Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E11: GeekMyTree, Beard Head, Lovepop, PiperWai

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

The Sharks hear pitches appropriate for the holiday season; two Philadelphia women demonstrate their all-natural deodorant made from activated charcoal; and Daymond John holds a workshop featuring special guest chef Rocco DiSpirito. Also: a high-tech way to deck the halls; whimsical knit hats; and a line of pop-up greeting cards.

Since the Beard Heads are handknit, does David have a squad of septuagenarians in a back room somewhere cranking out his designs? He should partner with Sarah Oliver Bags and they could have their captives knit Beard Head Bags or some other idiotic product.

So they feature another knit product that annoys me and I hate.  This is #3 so far this season, including the shrunk sweater "rescue" product and Sarah O.

• Love 7

I also was surprised that no one spoke up about the deodorant claims. I happen to like natural non-aluminum deodorants for skin sensitivity issues but the whole Alzheimer's / cancer toss away remark really put me off the product.

• Love 2

That was kind of a strange episode; I wonder about the editing.  Mark turned down the deodorant young women (ha ha, I almost said "girls")  because they were not "self 'aware" - but as far as i remember, nobody mentioned their returning customer rate, which would either support or disprove their belief in their product.  In any event, I had to laugh when Lori was presenting herself as such an accommodating partner (with majority control!) - ask the Bantam Bagel folks how easy she was to work with.

I figured Kevin was desperate to  make a deal, any deal, when he offered the tree light guy a deal, but then I thought about it some more.  That guy did not seem to me to be any type of entrepreneur at all - he has one (highly unnecessary and hugely expensive product), with no ideas about how to expand his product line  other than by adding music. Maybe its us, but there is NO WAY IN THE WORLD we would spend $500 for some X-mas tree lights, even if you can control them through an app, rather than the remote the programmable ones usually come with.  I also thought they were ugly, and unimaginative lights.  If he had presented it as a lighting product for events, on the other hand, it might have made more sense to me.  Perhaps that was what Kevin had in mind (adding lights to his wedding packages).

The only one of the Daymond products I remember at all is the Bomba socks, and that's only because (I think) they were a recent update, and I checked out the socks as a possible X-mas gift for my husband.  They seemed nice, but too expensive.  I have no idea what the other ones were, and I'm a pretty regular watcher.

• Love 2

I figured Kevin was desperate to  make a deal, any deal, when he offered the tree light guy a deal, but then I thought about it some more.  That guy did not seem to me to be any type of entrepreneur at all - he has one (highly unnecessary and hugely expensive product), with no ideas about how to expand his product line  other than by adding music. Maybe its us, but there is NO WAY IN THE WORLD we would spend $500 for some X-mas tree lights, even if you can control them through an app, rather than the remote the programmable ones usually come with.  I also thought they were ugly, and unimaginative lights.  If he had presented it as a lighting product for events, on the other hand, it might have made more sense to me.  Perhaps that was what Kevin had in mind (adding lights to his wedding packages).

The idea of selling them for events is a good one, maybe sell them to restaurants or something. Because otherwise it sounds like a horrible idea, I don't know anyone who would spend hundreds of dollars on lights alone.  And I can't even imagine most people wanting light designs on their trees, wouldn't it get annoying to look at? Maybe for outside, but again, not at that price.

I thought those deodorant girls were annoying and were going to blow it by not taking either deal, but I guess it worked out for them. Even if Barbara only went down to beat Lori.

• Love 1

I hate to tell bulb guy this, but I have had lights that do the same thing that his do, and for a helluva lot less money. Years ago I bought 10 strands of those big old-fashioned bulb lights, which have a control box that let you adjust which pattern: speedy, rotate, fade, all one color at the same time, etc. I bought them at a yard sale for $10, but they probably retailed for less than $10 each.

• Love 1

Deodorant deal:  After Barbara's proposal of $50k for 33% of the company, Lori popped up with an offer of $50k for 35% of the company.  The way she said it, like she was really pulling a fast one on Barbara, reminded me of those idiot contestants on "The Price is Right", where they want to bid $1 over the previous contestant, but accidently bid $1 under, and then try to pass it off as "confidence".  Lori is the worst!

