Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Baby Shower & A New Home

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

I'm willing to bet that Jill keeps baby Iz around during her language lessons and around in Central America so her "spanish skills" will be limited to baby talk. She won't have to learn. I mean, during the visit with the local woman there was a perfect opportunity for Jill to talk to her hostess and she didn't so much as try. I bet the novelty has already worn off for the local folks, if there ever was any. And I think Jill and Derrick are being spoiled by their nice apartment. They'll be shocked by real life during missionary work.

Bin and Jessa are painful to watch. They seem to remark only about what's in their immediate area (the picnic) or their immediate situation (the pregnancy). I imagine these couples, when they run out of things to say to each other, just stare at one another. Or have sex. Or discuss the Bible for the eleven billionth time that day. I mean, how much can you learn about a person from their religious views if they directly mirror your own? 

Anna breaks my heart. I knew from the promotional ad, "If I had gone on what I was feeling, I would have turned a mess into a disaster," that disaster stood for divorce, in her mind. When she spoke about making her wedding vows to God first and Josh second, I just thought "Why don't you think that if God truly loves you, He wants you to be happy and healthy? You are neither, in this moment." 

Edited by AltLivia
  • Love 15

Jessa is always so sour. In JJ&CO, Jessa is smiley and perky. Either she is actually happy or she knows a lot is riding on this show and is kicking it up a notch.

I'm surprised Ben doesn't step up his game. He is cleaning Jim Bob's toilets for a living. Surely, doing a TH has to be much better employment for him. Ben looks bored, unhappy or both.

Ben isn't very bright. He should be in the JJ&CO game with more enthusiam...guess you can't do what you don't have.

• Love 6

Yeah, what is with these belief systems that are certain God wants suffering? Only for some of us, of course. I mean, why would God want that, and so randomly, besides? That version of God exhibits every characteristic that we as humans are NOT supposed to have. So crazy.

I don't understand why their God can forgive - let's say child moleststion or cheating on your spouse, both of which are done voluntarily. But he won't forgive someone for having made an honest mistake, at a young age, under duress, in having chosen a bad marriage partner. It infuriates me.

(I know they are rules made up by random humans to exert control over others. We have seen how many of these authority figures break the rules themselves. But by god, their adherents better keep it together!)

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 14

I am wondering if Jill feels too shy to speak any Spanish on camera. She responded in English when she was spoken to in Spanish; she understood the Spanish. And I heard her at one point translate something that was said to her - I forget what.

I studied French for 6 years eons ago in school, and I never felt comfortable speaking it, though I can understand both written and spoken French somewhat decently. Am wondering if Jill is similar.

A classroom can be a competitive environment, and Jill doesn't really have any experience as a student in one. She probably doesn't have nearly as much in common with the other students as Derick does. Guatemarjorie's mother probably gave Jill a reasonable basic understanding, but she's probably quite uncomfortable having to make conversation with Guatemalans who aren't fundies. My understanding of immersion is that students, at times, will be assigned a native speaker with which they have to make conversation for hours/days/weekends solely in the language being studied. Can Jill handle that? Tontitown/Springdale residents apparently found them the girls to be very quiet, and they apparently always travelled in groups. Jill would probably be extremely uncomfortable having to converse one on one with a Guatemalan university student.
  • Love 5

Jessa is always so sour. In JJ&CO, Jessa is smiley and perky. Either she is actually happy or she knows a lot is riding on this show and is kicking it up a notch.

Jessa worked the fake perkiness like a hooker who was $500 short of her nightly quota. She was just putting extras on everything. Anyone who's watched the show consistently knows that's not her true personality.

• Love 20

Jill can only speak English in terms of packaged wisdom book phrases and terminology, King James Bible snippets and a few 'likes' and 'ums' thrown in. How exactly do those 'season of life' and 'purposing' etc. terms translate into Central American Spanish? I seriously wonder if the people in her mission field think she's super slow - not just an American with limited Spanish skills, but a challenged person. Easiest thing to do is let Iz learn and be the translator. That would actually give him some freedom, too.

