Type keyword(s) to search

Robyn Brown: She wanted the family, but got stuck with the man.

• Start Topic

No, not just you. I find her to be shifty, disingenuous, and just...up to something. She savors her Trophy Wife position. Cant wait til Ole Ratchet Jaw is knocked off her pedestal when W#5 comes along. I am sure Christine will agree, there is justice in the world.

• Applause 1
  • Love 6

I suspect it might be Robyn's (isn't that how she spells it?) sister; after all, they moved to LV, where SHE lives (along with their father), although of course that factoid is seldom if ever mentioned, particularly not as a motivation for the move there.  They appear occasionally.

I think it is strange that Robyn joins a family that has been established for years and she is not shy at all about trying to get her way. The business they have is her choice and she bemoaned Meri returning to school because it "puts more work on her." 

• Love 5

I think Robyn is by nature someone who just has to but in and have their say and relate everything to themselves. I used to do that as a kid and teen and I never realised how annoying it was for my friends and other people around me. 2nd she's really wrapped up in making her 2nd marriage work and in being the perfect polygamist and as she's been the new shiny toy she hasn't had as many of the downsides as the others so she just butts in even more. And I think she's also really conscious that she wasn't there for the last 20 years and is trying desperately to make up for that fact in her brain and for the viewers. Because seriously it has always been kind of laughable when she talks about raising the kids together and acts like the family historian.

• Love 10

If I liked Robyn I'd feel sorry for her because marrying these bankrupt idiots was a step up from her previous life. The flip side being: why would these idiots want another albatross who came with 3 expensive mini albatrosses? Were all the thin female polygamists with jobs taken?

• Love 8

I do understand the sympathy for Robyn's previous life. However, she created that life. She could have worked, she could have spent more responsibly. She could have delayed having children. If she didn't have these choices, she could have divorced earlier. If I saw a work wthic in her beyond attention seeking, I might feel differently. She seems the most lazy and entitled of the lot.

• Love 9

She certainly could have made better choices, most especially regarding her running up massive debts. However she was pretty young when she married the first time and obviously has some issues with losing her virginity before marriage (or without marriage), though I roll my eyes at the "stole" part unless further details emerge, and delaying babies doesn't seem to be anywhere on most mainline Mormons radar, let alone polygamous sects. As for her not divorcing earlier, yeah, well a lot of much stronger, independent women with live and jobs can have difficulty pulling that plug.

I definitely agree she seems entitled and lazy, i'll never forget her thinking she should just pop her bills on a counter the magic bill paying fairy will take care of them. And her idea of a family "business" is one where she sets it up then whines that if they can't get a loan then she can't pay someone else to run it whilst she has a baby.

The flip side being: why would these idiots want another albatross who came with 3 expensive mini albatrosses? Were all the thin female polygamists with jobs taken?

There must be a limit to the number of women available in this community, although you'd think a family who've already declared bankruptcy so much would be wary of someone else with massive debt. They should have picked another Janelle type, someone who wants kids and a partner but who would also have a job outside the home with Christine helping take care of the kids. Browsing the internet there does seem to be a niche market for that even within the Mormon community.  Kody was already shopping the show when getting to know Robyn, maybe he also figured better a thin 30 year old than a 22 year old to be less stereotypical of people images of polygamy and she was the one he knew at the time and she with Meri's help convinced him she's the one....fourth.

• Love 1

One of the things, among many, that bothers me about Robyn is her complete insistance that everyone share her MSWC dream, and not to, means that one is not dedicated to the family. If someone expected me to devote all of my time and dedicate my life to their dream, I'd be highly annoyed and resentful. Being the de facto leader of MSWC means she would be at the helm of the other wives' lives. I'm glad they didn't let that happen.

• Love 6
(edited)

I don't think Robyn is Kody's favorite lately.  With his new found appreciation of Christine and particularly Janelle they all seem about neck and neck, to me.  In fact, it strikes me that Kody is weary of her simpering.  

Edited by Granny58
  • Love 1
(edited)

Someday I would like to put in place a Universal Law that requires the phrase "my dream"* to be applied only to something, you know, WORTHWHILE, or useful, or at least, something that contributes something, ANYTHING to humankind.**

Because, seriously, Robyn, "your dream" was to run a crappy online joolry store?

* And that law is now my dream.

** This Law will also cover the phrase "my journey," which will be restricted upon pain of death to describing only an actual physical movement from one place to another.

