Type keyword(s) to search

General Gabbery: DWTS

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, WildFlower87 said:

Agree, they're going overboard with the theme nights. Next week is Janet Jackson night? Seriously? Not looking forward to next weeks episode. 

Tyra Banks is an awful host. The constant costume changes, strutting down the stage very week. This isn't a modeling show. 

Janet Jackson is an improvement over the original theme and I like her music.  I think the original theme for next week was Fashion week.  Tyra would have definitely made that week all about her.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, anonymiss said:

Did I hear correctly and my fave Mark Ballas is coming back to perform next week? Will be great to see him again. Hopefully it won't be cringy with BC Jean's MySpace schtick.

No, they’re performing tonight on the singalong Queen thing.

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

I was poking around on YouTube to find favorite DWTS dances, and I ran across this - Stunning contemporary dance (courtesy of AGT airing in Japan - or is it China?):

The subtitles are in Japanese.

• Useful 1

There is a new movie out in which Karina Smirnoff co-stars.  It's called Tango Shalom.  Here;s the description:

"A Tango dancer and a rabbi develop a plan to enter a dance competition without sacrificing his orthodox beliefs. Family, tolerance, and community are tested one dazzling dance step at a time."

As you may have guessed, Karina does not play the Rabbi (although she is half Jewish) 😄
It is a charming film that is very entertaining and Karina, aside from her dancing skills, gives a very nice performance. The solution that they come up that allows the Rabbi to not violate the tenants of Orthodox Judaism is unique to say the least.   It's available on YouTube for $4.99, Google Play for $3.99, Amazon Prime and Vudu (both a bit more for the rental).

Tango shalom.JPG

• Useful 3

This season has been exciting for me in an interesting way. I usually back someone in the first week or two and  root for them as far as they can go. This year I’ve had different faves over the weeks.

Week 1 - I liked Mel C she came out and did a fun Cha Cha and personality was so much appealing  than when the other Spice Girl Mel B competed and I remembered how she struggled with the votes. However Mel B went further because her dance training really helped her.  

Week 2 it was all Amanda that was great Foxtrot that would have been a 40 if it was later in the season.

Week 3 Olivia came on my radar with a really good Tango. I didn’t want to like it but I couldn’t deny how well she danced. 

Week 4 Melora was excellent on the Quickstep. This became my favourite dance up to Week 4.
On Villians Night I also noted the amazing lifts and timing of Iman”s Argentine Tango. 

Week 5 was Kendra’s Night. That Rumba was so good it should have been a 40

Week 6 Horror Night was an incredible break through for Iman and Daniella 

Week 7 For me Best dance by far was Melora Viennese Waltz relay She should have received all the points. 

Week 8 Even though we could have had more ChaCha reimbursement Iman rhythm Nation was the essence of Janet Jackson. I also loved how well he did against Melora in the dance off. Suni also finally brought some joy to her dancing. 

Overall my favourites going into the Semis are Iman and Melora. And Suni -I’ll be disappointed if any of them goes home. 

• Love 3

Why are they having such lackluster theme nights? I like a few of Michael Bubles songs, but they are not very versatile songs. And again, wish they would have guest judges that know about the technique of ballroom dancing. 

Honestly the only theme night I was excited for was Elvis night. We have seen Disney night many times before,. And I don't understand why there was a James Bond night. Irrelevant!

• Love 2
On 10/22/2022 at 3:07 AM, Milakaren said:

Why are they having such lackluster theme nights? I like a few of Michael Bubles songs, but they are not very versatile songs. And again, wish they would have guest judges that know about the technique of ballroom dancing

In defense of Michael Bublé, his repertoire is probably the best for ballroom dancing.  I'm spit balling here, but I think ballroom dancing will finally take centre stage because of the strict ballroom tempo in Bublé's songs.  He obviously isn't a dancer, but his music really informs him as to how dancers move.  Derek Hough choreographed him on his video for his new song Higher and he learned enough dance to look ok in the video.  He may even do a version of it on the show because it's Argentine Tango moves not being done this week by the contestants and it could show Bublé busting a few moves. That would be kind of cool. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, White Dog said:

In defense of Michael Bublé, his repertoire is probably the best for ballroom dancing.  I'm spit balling here, but I think ballroom dancing will finally take centre stage because of the strict ballroom tempo in Bublé's songs.  He obviously isn't a dancer, but his music really informs him as to how dancers move.  Derek Hough choreographed him on his video for his new song Higher and he learned enough dance to look ok in the video.  He may even do a version of it on the show because it's Argentine Tango moves not being done this week by the contestants and it could show Bublé busting a few moves. That would be kind of cool. 

That video is nice and yes, other Buble songs would be good for ballroom.