Type keyword(s) to search

General Gabbery: DWTS

• Start Topic

Pasha :) they really missed the boat on not bringing him on! And he was totally under appreciated on SYTYCD !

And the finale pro dancers haven't done ballroom yet, just the same Beyonce stuff!

Whoops I spoke too soon!!! Finally beautiful gowns and ballroom!!

Edited by Packerbrewerbadger

Now that the season is over, what did you guys think of it overall?

I didn't anticipate at the beginning enjoying this season as much as I would. I always like when there's real competition and a wealth of good/entertaining dancers who rise to the top (Season 8 is another one where I feel all the finalists were really good dancers). It felt a little fresh too. Even though I'll always watch the show, the past few seasons have felt a little stale/saddled down compared to this one.

I'm wondering what Season 20/the 10th anniversary has in store for us. I can't imagine another All-Stars so soon. It'll be weird to see the show without Cheryl (and possibly Derek?).

Pasha :) they really missed the boat on not bringing him on! And he was totally under appreciated on SYTYCD!

Agreed! Though I'm glad he's on SCD, I would have loved to see him on DWTS. Though I'm afraid he would have been like Dmitry and a little more reserved and maybe not as appreciated. And they seem to dispose of SYTYCD Pros pretty quickly.

Edited by twizzwhizz11

Should this be in a season 20 thread??

Anywho. As I mentioned in Charlotte's thread, I watched the rehearsal (well, missed the first few minutes).

When I first heard they were airing the rehearsals I pictured it as us being able to check in any time, which seemed incredibly invasive, but that's not what they're doing so far. They schedule an hour, the people are well aware it's being live streamed, and it was very enjoyable.

I like this idea! I hope it stays low key like this (say, one hour a week for a given couple might work well).

• Love 1
And lest any of you doubt that Riker is a Hough through and through:

It took me far too long to realize there weren't two pictures of Derek and Nastia when I was scrolling through. Even the dresses were similar enough that it didn't stand out to me as different people.

• Love 1
(edited)

I find comparing Val and Derek's shots to be quite interesting.

Some unsubtle symmetry there, yeah? I actually find myself interested in those two couples, and likely they've already got tickets to the finale, but I'm really hoping one or two of the celeb guys pull through as a great dancer and/or entertainer so it's not just the Derek vs. Val show all season. (And saying that as a fan of both.) 

I'm really hoping for Noah/Sharna. (And they look promising in photos.) Or maybe Redfoo can be unexpected and fun. I'm hoping for Michael Sam too, but just judging from his official cast portrait, he seems like he might end up being on the awkward end of the football player dancer spectrum. 

Edited by kitcloudkicker

For anyone who likes statistics, I have posted a historical analysis for the Season 20 field.  No real surprises, but seeing how RedFoo is the 2nd oldest male celeb this season, and past the historical age prime at 39, I'm being reminded of the unrealistic expectation for Pamela & Tristan prior to All-Stars.  RedFoo may be young for Emma, but he's not really young for DWTS.  Alfonso was an exception last season.  Still competitive at 42, and the 2nd-3rd youngest male in a field of 7.

• Love 2

Nice comparison chart, but one oversight: in the embedded spreadsheet you've got Willow paired with Artem this season, not Mark.

It's interesting that all these factors actually put Willow just a bit above Rumer. I doubt that's how it'll play out in reality, but it's interesting that the possibility and the precedent are there.

Edited by McManda

From the episode thread:

While not necessarily the place to get into it, there were always rumors about Cheryl getting help with her choreography.

OTOH, wasn't that a problem once with Emmy nominations? Louis, Derek and Mark all got Emmy noms for their work and it was fine (making me assume that they all do their own stuff or acknowledge otherwise...not that that's much of a surprise...). Cheryl was nominated as well once and then it came out that she didn't do Drew's freestyle or something?

Well I didn't want to say it but yeah that's immediately what came to mind. Years ago, when Cheryl was nominated for the Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy freestyle, there was some kerfuffle about her not choreographing the dance on her own but only her name was on the nominee's ballot. I can't remember the person who claimed to help but I do think the guy came forward or at least was public about the fact that he helped and he wasn't also nominated. Now obviously this was a long time ago so I doubt that's the only thing Louis is referring to.

