Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E08: The Mystery Date Observation 2015.11.12

Penny and Bernadette spy on Amy and her date. Sheldon jumps back in the dating pool again by placing an ad on craigslist.

Finally, an episode I liked.  Mayim Bialik was great!

Edited by adhoc
  • Love 1

Amy's date reminded me way too much of Ricky Gervais. Glad that didn't last.

Maybe it was stupid of Sheldon not to ask out the girl that met his Craig's list challenge, but if you aren't ready, you aren't ready. And if you are legitimately not attracted to someone, there's no point. So in retrospect, he probably made the right call. But I wonder if we'll see her again.

• Love 1

Maybe it was stupid of Sheldon not to ask out the girl that met his Craig's list challenge, but if you aren't ready, you aren't ready.

I really liked this episode.  That was so typical of Sheldon to turn the young lady away based on her being late, and her hating the seminar.  Both storylines were really good, IMO. 

• Love 4

Maybe it was stupid of Sheldon not to ask out the girl that met his Craig's list challenge, but if you aren't ready, you aren't ready. And if you are legitimately not attracted to someone, there's no point. So in retrospect, he probably made the right call. But I wonder if we'll see her again.

Considering the kind of relationship he had in mind for her, he did her a favor.

It freaks me out a little to see that actress in adult roles. I always think of her as the young girl from Crazy, Stupid, Love.

• Love 2

Mayim Bialik was great!

She was, but I'm miffed that Dave turned out to be such a dud. I wanted Amy to experience a real relationship with a good guy at least for a while before TPTB inevitably have her get back together with Sheldon. When she does decide to go back to him, I want it to be because she realizes that despite all his shortcomings he's her one true love, not because every other guy she goes out with is even worse than he is.

It freaks me out a little to see that actress in adult roles. I always think of her as the young girl from Crazy, Stupid, Love.

I still remember Analeigh as a contestant on America's Next Top Model, so I find it weird to see her act.

• Love 9

Sheldon's date was actually on the show previously when the guys used satellites to find the ANTM house.

So who do you think will spill the beans to Amy that Sheldon was going to propose?  I know only Leonard and Penny know as of now, but I figure it's only a matter of time till the rest of the gang finds out.  I figure it will play out like the scene from Friends where they watch the video of Ross getting dressed to take Rachel to prom, unbeknownst to Rachel of course.

• Love 3

She was, but I'm miffed that Dave turned out to be such a dud. I wanted Amy to experience a real relationship with a good guy at least for a while before TPTB inevitably have her get back together with Sheldon. 

I agree, but at least a disappointing date is a real experience that women who are out there dating have. In that way, it's still a step forward tof her. Personally, if she never gets back together with Sheldon, I'd be fine with that, though I can't see the writers being that bold.

I wouldn't mind seeing Leonard hanging out with the ladies again. Sure, many of the jokes were at his expense, but on the other hand, one of the things to like about Leonard is that he's the only one of the four guys who could just tag along without making himself the center of attention. 

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 7

FWIW, according to IMDB, she was one of the ANTM models who answered the door when Raj and Howard tracked down the ANTM house way back in season 2.

Well, good thing Sheldon wasn't with them that night, 'cause he and his eidetic memory would have surely recognized her. Joking aside, I usually hate it when shows repurpose actors like that, but in this case I complete forgot about the ANTM episode. Seriously, aren't there enough struggling actors in Hollywood who could do all those one-off parts?

ETA: I looked it up on IMDB, and that episode was The Panty Piñata Polarization, so now I remember Raj and Howard showing up at the ANTM house.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 3

Amy's date reminded me way too much of Ricky Gervais. Glad that didn't last.

I'd never seen Stephen Merchant before, but he reminded me of a young Tim Curry.

Finally, an episode I liked.  Mayim Bialik was great!

I've actually liked every episode this season.  It's like the writers sat down and watched the best of past shows to mine what really makes BBT tick.  Mayim never disappoints.  Who knew she would "blossom" into such an acting talent?

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 4

I hated this episode. Sheldon is -- Surprise! Surprise! -- a giant d-bag again, not only to the young woman who answers the ad, but to his friends who are trying to help him, and, in fact, who came up with the idea and wrote his ad. Howard and Raj should have told him to fuck off when he called them, basically, whiney needy midgets.

The whole Sheldon dating/interested in sex is so repugnant to me.

Of course Amy's going to date a loser who has a giant man-crush on Sheldon and spends their entire date talking about him and is too clueless to know what a dick he's being.

Bernadette is extremely unpleasant to watch. She's a full-on nasty bitch to her friends all the time. Maybe she and Sheldon should hook up, so they can be assholes to each other without inflicting their nastiness on others.

• Love 2

I was just glad the show didn't have Amy be the one to complete the Craigslist challenge.

