Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Polygamous Cul-de-Sac

Message added by Scarlett45

I  understand the fear, concern, heartbreak, and stress in this current situation. I ask that we please remember the politics policy. Keep politics, political references, and political figures (past and present) out of the discussion.

Stay safe and healthy. 

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

My surgeon told me to stop wearing them before my first knee surgery.  Apparently they aren't good on the knees.  But they are great for plantar fasciitis, and they were comfortable.  But I have severe knee issues, so no more Berks.  (and yes, my knee issues are really "severe", and I DO go to PT regularly, unlike BME)

I know they aren’t for everyone!  But glad you know not to wear them to aggravate your knees. I also like crocs sandals. I’m between sizes so the closed ones never feel right 

• Love 2

I could never wear Birkenstocks.  Being short and shapely anything that clunky would make my feet look huge.  But it's not even that.  I somehow can't walk in them.  Anything with a dished out footbed doesn't work for me.  Is anyone old enough to remember "Earth shoes"?  I could never wear those either.  I have low arches plus another issue from being short is that shoes are proportioned for bigger people.  We have petite clothing but not shoes proportioned for petites.  So certain shoes are always a problem for me.  Like running shoes.  They are too long from the tongue to the toe so that creates proportion issues.  When they fit that way they don't fit in other ways.  It sucks.

I mentioned Frye boots earlier -  Even as a 100 lb. teenager with skinny legs, I almost couldn't wear them because of that proportion issue.  They were too tall for me.  Even the ones that were mid calf were sized to end just before a woman's calf starts to reach its widest point.  Well, on me they came up higher than that so they were too skinny where my calf started getting wider.  It wasn't that I had a wide calf either.  My legs were just smaller and so my calves started to get wider lower down than they do on taller women.  I had the same problem with riding boots, although fortunately they came in various heights so if I got them in wide calf they could work for me.  I say "could" because it didn't always work.  I learned all of this several years ago on a site dedicated to wide calf boots.  Anyway, one of the reasons I am so into things fitting properly is because I've had a lot of difficulty finding things that fit me well.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I used to wear the heck out of Birks until the nerve issues put the kibosh on it. I've kept them just in case I can wear them again someday. Podiatrists can do custom Birks or other shoes. Depending on medical foot issues, insurance will pay for most of it, or all of it. (I used to medical assist at a pod office and did the foot casts and ordering for the custom shoes.)

Thank you for the new-to-me shoe brands! I've heard of Vionic but haven't explored.

Gramto6:

I've been trolling the internet, and simply cannot find those! I've found similar, but not exact. I just did a contact us text to Ugg to see if they can help and tell us the style name and what year they were made. (Not sure if they will, but thought it was worth a try)

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Thought I’d join the shoe-discussion… Lots of people love Birkenstocks because they’re apparently so comfortable but they make my personal top 10 of “the ugliest things on planet Earth!” No Birkenstocks in the D-household!

Uggs are not the prettiest either yet very comfy, but so expensive over here! I like the boots for winter though. A couple of years ago I found a pair of “Ugg” boots from Skechers! Skechers makes the most comfortable shoes on the planet and my boots were about a third of the Ugg price😉

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, LilyD said:

Skechers makes the most comfortable shoes on the planet and my boots were about a third of the Ugg price😉

Most of the shoes in my closet are Skechers now.  They're unbelievably comfortable and they have zillions of really cute styles.  Plus they tend to run wide, which I like.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, LilyD said:

Thought I’d join the shoe-discussion… Lots of people love Birkenstocks because they’re apparently so comfortable but they make my personal top 10 of “the ugliest things on planet Earth!” No Birkenstocks in the D-household!

Uggs are not the prettiest either yet very comfy, but so expensive over here! I like the boots for winter though. A couple of years ago I found a pair of “Ugg” boots from Skechers! Skechers makes the most comfortable shoes on the planet and my boots were about a third of the Ugg price😉

Ugg boots can be super cute, the taller boots anyways. I thrift them and never pay full price (cute furry Uggs image below). 