• Love 8

I still don't understand why they didn't take Spanish lessons at home before they left. I get that they may not have become fluent, but they could have learned some basic skills.

Is rosetta stone against their religion too?

• Love 7

If they took Spanish classes at home, then what kind of a plotline would that be for the show???

Going on a fake mission is way more exciting.

You have to think like a Duggar and check logic at the door to even begin...

• Love 3

Learning in general seems to be against their religion. Because if you learn things, especially critical thinking skills, you are more likely to realize that their cult is a lie and Gothard is wearing no clothes.

We can't have that, can we.

Proscriptive religious organizations rely on herd mentality and argue against learning anything because it can diminish faith. I actually had a relative tell me this, that kids should never go to college.

• Love 10

I still don't understand why they didn't take Spanish lessons at home before they left. I get that they may not have become fluent, but they could have learned some basic skills.

Is rosetta stone against their religion too?

The Duggar girls have talked about having Rosetta Stone so I'm sure Jill has attempted it and Margoie's mom was the Duggar kid's Spanish tutor. Jill has also been on missions to SA and befriended a Spanish speaking girl there with whom she had ongoing communications. Jill SHOULD be able to role out a few Spanish phrases to entertain her TV audience but she doesn't even try. Its odd.
  • Love 4

Why do I picture Josh and Anna as a new version of Tim and Tammy Faye Baker once Josh gets out of rehab. I can picture him crying and saying he has been reformed and asking for the heathen masses and his fellow Christians to forgive him while Anna sits next to him crying and being sweet. JB is standing near by with dollar signs in his eyes, and Michelle's eyes throwing daggers at Anna because she probably will be pregnant within a year after Josh is cured of his evilness.

Tammy Faye did the mascara smudging thing for a while, but eventually divorced Jim B.  Her second husband ended up in jail too, so it didn't really work out for her. Tammy Faye could really, really pump out the tears, so Anna needs to get that down. 

I don't doubt that Anna will have to sign on the Josh Duggar Redemption Tour and earn her keep. She must feel like a female Job. 

• Love 6

Bin is a moron.  I wonder how he functions in daily life.  He has no idea what babies can and cannot eat.

Anna needs to wake up and leave Smugs. I call bullshit about her not knowing what she’s going to do about her marriage. Anna, we all know that you won’t leave Smugs, and will continue to bring innocent children into your shitshow marriage.

Does Sierra have a job besides planning Duggar get togethers and having sex?

• Love 8

MyPeople, yes, Anna confirmed they are living in the dorms. She took over one of the beds that was Jill's or Jessa's.

If Derick likes living abroad, I wonder why he doesn't try to find some sort of teaching position at an international school. He has a degree, and it would give him a real career other than fake mission work.

The bed she was on had Jana's name on it.

• Love 1

Was it my imagination last night, or do they actually refer to Ben as "B-I-N"?

I thought maybe it was a nod to those of us here, at PTV.

No, its the other way around. Posters snarkingly say Bin because that's the way its said on the show.
  • Love 4

Did you guys notice Jill trying to put her arm around Derick as they were trying to get into Jessa's baby shower? Geez let the guy go Jill he ain't running away just yet. I would die with that amount of cling around me.

I noticed & agree about the cleanliness (oops, spell check, wanted to say clinginess). I commented on the Live chat last night that they looked like their pinkies were entwined when they were walking out of the house together. Reminded me of something teenagers would do.

On Anna's explanation of finding out about the child molestation, she said Josh shared his life story with her parents while they (the Kellers & Anna) visited the Duggars. She didn't include herself in that sentence. Like her opinion didn't matter - since it was OK with Ma & Pa Keller, it had to be OK with Anna.

