Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Authentic Flirt

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Jane and Weller go undercover as a top-notch assassin couple in order to protect some lethal info. Meanwhile, David tries to repair his relationship with Patterson; and Carter and Mayfair disagree about how to deal with a menacing person.

I knew David was going to get killed.

Weller and Jane were the most skittish pair of assassins ever. Weller has a resting stone face why when it would have come in handy he's busy making worried eyes everywhere. Jane is an assassin she could have tried a little harder.

That Weller and Jane see each other all dressed up and swoon scene made me a little ill. Besides, Weller still looked raggedy in a tux. I thought the quick glimpse we got of Reade in a tux was infinitely better.

No, La Bamba!

I wish they would have shown more of Jane's housewarming.

Edited by miracole
  • Love 6

So, the "big death" that was advertised was....a guest appearance character from an episode or two ago.....SCREW YOU, SHOW!

Well... two.  But even still, one of them we always knew was dogfood (once it was clear he wasn't a counteragent/spy) and the other's only possible use was to blow the whistle (and them not going that way with the plot was hardly surprising). 

• Love 1

Hey, David? Not to kick you when you're probably dead, but? What were you thinking, if you were thinking?

"My FBI gf won't come back to me until this tattoo thing's solved. Maybe. Probably. So I'll just tail a possible spy all day and she won't know I'm following her! She doesn't even know me; I'm not a spy. This'll make things easier. Patterson will have to take me back!"  *sigh*

Even if he isn't 100% dead, it will make Patterson sad and potentially vengeful and there's enough of that just now.  I also didn't need lovely LDP to be shanked. Michael Gaston's character just makes things sad all around. Maybe if his character is killed, Weller would smile more?

I liked that Zapata decided against bugging Jane's new place. I hope this means that Zapata told either Reade or Mayfair or both. I don't want her to lone wolf this. Maybe Zapata told Jane? Jane saw how suddenly uncomfortable Zapata was and asked, which we'll get in a flashback because linear storytelling is for kindergarteners apparently. (Quick scene of Zapata talking to an unfocused shoulder or whatever and saying " ...so that's the story" or something like that. There's a call or a page from Patterson to transition to the next scene.)

Was that Moriarity's house from Elementary? The house Sherlock and Watson found her in? It sure looked like it.

Rich.com was slimy, but entertainingly slimy. So pretentious, so "over it", yet he had an ego the eastern seaboard couldn't even hope to contain if he thought he could just resell the list to everyone interested and have no one get upset about "not paying for exclusivity." If not our team, then someone else might have.  Too much time getting everything he wanted when he wanted it, I guess.

I was wondering why Jane and Weller just didn't try to jack the actual hard drive. The portables where just copies, so Rich could just go on selling. I get they were trying to be quiet, but after the fight in the rumpus room (?), why not just take out/down the guards, knock out Rich, take the hard drive, work the automatic gun guys to get the copter back? For Weller and Jane, was that too simple?  While I was glad that the cavalry showed, Jane and Weller couldn't be sure and their cover was blown anyway. I'm probably forgetting something.

After the first break for ads, I looked at Mr. A and was , "The 10 O'clock Standards & Practices part was in the cold open!" And man! Did that add a another layer to cold open. ::shudders::

Promo monkeys: Stop telling me I am waiting for things! I am not waiting for the things you think I am, no matter how deep Mr. Announcer talks.

• Love 3

Hey, David? Not to kick you when you're probably dead, but? What were you thinking, if you were thinking?

Clearly he wasn't, then he wouldn't have gotten involved in dangerous things that he was warned about before.

• Love 2

Hee!  I so knew David was going to be the big "death" in the episode.  Now, I'm sure this show will get to killing off a regular at some point (this strikes me as the show that will do it for "shocking value"), but no way are they offing anyone too important this early on.  Feel bad for Patterson, but really, the whole thing was so stupid. Patterson should have never brought any of that evidence and files to her house, and David should have quit trying to snoop.  There was no way this was going to end well for him.

Well, I guess Guerrero also got killed off too, so that wasn't a really good use of Lou Diamond Phillips.  At least he still has Longmire, I guess.

