Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Evil Handmade Instrument

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Well, again this show surprises me by having Jamie Alexander speak Russian.  That could not have been easy, so cheers to her.  Subtitles could have been darker, though.  Also, cheers to her with that torture scene.

Even in grief, Tech Girl is amazing with her analysis.  But she's emotionally broken.  Wonder how long it'll last.

That poor guy that got knocked aside by Weller :D

And you just know that Evil CIA Man is going to have Weller arrested for shooting that one guy who almost shot the Russian Spy Lady.  Because it'll turn out that guy was CIA and Evil CIA Man now has leverage in getting what he wants.  Because this plot trope has been done to death.  But then Evil CIA Man kidnaps Jane.  So there's no beating around the bush with this guy.  But then

he's gunned down by Love Interest #2 (Oscar), so every point is moot now.

And Jane's the mastermind behind everything.  What a tweest!

I'm pretty sure the rest of that recording will say "you did this to yourself. You sent yourself to Weller because you knew if you could survive not being bored to death by him you'd be able to handle the most difficult missions and withstand any torture."

Edited by miracole
  • Love 12

I'm pretty sure the rest of that recording will say "Jane you did this to yourself. You sent yourself to Weller because you knew if you could survive not being bored to death by him you'd be able to handle the most difficult missions and withstand any torture."

It takes a lot of endurance for that.

It was fun while it lasted, Michael Gaston.  Maybe your smug smirk show up on another show soon.

Russian spies, huh?  I guess the tattoos are fans of The Americans, which I guess I can't fully blame them.  But I was just distracted over how the assassin/Danny's killer knew everyone was after her, and yet she didn't even attempt to change her looks.  Um, Russian Spy?  If you want to succeed in your mission and avoid the FBI, maybe change your hair color or something, so you don't always stand-out by looking like a Russian version of Amy Pond (sorry, but the actress looked like she could have been related to Karen Gillian.)

Knew Patterson was going to take the "try to be strong" when it came to mourning Danny, but I thought Ashley Johnson did a good job in her breakdown scene.  And I certainly thought Jaimie Alexander played better off of her then she does opposite of good old Sullivan Stapleton.

Speaking of which, they do it!   Jane and Kurt kiss already!  Oh, yippie!  Actually, I noticed that editing for that scene was odd.  It wasn't a long kiss, but there was about three cutaways and edit jumps in it.  Weird.  Did they keep blowing their takes or something?  Of course, I'm guessing with Tree Guy here, we've got ourselves a good old-fashion love triangle!

Zapata is thinking of resigning instead of turning traitor, but I wonder if Carter's death will make that null.

• Love 3

I...didn't like the episode. I guess I expected better.

I'm meh on the cliffhanger. We already knew that Jane had her memory wiped and the tattoos done "voluntarily"; it was basically a confirmation of her flashbacks, for me. It's an answer without being one, since the method could have been her idea, but her motivations stay unclear imo. If the tattoos are a crime-prevention tool, then she could have been coerced by the circumstances, having no other choice in order to fight another conspiration (beyond Daylight); I don't believe she's an evil mastermind. I know that a cliffhanger is supposed to make you wait for more, and not reveal everything, but my issue is that I don't see any real  progress anywhere since the writers backpedaled, or maybe not, on the Taylor Shaw identity...so I can't look forward to answers that I begin to think I'll never get.

The facts/truths that we got so far pertained mostly to Daylight IIRC, and it seems to end with Carter's death by ex-boyfriend ex-machina. So Zapata is off the hook; I'm glad because I like her, but her plot seems mostly gone. Same for Mayfair. David's death seems to be linked to the spy case and not the main mystery...I still think his killer could have been someone else, but I would have liked a clue about it. 

So I feel that Carter being shot, which could have been a shocking twist except he got so unhinged in this episode that I couldn't see him survive, is rather anticlimatic when all is said and done.

I'm also meh on The Americans case-of-the-week, I'm a bit tired of the Big Bad Russians cliché. Talking about Russian, does Jane get her skills in the Matrix or something?

I generally enjoy the Jane/Weller relationship. I'm well aware of the anvils (Jane and Patterson's discussion) tropes and clichés (interrupted by kid!) and I don't mind because I see chemistry and I like the build-up of their relationship beyond the simple romance. I liked their interactions in this episode, I liked their kiss, although I did think it was too early for them...and it was kind of ruined because imo it was merely a setup for romantic drama. And this, I have no patience for. Worse, is there a love triangle profiling at the horizon? No, thanks. Sorry, love triangles make me cranky and not watching.