E39E2A5A-A8D6-4DA4-9B53-E121AAECC6C7.jpeg

• Love 5
2 hours ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

Gramto6:

I've been trolling the internet, and simply cannot find those! I've found similar, but not exact. I just did a contact us text to Ugg to see if they can help and tell us the style name and what year they were made. (Not sure if they will, but thought it was worth a try)

Thanks! I hope they do reply to you, I'd love to find another pair!

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Thanks! I hope they do reply to you, I'd love to find another pair!

Well, Gram, I tried!

The person who responded I think did her best. She wrote that she did "extensive research" (in less than 3 minutes, but ok) but she was unable to find that exact model.

She wrote that she believes they no longer make it (um, DUH) but thinks it's an old version of the Coquette style slipper. (I think that's the name of the new slipper pic, posted by Joan or Argh?)  I'm rather shocked that Ugg doesn't have a database with all of their previous and current style numbers, or an information catalog of everything they've made. Is that weird, or am I expecting too much?

The closest I can find to yours, is the older Solvang, the older Langford--the newer Langford is nice, but the heel isn't as tall.

• Useful 4

To answer your question Sunnybebe…

We originally had engineered wood siding on our house built for us (so new build) It was fine for a while, but after a number of years it began to fail. Moisture got into the siding around the windows and because the planks are basically sawdust mixed with glue they began to swell in the winter and shrink in the summer to the point the planks that started out butting up to each other had a 3 or 4 inch gap in between! … I will say we live in Western Washington state so we have lots of rain and there were some manufacturers at that time making a subpar product, but I would never trust it again. We replaced ours with Hardie Plank (don’t know if it’s actually James Hardie brand) siding which is basically a cement product that looks exactly like wood - we have planks and decorative shingles and they have been amazing, plus no woodpecker worries 😆.

• Useful 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Shieldmaiden said:

To answer your question Sunnybebe…

We originally had engineered wood siding on our house built for us (so new build) It was fine for a while, but after a number of years it began to fail. Moisture got into the siding around the windows and because the planks are basically sawdust mixed with glue they began to swell in the winter and shrink in the summer to the point the planks that started out butting up to each other had a 3 or 4 inch gap in between! … I will say we live in Western Washington state so we have lots of rain and there were some manufacturers at that time making a subpar product, but I would never trust it again. We replaced ours with Hardie Plank (don’t know if it’s actually James Hardie brand) siding which is basically a cement product that looks exactly like wood - we have planks and decorative shingles and they have been amazing, plus no woodpecker worries 😆.

That’s wild.  Thanks for telling me.  I have read tons about it, but not many people in NC have it. Not many companies advertise that they know how to install it either.  Maybe, that’s why I hadn’t heard about the issues you describe.  I’m in NC and we get a fair amount of rain….plus, the humidity is horrible.  I have read about the cement product.  I will explore that further.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

I second the recommendation for Hardie boards or planks. It comes in many styles (planks, shingles, board and batten etc).  They are warranted for 50 years, have Baked-on color with greater resistance to fading, chipping and cracking, meaning less maintenance.  Expensive, but made to last.

Yes, you'd want to make sure you have someone who knows how to install it properly and certainly not over rotten wood like Maddie & Caleb did it!  Between the rotten wood and buried swimming pool in the back yard, did they even get the place inspected before buying it?

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 4
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

Well, Gram, I tried!

The person who responded I think did her best. She wrote that she did "extensive research" (in less than 3 minutes, but ok) but she was unable to find that exact model.

She wrote that she believes they no longer make it (um, DUH) but thinks it's an old version of the Coquette style slipper. (I think that's the name of the new slipper pic, posted by Joan or Argh?)  I'm rather shocked that Ugg doesn't have a database with all of their previous and current style numbers, or an information catalog of everything they've made. Is that weird, or am I expecting too much?

The closest I can find to yours, is the older Solvang, the older Langford--the newer Langford is nice, but the heel isn't as tall.

True.  You would think they would at least keep a copy of each catalog.  

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

Sometimes the "mind blown" emoji might fit but not always.