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 8

I notice this season Robyn's son is getting airtime and every time he is on screen my heart kinda breaks. I have three kids on the spectrum and just don't see where there is any active treatment for him. Just finished the episode with the 4-wheelers and can't believe they didn't prepare him, have an action plan, or even give 2 seconds thought to how he was going to handle the situation.

I am hoping one of you know something positive about him.

We don't know what happens off camera.  The things we see are only a very tiny bit of what happens in their lives. 

Others have said that he doesn't want to be featured on the show so that's probably why we don't see much of him. 

Edited by gunderda
  • Love 5

I think Dayton's thrived in the last few years.  It seems counter-intuitive but that huge loud family doesn't seem to overwhelm him.  In fact, instead of being raised with only his drama-queen sisters, he's surrounded by and does well with the Brown boys, and they seem to support and encourage him.  I actually think all the adults are very sensitive to Dayton, and Robyn and Kody have spoken frankly about Asperger's, and what it entails.  I have a good friend whose son is an Aspie, and he flatly refuses to talk about it and acknowledge he has it. 

I know the ATV scene made some nervous, but I think it was handled well overall.  Dayton seemed to think it was a good experience, and he's the best judge (other than his own mother).  I don't think Robyn exploits or neglects Dayton, to me it's very clear that he's her favorite.

• Love 5

If I liked Robyn I'd feel sorry for her because marrying these bankrupt idiots was a step up from her previous life. The flip side being: why would these idiots want another albatross who came with 3 expensive mini albatrosses? Were all the thin female polygamists with jobs taken?

The available thin female polygamists with jobs were not there when Meri was scouting for a new wife.

(edited)

I was the one who posted that information. I just reverified the info by searching the Clark County Nevada Recorders website, searched for liens on real property for Robyn A. Brown and there are two liens from a hospital that date back to 2007. You have to sign up to get more information and I don't really want to do that. I believe someone from CJ's blog has seen those liens attached to Robyn's address when looking at mortgage information, so it is the same Robyn A. Brown.

Edited by Galloway Cave

I was the one who posted that information. I just reverified the info by searching the Clark County Nevada Recorders website, searched for liens on real property for Robyn A. Brown and there are two liens from a hospital that date back to 2007. You have to sign up to get more information and I don't really want to do that. I believe someone from CJ's blog has seen those liens attached to Robyn's address when looking at mortgage information, so it is the same Robyn A. Brown.

Oh wow!! I can't speak for everyone's experience with hospital billing, but when I was a broke grad student and ended up with $$$$'s in hospital bills, the hospital worked with me. For a few months I sent them $20 and they were fine with that. Did she just ignore their calls because of their debt-bleed-the-beast mentality.
  • Love 1

Since they date back to 2007, she has had eight years to pay them off, regardless of the original circumstances. Although part of that time was when she was single, she has been part of a family that has been paid for being on a reality show for five years now.

If I remember correctly, her ex-husband is also named on the liens, which may mean the bills could be for one of the kids.

She ran up the VS debt during her marriage to Jessop. I think they were married from 2000-2009 (I need to look that up to be sure; she had been divorced for 7 months when she met Kody). More than likely she had a VS store card she defaulted on. 

(edited)

I recently re-read an older article on Robyn's divorce stats. She walked away with $32,000 in debt, including the $1,000-ish VS charges. As for the hospital bills, CofCinci, some hospitals are a lot less user-friendly about making payments. I live in a rural area; our local hospital is run by a large corp that must be staffed by cyborgs. They will work out a payment structure, but their idea of affordable minimum payments is ludicrous, and they'll turn you over to collections even if you're regularly paying on your account. Once my husband mistakenly wrote the wrong amount on the final check, and shortly thereafter we got a collections letter for $0.31. That's right...thirty-one cents.

BUT....you're absolutely right: She's had ample time to pay up. If you have debts, you use your extra grocery money on your bills FIRST, then take a trip to Hawaii.

Editing because $3,2,000 isn't a number in the real world, although it might be in Kodyworld.

Edited by SometimesBites
  • Love 3
(edited)

BUT....you're absolutely right: She's had ample time to pay up. If you have debts, you use your extra grocery money on your bills FIRST, then take a trip to Hawaii.