Of course they bust out an undercover operation that requires Kurt and Jane to go out to a fancy party.  And, of course, of course!  It leads to them slo dancing and staring into each others' eyes, and building what I'm guessing is romantic chemistry, even though Sullivan Stapleton and Jaimie Alexander seem to bring out the opposite of that, if anything. 

The best parts where Reade and Zapata's reactions to the baddie of the week legally changing his name to Dotcom.

Trieste Kelly Dunn randomly shows up as a former flame of Kurt's, whose sole purpose seem to be cheerleading Kurt/Jane.

I love Marianne Jean-Baptiste, but Mayfair has to be the biggest pushover ever, between her agents walking all over her, and Carter just ignoring her advice/warnings, and killing Guerrero anyway, all while cackling like any Michael Gaston character would.  No one seems to respect her.  It's kind of sad.

I'm sure Jaimie Alexander was happy to have a somewhat tattoo-less episode for this round.

• Love 5

Welp, I knew David was either working with the redheaded lady, or would die horribly.  Poor Patterson.  

Matter of fact, I'm not even sure what happened in this episode.  I could barely pay attention.  On a completely shallow note, I hated what Jane was wearing.  I'm aware that she has to stay covered, but the style of dress and the hair...ugh.  Do not like.

Oddly enough, I did like the bad guy.  Don't really remember his name, but his smart ass behavior honestly had me laughing.  It was nice to see someone liven up the scene a bit, because watching Jane and Kurt try not to make eyes at each other was so boring.

Show, I do appreciate the visuals of Francois Arnaud (Tree Guy) since Dr. Borden wasn't present.

• Love 2

I loved Jane's dress!

It was odd seeing Oz from The Listener playing a bad guy.

As soon as I saw that looong hallway I knew LDP was toast.

I seem to have forgotten when the red haired lady first showed up?

How lucky were they that the tattoo they figured out was one that was happening right then with the computer hack of the witnesses and the assassins.

• Love 1

Not only are they in desperate need to buy a tripod for the camera operators, but they also need to have their eyes checked. A lot of these shots start of blurry.

Yeah, the camera movements annoy me too, as well as he abundance of close up shots.

• Love 2

Monochrome Flashback Jane has better hair than Present Jane, and a pint of Brylcreem doesn't help.  

Patterson was very pneumatic at the gala.

Put Stubbles in a tux and he still looks like a vagrant.

• Love 3

OK, I've joked that David's nosiness would get him in trouble but holy heck! Too Dumb To Live, for real. What did he accomplish, following that redhead, mouth agape? I hope he took notes (a second book!) so the team can have something to work with.

Unfortunately, I think it's too late to give Weller a personality. All his humor and laughing felt uncomfortable and forced. And I feel like Jane has more chemistry with Tree Tattoo guy than Weller, and we barely know that guy/that relationship. (And the big dress reveal? Done better on Kyle XY, because Jaimie actually had chemistry [har har, if you know which episode I'm talking about] with her character's love interest).

Maybe they're worried about burning through it too quickly but I'd really like them to get back to her past. That's why I tuned in, Jane and the mystery of her tattoos, not this awkward romance and constant shootouts.

At some point during this episode, I started wondering if the third person involved in Daylight (forgot her name but she was Mayfair's girlfriend) spilled the beans to whatever group(s) are involved in tattooing Jane. Maybe she's the ringleader.

So I'm confused, CIA guy had Guerrero shanked because... ? I know he didn't like Mayfair's plan but I can't remember why. Wish she'd get an upper hand somewhere because it's frustrating to see the head of the FBI constantly walked all over.

Rich.com was a very entertaining guest baddie. Zapata's deadpan comments about the stupidity of his name were great. Also, while nice, I felt the camaraderie at the end was a bit too late as well... but I'm more open to them working on that than Weller's random smiles.

• Love 1

Finally, Jane has some style! She rocked that leather jacket and she looked awesome in the gown.

Weller looked like he was having fun for once in his life, playing out the fantasy of Jane being his wife.

The villain was good. I loved his snark. A show like this needs a character every once in a while who will question the ridiculousness of it all.

Patterson's boyfriend died dumb. He should have taken a picture of the redhead with his cellphone, forwarded it to Patterson and gone on with his life.

Why did Mayfair get the call about Patterson's boyfriend?

