Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E07: Phil's Sexy, Sexy House

Artsda

About the ice cube trays: those looked like OXO trays to me.They're great because you can fill them up and just throw them in the freezer and they don't spill (they have a silicone cover), and the cubes come out really easily. If you don't have an ice maker (like me), these are great trays to have.

• Love 2

I think the replaying thing was to introduce showing what happened next from someone else's perspective. But I didn't realize that until the third time they did it, so I don't think it worked well.

I have no explanation for Phil's clothes

So the panda clip on the news shown twice, that wasn't anything? Seems a weird clip to have and not mean anything, a reference to a dying panda in a comedy show.

• Love 1

So the panda clip on the news shown twice, that wasn't anything? Seems a weird clip to have and not mean anything, a reference to a dying panda in a comedy show.

If it was in reference to something, I have no idea what it could be.  I think they just played it again so the audience would understand that Haley and Andy barely made it out of the room in time.

• Love 1

I think the replaying thing was to introduce showing what happened next from someone else's perspective.  But I didn't realize that until the third time they did it, so I don't think it worked well.  

I have no explanation for Phil's clothes

I got why they were doing it but yes, Phil's clothes made no sense at all. Even using the VR game gear later on. Just weird, even for Phil.

• Love 1

One of the more enjoyable episodes this season, even if I still don't care one bit about Hailey and Andy. Not as good as the similar Vegas episode, but still fun

At least they didn't go with the cliche "stopping him at the wedding" route. Or it appears its not going that way.

I still say Haley belongs with a rich guy older than she is.  With her character, she doesn't need a Phil, she needs a Jay.

I wish they'd bring back Justin Kirk as Mitch's ex-boss Charlie Bingham - older, rich, and sexy. He and Haley would make SO much more sense than Haley and Andy. Haley is a flighty, not too bright, high maintenance fashionista. Not exactly the nerdy, domestic type.

Where did they find the kid who plays Joe? He's adorable and so natural.

He's already light-years more natural than Rico Rodriguez. I don't understand how after 6+ seasons Rico is still so stilted and breathy and weird. He just sticks out of every scene.

• Love 3

"I wish they'd bring back Justin Kirk as Mitch's ex-boss Charlie Bingham - older, rich, and sexy. He and Haley would make SO much more sense than Haley and Andy. Haley is a flighty, not too bright, high maintenance fashionista. Not exactly the nerdy, domestic type."

Cleo-- you and I think alike!  I posted this same thing a few weeks back!  I always just figured that Alex would someday get with a brainy nerd just like her, and that Haley would end up with someone like Mitch's ex-boss and live the life she has always seemed to like.  Didn't he see her in one episode and act interested until Mitchell realized what was going on and quickly diverted his attention?  I cant remember exactly when this was, just a short clip, but in my opinion very telling. 

Edited by stcroix
  • Love 1

I thought the whole thing with the jump in his arms is to show that Andy is not as awkward as we think - and to parallel Phil. As soon as she jumped, his hands went all over her ass and he went for it. I have never seen that kind of confidence from him.

Phil is awkward, but apparently has all the right moves when it comes to Claire.

• Love 2

Two things that bugged me:  Ty Burrell's tight clothes, especially his shirt buttons straining, and coming back from commercial breaks showing a few seconds of the last scene.  Was that just a way to kill more time?

I think he told Gloria that he wears extra tight jeans for the holidays so he can't eat too much, so probably an extra tight shirt too for the same reason?

Joe is so fricken adorable!   And he delivers his lines so well, too.  

I really like Haley andn Andy. She loves her dad and it makes perfect sense that a dorky but cute and loyal guy who shares the same qualities as her dad would attract her. I see nothing weird about that but just normal. I was impressed she literally leaped on him. Awww.

Whatever led to ....this...

Heee

The duck jealousy is hilarous

• Love 1

I think the one thing that gets overlooked with Phil because of his goofy personality it's that he's extremely good looking. He's more than dorky and loyal and I'm sure that Claire was originally attracted to him at least in part because of that. Andy is kind of short and average in the looks department. I know mileage varies and all that, but Ty Burrell was often cast as the lady killer in other roles.