• Love 3

I'm surprised that Gaston was killed off so easily.  I'll miss his hamminess.  But at least it was done by hot Tree Guy, aka Oscar.  Aka, one of the few reasons I'm still watching.  Spare me the Jane/Weller romance.  Meh about the kiss because we knew it was coming.  I'm rooting (haha) for Oscar.  

While the cliffhanger wasn't that surprising, I'm glad they did have some resolution about Jane's background.  It's a breadcrumb but it's better than nothing.  I just wish they had clarified if she actually was Taylor.

Poor Patterson.  That is all.

I don't dislike her or anything, but Zapata makes no impression on me.  No confusion on her story, she's just there.  Don't care about her gambling plot or her selling Jane out to the CIA.

• Love 2

Until the last 5 minutes, I was seriously bored. This show is too much like a spy show, & I am not into spy stuff at all. We haven't been getting any Jane background at all, until the cliffhanger & we're supposed to wait until February with no guarantee that they'll explain anything, I don't know if I'll be back.

I can't remember if they ever explained it, why is this show called Blindspot?

They had the Russian woman pretending to use a pay phone. Where are there any pay phones anymore? I would think actually using a pay phone (if you can find one) would attract attention, not make you blend in.

• Love 3

And Jane's the mastermind behind everything.  What a tweest!

Not really, when I'd bet that 90% of us probably expected it.

While the cliffhanger wasn't that surprising, I'm glad they did have some resolution about Jane's background.  It's a breadcrumb but it's better than nothing.  I just wish they had clarified if she actually was Taylor.

Why would they need to do that in Episode 10 of 23 of the season?  I think we can safely assume if the new guy answers ANY questions (he might not) that's at the very least one of the first she ASKS him.  Next episode. Yes that's months away, but that's the purpose of a mid-season break.  To frustrate viewers and make them hungry for more.

They haven't and its a far more annoying thing to hold back than what Jane's name really is.  I've some some trite stuff like "Jane is Weller's blindspot", but no... that's not really it in the long run.

Edited by Kromm

They haven't and its a far more annoying thing to hold back than what Jane's name really is.  I've some some trite stuff like "Jane is Weller's blindspot", but no... that's not really it in the long run.

I think it's referring to Jane's memory loss. She was introduced with her identity and past a total blank. And now we know that to carry out some master plan, she chose to wipe out everything and deliberately made her whole life a blindspot. That's how I'm interpreting it.

Knew Patterson was going to take the "try to be strong" when it came to mourning Danny, but I thought Ashley Johnson did a good job in her breakdown scene.  And I certainly thought Jaimie Alexander played better off of her then she does opposite of good old Sullivan Stapleton.

I prefer their interactions.

Why would they need to do that in Episode 10 of 23 of the season?  I think we can safely assume if the new guy answers ANY questions (he might not) that's at the very least one of the first she ASKS him.  Next episode. Yes that's months away, but that's the purpose of a mid-season break.  To frustrate viewers and make them hungry for more.

It's already annoying, remember the whole Taylor Shaw backtrack and how we supposedly got 'answers' early.

• Love 1

that's the purpose of a mid-season break.  To frustrate viewers and make them hungry for more.

But when I'm not all that invested in a show, it has the opposite effect.  I may not mind watching week-by-week, but when I have to try and remember what all happened 3-4 months ago, I often can't be bothered, and the show gets kicked off my watch-list.  

• Love 4

Isn't the title from the pilot, as in, where they found her in Times Square?

Anyway, the show needs to give up on the whole Jane/Weller "romance" because not only does the show not need it, I don't think it's working that well. Save if for later, if at all. (Plus, I'd rather root for Tree Tattoo Guy) I'd rather they devote that screentime to Jane learning about herself.

Well, I doubt it was ALL Jane's idea and plans, but like mentioned above, the video only confirms the hint we got in the Pilot.

I really hope there are some concrete answers in the next (far away!) episode. Where did she(/they?) get all this info?? I'm guessing the only way to get it is through government surveillance/intelligence, BUT then it plays out as if most of this stuff from the tattoos is new to the FBI. Seriously, everything on Jane's body so far has been part of a secret conspiracy or an underground criminal organization, so where is it all coming from?? Besides 'who is Jane', that's what I'd love to find out.

ETA: Oh, forgot to complain about the shaky-cam. It was worse than ever this week; actually hurting my eyes.  >:-(

Edited by Trini
  • Love 3

ETA: Oh, forgot to complain about the shaky-cam. It was worse than ever this week; actually hurting my eyes.  >:-(

I hate the shaky cams too, those are always annoying to watch.

• Love 2

Well, I doubt it was ALL Jane's idea and plans, but like mentioned above, the video only confirms the hint we got in the Pilot.