Kevin was on fire tonight!  He ended his long dry spell by getting 2 deals.  The Christmas light company didn't sound like such a good idea, but those pop-up greeting cards were really cool.  Plus, he was right; it will work seamlessly with his other wedding-oriented businesses he's assembled.

I thought the knit beard guy was going to get a deal with Robert for sure.  It's a silly product, but Robert's already made a mint with his ugly sweater company.  he can take what he's learned there and apply it all to this guy's company.  Robert going out on that deal was weird.

• Love 3

Robert going out on that deal was weird.

Really! He could have had some hat things to coordinate with the sweaters and do a crossover thing. I think he missed the boat by not jumping on that one. Yes, sales are flat, but he could turn that around.

• Love 1

The Lovepop cards are gorgeous; their website is nice too. I think they could make a killing custom making cards for large corporations for special events, holiday parties, retirements, etc.

With the price of a very average Hallmark card at $3-$5, while $13 for a card is by no means cheap, they truly are a work of art and would make a nice keepsake to mark a special occasion.

• Love 5

I must be getting old, but I didn't remember a single product or company from Daymond's group update. Can someone help my fading memory?

I only remembered Bombas socks and that might have been because of the recent mention on a past episode.  I was wondering who those companies were as well and trying to figure if I had missed a bunch of episodes a few seasons back.

Really! He could have had some hat things to coordinate with the sweaters and do a crossover thing. I think he missed the boat by not jumping on that one. Yes, sales are flat, but he could turn that around.

Apparently, Robert and Kevin have seen a similar pitch some years back on Dragons' Den by "Beardowear", so that may have caused some strong hesitation by Robert.  I was wondering about this as well but this product may be on the downside of the trend.

As others have mentioned, I was surprised to see Geek My Tree get a deal.  I was pretty sure he was leaving without an offer due to the ridiculous price and strong competitive market.  

While the natural market is crowded, I think the deodorant ladies may be able to develop a niche market.  Interesting that Barbara was motivated by beating Lori and not necessarily working with the ladies.  I will look forward to an update on this one.

Lovepop was very active on social media during the episode so I was aware of the company before the pitch.  Not surprised they got a deal but I am pretty sure I am not their customer.  Nice product though.

• Love 1

I liked the beard hats - seem like a fun thing to have around for certain occasions. I'd like to have one in the colors of my favorite college football team, for tailgating and "big" games. I went to their website during their presentation and it had crashed due to all the activity. I'll try to remember to go back and check it out.

I thought Beard Heads would have been great for any outdoor football games along with NHL games that are played in the stadium series. I mean people strip down and plaster themselves with body paint in team colours in frigid weather. I've seen worse ideas to support your teams than this.

Love pop is expensive but they were beautiful cards. If Kevin can get them into wedding game, they would make a fortune.

• Love 5

Really Damon? "Rocco DeSpirito is ACTUALLY GOING TO COOK FOR US?"

Please, Rocco will cook for anyone. He'd cook for my dog if he got the chance.

That guy has been on every show, cooking his crappy meals. He's nothing special, and such a famewhore. I bet he'll have a special meal at Old Country Buffet or whatever that place is called in the future.

Eta: any facial hair is dirty and gross to me, and there's no way I'd buy a knit one for any guy or kid.

Edited by Shelby
  • Love 11

Dear Kevin, Don't say artesian when you mean artisinal. And strictly speaking, those cards aren't artisanal either, they're just fancy. Laser cut patterns assembled in a factory (not that there's anything wrong with that) is not really artisanal. Kevin's determination to squeeze every last ounce of blood from the wedding couple turnip seems pretty loathsome to me, but I'm not a fan of the wedding industrial complex.

I think criticism of the deordorant ladies' cancer claim (which I agree is unfounded) was headed off by the "demo friend." Once somebody brings up their cancer survivor mom, it's pretty hard to say "Isn't this cancer connection hogwash" right to her face. Barbara seemed to go into that deal for all the wrong reasons.

The beard thing is a faddish gag gift people wear once and never again, The mustaches part seems like a snot magnet too.