Ya not a fan of the new list of emojis…

Are we supposed to hand out teddy bear hug emojis instead of sad?

and if we have a thumbs up and applause why can’t we have a thumbs down? 

teddy bear hugs, rainbow, fire etc I don’t get it.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, xwordfanatik said:

No more sad emoji?  I wonder why.

on another site I post on they removed the SAD emoji because people used them to troll opinions they didn't agree with

I've had that happen to me on a couple forums on this board as well so maybe that's why.

• Useful 6
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

No more sad emoji?  I wonder why.

Is it me, or are some of those new emoji’s confusing? No idea what the teddy represents or the emoji with exploding brains or the fire? My 10-year-old will probably know, I must be getting old….

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Joan of Argh said:

Ya not a fan of the new list of emojis…

Are we supposed to hand out teddy bear hug emojis instead of sad?

and if we have a thumbs up and applause why can’t we have a thumbs down? 

teddy bear hugs, rainbow, fire etc I don’t get it.

I kinda love them. Way more options! 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
38 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

I kinda love them. Way more options! 

I’d be ok with them if we also had emojis to show we disagree with an opinion… this new list is a bit too sanitized and flowery for me.

applause, thumbs up, teddy bears, hearts. rainbows… what’s the problem with having at least one emoji to show you don’t agree with an opinion?

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
16 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

I’d be ok with them if we also had emojis to show we disagree with an opinion… this new list is a bit too sanitized and flowery for me.

applause, thumbs up, teddy bears, hearts. rainbows… what’s the problem with having at least one emoji to show you don’t agree with an opinion?

At least a thumbs down emoji if the sad emoji seems to hurt someone's feelings? I only ever used the sad when the post made me feel sad about the situation the person was posting about.

The world is becoming way too PC for me any more...

• Love 8
20 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

Now I'm wondering if I have offended some people inadvertently.  I have used the "sad" emoji when  tying show to empathy to someone's situation.

• Hugs 2
  • Love 9

Looks like there are only 3 of the emojis I will be using going forward... The like, the laugh and the lightbulb. Sorry but I am an old lady and don't need rainbows, teddy bears or fire to quantify my comments.

• Love 7
(edited)
2 hours ago, LilyD said:

Is it me, or are some of those new emoji’s confusing? No idea what the teddy represents or the emoji with exploding brains or the fire? My 10-year-old will probably know, I must be getting old….

Teddy bear us a hug,  which I think is nice. Fire for me would be anger and the exploding head could be anger or amazement. 

Edited by crazycatlady58
  • Useful 5
11 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Looks like there are only 3 of the emojis I will be using going forward... The like, the laugh and the lightbulb. Sorry but I am an old lady and don't need rainbows, teddy bears or fire to quantify my comments.

Being a COL, I may not use the new ones.  Well, maybe the wink.

I've also used the sad emoji when the poster shares bad/sad news.  The last thing I want to do is offend someone, so I hope I haven't done that, especially on this, my favorite snark forum.  

• Love 14
50 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

Now I'm wondering if I have offended some people inadvertently.  I have used the "sad" emoji when  tying show to empathy to someone's situation.

I doubt it ....  the times I've seen it used as a trolling tool it was obvious and the same group of people would use it over and over to show how disturbed they were with your opinion.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
  • Love 2

In the past I used the sad emoji if the situation being posted about makes me feel sad, or if I find the posted situation sad for those involved.  If I disagree with any post I generally just move on, and I don't think I ever used the sad emoji as a weapon against fellow posters.  I wish they'd bring it back.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Teddy bear us a hug,  which I think is nice. Fire for me would be anger and the exploding head could be anger or amazement. 

Yeah . if we need descriptions I think the emojis are a little over the top.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Rabbit Hutch said:

In the past I used the sad emoji if the situation being posted about makes me feel sad, or if I find the posted situation sad for those involved.  If I disagree with any post I generally just move on, and I don't think I ever used the sad emoji as a weapon against fellow posters.  I wish they'd bring it back.

I did the same - the sad emoji was used a lot with Kootie trying to kill off his kids or ignore their medical issues.  If I don't agree with a post I just ignore it.