• Love 5

My observations from last night:

I, too, couldn't pull my eyes away from Anna's mouth when she was speaking. I actually felt really sad for her during her TH. When she said that God had forgiven her from SO MUCH, therefore she had to forgive Josh, all I could think was WTH could SHE have done that needed so much forgiveness? Was she in a bad mood once and had to spend hours in a prayer closest? I noticed that Anna has taken over Jana's bed, so I guess Jana is sleeping on the couch or with a howler. Meredith is a cute, happy baby who won't have a clue who her father is.

MEchelle gave Jill a side hug at the airport. That's so f'ed up that there are no words.

JBoob and MEchelle are determined to be filmed, one way or another. The famewhore is strong in these two.

I actually sat and watched the Seewald's eating okra for several minutes. When that's all you have for filler, then the show has truly jumped shark.

Ben makes Mama June and her clan look like rocket scientists.

I can't wait to watch Blessa suffer next week.

• Love 13

Jessa worked the fake perkiness like a hooker who was $500 short of her nightly quota.

This is comedy gold!

Cosmo's Recap: http://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/tv/a51088/jill-and-jessa-counting-on-episode-2-recap-anna-duggar/

Anna Duggar Shows Her Support for Josh on Jill and Jessa Counting On and It's Tragic

But there's something gutting about how she has to keep herself from crying throughout all these mentions of clinging to her faith and living out unconditional love. She's living with the Duggars now (that is, Jim Bob and Michelle and their children). And maybe she truly is staying there waiting for Josh because she wants to. But if she's staying because she feels somehow culpable or stuck or afraid, if she's trapped sleeping in a room with all her little sisters-in-law because she has nowhere else to go, it's not just sad. It's heartbreaking. (It's also heartbreaking that Anna downplays the sexual assault of the sisters she clearly loves, calling those assault's Josh's "wrong choices.")

And then it's the day of the shower, and without fanfare, like it's the most ordinary thing in the world, the Duggar vans pull up, and Jim Bob and Michelle and their children pour out, all smiles as they run through the grass and pose for family photos

Ewwwww. Do not need to see Jim Bob or Michelle ever again. EVER.

On the whole, it is profoundly disturbing to feel the network trying to lure viewers back in with wholesome baby shower games and declarations of sisterly love and embarrassingly earnest prayers and weepy airport good-byes — it's like your creepy, pathetic ex-boyfriend at your front door, crying and trying to remind you of the good times, hoping you'll be dumb enough to buy it.

That's an excellent way of putting it.

• Love 16
And I just couldn't stand to look at JimBob and Michelle.

Me either. I never liked them anyhow, but after the molestation scandal came to light, I find them nothing less than revolting. The way they covered up for their son, instead of trying to get him legitimate help, and how the girls were forced to just deal with it - ugh, it all sickens me. Plus, I blame them for most of this mess anyhow. Yes, Josh has to be responsible for his own actions. But I firmly believe their sexually repressive ideals, juxtaposed against a backdrop of dad humping mom and making sex jokes every 5 minutes, has to be terribly damaging to children going through puberty and trying to figure all that stuff out. 

They just make me sick. 

Oh, Anna. It's ok to be furious with that shit of a husband of yours. But why in the world did you think it was a good idea to marry Chester the molester in the first place? Never mind. I know the answer.

I feel like she was pressured into it. Were the Duggars very important people in their circles, even before the show? I just feel like Anna has never had many options in her life, and it makes me very very sad. 

• Love 11

Me either. I never liked them anyhow, but after the molestation scandal came to light, I find them nothing less than revolting. The way they covered up for their son, instead of trying to get him legitimate help, and how the girls were forced to just deal with it - ugh, it all sickens me. Plus, I blame them for most of this mess anyhow. Yes, Josh has to be responsible for his own actions. But I firmly believe their sexually repressive ideals, juxtaposed against a backdrop of dad humping mom and making sex jokes every 5 minutes, has to be terribly damaging to children going through puberty and trying to figure all that stuff out. 

They just make me sick. 

