Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E07: Phil's Sexy, Sexy House

Artsda

Everyone is at Jay & Gloria's for post-Thanksgiving leftovers brunch and after a conversation about the sexy and sleek house that Phil is helping Mitch and Cam's friend sell, everyone gets the same bright idea to sneak in there and have a little "fun." Unbeknownst to one another they all choose the same day to go, and then it quickly escalates into a game of hide and hopefully don't get found.

Andy and Hayley are so forced. I see no chemistry with them at all. 

I wish there was more Thanksgiving and less everyone one their own during the episode. 

Considering the amount of family trips they've all been on together, shouldn't Jay & Gloria have all their drivers license information on file already? Her hugging to get the licenses just seemed dumb.  So everyone's driving around to Phil's sexy house without drivers licenses? 

• Love 7

I don't know why they keep pushing them together. With them hooking up, I would wish that they would realized that they built it up in their minds but it fizzled out in reality. And by they, I mean the writers.

• Love 17

So is this show off until after Christmas? I was really hoping for a Thanksgiving episode with this one and it was like 3 seconds of Thanksgiving. And then all about everyone's misadventures with the house. 

Here's the thing. I liked Andy and Haley back when it started like SEASONS AGO. It's been at least two, right? For some reason in my mind it feels like it's been longer,, I was going to say three but then I couldn't really remember but it has been GOING ON FOR SEASONS. At least on FRIENDS, Ross and Rachel had something going on by the second season and then the next season they were finally together, and yes, that will they/won't they went on for a little but this has been going on FOR YEARS AT THIS POINT. It got ridiculous and then I realized I didn't really give a damn anymore. So while you other viewers and criticizing the lack of chemistry, I'm just waiting for them to get on with it. Because like I said, I don't get really care at all anymore. I did. And then I didn't. Also, the hookup at the end of this episode just probably means we are going to be sitting though a whole bunch of episodes where these two hem and haw some more. 

There has been a lack of Lilly in the last couple of episodes. I miss her snark. 

• Love 7

I realize I'm in a pretty distinct minority, but I generally like Andy and Haley together. I do agree they need to get a move on with their relationship, though.

As for the episode, it was pretty silly, but I enjoyed it and liked that for the most part, the couples and characters featured weren't at each other's throats or trying to one up each other like is so often the case with this show. The bit with everyone being still while Phil was playing his game made me laugh a lot, as did the adventures with the remote control. 

• Love 12

@Whos that girl, there will be 2 more episodes in December

I like when Modern Family does "screwball comedy" aka one house, different doors, hillarity ensures. This one was not as good as the Vegas episode(which to me, was the best ever), but I had to laugh when everyone showed up at the house.

Edited by Alexinla
  • Love 6
For some reason in my mind it feels like it's been longer,, I was going to say three but then I couldn't really remember but it has been GOING ON FOR SEASONS.

I don't think you can use Ross and Rachel as a guide. Think Niles and Daphne, in my mind (since these creators were "Frasier" writers). A romance that started out seemingly one-sided, slowly evolved, never got the timing right, moved on with other love interests, but kept having moments, and it took an engagement/wedding to get them to reveal their feelings. At least Andy never made it to the altar, or I'd begin to question their originality. "Fasten your seatbelt" indeed.

I actually infinitely prefer this way of keeping the show "fresh," if this relationship sticks, it opens up new avenues for the eventual baby everyone knows is coming to "revitalize" an aging sitcom: either Mitch and Cam adopt again or it's from the 20something young couple. Though I also think the ducks have been a great way to give Phil and Claire another "baby" without resorting to that old trope.

My question is when did Andy quit being the "manny" for Jay and Gloria? Did I miss that somewhere?

Overall, I really liked this episode. I agree this was inferior to "Las Vegas," but tonight actually proved a few of the older kids can handle the farcical timing, as well.