I will miss Lou Diamond Phillips. They had a great opportunity to make him a big bad but he got taken out Breaking Bad style. When I saw that muscular janitor I knew he was toast.

• Love 1

Again, I'm probably alone but I still think Kurt and Jane actually have chemistry and I liked the episode, too. On a shallow note, it was nice to see the Team all dressed up for a change.

This is just another procedural show, except for Jane having an occasional flashback, who she is hardly even matters.

This is my only, biggest fear because I hate procedural shows. As far as there's some solid continuity between the episodes, I can tolerate them, otherwise I'm out.

Edited by penelope79
  • Love 2

David was confirmed dead as soon as he was onscreen, but my poor cutie. It isn't Tree Guy who found him, right? If so, then I think the Redhead might actually be a red herring and Tree Guy did him. My money is still on "he's a bad guy" shocking twist.

Guerrero, I didn't expect him to die until, as said above, I saw the muscular janitor conveniently posted there. But yeah, too bad that he can't recurr.

I'm so glad that Zapata said no to Evil CIA Man, but now I'm worried she'll end up as some unanounced but "shocking" death.

Again, I'm probably alone but I still think Kurt and Jane actually have chemistry and I liked the episode, too. On a shallow note, it was nice to see the Team all dressed up for a change.

You're still not alone. I enjoyed the shippy moments, including the fact that it included a good part of the TV trope directory. At least, the writers are clear on their intentions and don't play coy; the audience knows what to expect.

I also like that Jane mentioned her flashbacks of Tree Guy (hopefully, she'll give the tattoo detail, too) not because of the personal dimension, but because it's relevant to the Tattoo Mystery.

And I did love to see them play dress-up -Patterson was wow!.

I also wish the housewarming scene was longer, with a look at more different interactions outside of work, but on second thoughts maybe it had more impact as part of a montage; and yay, Weller smiles more and more. Although poor Patterson's grief is probably going to damper it.

Unfortunately, I think it's too late to give Weller a personality. All his humor and laughing felt uncomfortable and forced.

It's only a few episodes into the show, so I don't think it's too late on a pure development standpoint -some shows that I won't name are still trying to revamp the same character several seasons in. Oh, of course, I don't mean to imply in the least that it shouldn't be too late for you, because it's the way you perceive the character and I wouldn't argue on this.

For me, it works, particularly because I see it more as an inflexion than as complete personality transfer. Weller is supposed to have "walls" as his ex reminded the audience (with the lightness of an anvil, yes) and to be that stern/closed off/emotionally impaired individual. I would have had a hard time buying the description/concept if he didn't give that first impression to the viewers, too, and was Mr.Sensitive or Smiley Jack from the start. The way I see it, he's been revealing little by little other more relaxed and warm aspect of his personality for a few episodes now, so I buy it as a natural progression. Again, my views only.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 5

Oh noes! Not the Nerdmuffin!!! (Although I assume Chekov's witsec agent can multitask as Weller's cheerleader *and* the way to bring David back once the show runners realize Patterson/David was probably more popular (and definitely more believable :-p) than Jane/Weller ever will be. (YMMV ofc)) David's totally only mostly dead.

No, really, show of hands - does the Jane/Weller stuff work for anyone? Are some folks buying the attraction (between them, I'm not asking if you personally find the leads attractive)? And if so, does the portrayal work for you, or do you just kind of watch around it? (I can imagine a scenario where you could understand the attraction, but hate Jane's whatever that is behavior around Weller, say.)

Bugged me no end that Patterson and David just happened to pick the heretofore only non-lethal tattoo. All others seem to end in firefights. Of course, that actually bugs me even more. Less stupid fight scenes, please. Especially when combined with that thoroughly annoying camera work. (Another serious question: Does anyone actually like shakycam? Am I just too old for it and am missing the appeal? Most comments I've read here seem down on it. Any fans that just haven't spoken up?)

Liked the team hanging out. Didn't feel organic, and was long overdue, but still. I'll take improvements where I get them.

Pet peeve: I know the assassins were evil!bad guys, but didn't the team just roll up, unannounced brandishing weapons at them? And they didn't bother to ID themselves? Seriously, armed people looking like Weller and Jane aren't instilling me with reassuring thoughts. Also, the other buyer of the witsec list (that they got shot, d'oh) could very easily have been an undercover agent for all they knew. Not at all how I like to see supposedly not-corrupt law enforcement portrayed. (Tell me, where does Weller get off giving Mayfair self-righteous attitude again?)