We saw her going to a credit adviser to help clean up her debts (allegedly in just a few short weeks) when they were trying to qualify for home loans. You'd think the hospital bill would have been addressed then. She claims the VS bill has been paid in full but who knows.

iii, Robyn said on Twitter she had to buy long sleeve Ts, pajama pants and tall pants at VS because she has long legs. Apparently there are no other places on the internet that sells tall pants at cheap prices [eyes roll to back of head]. There were no Walmarts in her town.

Edited by Galloway Cave
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

I totally saw that but really are those pajamas that expensive ? Hard to believe. She buy 20 or something ???

Edited by iii
Apparently there are no other places on the internet that sells tall pants at cheap prices [eyes roll to back of head]. There were no Walmarts in her town.

Except, of course, for the mail order delivery available on the Walmart website.  Brain child must have missed that.  She is really incredible with her BS.

• Love 1
(edited)

Bottom line, whatever the specifics, she's a true Brown: she's all about the pleasure of the moment (Hawaii vacations, McMansions, "pants" she can't afford, etc.) and not at all about adult responsibilities (spending within one's means, fulfilling financial commitments to others, health insurance, etc.).

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 2

So even after going through that whole thing with the credit counselor and jumping through all those hoops to get the houses, Robyn's house still has a lien on it for a hospital bill from before she met Kody???? I am even more baffled on how they got the houses. Wouldn't she have had at least to be up to date in paying off whatever agreement she had with the hospital at the time of the mortgages to get them in the first place? So then she let it get behind enough since then to get a lien put on the house. Seems clear to me they have no intention of paying for those houses or staying there long term.

And something tells me she is managing to make being behind on the hospital bill her ex's fault.

It can take considerable time between the incurring of a bill and the point where the hospital would have filed suit for a lien.  I'm pretty sure she ignored a lot of collection calls during those years.  Since Robyn didn't own any assets before she hit the jackpot with the Brown crew, there was no point in the hospital trying to place a lien against her, but they may not have written off the debt.  As soon as someone on the accounting staff at the hospital saw those big fancy houses, a light bulb probably went on and they said, "We could put a lien on that!!!"

Regarding the Victoria's Secret bill . . . Robyn doesn't strike me as all that long-legged or long-armed.  And if she is, she could buy long t-shirts and pajama bottoms in the men's department.  When you're broke, you don't buy at VS.  Shoot, we're not broke, and I refuse to pay their prices.

But then we're speaking of a person who actually believes the crap she designs is marketable.  #nocommonsense

• Love 4

Pinesdale might not have a WalMart, but there is one, plus a K-mart essentially next door to it, right up the road less than an hour away in Missoula.  I lived in Missoula from 1994 to 1999, and shopped there regularly.  I'll be she went to the Victoria's Secret at Southgate Mall and bought all sorts of crap.  Which meant she had to quite literally drive right past the WalMart and Kmart to get there (there's only one main road up from the Bitterroot Valley). 

• Love 1
(edited)

Except, of course, for the mail order delivery available on the Walmart website.

Ah, but the key here is CREDIT CARDS! Doesn't matter if she wanted to drive to the stores or stores have online shopping/delivery. Which stores were stupid enough to give her a credit card? Same with the Target debt she had. The Browns were in the same situation with their credit card debt they wrote off in their bankruptcies- it was all credit card debt. But she could have tried for a card at, say, Newport News, rather than VS.

I agree with the hospital debt too, AZChristian. David Jessop may not own a home and they were waiting for one of the two to finally have real property to attach a lien.

Edited by Galloway Cave
  • Love 2

How does one manage to go into debt at Victoria's secret? $1,000? Was she buying to sell or something? So confusing

We saw her going to a credit adviser to help clean up her debts (allegedly in just a few short weeks) when they were trying to qualify for home loans. You'd think the hospital bill would have been addressed then. She claims the VS bill has been paid in full but who knows.

iii, Robyn said on Twitter she had to buy long sleeve Ts, pajama pants and tall pants at VS because she has long legs. Apparently there are no other places on the internet that sells tall pants at cheap prices [eyes roll to back of head]. There were no Walmarts in her town.

When I was in college (15 years ago), I had a roommate who ended up with something like $4k in credit card debt to Victoria's secret, American Eagle, AKA mall stores w/high interest credit cards. VS at the time had something like a 24% interest rate if bills weren't paid in full, so a couple of $30 bras and a $60 terry cloth track suit (yeah, we all wore those Juicy style suits) could easily get out of control if the person only paid the $10 minimum payment, or just didn't pay it at all.