Honestly, I really don't want her to get back with Sheldon. He's insufferable and a truly horrible boyfriend, and based on how he described the relationship he wanted when he asked Raj and Howard to help him, he really has no desire to address any of the issues that led Amy to leave.

I want Amy to find someone awesome and for her to be happy. I don't mind if she has a few crappy dates first, because that's reality. For her to find the perfect person on her first date after the break up would be too TV easy. Real life is rarely that tidy. But ultimately, I do not want her to go back to Sheldon because everyone else is worse, or because she loves him despite that he treats her like shit. Even if he changes, which he's shown no sign of even wanting to do, I still wouldn't want her to go back just because everyone else is a dud. She needs to have good experiences and options. She's not actually the socially clueless hard to imagine who would match her kind of person anymore. She ought to be able to find someone who'd respect her, share her interests, and be into her romantically as well. So let's see it, show! If you can find someone for Howard and convince yourselves to pair up Leonard and Penny, surely you have the imagination for Amy to get what she's looking for as well.

• Love 15

I really enjoyed the episode. Lots of LOL moments for me. I echo the above comments about Mayim Balik. She's tremendous.

I really liked the Sheldon/Howrd/Rajesh moments too. Raj swooning over Sheldon's cow eyes, and Raj's sudden change of heart when he heard the knock at the door.

• Love 3

Small cute girls talking about how small and cute they are is very annoying so having Bernadette do it twice in one show just continues to make me hate her character. When she was first on the show she was sweet and I hate this narcissistic butch they've turned her into.

Is Dave's actor from England? He didn't sound like it so I was thinking Amy meant British, as in from Great Britain which encompasses Scotland, Wales or Ireland because his r's were odd for someone English.

• Love 2

I've actually liked every episode this season.  It's like the writers sat down and watched the best of past shows to mine what really makes BBT tick. 

Me too. I hope they keep it up. For the past few seasons, when they show up in syndication, I stop watching till it cycles back to the beginning again. But this season, I think I'd enjoy seeing over and over. :)

I was just glad the show didn't have Amy be the one to complete the Craigslist challenge.

Honestly, I really don't want her to get back with Sheldon. He's insufferable and a truly horrible boyfriend, and based on how he described the relationship he wanted when he asked Raj and Howard to help him, he really has no desire to address any of the issues that led Amy to leave.

I feel bad that Mayim (as an actor) is no longer one of the gang, but I also would be happier if they found Amy a new boyfriend and did not get her back with Sheldon. They were an interesting couple when they had the same social quirks, but now that Amy wants a real relationship, Sheldon is not the match for her.

Edited by buffynut
  • Love 5

Is Dave's actor from England? He didn't sound like it so I was thinking Amy meant British, as in from Great Britain which encompasses Scotland, Wales or Ireland because his r's were odd for someone English.

Dave was played by Stephen Merchant, and yes, he is English. He's from what is known as 'the west country', and his accent is from that area. It's not an accent you see often on US TV when they show an English person. Usually, it's either posh or cockney. Or god knows what in Frasier.

• Love 4

So who do you think will spill the beans to Amy that Sheldon was going to propose?

I'm calling Will Wheaton for that one, not L or P or anyone else in the gang they might let slip to. Fits with his jerk persona, even though he has less reasonable scenario to run into her/be talking her.

The details of the challenge were so specific, and they made a point of noting it was posted as from a noted physicist, given the clues I had no fear they'd have Amy complete it since I'd expect, even if Amy did see it on Craigslist, she'd be able to guess the source given the content of the challenge (especially due to flag-related content combined with the rest). So there's no way she'd go into it accidentally without realizing it was about Sheldon. I suppose they could've had her do it anyway, but not before 10pm after the bad date they'd already established her on. (Then again, I guess they could if she knew it were him from word one she could just go right there...but that'd sort of defeat the purpose of "Amy as the reveal" if they were going to go there.) Clunk successfully avoided!

The only part about the interaction that kind of bugged me was...ok he dismissed her for being late; that works with his internal logic. But I didn't like that he dismissed because she found the lecture boring. It was ambiguous whether she found the lecture boring because she found the topic boring (as Sheldon's reaction implied), or if she simply found the lecturer's approach boring, but is interested in the topic (why else would she have gone?). Maybe she totes loves that topic just as he does, and just went to a dud of a lecture. He's been to enough of Leonard's lectures, which he himself would say were poorly done that it bugged that he left out the possibility this particular lecture happened to be a fail. But she was still late.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 4

I saw the Dave-fangirling-over-Sheldon a mile away. Mayim acted the heck out of that scene. Dave should totally date/marry Sheldon... they are 2 of a kind...

I totaly expected Amy to be the one barging in at the 3...2...1... with Dave.