The thing is, if she was really kidnapped as a child and then put through some kind of brainwashing Hitman Agent 47 type program, then bullshit it was her idea and plans.

I didn't know what to think of this episode. It was entertaining enough, I guess. But then the love triangle reared its ugly head, and I groaned, audibly.

Also, February? Fuck that.

• Love 2

Well, the actors tried their very best to make me care about the dead idiot boyfriend, and I appreciate their professionalism. But the fact is he was an idiot, he had no boundaries, and whenever Patterson told him to cut it out, he would just ignore her and keep doing whatever he wanted. This is supposed to be the love of her life, the super great guy she could have had? I think the Russians did her a favor.

• Love 8

I enjoyed this episode.  I liked that it deviated from the usual Tattoo of the Week leads to a new danger that is coincidentally happening that very same week, and not waiting a few weeks while other Tattoos get their spotlight first.  Here, there was continuity that fit into the overarching storyline.

Russian sleeper agents, reminded me of the movie Salt with Angelina Jolie.

So were there only three agents?  Cyanide husband, Olivia, and Kate Williams?  And were there only three targets?  Cyanide husband was supposed to kill his wife who spoke out against Russia.  Really?  He was married to her for 10 years and all this time was just waiting for the word from Moscow to kill her?  Confused as to why right then and there after 10 years of monitoring her that Moscow decided she was a threat.  

Olivia was supposed to kill the NY Times guy and Kate was supposed to kill the Senator.  Didn't Olivia say the numbers represented their targets?  I didn't look too closely, but that checkout card in the old book had lots of numbers on it.  How was each agent supposed to know who was killing which target?  Same with the flower shop?  How was each agent supposed to know theirs, and how exactly were they supposed to "decode" their target.

At the naval shipyard, when Reade was chasing down Kate, why did Kate's husband try to shoot him?  Was he a sleeper agent as well?  They never really explained that.  That was Mike Doyle, who was on one of the Law and Orders for a number of years.  When I saw his name in the credits I thought he'd have a bigger guest part, but instead he was on for about one minute.

• Love 1

The only thing I liked was the closing song.

They are in desperate need of some humor in this thing. And, admittedly, I am sick to death of the plethora of torture scenes in everything now. If the intent is to shock I almost feel like they are actually desensitizing me to some extent. But now I just fast forward through all those scenes. Seems like a lazy way to tell stories these days.

• Love 5

I thought the fall finale was very good! I always thought Jane willingly went along with the tattoos/mindwipe so that didn't surprise me that she "did it to herself" I don't however believe she is truly the mastermind behind it. There is definitely more to the story.

I like the Weller/Jane romance. I thought it was a good kiss and believable. In a situation like Jane's where she knew no one not even herself, I'm not surprised to see her connect romanticly with Weller. I like them together.

Part of me is suspicious that Jane is not Taylor Shaw for the simple reason that they never changed her name on the show. No one refers to her as Taylor and it makes me think the show didn't do it because a reveal will come later that she is not. It's not as if she was using the name Jane all that long. But if she's not why have Weller's name tattooed on her back. I go back and forth on this one.

• Love 2
They had the Russian woman pretending to use a pay phone. Where are there any pay phones anymore?

Ernest Thornhill started buying up all the pay phone companies to keep the phones up and running of course. 

You are being watched.

Things are starting to get going now, which makes the wait until the next episode a bit harsh.  I think the show might lose some momentum with a 3 month break which is a bit unfortunate. 

Interesting that Mayfair is now the only person 'alive' now that was involved in Daylight.  I have a feeling that Mayfair's girlfriend isn't so dead after all, and will probably turn up in the 2nd half of the season.

Edited by Agent Dark

I have a feeling that Mayfair's girlfriend isn't so dead after all, and will probably turn up in the 2nd half of the season.

The episode anagram arc: Dead Girlfriend Dreams; Bring Sadness And Tears; Or Maybe Not

Despite the fact that this show has a lot of faults, I actually enjoy it - unlike The Blacklist, which drove me nuts. Thought that the ending was strong with lots of threads to be picked up after the hiatus. Orion??

Despite the fact that this show has a lot of faults, I actually enjoy it - unlike The Blacklist, which drove me nuts.

... Orion??

Yeah, I do a bunch of nitpicking, but this is still holding my interest; I do want to see the mystery to be solved.

Heh -- this is the third show that I know that has used Orion as a mysterious codename.

Talking about Russian, does Jane get her skills in the Matrix or something?

Well, Jane does remind me of Trinity, both in looks and kicking ass so...