As for long legs, that's another Total Bull Shit excuse. I am almost 5'9" with a 34 inch inseam (all legs, short waist), and there are plenty of places to buy cute jeans with long inseams that are far better quality and cuter than VS.  JcPenney, Macys, Kohls, Old Navy, Amazon.com, etc., even Target, all have instore and online options of long lengths. Yoga pants are the only thing, IMO, that during sem-annual sales, you can find cheaper at VS. 

Bottom line, Robyn bought things at VS because SHE WANTED TO.  VS is notorious for overpriced, low quality, but snug and sexy clothing. (Not sure about their undies, bc I don't want 3" of padding).  It's cheap material with not so great workmanship, at high prices, but VS is sexy. So, cue another Big Love Moment, with Nikki impulse shopping, because she's bored and impulsive, into $10k worth of cc debt she has to hide.

Ah, but the key here is CREDIT CARDS! Doesn't matter if she wanted to drive to the stores or stores have online shopping/delivery. Which stores were stupid enough to give her a credit card? Same with the Target debt she had. The Browns were in the same situation with their credit card debt they wrote off in their bankruptcies- it was all credit card debt. But she could have tried for a card at, say, Newport News, rather than VS.

I agree with the hospital debt too, AZChristian. David Jessop may not own a home and they were waiting for one of the two to finally have real property to attach a lien.

Those mall stores will give credit to anyone who applies and charge a really high interest.

• Love 5

Bottom line, whatever the specifics, she's a true Brown: she's all about the pleasure of the moment (Hawaii vacations, McMansions, "pants" she can't afford, etc.) and not at all about adult responsibilities (spending within one's means, fulfilling financial commitments to others, health insurance, etc.).

Yup...she's a perfect fit.

Bottom line, Robyn bought things at VS because SHE WANTED TO.

And she can claim it was for the tall pants till the cows come home but I bet there were a few Wonder Bras in there too. I'm sure life was difficult for her and the family in Pinesdale. But she refuses to be honest or take responsibility for her actions. If she just said "Yeah, I wanted nice things and I ran up a bill that I couldn't pay off" it would be an honest statement.

• Love 8
Bottom line, Robyn bought things at VS because SHE WANTED TO.  VS is notorious for overpriced, low quality, but snug and sexy clothing.

Because, of course, Jessop "stole her purity" and she has to dress modestly to make up for it and remain a religious woman, Oh, wait......

• Love 6

She can't admit to wanting to buy things from VS!  That wouldn't fit into her narrative that her ex MADE her buy lingerie so that they could have a little spice added to their "adult" activities!

Oh, wait...  She's probably telling Kody that they NEVER had sex, that she was repulsed by her ex and that the only times they did have sex was coerced.  *EYEROLL*  

You know that she was probably all over that Jessop boy like ugly on a monkey.  

And Kody probably tells her that he never touches or touched the other wives out of passion, only out of duty, and that he never touches them at all anymore -- only her.  

They're both delusional manipulators.  Long pants from VICTORIA'S SECRET, for crying out loud.  As if.  She may think that she's smarter than everyone else, but she's only smarter than the Browns if they believe all of her bullshit.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

She's probably telling Kody that they NEVER had sex, that she was repulsed by her ex and that the only times they did have sex was coerced.  *EYEROLL*

I would imagine she is trying hard to sell the hardscrabble story to the Browns, like she is to the public. She let it slip in the book she went to the dance to scope out Kody (and on the old Sister Wives blog, one of her relatives also commented that she went to the dance with the intent to find the family and become friends after hearing about the TV show prospects). She pursued the family, convinced Meri they needed her as the fifth wife. She needed a good story and her story was one of a young girl with stolen purity and unplanned pregnancy forced into a loveless, abusive marriage (with two more pregnancies), an ex-husband who denied her the finer things in life (cribs, sister wives, etc.), a struggling divorcee with a special needs child in a single-wide with no heat (for how long? Kody was courting her in St. George while she lived in a nice house with her mom, and she admits she had only been divorced for 7 months at that point). She has to keep up the Robyn Sad History so that the Browns don't regret bringing her into the family. Although with the various dramas, her insistence in interrupting and talking for everyone, and the PR nightmare she has created on Twitter, I don't know how long they can hang in there on Team Robyn. Even though I respect him for staying above the mess, I kind of want TLC to do a Very Special Episode with David Jessop next season just to get his side of the story. Might be an eye opener for Kody and the the Browns on the real Robyn. Or it could confirm some of what Robyn is saying, who knows.