Too little Reade. Although he and Patterson scrub up very nicely. Wow. Guess that makes up for it. (Did not like what they did with Jane there, otoh. You have to work hard to make such a dog's dinner of such a pretty lady. Did not like her look at all.)

Missed the shrink and wish they'd use him more, too.

I will miss Lou Diamond Phillips. They had a great opportunity to make him a big bad but he got taken out Breaking Bad style. When I saw that muscular janitor I knew he was toast.

I assume Mayfair was responsible for the dude following David. Points for her for thinking ahead. Now if they could only make her the boss lady she totally can be, I'd appreciate it. Irksome the way Weller and (Gaston) just feel like they can do whatever they want with her. C'mon lady, kick some butt.

Total waste of LDP. He was such a lovely bad guy. I would have been pleased to see (a lot) more of him. *sniff*

• Love 2

Can't seem to edit in the mobile version?

Alrighty, that's 2 buying the Weller/ Jane romance (and HappyHarpy, I was totally thinking about you when I asked that.). Aside from the anvilicious presentation ;-), are you buying the portrayal or are certain notes ringing false for you?

• Love 2

I don't mind the romance either - it's there but I don't think the show is pushing it too hard. Chemistery is of course in the eye of the beholder. I was surprised Jane told Weller about her dreams/memories of a previous relationship, good move because I was fearing some unnecessary drama with that reveal.

And it definitely looked as if Mayfair had library boy tailed (he was a dead man walking from the moment he picked up that first pic laying around Patterson's kitchen table - I'm just surprised it took so long). But I was confused how he got on the trail of the mysterious redhead. Obviously knitting while watching this show has certain advantages (like hardly noticing the shaky cam) but you might miss some important plot points.

I liked Jane's dress but liked her shoes even more - wedges with an ankle strap instead of heels. Elegant enough to go with the dress but also good for running/kicking ass.

• Love 1

I was confused how he got on the trail of the mysterious redhead.

When Patterson & David got caught in the library a few weeks ago, they had discovered that a book in the library was being used and re-used to pass secret messages by adding and erasing pencil-marks to words in the book.  He went to the library and waited until he saw someone using the book to pass messages, then he followed her.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 1

Once AGAIN, no FBI agent was harmed in the making of this episode. All the United States needs are 3 FBI agents (and Jane) to make the country a safer place.

I thought that the prison guards would get shanked and Guerrero would escape, so that took me by surprise. David was an idiot, but I will miss his cute smile.

The FBI must have better tattoo cover up makeup than regular TV shows, because it's always obvious when they try to cover them.

Ironically, my local news station posted that the FBI is looking for recruits here in South Texas. Maybe I should sign up! lol

• Love 1

I'm really over FBI agents murdering 15-20 people a week, like it ain't no thang. Like I've watched Oz, I currently watch Fargo, but some how this show has the most casual and auspicious body count on television. I don't know it's bothering me, enough to probably give up. I'm just hanging on because I like JA so much.

• Love 2

Goofy show,  but I like it.  The one thing I can't stretch my imagination far enough to understand is why the tats' messages become imminent threats the instant geek girl decodes them?

• Love 1
I will miss Lou Diamond Phillips. They had a great opportunity to make him a big bad but he got taken out Breaking Bad style.

I didn't think Breaking Bad, but I did see that same scene on Arrow so I knew LDP really wasn't shanked, the attack was faked so he could be put into federal protection.

Right? No? Oh.

I appear to be the only one who didn't understand anything about this episode. I find the so-called "romance" skeevy, Weller looked like a hobo in a tux (buy a razor, dude), and two adult agents (well, one agent, one assassin) get all mooney eyed about playing married partners? Please.

Looking forward to when Jane's Tree Man comes forward and Weller moves backward. Like THAT will ever happen. (The Weller thing I mean.)

• Love 1

The one thing I can't stretch my imagination far enough to understand is why the tats' messages become imminent threats the instant geek girl decodes them?

I think it's the other way around. Because the threats are becoming imminent, something makes them pop up on Patterson's systems.