I have no idea why those lights were so expensive. I wonder if he originally designed them for outdoor, all weather use and never scaled back the design for indoor? Also the "professionally synchronized" light show to music did not look impressive to me at all.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 4

Dear Kevin, Don't say artesian when you mean artisinal. And strictly speaking, those cards aren't artisanal either, they're just fancy. Laser cut patterns assembled in a factory (not that there's anything wrong with that) is not really artisanal. Kevin's determination to squeeze every last ounce of blood from the wedding couple turnip seems pretty loathsome to me, but I'm not a fan of the wedding industrial complex.

Honestly, this is one of those rare instances where I think Kevin was the better deal.  I'm not a fan of big mortage-the-house type of weddings either, but this is one of the few products on the market--and certainly that have been pitched on Shark Tank--that wasn't straight-up tacky.  I was afraid for a minute that the couple was going to pick Robert because of him saying that he liked their business model, but I think they made the wiser choice.

Also, those cards were gorgeous.

I wanted to throw something at the Christmas lights guy when he said he wanted to bring his lights into every home in America.  Yeah, I get that it was hyperbole, but given that there's a fair portion of America that doesn't celebrate Christmas, and an even bigger portion that couldn't afford $500 lights...Also, why spend all that money on something no one is going to see?  To my annoyance, my neighborhood is kind of renowned for its Christmas lights displays, but at least with those you get lookie-lous from all over coming in to see them.  Unless you're bringing people into your home, that tree is going to be for your family and your family alone, and after about ten minutes it would give me a migraine anyway.

There are many of fine reasons to prefer natural products, but I wish shows like this wouldn't give a platform for people to spout their bullshit about how bad artificial stuff is for you.  In the past, Mark has been pretty willing to call it out, and I was disappointed that we didn't get to hear that this time.  Also, I continue to hate how Lori--and only Lori--calls Barbara "Barb."  You're not girlfriends out for martinis.

Take a drink every time Robert says Tipsy Elves.  Oh, now you're dead of alcohol poisoning.

• Love 10
I thought the knit beard guy was going to get a deal with Robert for sure.  It's a silly product, but Robert's already made a mint with his ugly sweater company.  he can take what he's learned there and apply it all to this guy's company.  Robert going out on that deal was weird.

I would bet Robert thinks he can just create a similar product with his sweater guys, especially since much was made about the guy not being able to patent his designs. They already have ties to knitting manufacturers and a bigger brand name. Watch the Tipsy Elves catalog for woolen beards. ;-)

• Love 4

I know I've beaten the "hand-knit" horse to death, but with the ridic Beard Hats, I just can't see how something that gets so little use will be able to sustain and grow sales.  It's a novelty, worn on occasion.  At least with the Sarah Oliver Exploitation Bags, women could use them consistantly through the cold months before changing out to another bag. 

Those hat "beard" fringes are going to get knotted, nasty and fuzzy with just a few wearings, especially with the kids versions.  And honestly, the knitting community has been seeing these novelty type patterns for years.  Nothing new.  There's a reason they haven't caught on big before.      

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 2

I would not be a millionaire/billionaire for very long if I was on the show with Lori, because I, too, unsmartly enough, would over/under bid her at every opportunity to keep her from getting another tchotchke for her Bed, Bath and Beyond collection.

Also, Kevin and deals! Who thought that was even still possible in this universe?

Tipsy Elves, Tipsy Elves, Tipsy Elves! Can that be said enough?

• Love 1

I would not be a millionaire/billionaire for very long if I was on the show with Lori, because I, too, unsmartly enough, would over/under bid her at every opportunity to keep her from getting another tchotchke for her Bed, Bath and Beyond collection.

If I didn't think it would negatively impact the inventors, I'd go into BB&B and hide their entire stock of "Scrub Daddies" and "Reader Rests" in random boxes.  I dislike her that much. 

• Love 5

If I didn't think it would negatively impact the inventors, I'd go into BB&B and hide their entire stock of "Scrub Daddies" and "Reader Rests" in random boxes. I dislike her that much.