Edited by Eolivet
  • Love 2

I don't mind Andy and Haley as a couple since it seemed inevitable, and the two actors actually have good chemistry together as a duo, if not as a romantic pair.  It's just that yeah, this slow burn has verrrry slow to burn, especially when it's just been an extended telling of how Haley (who's essentially a young Claire, as evidenced by the many tales of Claire's wild teenage days) will end up with a guy just like her dad.  Not coincidentally, Haley/Andy seem to crib a lot of acting moves from Claire/Phil except that Bowen and Burrell are also believable as a couple who are legitimately in love, whereas Hyland and DeVine have never really sold me on that aspect.  Maybe things will change now that they're actually going to be an item.

• Love 1

When Phil was ninja-ing all over the room and everyone else was perfectly still, I laughed out loud.  Literally. 

Also enjoyed Magic Mitch and his pathetic patter....

I've realized I don't like any of the women on this show...not Claire, not Gloria, none of the girl kids.  That's not good.  :(

• Love 4

Mitch and the lamp pole got a laugh from me. I've never seen JTF do physical comedy before. But at the same time, I was disappointed that they finally made reference to Mitch and Cam having a sex life, but we still haven't seen them kiss.

IIRC, they did kiss briefly, in the background, in an episode a few seasons back. But, that's just a technicality. They really don't seem like a couple at all in their scenes together, and especially here, when they are supposedly trying to sex each other up.

Running around in a room full of furniture, unable to see anything, but miraculously not crashing into anything? I don't think that's how VR works.

The driver's license thing makes no sense. What info does a travel agent need besides name, and maybe age? Colombia doesn't even require passport visas for tourists staying less than 90 days.

And Gloria's relatives are going to be here for a while. Doesn't this mean more of Modern Family's tasteful ethnic humor?

I like when Modern Family does "screwball comedy" aka one house, different doors, hillarity ensures. This one was not as good as the Vegas episode(which to me, was the best ever), but I had to laugh when everyone showed up at the house.

Same here regarding this episode reminding me of the Vegas episode, which is probably my favorite episode of the series. This episode wasn't quite as well done as that one, but still very funny. It killed me when Phil comes into the room with his virtual reality gear on and everyone else in the room is frozen like statues. 

I thought all the stuff with Andy and Haley was so contrived. The show shouldn't have to work so hard to get them to a point where they realize they want to be together. That part brought the whole episode down. It feels like the writers didn't have anything to do with Gloria and Jay this week - there's no situation I can think of that would have them showing up at the sexy house, since they already have a pretty awesome house. 

• Love 2

Phil: Whatever misunderstanding led to... this... I'm happy about it.

I do like that the way they portray Phil's and Claire's sex life, and how both of them are totally game. There seems to be a widespread belief that long term relationships are dull and that nothing fun happens once you get married, so it's great to see some show that's consistently saying LTRs are great and there's no reason to lose the heat.

• Love 10

The Andy and Haley plot is so boring.  They have no chemistry.  Hopefully it can end now that they've hooked up.  If I had to chose I'd rather they go away and Dylan come back.  

I don't understand what's going on with Alex and why she's hooking up with that high school kid, does not make her look good.

The only thing that wasn't complete crap on this episode was Phil in the tub with the ducks.

• Love 2

Missed a few seaons and just getting back, but why woud Haley even look at that guy, and even do more than look. What is so special about him? What did I miss? Withouit any background info, I think she could do wayy better. 

• Love 7

I realize I'm in a pretty distinct minority, but I generally like Andy and Haley together. I do agree they need to get a move on with their relationship, though.

I agree. I also like Haley and Andy, but they need to either put them together or don't. I was actually happy they hooked up, but wish Andy broke things off with his fiancé before they hooked up, because that will be the next roadblock. I do not mind a slow burn, but this is ridiculously slow.

I did enjoy some of the physical comedy in this episode with the couch and the bathtub. Also, thought Mitchell's Magic Mike comments were hilarious.

How old is the kid Alex is hooking with suppose to be? Is he older than Manny and Luke or the same age?