I feel like she was pressured into it. Were the Duggars very important people in their circles, even before the show? I just feel like Anna has never had many options in her life, and it makes me very very sad.

Here's my thoughts on the match-up. Anna was in the right place and time for Smuggar to use her to make his family feel he was on the way to a Godly life. The Duggars were probably fairly well thought of at the time and the Kellers were definitely a highly regarded family. Anna's parents seem to have an ability to forgive if people say the right words. They run a prison mission and have married at least one daughter and it appears to be another to "problem" sons of godly families. I think Mr. Keller relates to men who have struggled and there you have why the Kellers, even knowing about Smuggs, agreed to the match. That and Smuggs was kinda cute back then.
  • Love 4

I also hate that JB justifies it by saying their kids need to know that Mommy and Daddy love each other. How about showing your wife some love and respect and acknowledge that she is an independent being with a God-given right to her own personhood? How about NOT humping her in public and embarrassing her, Jessa, and Ben (and the world; obviously you are too stupid to be embarrassed yourself. We know you have a dick, OK?).How about showing your love by encouraging and not restricting your wife, and not requiring that googly-eyed look of brain-dead adoration every time you open your stupid mouth?*

How on earth do they explain "hey hey hey" and leering to their kids?

*I am relieved to see that Jill and Jessa seem to be looking at their guys in a normal way when they speak. And they don't use baby voices.

ETA: sorry, this should be in the boob and Michelle thread. They weren't shown doing this crap at the shower so I am off topic.

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 3

So, I'm confused. It seems like no matter what, the women cannot break their marriage vows even if the men already broke their vows. So why do the men even recite wedding vows? Seems like it would make more sense for the woman to just say "I will stay with you no matter what you do."

• Love 14

So, I'm confused. It seems like no matter what, the women cannot break their marriage vows even if the men already broke their vows. So why do the men even recite wedding vows? Seems like it would make more sense for the woman to just say "I will stay with you no matter what you do."

you are so right... if it was Anna that cheated Josh would drop her so fast she wouldn't know what hit her... 

• Love 7

I also hate that JB justifies it by saying their kids need to know that Mommy and Daddy love each other. How about showing your wife some love and respect and acknowledge that she is an independent being with a God-given right to her own personhood? How about NOT humping her in public and embarrassing her, Jessa, and Ben (and the world; obviously you are too stupid to be embarrassed yourself. We know you have a dick, OK?).How about showing your love by encouraging and not restricting your wife, and not requiring that googly-eyed look of brain-dead adoration every time you open your stupid mouth?

Or how about NOT encouraging your mentally ill wife to get pregnant four minutes after both she and her 19th child almost died during delivery so that you can be Mr. Almost-Jesus Paterfamilias of 20 younguns.

• Love 13

The Spanish classes in Antigua are all one on one or at most two students.  It's a regular industry there.  They aren't classes as we tend to think of them as 20 to 30 students in a room with one teacher.  Jill would have no competition whether she left the house or not.

I also hate that JB justifies it by saying their kids need to know that Mommy and Daddy love each other. How about showing your wife some love and respect and acknowledge that she is an independent being with a God-given right to her own personhood? How about NOT humping her in public and embarrassing her, Jessa, and Ben (and the world; obviously you are too stupid to be embarrassed yourself. We know you have a dick, OK?).How about showing your love by encouraging and not restricting your wife, and not requiring that googly-eyed look of brain-dead adoration every time you open your stupid mouth?*

I actually think showing affection in front of your kids is great. A kiss, a hug, even a little slap on the butt - alright. But JB will straight up grind on Michelle! Not to mention, he turns around and makes his kids stare at the ground when they wake, so they don't accidentally see a woman's shoulder. Mixed messages! No wonder those kids are so stunted and confused. 

• Love 11

Silly heathen sinners... Gods baby making factory is just down the street from Santa's workshop, he has a stork farm and sends them out everyday to deliver the babies he made.