I can't believe sheldon turned Blonde Genius down. Wasnt that what he wanted? Being late by 3 seconds shouldnt be a deal breaker. Btw - wasnt this actress on Limitless a few weeks ago? She's dating 'Brian FInch' in real life? She looked very different here.

Btw, it didnt air in my area either due to football. But you can catch it on the cbs web site today probably.

• Love 1

I love that on this show it was thought to be logical that someone with an intense inner knowledge of physics, ancient languages, and archaic pop culture would not only be trolling Craigslist for a meaningful relationship, but be doing so in enough time to show up for a timed finale, to say nothing of a woman in 2015 willfully showing up to a strange apartment alone at night because of something she found, again, on Craigslist.

• Love 18

I saw the Dave-fangirling-over-Sheldon a mile away. Mayim acted the heck out of that scene. Dave should totally date/marry Sheldon... they are 2 of a kind...

It surprised me, because I wouldn't expect a math guy to be so into a specific physicist. it's not at always clear how famous Sheldon is supposed to be in the show's universe. Dave acted like he was Hawking or Penrose, but a couple of weeks ago, Sheldon couldn't even get helium from his department head.

But apparently, Sheldon has also published in number theory (singular primes were mentioned), so maybe that helps.

Considering the kind of relationship he had in mind for her, he did her a favor.

I still think of her as a contestant on America's Next Top Model.

• Love 1
So who do you think will spill the beans to Amy that Sheldon was going to propose?

It's so out of character for Penny not to immediately have told Amy that I can't get past it.

I absolutely want Sheldon and Amy back together; it may be the only reason I'm still watching this season. The damned way things are going it seems like the writers are not going to cooperate -- probably saving it for a finale cliff hanger.

I really liked this episode.  That was so typical of Sheldon to turn the young lady away based on her being late, and her hating the seminar.  Both storylines were really good, IMO. 

Sheldon would have turned her down no matter what. If it hadn't been for being late, it would have been something else.

I love that on this show it was thought to be logical that someone with an intense inner knowledge of physics, ancient languages, and archaic pop culture would not only be trolling Craigslist for a meaningful relationship, but be doing so in enough time to show up for a timed finale, to say nothing of a woman in 2015 willfully showing up to a strange apartment alone at night because of something she found, again, on Craigslist.

Aw, c'mon, guys - the whole point of the Craigslist joke was that even if the absolute perfect woman showed up at Sheldon's door, he'd STILL turn her down. Why? Not because he's asexual (he isn't) but because Sheldon loves Amy and nobody else can take her place - not even the "perfect" woman.

• Love 10

How annoying! TBBT and Life in Pieces was preempted by Football in my area! I now have to find alternate means to see this episode.

Lats night,here in metro NYC, when Channel 2 had the game, the "regular"Ch 2 programs were shown on WLYN.

Also, if your Cable company had "free on demand", the ep should be there, in a day or so.

This one was funny! Finally, an episode that reminds us why we love this show. "I got rid of all the really high heels when I married Leonard"

And the dude having a major man-crush on Sheldon.

I knew - just KNEW Sheldon wasn't gonna date that girl. She was perfect, and into him, but like someone upthread said, when you're not ready, you're not ready and he found the smallest of excuses to reject her. I think his heart is still w/Amy.

Please show, WHEN (not if, let's be real) you get them back together, let it be because SHELDON learned his lesson and treats Amy better? Please and thank you.

I would love it if the shamy got engaged and moved into the apartment so that Lenny can move on with their married lives. Like maybe take Bernie's old apartment since she's living in the House now.

Good episode. I actually laughed out loud for the first time this season.

• Love 3

Was the dating thing with the Brit dude going well with Amy before he went all cray over Sheldon? I mean, was he a promising prospect?  And I cringed when she said Sheldon's name to him. Just say, "my ex" sheesh.

Was the dating thing with the Brit dude going well with Amy before he went all cray over Sheldon? I mean, was he a promising prospect?  And I cringed when she said Sheldon's name to him.

It was the third date and Amy bought a new outfit for it, so she must have thought it was promising. Though seeing how utterly clueless Dave was on this date (going on about his wife's affair with the French baker before zeroing in on Sheldon) I wonder what they talked about on their first two dates that he managed to make a good impression.

• Love 2

No, the date wasn't going well and she was going to give him the brush-off. He talked too much about his ex wife and the french baker and never asked her even one question about herself or her life.

Then he zeroed in on Sheldon and that was all she wrote.

I secretly want the shamy back together. But not the way they were. I would like to see Sheldon treat Amy better. I keep trying to come up w/examples of him treating a female any way but rudely and I couldn't come up with even one. Shelly's even a prick to his MOTHER.

OOOH! I just had a very delicious thought. 

Sheldon allows AMY to draft the new relationship agreement!

Okay. I could get behind that.

Y'all listenin' writers?