Mitch and the lamp pole got a laugh from me. I've never seen JTF do physical comedy before.

He did a great physical bit last season (?) on a pair of rollerblades that pretty much lasted through the entire episode.  I have been feeling like JTF is the star of the show this season.  Anyone else feeling it?  In seasons past, it was always all about Cam getting the laughs from me but this year it has been all about Mitch. He is the real standout for me this season.

ETA: Did anybody else catch this cute throwaway joke?  After Mitch & Cam had just bought their new ice cube trays at the beginning of the show and Cam says that even though the instructions recommend that he wash them in the dishwasher before use he was just going to rinse them off in sink ...   fast forward to everyone being in The Sexy House and when someone tosses the tv remote on the couch it switches to a news channel and some guy says something like 'coming up, find out how your ice cube trays could kill you..'  hee!

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 13

I knew everyone would show up at the house....and then they never really figured out what to do with them. It pales next to the Vegas episode, which itself pales next to the ski lodge episode in Frasier, which was the best farce/open doors sitcom episode ever. They had a decent premise and they had a cast that is very good at physical comedy....and then nothing funny happened.

I don't get the Haley/Andy relationship other than opposites attract. Plus Sarah Hyland is looking way too old to be barely 21...and yes, I know she is only like 25 or 26, but with the hair, clothes and bug eyes, she appears much older.

I don't mind Andy and Haley as a couple since it seemed inevitable, and the two actors actually have good chemistry together as a duo, if not as a romantic pair.  It's just that yeah, this slow burn has verrrry slow to burn, especially when it's just been an extended telling of how Haley (who's essentially a young Claire, as evidenced by the many tales of Claire's wild teenage days) will end up with a guy just like her dad.

One thing I noticed is they're even styling them similarly: with Haley having short, crimped hair, just like her mom. I also thought it was interesting Phil and Claire were the last couple out of the house before Andy and Haley dared to venture back into the house. I think it works without the reminders, but I find it notable they feel the need to have the visual reminders in the first place. And I don't think they're just coincidence.

• Love 1

In it's latter years this show is at its best when it mixes in one of these farce episodes to go along with the family stories. Opening a door to Ruben and Alex who had not been previously shown was good for a chuckle. Ty Burrell keeps doing the heavy lifting on this show, his physical comedy all show (from the bathtub, to the brushing off Claire at Jay's, to the VR) was fantastic.

• Love 4

I'm definitely not a fan of Andy/Haley for pretty much the same reasons that have already been discussed. Everything just feels so contrived, and even if they finally put them together, I don't trust these writers to satisfyingly develop them with Adam DeVine's busy schedule. I also might be a bit biased. I love Dylan. He might not be the brightest bulb, but he's always genuinely cared about Haley and the Dunphys and he's been here since the beginning. I'm attached. 

• Love 4

Got a good laugh at Phil shouting "freeze" and Mitch dodging out of the way. Modern Family does this kind of physical awkward comedy really well - another time that pops to mind is the abandoned theatre with Haley, Alex and Phil.

Not really caring about Haley and Andy hooking up. There's bound to be more drama with the wedding and I am not looking forward to that. I like the idea that they're very similar to Clare and Phil though. 

Clare - your outfit did something for me. Well done. 

• Love 1

ETA: Did anybody else catch this cute throwaway joke?  After Mitch & Cam had just bought their new ice cube trays at the beginning of the show and Cam says that even though the instructions recommend that he wash them in the dishwasher before use he was just going to rinse them off in sink ...   fast forward to everyone being in The Sexy House and when someone tosses the tv remote on the couch it switches to a news channel and some guy says something like 'coming up, find out how your ice cube trays could kill you..'  hee!

Yes! I rewound to make sure I had heard correctly.