You'd have to find them (scrub daddies) first. I was at a Bed Bath and Beyond a few weeks ago and three sales people had no idea where they were. Finally found them on our own, on the second floor, in the cleaning supply section. Gone are the days when there was a huge Scrub Daddy display you couldn't avoid. Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 3

Re the deoderant, I use, and I think most people use, an antiperspirant or combined antiperspirant/deoderant. There's nothing appealing about wet armpits and wet rings on clothing, odorless as they might be, so I can't see this product succeeding. I was surprised no one made this point.

• Love 2

Grrrrr. I'm pissed off about how no shark called bullshit on deodorant women's claim of deodorant causing Alzheimers & cancer. The sharks should have ripped them a new one.

This one threw me a bit. I didn't think they were claiming it causes cancer, nor did celebrityish endorser say it did. Just that it's a known thing that many breast cancer patients avoid traditional antiperspirants.

My knowledge of the topic is purely from knowing people who have had breast cancer and what they've said/done but I was led to believe this was more of a "if you've already had cancer, avoid X" scenarios, not that it increases one's risk of getting cancer in general. I actually know cancer survivors whose doctors told them to avoid deodorant after treatment, although this was about 10 years ago. So it is possible it was more of an at the time "there might be a connection here but studies are inconclusive so BLAH" and since then it's been leaning more in the direction of "nope, not a connection". It also wasn't clear to me if perhaps the issue were one of post-surgery/drains/catheter/whatever that the doctor didn't want them to use deodorant, rather than any suspicion that it would cause more cancer. I don't know the reasoning given, but I do know the directive at the time did come from an MD.

So, while on the one hand companies who thrive on the ignorance of sick people are not my cup of tea, on the other hand depending on what they were or were not claiming, it may simply be a matter of "we know there is a market of people who want this". If they're not promoting fake science, just aware of people maybe interested in them because of concerns over a hypothesis that may have since been debunked, it's more grey.

• Love 3

Also, I think they said antiperspirant use has been "linked" to Alzheimer's, but that has definitely been disproven. I wouldn't buy it for that reason alone, but also because I don't like wet armpits.

She definitely cited a bogus link between deodorant and Alzheimer's. Except she pronounced it All-timers. I rewound 3 times to listen to how she said it. I guess maybe there's a link between deodorant and some mysterious condition called Alltimers.

• Love 1

What was weird about the beard head guys was that they upfront admitted they are not the only people doing that idea. There's no patent or anything on it.

When asked "What makes you different?", they replied "Well, we started first in 2009." But that's all we heard about what differentiates them. I don't know many consumers who go around picking one competitor over the other because one was around longer. Doesn't make much difference in 2015.

If that was the case, we'd all prefer Hydrox over their imitators Oreo.

• Love 3

You'd have to find them (scrub daddies) first. I was at a Bed Bath and Beyond a few weeks ago and three sales people had no idea where they were. Finally found them on our own, on the second floor, in the cleaning supply section. Gone are the days when there was a huge Scrub Daddy display you couldn't avoid.

My wife bought me a DropStop (another Lori product), and she had the same problem at BB&B when she went to look for one. A staff member had to pull one from the back when there were none to be found on the floor, and at first they didn't even know what she was talking about. The packaging was also pretty terrible.

My local BB & B in bumfuck Kansas has a huge display of scrub daddies in different colors and in 3 packs. Can't miss them. I actually like them.

We got the three-pack as well, though I have no idea how I'm supposed to use it. Do I treat it like a regular sponge? And if so, what does it do that my 'regular' sponge doesn't???? This much thought should NEVER be applied to the 'uses of a sponge!'

Edited by woodscommaelle

I don't consider scrub daddies sponges. A sponge is something I used to use in a drier climate to wash dishes. The daddies are for tougher things like shower floors and doors or tubs.

Well, if they'd changed the name to Drop Stuffins like she'd suggested...

Ha, true. Me and my wife were surprised that they didn't spell it "Stuffinz" with the bagels. It seemed appropriate, considering how ridiculous the name is.

Full disclosure: I did NOT read through all the episode threads to see if this has been mentioned before.

Is "so" the new "um"?

Why is it when a shark asks an entrepreneur a question, 90% of the time their answer begins with the word "So"?