Basically, the tattoos provide info on people who continually do bad things. It's ongoing behavior. They did bad stuff yesterday, they'll do bad stuff again tomorrow. A professional assassin has killed before and will kill again. So they don't need to be flagged for any one action, they're tagged in general, but become noticeable and get found when they ramp up their activity due to a current action.

• Love 1

Alrighty, that's 2 buying the Weller/ Jane romance (and HappyHarpy, I was totally thinking about you when I asked that.). Aside from the anvilicious presentation ;-), are you buying the portrayal or are certain notes ringing false for you?

I'm not giddy and fangirling all over Jane/Weller  like I'm over Neal/Christa on Code Black, but I do buy them. I must say I'm surprised I do, because of the anvils' size. So I guess it means that I really must see chemistry between them, LOL.

I think it's also because the show doesn't try to be subtle an fail, but goes straight for it. During the whole episode, I was thinking "oh no they won't, not this trope, it's going to be an epic fail"...and finally, I found myself enjoying the scene. It doesn't mean that I don't see the second degree, but I feel that it's a dimension that was added recently whereas it lacked in the first two episodes imo. It isn't that the show is less serious in its intention, but I feel that the writers are more aware of the OTTness and trope use and embrace it.

For example, I particularly liked how they used Weller's "jealousy" trope. I think that Jane wouldn't have put an end to the bodyguard groping her, because of her reaction to Weller's intervention. I feel that she's dead set on not being a liability and wouldn't have risked to jeopardize the mission. So I liked how cleverly Weller used his status of "husband" in order to spare her more of it, and how he downplayed it afterwards. I also enjoyed a lot Sullivan Stapleton's acting in this scene, he injected something very sheepish in Weller's answer to Jane afterwards, imo...I saw it as being satisfied that his plan, ironically, allowed him to express his emotion (anger at a woman being groped, and worse, a woman he cares for) whereas I think that he wouldn't have if he wasn't undercover. And then, he used the earlier scene he made, where the will to help Jane played a part, for a 100% calculated use of it.

Then, there are Weller's scenes with his ex. Beyond the tropes/clichés of "oops I have a rival", "he's a good man" etc. it gave me a point of comparison. I saw the  easy chemistry, I enjoyed the interactions with the ex especially because Weller was relaxed and smiling, and there was nothing uncomfortable between them, but it made me think that I found Jane and Weller's chemistry more intense at times. Then, I realized that those times are when they stop overthinking it and are honest with themselves, like the "you're my starting point" moment.

I see that Jane and Weller as attracted to each other, and drawn to each other, but both aware of the strangeness of their situation, of the baggage that comes with Taylor Shaw, of her status as an amnesiac and all the implications that come with it. I think, after this episode, that the characters are actually almost permanently portrayed as tiptoeing around each other, hence they sometimes project discomfort, but for me it's something deliberate, not something that comes from a lack of chemistry. It makes me feel that the last thing they want is to hurt each other, and screw everything up, and it's something that I like in a romance.

All this to say that I begin to see the humongous and obvious trope use in the Jane/Weller relationship as a meta kind of tattoo that hides something more carefully crafted. (Long answer, sorry...be careful what you wish for ;)

Oh, I agree about the skittish assassins. Nevertheless, and funnily, at one point I thought that  the original ones weren't much more professional. The woman going out of hiding and shooting at the team while yelling reminded me of that scene in Pulp Fiction, where the guy shoots at and miss Samuel L.Jackson and Travolta's characters. I have to admit I chuckled, and I'm not sure it was the reaction the writers wanted.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 3

I think it's the other way around. Because the threats are becoming imminent, something makes them pop up on Patterson's systems.

Basically, the tattoos provide info on people who continually do bad things. It's ongoing behavior. They did bad stuff yesterday, they'll do bad stuff again tomorrow. A professional assassin has killed before and will kill again. So they don't need to be flagged for any one action, they're tagged in general, but become noticeable and get found when they ramp up their activity due to a current action.

I like your thinking, but that's not what's happening most of the time. Yes, in some episodes the computer flags a particular symbol because something in the FBI database triggered it and they respond to it. But more often than not Patterson figures out a new way of looking at something or notices one tattoo covering another or whatever and it just so happens to correspond to what is about to happen. Some of the tattoos seem to be predictive, which doesn't make sense. I don't mind coincidences in general but a lot of really iffy stuff needs to occur for them to be able to line up the tattoos and the timing.