I don't normally post in this show forum, but felt compelled to pop in. I thought this entire episode was hilarious. (Alright, maybe not Gloria and the wallets.) But Magic Mitch (welder by day, stripper by choice!) and VR Phil and Freeze Tag and ducks in the tub and the oh-so-awkward lamppole dancing (did it call back Jamie Lee Curtis in True Lies for anyone else?) and flipping the mattress and Ruben wore a Batman cape to the first day of high school and Joe biting the girl.... I laughed out loud several times.

I like Haley and Andy - mostly because I think when Haley is with him, she likes herself better. He makes her want to be a better person (with all apologies to Jack Nicholson).

• Love 4

I think Haley started to be attracted to Andy because he was good with kids. We've seen that Haley is actually very family-oriented despite her cool exterior. She has surprised Claire and Alex with her sentimentality at different times. And she liked babysitting an infant with Dylan, too.

I think it's true that she's choosing a partner who reminds her of her father, not because she has a daddy complex, but because she wants a family. Also, she sees Jay with Gloria and I think that relationship helps her to not feel like "I can do better" is necessarily the way to look at things. She's the "trophy" in this situation, like Gloria, but Jay is her grand father and he's a good provider and a decent enough partner and their relationship is respectable to Haley, so why not use it as a model for herself?

That said, I hated the "leave, then turn back and leap into his arms" scene, I'm tired of the show hitting the same notes over and over again, and I am not really into the Haley-what's his name relationship, because I think it's being written to be boring as hell and pretty shallow. I think they want us to believe it's true love, but I don't buy it. I can't imagine them interacting in any real situations, and they never really have done anything together to establish for me why their interactions would be sustainable or interesting. The dynamic is 100% on the surface, and 100% the same scene every time. If they actually pursue it now, maybe we'll see more, but until I see it, I'm not believing there's anything there.

• Love 4

Cam & Mitchell trying to bluff their way out of it by beginning to sing 'Happy Birthday' got a big laugh from me. It was a good episode overall. Lots of funny.

'Does it look like a long or short visit?'

'She''s pregnant and they brought a stroller'.

• Love 2

The only thing that wasn't complete crap on this episode was Phil in the tub with the ducks.

Trust me, there was crap in that tub.  I'm around ducks a lot.  Outdoors. 

What happened with Andy and the donut mania?  Last time we saw him, he had added around thirty pounds around his middle.

• Love 1
What happened with Andy and the donut mania?  Last time we saw him, he had added around thirty pounds around his middle.

The last episode before this one there were some lines about that. Dylan said, "Hey Andy, nice to see you aren't fat anymore" and then Haley said, "I'm glad things aren't weird with us anymore, you..now with your..." and she made a hand motion around her stomach and Andy said he was glad he had someone like Beth to help him though it. 

I'm glad there are a few more episodes in December. The thing is, I did like Andy and Haley. But for some reason something has thrown me off. It could just be what I said earlier, the waiting and the lack of progression. And obviously, the writers not knowing what to do when they have an actor who has other projects going on. I don't know. I think maybe I could like them again , if something actually happens. 

I thought the Panda story on TV was going to lead somewhere. Did I miss it or did something go over my head? Or was there just no meaning to it other than a TV?

Where did they find the kid who plays Joe? He's adorable and so natural.

• Love 4

OK, didn't they say it was the Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend? If so, why was Claire on a business trip to Berkeley and Portland the previous day? Who works on the Friday after Thanksgiving, especially in the line of business they're in? 

I didn't mind the Hailey/ Andy hook up but the way it was done (with her running into his arms) was cheesy. Also I'm re-watching the series and Andy is introduced early on in Season 5! The long lead up makes me think the people behind the show really think they have a lot of time left to develop their relationship, but this season and last are felt kind of tired now that the kids are grown up.

Sometimes it seems like the writers are a bunch of old guys from the '50s.

Jokes about ice cube trays? You think these upper middle class people use ice cube trays and don't have an ice maker in their fridge? I'm more The Middle,than Modern Family and I've had an ice maker in my fridge for 20 years.

Then the licence thing for a secret trip? Huh? In what universe do you need someone's licence to book travel? And since it was to another country, wouldn't they need everyone's passport numbers?