I don't think this was a secret, though. Val mentioned in an interview during Sharna's first season as pro that she's his muse when it comes to dancing and his go to when he needs help.

Hmm, interesting, I wasn't aware of that and I wonder how many viewers are unless they are Val's fans who follow his media closely. It was also strongly believed that Val was the one who was getting helped by Mandy Moore last season for his freestyle. And it's interesting that Louis' gripe seems to be about the judges praising people's choreography when they may not have done all the work since the only person whose choreography was explicitly praised in the first two shows has been Val. For the record, I'm not pointing fingers, just saying.

However, I'm with others that there is definitely a strong stench of sour grapes coming from Louis. I love his whole "I have the balls to say who is getting helped but won't because it's not my place to throw people under the bus...", so why even bring it up then? And then suggesting viewers pay attention to figure out for themselves and all that. I just think the whole thing is really unnecessary.

I do think if someone is significantly helped on a dance that gets Emmy nominated, the person who helps them should be credited but if the person who helped doesn't care about their name being on the ballot then who I am or others to get upset on their behalf? I just think all of this stuff just leads to more nastiness online between fans of different Pros and there's enough of that already over such a silly show. And now I realize that this conversation is off-topic and should be taken to General Gabbery.

Edited by truthaboutluv

However, I'm with others that there is definitely a strong stench of sour grapes coming from Louis. I love his whole "I have the balls to say it but won't because it's not my place to throw people under the bus...", so why even bring it up then? And then suggesting viewers pay attention to figure out for themselves and all that. I just think the whole thing is really unnecessary.

No question it's sour grapes. The way Louis talked it up all the way to a couple days before the cast reveal and then just went silent speaks volumes. He was probably going to be in Derek's spot. Why else would Rob Wade & Co. bring up old pros coming back and then proceed to only bring back Kym? Unless you count the All Access show which Anna has been doing instead of Lacey this season.

By Louis not throwing anyone under the bus, isn't he throwing all of them under the bus? Either, as he says, have the balls to name names or don't say anything. It is not fair to cast a negative light on everyone. Unless that was his intention all along.

• Love 4

Maks also commented that Val worked with an assistant to come up with his cheorgaphy, unlike Maks who created on his celeb. I just took that to mean Val created it before the show and taught it to his celeb. That's how most cheorgaphers work. Those assistants don't get a Co cheorgaphy credit and aren't presented with any marquee banner or award that might be presented. They do get credited with an assistant choergapher billing.

• Love 1

Maks shows up in rehearsal studio photos enough lately that it's a safe assumption that he's helping somebody. Val and Peta would be my guess.

I would assume that since the flap about Cheryl in 2006, the producers are careful about which routines they submit to the nominating committee. I don't know how to find out which routines were submitted, but these are the pros that have received nominations since 2006, some several times:

Derek, Julianne, Mark, Chelsie, Louis. And maybe Allison, but didn't see her name. In 2006, Tony and Nick were also nominated.

I kind of figured Sharna got Noah because she is able to adjust choreography for him. 

And maybe Allison, but didn't see her name.

Alison was nominated with Derek the year he won. He had two nominations that year, one for just his solo work and another with Alison for all the results show performances they did together.

And to add: choreography and performing talent are not always directly related, but both are valuable to the show. I would argue that performing talent is the most important.

I'm sure all of the Pros are capable of creating a ballroom/latin routine. The confidence to create a routine that will entertain and thrill an audience of millions? Maybe not so much.

Maks also commented that Val worked with an assistant to come up with his cheorgaphy, unlike Maks who created on his celeb. I just took that to mean Val created it before the show and taught it to his celeb. That's how most cheorgaphers work. Those assistants don't get a Co cheorgaphy credit and aren't presented with any marquee banner or award that might be presented. They do get credited with an assistant choergapher billing.