• Love 3

And she can claim it was for the tall pants till the cows come home but I bet there were a few Wonder Bras in there too. I'm sure life was difficult for her and the family in Pinesdale. But she refuses to be honest or take responsibility for her actions. If she just said "Yeah, I wanted nice things and I ran up a bill that I couldn't pay off" it would be an honest statement.

THIS. Just be real. "That was a pretty awful time in my life. I was trying to cope, and I wish I'd done some things differently--we probably all feel like that sometimes." I'd have yards of respect for a statement like that. But it's not in their DNA.

• Love 3

Well, Robyn still can't shut up on Twitter. I can't even....

The original tweeter wasn't even going there.

From (______) 07 Mar 15

@ LuvgvsUwngs Tried really hard actually to understand. Still can't see value poly, aside from great mothering.

from Robyn 12:39am  07 Mar 15

@ (______) I think you need to look at it in terms of how many parents are there for the kids. Same sex couples don't have a mom and dad.

Oh, wait...  She's probably telling Kody that they NEVER had sex, that she was repulsed by her ex and that the only times they did have sex was coerced.

Well, he must have coerced the hell out of her since she had three kids.  Birth control costs a whole lot less that VS slinky lingerie.

• Love 3

I have long believed that David took a cash payment and signed a contract saying he wouldn't interfere with filming or give interviews, etc. A person who claimed to know Robyn and David when they were married in Pinesdale would occasionally post on the old Sister Wives Blog. She seemed truthful, even though we would never really know.

Anyhow, she posted that he didn't really do the internet or watch much TV, so she didn't know if he would have watched the show himself, but thought his family had and people in the community were talking about the show. Still he didn't say anything, and I'm sure some of the tabloids would offer him money to talk.

That same poster said that it was known that Robyn was a spendthrift and that David suffered from severe depression. I'm not sure if that was before the divorce info was leaked, but I saw the divorce info after and remembered her comment. After Robin Williams died, Robyn posted something on Twitter about how awful depression is, and fans kept asking if she was okay. She then posted about her being fine, but how hard it was on the families of depressed people also, and her prayers for his family. I again thought of that woman's comments.

He may just be above it all, and not want dragged back into her drama. Or, he might be in a downward spiral of his depression (if he has it) and not able to see the kids. But to stay quiet while she says she was abused (possible), implies he raped her (unlikely if reading the timeline of their relationship posted somewhere, they dated for a year or so before her pregnancy), and now that he is not paying child support and hasn't seen or contacted the kids just confirms my belief he is staying quiet because he has to. He also may not owe child support because of her TLC income, and she said it funny, like "the no child support" as opposed to him being in arrears. I also, unbelievable but true, have been wrong before.

• Love 1

Well, Robyn still can't shut up on Twitter. I can't even....

The original tweeter wasn't even going there.

From (______) 07 Mar 15

@ LuvgvsUwngs Tried really hard actually to understand. Still can't see value poly, aside from great mothering.

from Robyn 12:39am  07 Mar 15

@ (______) I think you need to look at it in terms of how many parents are there for the kids. Same sex couples don't have a mom and dad.

HUH? What a dingbat. What does that response even mean? How did same-sex couples enter the equation. Robyn needs to meet my cousin Tara, and her wife Andi. Their family is amazing, and their son is one of the happiest, most darling kids I've ever seen in my life. Old Revisionist Robyn could learn a LOT from them.

• Love 1

Dingbat, indeed. What is she doing up in the middle of the night answering tweets when she has school-age children and a toddler to deal with the next day? She also is allegedly swamped with work during the day too. I guess Kody wasn't around THAT night either. And if you want to get technical about it, polygamous families don't have a father around much. In the Brown family it is 25% of the time or less (if you are Christine). In the families with more wives, it's even less less. And as anyone with a sliver of a brain will point out, you don't need to have different sexed parents to raise children.

Robyn, I think the older Brown children are showing that they have managed to turn out just fine despite the clusterfuck known as the Brown Family Kaos with multiple parents. It will take a bit of time to see if the younger ones will survive the TLC-induced madness.