Glad crazy CIA guy is dead. Actor was brilliant and the character was completely over the top, but he was a total bastard.

Though the actress who plays Patterson did a great job - loved her interrogation of the Russian woman.

Liking Oscar aka Tree Tattoo Hottie. Glad he saved Jane. For some reason the reveal that Jane did this all herself didn't resonate as much - I think because somewhere in the back of my mind, I thought this might be the twist.

The show's enjoyable and entertaining enough - I'll be back in February.

Zapata can go ahead and quit, traitor.

I thought Zapata quit because she refused to put the bug in Jane's place?  He gave her an ultimatum and she refused to cave and resigned instead.  Of course, with Creep now dead, I'm sure she will withdraw her resignation.

• Love 3

I thought Zapata quit because she refused to put the bug in Jane's place?  He gave her an ultimatum and she refused to cave and resigned instead.  Of course, with Creep now dead, I'm sure she will withdraw her resignation.

That is how I understood it too. I'm sure she will withdraw her resignation - probably before Mayfair even sees it.

The last three or so episodes just haven't held my interest.   I've watched them, but didn't retain much, if anything, about the plot(s).  But I'm a completionist so I decided to stick it out to the mid-season finale.  I was just a few minutes away from releasing it and freeing up my program manager when a funny thing happened....

Francois Arnaud appeared on my screen.

Sigh....I guess I'm in for February.  Now excuse me while I go check out On Demand so I can find out what the heck has been going on these last few weeks.

Edited by Sile
  • Love 2

So this is the 3rd TV show to be based on a movie. Joining "Limitless " and "Minority Report" is "Total Recall" aka "Blindspot" I kept waiting for Arnold Schwarzenegger to show up and say "get your a-- to Mars". I'm thinking Jane will have the same moral dilemma as Hauser. They're a better person than the original. I wonder if seeing how much Patterson is hurting will affect Jane's decision to continue with her plan.

I think all their intel that's on Jane's tattoos are from a modified version of Daylight that Mayfair's girlfriend is running. Still couldn't find a legal way to use Intel so Jane came up with this.

Blackwing, I was screaming this is "Salt". Applies to the Russian sleeper agents who fall in love with their spouses and to Jane. Super spy kidnapped as child.

This show is also 1/4th Jason Bourne. Amnesia, government corruption, cover ups, illegal programs within illegal programs, and volunteering.

I wonder if the tattoos are a way to avoid "fruit from the poisonous tree"? (Yes, I have watched too much Law and Order). Whatever the source of the data (probably Daylight) the information cannot be used to convict people because it was obtained illegally. By wiping Jane's mind and only putting vague clues on her, they can argue they figured it out on their own. The clues only pointed them at places like the book, but didn't tell them what that meant. So, all the detecting they do afterwards is legit (or so the law on the show will work).

I'm leaning towards Jane not being Taylor Shaw. The DNA test can be faked because all you have to do is mess around with the known sample. I think the teeth evidence is real. Probably, Taylor Shaw crime is one of the ones they need to solve. Or not depending on how the show goes.

The real reason for sending Jane to Kurt Weller was because of Mayfair and Taylor Shaw was one way of getting buy in (Kurt would become obsessed no matter what Mayfair thought about it and push the group to follow the leads). His psych profile probably shows that would be successful (a frightened young female who is provem to be his long lost pal he's obsessed about would be his kryptonite.).

• Love 1

Alright, I told myself I would stick out this drek til the midseason break at least. I don't think the 'cliffhanger' is enough of a tease to get me to return. I actually yelled 'OH NO' when they kissed. So I think I am done. What a poor lineup of new fall shows this year. I kind of liked The Player, because it was as ridiculous as this, but kind of embraced it. This is trying too hard to be serious.

• Love 3

Alright, I told myself I would stick out this drek til the midseason break at least. I don't think the 'cliffhanger' is enough of a tease to get me to return. I actually yelled 'OH NO' when they kissed. So I think I am done. What a poor lineup of new fall shows this year. I kind of liked The Player, because it was as ridiculous as this, but kind of embraced it. This is trying too hard to be serious.

I'm not counting on much for the cliffhanger, especially after the whole backtrack of the whole Taylor Shaw thing.

• Love 1

I see chemistry and I like the build-up of their relationship beyond the simple romance. 

The only chemistry I see is adding H2O to Al (the most boring non-reaction I can think of)...  Your mileage obviously varies.

At the naval shipyard, when Reade was chasing down Kate, why did Kate's husband try to shoot him?  

For that matter, how does your average "blending-in" housewife get martial arts training equal to Jane's?  Jane's gone up against professionals and kicked their ass, but she can't take down someone who spent an hour a week at the local dojo?