My understanding on Val has always been is that he is the overly prepared type.  I'm not sure I would say he has an assistant so much as he usually has one female pro/troupe member that he uses to run/create choreography for his celeb.  I don't think he's capable of choreographing on the celeb the way both Maks and Derek do.  Who Val uses to help with choreography depends on the season.  I have no idea what he is doing this season, but he used Jenna in S18 and he used to use Oksana when she was in the troupe as well.  I think he might have used Oksana at times last season. Maybe he's back to Jenna this season?  He probably used Sharna at one time as well, at least until she had her own celebs.

IMO there is no doubt that Val does most of his own choreo, and I personally think he's a much stronger choreographer than Maks, so I don't really buy that Maks is there to help Val with choreo.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 1

Maks shows up in rehearsal studio photos enough lately that it's a safe assumption that he's helping somebody. Val and Peta would be my guess.

I would assume that since the flap about Cheryl in 2006, the producers are careful about which routines they submit to the nominating committee. I don't know how to find out which routines were submitted, but these are the pros that have received nominations since 2006, some several times:

Derek, Julianne, Mark, Chelsie, Louis. And maybe Allison, but didn't see her name. In 2006, Tony and Nick were also nominated.

I kind of figured Sharna got Noah because she is able to adjust choreography for him. 

I think Maks is just hanging around the studio because he doesn't have much else to do (and I say this as a Maks fan). I think it's possible that he is coming in and looking at Val or Peta's dances and offering advice like he did in that one Janel and Val rehearsal package last season but I doubt that he is actively choreographing much.

When they talked about this stuff on Afterbuzz last week, Anna specifically mentioned Mark, Derek and Val as current pros who she implied do it all themselves. In talking about the past she said that Louis, Maks, Tony (I think) and Jonathan used to trade off choreographing the intro group numbers and that she would offer her input sometimes. 

Wasn't there some talk that Karina helped Peta quite a bit with her freestyle in Donald Driver's season or am I getting cowboy themed freestyles mixed up and actually thinking of Cheryl and Drew?

Tom tweeted about the standalone 10th anniversary special and mentioned seeing some past favorites. I know Anna and Tristan have been rehearsing something together (don't know if it's DWTS-related). I hope we do get to see a lot of pros come back for the special.

• Love 1

For those placing their bets this week here's the latest betting odds: 

Dancing With The Stars Season 20 - Odds to Win
All wagers have action.
7:00p
Nastia Liukin
10/11 
Rumer Willis
3/1 
Riker Lynch
6/1 
Willow Shields
10/1 
Michael Sam
20/1 
Noah Galloway
20/1 
Robert Herjavec
20/1 
Chris Soules
50/1 
Suzanne Somers
50/1 
Patti LaBelle

100/1

Dancing With The Stars Season 20 - Odds to Win  Week 5 
All wagers have action.

Nastia Liukin
10/11 
Willow Shields
3/1 
Rumer Willis
7/2 
Riker Lynch
12/1 
Robert Herjavec
12/1 
Noah Galloway
33/1 
Suzanne Somers
66/1 
Chris Soules
100/1

Patti LaBelle 

100/1

Anyone know whats up with this? Alfonso and Witney tweeted these earlier tonight:

Back in the studio with @witneycarson for one more dance. Stay tuned. @dancingabc https://instagram.com/p/1W_oB6mE2S/
Back at it once again! The winner himself @alfonso_ribeiro ❤️❤️❤️ pic.twitter.com/CNG6OW2JH4”

I wonder if they're going to start having previous winners dance in honor of the anniversary..

I wonder if they're going to start having previous winners dance in honor of the anniversary..

I think it's for that special anniversary show thing Tom mentioned but curiously I've heard nothing about an actual date for it. ABC put out its official summer schedule with the announcement of the new season of The Bachelorette, Bachelor in Paradise, etc. and it wasn't listed. So I don't know if it's something that will air during the season, like an extra hour.

Broadway.com the site that scoops DWTS this season with their press release put out the Wynn Las Vegas odds at the half way point of the competition. 

http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/Wynn-Las-Vegas-Reveals-Odds-to-Win-ABCs-DANCING-WITH-THE-STARS-20150415

This is the first time we see Rumer at the top of the betting odds. Nastia had been the favorite from pre-season.   