• Love 5

Modern Family does the t.v. thing where all the females are pretty to gorgeous, including Alex and the guys are a lot more varied in their looks.  Its pretty hypocritical, but seems the standard, though ymmv on looks.

Modern Family does the t.v. thing where all the females are pretty to gorgeous, including Alex and the guys are a lot more varied in their looks. Its pretty hypocritical, but seems the standard, though ymmv on looks.

If they were going by my personal taste, Ty Burrell would be the only male on the show whose looks are on par with any of the women. However I would have to admit that I'd never really noticed that before.

Edited by mansonlamps
  • Love 1

I think the one thing that gets overlooked with Phil because of his goofy personality it's that he's extremely good looking. He's more than dorky and loyal and I'm sure that Claire was originally attracted to him at least in part because of that. Andy is kind of short and average in the looks department. I know mileage varies and all that, but Ty Burrell was often cast as the lady killer in other roles.

That is true, plus Claire and Phil have a good "opposites attract" dynamic. Phil is goofy and fun, she is the organized and serious one that keeps everyone in line. It fits with her side of the family. Claire and Mitch and Jay, they are all kind of uptight and stiff. I know claire had her wild side when younger, but she outgrew it and was likely always the driven, stereotypical Type A personality.

We have never seen that with Hailey. They have made allusions to her new job and internet postings and such but nothing to the point where we know she is taking those things seriously and succeeding. The Phil-Calire vs. Andy-Hailey dynamic isn't quite the same. Andy is both the goofy one and seems to be the serious one as well, working with Phil for a future with a good job while it still seems Haley is still just kind of getting by on her looks and drifting through life. She did dump Dylan, who was the same way, but its not like we have seen much more growth out of her than we have from Dylan.

Modern Family does the t.v. thing where all the females are pretty to gorgeous, including Alex and the guys are a lot more varied in their looks.  Its pretty hypocritical, but seems the standard, though ymmv on looks.

Alex is attractive but I would not by any means call her gorgeous.

I have always found Claire and Phill fairly believable in terms of attractiveness matings. And believable as a couple.

There are three recent TV husband and wife couples that I easily find believable as couples

The best was Burt and Virginia on Raising Hope. They were perfect together and had about the best chemistry of any recent couple on TV.

Then there is Frankie and Mike on The Middle. Not as good as Burt and Virginia and if anything, for once, I wonder what Mike sees in Frankie, rather than the other way around as it is on most TV shows where its the bumbling husband

Then Claire and Phil. At first it seemed like they didn't belong to together but over the years its comes to be understandable.

And on that note, still not sure why Cam and Mitch ended up together.

Andy and Hailey, for the most part, I just don't see the chemistry there. It reminds me of Penny and Leonard on The Big Bang Theory. Its not so much they seem to like the guy in question, its just they have dated airheads and jerks with little to offer for so long that Leonard and Andy just seem good for them by comparison. Not that I don't like Leonard and Andy as people, I do, its just hard for me to buy them as a couple.

Which yes I know is ironic because Leonard-Penny dated in real life. Makes the acting even more less impressive

Definitely looks are very subjective. I think Alex is pretty and I just mentioned her because she seems to get the unattractive edit.  I know her personality is abrasive, but the other ladies do not allows have the greatest personalities and they have no trouble in the guy department.

I think the other couples you listed are very interesting.  I might take it to  The Middle, because I have also thought those things about Frankie or Mike.

Alex is attractive but I would not by any means call her gorgeous.

I don't think the original poster called her gorgeous, he or she said the women were pretty to gorgeous, including Alex with the callout because a lot of people don't seem to find Alex good-looking. I think she's kind of average looking myself but looks are subjective.

• Love 1

There has been a lack of Lilly in the last couple of episodes. I miss her snark. 

Indeed.  This ep was all about the Joe.  

Clare - your outfit did something for me. Well done. 

"Mrs. Dunphy, do you ever tutor?"

Just want to go on record as saying that I could live very happily in Phil's sexy, sexy house.  Wouldn't even need to ever emerge from same.  Ever.

Thank you.