Sometimes the writing is so weird.

• Love 1

He did a great physical bit last season (?) on a pair of rollerblades that pretty much lasted through the entire episode.  I have been feeling like JTF is the star of the show this season.  Anyone else feeling it?  In seasons past, it was always all about Cam getting the laughs from me but this year it has been all about Mitch. He is the real standout for me this season.

I caught that.  Loved it.

As soon as I saw the beginning of the first Andy/Haley scene,  I switched to Million Dollar Listing and never switched back.  Tired of the whole thing with them  - not even remotely interested.

I wish there was more Thanksgiving and less everyone one their own during the episode.

IMO, this has been the problem with the whole season - very little interaction between the families, which is what used to make MF so good.  What happened to dinner at Jay and Gloria's?  Instead we get Andy and Haley?  No thanks.

• Love 2

I didn't enjoy this one so much. It was a pale shadow of the Vegas ep. 

There were a couple of things I liked. I thought it was funny when Manny told Joe that he (Manny) knew Joe knew how to say 'spaghetti.' I liked Gloria saying that she was the cousin who knew all these tricks, like pick-pocketing. I liked when Phil yelled, "Freeze!" and came into the room while everyone was frozen. 

That's about it. I like Haley and Andy and don't mind them getting together. I'm wondering where this will go. I'm also wondering how long I'll stick with the show.

Mitch and the lamp pole got a laugh from me. I've never seen JTF do physical comedy before. 

Remember when Mitchell was wearing the Spiderman outfit? He was hiding in the mens room, holding himself up in the stall, then he escaped out the window. (Down a drainpipe?) 

I caught that. When Cam first said he'd just give the trays a quick rinse, I thought it would come back in some way. I'm kind of glad that the show didn't make more of the little joke.

Jokes about ice cube trays? You think these upper middle class people use ice cube trays and don't have an ice maker in their fridge? I'm more The Middle,than Modern Family and I've had an ice maker in my fridge for 20 years.

There are specialty ice cube trays. I have an ice maker in my freezer, but I bought a couple of trays the other day.

• Love 1

I loved the ice cube throwaway line. Cracked us up.

I thought Gloria was stealing the licenses to photocopy and to get the names on the tickets to match up with everyone's licenses. It was a cheap ploy to have her pickpocket, no doubt.

I'm "meh" about Andy and Haley mostly because I really like Dylan and would miss him terribly.

• Love 1

When Andy was the manny he seemed a little more.... hunky?  Nerdy definitely, but a little more desirable in some way.  Now he just seems too nerdy.  Especially for someone like Haley who from the beginning has rolled her eyes at anyone nerdish in any way.  The show will never make me believe it. 

I still say Haley belongs with a rich guy older than she is.  With her character, she doesn't need a Phil, she needs a Jay.

• Love 4

So what's the odds on the show actually flying to Colombia to film there the way they did with Australia?

I hope not. I never find the episodes with Gloria's family funny.

Is it just me or are they trying REALLY hard to make Claire sexy this season?

Maybe, but it is definitely working, I never found her that sexy before, but a few times this season...Wow.

There were a lot of great moments in this episode that have been mostly mentioned, but a couple of things that didn't work with me were Alex and Ruben, and Claire worrying that Phil was mad at her. Alex doesn't need to hook up with a high school boy, and a totally nerdy one at that. And the "fight" that they showed between Phil and Claire was ridiculous, when has Phil ever been so petty and passive aggressive?

Special mention to Mitch and the pole, that was hilarious.

• Love 2

Not for nothing, but I took a peek through the "Frasier" Wikipedia. Niles' feelings for Daphne were revealed in the season 1 finale and they didn't get together until the season 7 finale. If these writers are taking their former employers' tact with Andy and Haley, they are moving at lightning speed, relatively speaking.

I have loved Phil's obsession with technology since the episode where he stood in line for the iPad all those years ago. I think a love of gadgets pairs very well with his often kid-like wonder at the world.