• Love 6

It still bums me out the way Mayim Bialik delivers her lines these days, in a defeated, listless Debbie Downer type of way. During the first couple of seasons she was on the show she had a very clipped, almost robotic and emotionless way of speaking that was somewhat similar to Sheldon's. In fact that was her original purpose, to be essentially a female version of Sheldon. But for the past few seasons there's been an abrupt change in her speaking manner. I was more or less willing to hand-wave (or fanwank) the change to Amy's speech as a result of being beaten down by the dead-end relationship with Sheldon. But now she's trying to move on with other guys and she still speaks like she's on a heavy regime of Prozac - even when she's describing her now beau to Penny and Bernadette. I don't get it.

As for Bernadette's behavior, I chalk it up to something that was always there but just came out in full force once she married Howard. Let's face it, he needs the kind of wife that makes all the decisions, because most of the time he acts like a child. They're kind of perfect for each other.

• Love 2

I keep trying to come up w/examples of him treating a female any way but rudely and I couldn't come up with even one.

To be fair Sheldon doesn't treat anyone particularly nicely as a general thing,  It's part of his charm.

I'd like to see him say some snotty condescending "must be your time of the month" comment to her!  Not that he would - which does show that he has some awareness that certain comments are inappropriate even if he acts like he doesn't actually know that at all!

I thought Mayim's deadpan and resigned reactions to her date acting the way he did about Sheldon was great. She really did well in this episode, I think. Pity the guy turned out to be a dud, but hey someone was excited to meet Leonard! A plus for him I imagine. But yeah, bad date, sorry prospects. The first couple have dates must have gone well or well enough to progress to a third one.

Kaley seems... disinterested to me lately. Not sure if it her's personal life cropping up, or she's just bored with her role, but lately for me a lot of the stuff she's doing she really comes across as phoning it in. *shrugs* She seemed to liven up a little when she was doing that pharmaceuticals job (can't remember if she's still doing that...?) but just back to putting enough in for a paycheck. 

I kind of liked the call back to Raj and Howard to getting Sheldon a date. And the idea. I wanted to smack Sheldon though when he shut the door on her, and I was fully expecting it to. Poor dear.  Bernadette.. I'm not sure what to say about her.

• Love 1

Kaley seems... disinterested to me lately. Not sure if it her's personal life cropping up, or she's just bored with her role, but lately for me a lot of the stuff she's doing she really comes across as phoning it in. *shrugs*

Funny, the natural, easy chemistry she and Johnny had during the breakfast scene had me wondering if they're dating again IRL (depite their mutual statements to the contrary).  They seem like the most natural couple on the show, really comfortable with each other.  Maybe I'm an old, sentimental softie but I'd like to believe these two are endgame both on and off screen.

edited because these old eyes don't catch typos like they used to.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 7

I liked the episode. But I wish Dave and PerfectNerdy Girl had turned out to be normal and stuck around for a couple of episodes. It would be nice to see Amy and Sheldon date other people - not slapsticky caricatures, but actual normal, nice people.

Thank you! Was driving me crazy.

• Love 3

Funny, the natural, easy chemistry she and Johnny had during the breakfast scene had me wondering if they're dating again IRL (depite their mutual statements to the contrary).  The seem like the most natural couple on the show, really confortable with each other.  Maybe I'm an old, sentimental softie, but I'd like to believe these two are endgame both on and off screen.

I was thinking the same thing!

Especially if he didn't warn about the broken elevator, and he has a history of failing to do so.

I would have loved it if she had stopped Sheldon from shutting the door and said, "I know I'm late but I didn't know your elevator was broken down. It took me the final x number of seconds to take the stairs instead. You didn't include that in your calculations." Anything for someone to stun him for a change.

• Love 5

I would have loved it if she had stopped Sheldon from shutting the door and said, "I know I'm late but I didn't know your elevator was broken down. It took me the final x number of seconds to take the stairs instead. You didn't include that in your calculations." Anything for someone to stun him for a change.

Yeah, but if he wasn't already stunned by her looks (after having passed the braininess test), I doubt anything she could have said or done would have made a difference. Edited by shapeshifter

I keep trying to come up w/examples of him treating a female any way but rudely and I couldn't come up with even one.

Sheldon behaved pretty well as Raj's wingman. He did walk out on his date, but that was cluelessness, rather than rudeness. He seems to temporarily respect any woman who talks to him in a no-nonsense way; both Penny and Bernadette have done that, but I don't recall Amy ever trying that approach.

I don't know how to word this without sounding shallow but it kind of bothered me that the new guy in Amy's life was not exactly classically handsome while the new gal for Sheldon was gorgeous. 

• Love 6

I don't know how to word this without sounding shallow but it kind of bothered me that the new guy in Amy's life was not exactly classically handsome while the new gal for Sheldon was gorgeous.

Now I kind of want to see the new gal meet up and start dating Amy.

• Love 1