Ok but seriously... On what level does Anna sharing a room with a 6 yr old (that is not her child) seem ok!? I don't even like that the older Duggar girls have to do it, but at least it's all they know. While I pick on Anna'a lack of judgement by the fact that she chose Josh as "the one" I recognize that the last year (well a little less than) or so has likely been hell for her, especially right after the scandal broke, I'm sure there were lots of tears shed on Anna's part, but she doesn't even have a room to call her own and just have some privacy and cry it out. Even though it hasn't been explicitly said, it seems like the Duggars deem sex as the only reason adults need privacy so if Josh is gone Anna has no need for privacy... It makes me furious.

• Love 17

Duggars really need a good PR/spin doctor.  They certainly would have advised them to find a place for Anna and Ms and not put them in the girls' dorm.   Josh and Anna had a house they had to get rid of probably to protect if Josh is sued.  It is mind boggling that they think that is ok.

I remember something about selling their house for $10, but I need someone to explain how that protects them from being sued. They lost all the value unless it was a sham sale and that would be fraud, wouldn't it? Thanks in advance for any help understanding this :)?
  • Love 1

What exactly were they baking at Sierra's house? It looked like such a mish mash of random shit. I wonder how much of the girls' hair ended up in the food. The Duggars are OSHA's worst nightmare.

I remember something about selling their house for $10, but I need someone to explain how that protects them from being sued. They lost all the value unless it was a sham sale and that would be fraud, wouldn't it? Thanks in advance for any help understanding this :)?

They sold it to a trust set up by a friend of Boob's. It doesn't necessarily protect them from being sued, but it protects them from losing that asset because they no longer technically own it. At least that's my understanding.

• Love 5

It's just so telling that Boob doesn't even trust Anna to live with her kids in the damn pool house, which is apparently yet another Duggar thoroughfare, as well as used for taping those infernal TH segments. 

It's pathetic that he trusts her that little. I mean, she could still show up at the TTH for meals; what other expenses does she have these days beyond diapers for Meredith? We know that Boob is already paying all the utilities at the pool house, so really, what's the harm of letting Anna live there and gain at least SOME autonomy as she tries to sort out her hot mess of a life?

• Love 15

I actually think showing affection in front of your kids is great. A kiss, a hug, even a little slap on the butt - alright. But JB will straight up grind on Michelle! Not to mention, he turns around and makes his kids stare at the ground when they wake, so they don't accidentally see a woman's shoulder. Mixed messages! No wonder those kids are so stunted and confused. 

Especially since that's only one of dozens and dozens and dozens of things they routinely do that stunt and confuse people.

• Love 3

It's less noticeable for Jill to abandon her Spanish lessons if it's in the privacy of her own home.  Even if the class is only a few students, it's still fairly public.  She can't take that chance. 

Maybe Derrick actually prefers to be the only one speaking Spanish, as that would keep him in control of everything, even minor things like shopping.  I've known some unbelievable control freaks that never came off that way to most people.  Maybe Derrick is hiding that.  

• Love 6

It's just so telling that Boob doesn't even trust Anna to live with her kids in the damn pool house, which is apparently yet another Duggar thoroughfare, as well as used for taping those infernal TH segments. 

It's pathetic that he trusts her that little. I mean, she could still show up at the TTH for meals; what other expenses does she have these days beyond diapers for Meredith? We know that Boob is already paying all the utilities at the pool house, so really, what's the harm of letting Anna live there and gain at least SOME autonomy as she tries to sort out her hot mess of a life?

This is what's wrong. He's a lunatic control freak. No one is allowed to have autonomy. I suppose the ones that married in might think they're due some. But in Jim Bob's "mind" (I use the term loosely), no one is. He really should be stopped. Should have been stopped decades ago. But instead he's glorified by a tv network. And years worth of morning tv programs and magazine articles that describe him as "conservative' and "devout." Pure bullshit. Poisonous bullshit, too.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 16

what's the harm of letting Anna live there and gain at least SOME autonomy as she tries to sort out her hot mess of a life?