I hope not. I never find the episodes with Gloria's family funny.

Plus, half the time they are stealing things, doing things that cost way too much money, ect. Its just a cheap ploy when the writers don't have any idea to use Gloria in an episode. Both Jay and Manny don't like them and it shows, including Manny abandoning not knowing Spanish anymore (Still stupid). I also like how anyone could walk into the house that Phil was trying to sell. Andy and Haley I get. Andy is the assistant and Haley explained how she did it in the beginning. Everyone else, was too much, but I laughed pretty hard with Mitch on the pole. In fact I did laugh a lot this episode with Mrs. Readster. However, we all agree with Alex and the nerdy boyfriend, give it up writers. She can date normal guys who have quirks and I get that Ariel Winters had a breast reduction but doesn't she ever get too warm dressing like grandma. She can be smart and wear regular clothes. Plus, you will never convince me with Andy and Haley. You had your chance with the doctor or writing out Beth completely. You were breaking the 4th wall with Andy's drug induced ranch. You tried to pull a Marris like on Fraiser but knew you couldn't do it because you wanted to add "drama" to hooking up a couple very few people care about. 

• Love 2

So what were Haley and Andy doing while they were hiding from everyone else?  They were alone long enough for their clothes to dry.  Why couldn't they have their realization that they were in love while they were hiding out so that I wouldn't have to watch it?

I don't like Andy.  Originally, I felt the actor that plays him can't act, but I have been told that he is good on other shows, so maybe the character is so poorly written that there is no opportunity for good acting.  Andy is just so, so bland.  To me, he doesn't even have enough flavor to be vanilla pudding.  He's flavorless pudding.  

When Haley ran back into the room and jumped into his arms, I am sure the writers wanted viewers to get the same feeling as when Rachel announced that she didn't get on the plane or whatever the big scene was when Sam and Diane finally got together (Cheers was the first show I remember doing the will-they/won't-they thing), but I felt nothing, absolutely nothing.  Not even a sense of relief that the will-they/won't-they stuff may be over.  

Edited by needschocolate
  • Love 5

I don't like Andy.  Originally, I felt the actor that plays him can't act, but I have been told that he is good on other shows, so maybe the character is so poorly written that there is no opportunity for good acting.  Andy is just so, so bland.  To me, he doesn't even have enough flavor to be vanilla pudding.  He's flavorless pudding.

Yeah, its the writing and the character. The actor is good, I've seen him in other work, including doing voice acting. When he first showed up, I was like: "Awesome, I enjoy this work." Now... no, I want Andy gone.

• Love 1

I also like how anyone could walk into the house that Phil was trying to sell. Andy and Haley I get. Andy is the assistant and Haley explained how she did it in the beginning. Everyone else, was too much, but I laughed pretty hard with Mitch on the pole. 

I think they addressed it earlier in the show. Phil is telling everyone how awesome the house is and says that the key pad code is S-E-X-Y, even though he was talking to only a few people (Mitch and Cam I believe) I think it was supposed to be loud enough for everyone to have heard him.

I think they addressed it earlier in the show. Phil is telling everyone how awesome the house is and says that the key pad code is S-E-X-Y, even though he was talking to only a few people (Mitch and Cam I believe) I think it was supposed to be loud enough for everyone to have heard him.

Sorry, missed that for some reason.

Two things that bugged me:  Ty Burrell's tight clothes, especially his shirt buttons straining, and coming back from commercial breaks showing a few seconds of the last scene.  Was that just a way to kill more time?

• Love 3

Two things that bugged me:  Ty Burrell's tight clothes, especially his shirt buttons straining, and coming back from commercial breaks showing a few seconds of the last scene.  Was that just a way to kill more time?

I think the replaying thing was to introduce showing what happened next from someone else's perspective.  But I didn't realize that until the third time they did it, so I don't think it worked well.  

I have no explanation for Phil's clothes

Edited by needschocolate
  • Love 1