any charitable causes. What does she have to talk about?

• Love 15

So, quick question: Was Derrick's jaw surgery a success? Is it too soon to tell?

Just curious. Pics I've seen I can't really tell. I suppose if worse came to worse he could always put on the Pistol Pete head so, he's got options.

One more question: How old is Josey? I'm assuming 3 or 4 but it's weird because they talk about her on the show like she's older than that. Based on the way they treat her though, I've got to believe she's very young.

Josie just turned 6. She is extremely small for her age and also appears to have other delays as well. At least we know she will lick her plate clean.

Wow! I never would have guessed that. The plate thing is good news though. Hope lives on. . .

• Love 2

Just guessing here based on extensive orthodontia work myself, but it's probably too soon to tell.

Did you have a large mascot head to fall back on in your case or were you walking that particular tight-rope without a net?

I've been lucky enough to only have minor work done but, my wife swears I should have my jaw broken and that it would somehow "fix" my mouth. . . I don't know what she means by that.

• Love 3

Did anyone catch in this episode how Jessa was talking about how she would miss Jill, then stopped herself mid sentence, and said "well, I'll miss her because she can help me with the baby" or something along those lines? 

And also, I had to look up who Sierra was!!  All this time, due to the way they were saying her name, I thought her name was "Vera."  You all kept talking about Sierra, and I was like "Who is Sierra?  And why has no one mentioned Vera?"  I feel stupid now.  Although I totally laughed when Sierra was called a "party girl"

Boo.  Jim Bomb (Bomb said on purpose) and Michelle had more in your face time this episode.  Next episode we get to hear Michelle's voice via the 911 call.

I don't see joy as being natural. She looks like she wears as much makeup as the rest of them. I do think it's great she doesn't appear to diet though.

She's definitely has a lot more personality than any of her sisters combined though. She has drunk the least amount of koolaid.

Seeing Joy now makes me sad. The reason she got a bit chunky at puberty is because that was when JB and Mullet made her stop playing with the boys. She would probably be a HS soccer girl if she was raised normally. She used to like hanging out with that pants-wearing prankster cousin Amy ...that got knocked out of her around the same time. Slowly, the make-up is piling on, whether she likes it or not. The Kool-Aid is swirling, it's just taken longer to drown her.

And also, I had to look up who Sierra was!!  All this time, due to the way they were saying her name, I thought her name was "Vera."  You all kept talking about Sierra, and I was like "Who is Sierra?  And why has no one mentioned Vera?"  I feel stupid now.  Although I totally laughed when Sierra was called a "party girl"

Actually, they said "ULTIMATE party girl", which made me laugh. No, that would be Casey Anthony.

• Love 5

So Sierra is such a great family friend that they know through one of their "churches," yet they needed to hit up the GPS to get to her house? 

Sierra truly wormed her way into the family for her own desire to be a grade Z famewhore. I forget if I read it here or elsewhere, but someone ran into her IRL and said Sierra treated her like crap. It sounds like she's only nice to you if she can gain something from the transaction. 

• Love 6

So Sierra is such a great family friend that they know through one of their "churches," yet they needed to hit up the GPS to get to her house? 

Sierra truly wormed her way into the family for her own desire to be a grade Z famewhore. I forget if I read it here or elsewhere, but someone ran into her IRL and said Sierra treated her like crap. It sounds like she's only nice to you if she can gain something from the transaction. 

Yeah, I get a mean girl vibe from her. But she's lively so she's better than nothing as a companion for the Duggar girls. I still can't get over that she's in their age group and not Michelle's. Must have been some powerful drugs she used before she found Christ. Just kidding (not really).

• Love 9

I'm dreading the 911 call... What little I've heard makes me stabby. Michelle and her "the mother is bleeding"... Who says that in reference to their own daughter!? I'm probably reading too much into it but to me it indicates some detachment to Jessa.

Generally when you refer to someone, you refer with whatever you relationship is to them, it just seemed weird to me, like if I were talking to my aunt about my mom I would say "my mom" not "your sister". I do see where one could argue that Michelle is trying to relay information without confusing 911... It's doubtful they would walk into the house and be like "who's bleeding?" I swear it seems like she is trying to sound like a midwife.