• Hugs 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 7

I did take the time to offer my input to the Mod of the group about the new emojis.  Not speaking for anyone but myself but I said that I thought so many were kind of nebulous even when they are "named".  Apparently the fire one means "it's lit" which, of course, is equally mysterious to me. 

But as a COL, I am not used to communicating with emojis.  I communicate with, well, words.

• Hugs 1
  • Fire 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9
Just now, Cetacean said:

I did take the time to offer my input to the Mod of the group about the new emojis.  Not speaking for anyone but myself but I said that I thought so many were kind of nebulous even when they are "named".  Apparently the fire one means "it's lit" which, of course, is equally mysterious to me. 

But as a COL, I am not used to communicating with emojis.  I communicate with, well, words.

@Cetacean, I just gave you an "it's lit" to be silly.  

Poll to the group:  how many of you use "it's lit" in conversation?  I do not, and I hang with my 16-year-old niece all the time (who also doesn't use it)!  😆

• Hugs 1
  • Fire 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 5

To add to the shoe discussion- I’ve been OBSESSED with the Clark’s Cloudsteppers line for a few years. Perfect for actual commuting, dog walking, travel- yet they come in all styles, sandals, work shoes etc.  So incredibly comfortable and durable. I will pay good money for shoes but I do not want my SOLE on the ground. I could never get into Rothy’s even though the colors were so cute because there was no SOLE, so flimsy. 

I also like Softwalk for similar reasons. 

• Useful 3
8 minutes ago, CouchTater said:

@Cetacean, I just gave you an "it's lit" to be silly.  

Poll to the group:  how many of you use "it's lit" in conversation?  I do not, and I hang with my 16-year-old niece all the time (who also doesn't use it)!  😆

Never.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 5
15 minutes ago, CouchTater said:

I don't know anyone who uses it and that's from age 5 to 93.  

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Rabbit Hutch said:

It’s back!  😂

• Applause 7
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, Sandy W said:

Me too; also I've used it because the other emojis all seemed wrong and Meri doing something pathetic is sad, not the person posting about it.  Now I'd worry that someone might get the wrong impression if I used the "wink" emoji.  I noticed the "heart" emoji here is now orangey red instead of hot pink. I prefer the previous one.

• Love 7
(edited)

I never use "I'm lit" and never plan to.  Another thing I hate is if you start saying something and the (younger) person you're talking to cuts you off with a staccato "Got It", when you know they haven't "got it" since they didn't let you finish the sentence and the most important point. 

Edited by deirdra
  • Like 1
  • Love 6

Using the sad emoji to express grief, disappointment or sadness is fair in my opinion. That’s what it expresses. Its use to show you disagree is completely beyond me. The same goes for the fire and it’s lit. Emojis are meant to keep things simple right??

Frankly I don’t see any reason why we’d need a thumbs down or any emoji to show disagreement. Most posters will either ignore a post or politely comment on it, which is good as it shows why you disagree. And it leaves the option to clarify or enter a responsible dialog. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6
6 minutes ago, LilyD said:

Using the sad emoji to express grief, disappointment or sadness is fair in my opinion. That’s what it expresses. Its use to show you disagree is completely beyond me. The same goes for the fire and it’s lit. Emojis are meant to keep things simple right??

Frankly I don’t see any reason why we’d need a thumbs down or any emoji to show disagreement. Most posters will either ignore a post or politely comment on it, which is good as it shows why you disagree. And it leaves the option to clarify or enter a responsible dialog. 

So would someone tell this COL if 'it's lit' means the same as 'it's cool. '

• Love 3
1 hour ago, crazycatlady58 said:

So would someone tell this COL if 'it's lit' means the same as 'it's cool. '

Well let this soon to be 85 COL give my interpretation.  To me, "it's cool" would indicate agreement...it's fine by me...or recognition...it's cool that you passed your exam. 

Whereas, the fire (it's lit) emoji would recognize that something is trending ie: the latest shade of lipstick/nail polish...demand for a new model car or item of clothing, (would never be applied to anything produced by LLR except in the brainwashed minds of the minions.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7