If we were to start a drinking game over the use of the word "so" at the beginning of a sentence by the entrepreneurs, we'd all be drunk before the first commercial break.

I began noticing this about halfway through last season, and it appears to have gotten worse.

"What percentage of your sales are repeat customers?"

"So, out of $500,000 in sales......"

"How did you develop this product?"

"So, me and my bros were all sitting around drunk one night....."

"What are your margins?"

"So......"

Stop the madness!

• Love 5

Full disclosure: I did NOT read through all the episode threads to see if this has been mentioned before.

Is "so" the new "um"?

Why is it when a shark asks an entrepreneur a question, 90% of the time their answer begins with the word "So"?

If we were to start a drinking game over the use of the word "so" at the beginning of a sentence by the entrepreneurs, we'd all be drunk before the first commercial break.

I began noticing this about halfway through last season, and it appears to have gotten worse.

"What percentage of your sales are repeat customers?"

"So, out of $500,000 in sales......"

"How did you develop this product?"

"So, me and my bros were all sitting around drunk one night....."

"What are your margins?"

"So......"

Stop the madness!

I noticed this a couple of years ago, not just on Shark Tank, but other shows as well. Used to drive me batty until I accepted that So is the new Um.

If I didn't think it would negatively impact the inventors, I'd go into BB&B and hide their entire stock of "Scrub Daddies" and "Reader Rests" in random boxes.  I dislike her that much. 

I have both those products!   I am on my 3rd pack of scrub daddies, they are so cool.  Why do you dislike Laurie?  

I like them all, together they make a good show.  

ask the Bantam Bagel folks how easy she was to work with.

Oh please tell me what happened here, mjc

Starbucks is now selling bagel balls.  I wonder if they are from Bantam.  If I recall they had a patent on them, right?  

I am with you Leighdear, enough with the knitted things.  They are dumb and not a company.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1

I have both those products!   I am on my 3rd pack of scrub daddies, they are so cool.  Why do you dislike Laurie?  

For what it's worth, I use a reader rest & have used scrub daddies too.  Both good products and nice inventors.

I can't remember when Lori started irritating the crap out of me, but maybe in the last 2 seasons or so?  Something about her "It's a zero, not a hero", and other trite phrases, plus her need every episode to drag out how many patents she has.  The the "Stuffins" insistence with the bagel folks just pushed me over the edge into full-on dislike for her.  

• Love 2

Starbucks is now selling bagel balls. I wonder if they are from Bantam. If I recall they had a patent on them, right?

I think the Starbucks ones are supposed to be from Bantam, but, either way, you can't patent a food. David Chang (of Momofuku) was complaining about the existence of the bagel balls because he sells a similar product at his Milk Bar shops, but he definitely wasn't the first to create them (nor was Bantam). I've been eating bagel balls since I was a kid. I grew up in Miami and used to go to a bagel shop that sold stuffed bagel balls with different flavored bagels and different flavored cream cheese. They actually called them Bagel Balls. Edited by marny
  • Love 1

For what it's worth, I use a reader rest & have used scrub daddies too.  Both good products and nice inventors.

I can't remember when Lori started irritating the crap out of me, but maybe in the last 2 seasons or so?  Something about her "It's a zero, not a hero", and other trite phrases, plus her need every episode to drag out how many patents she has.  The the "Stuffins" insistence with the bagel folks just pushed me over the edge into full-on dislike for her.  

They all irritate me from time to time.  My favorite is Mark and I like Daymond, too.  Kevin, well no need to comment, he is an ass but integral to my enjoyment.  Barbara can be a royal bitch but I enjoy her interest in food.  I love Richard but he just does not know how to close a deal!    I have been watching this for years but never thought to come here and post about it.  Not sure why?  LOL!

• Love 1

Dear Kevin, Don't say artesian when you mean artisinal.

This! Kevin, what do these products have to do with wells?

And I am a Christmas freak,  like a put 13 strands of lights up in my 800 square foot main floor other than the ones on my tree Christmas freak. When I get those strands that want to blink all the damn time, my first task is to make. them. stop. Lights that sing songs and blink in time would send me right around the bend.