You just answered your own question.  

ETA: Nice cross-post, Churchhoney!  *LOL*

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 5

It's less noticeable for Jill to abandon her Spanish lessons if it's in the privacy of her own home.  Even if the class is only a few students, it's still fairly public.  She can't take that chance. 

Maybe Derrick actually prefers to be the only one speaking Spanish, as that would keep him in control of everything, even minor things like shopping.  I've known some unbelievable control freaks that never came off that way to most people.  Maybe Derrick is hiding that.  

Or maybe Jill is so handicapped by her upbringing that she's scared shitless of doing things like making an effort to speak Spanish to others, even though people with more normal upbringings don't think that's such a huge deal. To someone who's never gone on her own to a grocery store in her own home town, I expect it's a very very big deal indeed. No need to put this onto Derick, as far as I can see. Jill has been utterly warped and damaged by her parents. I expect that Derick's main crime is that he fell for JB and M's crap and married Jill without realizing her stunting and her damage.

• Love 18

Once again, channel surfing on Sunday evening and stopped on TLC long enough to hear Anna say she was fully aware of Josh's molestations prior to their marriage. At the time Joshgate 1 was unfolding, I remember Anna being quoted as saying she knew beforehand. Somehow, I assumed she heard a glossed over version, if anything at all, and Josh openly telling Anna's parents never rang true.

However, last night Anna clearly stated she knew what had happened and the police report did not provide any new details.

I will take her at her word. What the hell is wrong with her parents? I'm sorry, even if raised in their belief system hearing a prospective partner confess such details would have sent me running regardless of my what my parents said. She was young and naive, but come on.

Anna saw Josh as royalty and was greedy. She couldn't  wait to make baby after baby with him and will likely have more. The lifestyle she seemed to love carrying designer purses, driving a Hummer, etc was all based on a wobbly foundation. Anna was and is arrogant, still seeing her marriage trouble as a betrayal to Christians.

I don't feel sorry for Anna.  She claims she knew nothing of what was going on. Maybe...but had she been paying any attention when M4 was announced she would have known Pig Josh was not happy about the news.

• Love 12

Learning in general seems to be against their religion. Because if you learn things, especially critical thinking skills, you are more likely to realize that their cult is a lie and Gothard is wearing no clothes.

We can't have that, can we.

Proscriptive religious organizations rely on herd mentality and argue against learning anything because it can diminish faith. I actually had a relative tell me this, that kids should never go to college.

"Gothard is wearing no clothes," just became the single nastiest mental image I've ever had. Thanks for that!

:-)

• Love 8

I wonder how the focus on the young adults will affect the apparent main audience (not the hate watchers) of the show. Seems to me that many people were attracted by its being such a "wholesome' show about a big family that made them feel warm and fuzzy and the antics of the many many young kids that made them laugh. That it was a show that they felt good having young kids watch because it was so "wholesome' and "godly" but also fun and interesting because it was fun to see them packing 20 people for trips and so on.

Will these same people be as enamored of a show about one baby eating an avocado and two idiots installing bed skirts and valances? ... Not to mention Anna talking about saving her marriage to a child-molesting cheater accused of violence against a sex worker? ....

Wonder how that possible??? change of focus will affect the show's standings with the leghumpers when they begin the new full season of    Jill and Jessa (But Not Really)  in 2016?

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 9

They just make me sick. 

I don't think Anna was pressured into marrying Josh. I think, in Fundieland, Josh and his lifestyle was the equivalent of a rock star's. I can picture Anna and other girls her age going to those week-long family events and watching Josh from afar and dreaming of marrying him someday, like a bunch of groupies at a concert. Anna, who grew up poor as dirt in a tiny trailer, saw the lifestyle of the rich and famous when she looked at the Duggars, and she wanted to be a part of that.
  • Love 13