Well, despite my real annoyance with the show killing off an adorable nerd, I found this episode entertaining. I loved Rich.Com, or however he spelled it. He was fun. I wish we had found out who the other buyer was though. I'll assume he's just another professional killer amongst us, I guess.

I too am frustrated by the big mystery not being advanced, of course. But I liked the story of the week well enough to get past it. And though I'm still anti-shipping Weller and Jane, they had better interactions this week at least.

I guess I'll just have to accept the horrible neck beard though. If it doesn't get shaved for a black-tie affair, I assume it's here to stay.

Edited by KateeBar
  • Love 1

GAH! David's gone, but Weller's neck beard is still alive and well! I am about to mail that guy a razor. His neck hair completely distracts me from what is going on. Its like a giant mole on someone's face you just can't look away from.

I liked Rich Dotcom, (as a douche-y protagonist) he provided needed lightness to a show that takes itself too seriously.

• Love 4

Man, what were they thinking when they cast this block of wood as a lead? He was their best choice out of literally thousands of actors? What is with the creepy beard. Well, he is just so in appealing in this role. I know nothing of the actor otherwise so just commenting on this role. Yikes. He is awful. Ruins the whole nonsensical shebang for me. Good grief. I am betting they are stuck with him too.

And the slo mo bit when they see each other dressed up? Felt like I was suddenly watching a teen angst movie.

• Love 4

But more often than not Patterson figures out a new way of looking at something or notices one tattoo covering another or whatever and it just so happens to correspond to what is about to happen.

In this episode they tried to finesse that by saying the tatts pointed to Richie's ongoing activities. It just so happened that his latest activity (targeting intelligence operators) happened to hit very close to home.  I do agree with you though that, overall, it's a bit dodgy.

GAH! David's gone, but Weller's neck beard is still alive and well! I am about to mail that guy a razor. His neck hair completely distracts me from what is going on.

For me the combination of the length (not fuzz, not full, exactly the same as on his head) and production's fondness for extreeeeme close-ups create the impression that Weller is covered in fur, sort of like a wolf- or caveman.

P.S. I cheered when Zapata trashed that bug. Go Zapata!

Edited by DEM
  • Love 3

One of my biggest problems with this show from the beginning is how seriously it takes itself. This episode was, in a sense, a step in the right direction. It's still all grim and srs bznz, but 'we're going to masquerade as a kickass married couple to infiltrate a self-absorbed rich asshole's party and steal valuable information from him' is more the kind of cliché fun I was hoping for when I started watching. This episode was like the gritty remake of a Chuck episode.

One little thing I've loved for a couple episodes now is the smile Jane gets when she's teasing/playing with the other team members, or when they're joking around while she's with them. It's just a little bit nervous, like she's not totally sure how to include herself yet but thinks she's taking steps in the right direction. I thought that I might be overthinking it, and maybe that's just how the actress looks when she smiles, but that nervousness was gone in the shots of her at the housewarming party.

Let David be a message to guys everywhere: If your girlfriend breaks up with you, don't try to shove and beg and wheedle your way back into her life or you'll get killed by spies.

• Love 2

Oh, I didn't realize that was Ennis playing Rich.com! He and the actor who played David were both on The LA Complex together.

@HappyHarpy, I just feel like they got notes that Weller needed some work, not that his humor, etc., is the natural progression of things. The ex-girlfriend mentioning that he's introverted and stuff helped but I wish they'd mentioned that earlier. I also wonder if part of my problem is that I'm not buying the actor as lighthearted and funny (I don't know him from anything else).

• Love 2

It looked like the guy that found him called her, so maybe Mayfair had been having someone watch him? I wasn't really clear on that part.

She was removing the camouflage make-up they applied to hide the tattoo.

I thought that was a pretty cool shot, especially considering the show must have applied the tattoo make up, and the cover up make up to make it work. As opposed to just leaving her with no tattoos and pretending she was still wearing the cover up make up.

Oh man, the bIONIC woman sound effects again when Jane was fighting.

I didn't buy the cover the tattoos story. I think tattoos peeking out of a full-length, long sleeve evening gown seem very fitting for an assassin.