Also Broadway World released next week DWTS press release with songs for each contestant 

http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/Scoop-DANCING-WITH-THE-STARS-on-ABC-Monday-April-20-2015-20150415

Edited by Andiethewestie

Here are the weekly odds, now a very tight race at the top with Rumer now the favorite followed by Nastia, Riker and Willow    

April 20 

All wagers have action.

7:00p
Rumer Willis
5/4 
Nastia Liukin
3/2 
Riker Lynch
5/1 
Willow Shields
6/1 
Robert Herjavec
25/1 
Noah Galloway
33/1 
Chris Soules
100/1 
Patti LaBelle
100/1

Edited by Andiethewestie

From DWTSgossip: 

#DWTS’s schedule for the rest of the season...

Monday, April 20: Spring Break Week 6 (8 to 10:01 p.m.)
Monday, April 27: Eras Night Week 7 (8 to 10:01 p.m.)
Tuesday, April 28: Results Show (8 to 9 p.m.)
Monday, May 4: America's Choice Week 8 (8 to 10:01 p.m.)
Tuesday, May 5: Results Show (8 to 9 p.m.)
Monday, May 11: Semifinals Week 9 (8 to 10:01 p.m.)
Tuesday, May 12: Results Show (8 to 9 p.m.)
Monday, May 18: Finals Week 10 (8 to 9:01 p.m.) *note one-hour time

Tuesday, May 19: Finale Results (9 to 11 p.m.)

http://www.tvweek.com/in-depth/2015/04/abc-announces-may-sweeps-programming/

• Love 3

Is Eras Night supposed to be like the Decades Night they used to do? I remember there being some awesome dances for those. The 50s/surfer/Elvis paso doble Nicole S did comes to mind, as does Joanna Kruppa's Future dance.

Is Eras Night supposed to be like the Decades Night they used to do? I remember there being some awesome dances for those. The 50s/surfer/Elvis paso doble Nicole S did comes to mind, as does Joanna Kruppa's Future dance.

I am assuming it is similar, an era isn't confined to the 10 year span, but could straddle the decades I think, like the War Years (30's-40'), or maybe something like the Era of Mad Men (60'70's) or Punk Rock Era (70's 80's )

Edited by Andiethewestie

I hope Eras Night means just that --- Victorian, Edwardian, etc.  Patti could do La Belle Epoque, and my inner art history nerd would squee with excitement.

Also, I don't want the episode to be another Decades Night because I really, really want them to do a whole episode devoted to the 90s.  They did an 80s night a few years ago, so the 90s are long overdue.

Just because there will be the highly anticipated Anniversary Show coming up in May I thought about what I am interested in seeing again,  and I just think a whole night of  Tango  would suit me fine.  I listed my top 10, hope to see at least some of them in the show.

Gilles and Cheryl      Assassins Tango -Argentine Tango

Season 8 Team Tango -  Lil Kim and Derek,  Ty Murray and Chelsie,  Gilles and Cheryl

Meryl and Val           Too Close Argentine Tango

Nicole and Derek      Gotan Project Argentine Tango 

Jennifer and Derek   La Comprasita Argentine Tango 

Zendaya and Val (with Maks and Anna)  Sherlock Holmes Argentine Tango

William Levy and Cheryl  Buttons   Argentine Tango 

Ricki Lake and Derek   Psycho Tango 

Meryl and Maks            So Close to You Tango 

Hines and Kym              Perhaps Argentine Tango 

Nicole and Derek           Pretty Woman Tango

This show is just making itself up as it goes along. Now the latest word is that instead of a results show and double elimination next Tuesday, there will be 1 elimination on Monday and the 10th Anniversary special will run on Tuesday. It's got to make it a lot harder on the cast, never knowing for sure what is going on.

This show is just making itself up as it goes along. Now the latest word is that instead of a results show and double elimination next Tuesday, there will be 1 elimination on Monday and the 10th Anniversary special will run on Tuesday. It's got to make it a lot harder on the cast, never knowing for sure what is going on.

If that's the case, then I would bet good money Riker or Willow was going to be the second elimination that TPTB are going to save.

Man, this show is such a trainwreck. And yeah, it's gotta be somewhat hellish for the dance couples to have everything change on you every five minutes. I know it's always chaotic, but has it ever been this bad? I don't remember it being this bad before.