So this Olivia character, a supposedly trained and seasoned sleeper Russian covert agent, spilled everything after given a threat about not seeing her children? About that if she cooperates her jail time could be shorter? And not only she reveals her identity but the entirety of her operations. If Russian spies fold that easily, Philip and Elizabeth Jennings must be very ashamed of them.

My nitpick, why did the enforcement bring Kate's body to the flight deck of the Intrepid? Could our heroes not just simply take the elevator to the street level to see the body?

• Love 1

The biggest bummer IMO is that with Jane's memory being wiped, she's forgotten her affair/relationship with Tree Guy. I'm just hoping those flashbacks get stronger and she runs off with TG and forgets about that mud stick Weller. The show could follow Jane and TG and skip Weller as far as I'm concerned.

RIP Gaston. My hope is that he will reappear, maybe he is only partly dead.

I like the idea of the episode titles being haikus. At least that helps this show be more interesting.

I think I'm done with this show. Weller is just awful! His personality, acting, etc is that of a wet noodle. Now if they replace Weller with Rich Dot Com from the previous episode, I'll gladly start watching again!

I think I'm done with this show. Weller is just awful! His personality, acting, etc is that of a wet noodle. Now if they replace Weller with Rich Dot Com from the previous episode, I'll gladly start watching again!

I don't know why this posted 3x. Sorry!

• Love 2

If you want to have a big shocker as your Midseason Cliffhanger, I'd've thought it would be a good idea not to spoil your own twist in advance. But the Big!Shocking!Twist! was that Jane (and presumably TreeGuy) was behind Jane's abduction - which they'd already shown in an earlier episode. And killing off the only character who actually seemed interested in investigating WHY Jane had been left naked & tattooed in Times Square was a terrible decision: not only have you got rid of the only antagonist the series had, but it implies that "Nobody cares about Jane's past!" which is an odd thing to say when that's your central premise. Well, I guess they want us to believe that there's the searing heat of the attraction between the two leads, but that's definitely the relationship I'm least interested in (even after you've killed off half of the couple I did care about).

As for the Mystery of the Week, probably best not to remind us of a better series we'd rather be watching (The Americans). Did like the one neat bit of tradecraft that they used that wasn't immediately obvious (leaving a message in the check out slip in the library book). Otherwise, you do wonder what had got them so riled up.

blackwing Cyanide husband was supposed to kill his wife who spoke out against Russia.  Really?  He was married to her for 10 years and all this time was just waiting for the word from Moscow to kill her?

I think the message was to say "Go dark and burn any traces of your past life". Presumably she was sent to him to report on émigré activity in America rather than kill them, though once the network was compromised they were to terminate ("With extreme prejudice") anyone who could pose a threat. Of course, be nice if the SHOW had said that!

Well I've finally made it to the midway mark. I love tech girl and for me she's one of the standouts.

Jane ruins it for me though. Her constant doe eyed looks at everyone and borderline Mary Sue talents. The potential romance with the cop is exhausting to watch. They're both such drags and how neither of them have gotten shot from being so distracted by each other is beyond me.

Have been watching some Strike Back during the hiatus, and am shocked how utterly charismatic and charming Sullivan Stapleton is in that. I don't understand what the Blindspot writers/ directors did to him!

Have been watching some Strike Back during the hiatus, and am shocked how utterly charismatic and charming Sullivan Stapleton is in that. I don't understand what the Blindspot writers/ directors did to him!

I have been giving Sullivan Stapleton a pass on his stiffness in this show precisely because I thought he was fantastic in "Strike Back".  Damien Scott was so fun and full of life, so it is a stark contrast to see Stapleton all serious and brooding here.

This show returns on Monday.  How do hiatuses (hiatusi?) usually work?  Do shows have episodes continually filming during hiatus, and hiatus is just a chance for other shows to test the waters?  Or do they take kind of a winter break and then come back and film some more?  I'm wondering if the second half of the season is going to have any noticeable change in direction... as in, "we really need Weller to loosen up a little" or "people seem a bit tired of Jane's Mary Sueness" or "Shave the neck beard!"  Some shows come back from hiatus and even though little time is supposed to have passed, it's obvious there has been some minor tweaks (e.g., Connor's different hairstyle  and Wes' beard in "How to Get Away with Murder").

How do hiatuses (hiatusi?) usually work?  Do shows have episodes continually filming during hiatus, and hiatus is just a chance for other shows to test the waters?  Or do they take kind of a winter break and then come back and film some more?

I think with a hiatus so long, everyone gets somewhat of a break, at least over the holidays.