Also, this is just a personal pet peeve, mostly because I work in healthcare, but I feel like she is trying too hard to sound professional. It's hard to say if that's really the case, because I've only heard a very small clip. But it's something about the way she's ennunciating what she says... I guess I should be glad she was staying calm. I've never had to call 911, and even though I'm a nurse, if it were my loved one I'm not sure if I could stay calm, even though I am trained to.

• Love 5

I didn't hear the 911 call either, but from what I recall reading here and elsewhere, Mechelle was actually commended for being clear and relaying information in a calm manner. Let's face it, Jana or Jinger would have been blubbering messes on that call. The one most detached was probably the best person to make that call. 

On a personal note, I was in the same position when my FIL had congestive heart failure. The MIL was a blubbering mess, and my husband was totally shellshocked. It was up to me to deal with 911 and, later,  the paramedics. 

I hate that I have this in common with Mechelle, but that's her fucking DAUGHTER, someone she supposedly has a close bond with. Remember, we saw how devoid of feeling she was in that car ride with Anna, whom she called a daughter-in-love on camera. I chalk these instances up to her complete lack of emotion. I can't wait to see how TLC mashes events together to make it appear that Mechelle actually has a heart. 

(edited b/c my typo made my sentence imply that Jessa is dead! LOL)

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1

Are Jana and John David still living in the family dorms at 25 years old?? That might be the saddest thing ever.

Jessa is not someone who I would take my daughter to hear speak as a role model. Jessa is uneducated, unemployed, and has not accomplished anything except avoiding front hugs until her wedding day. Jessa has no goals and is not involved in any charitable causes. What does she have to talk about?

Jana yes, JD is believed to be in a small house on the property. 

I didn't hear the 911 call either, but from what I recall reading here and elsewhere, Mechelle was actually commended for being clear and relaying information in a calm manner. Let's face it, Jana or Jinger would have been blubbering messes on that call. The one most detached was probably the best person to make that call. 

On a personal note, I was in the same position when my FIL had congestive heart failure. The MIL was a blubbering mess, and my husband was totally shellshocked. It was up to me to deal with 911 and, later,  the paramedics. 

I hate that I have this in common with Mechelle, but that's her fucking DAUGHTER, someone she supposedly has a close bond with. Remember, we saw how devoid of feeling she was in that car ride with Anna, whom she called a daughter-in-love on camera. I chalk these instances up to her complete lack of emotion. I can't wait to see how TLC mashes events together to make it appear that Mechelle actually has a heart. 

(edited b/c my typo made my sentence imply that Jessa is dead! LOL)

In emergency situations and even in death, I am the calm, cool calculating one who's brain is going a mile a minute on what has to happen. I planned a funeral and wrote the obituary myself at 17 because my mother couldn't when my step-dad died (father died in childhood and I was the same way)...it takes me about a week or two after the event before I let myself go and cry. I hate having this in common with her too, but I'm the same way so I kinda can't hold this thing against her. 

Allegedly. . .

She was a micro-preemie, it generally takes several years before they catch up to their peers in size; some never do. 

• Love 2

Others speculate that JD lives in the home he bought in Rogers (as a foreclosure) at a further discount in return for clearing brush from city-owned properties. AFAIK, he still owns that property, which was on the same street as Muffy's former McMansion, but a far more humble abode. 

Kokapetl is the one to look to for the fine print. 

• Love 4

I'm like you, Loves2dance, and am also very direct and don't add verbiage or unwittingly confuse the situation.  It doesn't mean I don't feel anything.  I do.  I don't cry either.  I just can't cry, no matter how huge the loss or scary the situation.  I do get annoyed with the people who keep asking again what you just relayed.  It must be trained into them.  I feel like they aren't paying attention the first time.

• Love 2

I'm like you, Loves2dance, and am also very direct and don't add verbiage or unwittingly confuse the situation.  It doesn't mean I don't feel anything.  I do.  I don't cry either.  I just can't cry, no matter how huge the loss or scary the situation.  I do get annoyed with the people who keep asking again what you just relayed.  It must be trained into them.  I feel like they aren't paying attention the first time.

It's gotta be trained in them---every time I've been on the phone with 911, I've been asked to repeat myself and it drives me crazy. Like, I just explained exactly what is happening, would you like me to tell you what I expect you to do about it now at this point in our conversation, or do I really have to repeat myself? I'm sure I come across as a big gigantic B; I'm not really trying to be, but I am definitely blunt, direct...etc. 

• Love 1